Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1957 reviews (1465 good) (149 bad)

Review by SimplyDimi See Profile

• Location: East Elmhurst,Queens,NY
Good "Great pings when there's no peering/congestion issues (rarely nowadays)"
Bad "Slow DL speed from 6pm-12am EST (constant congestion/peering issues)"
Overall "Decent service when it's working but has turned horrible lately (avoid for now)"

Order/install took about a week and a half, bumpy sign up with savings and deals the representative promised to be giving me, claimed I was voiding install fee's and a bunch of other things which I ultimately had to call in to clarify a bunch of times till they credited the money back. (charged me an extra 150$ just to hook up a cat5e cable from ONT to the router which were 2 feet away from each other, tech had done it on his own without informing me of any additional charges but was billed later that month for it)

75/75 internet, phone and preferred HD services. (all routers supplied are horrible for wifi, use your own)

Only issue is with the actual internet service itself, upon signing up with verizon fios they claimed I wouldn't have to deal with congestion like issues anymore because they're a dedicated fiber infrastructure. My 75/75 turns to 5/75 after 6pm, so that was a lie.

For months now 1000's of people on dsl reports and the verizon forums along with myself are reporting the same issue of their download speed dropping significantly around 6pm-12am, along with having huge ping spikes and numerous hops with packet loss. I've opened over 17 tickets that have been labelled "resolved" and 4 techs show up and swap my gear, they keep closing tickets when the issue still persists every night like clockwork.

Verizon has done nothing but give people the runaround and refuses to acknowledge tracert's, speed tests and every little piece of info pointing to their poorly maintained CO's not properly configured to support the mass amount of people connecting to them, they're also inevitably bad at providing good peering and purposely put people through horrible/congested nodes.

Again not everyone is having these issues but a large amount are and who knows how many average users don't even see what's going on. All I see on twitter are 100's and thousands of people complaining about the services after 6pm as opposed to before that time frame, could they be having the same issue? my guess is probably.

Overall I would advise staying away from FiOS for the meantime, unless you wanna try your luck and hope you're one of the lucky ones that won't experience these issues.

(3/11/2015) UPDATE: Verizon is having huge peak hour slowdowns through routing that's going through Virginia and Washington.

(3/16/2015) UPDATE: Peering/throttling issues all around going through alter.net (Verizon), cogent and level3, incompetent network infrastructure and backbones falling apart during peak hours and when handing off to any type of 3rd party services. Verizon lies and says it only guarantee's their service through hops 1-4, from a network stand point that means they don't care about anything past their local CO's which is in fact 99.99% of the rest of the internet. have fun using 500/500 to get that rate ONLY to Verizon services and that is also hit or miss nowadays.

member for 77 days, 98 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
greatshow09

join:2013-07-07
Minneapolis, MN

Wait? Verizon is selling off alot of it's customers to frontier..

Where are you? This could explain it. By the way when did this start happening? Because I heard Frontier (and frontier fiOS) performance was terrible.

East Elmhurst, NY

Re: Wait? Verizon is selling off alot of it's customers to frontier..

said by greatshow09:

New York, which isn't part of the areas VZ sold to Frontier.

Speed?

I always wounder what it is people are doing that they say is so slow. Its something you can actually see your download speed on? I've not had 1 issue at any time of day. Im sure you talked to tech support and they had you do the speed test and that came back fine right? Your eithernet so you might even have your own router to they would have had to bypass the router and go right to 1 PC and test to the server. If they sent techs out, they have computers they test with. Im sure that test must have been fine for them not to call it into tier 2. But what ever your doing between 6-12 is slow? Any other time of day its fine? So during the high use time you expect what ever your doing to be as fast as non peek times, even though its outside of any ISPs control? Please post screen shots of your traceroutes and lets see where that speed issue is.
JohnDoe232

join:2014-03-26

I agree

Can confirm, FiOS service does have random slow-downs during evening hours. Doesn't happen as often as it did before but still exists. Most noticeable when watching streaming video content from providers like Twitch.tv. Twitch's tech support staff also confirmed the fact that they received a lot of complaints about "buffering" on stream specifically from FiOS users in an NYC area.

