Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1931 reviews (1456 good) (142 bad)

Review by guppy_fish See Profile

• Location: Lakeland,Polk,FL
Good "7 years and counting, no issues"
Bad "Don't have anything bad to say"
Overall "Good service, great internet , if you want cheap, go somewhere else and complain"

Update 10/20/2012

No issues, No STB's now, only use QAM for local TV

Update 03/17/2014

Nothing new, just works, flawless internet and TV performance and quality

Might drop the TV to locals only and ditch the DVR this year ...

Update 06/12/2013

Like the energizer, just keeps going. Best service available, period!

Isn't the cheapest, I also don't drive a Yugo, very good value for the cost.

Currently have 75/35 Quantum, best internet one can get.

Update 11/30/2011

Pretty boring, no issues, have the new image 1.9 and it works fine, when I renewed I went to Fios Digital Voice, it only saves 3.50 but one gets a tone of features most VOIP providers have.

Phone, TV, internet all work great ... what else could one expect from a provider? oh I know there is a forum full of never to be happy people that will knit pick things to death, for everyone else, Fios is a great service

Update 12/4/2009

Nothing New, Flawless still, very happy customer. Waiting for FDV ( Fios Digital Voice ) to roll out for Florida and Quad Play discounts that the Northeast gets, but this will just be icing on the cake.

Update 8/29/2009

Flawless performance since last update. Verizon has come thru on all promotions, The VISA card came right on time and billing is correct even though I upgraded to the 25/15 tier for a 10 dollar increase over the 20/5 tier. Everything is working great, no issues or concerns

Update 5/27/2009

Well I signed up for Video, It was really hard call to leave DTV and pay the penalty for breaking my 2 year contract, I read daily the Fios TV forum and if you go by what is posted there its a scary thought to make the move.

The tech showed up on time, he let me do everything how I wanted as I am on Ethernet, he gave me a new westel router and I configured it to be behind the dlink 655 I use for the primary router. Total install for Video change over ( one DVR ) was about 30 minutes.

Had and issue with VOD and premium channels, Verizon keep escalating internally and each time Verizon called me with the status, at the end of the day it was fixed and we are very happy with the service. The DVR disk is small but with the VOD its almost pointless to record stuff as most content is available using VOD.

Only wish is that the guide was HD width, hear that is coming latter this year. Overall, we are happy with the switch and discounts and signup bonus will cover the DTV ETF fees

Update 3/8/2009

Things have been smooth, I signed up for the double play, billing finally got the some of the credits promised and service has been solid. I watch the FIOS TV forum as see there is progress there but for now I'm staying with just phone/internet. I have increased my rating on connection reliability as the service has had no interruptions in almost 3 months.

I'm using a DIR655 for the router now, mostly for 1G lan networking, nice to be on Enet as I can switch routers as I choose.

Update 12/15/2008

Well, all the promised credits never appeared, worse the contacts at Tampa office have all be reorganized and the people that promised the credits are no longer in charge. I have tried for 3 weeks to get things resolved, I did manage to get a partial credit but it no longer makes sense to have 20/20 as except for large torrents, no place on the net , including online backup services do not support 20mb upload speeds

I have gone back to the 20/5 and phone bundle.

Also, last two days , service has gone out twice and down for 5-6 hours ( internet and phone ) and had to call 6 times to get things resolved ( 3 hours on cell phone ), the first level techs are pleasant, but literally can't do anything, including putting in trouble tickets or even getting a network tech involved without a managers approval.

The problems were all CO related as my neighbors were also out.

The 3 year wait for FIOS is now the reality a fast local internet to a slow national INTERNET, billing which has three different departments,which one of ALWAYS turn down credits over 50 bucks

When a customer of Brighthouse I always got billing resolved with one call, when they go DOCIS 3.0 I'll look into dumping FIOS, Verizon is totally out of control on the support and billing and now with two outages, I'll never get the TV service, as at least I still have TV with DTV when FIOS was down on Sunday

Update 11/15/2008

Service has been flawless. Thanks to Karl, I am on the 20/20 service now, I'm not in a bundle but due to the BBR and Karl, I'm getting credits so in effect I am getting a bundle discount.

Still using my own WRT54G and again the installation tech was great, my neighbor now has FIOS and did a similar install

One things I notice is the speed tests are useless for testing upload. I have no issue getting my rated speed using torrents and using Verizon speed test. but the fact is the Net is NOT wired for 20mbs upload from residential accounts.

Verizon has been easy to work with, again thanks to Karl, I have the local contacts and they have been fantastic in two minor billing issues ( getting charged for activation but came from DSL ) and the package change.

