Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1918 reviews (1452 good) (138 bad)

Review by Rook008 See Profile

• Location: Far Rockaway,Queens,NY
Good "High speeds, Solid equipment, Good prices (bundled services)"
Bad "Disconnect between Verizon's phone reps and their website."
Overall "New customer deals are great with Fios."

Ordered Verizon Fios Triple Play, which includes:

"Quantum Internet" 75/35 speeds (Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I)

"Digital Voice" Phone service

"Ultimate HD" TV package (Three Motorola HD QIP 7100 1 Set-Top Boxes)

Went online and ordered Fios on October 10, set up an install date of Oct. 22, from 1 to 5 PM.

Verizon sent me some mail confirming my appointment, and followed up with an e-mail as well. So far, so good.

The Install:

About 90 minutes before the beginning of the install window, a tech calls to see if it was ok for him to start the install early. He arrives at around noon and we walk around the house pointing out where everything is located, including the original phone line, the TV's, the PC and the previous providers' (TWC) cable wiring. He gives me some options and we decide on a plan for the installation. He gets to work.

He runs some fiber to the side of the house and installs the ONT there, drills a hole in the side of the house and installs the backup battery stuff inside the house near a power outlet. He connects the ONT to the old phone box outside to feed the existing phone wiring inside.

He connects the old coax to the ONT (outside) and puts a 4-way splitter on the other end (inside) for the 2 TV's and the router (coax connection). There's a small TV near the splitter that just gets OTA signals right now, but the installer said I could just get a box from Verizon to hook it up with the extra port on the splitter. That was a pretty good idea on his part, as I ordered a third box from Verizon a while later.

He hooks up the set-top boxes to the TV's and sets up the Verizon remotes to turn them on. He sets up the router and runs some software from a USB stick. He says he wants to install some software (including Verizon In-Home Assistant) that I could look through and delete if I didn't want it. So far everything checks out and is working.

He answers a bunch of questions I had and explains a bunch of stuff about the set-top boxes, the remotes, and the router. He says he'd be sitting in his truck for a little while doing paperwork if I had any more questions.

The whole process from beginning to end took about 2.5 to 3 hours.

The Service and Equipment:

The internet speeds are great. I'm getting slightly more than the promised download and the connection is stable. Downloading a 1GB file in 2 minutes instead of 15 saves a bit of time. The Actiontec router has a couple of complicated configuration pages, but a little time taken to understand them gives good results. There's also a lot of information in there about the STB's. Wi-Fi range is adequate. User-name and a few passwords (router config, WPA2, WPS Pin) are listed on a sticker on the bottom of the router. "admin" and "password" are no longer the defaults to get into the router's config pages.

What can I say about the TV and Phone portions of the triple-play except that they work as intended. HD Video on the TV looks just as good as it did with TWC cable. The guide works well and is relatively quick. There are a lot of On-Demand options available as well.

The Motorola STB is huge (17" wide) which I wasn't expecting. It barely fit in my TV stand. It has a good compliment of connections in the back (HDMI, Component, Composite, Coax, Digital Audio out, Optical Audio out) which is a plus. Logitech has the STB in it's database so configuring my Harmony remote was pretty simple.

The Digital Voice phone service sounds as good as my old Verizon land-line did. Unlimited calls to anywhere in the US or Canada (and Puerto Rico, I think) is a plus.

Cons:

Losing NY1 (a cable news channel in NYC) was a bit of a tough pill to swallow.

The information that I got from the Verizon website is not the same information that I was given over the phone. The site doesn't work for a lot of stuff and tells you to call Verizon, where the reps have different information and pricing schemes. It's probably a good idea to check both before ordering if you're considering Fios.

The MY Verizon website is great when it works, but errors out often.

While the price I'll be paying is cheaper than standard TWC pricing (not introductory or "deal" pricing), it's still pretty high.

Other thoughts:

The installer was knowledgeable about the TV and Phone aspects of the triple play, was very professional, and was very patient about answering questions. I think he did an excellent job.

He re-used the existing coax to the TV's and the PC, which he said was in very good shape. I had run new RG-6 to one TV and the PC a week before because the old RG-59 wasn't looking too good. If he had to run new coax, I think Verizon would have charged me for the install and it would have taken longer.

I will update this review with the final price per month (after taxes and fees) as soon as I get my first bill and if anything about the service changes.

Any questions, just ask.

Update, July 2013: Went from "Extreme HD" to "Ultimate HD" and added a third STB. The total monthly cost listed above is accurate and includes all taxes and fees.

NFL Redzone is included in "Ultimate HD" as well as a bunch of movie channels.

