Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1940 reviews (1455 good) (145 bad)

Review by ocjosh See Profile

• Location: Santa Fe Springs,Los Angeles,CA
Good "My replacement of Clearwire due to Sprint's soon to kill it in an year or two"
Bad "super slow wifi G router, slow connections to overseas, Price not cheap, monopoly in the zone, no DSL replacement at all"
Overall "I was going to order TWC but their upload and modem fee... never mind."

10/24/2013 ordered 11/29/2013 installation done

I was very happy with clearwire home service ($60 take two plan, that's $30 for my line) with rooftop antenna, not till sprint took over-- slower (6-7 Mbps from original 15 Mbps+) and lack of maintaining the network (network frozen several time after merge with Sprint). New clearwire boss put a speed limits on all online video streaming that also apply to my clear 4G service. They are lacking of promises to upgrade or maintain the exist Clear customers. I have to look outside the box before my limited choices price goes up in my zone (Los Angeles market). My zone there is no copper service, so DSL Extreme or Sonic Fusion is not available that I verified with Nick from DSL extreme. That leaves me with TWC or FIOS left, but TWC's 50Mbps won't upgrade to 100 Mbps in my market anytime soon, plus, with TWC 1 Mbps upload and modem fee, forget it. Those $69 plus modem fee and slow upload, I passed TWC since I have Verizon FIOS in the area.

So I looked into Verizon FIOS instead. $89 first year $99 second, select TV, 50/35 Mbps and Digital voice to qualify the $300 card, $10 work discount, $12 HD STB fee, $99 upgrade-able to wifi N modem (I didn't go with it). But first bill after tax is $110+ that has free installation, free activation. Their billing sucks, the tax is near $8 only but $89+tax$8+HD STB$12-corp discount$10=$110?? They just won't honor their deal of $89 from their billing. Be aware of that.

I don't watch TV at all due to Verizon's great and competitive Select Pack and triple-play is lower than internet only plan after promotion, so I returned the box after a week. That took me a while to return it that I have to talk to retention for 2 days to work this out. I don't need their voice either because I used my VOIP. I ordered triple play is due to work discount and $300 as well as their 50/35 alone costs more than triple play with discounts.

I moved from Asia where internet is a lot cheaper and faster, so my review is ummm....pricy for my speed and slow global network. Verizon's connect is so bad connected to overseas. Only their domestic connection is upto claimed speed.

02/10/2014

Verizon hasn't been able to provide the right bills so far and 3 months in a row. They haven't honored even $89.99 first year yet, no corp discount, only partially discount $10 from full price. I haven't seen the $300 gift card or Bank of America promotion.

Call billing ending up with a rep with attitudes. Wow, this is monopoly business, take it or leave it style. Buyers be aware. Those the rep on the phone claimed fixed the issue, but this is the third month I have to call in for closer amount. They still didn't honor $89.99 first year yet.

The speed to overseas is still s-l-o-w... Only daytime (I am away to work) the connection is better than evening to night. But decent domestic connections besides Netflix or Viki that I cancelled Netflix in the end.

sometime around worldcup 2014

We increased to 75/35 speed with higher charge to bundle Prime HD package for World cup, then got upgraded to 75/75 from Verizon weeks after. YouTube is stuck evening to night time as always.

Speed to local Los Angeles servers not always can reach the advertised speed, not to mention out of town speed, just half or less. Although one of LA server can deliver 10% over than 75/75 to 84/90 kind of speed, but it's still from time to time.

The issues were pretty bad when worked from home day time. Call reps and told a lot of non sense such as third party hardware not be able to reach the advertise speed or if we were using smartphone or it has to be wired lines reboot or reset so many times.

I only do one smart TV or one desktop at one time. They just can't deliver the speed.

Verizon charged more than Google Fiber's 1G speed but can't deliver quality network, not even local, state cities or domestic major cities at advertised speed. Shame on Verizon, charged us premiums with lousy network but claim fiber. They should say fiber service on old and narrow network who can't even run YouTube clips well so many times so far. How is that, Verizon?

Comments:

ITALIAN926

?

sucky select pack? You chose it didnt you? There are 3 other tiers, prime extreme and ultimate. To go to prime is just $10 a month difference.
ocjosh

join:2013-03-19
united state

Re: ?

