Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1940 reviews (1455 good) (145 bad)

Review by Littlebit92 See Profile

• Location: Buffalo,Erie,NY
Good "Really fast"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "happy"

We have only had FIOS since 7/30/10
We bundled it and have the ultimate 35/35
The FIOS install went very well. The installer did a beautiful job. Everything was done very neatly and he cleaned up after himself.
100% satisfaction so far

Comments:

Review by garimacsrivastava

• Location: Ashburn,Loudoun,VA

At the time of order they didn't tell us about all those hidden instalation cost. On their ad it will show no instalation cost . Just make sure ask the instalation guy all those cost . if you are going to live in new construction area they might charge you all those hidden cost for equipment . Don't sign very long contract with them . If case they will charge you extra bucks .You can get rid of them soon instead of paying very heavy fine.

And for international chanel ( south asia) ask them all those detail upfornt.you can not choose only one chanel . dish network , comcast , or direct tv will let you choose one chanel but here you can't .

(review was emailed from domain yahoo.com)

Comments:

Review by rotel See Profile

• Location: Jersey City,Hudson,NJ
Bad "Verizion assigning blacklisted ip block to customer"

About a year ago I alerted Verizon customer service about my ip after I found out it was blacklisted in couple of places, since i'm assigned a dynamic IP and have no choice but to depend on whatever ip Verizon assigned to me. Here is what I noticed, if you are assigned one of this blacklisted ip which is the case with me ever since we open account with Verizion.

1) Your search engine would be affected, implies almost every search would return garbage

2) your sent and received email would be affected, implies exchange servers would see a blacklisted ip and route your email to spam folder, email sent to you may not reach you and bounce back to the sender.

I have been trying to resolve this problem with Verizon wish me good luck.

Comments:

Review by BG5150 See Profile

• Location: Middletown,Monmouth,NJ
Good "Faster than DSL"
Bad "I don't see any"
Overall "I like the FiOS service"

I used to use Verizon DSL and I was happy with it, it served my downloading and uploading and gaming needs.

I switched to FiOS for the bundle; It costs me about $140 a month for phone, i-net and TV. Each service is $33/mo, plus $12 for converter boxes, plus $16 for some movie channels and then some taxes & fees. Just upgraded to their introductory HD package, with no extension of contract (it was 2-years) or increase in price. Got a free wireless modem and free installation.

(However, they initially charged me for the installation ($125), but I called and complained. They wanted me to pay it first and then they'd credit me. I told them, no way I was paying it at all. The next month it was off my bill.

I had a couple of technical questions, and they answered promptly and correctly .

UPDATE:

Still satisfied with the service. 2 year contract was up in July. I re-upped for 2 years and actually saw my bill DROP 4 bucks. The new HD package I got just has about 8 less channels, most of them HD versions of some news channels, which I can still see in normal-def. Plus got HBO/Showtime free for 6 months which, hopefully, I'll remember to cancel before the end of December.

Comments:

Review by Babylon1 See Profile

• Location: Valley Stream,Nassau,NY
Good "Excellent picture quality even on old TV's, Free on demand, Guarenteed Internet Speeds , Digital voice has more features"
Bad "Once in a while the Set top boxes need to be reset"
Overall "Cablevision vs FIOS - FIOS wins, its not even a contest."

Switched from Cablevision to FIOS on June 29th 2010. The install was done by one technician who was very through and neat. There was no mess made in my house what so ever. Now Cablevision was Ok, it did what it had to but the internet speeds were never consisant. I paid for 30 over 5 and would only hit those speeds providing noboby in the neighborhod was sharing the connection as CV's uses the shared pipe technology as per their technicicians.

Most of the time, I ended up with 18 over 4.5 - not bad if your not a speed freak.

FIOS has a much faster connection, once installed, I got 35 over 35 consistant with no deviation what so even at peak times. So the internet package is a win win. Also the router is very user friendly and networking was easy through the Verizon system. So FIOS blows Optimum away on the internet.

