Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1911 reviews (1451 good) (133 bad)

Review by kingdome74 See Profile

• Location: Syracuse,Onondaga,NY
Good "Mind-blowing speeds, awesome HD quality"
Bad "Unreal Price Increases"
Overall "Speed, Superb picture"

Let me first say that I am blessed to live in an area that has most all of Verizon's services including 1.9 FiOS TV. I ordered the 35/35 Triple online a month before we moved. The installation went well even though the tech had to crawl over and around the construction going on. Took about 8 hours altogether and everything worked out of the box. My router is an Actiontec MI424WR Gen2 Rev. F and the speeds easily run a steady 46 down and 33 up. I was gobsmacked when I saw it. VZ really allows their subs to do as they wish with their equipment. The router's interface is very easy to read and move around in. Switching security settings is a breeze. Coming from Time Warner who barely even allow you to look at their equipment it was a real eye opener to see all I could with VZ's.

The Motorola set-top opens up a whole new level of hi-def. Because, from what I read, Verizon doesn't need to compress the video signal the picture is so much clearer. I can record shows from either my bedroom or the computer (and I think there is an iPhone app too) on my main set-top in the living room. The phone is a phone and we haven't really tried much with it. The voice is clear and the voice message is easy to set up

All in all a great experience - the best part of moving by far - and I'll be updating this review as I've only had the service for a week but you give me 46 d/l speed, a great HD picture, multi-room DVR, and awesome flexibility and I'll be a happy camper.

Edit - it's now been 9 months since I switched to Verizon and it's been a great experience. I had to drop my pricing down from 150 to 143 to reflect5 the actual price after some of thew promotions ended. I'm still on a month to month contract and from their new pricing it's cheaper than signing a new 2-year contract ($5 increase). Two things to consider going forward is the price increase that is coming down the pike and the upgraded speed packages which both coincide with each other. I'm not financially in a position to absorb much over 150 so I'm hoping the increase will stay below that although I really like the idea of a 75Mb pipe which, I'd guess with overhead, would probably closer to 90. I think my eyes would pop out of their sockets if I ever saw that kind of speed considering I started with Net Free dial up.

Edit Redux 10/1/2012 - I switched to the PrimeHD 50/25 double dropping the phone and lowering the TV by two tiers. I did this out necessity because of the huge rate increases. I dropped my bill back down to 140 (with fees, etc) and have switched to a cheap home cell phone. The 50/25 speeds are very nice. I can download at a steady 62 Mbps and up at 37 Mbps. Nice fluff I'd say.

Edit Tridux 10/4/2013 - In the last year I've had some service problems. First my Actiontech router went up. When I called in a talked to probably the best tech I've spoken to in all my years of dealing with them. He immediately recognized that I have some knowledge of how everything works and dropped the whole walk through. In two minutes he had a new one ready to ship and I got it the next day. While I did get the newest AT router it's had some thorough put problems that I'm still tinkering with. That was the good. The bad made me look to another provider. We took a lightening bolt to one of the power lines in my neighbors yard and blew my ONT to shit I had to wait 4 days for service. I'm disabled and was left with no way to communicate to the outside world (I use ViOPo) except my wife's cell which meant she was screwed. The tech was pleasant and actually chatty. He had to replace the wires to the ground and the complete ONT unit. Fortunately we have our ONT grounded to the house ground which limited damage. Everything is up and running but a 4 day wait was ridiculous.

member for 12 years, 4946 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mxmumtuna See Profile

• Location: Ashburn,Loudoun,VA
Good "Great Speeds"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "Finally a great replacement to our former mom and pop fiber ISP"

So far, it's been great.

I've had it for just over a week and a half. I have the 15/2 package, and consistently see 100% of those speeds.

No instability so far, but we'll see as time goes on.

Our community, Brambleton in Loudoun County, Virginia was (one of?) the first all fiber to the home community, first homes being built in 2002. The installation was painless, took only about an hour. The wireless router provided is rather ho hum, but I replaced it with my own Linux box.