Let me modify it to Verizon's great and competitive Select Pack for the world.
Maybe you didn't read well why select triple play sucks. I don't need TV or phone, but their triple play is cheaper than internet alone after discounts they put up. That's make it sucky! You have to pay for everything you don't need because it's monopolized market, no much cheaper choice here.

@bhn.net

Re: ?

So you dont watch TV but complain about the TV package? U know u can just return the HD box if ur not using it and that will be -$12 on ur bill. Want the basic chs and have a digital ready TV U still get that, but since u just wanted the internet I suspect u watch everything online like a lot of ppl. U dont need there voice either you say "$69.99/mo
for 1 yr. plus taxes, fees & equip. charges. Does not include sports channels. Offer & pricing details" right on there site. I cant get them so I cant see any other prices (says not aval at my address) BUT im sure data alone cant cost anymore then that.
ocjosh

join:2013-03-19
united state

Re: ?

triple play: $89-corp discount $10-Gift card$300/24-bank of america$100/24=$62.34/month then $72.34 2nd year
double play: $89-corp discount $5=$85/month and $95 2nd year
FIOS internet only: $59=$59/month and $79 2nd year

From above list for speed , triple play seems to be cheaper than internet only plan that I might get more and actually pay less 2nd year. I calculated this way as a regular consumer to get the most out of my pocket. I lived as one of cut-cord folks for years. If the internet only price is not so steep, I would have avoided the doubts.

Review by aztr0 See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Internet is fast, TV is speedy and filled with features."
Bad "Expensive"
Overall "This is a good service, and Verizon has really made an effort to "get with the times" in terms of TV and internet."

Let me preface this by saying that I have been a Verizon hater. I still am not fond of them. What they have done to my family few years back when they pretty much made me pay for crappy DSL that disconnected every 5 seconds (tech service calls did not help) and a land line that didn't work, but they wanted me to pay $100 for a tech to come out to fix it. They won't even come look at it unless my family paid that tech fee up front. So now you may ask. Why am I doing business with them now? Honestly, I have no other reason other than to try something different. I have been a loyal Optimum customer for many many years. I have no problem with them, but I felt that it has been many years, and that I was moving. I'll give Verizon a shot one more time.

Onto the ordering process. It was easy. I had a question and needed an answer from a representative. I decided to use Live Chat and the representative stayed with me and held my hand through the ordering process, even though I didn't need it. But she did give me a $5 discount off my bill for the duration of my 2 year contract for my 25/25 double play.

When the install day came, Verizon was pretty much on schedule. I had a request for the tech to not drill any holes in my house and use the pre-existing coxial wiring. The FiOS box was installed at my garage level and kept out of sight. No one would even know it exists, its so well hidden and neatly placed. No holes were drilled and the tech had everything set up nicely. He even helped me zip tie some of the loose coxial wires I had outside my house. He set me up with one of those Actiontec modem/routers. It probably isn't the latest hardware they got, but it works fine.

When I finally got a chance to test the internet, the speed was as advertised. The TV was the service where I felt I seriously upgraded. If anyone knows Optimum, they have been using these horrible Samsung boxes that are slow and laggy. Not to mention, the Optimum guide isn't necessarily pleasing to look at as well. It looks old, and as much as they have tried to update their software, it just didn't work. But one positive about Optimum is their app. I can watch all the channels I paid for on their app. With the Verizon app, it is limited to only a selection. That is where Verizon falls short. Another issue I have with Verizon is the router page. When I try to log in and key in the login information, it never registers the keys I hit. I have to type my password in Notepad, copy paste and then delete a couple extra letters the router page decide to automatically tack on in the end. It is weird, I've tried different browsers (IE, Chrome, Firefox) and they all yielded the same results.

So to sum it up:

Good: Ordering was smooth, install was great, the TV service is an upgrade from what Optimum was.

Bad: Expensive. Even with my Verizon Connections discount and the other discounts. It still is pretty expensive. Also, I have had this service since October 2014 and there has been two instances where I have experienced downtime of 5-10 minutes. I had to disconnect the power a couple times and finally it picked up signal again.

At this point, I'm not sure if I will stay with Verizon. There are some factors that will contribute to that decision. How Optimum is doing. How the tech service of Verizon will be like. And how they will try to keep me in two years. We shall see.

