Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1959 reviews (1465 good) (150 bad)

Review by taxciter See Profile

• Location: Virginia Beach,Virginia Beach City,VA
Good "reliable, fast network"
Bad "cost too high for what it is, deceptive business practices"
Overall "the best if you have no feelings about paying a lot more than it costs them"

I have FiOS 75/75 only. No other services. Verizon owns all equipment and rental is included in my monthly bill.
I signed up years ago as soon as FiOS was available to me. As I recall, I initially ordered a bundle, and the install was complete and working properly within 3 days. Later, when I decided to go with internet only, I was a bit surprised that the cost was about the same as the bundle, and disappointed in the obstinate reps who would not take "no bundle" for an answer. Initially (expressly for internet-only service) they insisted on setting up an automatic debit or credit card charge, which I objected to in disbelief. It turned out that was not a requirement, but required my time and energy to defeat.
My first router was a MI424WR. It's recent replacement is a FiOS G-1100. I don't know what the fiber-to-ethernet interface is.

I'm adding this review to share a very disturbing experience:

I have just received my first bill after Verizon sent me one Verizon-owned router to replace another Verizon-owned router. Nothing has changed with my service.

Contrary to what I was told by a Verizon representative during a chat session, my monthly bill has increased by $9.99. I have also been charged $9.99 shipping and handling.

The Verizon website offers no option to replace a failing router with a good router, and that's why I started a chat session. During the chat, the Verizon rep at first appeared to misunderstand what I was asking for, and may have thought I was asking for a free router when I was only asking that Verizon replace their own equipment at no cost to me.
During the chat, the rep directed me to check my router-exchange options by going through the process of renting a new router via the Verizon website. She told me what to do, and what router to select. Before committing to the change, since the website stated I would be adding an additional rental fee to my monthly bill, I clearly asked the rep if my bill would increase as indicated by the website, and she clearly said it would not.

I hope Verizon will understand that a customer must sometimes trust a company representative when they guide the customer through an ordering mechanism not designed to support a particular transaction, with the understanding that all will be subsequently corrected.

If you were able to read a copy of the entire chat, which I'm not sure I can post here without violating a Verizon user agreement, I'm sure you would agree that I have been deceived.
Here is a bit of it, with the name of the Verizon rep changed to V, and My name changed to T:
T(14:07:24): My bill has one line for charges: Service and Equipment. No separated router rental.
V(14:07:50): Equipment charges includes the router.
T(14:08:56): My bill will not increase by $9.99 / month?
V(14:09:46): Yes, it will not increase, it will be same as you're getting now.
T(14:11:09): Thank you, V. That was not clear. I will finish the transaction.

So, the questions I have are:
Will Verizon make this right? If so, do I need to complain elsewhere?
Is this common practice at Verizon?

Maybe some of these will be answered after I call Verizon billing on Monday...
Your comments are welcome...

member for 9.5 years, 14 visits, last login: a few hours ago
lodged a few hours ago

Comments:

VashTS

@bhn.net

You talked to dumb sales rep. If you return the router billing can remove the monthly charge from the account, BUT you will have to have your "own" router. IF you would have talked to Tech support that could have replaced it for free and not affect your bill by upselling you a new router. Also if you are Eithernet then you can use your own router. That would be best really. But you should be able to get that monthly charge removed, might have to go to a sup, but it can be done.

Review by grecord See Profile

• Location: Germantown,Montgomery,MD
Good "Fast, Install simple. Can be located anywhere coax runs in house."
Bad "Bundled services mean outage can be total when it occurs"
Overall "Best combination available. Negligable downtime."

Checked for availability after fiber was run in neighborhood as cable reliability has long since proven unacceptable and 5yrs of DSL had shown that although slower, uptime was extremely high. Finally became available about 11months later. Fiber installation was quick and painless although tech was required to install copy of Verizon software on one machine. I volunteered a laptop for the job. Connection from ONT to Router(Actiontec MI424WR) is via Coax so router could be placed wherever existing cabling was convenient, Mine was short jumper with router at location of network Switch. Ordered 15/2 package with phone bundle. Later in year called about 20/20 service and was provided 20/5 upgrade at no additional cost. Wireless router performs satisfactorily but restoring connection after hibernating Laptop is likely to require resetting laptop wireless client 1 out of 6 times. Technician left security set to WEP64 but interface permits up to WPA2 and full console for changing settings. Changing screens very annoying because it constantly asks if you want to proceed. Ports for large list of applications can be opened or custom setting made. Several Verizon Fee based apps built in. Fairly informative diagnostic tool for troubleshooting connection loss. Have had one outage in 7months which was regional for a few hours. Tech support Better than expected.

