Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1938 reviews (1455 good) (144 bad)

Review by serge87 See Profile

Good "When it works(rarely more recently), it works great"
Bad "Premium price, data caps exist, routing is unfinished"
Overall "incompetent peering practices, VPN use necessary to avoid sh*t tier routing, gaming impossible"

Update 8/13: Bandwidth caps have been confirmed to be between 2-10TB/month, even for Business customers(that part seems odd, but it's just an extra f.u. to the customer).

11/26/14 - Still crap Internet routing, Verizon not going to do anything about it(as parroted often by VZ fant@rds)...if you're reading this and contemplating switching to Verizon from CableVision, Optimum or TimeWarner, you have been warned.

member for 4.9 years, 1652 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few minutes ago

Comments:

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

probably wont fix itself......

Might want to call in a repair issue?

join:2009-11-29

Re: probably wont fix itself......

said by ITALIAN926:

Might want to call in a repair issue?

Repair call won't do anything, I have full speed but latency is crap and I get massive timeouts. Verizon refuses to acknowledge the problem. They insist it's everything except their network(my router, pc, website visited, etc). I have hard evidence via trace routes and pingplots but the tier 1 support doesn't even know what a trace route is. I am not the only one - see the forum especially the thread titled " High pings / bad routing..."

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11

Re: probably wont fix itself......

Just insist to talk to their manager, eventually you'll get someone who knows their stuff. Verizon FiOS has the lowest pings I've ever had something is definitely wrong

»www.speedtest.net/result/2504358514.png
guppy_fish
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL

remove profanity

Please remove your 4 letter profanity from your summary.

Re: remove profanity

said by guppy_fish:

Please remove your 4 letter profanity from your summary.

Edited with stars to protect delicate sensibilities.

Review by sburkhardt See Profile

• Location: Huntington Beach,Orange,CA
Good "Ordering and installation were smooth"
Bad "Outdated equipment in building means FIOS Lite and SLOW speeds"
Overall "Ehhh... only reason I am sticking with them is dealing with TW is a lot worse"

Ordered the highest TV package and wanted high speed internet. Getting the TV was not a problem but caps in my building are 30/5 on the internet. Apparently Verizon does not want to upgrade their cabinets. I have a coax and copper drop into the unit. Verizon utilized both. I have TV coming in through the coax (attached to their router which provides internet to the boxes) and internet through an ADSL modem attached to the copper. Tee ADSL modem then attaches to their router to supply internet to the boxes as well as supply the routing for the data. This explains their cap of 30/5 do to the use of the old copper. I do not understand why they could not send everything through the coax with higher throughput? Their competition, Time Warner, is now offering 300/20 service to my unit through the coax. The drawback is dealing with Time Warner and FiOS channel packages are better. I decided to go with the better TV worse data trade-off now, but with a 30/5 cap, i am still not sure I made the right decision. I was used to 75 down with Cox before I moved.

Install process went ok but took almost 4.5 hours. They had problems with syncing and activation on their end. It took two techs and quite a bit of time for them to get it all working. In the end everything worked. The installer was courteous and apologetic. FiOS also contacted me to rate the installation and make sure everything was working. If not I could contact the installer directly for resolution... a nice touch! Luckily everything functions as intended.

I stressed to Verizon sales that they REALLY NEED to address the service caps on my building. I would like to stick with them but the jury is still out in terms of which i can live without... higher speed or more channels/HD/Etc. I ended up paying a bit more per month not to be roped into a contract so I will not be penalized for dropping them... but will still be out the $70 or so in installation/activation fees. I don't think Verizon realizes that their competition is really pulling away in terms of speed! I thought FIOS was supposed to be fast... I think they need to rebrand this FiOS lite.

member for 11 years, 22 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

VashTS

@65.35.159.x

It Happens

Every building is different, if they are using ADSL for internet they either don't have the rights to use the coax, owner of the building wont let them run fiber to every unit, or its just to much of a pain or impossible to run fiber to every unit. 75 on cables not what its cracked up to be. I have it and I don't get the full download speeds, not just on speed test but using Usenet or FTP that can go 100 or faster! When I had Fios I got the full 75 down. Loved it! Wish I could get it again.

Review by Mike See Profile

• Location: Pittsburgh,Allegheny,PA
Good "Installer was good, far better than Comcast in ever regard. Performance and quality is so much better."
Bad "A lot of rare HD channels that no one wants instead of other useful HD"
Overall "Bye Comcast. Hope to never see you again"

Finally. After as long as fiber has been out I can finally get the thing.

I got a call one night that the fiber was lit up on my street and placed an order on the spot. I'm getting Digital Voice (VOiP), IPTV, and Data - 25m/15m.