All three aspects of the triple play are still going strong, no problems to report other than Hurricane Sandy causing me to lose power for about 20 days. Even though it wasn't Verizon's fault, I was issued a credit for that time period. That was pretty cool.

member for 12.4 years, 4929 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Rook008
Miles To Go
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY

Test Results

Speed Test:

Ping test:

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

Review by amarryat See Profile

• Location: Marshfield,Plymouth,MA
Good "Internet reliability & stability, HD TV"
Bad "Expensive, and still climbing"
Overall "awesome"

35/35 internet totally consistent.

4 years with one outage for several hours. Reliability is fantastic.

Steadily getting more expensive. Was $180/month, now I'm paying $210/month

member for 9.2 years, 2818 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by qpfox See Profile

• Location: Fort Belvoir,Fairfax,VA
Good "Fast enough, generally reliable."
Bad "Expensive. Repeat customers are treated like garbage. Netflix streaming quality is poor."
Overall "Marginally better than the competition, but they've been trading on the name too long."

My first two year contract was up last month, and when I tried to renew, I was told that the currently available deals were only for new customers. Since I have no choice but to go with FIOS (I live on an Army base in base housing), I had to bend over and accept whatever they wanted, which means I'm paying a significant amount over what I was paying. When I complained about this, the customer service person's solution was to suggest I downgrade my services (pick a lower TV package and lower internet speed), and then it would be "only" ten dollars more than I had been paying!

So... I should pay more for less service and be glad about it? I could seriously see the nipple rubbing a la South Park's cable company episode in my head during this conversation.

FIOS has gone from being the most coveted ISP in the country to one that's struggling to stay in the middle of the pack these days. I'd be giving Comcast's Xfinity a try if I wasn't forced to stay with FIOS by the Army base. Verizon has been trading on the goodwill they generated by forging ahead with fiber a decade ago, but the shine is off the apple.

Come and save us, Google Fiber.

member for 13.3 years, 347 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
NYC Girl
join:2007-02-04
Bronx, NY

Ha ha.

I cant WAIT for google fiber to be available.

Review by PhoenixDown See Profile

• Location: Fresh Meadows,Queens,NY
Good "Awesome speeds, TV is snappy and responsive, good quality."
Bad "I wish I had it five years sooner???? What's not to like."
Overall "Its FIOS, what more do I need to say??"

The quality of FIOS speaks for itself.

The internet speeds are phenomenal as one would expect but its the FIOS television service that really caught my attention. Picture quality and experience are a huge step up from what I was used too.

Technicians were friendly and knowledgeable and did a great job installing everything.

Awesomeness all around.

member for 11.1 years, 5914 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by greatwhite See Profile

• Location: Orchard Park,Erie,NY
Good "loving the fiber"
Bad "8 years and still goes like hell"
Overall "75/35 upgrade from 50/10 for next to nothing"

Upgraded to 75/35 from 50/10, What a difference..!!!
Had some issues with getting the system to accept the provisioning but once the router and ONT rebooted the problem was solved and we were warp speed ahead and peaking around 85/35..!!

Comments:
patt2k

join:2009-01-16

too high or what?

Wait what are you paying 99$ for? just 50/25?

I pay for TV Prime HD + 75/35 84.99 w/taxes 96 something.

greatwhite

join:2000-11-04
Orchard Park, NY

Re: too high or what?

That's for the 50/25 and FIOS voice..!!
Just wondering where you are and if you have voice on your contract too..??

the quote they gave me for the package with tv was for 2 room DVR and HD for around $150.00

starcaptor

join:2000-08-19
East Northport, NY

Gigabit router

I called tech support and complained of low speeds on my new 50/25 service (which is actually more like 60/40). My speed tests only showed 32/28 (same as my original package of 25/25). They ended up just sending me the gen3 router (Rev. I) overnight, which is the gigabit one with the N wireless (red).

The wireless on it is REALLY high performing...more than you would expect from telecom equipment. It matches the throughput on my E3000 router running DDWRT on the 2.4 ghz N band (around 57 mbps on a different floor).

I signed a contract (finally had to lose copper...sign). I am paying $85 a month for 50/25, digital voice, and Extreme HD with HBO and Showtime included. I have a corporate discount of $10 so its actually $75 a month.
patt2k

join:2009-01-16

Re: Gigabit router

now tell me the secret how you are getting Extreme HD for same price I pay for PRIME HD please lol.