Comments:
Light Guy

join:2006-05-12
Somerville, NJ

Router Password

As far as the password entry in the router, it is a security feature designed to hide the # of characters in your password from anyone who might be watching.
Just ignore the extra dots and type in your full password and it will work fine.

Review by dennismurphy See Profile

• Location: Parsippany,Morris,NJ
Good "Fast as hell, top-notch TV and voice quality"
Bad "Nada"
Overall "Still thrilled."

UPDATE: December 2014:
My 75/35 package is now 75/75, routinely overprovisioned to 85/85. FiOS STB's are nearly perfect - and the phone service works. Nearly as perfect a triple play as is possible!

UPDATE: OCTOBER 2013:

Still thrilled with FiOS. Upgraded my Internet package to 75/35 service, dropped one of my phone lines, and I'm still very happy with it. Rock on.

------
I moved into a new home this past July (2011) and decided it was time to ride the light -- welcome to Verizon FiOS.

After some initial SNAFUs regarding my order and phone service (they lost my old phone number in the process), the service is up, running, and fantastic.

I have the 25/25mbit package, along with 2 FiOS Digital Voice phone lines and FiOS TV service.

Excellent quality all around! The Internet service clocks in consistently at 30mbit down/25mbit up (yes, over my rated speed!), and the voice product is excellent. I'm probably least happy with FiOS TV, but that doesn't mean I'm unhappy, just that I've been spoiled by a bakers' dozen years with DirecTV. I get occasional picture glitches which have been attributed to a bug in the set-top box firmware. Hopefully the VZ folks fix that soon.

I did manage to get in on the "Free Multi-Room DVR for Life" promotion, as well as a free SD set-top box. So, even with 3 DVRs and two additional STB's in the house, and a second phone line, I'm still saving $90/month over what I was paying for Optimum Online, Optimum Voice + DirecTV. I'm happy to have more than $1,000 extra in my pocket every year.

Overall, I miss my DirecTV for television, but I'm coping with FiOS TV (I miss it, but I'd miss the $1,000 more!) The rest, however (Internet and Phone) are absolutely top notch!

Good stuff - the billing is convoluted, and you have to stay on top of it, but once it 'settles in', everything is good.

member for 12 years, 5370 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by grobinette See Profile

• Location: Springfield,Fairfax,VA
Good "Insanely Fast Internet and Dynamite Audio and Video"
Bad "Did not like the option offered for where the power supply was installed"
Overall "Good value for the money"

So I dropped my DSL provider that I have had for five years and switched. The install period would have been as short as 10 days but because I wanted the FIOS TV service and my availability to be off from work, the install period had to be extended.

30Mbps down 5 Mbps up is insanely fast and I am meeting or surpassing the download speeds and just under the advertised speeds - 31100 down and 4599 up with Speakeasy's WDC test. I had not run a lot of speed tests for a while but these are fun.

The installer did not want to put the power supply in a location in the laundry room where it would have been completely out of the way. This is a minor issue but bothersome because a different installer did take the time to locate the power supply in the same area I had initially chosen in a neighbor’s house. Admittedly, putting the power supply in my preferred location would have taken way more time and involved a lot of blind fishing through a chase from the outside, but there is an obvious difference between what their installers will do for you.

Both inside and outside cabling was done neatly but inside cabling is exposed.

Regardless, both installers did a neat job, wore shoe covers when they went outside and came back in, cleaned up most of their debris from the installation and were courteous and friendly. I did get two installers, one who was familiar with the internet portion and one who did the television portion.

Other things the site asks for:

Home equipment is the Actiontec wireless router.

The router is configured nicely out of the box, because it forces you to change the default user name and password on initial access and has some fairly decent default security settings for the wireless.

DHCP Dynamic IP

There is no need to install the Verizon supplied software beyond the initial setting up your account process. To see how it would go - I opted to use their configuring software for Outlook Express and was given an unpleasant surprise of having additional software downloaded and installed that I was not informed of or given the ability to opt out. That was not really necessary and not a good practice in my opinion. They also offer optimizer software to reset your RWIN for the higher speeds, but it is also not necessary as you can do the same with DrTCP.

Overall a fairly good experience.