FiOS is replacing our mom and pop ISP (Gatehouse Networks), and is a welcome change. Our previous fiber provider gave us 1.5/1.5 service, never actually saw those speeds either.

*Update 9/27/13* After nearly 8 years, FIOS is still great - have the 50/25 package now and still loving it.

Comments:

Review by sk1939 See Profile

• Location: Laurel,Howard,MD
Good "Fast, Reliable, and relatively cheap compared to Comcast"
Bad "Still over $100 a month, no package over 50 mbps, phone goes out after 8 hrs without power."
Overall "If your still using Comcast your losing out."

·T-Mobile US
Originally had Verizon DSL and MSN dialup before that. Started out with internet and phone only (didn't offer TV until recently) with 5 mbps down 1 mbps up ($30/mo) then moved to 15 mbps down 2mbps up for $10/mo more. Landline phone with all the features added somewhere between $10 and $20, though not required. The original router that we were given was a D Link DI-624 which worked just fine, then once we got TV service....we had to get the first Actiontec router, which while it isn't bad, isn't ideal either but is mandatory for the cable boxes to receive program information. In addition it's worth mentioning that if you plan to use your own router anyways, tell them you don't want the MoCA or coax connection you want the Cat5 twisted pair connection instead. OH, and standard definition cable boxes are $5 each and HD boxes are either $10 or $15 each.

Update 5/1/11: After 6 years of service, the Lead Acid battery in the power back up unit just quit. Now even with the battery removed, the unit continues to beep periodically. The replacement battery from Verizon is about $50, unless you can convince an installer in the area to give you one.

Update 9/27/13: While I am in no longer in the US, I haven't had any problems with FiOS. In June there was an issue where the VPN dropped due to some kind of PPPoE issue on Verizon's end, but it came back with no intervention on my part.

member for 3.4 years, 1412 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by tomkb See Profile

• Location: Tampa,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Reliable Service, Its fiber to the home, price shown includes TV as well"
Bad "Price increased after 2 years by about $13"
Overall "I think it is a good value for hi speed internet 15/5 and a full basic TV lineup in HD"

In Tampa, Verizon and Brighthouse are the 2 main players. It's a new house in a new development, have had service for 2 years now without any major complaints. Fiber to the home. Installed inside my garage instead of outside the house which I liked and requested. Has battery backup in the termination equipment.

No real complaints, consistent service, just an occasional outage usually resolved quickly without a phone call.

I've had worse! Best part is its not DSL. I've had both cable and dsl before fiber, used to like dsl over cable because of the "sharing" issues, but eventually liked cable better than dsl when they got that all straightened out. Now, I've got fiber and its the best technology.

50/25 speed and 75/35 speed also available for $10 and $20 extra per month.

Comments:

Review by KA3SGM See Profile

• Location: West Chester,Chester,PA
Good "FAST-FAST-FAST. The Internet service is Awsome."
Bad "Yard still has evidence of the ruts from the Ditch Witch after 8 years"
Overall "TV is good, I don't really watch it much anymore, kids never watch it, but the Wife says it's fine."

·Cricket Broadband
Update 9/24/2013: Getting ready to enter my 9th year with Verizon FiOS. My original Fios Phone+Internet Install was on 9/30/2005.

Deleted Ratings about Sales and Pre-Installation, can't remember back that far, and what I remember was generally bad, it's been too long now, and is best left to forget.

Down to Double-play, less than 1-year left on contract. No plans to Re-Up contract after that. TV/Internet Contract commitments are for suckers, they leave no choices, no flexibility.

Fios Phone:
Recently canceled FiOS phone service, it worked, was reliable, too expensive, went to cheaper Voip, will probably ditch that for Cell-Only before End Of Year.

150/65 Internet:
Works fine, no complaints, except for the high price. Stable/Reliable/Speed As Advertised or Often better.
My kids like it, low ping, low latency, it's good for gaming.
Probably downgrade it to 75/35 or 50/25 before the end of the year, even further when my kids start moving out next June.