Review by GlennAllen See Profile

• Location: Glen Allen,Henrico,VA
Good "Fast... on speed tests"
Bad "Anything involving streaming video from ANYWHERE"
Overall "No longer worth the money"

I ordered FiOS on 06Feb2007 using Verizon's online process. I picked the 30/5 tier because it's only $5/mo more than the 15/2 tier (for now), which I otherwise would have gone with--about $50/mo is my "sweet spot" for Internet access. Vz typically offers an 8-day turnaround for installs, but I had other scheduling concerns, so I requested a 27Feb install. Several days before the scheduled install date, I had a conflict arise--jury duty on the 27th. So, I rescheduled for a date beyond the current court session--20Mar, first install of the day again from 8:00 to noon. I had no problems with the order process or with rescheduling.

The tech called me at 8:00 AM on the morning of the install to let me know that he was at the CO, had to get some stuff there, and would be at my place shortly--he arrived a little after 8:30 and proceeded to start the install. I was only getting Internet, but plan on getting TV later this year after I get an HDTV, so he used coax to go from the ONT to the router (instead of Cat 5 or 5e)--but they seem to have a preference for using coax anyway. Everything seemed to progress at a normal pace, taking about 3 hours to complete. There were no problems with the install, and I've had no significant problems since.

I had set aside a PC for the install (which I usually do, except this one wasn't a "clean" PC). The PC had originally been configured for DSL, so the MTU was 1492. The FiOS optimizer didn't set the MTU up to 1500, which I didn't notice right away. When I did notice it later, I tested for fragmentation at 1500, found none, so I left it there, as well as setting the RWIN to an appropriate size for the new MTU. The new settings increased overall speed a little and greatly reduced jitter. For the most part, speed tests get close to 30-point-something down and between 4.4 and 4.6 up. The only thing I'm unhappy with is that when I do a speed test using the Vz site (in Texas), it says I'm getting 29.x down (fine) and 2.x up (not fine), and that my connection is "working normally"... 40% of 5M is "normal"?... nuh-uh. I suppose I'll call them on that eventually, but as long as the "real world" speeds seem about right, I'm not very concerned with Vz's "interpretation" of acceptable upload speeds for the 30/5 tier.

I've been using PingPlotter and some other tools to eval the connection, and generally the latency on the local Vz (FiOS) network is 6 or 7, and up to 11 or 12 on the non-local Vz network. After it leaves Vz, it could be just about anything, but it averages around 20, though spikes up to 70 aren't very unusual for Level3 or AboveNet. I do have a straight shot to Yahoo! now, which is useful, I guess, for those who choose the Yahoo! "experience".

The first bill included the pro-rated amount for March and the full month's amount for April--no surprises there. There's also a state (VA) tax of 0.80 and a local tax of 0.20.

Some downloads hit over 40 mbps; I downloaded one 24MB file in about 4 seconds. Typical sustained speeds are usually around 26 or 27 mbps. It's been fast and stable, so no complaints from me.

UPDATE: 29May2009 - first router went bad; called support--went through the usual "do this, do that" (about 25 minutes), but they still couldn't "see" the router, so they sent me a new one ("new", as in "used", but it works) which arrived the next morning (less than 24-hr turnaround); I plugged it in and was back online. Easy peasy.

UPDATE: 27Jul2013 - over the past few weeks to several months video streaming from Netflix, Crunchyroll, Amazon and anywhere else (with the possible exception of Hulu, which I only visit rarely and only in the mornings so it's hard to really tell) has gone to crap--nothing but "Loading..." every single time and for minutes at a time. Verizon is not worth considering as a provider if you have any interest in streaming video from anywhere on the Internet.

UPDATE: 30Jan2014 - back with Comcast now >> same speeds, half the price (Dear Verizon, thanks for all the fish.)

Comments:

dodgetech2

streaming

your issue is not with Verizon,its with Cogent
»Verizon FiOS and Netflix

Re: streaming

No, actually it's with Verizon.

When packets die on a router, it's the fault of whoever runs the router, not whoever sends the traffic to the router. This is all Verizon's fault. Period.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

1 recommendation

Re: streaming

If Im youtube and decide to run my servers via dialup connections, thats Verizons fault?

lol

Re: streaming

I'd like to address your arguments point by point... but you don't have any--you're pointless.

"lol" (What are you... 10?)

"Happy Customer"?

...still? ...really!?

It's interesting that the site's interpretation of my reducing the Connection Reliability rating down to zero still keeps my review among the "happy campers" group. (Well... I'm not happy.)

I think some weighting of the more essential parts of the equation is in order.

Re: "Happy Customer"?

you seem hell bent on blaming Verizon for this....but Verizon is not the only ISP having problems with streaming.....this is a peering problem...not an ISP problem....