And yes, the recent mass "outage" in whole NorthEast (NYC, Boston, etc.) region 4 days ago was also extremely annoying, with sites like Twitter, Reddit and (surprise, surprise!) whole Twitch.tv being completely inaccessible for several hours (while other sites continued to work well and file download speeds not being affected by that "outage").
lijacobs

join:2010-07-30
Lawrence, NY

all lines are in fact copper on the poles ???

"a little side note on Verizon claiming its fully fiber optic, that is also a huge lie 9/10 times. specifically speaking from New York all lines are in fact copper on the poles so even though you're getting a fiber optic cable to the ONT, that actual fiber is converting to copper lines on the pole thus not legitimate fiber. only actual service to offer fiber from their CO to the home is Google Fiber, so don't get fooled."

Mr. SimplyDimi, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about!

said by lijacobs:

Mr. SimplyDimi, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about!

the fiber optic cable runs right into the pole and stops there, the lines running to the CO are based off copper that's been laying there for 10's of years. I have TWC 300/100 in my area and i get literally 0ms jitter at peak times vs my FiOS "fiber" which is getting packet loss and fluctuating jitter up to 60-70ms spikes through multiple hand off's to alter.net, cogent and level3. if it's such good "fiber" why is cable getting better results and performance overall, i'm just going by what i physically see at the pole in the neighborhood, even if im wrong about this info it doesn't justify verizon's horrible peering, throttling and congestion issues through all types of services.

VZKid

Re: all lines are in fact copper on the poles ???

LOL FiOS is 100% fiber! They only share the same poles. Do some research before you post outrageous false facts.

Re: all lines are in fact copper on the poles ???

100% congested fiber with peering/routing issues along with an extra pinch of throttling

Spam13

@verizon.net
They share poles with Copper and Fiber. FiOS is fiber from the C.O. to the ONT.

ex fios tech

@verizon.net
the only copper you have is from the ont to your phone or tv and router.. the copper still hangs outside but isnt used once you go to fios . know your facts

Same experience as yours

.... and I ditched them as well.

I ordered 25/25 Internet with Preferred HD and two CableCARD's.

I also went through the same slowdowns you describe. And the culprit also was alter.net.

Oh well... Cablevision does just fine.

Re: Same experience as yours

said by Network Guy:

.... and I ditched them as well.

I ordered 25/25 Internet with Preferred HD and two CableCARD's.

Oh well... Cablevision does just fine.

haha alter.net is actually owned by Verizon Communications, they try to fool the average consumers by saying they don't control those peering points, which in fact they do.
nice try verizon, nice try.

Re: Same experience as yours

You compelled me to fact-check your statement, and you're right.

Go figure.. Not surprised at all..

Review by serge87 See Profile

Good "When it works(not often more recently), it works without any problems"
Bad "Premium price, routing quality leaves a LOT to be desired"
Overall "Garbage speeds at peak time (6-11pm), incompetent peering practices, VPN use necessary at times"

3/14/15 - In the past few days the WAN gateway has been dropping my connection every couple of hours until I can reset my router. Annoying, but not totally unexpected at this point.

2/21/15 - Speeds still not there in the evening...jitter and packet loss unfortunately exists

1/27/2015 - Download speeds dropping like a rock at peak time 6-11pm EST. Stay tuned to see how much worse it can get.

11/26/14 - Still terrible Internet routing, Verizon is not planning to do anything about it and has stated in press releases wireline budgets are getting the axe...if you're reading this and contemplating switching to Verizon from CableVision, Optimum or TimeWarner, you have been warned...

Update 8/13: Bandwidth caps have been confirmed to be between 2-10TB/month, even for Business customers(that part seems odd, but it's just an extra f.u. to the customer).

member for 5.3 years, 1809 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

probably wont fix itself......

Might want to call in a repair issue?

join:2009-11-29

Re: probably wont fix itself......

said by ITALIAN926:

Might want to call in a repair issue?

Repair call won't do anything, I have full speed but latency is crap and I get massive timeouts. Verizon refuses to acknowledge the problem. They insist it's everything except their network(my router, pc, website visited, etc). I have hard evidence via trace routes and pingplots but the tier 1 support doesn't even know what a trace route is. I am not the only one - see the forum especially the thread titled " High pings / bad routing..."

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11

Re: probably wont fix itself......

Just insist to talk to their manager, eventually you'll get someone who knows their stuff. Verizon FiOS has the lowest pings I've ever had something is definitely wrong

»www.speedtest.net/result/2504358 ··· 8514.png

guppy_fish
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL

remove profanity

Please remove your 4 letter profanity from your summary.