Sep-09 Based on reports here I queried Verizon about 25/15 service availability and was able to get service upgraded for an additional $7mo. Service is listed as 25/15 but actually delivers 25/25. Service is reliable, tech support is good, billing is atrocious.

Dec-10 Lost net connection and phone for several hours. Was restored with no input on my part. Makes case for not bundling. Was glad I still have landline as backup.

Jan-11 Added home media DVR and 2nd HD receiver TV service, replacing satellite. Installation quick and easy. Some features lost vs satellite but quality equal and price better even after end of promotional period. STB's use networking via MOCA so lost connectivity to network downstream of firewall. Speed upgrade with bundle tests around 30/27mbps.

Sept-11 System has been reliable and stable, measures a consistent 30.7/26.6 when tested.

Had short slowdown on the net for about three hours last weekend which was self corrected. With storm outages this season we were forced to use cell phones for service even with backup power on the ONT.

Sept-5-'12 System still tests at 30.5/26.7 aside from occasional resets required when router get confused system has been reliable. DVR on the other hand is clunky at best and often is non-responsive to channel change requests or guide updates.

APR-17-'15 Upgraded to 75/75 and was provided with premium movie channels for +$5/mo. However lately ( last few months) network slows noticeably during prime time. You tube and surfing effected the most.

Comments:

Review by DeadSurvivor See Profile

• Location: Tampa,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Price / Picture Quality / Package Offerings (Variety)."
Bad "Menu Layout Takes Getting Use To."
Overall "With Promotions, Channel Variety, Picture Quality, And Price Cannot Be Matched."

·Bright House Net..
Via Mail, I Received An Advertisement For Various Package Offering From Verizon. The Prices Were Decent.

I Opted For The TV Select HD Triple Play Bundle, Advertised At $74.99 (Plus Additional Taxes And Fees).

The TV Select HD Bundle (Which Appeared To Have A Limited Channel Line Up, With Some Channels Which I Have Never Heard Of) Also Came With 25/25 Internet Speeds. Also Included, Digital Voice Unlimited.

After Installation, I Found Out I Would Be Receiving The Fios Select HD Bonus Pack (Normally $5.00) And The Fully Loaded Entertainment Package - The Pay Non-Commercial Channels Such As HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc ... (Valued At $48.99). I Was Not Charged For Neither Of These Extra Add-On Packages. Credits Have Been And Will Be Issued For These Two Extra Add-On Packages For The Next Two Years.

Currently, I Pay $118.06 (For The First Month) And Couldn't Be Happier. This Is A Decent Price With Two Set-Top Boxes And A Router That Are Paid For In This Package.

This Promotion Took A 27 Year Customer From BrightHouse Networks (Since The Days It Was Paragon Cable) And Converted Me Into A Verizon Customer. I Hope In Two Years, Verizon And I Can Continue This TV Provider / Consumer Relationship.

(If BrightHouse Could Have Beaten What Verizon Is Offering, They Would Likely Retain More Customers.
Unfortunately, Verizon Is Serious About Attracting New Customers And Their Approach Is Working.)

Comments:
Timothy28

join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX

Unfortunately

In two years time you would no longer be a Verizon customer as they are selling off Florida, Texas and California to Frontier.

Review by lonls See Profile

• Location: Newark,New Castle,DE
Good "TV and Internet work Great."
Overall "Almost six years now... I'm still loving FiOS!"

I ordered my FiOS on line which was easy (March 13th). Originally my install was set up for two weeks after I made my order, but I had to put it off another three weeks because I couldn't get my original install date off from work. When I called to reschedule I talked to a very nice person who tried to sell me some extra services and she backed off quickly when I said I wanted to check things out further on my own time...no hard sell. So the delay was my doing, not Verizon's. I did a little preliminary setup myself. I ran a Cat 6 cable from where I wanted my router to where they would go through the wall
in the basement. I also ran a heavy-duty extension cord to the where the battery backup was going and I bought an inexpensive upc/battery backup the plug the Verizon backup into.
I had two messages confirming my install before it happened. A live person three days before and an automated message two days before. The Verizon techs (one experienced, one in training) showed up a little before 9am April 17th (the window I was given was between 8 and 12). I showed them where the things I had set up were. They seemed pleased with my prep work and asked if I minded if the ONT were installed inside because the components (ONT,battery box and power supply were all premounted on a board). I told them I preferred it that way. They had to run the cable from a pole in my neighbors yard through (around) a bunch of trees. The inside work was easy. They had me actually running the setup on my main PC while they told me what to do... including a speed test on speakeasy, a good way to learn stuff. I was up and running and they were gone by a little after 1:00pm. I spent another couple of hours reconfiguring my network (all wired), tweaking my other PCs and checking out the wireless. Everything works great and the speeds are as advertised (I have the 5/2). I was really impressed with the whole experience. The Verizon techs impressed me especially, and I'm a tech (copiers and printers, not Verizon) myself and not easily impressed.
I'll try to update this review in a few months after I've used the service for a while.