I'll keep milking the DTV thing until I won't get dinged canceling, currently I just call up to cancel and they keep giving me credits to stay and free movies, probably next year when the FIOS video issues are all address, I'll go triple or even quad play when Verizon finishes on buying Alltel, my current cell provider

Original Post:

Well today I got FIOS, 20/5 package and The Freedom Phone Package. I decided to wait on the triple play as I have monitored the BBR FIOS forums since day one and the Video issues still have problems ( mostly DVR issues ). I'm also under DTV contract and am happy with the service so I'll wait it out and then NOT have to give DTV 400 bucks to switch

The Tech was great!, On time, professional and installed exactly where I wanted it and we used my WRT54G as the router, never even took the Actiontech out the box. No issues, worked first try, my 3 year wait is over and couldn't be more pleased!

member for 10.8 years, 5272 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Frankg0 See Profile

• Location: Loudoun, VA
Good "Knowledgeable sales rep, great and fast installer, fast speeds,"
Bad "I need to get new computers or at least faster wireless NICs. Noticed some slow down at times but not bad."
Overall "Should have done this long ago, fast speeds and lower cost from what I was paying before."

·Verizon Online DSL
Verizon has been calling/emailing/mailing me almost non-stop since FiOS was available in my neighborhood. I just procrastinated. I had DSL and 2 phone lines.

So finally I decided to switch. First sales rep was OK but I was not ready to act when he called. I asked him to send me an email with all we discussed but he said he could not do that. (2 lines, 15/5 for $85)

I called and this rep was not as nice he wanted to charge me $80 activation when first guy said it was waived. (2 lines, 15/5 for $85 plus activation fee) So i decided to wait for them to call again.

2 days later got a very nice rep and we chatted about what I could get and without me asking she asked me to check my email and I had a quote from her with everything plainly laid out. 2 lines, 50/25 and no fees for install/activation for $85 total. So I said let's do it. This was on the 10th. Scheduled install on the 18th.

I moved some hardscaping out of the way for the fiber install. That was done on the 13th.

I cleared the area for the ONT and BBU and cleared the area for the router. There is a home run coax cable from the ONT location to this room so I pulled the wall plate so he could terminate the end after toning it out.

Installer showed up at about 11:30 on the 18th after calling saying he was coming in an hour. He surveyed the locations and got to work. He was done in about 2 hours. Installed the BBU inside next to an outlet. ONT (I-211M-K) outside in an enclosure. Toned out the coax and terminated both ends. He hooked up the router (MI424WR-GEN3I) and got the internet going. Then he went back out and hooked up both phone lines and tested each one. After he left I set my wireless back up and was connected to work in a matter of minutes.

The install was completely painless and fast. The only issue I had was with the sales reps but it was no big deal. Now I have faster internet and clearer telephone service at a much cheaper price than before (85 vs 148).

Now I just have to learn my new router details and tweak my home PCs a bit. I do need to buy a new home PC. This one is ancient...

4/1/14: Update - Dropped 2nd phone line so price is now down to 72 total with taxes.
10/2014: Update - Now getting 50/50 speeds.

member for 9.6 years, 3028 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by serge87 See Profile

Good "When it works, it works great"
Bad "Premium price, data caps exist"
Overall "summary: s**t, bad peering practices, VPN use necessary"

Since Christmas 2012 routing and packet loss has gotten really bad. Data caps for high bandwidth users and of course a small fortune for the higher speed tiers.

Update 8/13: Bandwidth caps have been confirmed to be between 2-10TB/month, even for Business customers.

10/6/14 - Still crap routing, no change...if you're reading this and contemplating switching to Verizon from CV or TWC, buyer beware.

member for 4.8 years, 1599 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

probably wont fix itself......

Might want to call in a repair issue?

join:2009-11-29

Re: probably wont fix itself......

said by ITALIAN926:

Might want to call in a repair issue?

Repair call won't do anything, I have full speed but latency is crap and I get massive timeouts. Verizon refuses to acknowledge the problem. They insist it's everything except their network(my router, pc, website visited, etc). I have hard evidence via trace routes and pingplots but the tier 1 support doesn't even know what a trace route is. I am not the only one - see the forum especially the thread titled " High pings / bad routing..."

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11

Re: probably wont fix itself......

Just insist to talk to their manager, eventually you'll get someone who knows their stuff. Verizon FiOS has the lowest pings I've ever had something is definitely wrong

»www.speedtest.net/result/2504358514.png
guppy_fish
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL

remove profanity

Please remove your 4 letter profanity from your summary.

Re: remove profanity

said by guppy_fish:

Please remove your 4 letter profanity from your summary.

Edited with stars to protect delicate sensibilities.