Re: remove profanity

said by guppy_fish:

Please remove your 4 letter profanity from your summary.

Edited with stars to protect delicate sensibilities.

Still?

Still having issues? If you have logs of high pings and trace routes then when you call tell the person that. The phone support cant do anything about that. What they will do and should do is offer to send a tech out, when its happening, so they can see it on their own device and call it in to tier 2 since that they only way to get it done. Could be a bad PON card. Guess what. They wont do anything about it unless a tech is on site. And if its just during the normal "busy" times, ever think its not the ISP but the other side of the internet itself? Whats going slow thats bothering you so much? If its just some sites... well there u go, not Verizon. If its something else please let us know here so we can try to help you with that.

Re: Still?

said by VashTS :

ever think its not the ISP but the other side of the internet itself?

Sorry, but you're mistaken. When Verizon's own speedtest server can't provide the advertised speed, I can longer blame the rest of the Internet...

YMun99

join:2015-03-01
Providence, RI

Re: Still?

I had Cox Cable and got better speeds but they wanted more money maybe I should have stayed with Cox what a nightmare to pay for a service and get blamed or told it's on my end .

Review by cchhat01 See Profile

• Location: Elmhurst,Queens,NY
Good "Consistent speeds, speedtest are always fast, always on, 0 downtime"
Bad "none that i can think of at the moment"
Overall "get it if you can (afford it)!"

So I've had Verizon FIOS since Jun 2013. I only subscribe to their internet service as I am locked down to DISH Network for their TV package for a couple of years.

I have their 50/25 package and pay $49.99 per month. Recently, Verizon sneaked in a $1 fee and as such my bill has increased by a dollar but that's about it.

So far, we've had about 7 months of reliable service with ZERO downtime. I am really impressed. I previously had RCN Cable and was really frustrated with their peak-time slowdowns for nearly 6 months. Nothing was being done to fix these slowdowns and therefore, so I just pulled the trigger. I am paying a higher price (about $15/month more for introductory year) but the consistency of FIOS is the difference.

I've not really experienced any slowdowns. Speed tests are always consistently around the 58/38 Mbps range (added fluff).

I sometimes feel that there are peering issues slowdowns where certain sites load slowly at certain times in the day. And some sites I've noted are slower on FIOS than on cable (wikidevi.com for example). Not sure why. But overall I am satisfied. I am not sure I will continue service after the 1 year period as its simply not something I can afford to pay $80+ for 50/25 service. I will definitely try calling them around the 11 month mark and discuss continuing at the same rate for an additional year but I'm not holding my breath.

YouTube HD and Netflix SuperHD streams without any hiccups (so far).

Pre-sales: I'm rating this category as 3-star because of their "add-on-bogus-fee" tactics and here's why. I completed most of my pre-sales online and ultimately when it was time to select a date for installation, I decided to save the configuration and gave the sales team a call to see if there were any earlier dates available for install (sooner than the date available on their online calendar). They were accommodating and gave me an earlier date. Great. However, when I received an email confirming the install date, they added an install fee of $39.99 spread over 3 months. WTF? I called back and disputed it, clearly stating that this was wasn't present before. Their response was, we cannot remove this at the moment. However, after the install, they would credit me for the fee. Not happy with the response, I called again and tried speaking with another rep and again was told the same thing. I cancelled the order. Wasted a couple of days of time. Ultimately ordered FIOS completely online. No finagling with the billing etc by their reps. Everything was pretty smooth this time. Bottom line, If you can get the deals without calling customer care, ORDER ONLINE and save yourself from the low-balling of their sales team trying to sell you something you may not want. Of course, do this if you're well informed of what you want.

Install: Fantastic. The guy showed up very early (around 8AM). Was very courteous. I had a pre-wired FIOS installation from when we "tried" and cancelled before. I had also ran my own Shielded CAT5 cable from the ONT to my router. I told him I was not planning on using their router because of lack of 5GHz and the limited bandwidth on the 2.4Ghz Wifi. He was quite impressed with my WDS setup. He said that if I had wanted, he would have run a CAT5 cable himself (since I was getting JUST their internet services). Since all of the hard work was already done on a previous install, this was just a plug and play install for him and he was in-and-out in less than 20-25 minutes. Service was blazing fast since the first run.

