Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1957 reviews (1465 good) (149 bad)

Review by degeester See Profile

• Location: La Quinta,Riverside,CA
Good "great PQ, fast internet, STB respond quickly, cheaper"
Bad "local cable lineup differs from the advertised lineup"
Overall "gives you better television service, better internet at better price"

I had been waiting for FIOS TV to come to my area. I watched my house being built and saw that Verizon was pre-wiring with fiber and copper. FIOS was available but TV was not available until two days ago. I signed up for 25/25 internet, Extreme TV package and phone service as soon as I heard that it was coming to the Palm Springs area. Installation took 4 hours, including installation of ONT, hooking up all the pre-wired RG-6, Cat 5e, installing the router, installing the STB's and provisioning and setting up the equipment. Locally the first day of the roll out Verizon completed 300 hundred installs. I did receive the Motorola QIP7232, asked for the Actiontec MI424WR rev G but he only had the rev F on the truck.

Verizon installer was professional, knowledgeable and courteous. He answered all my constant questions and even showed me how to properly use a pair of telecom scissors.

Had enough time in the afternoon to take the Time Warner equipment back. Half of the people in line were there with equipment in hand to turn back into Time Warner.

Comments:

Review by blunz See Profile

• Location: Silver Spring,Montgomery,MD
Good "Have had it for years and it's always worked well"
Bad "seems a little slower than when first purchased"
Overall "If you can get it, get it."

I'm locked into some rate I got year's ago. I generally get about 16 to 18 down, about 3 up. That's not quite the 25/5 but honestly I have no complaints. I use Vonage where I was another early adopter - a great service. I use Directv for tv, and I'm told that I could probably get cheaper from Fios - but it looks like it would only be cheaper at the start. I'm extremely happy with the package of channels I have with Directv and don't think Fios can match it.

I can't comment on service cause I've never needed it. I know Vonage has awful customer service, but there again, I've never needed it. Directv treats me great. I just put in the whole home package to use my two recorders anywhere and I didn't have to extend my contract.

I did want a static ip, but solved that with one of the wonderful services out there. I know it's boring to just be a satisfied customer, but that's where I'm at.

member for 13.7 years, 155 visits, last login: 1.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by robnitro See Profile

• Location: Woodhaven,Queens,NY
Good "Great internet speed, quick cable box, very friendly installer, UNION labor"
Overall "25/25 triple play, amazing speed, great price, TIME WARNER and other cable cannot compete :)"

Great installer, just got it 2 days ago. The technician was friendly, took her time to evaluate the best install configuration and was open to customizing the install. She was glad to switch the COAX MoCa install to an ethernet setup. She also gave extra effort to install the ONT indoors. I was told that the cable installers are more rushed because they are NON-UNION and are paid by the job, not by the hours they need to complete the job. Despite paying their labor less TIME WARNER charges the same price for internet and cable TV as FIOS does for all 3- plus an extra BOX!

Tested the connection with a couple of speed test locations. Normally I get 30 mbit down/ 26 mbit up. This is amazing on advertised 25/25 line. My previous Time Warner cable internet was advertised 10/0.5 and I would get 9.5/0.4. I have since switched my connection to my own router, but it is not recommended for those who are not tech savvy.

Fios makes cable look bad. Even if I had to pay $10 a month more, I think FIOS is a better deal. The technology is much more advanced, the technicians are paid better, and the vendor doesn't treat its customers like captives.

Comments:

Review by sdpmva See Profile

• Location: Sterling,Loudoun,VA
Good "Easy install, great tech, great speed"
Bad "Actiontech M1424WR is OK"
Overall "Still running strong after 3+ years!!!"

Installation completed on 2 November 2007. Tech called and said he as on his was in route (8-12 arrival time; arrived about 915). Install took about 3 1/2 hours. The provided Actiontech M1424WR router is just the worst I've seen! Little or no signal about 30 feet away. Getting great speeds (5/2 plan), running at about 5.1/1.7 (much better than my previous DSL).