Review by sludgemaster See Profile

• Location: Bronx,Bronx,NY
Good "Substantially cheaper than the alternative -- cablevision"
Bad "Horrible customer service, internet speed no where near what is claimed"
Overall "If you need to save $75 - $100 a month go with Verizon, otherwise Cablevision"

·Optimum Online
I pay for 75/75. Every day between 5 p.m. and 10 p.m. the speed slows to 10. Cannot stream Pandora or use VPN. I have a SamKnows white box, so my connection speeds are being recorded automatically from the router -- no operator error or mis-configured computers involved. FIOS is supposed to be a dedicated fiber line. Obviously, local congestion is making the connection useless during peak periods. They make it very difficult to contact tech support. When you finally do, the excuses range from "its a problem with your computer" (not - there is no computer involved in my speed tests), to "our system shows that you have 50/25" (the SamKnows box reports 75/75 and they are billing me for 75/75), to "we don't support any router other than Verizon's" (this has nothing to do with the router). Its 4:30 pm. Speed is already down to 35. By 6:00 it will be down to 10. Verizon doesn't see any problem.

member for 8.8 years, 132 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
serge87

Truth

I am familiar with your pain and I only wish I had to option of going to CableVision...I would do it in a heartbeat.
sludgemaster
join:2005-12-06
Bronx, NY

Re: Truth

Thanks for validating my experience. I guess its back to Cablevision.

Review by julesism See Profile

• Location: Lewisville,Denton,TX
Good "Service never goes down and I always get the speeds I pay for."
Bad "Billing is a complete mess. Still behind on HD content."
Overall "FiOS has lost it's new car shine/smell."

I've wanted FIOS for years but never lived in an area where it was available. How I lived without FIOS for so long baffles me. Now that I have it, I'll never be able to live without it. The internet speeds are unheard of and are stable\reliable. Internet is most important to me so I'm golden. I'm using my own router. My internet is Ethernet\DHCP so all I had to do was release the DHCP lease on the Verizon router and plug the Ethernet drop into my Linksys WRT610Nv2 running TomatoUSB. The routers supplied by Verizon are yawn.

TV is pretty good but here is where my complaints are. The hard drive size is not very big. FIOS TV is missing several HD channels that many other providers have. For me, I'm disappointed that Fox Soccer Channel HD and BBC America HD are not available. I had Remote DVR Access working using my Linksys router but they disabled my access because I am using an unsupported router. I understand if it's not supported but don't disable mine when it's working fine. Not happy about that but I'll live.

My bill will go up to ~$170 a month ($155 if I drop FS+) after my first 6 months. First month is ~$135.

Signed up on 4/26/10. Live on 4/30/10
FIOS 35/35 Internet
Ultimate HD with EPIX
1 x Home Media HD-DVR STB
1 x HD STB
Fox Soccer Plus a la carte (+$15)

UPDATE 11/2/10
In late July, I returned the Home Media DVR and the HD STB for a HD DVR box to save some money. It took until October to get the billing straightened out but each time I was properly credited, just a hassle to call and fix it. It's all good now. My bill is now ~$135\month after promotions\credits. I'm getting $20 credits and HBO\Cinemax free until December.

UPDATE 12/22/10
I just dropped FiOS TV but kept FiOS internet. I now have 15/5 for $54.99 a month. I switched to TWC for TV because they have 3 soccer channels (FSC, FS+, and GOLTV) in HD. FiOS has 0. As soon as FiOS catches up with FSC and FS+, I plan on going back to FiOS TV.

UPDATE May 2011
I came back to FIOS TV after the footie season was over and also went with a triple bundle. I currently have Ultimate HD with a MR-DVR in the living room and a stand alone HD box in the bedroom, 35/35 internet, and digital voice for ~$136/mth including taxes and after discounts. I'm happy with the newer STB's and FSC-HD is nice. All I need now is FS+HD and IMG 1.9.

UPDATE 11-28-11
Bill went up $10 to ~$146. Lost a discount. Following another members action, I've decided to lower the value for money option. I'm constantly debating whether or not I should go back to TWC for TV. FiOS TV has fallen behind with HD additions. TWC has FS+, GolTV, ESPN Deportes, and soon Fox Deportes all in HD. FiOS has none of those. It was like pulling teeth getting FiOS to give us FSC in HD. I'm pretty sure I can count the number of HD additions since April 2010 on both hands. Really wish FiOS exec's would make some decisions on their plans to combat this but nothing but fuzzy math and logic so far.

UPDATE 4-11-12
I decided to lower the pre-sales and tech support ratings. The product works great but when I have to speak to six different reps to make changes to my account, it's frustrating. Anytime I have made changes to my account, it's been painful :/

UPDATE 4-9-2014
We dropped TV service many months ago. FiOS TV is still way behind on HD content for our interests so we have TWC for TV. We currently have 50/25 internet only. Bill runs just under $74 a month. Considering bundling with TWC but 25mbps up is nice.

UPDATE 7-31-2014
Added TV back just before the World Cup in June. Upgraded to 75/75 speeds on 7/20. Just got my first bill it's $15 higher than what I signed up for. Thankfully I still have the order information with the price I agreed to. Waiting on Verizon to sort it out. Billing issues plague Verizon FiOS. Don't get me started on the fact that you cannot order TV service with a cablecard online or a phone rep...