Here are some speed test results (my upload speeds are a bit faster now after running some tweaks but I'm at work and I don't have the updated results at hand).

dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-04-17 13:50:17 EST:
4936 / 1566
Your download speed : 4936 kbps or 617 KB/sec.

Your upload speed : 1566 kbps or 195.7 KB/sec.

It tests a little faster on speakeasy...
Download Speed: 5062 kbps (632.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1638 kbps (204.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

5/11/06
I've upgraded my service level to 15/2... I had some problems doing this online... They don't send a confirmation e-mail, and the upgrade never showed up on my account info online. I kept trying to set up a new connection and I think I may have confused the issue further... I finally called Verizon and talked to a real person (a really great person) and everything was fixed just fine. I have the 15/2 service now and it is truly amazing. My son is home from college (and a fast .edu internet/network connection... he is also amazed at the speed and quality of our current home connection. This is really a great product at a great price.

12/29/06
I've had Fios for 7 months now and I'm still very pleased. The service is very fast and extremely stable. I haven't had the service go down... ever... I haven't needed to contact Verizon about anything since I upgraded my service in May. I have had no billing issues. I'm very happy with both Verizon and FiOS. I am anxiously awaiting FiOS TV. I should be able to get it 1st quarter of '07.

10/2/07
I've had FiOS internet for a year and a half, and I must say that I am completely satisfied with their product. My connection to the internet is fast, stable and totally reliable. I have had no outages at all in the last year.
During the summer months when my son is home from college there are three of us at home heavily using the connection. My son and wife can both watch TV online at the same time. I've downloaded many linux distro ISO files (about 3Gb each) with absolutely no problems what so ever.
My only small complaint is that the upgraded speeds are not available in all FiOS deployed areas. I have 15/2 and I anxiously await being upgraded to 20/5.
I got the FiOS TV service in April and I have to say that I am very satisfied with that as well. The new Actiontec router seems to work fine, my house is fairly small so I have no issues with the wireless range. It's connected to the ONT via both coax and the original Cat6 cable that I installed. I have the extended basic service (it's all digital) and set top boxes for two televisions. This costs around 45 dollars a month. The Comcast service that I got rid of was analog extended basic with one set top box, half the channels that I get now and inferior picture quality, for 10 dollars more a month than I am paying now. I have to say that Comcast had a better guide, but I'm hoping that will be fixed in the future. When I first had the TV service I noticed a little pixellation a few times, but I haven't seen any more of that in months.
The phone service also works fine. My copper line is still attached to my house, but is not connected to anything. I don't miss the copper at all. I live in a heavily wooded development with aereal services and my old copper line could get noisy at times... that's not good for voice or DSL. I hope the squirrels don't like too much fiber in their diet.

All in all, I am an extremely satisfied Verizon customer.

12/11/2007

Not So Happy Anymore!!!

I've had internet connection issues the last few months. I lose my www for up to an hour or more at a time. I can still ping web sites and load them using an ip address, but "regular" urls don't work during the outages... I've been given a work around for this, but I think that this shouldn't be an issue at all.

My bill has been inaccurate for the last few months. We got a month behind (too much personal crud going on... no excuse really) and the past due amounts have been added twice at least once, compounded... added two and three times. Also, we have phone, tv and internet service and we are not getting triple play pricing. I don't how to fix this without spending hours on the phone. I don't have hours to spend on the phone to Verizon right now. I have a job you know and I don't have a lot of time to spend on the phone with Verizon.

My Father had FiOS installed in north Wilmington and his install was a horror story. He had no internet for a few days and no phone for almost a week due to a provisioning error. He spent many hours (5-6) on the phone to Verizon trying to get this fixed. I feel somewhat responsible because I recommended FiOS so highly to him.

3/27/08

The uptime issues seem to be fixed for now. My connection is fast and reliable again. Trying to understand Verizon's billing is a challenge. I still have unresolved billing issues.

5/07/08

I've had a few evenings worth of slow internet and DNS issues. We switched my wife's cell phone service from Sprint to Verizon and it's really sad that the "quadruple play" pricing for existing customers online was more than my (third party) employee discount for Verizon cell phone pricing....

I'm still waiting after almost two years to have my 15/2 upgraded to 20/5... Verizon gets a C+.

The $190 is for basic land line service, 15/2 internet with extra storage for my verizon based web site (an extra 100MB of storage for almost $7 a month... memory is cheap, what's up with this???), basic FiOS digital TV service and $50 for a 450 minute/month+ unlimited text cell phone plan.

