Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1955 reviews (1464 good) (148 bad)

Review by Toppil See Profile

• Location: Audubon,Camden,NJ
Good "Stable, always full bandwidth, provided router reliable and full-featured for the average user"

Good service that's been reliable from day one. The provided router (Actiontec) is full-featured and for the average user, will provide all the router features needed.

Comments:

Review by kdwycha See Profile

• Location: Riverview,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Speed, Reliability, and Can Use Own Router"
Bad "Customer Support Is Horrible"
Overall "As long as you are tech savy and dont need support it is great :)"

·Bright House Net..
UPDATE 11/19/2010 -

Well it has been quite a few years with FiOS and everything is still rock solid. I have not had an outage since the last report in 2008. TV works well as well. I did have to have the Actiontec replaced twice but that is only used for TV anyway. Internet did not go down since I only use my router and it only effected the program guide on the TV for a couple of days. They always next day air a new actiontech so you are always in business.

UPDATE 06/22/2008 -
Internet still going strong without 1 outtage after 241 days. Still on the 10/2 plan and it works flawlessly.

Just got FiOS TV and setup went well. Im using CAT5 from the ONT to my router D-Link DIR655 then have that going to the MI-424R. Installer wasnt too keen on that but VOD and multiroom DVR work so he had me explain how to use my own router. Anyway TV service is the same as directv but a little cheaper.

Phone service is ...well phone service. Beats vonage anyday..at least there is a dialtone everytime i pick it up

All in all a must have

-------

Well it took about 30 days from order to install. Install went fine and took about 2 hours for cat5 install for internet and phone. Install was actually done 5 days before it was supposed to so I received a bill for almost 100 dollars for long distance charges. After 3 hours on the phone I finally got that credited. Other then customer support I have not had a problem using my own D-Link DIR-655 router with the service. Have had the same IP for almost 2 months. Connection never went down. I have the 10/2 plan. Get over 10mb/s down and about 1800kb/s up.

member for 12 years, 3080 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dick white See Profile

• Location: Annandale,Fairfax,VA
Good "Works very well if you know how to work around the stuff that doesn't"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "good"

The "sales" people know nothing about what is really going to happen. The on-site install techs are very good, but had to overcome shortcomings from elsewhere (drop from the pole not buried before the install date, upstream hub not set up correctly). The service billing is quad-play (TV/2 phone lines/internet/3 cell phones), hence the monster monthly charge, but it's actually a better overall value than anything else we could get. Despite the reputation for bad billing, ours has been correct so far.

Update - renewed for another 2-years of basic tier quad-play at an attractive discount, but with their typical unconscionable early termination fees. I luckily never had any of the billing issues that VZ is infamous for. They got the bill right the first time and I am terrified of calling them about anything lest they completely fuck it up in the process of resolving some other unrelated matter. Fortunately, I haven't had a need to call them about anything.

Further Update - still no problems, working well, good speeds (lowest tier is faster than I need).

member for 14.9 years, 5611 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by kaos333 See Profile

• Location: Elkridge,Howard,MD
Good "Fast, reliable, and price competitive."
Overall "The best in the region. Get it."

Excellent product. It beats the competition (Comcast) on every level. If you are in the Baltimore Washington Corridor there is nothing better.

Update 11/17/10 - Still with FIOS, still loving it. I upgraded to the 35/35 tier internet plan and it is truly a wonderful experience. I stream HD movies without issue. It just works.

Comments:

Review by jsenter See Profile

• Location: Bethesda,Montgomery,MD
Good "They did show up to do the instqalation"
Bad "They have terrable tech support"

I got Verizon’s FIOS TV/Internet/voice package installed yesterday. By the end of today I decided to keep the package but get speakeasy to install a DSL connection for internet. It became funny to realize that it was cheaper to use Version residential service for my TV and voice (and keep the internet connection which I will not use) and get an internet DSL connection with a static IP number than to move to the equivalent setup with Verizon business.

I thought I could live without a static IP and I probably could have but I quickly found out that Version blocked port 25 for outgoing mail and that was a deal breaker. I did not realize that did this and called tech support. After waiting on hold for 2 hours I had a particularly nasty tech support person who eventually told me that port 25 was blocked.

So I called Verizon Business service today. In a process that took 4 hours I was quoted 4 different prices ranging from $156-$226 for the exact same service. The $156 price worked out to the same price as the cost of Verizon and Speakeasy combined and when I told the sales person I would take the deal he said they need to run a credit check and put me on hold for an hour. At the hour mark I decided to recall Verizon. The next rep quoted me $226 for the same service. I told him that I had been quoted a different price a few minutes ago but he said that that was the only price he could give me. I called back looking for the original price but instead got 2 more different prices. I looked on the Verizon business web page and they had some good prices listed as specials but when I clicked on them and they went to other more expensive options.

I will drop my version cell phone service (and just keep my work one) and that should cover the cost of the Speakeasy account.

In conclusion, I have always been amazed on how much effort Verizon puts into chasseing away customers. I think that one I am set up I am pretty easy to deal with and like to stick with the same vendor but every time I deal with Verizon I feel like I am spinning my wheels and get substandard services. I will give the TV and voice a shot and see how they are. If it does not work out I can always port my phone number to Speakeasy and use Comcast for my TV.

Comments:

Review by ZzBloopzZ See Profile

• Location: Burtonsville,Montgomery,MD
Good "Fast! No Caps, and reliable. Not a single disconnection in months."
Bad "Absolutely nothing!"
Overall "This is the BEST broadband in America!"

I have had FIOS since 2005 when they first started deployment. I remember there was one year where I had not a single disconnection. Their speeds are top notch, they don't have monthly caps unlike Comcast (250GB/month cap for both download + upload combined). FIOS is simply the BEST!