Here is another article for you to read....»arstechnica.com/information-tech···e-video/

Re: "Happy Customer"?

I'm laying the blame where it belongs. (And, really, since when did one ISP misbehave differently from any other ISP?) Thanks, I've read plenty of opinion pieces on both sides; I'll stick to the network analyses. It's quite simple: Verizon thinks it has the right to not do what its customers are paying it for and, in fact, thinks it has the right to demand extort more money from others to pay for Verizon's cost of doing business. Get a clue.

Re: "Happy Customer"?

I dont see how you can lay the blame on Verizon when that article and many others clearly point out where the problem lies...Its clearly not a Verizon problem when all the major players have the same issues ...so I do have a clue....I also have no problem streaming Netflix or any other service....
Just go ahead and switch providers, this way you can review them and tell us all how bad they are because you still cant stream Netflix...

Re: "Happy Customer"?

"Clearly"? (You need to clean off your Verizon-tinted glasses.)

(You can stop wasting my time now. This is my review, not yours. It stands as it is--namely, accurate. Now go play with yourself somewhere else.)

Re: "Happy Customer"?

Yes, its your review on a public forum....which I have every right to post on.....

Re: "Happy Customer"?

Oh, by all means, continue to stand up for the lying ISP shithead executives who steal the money we pay them for service by sticking it into their pockets instead of putting enough of it back into the network in order to support their own traffic and provide the service we're paying for. I'm sure they appreciate your... "loyalty".

Re: "Happy Customer"?

You should take a stand and take your $56.00 a month to another ISP....I'm sure once the quarterly statement come in and CEO gets wind of it, they will do whatever is necessary to get you back.

Review by old_wiz_60 See Profile

• Location: Bedford,Middlesex,MA
Good "good speeds, good quality TV, good Tech Support."
Bad "Billing Service abominable,but can be corrected with patience, recently unstable"
Overall "After two good years, FIOS has gone downhill."

I have had FIOS for 1 year now in Bedford Mass. I was an early adopter. Installer was not familiar with my MAC, but I handled that part of it. I have only lost the connection once or twice and that was due to local power failure that left the entire neighborhood dark. I have not used tech support at all, so my rating for tech support is a guess. I have the lowest tier, 5MB, which was fine since I was on dialup. I have the dlink 624 router. Their website said it would not work wireless with a MAC, but it worked just fine. I suspect they say this so they don't have to try to do tech support. I don't use the verizon e-mail or their 'verizon central'. A little confusion on the install, they did it in two days, first day installed wire and the box outside, 2nd day inside. I ordered via web.

----------

Updated 12/11/07. We upgraded to triple play with FIOS TV on 12/3/07. Interesting setup, needed new router (which they provided) since the schedule is received via the net. Saved a bit of money due to triple play (had Comcast before for cable). They were late arriving, but did call, and techs apologized and said other install went over expected time. Contrast to the original install, the techs knew more about the system (which isn't surprising as they've had time to learn the newer stuff). FIOS Tv runs fine, at least as well as Comcast, and we get more channels for lower price. No problems since install.

-------------------------------------

Update July 25, 2008. Now we have billing issues. In May, they raised the price of the internet connection by disconnecting and reconnecting, ignoring the fact we signed for two years. (Billing tried to fix it, but apparently they can't.) This apparently caused rest of system to think we no longer have the triple play. Our monthly bill went from $ 138 to $ 180! I'm now planning to dump FIOS TV; it's not worth the new prices. The billing people try to help, but they are stuck with a computer system that is hideous. FIOS TV is now $80 per month, where before it was $62. I can't figure out how they can get away with raising prices after agreeing to keep the price for 2 years!

-------------------------------------

Updated July 28. After speaking with a Verizon rep they told us the billing system is known to screw up like this. They apologized and told me they would issue a credit and it will be correct next month. I'm happy they can correct the billing - the service is great otherwise.

--------------------------

August 25, 2008. Not surprisingly, the Verizon billing is STILL screwed up! Despite repeated calls and "promises" to fix it, Verizon is unable or UNWILLING to fix it. Our bill should be 141 per month according to the Verizon reps, but this time it is $169. They are simply unable to fi x the billing system and I am getting very very tired of having to call them EVERY SINGLE MONTH to complain. The billing people TRY to help, but they are totally stuck with a system that . I guess it is time to finally file a formal complaint with the State public utilities. Verizon is simply unable to fix their own errors, or unwilling to do so.!!!!!