Updated 11 November 2007 - Changed the channel on the Actiontech router (from the default) and now getting a GREAT signal throughout the house. Verizon coming back out this week to install TV and upgrade internet to 15/2 service. Cost of service is $128 (includes $99 for "Triple Play" package, $12.99 for HD DVR box, $4.99 for SD box, and all taxes and fees). Looking forward to the TV service and removing the dish from the deck!

Updated 7 December 2007 - Still running strong - FiOS is great!

Updated 28 March 2009 - Service is still running great after about 1 1/2 years. No problems to date.

Updated 12 April 2009 - Upgraded service to 20/5 and HD Extreme Package for same current price. Term extended about 6 months

Updated 15 November 2009 - Still running strong with no problems to date. Tried for speed upgrade to 25/15, but price would go up. Happy with 20/5.

Updated 15 December 2010 - Still going strong after three years!!! Had an issue with HD/DVR, but tech came out and replaced box at no charge (even left a new/updated remote). Have added Apple TV to the system to stream movies from Netflix and other such things, as well as a box to stream foreign language TV from overseas (IPTV). All is well in FiOs land.

member for 9.2 years, 1149 visits, last login: 2.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by linuxx See Profile

• Location: Bear,New Castle,DE
Good "Awesome speed"
Bad "email@verizon.net and Broadband Essentials"
Overall "Keep the service - Stay away from the extra packages."

speed: 35/35 Mbps speed test: 42/26 Mbps

IMO The best internet connection in the US.
FIOS fiber optics never fails.

Stay away from the Broadband Essentials - Verizon Internet Security Suite & Verizon Online Backup and Sharing - It is a bundle of crap.

The email (???@VERIZON.NET) which is issued to you on signup is filled with SPAM. I do not use it.

Be careful when talking to the customer service they will add Unlimited Games + Starz(R) Play Pak at a cost of $20.98 per month to your account without your permission.

member for 9.8 years, 44 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by Daddio1949 See Profile

• Location: Rockville,Montgomery,MD
Good "The service is great, especially when they wired one room."

I've had FIOS for many years now and the service is better than Comcast, which we had before.

member for 14.2 years, 3909 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by bajajoe See Profile

• Location: Teaneck,Bergen,NJ
Good "Speed Down and Upload Great; What took so long?"
Overall "I'm hooked."

update Dec 2010 service 35/35 price $49.00 Excellent!

I ordered 20/5 @$39.95 on a Thursday Dec 2006 night and was installed on that Saturday. The install went fantastic from the start. The installer was very professional and neat.No dropped wire debris etc and he was very willing to run the new wiring where ever I said. At the same time I was switched to fiber telephone too.I installed my own wireless router D- 624 instead of the Actiontec supplied it required one setting to be changed to Dynamic IP and the first speed test was 20/4.3. Smooth.Now my office needs the upload speeds too. They followed up with a call to see if everything was fine.One note I had echoes for the calls placed to the same co I called and reported the issue and in a few hours it was fixed. My experience near 10 out of 10.
45 days and loving the upload speeds!!! No problems with anything including my two calls to C.Service .

300 Days and no problems .....Flawless service,Only 1 or 2 few second loss of signals in a year. Bring on 20/20 VPN finally.
Over One year and still happy! Very few down time issues , all together around 1 hour for over a year.
12/2008 I now pay $44.95 per month 1 year agreement

Comments:

Review by ocsandman See Profile

• Location: Pasadena,Anne Arundel,MD
Good "It's all good."
Bad "It's not free."
Overall "Best available service in the Dena."

I have had the service since available (10/2008). I ordered it, they installed it, it has worked since. Originally ordered 10/2 triple play. Upgraded twice and currently have 35/35 ultimate triple play. I have had no billing problems or service interruptions.

Comments:

Review by stevek1949 See Profile

• Location: Virginia Beach,Virginia Beach City,VA
Good "Great Installation"
Bad "None yet. I reserver the right to...."
Overall "Great!"

The house was pre-wired for broadband, but the default install was for Cox Cable HSI. I had Fios installed instead.

The date was arranged on the phone, had several phone reminders. The installer called a half hour before arrival. Install took less than three hours including telephone, TV and internet.