Connection reliabilty: Has been rock solid (knock-on-wood) since install. Speed-tests are consistent. I have set up DSLR Smokepings several times and I barely see any packet loss through out my 14day smokeping. If your setup is in good shape, you will not have to worry about connectivity. THIS is why people want and go with FIOS. Because it is very consistent. No peak-time slowdowns (YET).

One odd thing that I have seen is that if I release and renew my IP through the router, there are about 10ms of discrepancies between the "Line Quality" test from lq2.dslreports.com based on the IP pool I am in and I have yet to determine the cause of this problem. So I wrote a script that releases-then-renews and checks pings to DSLR lq1 & lq2 until I am satisfied with the ping timings. If you have no idea what I am talking about, don't worry about it.

Tech Support: Its hard to rank them here because I have not needed to call them, EVER. But at a point in our previous usage of FIOS, we had to call them in for switching from COAX to CAT5 data on the ONT and they switched us over fairly quickly.

Value for money: I say this is the best thing you can get in my neighborhood. Sure Cable companies advertise similar speeds for less but in my experience, they dont come anywhere near FIOS. I don't have to deal with peak-time slowdowns. However it does become quite expensive after the first year so it is something for me to think about. I'll cross that bridge when I have to.

I will try to update my review whenever I get a chance to do so over the course of time.

UPDATE 3/13/2015:

I went to RCN for a while because FIOS pricing became ridiculous after a year. After a couple of months I came back to FIOS. 2 yrs agreement, 50/50 speeds and price of $39.99/month locked for 2 years. Can't get any better at that price. I had some hiccups during my first year with fios earlier (before I went to RCN). However, they resolved them within a couple of weeks (bad routing on their part which caused traffic on my path during peak hours).

However, since i signed up for the 2 years, things are always the same. always consistent (knock-on-wood). Still recommended as the best ISP only.

thanks,

cchhat01

Comments:

Xanax3MG

Quantum 500 is Amazing

I have a USA Office in Zip Code 11530 -- Long Island, New York. I am connected by Verizon (FIOS) Quantum.

I have consistent local speeds of 500-525/100-115 Mbps. On SpeedTest.Net, I connected to the SoftLayer DataCentre in Amsterdam, Netherlands. I got a connection of 465 Mbps. inbound and uploaded at my full 100 Mbps. I need the speed to manage domestic and foreign dedicated servers.
I'm astounded. This is the very fastest Internet connectivity in North America that I have ever seen.
NYC Girl
join:2007-02-04
Bronx, NY

This is how they make their money. You sign up for one package with all kinds of discounts and when you get the comfirmation email there's a different price which has INCREASED.

I was thinking of switchjng back to optimum; HOWEVER, internet speed choices are either 15, 50 or 101. What Fios doesn't charge for optimum does, which makes up for the taxes optimum doesn't charge (20.00) from Fios.

They all suck and they know we need them.

anonomeX

@comcast.net

Funny thing...

When I got FiOS 7 years ago (early 2007), it was cheaper than cable and way faster. Now speed is almost irrelevant and pricing is fairly equivalent. FiOS also used to be completely reliable with no issues in getting to any sites (Netflix etc.); now there are nothing but issues (not technical issues really, just Verizon being penurious). I've switched [back] to Comcast and getting the same speeds for half the price (promo, but still cheaper for the next 2 years). For the most part Comcast has been very reliable in my area--no worse than FiOS. (Frankly, all Verizon had to do to keep me as a customer was to not jack up my monthly fee by $8 [with no prior notice]. I guess they just really did not want my business.)

Review by bsangs See Profile

• Location: Montclair,Essex,NJ
Good "Internet speeds, reliability, picture quality, programming/channel lineup, on-line support"
Bad "Phone support still hit or miss"
Overall "Ditched FiOS's problematic DVR and am a happy camper again"

UPDATED 3/13/15

Got a couple Tivo Roamios and a few Tivo Minis and will never have to worry about FiOS Quantum software bugs again. Now the FiOS TV experience I knew and loved has returned. As always, the internet service remains top-notch and rock-solid.

UPDATED 1/27/15

The bot is bugging me to update so here goes...

Dropped FiOS Quantum TV to FiOS Local TV only and am using DirecTV for my viewing. Maybe once they work out all the bugs with Quantum I'll be back, but right now the service just isn't worth the money. Still very pleased with the internet service.