--------------------------------

September 8, 2008. We checked with Mass Department of Telecommunications, and they said to write to Verizon first, so we did that and got ahold of a supervisor who said the only way to fix the problem is to do a new Triple Freedom package. He went ahead and entered a new package. Today I get a e-mail from Verizon stating that we haven't accepted the TOS for our new package. I did this then re-read the mail from Verizon and found out that the new plan was for a ONE year contract, where the orignal plan signed in November 2007 was for TWO years. So Verizon has again managed to screw the billing. We're also going to be billed "partial month" for service change, which usually is not well pro-rated and costs more than it should. On top of all this, due to the disconnect/reconnect (again) we got a SALES call from Verizon trying to get us to 'come back' to Verizon! It is so sad, because when you talk to the Verizon people they REALLY TRY to help, but unfortunately they can't really fix the billing system. It is so frustrating since the service itself has been so good; phone, internet, and TV have all been top quality. We expect more hassle with Verizon to keep trying to get the original contract price and period, but I suspect we will just wait for next month's bill and go to the Department of Telecommunications and file a formal complaint.

------------------

Update 9/15/08...Well, Verizon's Customer Advocacy people called us after I complained to Mass Department of Telecommunications (public utilities) and e-mailed two contacts provided here via IM from two Verizon friends or employees. I explained the situation, and they understood my point of view perfectly - I had a two year contract and they should honor it. Next a supervisor from billing called, and said that it is impossible to get the two year contract anymore, but instead they would give me the one year contract at the original two year price and then a credit so I'd pay that price for 2 years. They fully understand my reasoning, especially when I pointed out that if I was a contractor for Verizon and tried to get out of a two year contract they would never let me get away with it. They promise my monthly bill will be no higher than it should be for the term of the original contract. Our monthly bill goes out this week, so it should be interesting. I'm expecting to have to call them a few more times until the billing settles down. I suppose it's acceptable, but it just sounds like the billing system is causing them so much trouble. Why can't they fix it? I'm certainly not the only person having these troubles. The Verizon reps have all been polite and helpful and do their best, but it's sad to see they can't simply fix their billing system.

-------------------------------------------------

Updated 10/20/08. Surprise? Despite promises from Verizon that my bill would be no more than 141, this month they charged me for $168! Verizon is very good at appearing to care, but in fact they really don't want to fix it. Despite complaint to public utilities, e-mails to various Verizon executives, they are overcharging and we have to call every **** month and argue with them again and again. If there was a workable alternative I would dump them in a heartbeat. Comcast is available, but they are probably no better or worse.

---------------------------------------

11/11/08. Finally they have the billing straight. It only took from July to November, numerous phone calls, numerous e-mails, and not one but two complaints to Mass Departent of Telecommunications and Energy (public utilities). sheesh.

---------------------------------------

11/3/09. Billing has been correct for almost a year now. However, I'm running out of the 'introductory' price, so I don't know if it will go up soon. The connection continues to be stable, good speeds, and TV works well.

-------------------------------------

1/21/10. The HD SetTopBox died yesterday. It would go off, then come back on blank, then restart itself then work for a few minutes, then die again. Did live chat with Verizon Tech Support agent Eva in Texas. She sent a reset and all seemed well. Half an hour later it died again. Back to live chat and got Eva again and she said we'll just send you a new STB and you should receive it Friday. Received the new STB this morning (Thursday) and installed with no problem, used the web based self install page, entered the code and it ran for 10 mins or so and now all is well. The new STB is a little different, but works fine. Very happy with the Verizon Tech Support.

---------------------------------------

4/25/2010. Price increases have now raised the monthly bill to $ 165. It went up $18 in just one month. Unfortunately there was no new features or anything, just a higher rate and an invitation to log on to their site to look at new and exciting options (which of course are not free). I'd try to drop some options, but that would probably send me back to billing hell.

--------------------------------------------------------

11/30/2010. We are receiving messages from Verizon saying that our 2 year contract is up and inviting us to renew it. While we're happy with FIOS, we also know that if we want to change anything while under contract it will be a terrible mess in billing so we will probably just leave it alone and not renew.

------------------------------------------------------

06/21/2011. Our router died; no lights at all. Called Verizon and spoke to support and they shipped a new router; no hassle and no difficulty. It arrived in 4 days, but to be fair we called on Friday afternoon amd it arrived the following Tuesday. Replaced the router and re-configured but didn't use the Verizon assistant since I'm on a Mac. The router has been fine since then.

--------------------------------------------------------

09/21/2011. No issues since replacing the router. We're considering reviewing our account and options viz TV packages, but don't really want to go to the hassle.