7/24/2008

The actual service has been great lately. I can't understand why Verizon won't automatically upgrade existing 15/2 FiOS customers to the 20/5 service. I've been trying to do this online for a few weeks even though it will cost an extra $3 a month. I've had no luck yet even though I get a screen that says I've successfuly upgraded my service. Something like this should be simple to do.

3/16/2011

It's been almost 5 years now since I first upgraded to FiOS and all in all I have been very satisfied with the product. I have experienced very few connectivity issues, the up and down speeds are consistent and the basic TV service is almost flawless.

1/12/2012

Almost six years now... I'm still loving FiOS!

Comments:

lonls
Life is good
join:2006-03-20
Newark, DE

Almost 9 years now...

...and I am still loving Fios. It has been a super ISP and comtent provider... Five Stars and beyond

Review by goofy256 See Profile

• Location: Woodbridge,Prince William,VA
Good "Price with phone is less than $100"
Bad "No complaints"
Overall "Happy with FiOS"

Update after complaining that speed dropped to 2 megabits. Verizon phone tech went through a process of resetting everything to defaults, and after that they sent me a new Revision I router, with gigabit ethernet ports. The new router has returned the speed to what I expected, and I don't see an additional charge to rent the new router, so I have no complaints.

Update after introductory period:
Speed dropped to match the bill, 15/5. Felt slow, so I pay $11 more each month for 25/25.

Changed from Verizon DSL at 3Mbps to FiOS, paid for 15/5. Measured 22 up and 22 down, so that's better than my DSL service. Install was smooth, I was lucky and had two installers, so that went quickly. All e-mail and other accounts were intact after the change, so my wife didn't complain.

If the power fails for more than 8 hours, the telephone will be dead. I've never had that kind of power failure, so I don't know what I'm afraid of.

Update after 3 months:
Still very fast, the Verizon speed test says 25 down, 25 up. I also checked another speed test server at DSL Reports, in NetEasy in Parsippany New Jersey. That test was 23 down, 22 up. So, I'm getting more than I pay for.
Also, I don't subscribe to TV, and tried to plug the cable from the FIOS box into my television. No picture, unfortunately.

Comments:

Review by kmcheng See Profile

• Location: Maspeth,Queens,NY
Good "blasting down and up speed, intergrated phone feature as digital voice"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "good value for the money"

update 4/6/15
the router has problem renewing IP, have to call in to do so. on top of this, the speed (especially download) dropped dramatically, to around 2/20, which is pretty much basic DSL speed.
I called tech support, a guy named Ted from Texas is VERY knowledgeable and helpful. He determined that it is the Verizon router's problem, and send me a replacement (at no cost to me)
the order was made on 6 after 4pm, so it will go to the next day. the problem is, they give me a wrong tracking number at first (the number is for return shipping), so I got no info until the 8 in the morning
anyway, I got the box. the router the fios tech gave back then is MI424WR Rev.E, this new one is Rev.I, has two antennas. the procedure is pretty easy, just change the router, and then check the speed, which is back to normal. then I set it to bridge mode again, and connect my Asus router back. everything is back to normal now
I still like the service despite this small incident

update 7/21/14
joined the My Reward+, got the symmetrical speed upgrade
»Verizon Makes All FiOS Tiers Symmetrical
»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 39538052

update 12/1/13
»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 37090129

update 11/27/13
changed the router to Asus rt-ac68u, now the speed is back to as if I am only using the router from Verizon, almost 60/40

update 11/7/13
there is already a fios drop nearby, so the tech just connect the drop to my house, and install the ONT. The yellow wire within the black cover is indeed thin, just like a thin electric wire. I bet the actual fiber inside is even thinner

something interesting on the speed. the plan is up to 50/25, but the actual speed is nearly 60/40, unbelievable! Only that, when I make the MI424WR router to bridge mode and use my own WRT54GL router, the speed dropped to around 42/38. I have to OC the router from 200 mhz to 250 (using ddwrt) to get around 55mb download. Well, I guess it does take CPU power for the much higher bandwidth, given I just found out that the MI424WR actually has a dual core 64 bit processor... I am planning to get the asus rt-ac68u router for this, waiting for black friday to hopefully get it for a cheaper price

the phone is good, with digital voicemail service. the my fios app for android is useful also

the overall fios experience is good so far the only "down side" is, the account no is not my phone number anymore, and I can't "recycle" my previous DSL account username

-----------------------
moved to a nearby place in early Sept, has fios service available. saw a verizon fios sales tent on a sidewalk one day, went there to ask, and the sales guy Peter helped me to sign up with a very good price. well, I have been using verizon online DSL for a few years until I moved, so I guess this has credit also
I have the double play internet and phone for $59.99 month without contract, plus tax is still less than $70, not bad. Add fios TV would cost more than $50, not going to do that. The internet plan is 50/25

have to delay the installation because of renovation, but finally got it done in early Nov. well, before that, they messed up the installation date, so they gave me $10 off for 12 month.

