Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1911 reviews (1452 good) (133 bad)

Review by Bobby100 See Profile

• Location: Centreville,Fairfax,VA
Good "awesome speed"
Bad "none, so far"
Overall "get it, if you can"

Upgraded to 15/2 service, television. Internet speed is great, but probably overkill for most surfing and emailing type stuff. It is nice to get songs from iTunes in a matter on seconds, but really what's a minute or 2 difference. TV is a different story. Intermitently, I get pixelaztion, but I have not been able to determine if it's cable channel trouble, or a FiOS system trouble. Otherwise, it works great.

UPDATE: Upgraded to HD with the HD-DVR. The HD picture is awesome, Verizon just needs to add more channels. I have read that NoVa area will be getting more channels soon, just don't know when. The Motorola DVR is somewhat problematic. At least twice it has fouled up to the point where the remote fails to do anything. In both instances, the cure was to remove the power cord to reset it. Another annoying problem is the responsiveness of the IPG. It feels like it's a half second behind when changing channels at a fast rate. I'm hoping a software upgrade will cure the small problem. Mostly annoyances, but not deal breakers....

UPDATE #2 Recently upgraded again to 25/25. Still no problems. Fantastic upload speed makes updating Picasa albums a breeze.

Update #3 moved to 50/25 plan, and still loving FiOS. Replaced 160Gb DVR with 500Gb device for added storage. Running out of disk space while on vacation is not a problem. My only request would be to add HD channels for H2 and DIY

member for 13.5 years, 3744 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by bbtech6650 See Profile

• Location: Pittsburgh,Allegheny,PA
Good "Fast, Reliable"
Bad "Order to install longer than DSL, Actiontec wireless internet half-speed"
Overall "Great Service"

UPDATE: 11/12/2013

I had upgraded to 75/35 in 2012. Service is still very reliable. Patiently waiting for IPv6 to be activated.

UPDATE: 02/23/2011

Some time since the last update I upgraded to 25/25 Internet and dropped my home Verizon phone service. I've had my ONT swapped due to RF failure and data but no video service. Other than the freak problem with the ONT I've had 0 down-time.

UPDATE: 08/31/2009
Speeds still the same as ordered (20/5) No down time since the last update. I'm still really happy with the service.

UPDATE: 11/07/2008

I don't download much but I just downloaded a 1.4gb file at 2.39MB/s Needless to say, I'm very happy still with my service.

Ordered new service 7/18/08, received install date on last week of August.

Install date came, scheduled 8am-12pm tech called and was on-site at around 9am. Tech ran fiber drop and used the new Motorola JI ONT (ONT for use inside, mounted in the basement) installation was finished around 1pm.

I have all 3 services via Fios, the Internet package is 20/5 of which my speed tests are a mostly constant 19/4.9Mbps.

Comments:

Review by focuser See Profile

• Location: Elmwood Park,Bergen,NJ
Good "Great Deal"
Bad "Haven't seen any"
Overall "Get it !!"

·Optimum Online
I spent many years with Cablevision, and seven years with their internet service, it was the only show in town for me. I had their Gold package for TV, and 10/1, then 15/2 internet service, I never had their phone service, I need a reliable phone.

I always used Verizon as my voice provider, and hanging quite a few extras on the line jacked the price up to about $80 a month, plus Cablevisions monthly bill of $157, including DVR service, etc, etc. took me up to $240 or so. Their service (CV) was OK, not great.

I called Verizon regarding a small problem, and they told me Fios was available at my location, so I asked the rep to give me some quotes. They offered me the TV service, all the HBO's, Showtimes, Movie Channels, Starz, Encore, Flix, Sundance, all but Cinemax. Unlike CV, All the premium On Demand channels included. Many other VOD services included, two HD boxes, one being a DVR. A consistent 20/5 internet connection, including a wireless router, plus my phone service remaining unchanged, for $145, before taxes, plus a free 20" LCD HD TV.

I jumped on it.

I don't want to totally rip up CV, they are OK, if that is all that is available, but nowhere near the quality of Fios. Picture quality is far superior, particularly on HD, real sharp program guide, internet speeds are consistent, no prime time slow downs, like CV , and no CS telling you to reboot, it's probably your computer. The tech that did the install was a pro, all the people I spoke to on the phone were very knowledgeable, everything went great, start to finish.

All I can say is, if you can get it, do it, better quality, and better price......

Just a quick update, it just keeps getting better, tons of HD, and last month when they went all digital, they provided me with 3 extra boxes at no cost to be sure any other sets in the house would receive full programming...............

It's been three years, and just keeps getting better..............