---------------------------------------------------------

04/23/2013. Bill shock today..Our monthly fee, in one month, went up $21. We've decided to cut some of the programming, but trying to do it via the Verizon web site is extremely difficult - they have huge web pages with large type and graphics and you can't view the whole page even on a 24" monitor. We were partly successful, but were not able to do everything we were trying to do. We had the Verizon chat person helping us, but we lost the connection to chat 3 times and the third time we got a different person who had no idea what was going on. We will have to try to call them tomorrow to fix it. I HATE having to call Verizon - it is a huge pain to reach the right people and then to get them to be willing to actually help us.

-----------------------

Updated 05/03/13..Downgraded to fewer channels and cut the movies out. We thought of upgrading the internet connection to 25 mb, but found out that's only available if you have a higher tier TV service. I think they don't want people to switch to watching tv via the net since they want people to pay high prices for TV. Also wondering how soon they will start capping the internet; they don't want people downloading movies from iTunes or Amazon Instant Video since that means they will not be buying pay per view movies from Verizon. They did move us up to 15 mb tier, but it's turning out to be very unstable. We have to reboot the router at least once a day. Maybe the old router just can't cope with the load?

-------------------------------

Updated 01/26/2014.. FIOS internet and TV have gone downhill in recent months. The internet and TV will drop and the router shows no connection...Call support, nothing wrong on our end, they open trouble ticket, then a couple of hours later TV and internet are working again and they cancel the trouble ticket. They were saying "possibly construction"... on Sunday?? We lose internet for about 2-4 hours around once a week that we notice; it might be more, just could happen when we are not using it. Very annoying. We now have backup for the TV - an OTA antenna for the times when FIOS is dead. Phone still works though.

Comments:

Review by cchhat01 See Profile

• Location: Elmhurst,Queens,NY
Good "Consistent speeds, speedtest are always fast, always on, 0 downtime"
Bad "none that i can think of at the moment"
Overall "get it if you can (afford it)!"

·RCN CABLE
·Earthlink Cable ..
So I've had Verizon FIOS since Jun 2013. I only subscribe to their internet service as I am locked down to DISH Network for their TV package for a couple of years.

I have their 50/25 package and pay $49.99 per month. Recently, Verizon sneaked in a $1 fee and as such my bill has increased by a dollar but that's about it.

So far, we've had about 7 months of reliable service with ZERO downtime. I am really impressed. I previously had RCN Cable and was really frustrated with their peak-time slowdowns for nearly 6 months. Nothing was being done to fix these slowdowns and therefore, so I just pulled the trigger. I am paying a higher price (about $15/month more for introductory year) but the consistency of FIOS is the difference.

I've not really experienced any slowdowns. Speed tests are always consistently around the 58/38 Mbps range (added fluff).

I sometimes feel that there are peering issues slowdowns where certain sites load slowly at certain times in the day. And some sites I've noted are slower on FIOS than on cable (wikidevi.com for example). Not sure why. But overall I am satisfied. I am not sure I will continue service after the 1 year period as its simply not something I can afford to pay $80+ for 50/25 service. I will definitely try calling them around the 11 month mark and discuss continuing at the same rate for an additional year but I'm not holding my breath.

YouTube HD and Netflix SuperHD streams without any hiccups (so far).

Pre-sales: I'm rating this category as 3-star because of their "add-on-bogus-fee" tactics and here's why. I completed most of my pre-sales online and ultimately when it was time to select a date for installation, I decided to save the configuration and gave the sales team a call to see if there were any earlier dates available for install (sooner than the date available on their online calendar). They were accommodating and gave me an earlier date. Great. However, when I received an email confirming the install date, they added an install fee of $39.99 spread over 3 months. WTF? I called back and disputed it, clearly stating that this was wasn't present before. Their response was, we cannot remove this at the moment. However, after the install, they would credit me for the fee. Not happy with the response, I called again and tried speaking with another rep and again was told the same thing. I cancelled the order. Wasted a couple of days of time. Ultimately ordered FIOS completely online. No finagling with the billing etc by their reps. Everything was pretty smooth this time. Bottom line, If you can get the deals without calling customer care, ORDER ONLINE and save yourself from the low-balling of their sales team trying to sell you something you may not want. Of course, do this if you're well informed of what you want.

Install: Fantastic. The guy showed up very early (around 8AM). Was very courteous. I had a pre-wired FIOS installation from when we "tried" and cancelled before. I had also ran my own Shielded CAT5 cable from the ONT to my router. I told him I was not planning on using their router because of lack of 5GHz and the limited bandwidth on the 2.4Ghz Wifi. He was quite impressed with my WDS setup. He said that if I had wanted, he would have run a CAT5 cable himself (since I was getting JUST their internet services). Since all of the hard work was already done on a previous install, this was just a plug and play install for him and he was in-and-out in less than 20-25 minutes. Service was blazing fast since the first run.