Comments:

Review by SimplyDimi See Profile

• Location: East Elmhurst,Queens,NY
Good "Great pings when there's no peering/congestion issues (rarely nowadays)"
Bad "Slow DL speed from 6pm-12am EST (constant congestion/peering issues)"
Overall "Decent service when it's working but has turned horrible lately (avoid for now)"

Order/install took about a week and a half, bumpy sign up with savings and deals the representative promised to be giving me, claimed I was voiding install fee's and a bunch of other things which I ultimately had to call in to clarify a bunch of times till they credited the money back. (charged me an extra 150$ just to hook up a cat5e cable from ONT to the router which were 2 feet away from each other, tech had done it on his own without informing me of any additional charges but was billed later that month for it)

75/75 internet, phone and preferred HD services. (all routers supplied are horrible for wifi, use your own)

Only issue is with the actual internet service itself, upon signing up with verizon fios they claimed I wouldn't have to deal with congestion like issues anymore because they're a dedicated fiber infrastructure. My 75/75 turns to 5/75 after 6pm, so that was a lie.

For months now 1000's of people on dsl reports and the verizon forums along with myself are reporting the same issue of their download speed dropping significantly around 6pm-12am, along with having huge ping spikes and numerous hops with packet loss. I've opened over 17 tickets that have been labelled "resolved" and 4 techs show up and swap my gear, they keep closing tickets when the issue still persists every night like clockwork.

Verizon has done nothing but give people the runaround and refuses to acknowledge tracert's, speed tests and every little piece of info pointing to their poorly maintained CO's not properly configured to support the mass amount of people connecting to them, they're also inevitably bad at providing good peering and purposely put people through horrible/congested nodes.

Again not everyone is having these issues but a large amount are and who knows how many average users don't even see what's going on. All I see on twitter are 100's and thousands of people complaining about the services after 6pm as opposed to before that time frame, could they be having the same issue? my guess is probably.

Overall I would advise staying away from FiOS for the meantime, unless you wanna try your luck and hope you're one of the lucky ones that won't experience these issues.

(3/11/2015) UPDATE: Verizon is having huge peak hour slowdowns through routing that's going through Virginia and Washington.

(3/16/2015) UPDATE: Peering/throttling issues all around going through alter.net (Verizon), cogent and level3, incompetent network infrastructure and backbones falling apart during peak hours and when handing off to any type of 3rd party services. Verizon lies and says it only guarantee's their service through hops 1-4, from a network stand point that means they don't care about anything past their local CO's which is in fact 99.99% of the rest of the internet. have fun using 500/500 to get that rate ONLY to Verizon services and that is also hit or miss nowadays.

Comments:
greatshow09

join:2013-07-07
Minneapolis, MN

Wait? Verizon is selling off alot of it's customers to frontier..

Where are you? This could explain it. By the way when did this start happening? Because I heard Frontier (and frontier fiOS) performance was terrible.

1 recommendation

Re: Wait? Verizon is selling off alot of it's customers to frontier..

said by greatshow09:

New York, which isn't part of the areas VZ sold to Frontier.

Speed?

I always wounder what it is people are doing that they say is so slow. Its something you can actually see your download speed on? I've not had 1 issue at any time of day. Im sure you talked to tech support and they had you do the speed test and that came back fine right? Your eithernet so you might even have your own router to they would have had to bypass the router and go right to 1 PC and test to the server. If they sent techs out, they have computers they test with. Im sure that test must have been fine for them not to call it into tier 2. But what ever your doing between 6-12 is slow? Any other time of day its fine? So during the high use time you expect what ever your doing to be as fast as non peek times, even though its outside of any ISPs control? Please post screen shots of your traceroutes and lets see where that speed issue is.
JohnDoe232

join:2014-03-26

I agree

Can confirm, FiOS service does have random slow-downs during evening hours. Doesn't happen as often as it did before but still exists. Most noticeable when watching streaming video content from providers like Twitch.tv. Twitch's tech support staff also confirmed the fact that they received a lot of complaints about "buffering" on stream specifically from FiOS users in an NYC area.

And yes, the recent mass "outage" in whole NorthEast (NYC, Boston, etc.) region 4 days ago was also extremely annoying, with sites like Twitter, Reddit and (surprise, surprise!) whole Twitch.tv being completely inaccessible for several hours (while other sites continued to work well and file download speeds not being affected by that "outage").
lijacobs

join:2010-07-30
Lawrence, NY

all lines are in fact copper on the poles ???

