Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1940 reviews (1455 good) (145 bad)

Review by iwnt14me See Profile

• Location: Chesapeake,Chesapeake City,VA
Good "NOTHING BETTER IN THIS AREA"
Bad "None at this time"
Overall "Beats Cox's Communications Hands Down"

UPDATED 08/06/2014

FIOS working great tested media server and returned due to tivo preference. I now have a 150/150 package as part of triple play. I have 2 tivo roamio's pro, 2 sling boxes, 4 mini's, and one vulkano and have no streaming issues. in near future may test the 500/500 offering. the down time has been none so overall I am happy.

************************************************************************************************

Updated 02/26/2009

I have the 20/20 package and have added a sling box as well. I have had no service outages for any of the triple play services. I have personally converted most of my apartment complex to FIOS. I know that in my complex we are now working on our forth splitter and when ever i see a moving truck I have no problems sharing my bad Cox's experiences and what a great service FIOS is.

Updated 08/24/2008

Been almost three months and have only had one issue and that was a result of Tivo. Verizon pushed their new HD channels and realigned almost all of their channels in the process. So for one evening my 7 Tivos recorded some strange programs. I have upgraded to the 20 / 20. I have managed to convinced 21 people so far in my complex to drop Cox and go to this service. The picture quality is unreal. I also used the refer a friend option with my neighbors and have received the maximum of 12 each $50.00 gift checks that I can apply to my bill. That means at this rate my first 6 months are costing me about $24.00 a month which is a steal. On all of my speed tests i have exceeded the 20 / 20. If your are in the Newport News, Virginia area and can get Fios I say drop Cavalier, Cox, Directv. I have only had Cox's service and it was in most cases worse then Charter and Suddenlink. I have had no billing issues to date and when I have called in the people I have spoken to were nice and quite knowledgeable.

***********************************************************************************************Ordered the triple play on Thursday May 28 around lunch time. and was given an install date of May 29th time window of 8-12. I was like wow technician showed up at my door at 10 am called me about an hour before to let me know his arrival time. This is in a MDU and form the time the work started in the MDU to my activation was 4 weeks plus. He did an excellent job installing ONT and running the required wires in the MDU. I was very impressed. He set up all three of my HD Tivos with cable cards single stream since they apparently dont have dual stream cards yet here. That was only draw back I had to take 6 single stream cards. I will contact the business office to see if they dual stream and if any one knows please hit me up and tell me. Overall I wish I had this 18 months ago Cox's service here in the MDU was really bad and they did not care. I plan to go door to door and let me neighbors know and come in look at the HD. Took 15/15 data plan

10/21/2011 FIOS 35/35 No problems with service worked great through hurricane. I did have a router die this week and I jumped on an open network connection and worked with the online help group and was done in 10 minutes.

02/03/2013 update

Fios has been outstanding and they seem to have corrected their customer service issue / billing issues so it has only gotten better. I also know that they have started to overlay more area in the hampton roads area with fios

upgraded to quantum 150/65 process took less than 2 hours. test well above advertised speeds as always verizon fios superior for just $7.50 more a week.

Comments:

isp10002

join:2012-10-24

^.^

Id love to see some speed tests.

Review by mikev See Profile

• Location: Leesburg,Loudoun,VA
Good "Rock-solid internet connection, no TV issues"
Bad "Slow internet speeds offered in my MDU"
Overall "A great service that is worth every penny."

·Callcentric
I have nothing but good things to say about Verizon FiOS for nearly every aspect of their service. Internet service was always available, TV signals were good and reliable, and everything worked.

The only area I will complain about is the fact that they have old equipment in the MDU building I live in, and the maximum speed I could get from them is 30Mbps down. I only opted for 20Mbps because I was getting 25Mbps from it, but when I upgraded to 30, I only got 28Mbps. When your competitor is offering 50, or even 100, Mbps down, 20 or 30 seems like nothing. If they ever get around to upgrading their equipment so I can get faster speeds, I'll definitely consider switching back. But for now, the competitor has my business.

member for 12.6 years, 838 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by batsona See Profile

• Location: Ellicott City,Howard,MD
Good "4ms to VZ gateway is great!"
Bad "Price is creeping up...."
Overall "It's the most stable for the price, but price is eql to cable now."

·Vonage
I'm glad I'm with FiOS; this makes more sense than Comcast. Pages zip around faster than before, even tho I have 5MB downstream vs. 6MB with comcast; the difference is having 2MB upstream instead of 384K. It makes all the difference. It took 27 days between order, and use-of-service, becuase the gentleman said they were very backed up in the area with 2-3 installs per day. I ordered the 5000/2000 service.