Connection reliabilty: Has been rock solid (knock-on-wood) since install. Speed-tests are consistent. I have set up DSLR Smokepings several times and I barely see any packet loss through out my 14day smokeping. If your setup is in good shape, you will not have to worry about connectivity. THIS is why people want and go with FIOS. Because it is very consistent. No peak-time slowdowns (YET).

One odd thing that I have seen is that if I release and renew my IP through the router, there are about 10ms of discrepancies between the "Line Quality" test from lq2.dslreports.com based on the IP pool I am in and I have yet to determine the cause of this problem. So I wrote a script that releases-then-renews and checks pings to DSLR lq1 & lq2 until I am satisfied with the ping timings. If you have no idea what I am talking about, don't worry about it.

Tech Support: Its hard to rank them here because I have not needed to call them, EVER. But at a point in our previous usage of FIOS, we had to call them in for switching from COAX to CAT5 data on the ONT and they switched us over fairly quickly.

Value for money: I say this is the best thing you can get in my neighborhood. Sure Cable companies advertise similar speeds for less but in my experience, they dont come anywhere near FIOS. I don't have to deal with peak-time slowdowns. However it does become quite expensive after the first year so it is something for me to think about. I'll cross that bridge when I have to.

I will try to update my review whenever I get a chance to do so over the course of time.

thanks,

cchhat01

member for 13.2 years, 3662 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Xanax3MG

@verizon.net

Quantum 500 is Amazing

I have a USA Office in Zip Code 11530 -- Long Island, New York. I am connected by Verizon (FIOS) Quantum.

I have consistent local speeds of 500-525/100-115 Mbps. On SpeedTest.Net, I connected to the SoftLayer DataCentre in Amsterdam, Netherlands. I got a connection of 465 Mbps. inbound and uploaded at my full 100 Mbps. I need the speed to manage domestic and foreign dedicated servers.
I'm astounded. This is the very fastest Internet connectivity in North America that I have ever seen.
NYC Girl
join:2007-02-04
Bronx, NY

This is how they make their money. You sign up for one package with all kinds of discounts and when you get the comfirmation email there's a different price which has INCREASED.

I was thinking of switchjng back to optimum; HOWEVER, internet speed choices are either 15, 50 or 101. What Fios doesn't charge for optimum does, which makes up for the taxes optimum doesn't charge (20.00) from Fios.

They all suck and they know we need them.

anonomeX

@comcast.net

Funny thing...

When I got FiOS 7 years ago (early 2007), it was cheaper than cable and way faster. Now speed is almost irrelevant and pricing is fairly equivalent. FiOS also used to be completely reliable with no issues in getting to any sites (Netflix etc.); now there are nothing but issues (not technical issues really, just Verizon being penurious). I've switched [back] to Comcast and getting the same speeds for half the price (promo, but still cheaper for the next 2 years). For the most part Comcast has been very reliable in my area--no worse than FiOS. (Frankly, all Verizon had to do to keep me as a customer was to not jack up my monthly fee by $8 [with no prior notice]. I guess they just really did not want my business.)

Review by codydog See Profile

• Location: North Kingstown,Washington,RI
Good "speeds are solidly within expectations"
Bad "latency is the same as cable, no noticable improvement"
Overall "should be a price decision"

Like the fios service overall, speeds are as advertised, latency and ping are disappointing based on marketing and comments on dslreports. My thought going forward, is to only shop on price. Latency/ping is no different that cable, big disappointment for me as I thought results would be much better. Your experience may differ.

TV image is superb, really good.

Have 75/35, tv and fios only, so no phone experience

UPDATE -- speeds are as advertised, latency has not improved from what cable had. Dropped TV as simply didn't watch it. A VZ tech did suggest upgrading to 150 d/l or even 300 for better latency but that seems expensive to do. What I learned and your experience may be quite different, is to shop ISP by price only. Extremely disappointed by how Netflix performs on VZ's network.

Comments:

mtnarea

@charter.com

Ping?

What's the ping you're getting? I was getting around 5 - 10ms to Google max when I had FiOS.

VashTS

@bhn.net

Ping times? Really?

"Extremely disappointed by how Netflix performs on VZ's network."
So ur unhappy about how slow Netflix is when VZ or ur other cable provider has no control over there network?