Fios TV Ultimate:
It Works, PQ is good, no outages, no new channels that are worth it, New HD channels?? ha!!, still too expensive because I was forced to take Ultimate TV to get 150/65 Internet at the time.
DVR's still act up from time to time, still have to unplug them once every couple of weeks and reset them, but not often enough to be annoying.
Looks to be getting too expensive when you look at what it will cost when the contract ends.
Looking to downgrade it soon, install new TV antenna, go back to Dish.
The only thing that might be saving Fios TV here is if they offer up a la carte, and I can cut it down to only about 20 channels of my own choosing.
Not expecting them to let that happen, it would be just too good for the customers, and bad for the TV networks that nobody watches.

Service as a whole, I have had no interactions with customer service recently, no tech support issues, no repair issues. (I probably just jinxed myself by saying that).

All in all, Fios will become an Internet-Only service at my house when my current contract ends next summer.

Probably have to move in the next few years due to the worsening economy, so I won't likely be in Fios territory anymore to "celebrate" a "DECADE ON FIOS" review. (another reason for not wanting long term contracts).

Update 6/10/2013: Just found out about some of the Verizon "value added" features that go along with their Fios service.

FREE unlimited Warrantless Wiretapping of your home phone line(s).
FREE 3rd party background breathing noise on all phone calls.
FREE permanent billing records storage, remembering the name, date, time, number, and identity of all incoming and outgoing calls you ever make.
FREE 24/7 government monitoring for up to 9 Verizon E-mail accounts/sub-accounts.
FREE E-mail reader called NSA, so you no longer need to read your e-mail, because your e-mail READS YOU.
FREE 24/7 customer phone support, even if it is outside normal business hours and they're not supposed to be there, you can talk to a live person. They might not talk back, but they're ALWAYS listening!!
FREE Web Site filtering. Not that they stop anything with it, but it carefully filters through records of everything you do online.
If you don’t value the US constitution or the bill of rights, or believe it’s an outdated document that is no longer relevant in today’s society. If you have absolutely no regard whatsoever for your own privacy and security, or that of your friends and family.
If you are willing to pay $200 or so per month for a complete government intrusion into your life, regardless of your political affiliation.
GET VERIZON FIOS, IT ROCKS!!!

FYI Current Services: FiOS DV, HD Ultimate TV, Quantum 150/65 Internet
3x MOTO 7232 DVR + 3x 1Tb external storage.
3x MOTO DCT700, they're practically useless now, but still free since digital conversion.

Ordered 15/2, I get 15.5 / 1.8 pretty reliably. Still waiting for 20/5 upgrade promised by end of 2005.
Internet installed 9/2005, 2 weeks after order placed. Subcontractor burying conduit made my front yard look like a "Monster Truck Mud Bog Shootout Event!" They took down a section of the fence in my side yard to get the Ditch Witch through, and still have not fixed it

By all means, If you want FiOS with any degree of reliability, insist they they leave your copper connection intact. Don't let them switch their voice service over to fiber.

If your Copper phone connection has not been any problem, follow the old adage, if it ain't broke, don't F' with it.

I have been through 4 FiOS ONT's in 7 months.

Believe me, you really want to keep that Verizon copper phone line, the FioS phone reliability completely sucks.

Once they switch you, they are required by PA law to restore the copper if you request it, but they will fight you tooth an nail to make it ever happen.

But I am keeping my Excellent Fios Internet Service, and problematic, but better than Comcast, Fios TV service. For now..

It's still the best bang for the buck for Internet, and needs some help for Picture Quality for TV, but is still the best deal in town.

FIOS Internet, If it's available to you, Just Do It!!!!

OK, My original Fios Phone+Internet Install was on 9/30/2005. Now moving into FiOS year 3.

This marks my 2 year Anniversary review of having Verizon FiOS service.

From 9/30/2005, my original install date, moving everything on fiber was great, Phone and Internet, until they installed the TV service on 12/08/2006.

Verizon's reps outright lied repeatedly about their 20/5 upgrade coming to me in 10/2005, I am still stuck at 15/2 to this day.

The nightmare began 2 months later, in February 2007, when I completely lost all Fios service.