Television - I ended up with ultimate HD package, it gave me more channels than I had with Cable, free HD and free on demand for subscribed channels. Quality is excellent even on older TV's you can see the difference immediately & HD comes in very sharp. Once in a while, the sound goes out on the Set top boxes but a quick power off and on fixes the bug.

Telephone - Digital voice telephone is very clear and better than optimum voice. Although Optimum was very good, I give the upper hand to FIOS, there's more features including the ability to block out certain numbers and yes, the call ID appears on the TV screen just like Optimum.

Now for pricing - I paid $178 with CV, for basic TV, 30 over 5 internet that was never consisant and 2 phones numbers.

With Verizon I pay 3 dollars less and have so much more. So there's more bang for the buck with FIOS. If your thinking of switching, just do it, there's nothing to think about because in the end - its a win win situation & you will be very satisfied.

Comments:

Review by enguerrand See Profile

• Location: Gibsonton,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Great speed, low ping"
Bad "Quality of tech support is random, though has always been polite."
Overall "Nothing in the area can compete."

Brighthouse is the only other option where I'm at and is not competitive in bundle pricing. I get 20Mb / HD TV / ~unlimited US phone / HD DVR for the price.

Bonus is being able to tie coax and cat5 networks together using MoCA.

Comments:

Review by McBane See Profile

• Location: Plano,Collin,TX
Good "Awesome speeds up and down, best PQ,"
Bad "They have maxed their HD channel bandwidth, their customer service is also horrible, and FiOS VoIP service is a ripoff."
Overall "The best service currently available that isn't active FTTP"

FiOS service is great. You have awesome speeds, sometimes higher than what you order. The only negative points are they are out of QAM space for more HD channels and they have horrible customer service if anything breaks. As long as the service is up and working though its the best thing you could get, without going to Active FTTP which is VERY limited.

Also their voice service is a complete waste of money. If you have FiOS bandwidth you can get vonage or another VoIP provider for much less with more features and calling area. On FiOS internet, these services work seamlessly. Verizon really needs to start rolling out more competitive voice plans if they want to compete.

member for 6.3 years, 1704 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by blk_al_bundy See Profile

• Location: Richmond,Chesterfield,VA
Good "WAY MORE HD THAN COMCAST....NFL REDZONE CAUSE WITH THE PACKAGE"
Bad "NO B.E.T. HD YET"
Overall "FIOS EATS COMCAST ALIVE"

WELL I GOT MY FIOS INSTALL A WEEK AGO I LOVE IT....I MOVED FROM COMCAST.....VERIZON FIOS HAS ALL THERE HBO SHOWTIMES AND OTHER MOVIE CHANNELS IN HD...WITH COMCAST I HAD 1 HD HBO 1 HD STARZ CAN U BELIEVE THAT??....I ORDERED DA ULTIMATE HD PACKAGE SO THEY BOOSTED MY SPEED TO 35 MG..BUT IM NOT GETTING THAT IM GETTING BOUT 26 GUESS CAUSE IM WIRELESS...I CANT HARDWIRE CAUSE MY COMP DOSENT HAVE A ETHERNET PORT BUT OH WELL WHAT DA HELL DO I NEED 35MEG FOR??BUT ANYWAY OVERALL A SUPERIOR PRODUCT////.......

update 8-18-2010

just started get 40 megs since i chande my wireless security from wep to wpa cool

Comments:

Review by mapper See Profile

• Location: Fairfax,Fairfax,VA
Good "Reliable internet speed, flawless picture quality, clear phone service"
Bad "Ordering system is whack, many billing issues"
Overall "Great services for the price, but not so great customer service"

I ordered my service in late December of 2007 and I got it installed mid March 2008. At the time I placed the order, the promotion for FiOS was a $99.99 triple play with 5/2 Internet, FiOS TV Premier, and Freedom Essentials Phone.