I also have the Ultimate HD package and the HD programming is more crisp/clear than Direct TV and Dish Network (we tried them all). My only complaint is that rates seems to be slowly increasing, but that is normal as rates for competitors also have gone up. Fiber is very expensive to implement, so I don't blame them... it's so worth it!

If you are one of the fortunate ones to get access to FIOS, get it!

Comments:

Review by jbgroup1 See Profile

• Location: Beltsville,Prince Georges,MD
Good "Fast Speed"
Bad "Unremarkable"
Overall "Eh! It's the internet. TV is alright."

·T-Mobile US
It took a while to get setup (two weeks after moving in to my house) but once setup I have been very happy with the service. I was a little bit disappointed by the DVR because ReplayTV would use all the available space to record live TV. It took some getting used to with the one hour record time for live television. I was happy with the dual tuner recording but I wish it would work better and one could have access to the second tuner. As for the internet it is very fast and does not have the slowdown that I had with Comcast. I get all of my speed all of the time. I have the 15/15 package and the HD DVR although I do not have an HDTV. Overall it is very good but largely unremarkable.

Update 11 Sept 2008: I now have the 20/20 package and the television is great. The other quibles still stand however the new IMG is better than the one that was there when I started.

Update 22 Oct 2009: I now have the 25/15 which is provisioned at 25/25 and am still pleased with the service. I no longer use the DVR regularly (I use the television with the digital adapter mostly)

Update 14-Nov-2009: No change from 22-Oct. Now not under contract.

member for 14.8 years, 6109 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Frostbite See Profile

• Location: Framingham,Middlesex,MA
Good "Fast speeds, stable service"
Bad "Residential service does not allow for Static IP Address, current router does not do full-spec Wireless-N service"
Overall "If FiOS is in your neighborhood, run, don't walk, to it."

We've been waiting for FiOS to be in our neighborhood for about three years, after a Verizon tech working on our third, failed copper pair told us it was coming. Finally, signs of its approach were evident when the condo complex announced they'd hired a general contractor to come in and install fiber conduit in all the buildings. When it became available at the beginning of August, my family and I didn't wait very long to place our order. Within the space of a week, the service was online.

We ordered the basic 15/5 service with triple-play. I considered boosting the Internet service to 25/25, but I didn't want the added expense and wasted cable channels that came along with the mid-tier package. Coming from a DSL background, 15/5 would be five times faster than anything I had with DSL.

I did reach out to Verizon through their web chat feature on the Verizon web site and got all of my questions answered prior to placing my order. I would have loved to have kept my static IP type of service from my previous DSL provider, but Verizon doesn't offer that service to residential customers, and I wasn't about to convert the home phone line to a business account. In the end, I couldn't really justify changing the account to keep static IP and so I fondly bid it adieu as I canceled my DSL line.

Later that week, Verizon came out first thing in the morning and began to work on our installation. He got the ONT installed and wired in short order, got our Internet service going and spent the rest of his time installing the cable TV boxes in the rooms. He did run into one problem activating the cable TV box in my room because it was a brand new model (Motorola QIP-7100-2) which wasn't yet in his activation program; however, his quick phone call into provisioning got that sorted out manually. The only concern I had about the installer was his assertion that WEP (the default wireless security on the router) was good enough. Shortly after he left, I changed the default passwords and activated WPA2 wireless security.

Prior to installing FiOS, I had a separate POTS line for a resold Verizon-based DSL service. As part of the installation, my installer did not disconnect this service. Perhaps this is the case because not everyone in our building has converted to fiber and so there is no point in trying to remove our copper link yet. Regardless, once the FiOS service was up and running, I had that DSL service and POTS line canceled.

Our home voicemail was not activated for a few days and only got resolved on a web chat with a Verizon CSR. She determined that the proper order was not completed for Digital Voice, and she had it addressed. Unfortunately, provisioning wasn't available on the weekend, so it had to wait until Monday, but it did get resolved when she said it would be resolved.

My only disappointment with the equipment he installed is the limitation of Wireless-N on the router. The ActionTec MI-424WR Rev F (2nd Gen) does not have dual antennas, does not do MIMO and so cannot properly support the 130 or 300Mbps speeds that the full Wireless-N spec calls out. Further, on Wireless-N, the data flow seemed unstable at best. At best, one will get 65Mbps on Wireless-N, so it's just as well to downgrade to Wireless-G, which is far more stable.

Verizon is apparently fluffing up the speeds it offers to customers, because the new line regularly tests at 20/5.65.

Aside from the disappointment with the lack of static IP option in the service and full-spec Wireless-N in the router, I've been pleased with the service. It's been quite reliable and stable.

member for 14.7 years, 4204 visits, last login: 132 days ago

Comments:

Review by pstauff See Profile

• Location: Gaithersburg,Montgomery,MD
Good "The reliability is excellent."
Bad "My original was botched up. I landed up canceling it and replacing a month later."
Overall "Great service, less than good installation coordination."

I ordered double play, 15/5 Internet and FiOS Digital Voice. Both have been fantastic. Service is 100% reliable. I am disappointed in the wireless G spec in the Actiontec router, so I added my Linksys wireless N router to the mix.

member for 9.8 years, 2089 visits, last login: 105 days ago

Comments:

Review by syrgeek See Profile

• Location: Syracuse,Onondaga,NY
Good "Fastest Internet and Best TV Service"

Have had Fios since last May, 35/35 Internet smokes never have a problem.
The picture quality, even on SD channels, is far superior to TW. Love the MRDVR and remote web to manage my dvr no one else offers anything like it.