"a little side note on Verizon claiming its fully fiber optic, that is also a huge lie 9/10 times. specifically speaking from New York all lines are in fact copper on the poles so even though you're getting a fiber optic cable to the ONT, that actual fiber is converting to copper lines on the pole thus not legitimate fiber. only actual service to offer fiber from their CO to the home is Google Fiber, so don't get fooled."

Mr. SimplyDimi, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about!

said by lijacobs:

Mr. SimplyDimi, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about!

the fiber optic cable runs right into the pole and stops there, the lines running to the CO are based off copper that's been laying there for 10's of years. I have TWC 300/100 in my area and i get literally 0ms jitter at peak times vs my FiOS "fiber" which is getting packet loss and fluctuating jitter up to 60-70ms spikes through multiple hand off's to alter.net, cogent and level3. if it's such good "fiber" why is cable getting better results and performance overall, i'm just going by what i physically see at the pole in the neighborhood, even if im wrong about this info it doesn't justify verizon's horrible peering, throttling and congestion issues through all types of services.

VZKid

Re: all lines are in fact copper on the poles ???

LOL FiOS is 100% fiber! They only share the same poles. Do some research before you post outrageous false facts.

Re: all lines are in fact copper on the poles ???

100% congested fiber with peering/routing issues along with an extra pinch of throttling

Spam13

@verizon.net
They share poles with Copper and Fiber. FiOS is fiber from the C.O. to the ONT.

ex fios tech

@verizon.net
the only copper you have is from the ont to your phone or tv and router.. the copper still hangs outside but isnt used once you go to fios . know your facts

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

Re: all lines are in fact copper on the poles ???

I cant believe he thinks FiOS uses copper between CO and ONT. LMFAO.

2 edits

said by ITALIAN926:

I cant believe he thinks FiOS uses copper between CO and ONT. LMFAO.

oh well, took a verizon level 2 tech's info about the copper. goes to show you can't trust anything they say. regardless 700-1900ms latency is inexcusable on copper and or fiber.
sorry for the "misinformation" but still doesn't justify the horrid peering/throttling issues.

whatever the case, this surely doesn't feel like a "fiber optic" experience.

verizon doesn't wanna play nice with ANY CDN's like level3, akamai, amazon and so on, they're playing the money grab game they were playing with netflix last year with everyone before the FCC rules kick in (if they even do)

Same experience as yours

.... and I ditched them as well.

I ordered 25/25 Internet with Preferred HD and two CableCARD's.

I also went through the same slowdowns you describe. And the culprit also was alter.net.

Oh well... Cablevision does just fine.

Re: Same experience as yours

said by Network Guy:

.... and I ditched them as well.

I ordered 25/25 Internet with Preferred HD and two CableCARD's.

Oh well... Cablevision does just fine.

haha alter.net is actually owned by Verizon Communications, they try to fool the average consumers by saying they don't control those peering points, which in fact they do.
nice try verizon, nice try.

Re: Same experience as yours

You compelled me to fact-check your statement, and you're right.

Go figure.. Not surprised at all..
tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
·Optimum Online
·ooma

30 days

I hardly noticed any slowdowns here.. maybe a few "down" website routing issues, but that's about it..

If you are in your first 30 days, you CAN cancel with no significant obligation (other than to pay the first pro-trated bill) to Verizon even if you signed a 2 year contract. if they get customers cancelling on them they WILL go and do something about it.

over the last year my svc went out a couple times.. the last time they put it back on I lost the "fluff" upstream they offered customers (70 megabit on the 50/50 plan). I requested a bill credit when it was out most of a weekend. Does ayone still have their upstream FLUFF? I'm still deciding whether to switch back to CV again when my deal is up...

Re: 30 days

My 25/25 connection always fluffed to about 27 on average.
patt2k

join:2009-01-16
said by tmc8080:

Me too I have 75/75 (82/92) and had only one slowdown and it was actiontec issue,factory reset solved it.

Review by keystone See Profile

• Location: Flushing,Queens,NY

good product!!!

member for 4.6 years, 197 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by serge87 See Profile

Good "When it works(not often more recently), it works without any problems"
Bad "Premium price, routing quality leaves a LOT to be desired"
Overall "Garbage speeds at peak time (6-11pm), incompetent peering practices, VPN use necessary at times"

3/14/15 - In the past few days the WAN gateway has been dropping my connection every couple of hours until I can reset my router. Annoying, but not totally unexpected at this point.

2/21/15 - Speeds still not there in the evening...jitter and packet loss unfortunately exists

1/27/2015 - Download speeds dropping like a rock at peak time 6-11pm EST. Stay tuned to see how much worse it can get.

11/26/14 - Still terrible Internet routing, Verizon is not planning to do anything about it and has stated in press releases wireline budgets are getting the axe...if you're reading this and contemplating switching to Verizon from CableVision, Optimum or TimeWarner, you have been warned...