"Like the fios service overall, speeds are as advertised, latency and ping are disappointing based on marketing and comments on dslreports."
SO again speeds are what they say but latency to 1 thing, Netflix, is what ur disappointed about, ohh and ur mad since other ppl have better speeds then you? U want full speeds and better latency, download something using newsgroups or from MS cuz ur not going to get it anywhere else.

"A VZ tech did suggest upgrading to 150 d/l or even 300 for better latency but that seems expensive to do."
Yeah dont do that. I hate sales pitchs. I bet they also said if u pay for a new N rotuer it will give u better Wifi in your home.
codydog

join:2001-11-29
Newport, RI

Re: Ping times? Really?

Latency is almost exactly what I had with csble - I mention Netflix as a common point for anyone reading. Do you work for VZ?

Review by batsona See Profile

• Location: Ellicott City,Howard,MD
Good "4ms to VZ gateway is great!"
Bad "Price is creeping up...."
Overall "It's the most stable for the price, but price is eql to cable now."

·Vonage
I'm glad I'm with FiOS; this makes more sense than Comcast. Pages zip around faster than before, even tho I have 5MB downstream vs. 6MB with comcast; the difference is having 2MB upstream instead of 384K. It makes all the difference. It took 27 days between order, and use-of-service, becuase the gentleman said they were very backed up in the area with 2-3 installs per day. I ordered the 5000/2000 service.

Cable tech arrived 10 days before the inside guy; they had plenty of 'fun' trying to fish my line thru all the trees under the telephone poles; the guy had to call for help right before he drove from Howard county back to Anne Arrundl county to get a 500' legnth of Corning Fiber. I pulled the copper out of my basement & wire-tied it outside, then pulled the ~40' spare feet of fiber he left outside into the basement & wire-tied it so it looked nice 'n professional-like. I have a basement-located ONT.

The installer was very nice & got the job done quickly. He suffered a 30 min setback where there was no light on the fiber. He had to drive around the block & scamper up a pole to re-seat my connection at the tap, which did the trick. Another 30 min, and I was up and running. I have Vonage svc, and turned off my VZ pots lines, so there was no voice to deal with.

PS-- The increase in upstream speed, from 384K to 2MBit is what does the trick. I'd read lots of whitepapers about poor WAN performance when the 'return-path' for the packets is constrained. You can have all the bandwidth in the world downstream, but if you have a tiny upstream, you can set your TCPreceiveWindow to 10-million, and it won't do you any good. A good clear upstream makes 5MBit FiOS run faster than 6Mbit Comcast.

Good, stable, fast, and less expensive than the "incumbant".

_________________________________________

Update 8/15/2008: Still good service. No downtime that I can remember since installation! The original base price of $35/month is now at $44.99/month. Even if it were equal with cable-based service (CMCST), it's still be a better deal. Fiber-delivery beats RF hands down.

__________________________________________

Update 1/20/2010: Service still good. The price has come up to equal that of Cablemodem now. However, FiOS is the better service, so if price were equal, I'd still pull the trigger on FiOS.

_______________________________________

Update 3/20/2011: Service still good. Dropped the price by about $10 a month by negotiating a new bundle with 15/5 Internet. A month after that, I found I had 20/5 w/o doing anything. If you discount the fact that very popular sites slow down at nite (youtube, facebook), the service is still plenty speedy!

_____________________________________________

Update 2/6/2012: Service still good. Price is equal to similar bandwidth tier among most other providers, but the differentiator is still fiber optics. It's still a superior and resilient transport. Now on 15/5 plan, which has been padded to 20/5. I'm getting the 20/5 speed consistantly.

_________________________________________

Update 1/19/14: I recently upgraded to 50/25 service. I can max out at about 60/30 or so with the 'fluff'. Quality is good; everything works, email is good. too bad prices keep creeping up and up and up over the years.... Have not needed tech support for anything luckily. Took out the ActionTec device, in favor of a Juniper SRX100 firewall. This was not because of a problem related to actiontec, I'm learning Juniper for my employer, and was given a demo-unit!

Comments:

RMHA

@verizon.net

Tech Support

Why do you rate tech support with 75%. I am on FIOS for the last 2 years and the few times i needed tech support i got qualified help and i got it fast. A few days ago i lost connection (3rd time in 2 years) at 2am and i had an American tech within 3 minutes and a fix within 10!
batsona
Maryland

join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD
·Vonage

Re: Tech Support

I guess I could raise it a bit. --I had initial problems (years ago) where they couldn't find my account because I didn't have a VZ telephone number (am with Vonage..). Their call routing system sent me around in circles, and when I got ahold of a human, they put me back in the 'circle queue' (wash rinse repeat). Not the way a big company should handle things...