It took Verizon over a month to restore me to where everything had been before, but I also was forced to loose any prior service credit, and grandfathered pricing in the process.

Since then, the TV service has been an abysmal mess, and the Phone and Internet has greatly suffered from outages during that time period.

Would I recommend Fios to anyone else???

Phone= Ask them to keep the copper first, proceed with fiber optic phone service with caution. Fios phone reliability depends on a battery backup, dead battery=NO phone service.
Internet=Definitely
TV=PROBABLY NEVER AGAIN. Verizon needs to call Comcast and ask them how to be a REAL cable TV provider. (Less the regular price increases though)

UPDATE- 11/2/2007- They installed the 5th ONT today since this past February, and confirmed that there was a bad tap at the street.

That in an underground service vault, which fills with muddy water when it rains heavily.

Might be an answer to much of the service problems I have been having.

I had a 3+ hour outage last night of all Fios services, and that might be the cause.

A Verizon Line crew is supposed to check/replace it next week.

After 9 months of aggravation, it may end up being their Fiber equipment supplier, Corning, that is the root of all the problems I have had....

It makes perfect sense, the same company that made the plate you ate your dinner off tonight, also makes most of the plant equipment for Verizon's FiOS network.

Corning needs to stick with dinnerware, and leave the fiber optic business to another company.

WOW, FiOS has finally become stable here, this on the evening before the new IMG software rollout.

Their billing department still has my account screwed up, I have 2 Wireless lines with Verizon now added to the same bill, a practical Triple-Play if you will, but they are now double billing me on the wireless end.

Thank god I have my 4 most important wireless lines still with T-Mobile.

They still have not provided the 20/5 option that I was promised when I had FiOS installed back in September 2005, so I still rate their pre-sales information as a complete lie.

Tech support has stabilized, but I still have a semi-regular picture tiling on various FiOS TV channels, so i can't rate them any higher than middle of the road .

The $325/mo cost is for all 4 Verizon services, about $80 is for Verizon Wireless.

My only reason for even considering Verizon for Wireless service is tied to the ON-STAR phone built into my car, that only works with Verizon....

I will follow up this review as conditions warrant.....

*******Review Updated 8/1/2008********

Promised Fios TV HD Channel additions by Spring 2008 have still not happened although it is more than half way through Summer 2008.

Analog Channels have been removed from the TV Lineup, so the Fios TV is now "100% Digital"

Some HD-VOD is available, but the selections are not on par with other providers.

Still experiencing occasional TV picture Tiling and Pixelation.

DVR Firmware Updates still cause occasional freeze-ups and missed recordings.

These problems have been going on for over a year now, I think any expected permanent fix is now a hopeless cause.

Their Telephone Tech Support reps are in need of some serious re-training, and they need to be able to work together with their billing department, something that is seriously flawed with all things Verizon.

Nothing but billing errors almost every month with FiOS TV, but at least I have yet to run across the dreaded problem of being charged for the "supposedly free" Digital TV Adapters.

Phone Bill reached more than $95, so I canceled both Verizon landline phones and took 1 to T-Mobile@Home VoIP(over FiOS Internet) and the other wireless.

Upgraded Fios internet to 20/20 connection speed, but it took 3 weeks to get the upgrade processed, they said it would take less than a few hours, but nothing Verizon says actually happens the way they describe that it will.

Internet speeds are currently around 20.8/ 18, which is fair enough for now, since I don't really need the 20(18) Mbps upload speed, I will likely drop that back to 20/5 to save a few bucks.

The Fios Internet service is the only thing I can seriously praise Verizon for, I really can't remember when they last had a service outage, probably back during one of my earlier review updates over a year ago.

Verizon could stand to Exit the Telephone and TV business and just stick with Internet service.

They could provide IPTV and VoIP over the Internet connection and dump everything else, and that would cure 99% of their tech support and billing issues, but I don't see that ever happening.

$135 for TV(That includes 3 DVR's, 1HD, and 1 SD Box, The Movies&Sports package, and HBO).

$0 for Telephone, because I completely canceled it, and went VoIP.