Four years in, and I still think it is a good product, but the prices are climbing, you are locked into your bundle price, but the equipment charges keep climbing, DVR, boxes, etc. They've added some junk channels, removed some minor widgets, and are doing away with the media manager feature. My contract was to expire in 2013, When upgrading my internet speed, I was locked into another contract that expired in 2014, and when dropping into the next lower tier to try to lower the price, I was locked in again to a contract that expires in 2015. So be careful in any changes you make. Again, a good product, but if it climbs any higher in the short term, I am going back to Cablevision.

At least I will be out of these ridiculous contracts.....

member for 12.9 years, 4976 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Fullhouse

@verizon.net

Robbed by Verizon not once but twice!

I switched to FIOS once more after leaving them a few years ago in total disgust. During my previous nightmare in 2009, they charged me $350 for an 30 minute overseas call that was made from my home phone. I never make international calls and had explicitly asked to block that feature. They refused to credit me for these charges. I switched to Comcast and was quite happy for 4 years.

Earlier this year (2013), tempted by a triple play deal, I switched to FIOS. I noticed after the install that 2 specific channels - Disney and Food Network were not available in HD. I was able to watch many others though, in HD. After a few months of watching in SD, I decided to call them and ask for support. The phone agent tried, unsuccessfully, to reset the set top box remotely and said that she would need to send an tech to my house. She advised me to add a wire maintenance plan, along with a $40 initial charge, to cover the visit. I agreed to do that.

The Tech showed up a couple of days later as scheduled and spent 20 minutes at my house and said the problem was fixed. A couple of weeks later, the bill shows up along with $400 of additional charges (3 hours of technician labor and one data jack for $50). Needless to say, I was stunned since the tech had not performed any wiring work at all, let alone install a data jack, since that was not remotely related to any problem I had called in for!

I proceeded to make calls to Customer Service and after 2 separate calls and 2 hours over the phone, an agent agreed that I should not have to pay for any of the charges and said she would issue full credit, subject to higher approval. I kept checking and the credits never showed up in full. When I called, I was told the credits were denied since the charges were accurate.

I have emailed and sent a letter to Verizon expressing my disgust and that I felt I was being robbed in broad daylight. I asked for details on what work was performed for 3 hours at my house since I needed to know. I have not received any response and it has been a few weeks now.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. Their corporate policies are to rob the customer and since they have gotten so big, they figure a few bad incidents and lost customers don't hurt them one bit.

I will continue to battle with them for these totally incorrect charges have decided never ever to do business with them again.

If you are having an ok experience with them so far, pray every day that nothing goes wrong and you don't turn into a victim like me, since there is no recourse whatsoever!

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

Re: Robbed by Verizon not once but twice!

Did he actually fix the problem? That 3 hour charge and jack fee was caused by that spaz of a technician inputting what he did.

Review by tooch See Profile

• Location: Bradley Beach,Monmouth,NJ
Good "Faster speed than advertised."
Bad "Gets slightly pricier after one year"
Overall "A good deal, probably better than the cable company in your area."

Plan: It's a promotion; 35/35, Ultimate HD with Showtime for one year, ~$95/mo with taxes for year one, then I think ~$110/mo taxes for year two.

Internet: Speed is great! I had Cablevision for three weeks and canceled it because I was paying for Boost Plus (50/8) and getting an average of about 30-35/7.5. FiOS supposedly gives you a speed bump on the download side if you subscribe to TV, so my speeds are 42/33-35 depending on speed test.

TV: We don't really watch it but it's a better value to add it into your plan. Channels are good and the menus/channel changing are a lot faster than Cablevision.

---------------------------
February 2012

Downgraded to 25/25, internet only, since we weren't watching TV. $75/mo with taxes. Only problem we had was reps trying to re-sell us to TV because they couldn't believe that we really don't watch TV that much. Also, the 35/35 tier was surprisingly overkill for me. I rarely uploaded at a full 35Mbps and only downloaded from websites at 35Mbps a handful of times.

---------------------------
November 2013

Upgraded to 50/25 + local channels because with a two year contract it came out to $60/mo, or $15/mo cheaper than the 25/25 internet only for $75/mo. The 50/25, being that we have a video package, comes out to 58/38 which is a nice bonus.

The local channels were also a surprise, because I was expecting the basic national broadcast networks plus a couple local NJ stations, and we actually get 95 stations. Sure, most are crap/filler, and some aren't technically "stations" (10 or so channels of non-stop commercial loops for TV services?) but regardless, 95 is still a lot. I don't even need a receiver for them (despite the best efforts of uninformed sales reps saying otherwise); my TV has the QAM digital tuner required for receiver-less viewing.