Update 8/13: Bandwidth caps have been confirmed to be between 2-10TB/month, even for Business customers(that part seems odd, but it's just an extra f.u. to the customer).

member for 5.3 years, 1830 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

probably wont fix itself......

Might want to call in a repair issue?

join:2009-11-29

Re: probably wont fix itself......

said by ITALIAN926:

Might want to call in a repair issue?

Repair call won't do anything, I have full speed but latency is crap and I get massive timeouts. Verizon refuses to acknowledge the problem. They insist it's everything except their network(my router, pc, website visited, etc). I have hard evidence via trace routes and pingplots but the tier 1 support doesn't even know what a trace route is. I am not the only one - see the forum especially the thread titled " High pings / bad routing..."

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11

Re: probably wont fix itself......

Just insist to talk to their manager, eventually you'll get someone who knows their stuff. Verizon FiOS has the lowest pings I've ever had something is definitely wrong

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 8514.png

guppy_fish
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL

remove profanity

Please remove your 4 letter profanity from your summary.

Re: remove profanity

said by guppy_fish:

Please remove your 4 letter profanity from your summary.

Edited with stars to protect delicate sensibilities.

Still?

Still having issues? If you have logs of high pings and trace routes then when you call tell the person that. The phone support cant do anything about that. What they will do and should do is offer to send a tech out, when its happening, so they can see it on their own device and call it in to tier 2 since that they only way to get it done. Could be a bad PON card. Guess what. They wont do anything about it unless a tech is on site. And if its just during the normal "busy" times, ever think its not the ISP but the other side of the internet itself? Whats going slow thats bothering you so much? If its just some sites... well there u go, not Verizon. If its something else please let us know here so we can try to help you with that.

Re: Still?

said by VashTS :

ever think its not the ISP but the other side of the internet itself?

Sorry, but you're mistaken. When Verizon's own speedtest server can't provide the advertised speed, I can longer blame the rest of the Internet...

YMun99

join:2015-03-01
Providence, RI

Re: Still?

I had Cox Cable and got better speeds but they wanted more money maybe I should have stayed with Cox what a nightmare to pay for a service and get blamed or told it's on my end .
NbWY1

join:2003-05-23
Columbia, MD

No location, no review.

What market are you in, location even. Without it, one can only speculate what is going on. Plus, my FiOS is awesome in the MD area ~_##

@bhn.net

Re: No location, no review.

Its funny how people who have these internet speed issues never have speed tests/ trace routes or anything to show where the slow down is.

Hey look updated about slow speeds again, but you have had Fios since 2013, if its really that bad please go to someone else. I wish I could get Fios again. Never had a speed issue. I have it at work at at peek times it works just fine for me.

Review by cchhat01 See Profile

• Location: Elmhurst,Queens,NY
Good "Consistent speeds, speedtest are always fast, always on, 0 downtime"
Bad "none that i can think of at the moment"
Overall "get it if you can (afford it)!"

So I've had Verizon FIOS since Jun 2013. I only subscribe to their internet service as I am locked down to DISH Network for their TV package for a couple of years.

I have their 50/25 package and pay $49.99 per month. Recently, Verizon sneaked in a $1 fee and as such my bill has increased by a dollar but that's about it.

So far, we've had about 7 months of reliable service with ZERO downtime. I am really impressed. I previously had RCN Cable and was really frustrated with their peak-time slowdowns for nearly 6 months. Nothing was being done to fix these slowdowns and therefore, so I just pulled the trigger. I am paying a higher price (about $15/month more for introductory year) but the consistency of FIOS is the difference.

I've not really experienced any slowdowns. Speed tests are always consistently around the 58/38 Mbps range (added fluff).

I sometimes feel that there are peering issues slowdowns where certain sites load slowly at certain times in the day. And some sites I've noted are slower on FIOS than on cable (wikidevi.com for example). Not sure why. But overall I am satisfied. I am not sure I will continue service after the 1 year period as its simply not something I can afford to pay $80+ for 50/25 service. I will definitely try calling them around the 11 month mark and discuss continuing at the same rate for an additional year but I'm not holding my breath.

YouTube HD and Netflix SuperHD streams without any hiccups (so far).