5 days later the installer showed up, cut down the copper, put up aerial fiber, and hooked up everything.

I get a call at 9:25am that the fellow will be out here (one guy) to do everything. He shows up at 9:45am since traffic was good.

He's based about 20 miles away to the north. Everything is going to go off of coaxial. ONT / Power will be inside.

I showed him the ropes he said it isn't going to be too bad.

Now the fun starts.
Verizon isn't even good to Verizon.

None of us could see the fiber drop. He went to the back alley then lit up a cigarette. Can't see anything. He picks up his cell and is on hold for like 15 minutes.

Apparently the initial fiber lay is about 200 feet too short so he's going to have to go back to his depot, pick up a terminal, a line truck, and then extend the fiber, install a terminal, THEN he can tear down the copper.

Estimated time to completion - 7 hours.

This is turning really, really bad.

So after he comes back he clips the copper, runs the fiber, runs everything.

Now the configuration part... yeah not so much.

The HD box and one standard was DOA so he got another of each and each worked. He said a lot of these are DOA.

The Motorola 7100 HD and apparently any Onkyo product = instant green screen because of a parity bit error because "there is no HDMI standard" according to the installer.

So you can't quite use HDMI sound. You need to use optical out. He gave me an optical cable and said have fun and peaced out.

As of now the IMG is release - 1.6.2, Build 08.58, QIP-7100 PI.

I did have to call Verizon tech support because the installer locked me out of my new FiOS router - Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. D (Taiwan).

However, I would like to give one last big FU to Comcast. It took 35 minutes to cancel my account. I was transferred 4 times and the last guy who actually claimed to cancel gave me lip for a good 5 - 10 minutes about how it was a bad mistake and tried to FUD Verizon. What an ass.

03-01-2010 update

My firmware is now 1.7.1 and I changed a standard box to a HD box. That fixed all HDMI problems with the Onkyo.

10-04-2012

Completely solid. 5 hours of downtime in 2 years. Not bad. A shame that the roll-outs have stopped.

---

11-21-2014

It still works great. I have no complaints. I added a third party Asus RTN66U wireless router and turned off the Actiontec wireless. The range and performance is better.

member for 14.1 years, 7765 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

tp0d
yabbazooie
join:2001-02-13
Carnegie, PA

roll outs havent stopped.. theyre building mt washington now. (mebe you meant somewhere other than the burg?)
if it aint broke, tweak it!!
currently on FiOS (kick aZZ!)

Review by Eebobb See Profile

• Location: Floral Park,Nassau,NY
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Good "It works and doesn't have much downtime"
Bad "It sucks for gaming and thats what I got it for and they overbill me 4 months in a row. Too expensive $157 for basic triple play"
Overall "Stay away from them if you game and want a good connection. Their tech support doesn't know anything about tech support"

member for 11 years, 4238 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
serge87

1 recommendation

Truth

Bad routing and terrible gaming go hand in hand on Verizon and has been known for some time on here. It's unfortunate but that's how it currently is. If you want a decent gaming experience, seek a cable competitor if possible. If you do go this route, please let us know which ISP you go to and how it compares to Verizon.

Dolansux

@173.3.224.x

Re: Truth

If you want the truth, check out the average speed, ping and latency of any fios sub. If YOU had a problem it is very uncommon.

1 recommendation

Re: Truth

You can have full speed verified by speed tests and still have packet loss.

Dolansux

@173.3.224.x

Re: Truth

So because YOU have packet loss, all Verizon FiOS is no good?

said by Dolansux :

So because YOU have packet loss, all Verizon FiOS is no good?

Do a search for problems gaming and Verizon FIOS. It's no good across the board...

Review by JoeIac See Profile

• Location: North Chelmsford,Middlesex,MA
Good "Internet is rock-solid"
Bad "Bill keeps creeping up, feel nicked and dimed, "
Overall "Waiting for a better alternative"

Update 11/19/14

Moved again, signed up for fios again (in December 2013, it took me a while to get back to this). Getting the hang of this now, got a nice deal on 150/75 so i was guaranteed Ethernet and GPON. Installer was fairly knowledgeable but had some issue activating the ONT, had to send someone else who replaced it with one of the "Router Looking" ONTs but that sits inside of a box in my basement. I've got the triple play with Phone, TV, and currently the 75/75 internet. I'd love to upgrade back to 150/150, but i would be looking at something like a $50 a month spike in my bill. I can't justify that. I also haven't been happy with the netflix performance the past couple of months which i do blame on verizon. It's much better now, finally but i'm not happy that netflix had to pay to improve service i already pay for. I'm getting more and more concerned about the direction that Verizon is taking. Between the alleged 10TB cap, the price hikes, the lack of interest in FTTH. I'm not as convinced that the service is worth it, but I love the reliability, and the upload speed. When my contract is up, we'll see what they offer and i might look into some sort of comcast / dual-wan setup, or dropping and giving comcast another try. I don't have any love left for Comcast, but i no longer think that verizon is any better. At this point it's just making a realtime call about which of the two is the lesser of two evils.