Cable tech arrived 10 days before the inside guy; they had plenty of 'fun' trying to fish my line thru all the trees under the telephone poles; the guy had to call for help right before he drove from Howard county back to Anne Arrundl county to get a 500' legnth of Corning Fiber. I pulled the copper out of my basement & wire-tied it outside, then pulled the ~40' spare feet of fiber he left outside into the basement & wire-tied it so it looked nice 'n professional-like. I have a basement-located ONT.

The installer was very nice & got the job done quickly. He suffered a 30 min setback where there was no light on the fiber. He had to drive around the block & scamper up a pole to re-seat my connection at the tap, which did the trick. Another 30 min, and I was up and running. I have Vonage svc, and turned off my VZ pots lines, so there was no voice to deal with.

PS-- The increase in upstream speed, from 384K to 2MBit is what does the trick. I'd read lots of whitepapers about poor WAN performance when the 'return-path' for the packets is constrained. You can have all the bandwidth in the world downstream, but if you have a tiny upstream, you can set your TCPreceiveWindow to 10-million, and it won't do you any good. A good clear upstream makes 5MBit FiOS run faster than 6Mbit Comcast.

Good, stable, fast, and less expensive than the "incumbant".

_________________________________________

Update 8/15/2008: Still good service. No downtime that I can remember since installation! The original base price of $35/month is now at $44.99/month. Even if it were equal with cable-based service (CMCST), it's still be a better deal. Fiber-delivery beats RF hands down.

__________________________________________

Update 1/20/2010: Service still good. The price has come up to equal that of Cablemodem now. However, FiOS is the better service, so if price were equal, I'd still pull the trigger on FiOS.

_______________________________________

Update 3/20/2011: Service still good. Dropped the price by about $10 a month by negotiating a new bundle with 15/5 Internet. A month after that, I found I had 20/5 w/o doing anything. If you discount the fact that very popular sites slow down at nite (youtube, facebook), the service is still plenty speedy!

_____________________________________________

Update 2/6/2012: Service still good. Price is equal to similar bandwidth tier among most other providers, but the differentiator is still fiber optics. It's still a superior and resilient transport. Now on 15/5 plan, which has been padded to 20/5. I'm getting the 20/5 speed consistantly.

_________________________________________

Update 1/19/14: I recently upgraded to 50/25 service. I can max out at about 60/30 or so with the 'fluff'. Quality is good; everything works, email is good. too bad prices keep creeping up and up and up over the years.... Have not needed tech support for anything luckily. Took out the ActionTec device, in favor of a Juniper SRX100 firewall. This was not because of a problem related to actiontec, I'm learning Juniper for my employer, and was given a demo-unit!

________________________________________

Update 8/2/14 - 50/25 still going strong.. 60downstream and 40upstream inclusive of fluff. Never needed tech support in the last so-many months.

Comments:

Review by destroyah See Profile

• Location: Norwalk,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Steady 84/40 speeds using the Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. I"
Bad "Occasional peering issues cause random slowdowns and packet loss, especially to Netflix and Youtube."
Overall "Still a good overall price, though it feels that we are paying for the east coasts low prices."

Ordered: December 23, 2007

Installed: January 07, 2008

Running at proper speeds on: January 09, 2008

Other than the hurtles that I went through in the beginning with the Actiontec's poor firmware, it has been an excellent internet only service. I ended up getting one of the Motorola B-PON ONT's, though I wish it was one of the newer G-PON models.

Consistently get 14.5-14.8 on the download, and 14.5-17.1 on the upload, and that's with my D-Link DIR-655 with Beta 39 firmware connected through ethernet.

Will update once the 20/20 upgrade goes through.

Here's to hoping it will survive the 100+ degree with high humidity summer temps here in California.

A special mention here for James, one of the Fiber Network Field technicians, who helped with the four hour install along with his work crew of three. They did a clean, efficient install. After installing a modular ethernet jack that wasn't properly pumping out 15 mb/s, as it should be, he then came by a day or two later and replaced it. It's been working properly since that day.

Edit: Called on Monday, the 23rd of June, to inquire about the free upgrade to 20/20. Billing was very knowledgeable about the upgrade, and a order was put in for the upgrade. I was told it would take effect on the following day at 4:00PM. Lo and behold, on the following day at around 1:00PM, downloads increased to 19.3-19.6 mb/s. Upload was down to about 8 mb/s, so I rebooted the router. That didn't fix the problem, so a couple of power cycles of the ONT later, and my full speed became a reality.

I'm very happy with the upgrade, and latency seems to have gone down as a bonus.