Pre-sales: I'm rating this category as 3-star because of their "add-on-bogus-fee" tactics and here's why. I completed most of my pre-sales online and ultimately when it was time to select a date for installation, I decided to save the configuration and gave the sales team a call to see if there were any earlier dates available for install (sooner than the date available on their online calendar). They were accommodating and gave me an earlier date. Great. However, when I received an email confirming the install date, they added an install fee of $39.99 spread over 3 months. WTF? I called back and disputed it, clearly stating that this was wasn't present before. Their response was, we cannot remove this at the moment. However, after the install, they would credit me for the fee. Not happy with the response, I called again and tried speaking with another rep and again was told the same thing. I cancelled the order. Wasted a couple of days of time. Ultimately ordered FIOS completely online. No finagling with the billing etc by their reps. Everything was pretty smooth this time. Bottom line, If you can get the deals without calling customer care, ORDER ONLINE and save yourself from the low-balling of their sales team trying to sell you something you may not want. Of course, do this if you're well informed of what you want.

Install: Fantastic. The guy showed up very early (around 8AM). Was very courteous. I had a pre-wired FIOS installation from when we "tried" and cancelled before. I had also ran my own Shielded CAT5 cable from the ONT to my router. I told him I was not planning on using their router because of lack of 5GHz and the limited bandwidth on the 2.4Ghz Wifi. He was quite impressed with my WDS setup. He said that if I had wanted, he would have run a CAT5 cable himself (since I was getting JUST their internet services). Since all of the hard work was already done on a previous install, this was just a plug and play install for him and he was in-and-out in less than 20-25 minutes. Service was blazing fast since the first run.

Connection reliabilty: Has been rock solid (knock-on-wood) since install. Speed-tests are consistent. I have set up DSLR Smokepings several times and I barely see any packet loss through out my 14day smokeping. If your setup is in good shape, you will not have to worry about connectivity. THIS is why people want and go with FIOS. Because it is very consistent. No peak-time slowdowns (YET).

One odd thing that I have seen is that if I release and renew my IP through the router, there are about 10ms of discrepancies between the "Line Quality" test from lq2.dslreports.com based on the IP pool I am in and I have yet to determine the cause of this problem. So I wrote a script that releases-then-renews and checks pings to DSLR lq1 & lq2 until I am satisfied with the ping timings. If you have no idea what I am talking about, don't worry about it.

Tech Support: Its hard to rank them here because I have not needed to call them, EVER. But at a point in our previous usage of FIOS, we had to call them in for switching from COAX to CAT5 data on the ONT and they switched us over fairly quickly.

Value for money: I say this is the best thing you can get in my neighborhood. Sure Cable companies advertise similar speeds for less but in my experience, they dont come anywhere near FIOS. I don't have to deal with peak-time slowdowns. However it does become quite expensive after the first year so it is something for me to think about. I'll cross that bridge when I have to.

I will try to update my review whenever I get a chance to do so over the course of time.

UPDATE 3/13/2015:

I went to RCN for a while because FIOS pricing became ridiculous after a year. After a couple of months I came back to FIOS. 2 yrs agreement, 50/50 speeds and price of $39.99/month locked for 2 years. Can't get any better at that price. I had some hiccups during my first year with fios earlier (before I went to RCN). However, they resolved them within a couple of weeks (bad routing on their part which caused traffic on my path during peak hours).

However, since i signed up for the 2 years, things are always the same. always consistent (knock-on-wood). Still recommended as the best ISP only.

thanks,

cchhat01

member for 13.9 years, 3920 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Xanax3MG

Quantum 500 is Amazing

I have a USA Office in Zip Code 11530 -- Long Island, New York. I am connected by Verizon (FIOS) Quantum.

I have consistent local speeds of 500-525/100-115 Mbps. On SpeedTest.Net, I connected to the SoftLayer DataCentre in Amsterdam, Netherlands. I got a connection of 465 Mbps. inbound and uploaded at my full 100 Mbps. I need the speed to manage domestic and foreign dedicated servers.
I'm astounded. This is the very fastest Internet connectivity in North America that I have ever seen.
NYC Girl
join:2007-02-04
Bronx, NY

This is how they make their money. You sign up for one package with all kinds of discounts and when you get the comfirmation email there's a different price which has INCREASED.

I was thinking of switchjng back to optimum; HOWEVER, internet speed choices are either 15, 50 or 101. What Fios doesn't charge for optimum does, which makes up for the taxes optimum doesn't charge (20.00) from Fios.

They all suck and they know we need them.

anonomeX

@comcast.net

Funny thing...

When I got FiOS 7 years ago (early 2007), it was cheaper than cable and way faster. Now speed is almost irrelevant and pricing is fairly equivalent. FiOS also used to be completely reliable with no issues in getting to any sites (Netflix etc.); now there are nothing but issues (not technical issues really, just Verizon being penurious). I've switched [back] to Comcast and getting the same speeds for half the price (promo, but still cheaper for the next 2 years). For the most part Comcast has been very reliable in my area--no worse than FiOS. (Frankly, all Verizon had to do to keep me as a customer was to not jack up my monthly fee by $8 [with no prior notice]. I guess they just really did not want my business.)