Update 3/19/2012

Moved locations, signed up for fios again, parents are still at the other house. with 35/35 connections at both places i can sustain a 4 MB/sec transfer between computers with my untangle /open vpn site to site setup. Still loving fios, the install here was much better, and makes up for the underground guys. the tech was helpful, a little messy, but i just let him do his thing and then once he left went ahead and switched to ethernet and installed my router. Still extremely happy.

Update 10/13/2010

Fios continues to be awesome, i dropped down to 25/25 (which has been 30/25 lately) and upgraded my router to an untangle server which currently has over 90 days of uptime, and the internet as far as i am aware has not gone down once in at least the past year.

Update 3/30/10

The service has stayed great, we have rebundled and get blazing fast 35/35 internet, in addition to more HD channels than we have any use for, and also added our verizon wireless account into the mix so all costs are included in the $420 / month figure (35/35 internet, tv with 5 stbs, phone, 1400 min wireless plan with 2 droids and a total of 5 lines)

Yes, $400 a month is extremely expensive, but their doesn't seem to be any relief in site on that front.

Original post from ~3/09:

Switched from Comcast ~9 months ago, and it was a great decision! Fios has proven better all around, with faster, more reliable internet, Great TV selection, a great Hi-Def multi-room DVR, and very good set top boxes!

We have the basic digital TV package and 20/5 internet, in addition to the standard phone offering, and overall everything is excellent, we have had one intermittent signal problem on some of our TVs, but Verizon was here the next day, and had to replace our ONT, but its been fine since. The router has worked well, i dont love it, but it hasn't been worth the effort of adding a 2nd router.

The only problem I've had so far with Verizon has been the installation coordination, from when they ran orange conduit everywhere (underground utilities here) until they ran fiber through it, until we were able to get Fios was a 2 year process, and our installation appointment was originally scheduled for January, but the ground was frozen so it had to be set back until May, but this was only realized when a tech arrived, and discovered that their was no fiber from the sidewalk to the house, and no way to get it there in the interim.

Overall, fios is great, and i'd recommend it to anyone, especially those who aren't stuck with underground utilities.

member for 5.7 years, 2961 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

hypocritemuc

@24.184.171.x

lesser of two evils?

Wow I find it amazing you slam Verizon for the Netflix deal, yet Netflix signed a deal with Comcast first, but somehow Verizon takes more heat for it. Also you're not happy with the price difference between 75/75 & 150/150, yet you would consider a downgrade with another carrier as ok.

Review by Modus See Profile

• Location: us
Good "Internet speeds are on point no fluctuation"
Bad "The hdmi cables they give are garbage! To get the most out of your Fios tv buy some better HDMI cables"
Overall "The Fios Tv service is also awesome it's such a big difference in comparison to cable tv"

I have since transitioned to a chord cutting life style. I don't have the Fios tv service anymore, I am now using my own router on the internet only service and i love it. The Fios tv service was great but i noticed that they were increasing the price every year and i thought to put a end to that which i did. The internet service so far still is great, plus i don't have my bill increasing every year which is nice.

Comments:

Review by wilitos See Profile

• Location: Reston,Fairfax,VA
Good "reliable, fast speeds, and good enough for what I need"
Bad "price"
Overall "Reliable service with no interruptions."

I've had FIOS since 2009 and the service has been very reliable with no interruptions. Down side is price. There are other options out here which I have considered but one thing I need to have is a good reliable service which FIOS has done in my area. I had comcast a while back and I always had issues with their service in my experience with them. Although, now with the new xfinity tv(which looks impressive) and the genie from DirecTV... I may give them a try in the future.

my tv plan:TV Preferred
my internet plan: 50/50 QGR
SportPass
HBO
Spanish
DVR

Comments:

Review by ARMYSLDRNET1 See Profile

• Location: Beaumont,Riverside,CA
Good "STABILITY"
Bad "A LITTLE TOO HIGH ON COST"
Overall "NICE"

IF ITS AVAILABLE AT YOUR LOCATION PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND GET FIOS.