UPDATE 10-12-2014
I've relocated out of state and no longer have Verizon FiOS. Overall, the past 4.5 years were ok. FiOS is still a bit behind on HD content (FS2, Fox Soccer Plus, NBCSN PL Extra Time) for me and billing still struggles to get it right the first time. FiOS is by far the most reliable service I have ever used. I cannot recall a single outage that was the fault of FiOS infrastructure.

member for 12.8 years, 2635 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by fixrman See Profile

• Location: Hatboro,Montgomery,PA
Good "Speed, at times. Poor distant speeds."
Bad "Price increases!!"
Overall "Sneaky billing increases. Do not honor agreements. "

10 October 2014:
In May, I "upgraded" to Verizon Quantum; Verizon had been overbilling me for Internet services, so agreed to upgrade me to Quantum speeds at no charge, $65.99 for the next 12 months. In August, national TV advertisements announced a free upgrade to Speed Match. I have yet to get that upgrade.

Today I open my email to find that Verizon is trying to bill me $72.99 for the "service" This isn't the first time Verizon has engaged in sneaky billing, it is at least the fourth. When I originally signed up for FiOS in 2007, the charge was $39.99 a month. I have been a loyal Verizon internet customer since the early DSL days and have recommended Verizon DSL to may people who have signed up for the service, one even was a Verizon employee who didn't have it!

The prices for FiOS are now beyond ridiculous. With the $72.99 bill I just received, it is almost double the price in just six years. I can no longer tolerate this situation. Comcast can supply me with 105M service for $59.99 per month with no incentives to switch. They previously offered me $29.99 for 12 months and $39.99 for two years. I don't want to hear baloney about "shared connections" and "FiOS is better quality"; Verizon cannot deliver the speeds they promise. I have performed speed tests - real world speed tests, not the joke Verizon has for speed tests, if they even work - many times a day. My last mile speed is indeed fast, but that is only to New Jersey. In California, I go back to the slowest DSL speeds. Apparently Verizon's pathways or nodes are very poor cross country.

I just spent quite some time on a chat (Chat ID 10101487080) with a representative who claimed I could get the new, free router which would give me the faster Speed Match. Turns out that in order to get the "free router", I have to pay an additional $25.00 a month, plus pay for shipping of the new router and sign a two year deal. I don't have a problem with a two year deal, but two years is shorter for Verizon, I imagine. My current "deal" is supposed to be for 12 months and they are already raising my price $7.00 in just five months??

Verizon, what are you playing at? I agreed to service that you provide. I gave you the ability to auto bill me, so you aren't even waiting for money from me. No late payments, but I am "rewarded" with a $7.00 increase in billing for service that I am not even getting. I have had enough. This issue gets fixed today or I will no longer be a Verizon customer. I will also be posting this on Broadband Reports.com and lowering all of my ratings on Verizon FiOS, because of the unethical billing practices. Like I said, this isn't the first time, but it will be the last.

I had some specific instructions for the tech, and she went one better with it. We canceled the first install because of *our* schedule; the tech was finished in 6 hours on this appointment and was very conscientious, placing the battery backup in a great location.

FiOS seems to have it all over the DSL department.

I have to say the order to live was about 7 days, because they would have installed on the original date were it not for our change. I don't know if I would have had the same tech, but I am glad she did it.

Vonage didn't work right off, but it is understandable that the tech wouldn't be allowed to set that up. All I had to do was port forward and I was back on in less than four minutes with Vonage.

Super seamless!

7/13/07 - Still loving FiOS. If you are paying for DSL, especially 3.0/768... dump it for this. I have cancelled VZ phone service, and couldn't be happier with FiOS. Zip,Zoom,Fly!

9/29/07 - FiOS is still it. Now to do something about my VoIP, which is not making it at all. (The orange box people)

11/23/07 - I called FiOS and reported an outage. Not the first I experienced, but this was a bit longer. Called at 08:10 and had a truck show up at 09:20! In one hour and ten minutes I had a service tech. It took him another 20 minutes maybe to change the ONT, and all was well. Bravissimo, FiOS! I changed my tech support rating to a 5 because they deserve it.

07/21/08 - Nothing really new to report, unless no interruptions are new to you. If you read this while on cable - well, why did you?

09/16/08 - Still cruising along at light speed. No problems, just uptime. Get it.

Got FiOS? If you don't have it by now, you are silly.

6/22/09 - No problems still. Price has gone up so I may call and complain about that.

12/05/10 - Still the same rock solid FiOS as was on day one. If you are reading this better than three years later, why haven't you made up your mind yet?