So, about $155/mo

I will update this when (or if) Verizon ever meets their Promise of 100 HD Channels by 2008 Year end.

Update 8/29/2010:
Well, at least Fios is now generally stable.

Internet is now running roughly 35/28, although I only have the 25/25 service plan.

The Internet speed is universally better than cable, or other sources, it's the best connection in town you could ever find.

Fios TV still has occasional picture and audio dropouts, which seem to be more of the fault of their existent 6426-2 DVR's.

I have had numerous Fios techs at my home in the past, telling me that the problems were caused my TV brand, but it took a Verizon manager to agree first hand that the problems were beyond my home.

The problem was never properly fixed, and I am convinced that Verizon has no desire to care for it's customers.

Verizon never replaced the defective tap across my street, that I am connected to, so heavy rain still fouls up my TV service when I get enough rain to fill the underground vault that the tap is contained in.

More to come, this update will always be a work in progress......

2/29/2012:

Verizon DESTROYED my CREDIT REPORT, WITH A NON-PAYMENT OF ALMOST $500, which I DIDN'T OWE, AND THEY DON'T CARE.

They credited my account back for disputed charges, but still ,consider it delinquent, even though I HAVE NEVER MISSED A PAYMENT.

Their service is very stable, 7 years in, but their customer service is still terrible to the extreme.

VZ Quadruple-Play is a joke, they don't care 1¢ about their customers, I took my cell service back to T-Mobile, who actually provides cell service where I live..

If you actually care about your credit rating, whatever you do, Don't touch them with a 100 Billion-foot Pole.

member for 8.2 years, 3149 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
guppy_fish

Your Not a FIOS customer

You haven't been a Verizon customer in over a year, what exactly is the point of your review?

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
join:2006-01-17
West Chester, PA

Re: Your Not a FIOS customer

Who's not a Fios customer???

Are you drunk or, high, or mental, or is it something worse than that??
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

Re: Your Not a FIOS customer

You left what 1.5 years ago ? or is it you stayed with a provider you rate at 30% and "trashed" your credit for sport?

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
join:2006-01-17
West Chester, PA
·Cricket Broadband

Re: Your Not a FIOS customer

Maybe you should go back and read the earlier parts of my review.

I dumped the Quadruple-play part of the deal in 2011, so no more VZ wireless.

Yes, I still give a 30% (average) rating, because I have to call them every single month to correct the mistakes on my bill, their tech support is no help, and there is still the property damage done by the installers that I had to fix out of pocket.

Credit issue isn't any different, it's a dispute about un-returned equipment they claim I didn't pay them for.
Problem was it wasn't returned, because it's still on my account, and still in-use.

I'm still with Fios because it works, and there really aren't any other options available.

Note that I have the Reliability rated at 100%, and the Value for the money is 50%.
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

So you have been with them for 6 years with

"TV Picture Quality IS NOT UP TO PAR"?

You must be a hard one to please

Yep

@nvidia.com

HAha

I've been reading dslreports for the past 9 years and this is the funniest/best review I have read in my life. Thank you.

Review by douglassaven See Profile

• Location: Peapack,Somerset,NJ
Good "Fiber is very reliable"
Bad "Can't tolerate non-default router settings on the home side. Will reboot router regularly!!! Had to replace with a non-VZ."

Upgraded from DSL to FiOS several years ago and never looked back. Speed is fantastic (35/35). VZ Quantum marketing campaigns to cajole you to up your speed are annoying and not a good value for 35/35 customers. FiOS Digital Voice has been a great addition. After replacing the Actiontec router with a Cisco device it became very apparent that performance had suffered due to the number of devices on my network. Industrial gear performs much better but the configuration process can be a challenge. Especially all the necessary firewall rules. VZ made the firewall easy, when you do it yourself with Cisco use CCP!

Comments:

Review by JRBlood See Profile

• Location: Syracuse,Onondaga,NY
Good "It's fiber! Need I say more. :)"
Bad "Hope no trees knock down the lines during a storm."
Overall "Fantastic speeds, 5 STATIC IPs, wonderful uptime."