So, I've had Verizon for a little over a year now and things are going well. I did have one instance where I lost all connectivity (Phone TV Internet) for 4 days. The coordination between customer service and getting a service call was atrocious. Many promises were made but it took from Friday until Tuesday afternoon to get service back. After 3 hours of diagnostics and head scratching on my ONT the tech discovered that it was self inflicted by another Verizon tech, who during a separate install moved my connection because it was in the way and did not put it back right.

My Actiontec router lasted a whopping 14 months and then it got the LAN jitters. All LAN lights flickering like everything on the network was talking to it but no action.

Wireless and the TV portion of the service survived and to Verizon's credit they dropped a replacement router on my doorstep the next morning. It was configured for PPPoE but a phone call, a hard reset and a release of the IP address fixed that.

So, I am still pleased with the overall triple play bundle except that they have dropped the 30/5 package I have. So far they have not bugged me about it and I am still running at that speed. A few minor price increases in the STB and a service here and there. To put them in perspective comparing them to the increased cost of gasoline, it's been minor.

Working on my third router since I've had the service. First one lasted 14 months as stated above. This one lasted less than 10 months and the transformer went bad. I am disappointed that Verizon has partnered up with a company that cannot seem to provide decent quality equipment for them. If you have a wireless router I recommend keeping it around to fill the gap when your Verizon provided equipment craps out on you.

I had to switch my plan because I added a new HD STB and Verizon suggested that I could save some money due to the fact that I was out of plan. I went with the 25/15 internet service and took the HD Extreme package which added a bunch of HD channels that for the most part the better half would be interested in. My original download speeds had been sliding down to about 28MB download so it isn't much of a cutback.

For some reason Verizon bumped up my 25/15 service to 30/25 and maintained the price. Whatever, I'll take it.

3/12 - Working on my second renewal. I officially had to go to the 25/25 plan although I was already getting those speeds. Rebundled with digital voice because they were forcing me off of a legacy messge rate phone service and updated the HD plan to the current HD extreme to get a better discount. Verizon internet service has been great. TV service still has great picture and audio but I am not pleased with their lack of new HD channels or their bundling pricing tactics.

Capacity test statistics
------------------------
Download capacity: 25978112 bps
Download packets per second: 3247
Upload capacity: 23319880 bps
Upload packets per second: 2914
Quality of service: 98 %
Packet size: 1000 Bytes

Savings with the additional box and extra channels is about $15 per month. Still loving the service and if they will work with you on a plan that saves you a few bucks a month and give you more offerings with minimal change in internet speeds that's okay by me.

So everything seems to be going okay. I don't miss the HD channels they removed and don't watch the stupid channels they added. I do like the beefed up VOD selections on the premium channels. It makes paying for the premium channels worth it. For some unknown reason they upped my speed to 30 / 25 which puts me back to my original download more or less with a boatload more upload speed.
I suppose they discovered some surplus download and decided to share it.

So they system is bugging me again and all I can say is that I have dropped all the premium channels and the outrageous inside line maintenance cost on the phone to save some money. They want way too much for the premium channels but don't offer enough in HD to make it worth the expense. Switched to using Netflix and Vudu for movies and get better quality at a lower price. Verizon needs to pick it up and start pumping out more quality selections in HD.

»www.speedtest.net/result/3970250061.png

member for 13.9 years, 8257 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Max Greene See Profile

• Location: Bayonne,Hudson,NJ
Good "HOLY COW!!! Its amazing!!"
Bad "Customer service is nonexistant"
Overall "Rock solid speeds, excellent installers!"

·Boost Mobile
OK, I moved to NJ after suffering with Time Warner for years living in NYC. When I 1st moved here I went with Cablevision and it was a horrible 2 months with inconsistent speeds the whole time. The only reason I didnt go with FIOS 1st was the price but after 2 months of CV support trying their best to keep me as a customer I went over to FIOS.

I signed up online and opted for TV and 25/15 internet with a 1yr contract and 2 yr price guarantee. I signed up on a Thursday and was offered a Saturday install, 2 days later!!! I couldn't be home Saturday so opted for Monday 8am. I got a call on Friday confirming and giving me the basic lowdown on what I needed to do. Nothing major just make sure they can get to the computer, and common sense stuff.