7/27/14 - Should have updated this a while ago. The price kept creeping up for the same service, so I felt I wasn't getting very good value for the money. They upgraded us to the 50m/25m "Quantum" service. The speed is not consistent and is really only a "last mile" speed.

member for 11.7 years, 1694 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

ferdland

@73.39.23.x

Verizon fios

I enjoy having VZFios but when we moved, the area we live in dont have Verizon Fios, so we had to use Comcast who was the only provider in the area

tfrionli
Tom F.

join:2001-06-21
Kings Park, NY

Re: Verizon fios

i'm interested in your comparison between fios and comcast service, can you post a review?
tfrionli

gsuburban

join:2000-02-29
Glendora, CA

Customer Service vs. Online Prices

Every time we have made a service change with Verizon or Fios, the router/gateway has aways beeen at no charge and no monthly charge however, the cost for ISP service is as most others have said, expensive and having the least amount of value per mega bit. We pay $87.99 monthly and got a price increase of $7.00 without any advance notice. Calling them resulted in removing the cost increase for a year to keep us satisfied after telling them "internet isn't getting more costly, it's getting cheaper to offer and more competitive". By the way,you can get the upload speeds changed the same day by visiting your Verizon account, logging in and signing up for some b.s. points/rewards gimmick they have. I did and instantly, my 50/35 mbps changed to 50/50 mbps and according to speedtest.net, the line speed is 58/65 mbps. Not bad but by now we all have it figured out...the "free upload speed change" isn't free, it's $7 more for those who read between the lines at Verizon. Also, Netflix works much better.

Below, this was a most recent post elsewhere regarding the inner working of Fios/Verizon:

Have had Fios for about 2.5 years now. Initially had 15/5 speeds and now have 50/50 mbps speeds. Previously and continuously since Verizon began to offer ISP services in 1998 or so, I have always had Verizon as my ISP. Since the days of dial up, DSL and now Fios, I have never switched to any other ISP so it's now been about 16 years that I have had continuous ISP service with them. That being said, I have no complaints about their internet network and the speeds I am to receive and up until about 2 years ago, received the same with their verizon.net POP/SMTP email. Over the years of increasing speed packages, internet and email speeds had always been the same reliable speed. When I had DSL 1.5, internet and email downloaded at 1.5 and when I had 3.0 and 7.1 speeds, email and internet speeds were equally the same speed. Then, Fios came and with 15.0/5.0 mbps, internet was actually 16.5 mbps down and 6.0 mbps upload as was their email service. I have used outlook express and windows live mail consistently and had the above performance which I have to say was wonderful because their email and internet performed at the "pipe" speed I had with them.

Now comes an outage, in September 2012, labor day weekend, both internet and email went down. I called and confirmed the outage was on their end and was told the internet will be restored that day and email would be restored the next day and the outage was the entire country, USA. Internet was restored about 6 hours later and the next day email was restored but...email would perform any faster than 200 mbps to 1.0 mbps. Since that time, their pop/smtp email system hasn't been the same and even to this day, they say, "email and internet speeds are not going to work the same as the other".

So, you pay extra for a faster speed package but they won't support the speed update with their email service. Why? No one can say but several of the customer service numb heads say "email is a bundled service and not supported in any way" while the majority of the CSR's suggest both should work the same speed and both are supported.

As of this day, Oct 11, 2014, I have 50/50 mbps Fios and their email will not perform at the rated line speeds. The fastest download speed is around 10 mbps while outgoing will leave at around 25 mbps. Not sure that's really what they are trying to sell their customers but that is what they are giving them. So, if you think you are going to use their email service and get blazing fast email also, you will be mistaken and of course, mislead that will happen.

I switched over to gmail using pop/smtp with windows live mail software and the speeds are 50 down and 50 up...most of the time. No problem with Gmail and get this, Gmail is free, has way better spam control and more consistent email but of course, if it fails to work etc., there's really no one to call and dictate to since there's no agreement or charge etc.

How Verizon can allow this to occur is beyond me. They have the ability to be better than any other freebie service out there yet don't and they charge for it.

Re: Customer Service vs. Online Prices

FiOS is losing market share to cable all the time because their prices are out of line. Their business model, as I think I said before, is to overcharge their existing customer base, hope they don't notice and spam the hell out of everyone else and hope they too sign up. They are unethical in their billing practices.

The product for the most part is fine, but their constant price increases get them in trouble very time. We have the most expensive internet in the world if I remember correctly. Also, some of the slowest speeds for an industrialised world leader.

Verizon would do well to lower their prices, appeal to more people and then expand like they were paid to do by the Feds for their FiOS expansion. You won't see that happen though because they wasted all the money and tax incentives they got and have stopped building the fibre network. So they prefer to pay for TV, radio and magazine ad blitzes, bang their existing customer base to pay for it and laugh all the way to the bank. If they stopped sending out their B.S. flyers twice a week (Comcast too) and concentrated on giving a good product as advertised to customers at a fair price, everyone would be happier.

Verizon, get a clue. When someone who has been with you for many years complains, start listening. Stop outsourcing your support. Stop jerking people around when they complain about your onerous billing practices. Fix the issue and move on. If you do that, your reputation will be stellar - like in the old days with MA Bell - and the profits will still be there and probably even more so.