Ever since the three-phase install process was completed, we couldn't be happier. We've gone from dial-up, to sDSL, to wireless, to FiOS, and each time faster and more reliable than the previous. Having such fast speeds and 5 static IPs is a dream for such a small company as ours is (30+ employees). And believe me, not hearing complaints from users complaining about "the 'net is down!" or "why is our 'net connection so slow today" has taken a lot of stress off of this IT tech's shoulders. And having the ability to move our mail and web services inhouse has paid for the FiOS service in no time.

UPDATE: 2010-01-20 - Still use it, and it still rocks! It has been the most reliable and fastest provider we've ever had.

Said bye-bye to RoadRunner at home as well this past July. 25M/25M and couldn't be happier!

UPDATE: 2013-09-23 - Still have it at home and at work and it still rocks! All ISPs should have this kind of service, but since they're still using copper for delivery to the home/business they'll always have issues.

Comments:

Review by Drunkula See Profile

• Location: Denton,Denton,TX
Good "Easy install process / better value than cable"
Bad "Got to use Verizon supplied router to get guide data/VOD - lengthy contract"
Overall "If it's in your neighborhood, DO IT!"

When I first got Fios I only had the Internet service (was already using Vonage for phone and Dish for TV). Decided to try out the the bundled deal. Now that it's all setup and running everything is working well, nice and speedy, no availability problems observed (rock solid so far). I'm quite pleased with performance, value, etc....

However, I do have a few gripes that are more equipment related than service related. Now that I get the TV service I have to use the Verizon supplied Actiontec router. I was using a dedicated 3 NIC firewall router box where I had my wireless access point on a isolated subnet (no connection to my internal wired LAN). From what I've read it IS possible to setup vlans on the Actiontec. I have seen some of the screens for it's configuration. The problem is, it's not real obvious how to accomplish what I want to do (separate IP subnet for one of the LAN ports to connect my WAP). Mind you I'm no dummy but WTF?

Another gripe, the Actiontec seems to only support WEP encryption out of the box. This is really not a problem for me. I just disabled it's wireless and use my Linksys WAP instead. Again, some of what I've read would seem to indicate WPA is available. I was not able to find it though.

[EDIT]
As some have pointed out, WPA IS available and it does work fine. I even got WPA2 working on it - but I went back to the Linksys WAP to get a stronger signal.
[/EDIT]
Anyhow, despite my equipment gripes, overall I am pleased with the service. There have been a few glitches in TV reception (brief pixelations) the first day. Haven't seen them since. Other than that I am very pleased with the service.

[EDIT 2]
I'm now up to 50/25 speeds. Tests at about 58/34. Very happy with speed.
[/EDIT 2]

Comments:

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX

FIOS is great!

I have FIOS in Denton also (East side off of Audra and McKinney) and have never had any issues with it. It is way better than crappy Charter.

Review by delugg See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "$100 less/month for the next 24. Much better bandwidth. Installer replaced all of TW's bad cabling in our apartment."
Bad "Installation was a bear."
Overall "Glad I did it. Wouldn't do it twice."

In NY City we may have the best of everything, but our broadband selections are limited to which providers service which buildings.

I had thought about switching to Verizon FIOS ever since our building (with over 500 units) invited Verizon to install fiber, about 2 years ago. With Time Warner we had to reboot our three cable TV boxes and our cable modem at least once/month. And just recently, adding insult, TW decided to start charging us rental on our cable modem!

A couple of weeks ago, I pulled the trigger and put a package together on Verizon's website. I learned you can only get so far on the website, when it comes to best price and feature-set. I wanted all the TV we enjoyed via Time Warner. And I wanted a much faster Internet experience. Maybe a couple of times per week I watch streaming video, and I upload a number of very hi-res images. So I decided I wanted 50M/25M. When I tried adding all of these options, Verizon's site also eliminated some of my freebies (free installation, etc.). The price was getting sour quickly. So the bottom line is, it's necessary to call an agent. Always ask, "What else can you do for me on this price?" It never hurts to ask.