Process was painless so far. The router is the Actiontec MI424WR-D, firmware 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.

Got the 15/2 package, standard TV with the Home Media DVR and standard phone. Speed is great compared to my previous DSL. The upgrade was easy, fast and painless.

I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Upgraded to 25/15. Year three coming up!

member for 12.3 years, 4423 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Cpudan80 See Profile

• Location: Virginia Beach,Virginia Beach City,VA
Good "ZOOM! Relatively inexpensive for what you get"
Bad "Actiontec router sucks, install takes a long time - wont use Ethernet jack unless CAT5 is already there."
Overall "Great value, great service"

=== Summary ===
Took about two weeks to get it installed - but it works great! I've got the triple play with TV/Net (20 down/5 up)/Phone for about $130 per month. Great value for the money, crystal clear TV and lightning fast connection (over my own router - not the actiontec). Installer guy was top notch, and very easy to work with - even though the install took nearly 5 hours. He showed up on time and stayed after the install for a few minutes to show me how to work the on demand stuff.

=== The good ===
SPEED! I get every bit of the 20/5.Low latency -- about 20ms to hit the DC tester on speedtest. TV picture is *much* clearer than cable.

=== The bad ===
The actiontec router is worthless and made the service go very slow (or at least it seemed that way). Everything started running better after I bridged the router over to my own device. I eventually got my ONT reprovisioned for ethernet so I could ditch the bridging all together. (The bridge deletes itself if the actiontec loses power.)

=== The ugly ===
The bill - while correct in my case - is absolutely horrendous. It is extremely difficult to read, and they throw charges and credits in all over the place. Luckily the net number was correct, but I'll have to watch it for a few more cycles to make sure it stays that way.

=== The install ===
Takes about 4-5 hours. If you want to use your own router (non actiontec) - you really should run a CAT5 (standard straight-thru) to the ONT before the install. Basically - the installer will drill a hole in your house and run a wire inside for the battery backup unit. The electrical cable attached to it is about 6-8 ft long, so you need to be relatively close to an outlet.

In my case, the main cable drop for house runs outside into a box with a splitter (installed by the cable company). The installer guy just ran a coax cable over to that splitter from the ONT -- and connected that as the "main line" as if it were coming from the cable company.

He did a similar thing with the phone. He ran a CAT5 patch cable between the ONT and my old copper box. He obviously disconnected the existing copper (from the ground) and replaced it with the CAT5 to the ONT. *He did not rip out the copper.* It would have been difficult for him to do that - as it is in a piece of PVC pipe.

=== The horrendous Actiontec ===
1: You think it does static IP leases, but they expire every 24 hours -- I think that makes them dynamic!
2: You think it will work well because it looks slick on the outside, don't be fooled.
3: It can be updated by VZ at any time -- as they can push firmware to it as they see fit
4: The menu system it uses makes it hard to navigate, the stuff you want to change is often buried deep in some hidden menu

=== TV/Phone ===
No change on the phones for me. Except, I now hear the databurst for call waiting on one of my phones (just one.) Not sure what's up with that...

The TV is amazing. No, they don't have a bazillion HD channels, but they have quite a few. The on demand content is excellent -- a lot of it is free. The only downside is that the regular HD box (non DVR) freezes up for about 10 seconds on occasion. Not really sure why that happens.

=== Other tips ===
1. Use DDWRT on your router and give your STBs static IPs and priority QoS to improve VOD quality.
2: Enable the DNS cache on DDWRT, it seems like Verizon's DNSs are slow.

=== Updates ===
1/13/09 : Everything still running well. Rebundled my package to 20/5 with more HD boxes and channels at a lower price.

11/20/09 : Everything is good here, switched out some of my STBs to high def, including the MR-DVR. The DVR hard disk space is pretty small - but it works ok. Speed is OK, I can't quite get 20/5 exactly - usually a little less (~17/4.5) - not real sure why that is.

12/08/10: Still going strong. My download speed is actually a little faster at 25 Mb/s. Upload still clocks in right around 5.0.