Review by Laszlo See Profile

• Location: Morrisville,Bucks,PA
Good "Speedy and reliable internet"
Bad "Exorbitant pricing, terrible experience with billing when we had TV"
Overall "Great at just internet, bad with TV bundles, price gets higher and higher"

We signed up for FiOS back in September 2006 as soon as it became available in our area. Our original speed was 5/2 for $34.95/mo. We had no issues at all with our service when getting simple internet access.

Several years later we added TV to our plan and had no end of trouble. Verizon seemed incapable of properly billing us, making mistakes on our bill for 6 out of 7 months! It was a horrendous experience calling up customer service monthly to clear up issues. The CSRs would always assure us our complaints would be resolved (and that credit for their mistakes would be issued on our next statement), but when the next bill arrived, it almost always repeated the same billing overcharge _and_ did not refund us as promised. When things were finally resolved, we cut the cord on TV entirely (and never again had a billing issue).

TV was also expensive, at $37 for 15/5 internet, $48 for TV Essentials, $6/mo rental for each STB, and ~$5 tax and Video Franchise Fee (plus around $20/mo from their myriad billing screw-ups and overcharges). From July 2010 until December 2013, our pricing remained at $54.99/mo for 15/5 internet. From January 2014, they jacked the price up 15% to $62.99 with no bump in service. If anything, our streaming at YouTube and Netflix has been degraded lately (all other sites seem unaffected). No doubt Verizon is trying to extract protection money to access their customers, like Comcast managed to do recently.

In 2013 we had to ask for a replacement router because ours was dropping signal. A replacement (an Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. F) was mailed out without issue. However, we would still intermittently have issues with the signal not reaching to all bedrooms, or slowdowns that required a router restart. We eventually bought our own (an Asus RT-N66U) and those problems largely disappeared.

From September 2014, Verizon graciously decided to bump everyone's upload to match their download. However, as current customers we're grandfathered in at 15/15 while new sign-ups are offered 25/25 for the same price. Despite multiple notifications of the activated free upgrade (website/email/direct mail/phone), we've NEVER seen our upload budge. Even during a free 1-month "Quantum 50/50" trial, we never cracked 5mbps, despite our DL speed switching just fine. With this blatant misrepresentation, along with the previous billing screw-ups, I may have to take this up with the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board.

Now in October 2014 our bill has been raised yet again to $69.99/mo. That's 100% more than when we initially signed up, and a 27% jump in just the last 10 months! I channelled some cold rage in my call with the retentions department after that one. The best he could offer was a $5 off "Valued Customer" discount for 12 months, or $10 off with renewed 2-yr agreement (in reality, +$2 or -$3, given their most recent price increase). I see just how valuable a customer I am for being loyal to Verizon for 8 straight years--this is the first time a CSR has ever offered to "discount" our bill when we asked. They know overcongested Comcast is our only alternative, so feel free to milk us more year after year.

____________

Timeline of complaints I submitted to the FCC and BBB regarding the billing debacle:

Nov - Made a call on 11/30/2009 to cancel the Games + Starz Play Pak trial (before the promotion deadline).

Dec - Charged $16 for Games + Starz Play Pak (this amount was never refunded). Tried unsuccessfully to cancel HBO trial online but changes would not save, so called in to cancel both HBO and Starz on Dec 2.

Jan - Charged $3.66 for HBO trial we'd also cancelled in time, $16 again for Games despite their previous assurance it would be removed (refunded only $12.67 of it in Feb), AND $8.99 for a Security/Backup plan that we'd never signed up for or been in a trial period for.

Jan 24 - Called to cancel them, again.

Feb - HBO cancellation again not honored, with $22.59 in new charges. The "Internet Additional Services" from Jan refunded (erroneously called "Adj FiOS TV Equipment").

Feb 12 - CSR told us HBO would be credited on next bill and canceled.

Mar - Refunded $25.65 of HBO charges

Apr - Billed $37 TWICE for FiOS internet service, the second time as an "Internet Additional Service", even though we are enrolled in the Verizon Flex internet/TV bundle.

Apr 9 - Spoke with a CSR who acknowledged the error on April's bill and filed for a refund of $39.22 on May's bill. Asked to drop TV bundle back to just internet service. Told there would be a $179 early termination fee, but after consulting with a supervisor, said it would be waived. She said the fee would most likely not show up at all, but would review our bill to verify that or refund the fee if charged. At this point appears resolved after 2 hours 46 minutes spent on the phone with Verizon Customer service, and several hours more trying to decipher obfuscated & error-riddled bills.

____________

And, if you hadn't guessed, the $179 ETF _did_ show up on our next bill, though that was quickly resolved by calling back the senior supervisor.

To top it all off, when we had to return the set-top boxes, Verizon only sent us one return shipping box (we had 2 STBs). We gave the other one away on Craigslist rather than deal with Verizon customer service for one more minute. Needless to say, we have stayed far away from TV bundles ever since.