Finally, when it came time to book an install date, I told the rep that our building has a rule that any Verizon FiOS installations must be booked FIRST THING in the morning (true!). (This is because workers must stop in our building at 5 PM, and too many residents have had bad installation experiences.) I was told, "OK, I'll make a note of that." Did they honor that? No! Our installer was sent to a repair before showing up at our place around Noon. Then he had a problem snaking a cable through one of our troughs. By 3 PM, almost nothing had been done, and the installer was telling me his boss called and said he could not work overtime to finish the job!! I WAS FURIOUS.

I called up his boss and said, "Does Verizon want me as a customer or not?!" Then I called customer service and was eventually transferred to the Customer Retention department where I asked the same pointed question. I informed them (a very nice rep), that if my tech was not allowed to work and finish, the deal was off. Fifteen minutes later my tech was called and told to he could work until 6:30 PM. By this time I also had to call my building's office and beg them to let him stay that late.

The tech did a good job. In fact, he had to replace almost every inch of co-ax in our 2-bedroom apartment. (It turns out that TW had stapled right through the cable in a number of places when they initially installed, many years ago.) The tech did have to return the following morning, which meant I had to cancel a client I had, losing money, but our installation did get done.

I'm now a satisfied FiOS customer. The network speed is fast. The video and phone both seem clean and reliable.

All of this is why my neighbors have said, and now I say, "I'm glad I did it, but I wouldn't do it again."

Comments:

NYCFios

@verizon.net

Your installer

You might have had a new tech. It shouldn't take that long to install fios in an apartment. As with every other field. Some people work better than others. I wouldn't let the time frame discourage you from going with Fios again.

Fios Tech

@verizon.net

Installation

I had to reply to this post. As a Fios installer, and who has been installations tech for over 15 years, not every install is the same whether its in a high rise building or a single family home. First let me point out, We call our customers first thing in the morning to keep them informed, so if Verizon gives you a AM time, that time is from 8am to 11:59 am, if the tech shows up at 11:50 am , then we did honor our commitment time. First an average install, which is stated when our website or is verbally told if called to order service, is anywhere from 5-8 hours. We do get repairs, and they have to be done first, so again if I show up at 11am, then more than likely i'll be eating dinner with you at your kitchen table(just kidding), more than likely i'll be finishing well after 7, especially if you order 3-4 Set Top cable boxes and also that i don't have to run any new coax cable, because your existing coax tests bad. I go to a lot of people apartments and half of them are filthy, loaded with clutter, i cant even move in the apartment, it's so bad I have to tell the customers they need to move their furniture, which they get pissed, and blame VZ for the time it takes to get them job done. And if your a hoarder, and i do get those from time to time, you really dont deserve Fios, you deserve to be institutionalized, just saying..... Of course on our jobs we get people who's computer is loaded with viruses, is it Verizon's fault that we cant activate your internet,because you dont know how to use a computer, I'm not there to run virus scans to get your computer to work, it's not VZ's job to do that!!!! But the good soul that I am, I try to help the new subscribers always

Review by lijacobs See Profile

• Location: Lawrence,Nassau,NY
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Good "Excellent TV Quality, Inet speed higher than expected (43/35)"
Bad "none"
Overall "Beats CV, both price and quality"

9-15-2013
I still have the same plan and I am still pleased with the quality of service. The on-screen caller ID and the remote access to the DVR are now both very reliable too. Video streaming from all sources including YouTube is excellent.

Double Flex up to 15/5, Extreme HD, MRDVR, HDSTB, QIP72xx,, QIP71xx
3 years negotiating with Verizon before turn up in our co-op - July, 2010

6-28-2011
I'm a Verizon retiree and recently took advantage of VZs new FiOS plan for employees and retirees. I now have Triple Play, Ultimate TV, 35/35 Internet and Freedom Essentials Phone. The service is generally very high quality and reliable except for the on-screen caller ID feature and remote access to my DVR which don't work work most of the time. The picture quality is far better than Cablevision, our previous provider. Internet speed is reliable and never slows down no matter what time of day. Cablevision's speed was variable and was especially slow in the evening hours.