Edit: October 15, 2008 - So far reliability has been ok, though I'm going to dock some points off, since every once in a while the upload is being throttled for some reason (ie. 23.6-23.8 goes down to about 10 mb/s. No clue why this is happening, but a total shutdown and restart of the ONT fixes this, after two or three tries. It may be the terrible heat we have in California right now. ;P

Edit: January 07, 2009 - I'm docking 1 more point from reliability, since I had to reset the ONT a couple of times for the last week of December since my upload was dropping down to my previous DSL levels. Since I'm not the only one using the connection (there are a couple of PC's in my household), this hampers my own experience on my PC. I just hope VZ stops sending adjustments to the ONT, since I'm almost 100 % positive that is the reason for the occasional problems, since both phone and internet run well the rest of the time.

Value for the money was dropped down 1 point for the above mentioned trouble.

Edit: August 03, 2014 - An update is in order for the amount of time that has passed since my last update. Speed upgrades that have gone by include a jump to 25/25 speeds, then down to 25/15, and then to 50/25 since Quantum tiers have been available. This past year, around November, my ONTs trusty BBU finally failed after almost 6 years of service. VZ was able to dispatch someone within 72 hours, and they installed a current model, along with a new battery, and everything has been running fine and dandy with the same Motorola 1000-m BPON ONT.

Since my two year contract was in the process of expiring in July, around June the 16th, I decided to check if VZ could throw me a bone, and give me any renewal offers around the same price point. I ended up jumping up to 75/35 for only about 5 more bucks plus taxes. With the current push by VZ to upgrade all tiers to symmetrical speeds, I shall update my review when I hopefully get the free upgrade in the next couple of weeks to 75/75.

member for 9.6 years, 3452 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Acct101 See Profile

• Location: Bensalem,Bucks,PA
Bad "Never showed up to install Fios and never called"

·T-Mobile US
Verizon was supposed to be here between 8 and 11 am. Never showed. I called at 12:30 and they said they ran into a problem and wanted me to reschedule.

Thanks for being pro-active and calling in the morning, Instead I had to sit around and wait for nothing.

Comments:

Review by gower2352 See Profile

• Location: Laurel,Prince Georges,MD
Good "SuperFast, Easy to Make Changes, Billing Seems Good Thus Far"
Bad "Nothing at moment "
Overall "Sign up online if your home is already wired and you'll get a great deal!"

Order the ultimate package. Ordered online and got some really great credits for the 24 months period. Also ordered all the movies channels I could have. Install was super easy since my apartment was already pre-wired. Got the new Quantum TV service.

Comments:

Review by rasmusjc See Profile

• Location: Southlake,Tarrant,TX

I have the Verizon FIOS Triple Play Bundle with Quantum 75/35 speeds. Not much to tell other than service has been great.

Comments:

Review by xaebz56K See Profile

• Location: Englewood,Sarasota,FL
Good "Excellent speeds and very reliable."
Bad "None."
Overall "Best ISP I have ever had."

The router supplied is their latest and best, an ActionTec Router. All equipment is new, I have the bundle which includes TV, they also supplied their best HDTV cable box, a new one.

I've had absolutely no problems at all with Verizon. I also added on 2 more TVs with just their very basic cable box, just tunes all Verizon TV channels, no menu. These work exceptionally well too. When setting them up I had problems with them being recognized, the Verizon rep. was exceptionally friendly and helpful.

The price of $80 is for Internet and Prime TV, and does not include the 3 TV boxes. I was surprised every single thing they supplied was brand new and the best they offer. I've also been surprised at how helpful and friendly their reps. have been.

The service is extremely reliable.

Comments:

Review by br0adbanddoc See Profile

• Location: Norristown,Montgomery,PA
Good "It's stable and quick."
Bad "Streaming Netflix is garbage unless I turn on my work VPN."
Overall "If you use Netflix for your primary source of video entertainment, forget about Fios."

Overall the Fios install went pretty well except that Verizon guaranteed that they would provide us with a battery for the system's battery backup and the tech forgot to install the battery. This generated another service call where I had to be home for a different tech to show up, verify that we definitely didn't have a battery and then install the battery. The original installer tech also cut down some old drops that another Verizon Fios tech had left laying across other various cable/telephone drops in our back yard.

With regard to the service, normal web browsing, Youtube streaming and gaming work well. However, if you use Netflix as either a way to augment your normal TV service or as your primary source of TV service, forget about Fios. It is absolutely awful. I have resorted into using a VPN connection on my laptop in order to allow anything better than an unreliable SD picture from Netflix.

If you don't use Netflix, get it. If you do use Netflix, get Comcast.

Comments:

Review by fiosultimate See Profile

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX

Stable speed,almost all the TV channels, issue free phone service