The installers were prompt and started work immediately and worked straight through till lunch. They installed everything very neatly using existing wires and then took the time to show me the basics with the TV, the internet is self explanatory but they did make me set up an email acct.I was given an Actiontec MI424-WIR Rev E connected with coax.

I haven't been this happy with an ISP since the days of 1000000 dial up companies to choose from and I could pick a good provider. Rock solid 25/20 speeds, thats right Im paying for 25/15 and I get 20 up all the time. I cant find anything bad to say about it and Im so used to complaining with TWC and CV that Ive looked for every reason. I used to test my speeds all the time and get angry now I do it with a smile just to see how solid this service is. It could be a bit cheaper but to be honest even thats hard to complain about.

UPDATE: Nothing has changed except I now get 25/25 service, rock solid. My only gripe is that the CS dept are idiots. I want nothing more than to give them more $$ every month by switching to the 35/35 and Ultimate HD package and they wont let me do it without a new contract. So Ill stick with what I have and they can get $20 less a month from me.

UPDATE 11/20/2010 : All is still well except one thing and I might end up canceling and going back to CV for service. I want to change my plan to the 35/35 and Ultimate HD package and they insist I need to sign another contract which I will never do. All I want to do is give them $20 more a month and they insist on being difficult. If push comes to shove Ill leave, but what kind of morons do business this way?

UPDATE: 12/24 Still good internet service, TV is OK with DVR a constant issue. SUPPORT IS USELESS ESPECIALLY THE DIRECT SUPPORT ON THIS SITE.

UPDATE 4/1/2012 - Moved and had the option to stay with CV or come back to FIOS, and to be honest Im happy I am back. CV was just not nearly as good as FIOS, the connection quality is leaps and bounds above CV. The reason for the low customer svc scores were the inability to get around putting a social sec # in online or faxing a bunch of junk to them when we had an account prior and maintain a VZW acct for 10 yrs.The installers were top notch union guys who did a great job, and were apologetic over a very tiny pile of dust they left behind from drilling a hole which I found amusing since CV kind of left a mess in my last install.

Comments:
Nugz
join:2012-03-16
Ogden, UT

FIOS

You don't know what you got till it's gone, at least you can get that service..

2 years contract? wow I'd sign a 10 year contract or more if I could get Fiber ran to my home, a town north of me is offering FTTH for $3,000 for just the lines and then you have to pick from 5 providers. Same prices as the cable company per month.

I don't know man, I think anyone with FIOS that don't have a monthly cap and can get it should feel lucky in it's own..

Peace..
Max Greene

join:2000-12-22
Bayonne, NJ

Re: FIOS

LOL Aint that the truth. Im back with FIOS as of today.

Review by FDM80 See Profile

• Location: Silver Spring,Montgomery,MD
Good "Very Reliable"
Bad "Price has increased 75% since original installation."
Overall "Acceptable service but has been uncompetitive on price over the last few years."

15/15 @ $70 per month.

The service in and of itself is fine. The issue is the cost for what really amounts to the same old service continues to climb.

member for 13.4 years, 4733 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Cholofrances

@216.223.27.x

1 recommendation

Internet is slow at night

While I am playing video games at night and trying to do my work I get a really high ping and afterwards I lag

Boss Playa

@72.185.175.x

Re: Internet is slow at night

They have a deal going in florida right now 50/25 and cable with over 250 channels and HBO or Showtime for 70 after taxes

Review by sburkhardt See Profile

• Location: Huntington Beach,Orange,CA
Good "Ordering and installation were smooth - BUT!!!!!!"
Bad "Outdated equipment in building means FIOS Lite and SLOW speeds - Verizon lies about their rates"
Overall "They are being fired in one week. "

Ordered the highest TV package and wanted high speed internet. Getting the TV was not a problem but caps in my building are 30/5 on the internet. Apparently Verizon does not want to upgrade their cabinets. I have a coax and copper drop into the unit. Verizon utilized both. I have TV coming in through the coax (attached to their router which provides internet to the boxes) and internet through an ADSL modem attached to the copper. Tee ADSL modem then attaches to their router to supply internet to the boxes as well as supply the routing for the data. This explains their cap of 30/5 do to the use of the old copper. I do not understand why they could not send everything through the coax with higher throughput? Their competition, Time Warner, is now offering 300/20 service to my unit through the coax. The drawback is dealing with Time Warner and FiOS channel packages are better. I decided to go with the better TV worse data trade-off now, but with a 30/5 cap, i am still not sure I made the right decision. I was used to 75 down with Cox before I moved.