Comments:

Review by dvarona See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,Queens,NY
Good "Faster download speeds!"
Bad "Still spotty connections to some sources"
Overall "Good choice if you need fast connectivity, but they do have cheaper options"

·Covad Communicat..
I originally had a specialized DSL with COVAD (10Mbps +5 static IPs, $175/mo) and a separate cable TV package with Time Warner ($90/mo for standard digital). My new service with FiOS replaces both of those with a net savings of $120/mo. However, most other FiOS users don't come from a $175/mo DSL package, so obviously my savings are outsized from the norm.

Order was done by table reps outside my building; filling out the details took annoyingly long (about 35 minutes to type everything into a tablet). However, the installation was scheduled for a few days later. They had already put all the fiber into the building, so all they had to do was install the equipment into the apartment. Installation was mostly painless, except that I wanted a DVR that I was not given the option for until the installer added it extra. So that bumped the price up a bit, but I was not complaining about it.

The main reason I wanted FiOS, and dearly for the past 10 years or so, was that most of my other Internet options were technologically lame. Cable users all seem to get clogged in the evenings during peak times. DSL speeds were limited. And Verizon just seemed to indifferent to actually give FiOS to people who wanted it. However, I signed up for the 75/35 Mbps package, which was recently "upgraded" to 75/75 Mbps. My download speeds have been as fast as 10MB/s (that's MegaBytes), compared to my previous DSL speeds of about 1MB/s.

Otherwise there's not much else to notice for Internet usage. In general web browsing is a bit snappier, but Verizon also seems to have poor peering connections with some other ISPs. For example, Steam videos (showing game previews and highlights) can be inexplicably slow. Similar behavior is found for imgur.com. These all seem to be site-specific, while I have these slowdowns I have no problem to other sites. But those relatively small Steam videos just ... won't ... load...

The TV service is somewhat underwhelming. I do miss NY1 from Time Warner, but it's not worth it continuing to put up with TW's mediocrity-- despite their fancy new customer centers and media blitz. But, the FiOS TV channels are laid out in very odd arrangements, with about 20 public access channels right near the lower end of the number range. Channels get repeated because each channel has a higher-numbered HD channel to go with it. And then there seems to be a higher duplication even further up. There is no "start over" feature like TW has.

Video quality is significantly improved over TW since Verizon doesn't have the bandwidth restrictions that TW has; the video doesn't need to be compressed so hard. MPEG artifacts are much less noticeable than they are on TW cable. Set top box is much more responsive, in boot time, channel changing, and video shifting on the DVR.

Oh, I also got a phone number with my "triple package". I couldn't care less about the phone number, it just keeps the price low. Presumably in a couple of years the price will change, but I'm sure I'll adjust it easily then.

Comments:

Review by dianac See Profile

• Location: Demarest,Bergen,NJ
Good "Rock solid: fast and reliable...even stayed up through Hurricane Sandy."
Bad "Expensive to buy broadband alone"
Overall "Buy the triple play bundle"

Have been a FiOS subscriber since the first week it was offered in my town (fall of 2006) and have been very happy with the service provided. Fortunately, FiOS mostly just works, and so interaction with Verizon's technical support is minimal (their support is still as bad as when they were part of Ma Bell).

We added FiOS-TV to our bundle in June of 2014 (using TiVo Roamio DVRs and Minis, not the Verizon Quantum TV Home Media Center, the VMS1100). So far we have been happy with that service as well, again having no issues that caused us to call support. By buying TiVos instead of using Verizon equipment we save almost $80 per month.

member for 165 days, 37 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

gary snyder

@50.248.32.x

routing issue - poor customer service

Starting today, packets routed to my static ip range are not showing up at my router. A call to customer service was unable to resolve the issue - they could not even diagnose beyond a simple ping, without sending a truck to the site.

Packets destined for my mail server @ 71.162.143.202 are being presented to postfix1-gtkcentral.net. (not my domain!!!!) Verizon business fios support was unable to diagnose - beyond a ping - which of course succeeded even though it was bouncing off the wrong host. I was unable to escalate to someone who could diagnose network routing issues.

As I am off site and will be for several days, this situation absolutely sucks. My name server, mail server, and web server are essentially off line. This is clearly a routing issue - worked yesterday, not today. No one to talk to. Piss poor. I will be seeking a new ISP upon my return home.

VashTS

@65.35.159.x

Re: routing issue - poor customer service

U should maybe go to the support page here for Verizon customers. Also dont post ur IP. Not only can I ping ur IP, witch means its working I can now scan for open ports and do other bad things. All tech support can do is ping. Looks heres a trace route. The 2 timeouts just might not be pingable. Thats normal. I dont know what issue your having but you have an IP and without being on site or even able to remote in to test them the server you cant just blame Verizon for what could be your problem. Maybe setup VNC so you can do that next time.

TraceRoute from Network-Tools.com to 71.162.XXX.XXX