Comments:
fixrman

Verizon nightmares

Your experience rivals mine. I came very close to dumping Verizon yesterday. I have been with them for 14 years and I am tired of them jerking me around. Their price has nearly doubled in 7 years for internet only. Now I am glad to see that bundling only makes it worse, giving them two or three more ways to bill abusively.

Maybe if VZ lowered their prices, they'd attract more customers and not have to stick it to their existing customers. I do not feel valued, especially when in a chat, very early on, the agent promptly offered the link to cancellation. What? You don't care?

The next time they try a rate increase I won't even call to waste another hour plus on the phone, I will just have Comcast come out and make the switch, then VZ can start the butt kissing to get me back if they so desire. If they hadn't reversed the new charge and agreed to send me an updated modem at no charge, no rental - they'd have lost my business for at least two years and it would have taken a lot to get me to go back.

Why does it always require a threat to leave to get action?

gsuburban

join:2000-02-29
Glendora, CA

Re: Verizon nightmares

That's how the monopoly system works. They were outlawed in the 1980's but that didn't last long and now, with Fios, guess what? The PUC (public utilities commission) rules and regulations are not the same with Fiber as compared to Copper. That's one reason why Fios is being pushed so hard and also why it's overpriced or unregulated. As much as I love Fios speed, it's extremely over priced as is their TV and Telephone. No bundle equals less headaches but it's more expensive in the long run. Shouldn't be that way, it should be less when subscribing to less services. Get this, if I want to change my speed package to the next slower speeds they offer, it's the same price !

Re: Verizon nightmares

I wish I could argue with you and tell you that you are wrong, but I can't. You are 100% right. Lower speed is the same price? I think I'd be bugging the FCC on that one.

Review by fbruno See Profile

• Location: Berwyn,Chester,PA
Good "It works as advertised."
Bad "Was quoted a lower price but charged higher rate. Billing support is terrible."
Overall "Better and more reliable than Comcast. Works during extended power outages."

·VOIPO
-----------------------Update 10/5/14---------------------------------------
Still using FiOS for Internet connectivity. Currently getting 25/15 service for $40 as part of a double play bundle including video. Scheduled for a free bump up to symmetrical 25/25. Service has been rock solid with no perceived bandwidth limitations during peek times. During electrical power outages, my large UPS device, whole house generator, and fiber to the home topology means that we never loose service. My neighbors with generators and Comcast can't expect such uninterrupted service.

My 24 month price guarantee is due to expire next month and I am not under contract, thus a price increase is on the horizon. I hesitate to enter into a contract with Verizon because it goes against my better judgement to give them the upper hand. Verizon just added a $3.48 regional sports fee and regularly sneaks in stealth price increases by shifting channels to higher tiers. Plus, I resent paying $11.99 to rent their STB.

One option is to drop video service because our family increasingly streams Netflix and Amazon Prime on a Roku device. Naturally, dropping video service will result in an increased monthly price for data only service.

-------------------------Update 11/3/08 -------------------------------------
Relocated to suburban Philly. Continued to use FiOS. Not as fast or stable here as it was in suburban NY. Got charged almost double the quoted rate during sales call. That rep seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. Thus, I feel cheated. Link is slow during peak times and there is some jitter of VoIP at times even with QOS on a Cisco 1800 platform, (with and without the Actiontec)

------------------------- Original comments -------------------------------

I decided to get FiOS with the primary purpose of getting rid of Cablevision Optimum Online. A secondary objective was to provide a reliable circuit for VoIP, especially during a power outage, (I have a huge UPS with extra batteries that can power the ONT for 36 hours).

The online ordering was easy. The installer showed up on the correct day at the correct time - not a hitch in the process. He spent about two hours completing the install using the 1" plywood board I installed in the electrical closet. He was happy about that!

Since then the circuit has been rock solid and fast. I believe it is set for 10/2, and I am getting just about that throughput.

I ditched the Actiontec for a Cisco 1811, and changed from the coax port to the Ethernet port on the ONT.

So far. I am a happy camper.

Comments:

Review by real_goose See Profile

• Location: Apollo Beach,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Sucks less than alternatives"
Bad "Painful install - abysmal billing - poor support"
Overall "FiOS works but I dread dealing with anyone from Verizon"

·callwithus
3/31/12 Original Review

New house had option of Brighthouse or FIOS. FIOS had a better reputation and so far it's working out. I'm glad I studied the FAQ here, but I was still not prepared to understand all the install issues I would encounter. Billing and tech support have both been underwhelming.

I wanted the installer to install the ONT at the house NIB, but he said he could not install the power in the laundry room or the attic overhead. Even though he told me it wouldn't work, I insisted he run Cat5 for Internet from the ONT. The network interface location where the coax and Cat5 come out would mean Verizon would have to put the battery unit on a kitchen wall.