Install process went ok but took almost 4.5 hours. They had problems with syncing and activation on their end. It took two techs and quite a bit of time for them to get it all working. In the end everything worked. The installer was courteous and apologetic. FiOS also contacted me to rate the installation and make sure everything was working. If not I could contact the installer directly for resolution... a nice touch! Luckily everything functions as intended.

I stressed to Verizon sales that they REALLY NEED to address the service caps on my building. I would like to stick with them but the jury is still out in terms of which i can live without... higher speed or more channels/HD/Etc. I ended up paying a bit more per month not to be roped into a contract so I will not be penalized for dropping them... but will still be out the $70 or so in installation/activation fees. I don't think Verizon realizes that their competition is really pulling away in terms of speed! I thought FIOS was supposed to be fast... I think they need to rebrand this FiOS lite.

UPDATE (12-3-14):

After receiving my first bill I almost fainted. I fully expected to see below the line fees but they totaled more than $20 worth not including the taxes. In addition to the made up fees, i also was paying over $35 in equipment (2 boxes) and DVR charges. To top it all off the package was $20 higher than what they quoted on the phone originally. Of course Verizon now suffers severe amnesia regarding any of the previous conversation. Their total monthly charges are over $200 for their ultimate TV and 30/5 internet.

Unfortunately swallowed my pride and went crawling back to my only other duopoly choice TW and signed up for their preferred TV/phone/300mbps package which will come out to $170 per month with the taxes, equipment (including the need to rent their modem) and the estimated below the line fees. Hmmm... no real difference in channel line ups, added phone which I don't need (but that is a cheaper package than without) and get internet that is 10x faster (at least in marketed speed) than Verizon. All this through the same Coax that Verizon is currently utilizing.

The install is in a little over a week. I will let everyone know how it goes. The good news is I had to pay the first month in advance so at least I know I will not be overly shocked.

This information is not opinion... just the way it is. It just proves that in the Huntington Beach market there really is just no true competition. At least one of the carriers has some motivation to continue to ratchet up their data speeds (and charge the same rate that Verizon charges for 30/5).

Comments:

VashTS

@65.35.159.x

It Happens

Every building is different, if they are using ADSL for internet they either don't have the rights to use the coax, owner of the building wont let them run fiber to every unit, or its just to much of a pain or impossible to run fiber to every unit. 75 on cables not what its cracked up to be. I have it and I don't get the full download speeds, not just on speed test but using Usenet or FTP that can go 100 or faster! When I had Fios I got the full 75 down. Loved it! Wish I could get it again.
sburkhardt

join:2003-11-05
Indianapolis, IN

Re: It Happens

Not arguing the fact that they cannot run the fiber... my point is that they are utilizing BOTH the twisted pair copper AND the coax. There is no reason they couldn't run the data through the coax... they just choose not to. The coax is more than capable of handling the speeds. In fact since they are utilizing both the copper and the coax, i cannot have a second provider as there is only one drop of each into the unit... therefore i couldn't choose one provider for TV and the other for data.

@65.35.159.x

Re: It Happens

They cant use the coax. Any coax running in the building is not theirs. Only the coax in your apt is "yours" all the lines leading up to your apt belongs to who ever ran them. Yupp is wrong and ITIALIAN926 is right. Many apts get fiber ran into the apt right to an ONT not an MDU. Even though MDUs come in different flavors, new buildings have eithernet and or coax for MDUs. Older ones get VDSL. Not a bad option just as long as the phone wire is in good shape.
OpTiC
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA
·T-Mobile US
·Charter
Get rid of the TWC modem and buy your own modem you will save 5.99. It would be a dual modem set up. You current modem has Internet disable and use another modem which is compatible like the Motorola SB 6183. Verizon Fios needs to lower their pricing. I also have Verizon Fios as a option up to 500/500 but I would pay for that if it's under $150. Once Comcast takes over TWC I would be with Verizon Fios for internet and phone. Comcast for only TV.