Again from my previous reviews, I had two reps try to upsell me to a higher TV package when I called in with a question, a mere ten minutes after activating my new package.

Comments:

Review by Mahalo See Profile

• Location: united state
Good "Installation & Service"
Bad "Remote for TV"
Overall "Great Package"

Ordering service

I had to place the order a couple of times. The first time I placed the order for tv/net service it was placed under one order and it needed to be done under two separate orders since my employer would be paying for the net. As a result, when my employer tried to call and provide the billing info for the net part the order had to be cancelled to make two separate orders. If your employer will be paying for the net part, I suggest that you have all the payment information available at the time you place the order to prevent any delays or confusion.

Pre-installation

The day before the installation a rep came out to bury the line to the house. You can hardly tell where they laid the line.

Installation

The rep was a guy that was just out of the army. He stated that Verizon put him through a 2 month training program and few weeks of ride along before he was turn loose to perform installations. Very nice guy and did a good job with the installation and communicating to me what would be done.

I have heard that if you order both tv & net that you may get two reps during the installation. Tom (my rep) informed me that all the FIOS reps in this area will perform both tv & net installation. He stated the installation process is not perfected yet and they are writing the book as they go.

Service (Net)

I was previously a BrightHouse user and you will not hear me bashing them in this review for net service. BH always provided a great service and I only had one issue with connectivity. Speed was the only real draw back of BH. If I was playing a game or downloading a file, my wife would notice degradation in voice quality on the phone (Vonage). With 15/2 I don’t think I will have a problem any more. Speed test so far show 15000/1800.

Service (TV)

This is where BH is falling short. The quality of the video with Verizon is amazing. The local channels (not in HD) blow the same channels on BH away. There is a reason Verizon uses the slogan "Grab the light", it is night and day in the quality. The quality on all the other channels is even better. The channel line-up is better as well. Verizon did a good job of grouping the channels together. If you want sports, they are all in one block, movies in another and so on.

Update 9/6/2006

When I got home last night I was promptly met by a BH rep in my driveway. Apparently they are sending out their customer service reps to go door-to-door to check on how they are doing with their service. I informed him that I switched over to FIOS on Fri and provided him with a summary of my review above. Later that evening my neighbor down the street called me about my FIOS service. Apparently the same rep went to his house and my buddy wanted to compare prices. BH gave him the movies channels (HBO, Showtime, etc) for free and lowered his price by $10 bucks. I guess competition is good, but, why was BH not knocking on my door 6 months ago when they were the only provider in the area????? I guess the bleeding is just getting to bad for BH in my area.

In regards to the FIOS service, I was downloading the full BF2 1.4 patch last night and my wife complained that she lost sound on Big Brother (in HD). It worked fine when we flipped over to the regular channel.

9/8/2006 Update

Well maybe the downloading of the file was not causing the sound loss. Last night I was watching the evening news and I would notice a 1-2 sec break in the voice about every 20 mins on the HD channel and the shows my wife recorded would only play for a little while and stop. So today I called Verizon support and they performed a reinitialize of the DVR in hopes that it would correct the issue.

A little about reaching a support tech. If you don’t have a phone with Verizon, the auto-attendant makes it hard to get to a support rep. They have my cell number on file but when I tried to use that number it was unable to pull up my account. You have to go through about 10 prompts to finally get transferred to an actual person. Once I got someone everything was fine.

9/13/2006 Update

Still having problems with the DVR. Made one more call to tech support after the one mentioned above and issue continued. When I called last night I requested a replacement of the DVR since the previous two attempts did not resolve the issue. The tech was happy to schedule a tech to come to the house and replace the unit as well as perform some line quality test.

A little more about reaching a support tech. Still no better making it through the auto-attendant, but, I have found that you could be routed to two different places based on your selection. I usually do my responses as yes, no, no, yes, yes or something like that and I get routed to call center. This time I did something a little different and I got someone that was not in the call center. She was in a NY office. She then transferred me to Encore FIOS (in NY) group and then was transferred to someone in VA. All the reps stayed on the phone until I was transferred to next person instead of doing a blind transfer and all were very nice. Overall, I would have rather gotten the call center instead because the total call lasted 53 mins. I am usually on the phone with the call center no longer than 20 mins.

About the ActionTec router. The router has more features than the usual router and you can find a few sites that are helpful with most configurations. I find that the wireless signal strength is no better than the Linksys router that I used previously. I did have to setup port forwarding so my BF2 game would work, which I did not need to do when I was using my Linksys router. BF2 was not listed as pre-setup port forwarding option, but BF 1942 was, so I had to configure all the ports myself.