The ONT is on my separate garage and then both coax and Cat5 runs are direct buries underground to the network interface on my house. The cable run is about 100 feet from the ONT to the splitter in the wiring closet and then more than 150 feet back to the TV in the room over that garage. All wiring is a home run back to the structured wiring enclosure in the MBR closet.

I have been unable to reliably watch local HD channels via FIOS QAM on the TV over the garage. The channels are there, but the signal level is too low for most of them to stay locked in. The SD signals found on totally random channel numbers are solid.

I tried a chat with Verizon support which was an exercise in frustration. The first tech denied that FIOS provided signals over QAM. He sent me to sales who sent me back to a second support tech who told me Verizon will not take trouble reports for QAM signals and would not support QAM in any way.

My next trip down, I will take advice I got in a forum.that I can run my own coax to the ONT and split it there.. The run from the house to garage loft is very close to the ONT and I can use the existing coax or at least fish new coax along the same path.

My other alternative for the over the garage TV is to live without the Verizon feed and just use over the air HD. I'm less than 10 miles from the local towers in Riverview and can receive everything with trivial antennas. I will lose 1 SD station I want that is broadcast far north of us but carried on Verizon.

The installer had never installed a cablecard and was afraid of the TiVo. I had already set up the TiVo for my zip code and downloaded the preliminary data. I walked through the menus until he found the cablecard number he needed to enter. The whole process was much easier than my Comcast experience.

The other attractive thing about FIOS is we are not living full time in Florida so we can suspend and reactivate the account for no fees in Florida. They tell me I have to pay for a minimum 3 months every year. My account has been shutdown, but they didn't manage to suspend billing. After I got a bill I called and was promised it would be corrected, but so far it has not. The total time on the call was about 1 hour because the CSR had to get management approval for every step since it was over $50.

12/9/12 Update

FiOS is fine but I find Verizon very difficult to work with for billing or support. I lowered my tech support rating after a very bad experience.

Internet is still fine but I don't use Verizon DNS.

Weak TV in loft over the garage is now fixed after multi-day process to get a support call. I moved the FiOS box out there and could not get several channels. It took more than 5 calls over 2 days to get someone scheduled. Each call took more than 1 hour and always involved more than 2 transfers. Support is even more painful than was the install. The tech installed an amplifier that turned out to be defective and led to another comedy of errors and false claims about what must be wrong with my wiring. A different amplifier worked and now I get all the channels.

I wanted a second cable card for another TiVo, but I balked at paying for shipping. The sales agent told me I could drive to a Verizon store, but he told me the closest was south of Sarasota. Later I talked to a FiOS sales rep in the local mall in Brandon and he told me there was a Verizon store in the strip center across the street. I went in and got my new CableCard within 30 minutes after they entered my order and had to wait for it to 'take' in the system.

I called to get billing corrected and got almost no where. The first time I got about half the overcharges refunded, but I was informed the rep who told me there was no charge for the suspend was wrong. It cost about $20 to suspend and nothing to restart. Each call was very long as the person on the other end puzzled over the billing details. I was promised a manager would contact me within a day, but that never happened.

Finally in desperation I was ready to file a complaint with the BBB, but my wife convinced me to just forget about it. The amount is small so the effort is probably not worth it, but I remain irritated.

The other thing I notice that seems to make customer service hard for me is that I not have a Verizon phone number of any sort either cell or wired. Even though I had my account number they insisted on looking up my account via phone number and then told me they had to use other means to 'find' me. Yes I have a registered phone number with them, but they can't seem to use it unless it is a Verizon number.

10/4/2014

I just accepted my first 2 year contract for FiOS, previously I had been month to month. I seriously considered switching to Bright House, but ultimately I decided to stay. My plan was to switch to a 6 month low ball plan from BH and then be able to go back to FiOS as a new user. With BH each TiVo would need a tuning adapter and most channels are copy protected unlike FiOS.

As I compared prices, it became obvious that neither duopoly alternative is competing on price. I would prefer to be paying a fair price for Internet only, but both price it so some sort of TV needs to be added to the bundle.

member for 13.5 years, 2516 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

chechi

@173.63.163.x

verizon bundle

When I received my first bill from verizon, I noticed that they were other fees that they never mentioned before when I was asking for prices and information. I had been paying over 230 dol since I got the service. It's been 2 months already. On the top they are charging me for 4 tv services instead of 3 that I always have. I wish I could change the service I'm really upset. .

Review by asalamon See Profile

• Location: Bethesda,Montgomery,MD
Good "Great Sales Rep"
Bad "Bad Service - Resulting from poor install"
Overall "Run away... "

Had service for 90 days. Had SNR issues on primary STB. VZ wanted to charge a fee for truck roll if problem was not their fault. Hard to believe it could have been anything else but their problem as we recently moved in. As of yesterday Xfinity X1 is in and works great!!!