Re: It Happens

Comcast for TV over FioS? Thats funny.
OpTiC
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA
·T-Mobile US
·Charter

Re: It Happens

I rather have that because Comcast do have Jade and Verizon has the e Version of it. I don't want that because my whole family likes to watch that channel. Here is a wiki article about it. Never mind I just found out that Verizon just got it. I might reconsider Verizon Fios TV. If Verizon has Tivo On Demand just like Comcast I will get Verizon Fios.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jadeworld_%28USA%29

Yuup

@75.80.242.x
Verizon doesn't run fiber to every apartment anyway, Their MDU Fios is just like a standard cable company. sburkhardt has a a point, they need to rebrand it to Fios lite when it comes to complexes.

Re: It Happens

Theres plenty of complexes that get fiber all the way to the prem.

Review by nasadude See Profile

• Location: Rockville,Montgomery,MD
Good "speeds improved to be symmetric; was 50/25, now 50/50 but get closer to 60/60"
Bad "still not cheap but paying less because we dropped to lowest TV tier, no movies"
Overall "pretty much bulletproof except for one brief period"

since last review, dropped from having all movie channels to lowest TV tier, cost went from $209/mo to 102/mo. Catalyst for change (aside from realizing movies channels, HBO etc., weren't worth the money) was new "sports fee" of $2.xx that showed up on bill; when that happened we dropped to tier without sports.

when change was made went from 25/10 speed to 50/25 speed (a few bucks more), now speeds are symmetrical at 50/50; speed test consistently shows closer to 60/60.

Still haven't had any significant issues (except one brief period) since FIOS was installed.

member for 13.2 years, 4375 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by aquacalc See Profile

• Location: Hoboken,Hudson,NJ
Good "didn't have a disruption in service since day 1 (almost 24 months now)"
Bad "customer service and technical support are nearly useless"
Overall "quality of service is better than Cablevision"

All in all for the past two years the Verizon FIOS internet service was excellent.

That said, a few months ago, I had decided to connect my own router (ZyXel USG200) directly to LAN port on the Verizon FIOS panel, in order to bypass Verizon MI424WR router. Verizon support personnel was ineffective to say the least -- I went through at least six technicians (and at least as many customer service representatives, including the Verizon retention department).

Finally, I got to one very good and very bright guy who was able to activate my LAN port on the FIOS panel within ~15 minutes.

member for 42 days, 46 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

VZKid

@108.28.109.x

Moca to Ethernet

That ONT port is only supposed to be changed for internet tiers of 150mbps or more which is why you were unable to get anyone to help you. Sounds like someone went against Verizon policy and switched you from Moca to Ethernet.

aquacalc
join:2014-11-08
Hoboken, NJ

Re: Moca to Ethernet

Good to know -- Thank you!

Review by serge87 See Profile

Good "When it works(rarely more recently), it works great"
Bad "Premium price, data caps exist, routing is unfinished"
Overall "incompetent peering practices, VPN use necessary to avoid sh*t tier routing, gaming impossible"

Update 8/13: Bandwidth caps have been confirmed to be between 2-10TB/month, even for Business customers(that part seems odd, but it's just an extra f.u. to the customer).

11/26/14 - Still crap Internet routing, Verizon not going to do anything about it(as parroted often by VZ fant@rds)...if you're reading this and contemplating switching to Verizon from CableVision, Optimum or TimeWarner, you have been warned.

member for 5 years, 1683 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

probably wont fix itself......

Might want to call in a repair issue?
serge87

join:2009-11-29

Re: probably wont fix itself......

said by ITALIAN926:

Might want to call in a repair issue?

Repair call won't do anything, I have full speed but latency is crap and I get massive timeouts. Verizon refuses to acknowledge the problem. They insist it's everything except their network(my router, pc, website visited, etc). I have hard evidence via trace routes and pingplots but the tier 1 support doesn't even know what a trace route is. I am not the only one - see the forum especially the thread titled " High pings / bad routing..."

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11

Re: probably wont fix itself......

Just insist to talk to their manager, eventually you'll get someone who knows their stuff. Verizon FiOS has the lowest pings I've ever had something is definitely wrong

»www.speedtest.net/result/2504358514.png
guppy_fish
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL

remove profanity

Please remove your 4 letter profanity from your summary.
serge87

join:2009-11-29

Re: remove profanity

said by guppy_fish:

Please remove your 4 letter profanity from your summary.

Edited with stars to protect delicate sensibilities.