The ordering process was hell, as I had to port my existing number from Cox to Verizon. Many customer representatives were shabby, unreliable, and were not informed about situations like this. I spent 65 hours trying to get Verizon to get my original home phone number to Verizon. Verizon missed 4 install dates, and had given me 5 order numbers to provision FiOS. Each time an order went through, it failed. I eventually had to get a temporary number while I was in the process of porting my number because Verizon kept failing the phone order over and over again.

When the installer arrived I was expecting shoddy work, but the tech was really quick and efficient. He arrived at 9 AM and installed the Alcatel-Lucent(GPON) ONT to the side of the house. He used fiber-glass fish rod to fish the power wire to my basement in the utility room where I wanted it. The provisioning was the longest part of this process taking around an hour. Once that was set up, he hooked up the phone lines, hooked up the Actiontec router(by MoCA) and then installed a SD STB(temporarily, as he was not notified of bringing a CableCARD). Guide came up in a few minutes and I was getting internet speeds reliably each time I did a speed test(which was not the case with Cox HSI).

The installation was finished around 11:30 AM, but I had to wait 2 1/2 weeks to get a tech to come out and install a CableCARD(very fast, took around 5 minutes). The installation was a great experience but the phone situation and the ordering process was terrible. Currently my bill still has many credits so I have not received one correct bill(as of yet).

I recommend getting Verizon FiOS, but be aware that if you are porting your number then you want to be careful with your order.

EDIT: 9/27/2008

Have had FiOS for 6 months now, service is great, especially with the new HD channels, but bills keep coming incorrect which is bothersome. It is truly great a service, but customer support needs to be improved. The CableCARD is quite reliable as I had experienced with Cox, but I get more bang for my buck. I may have to reevaluate my options when my contract expires(in another 18 months).

EDIT: 1/17/2009

CableCARD went down for a while, but a tech was able to do a simple reinit for the card, quite speedy service. Got the first correct bill! Very stable service I must say.

EDIT: 8/16/2010

Finally switched over from FiOS TV Premier to Extreme HD. The addition of channels is nice, but the internet bump to 25/25 is great (except I can't seem to get the full 25Mbps down or up yet). However, I just received a letter about CableCARD devices, so I'm not sure how that will hurt in the long run.

Comments:

Review by LouisMackey See Profile

• Location: South Plainfield,Middlesex,NJ
Good "Fast, Fast, did I mention its fast"
Bad "DVR software lacking"
Overall "Very good for the price"

Upgrading from Verizon DSL 3M to FIOS 25/25
Location; Central New Jersey

Got the Triple play package, even though we (wife and I) have Verizon Cell phones Quad play did not show any financial benefit and lock cell phones in for 24 more months.

Ordered online for best deal, received e-mail conformation by next day for scheduled install date. Got another e-mail Monday before install offering to confirm/reschedule/cancel, needed to reschedule as we were not quite ready (house wise) for them. Rescheduled via e-mail no problems -- got new date two weeks in future.

Got phone message asking for conformation of install day/evening before install, called Verizon, talked to human with order numbers various requirements (someone over 18 at home, TV accessible etc…)

Day of. Installer arrived at 9:30am checked out the existing phone, internet (DSL) and TV setups; needed a grounded outlet (house is 1950’s model, outlets not necessarily correctly grounded correctly); found correctly grounded outlet in basement and was able to install ONT and battery backup in garage powered from basement. Internet access was up and running by 12:30pm, installer broke for lunch. Returned in 1 hour, and had TV and phone up and running in no time at all.

Internet Speed as purchased is 25/25 speedtest.net reports 24/19 (on install day).

Phone, works as always no noticeable change in quality.

TV, Picture quality is excellent, HD DVR is OK, but nothing to write home about, we switched from DishNetwork and the Dish DVR is superior in many ways.

Setup of Favorite channels is painful. Guide is 10 days (plus) but also troublesome (clumsy).

member for 5.9 years, 330 visits, last login: 1 year ago