Updated 9/16

Two techs were at my house promptly at 8am. One began testing the signal on the lines and the other began working on the DVR. The signal to the DVR was at the lower end of the operating requirements so they changed out the filter to bump it up to the next level. The DVR was replaced with another unit. Watched HD channels almost all weekend and did not have any sound breaks. Techs provided me with 100ft of Cat5 line so I could do a drop to my computer and were off to another 10 hr day.

I'm dropping the Tech Support to a 4 due to all the problems I have had reaching them in the previous updates.

member for 13.3 years, 2938 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by FDM80 See Profile

• Location: Silver Spring,Montgomery,MD
Good "Very Reliable"
Bad "Price has increased 37% since original installation."
Overall "Acceptable service but has been uncompetitive on price over the last few years."

15/5 @ $55 per month.

member for 12.7 years, 4404 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dennismurphy See Profile

• Location: Parsippany,Morris,NJ
Good "Fast as hell, top-notch TV and voice quality"
Bad "Nada"
Overall "Still thrilled."

UPDATE: OCTOBER 2013:

Still thrilled with FiOS. Upgraded my Internet package to 75/35 service, dropped one of my phone lines, and I'm still very happy with it. Rock on.

------
I moved into a new home this past July (2011) and decided it was time to ride the light -- welcome to Verizon FiOS.

After some initial SNAFUs regarding my order and phone service (they lost my old phone number in the process), the service is up, running, and fantastic.

I have the 25/25mbit package, along with 2 FiOS Digital Voice phone lines and FiOS TV service.

Excellent quality all around! The Internet service clocks in consistently at 30mbit down/25mbit up (yes, over my rated speed!), and the voice product is excellent. I'm probably least happy with FiOS TV, but that doesn't mean I'm unhappy, just that I've been spoiled by a bakers' dozen years with DirecTV. I get occasional picture glitches which have been attributed to a bug in the set-top box firmware. Hopefully the VZ folks fix that soon.

I did manage to get in on the "Free Multi-Room DVR for Life" promotion, as well as a free SD set-top box. So, even with 3 DVRs and two additional STB's in the house, and a second phone line, I'm still saving $90/month over what I was paying for Optimum Online, Optimum Voice + DirecTV. I'm happy to have more than $1,000 extra in my pocket every year.

Overall, I miss my DirecTV for television, but I'm coping with FiOS TV (I miss it, but I'd miss the $1,000 more!) The rest, however (Internet and Phone) are absolutely top notch!

Good stuff - the billing is convoluted, and you have to stay on top of it, but once it 'settles in', everything is good.

member for 11.4 years, 5007 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by BosstonesOwn See Profile

• Location: Wakefield,Middlesex,MA
Good "awesome install tech and great tech support to switch from moca to ethernet"
Bad "none yet"
Overall "great value. awesome speed for a great price"

Ordered 75/35 since I'm in a legacy area they can't get me faster. However the speed is close to 100 mbit once I got off moca.

Order to install was 3 days. The technician they sent out had to run a new fiber drop. The old one was broken by the previous owners. It took 2 hours total and that included him setting up my remote.

member for 11.3 years, 3643 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by goofy256 See Profile

• Location: Woodbridge,Prince William,VA
Good "Price went down by $5 when I renewed "
Bad "No complaints"
Overall "Same price as DSL and telephone"

Update after introductory period:
Speed dropped to match the bill, 15/5. Felt slow, so I pay $11 more each month for 25/25.

Changed from Verizon DSL at 3Mbps to FiOS, paid for 15/5. Measured 22 up and 22 down, so that's better than my DSL service. Install was smooth, I was lucky and had two installers, so that went quickly. All e-mail and other accounts were intact after the change, so my wife didn't complain.

If the power fails for more than 8 hours, the telephone will be dead. I've never had that kind of power failure, so I don't know what I'm afraid of.

Update after 3 months:
Still very fast, the Verizon speed test says 25 down, 25 up. I also checked another speed test server at DSL Reports, in NetEasy in Parsippany New Jersey. That test was 23 down, 22 up. So, I'm getting more than I pay for.
Also, I don't subscribe to TV, and tried to plug the cable from the FIOS box into my television. No picture, unfortunately.

Comments:

Review by pupowski See Profile

• Location: Staten Island,Richmond,NY
Good "Great TV, fast, reliable internet"
Bad "Installation was a bit difficult, took over 6 hours, but it was done right when he finished."
Overall "Best quality and service available in my neighborhood"

Trouble free from date of installation, 75/25 and TV. Only down time was during 7 day power outage from superstorm sandy. Used to hate Verizon, but nothing to complain about since starting Fios, about 18 months ago. Fast, reliable, and no billing tricks. Way better than Time Warner, Comcast, Clear etc.