UPDATED 7/22/14

The DLSReports bot is bugging me for a review update, so here goes.

Recently upgraded to the Quantum Premium service - 12 tuners utilizing two DVRs and two client boxes. Upgrade was smooth and while the Quantum system is still in its infancy, I've been very pleased with it. The increased tuners, the increased storage space has been great. No more recording conflicts. Lost a free DVR for Life credit, but FiOS reps helped make up for that in other ways.

FiOS offers every channel I watch regularly in HD. I know there are some channels others still want, but I'm good. The HD picture is still the best around, as is FiOS's reliability for both TV and internet.

Price for Triple Play Ultimate is $149.99 and that gives me every available channel. The Quantum Premium service is $64 - $32 each for the equipment and the Quantum service itself. Don't judge, I like to watch TV.

Use the Verizon Direct forum here at DSLReports or the forums at Verizon's website if you need technical support. Much better than calling into Dante's Uncredited 8th Circle of Hell known as Verizon phone support.

I imagine the only reason I'd leave FiOS is if I moved to an area that didn't offer it. Between Comcast, RCN and Directv - the other providers I've had throughout the years - FiOS is easily the best overall experience.

UPDATED 12/8/13

Still have a FiOS Triple Play Package - Ultimate, 50/35, DV. Have a free DVR for life (would normally cost $19.99 per month), a second DVR ($16.99) and three HD STBs ($6.99 each).

The best part about FiOS remains its internet and reliability. Unfortunately, it's fallen so far behind other service providers in hardware technology, that if I weren't receiving a free DVR for life I would probably dump the television service altogether.

FiOS also remains behind the pack for sports programming. Some basic sports channels carried in HD on nearly every other provider remain in SD on FiOS - and some of those channels aren't even available unless you subscribe to the highest programming package. (Not important to the non-sports fan, I understand.)

I'll update my review of the TV side of FiOS if/when they ever deliver a DVR with more than two tuners. I'll never leave FiOS internet though. Nothing compares to it in my area.

UPDATED 1/26/13

OK, the DSL Reports system manager wants me to update my original review. Here goes.

-- Still have FiOS, even though I've sampled DirecTV during the last year as well. The best thing about FiOS remains its reliability. It is rock solid. Even during Hurricane Sandy, when we lost power, the FiOS never went out, until the backup battery died.
-- The DVR's have been greatly improved since I originally joined in 2010. Faster, better looking, larger HDs, ability to connect an external drive. The interface - now 1.9.1 is much better than the old 1.8 interface.
-- TV picture remains pristine and although FiOS doesn't offer some HD channels that people clamor for, it carries every one I enjoy watching, save for CBS SportsNetwork.
-- Also upgraded internet speed to 50/35, although it measures more like 60/40 at most times, which is great.
-- Multi Room DVR service works great, although what can be annoying are audio/video dropouts when watching a program from a different DVR. It is quickly remedied by rewinding the program, but still, it's bothersome. (Doesn't happen all the time though, which is weird.)
-- Recent software update to DVRs has improved the interface speed. For a while there were some issues, but all appears to have been fixed (knock wood).
-- Only wish there would be more HD offerings for sports subscriptions. Still limited when compared to DirecTV, which is the only reason I'm leaning toward going back to DirecTV when baseball season starts.
-- Also in our area, the Ultimate package includes every premium channel - HBO, Cinemax, Starz, Showtime, TMC, Epix - which is a steal if you're into those channels.
-- My monthly price includes three DVRs - one free for life - and a free SD STB, also included free for life with the package I originally received. DVRs run $19.99 per month for the main MRDVR and $16.99 for regular DVRs. (HD STBs - non-DVR - are $6.99.)

member for 12.6 years, 1586 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Noni

Horrible Tech Support and Customer Support

I ordered fios on 12/5/13 and first available install date was 12/14/13 between 8-10am. Tech showed up and said he was not going to install what I asked for since it was not worth the money. He went outside and called and upgraded me to a higher price package. He had some lady talk to me on the phone and she told me the price and I said no it was too much. The tech snatched the phone away and hung up on the lady. He went outside and was talking on the phone to someone else. Verizon called me on my phone and was offering me a different package when the tech came inside and told me to hang up the phone. I asked why he said all they are gonna do is confuse me. I said I am not going to hang up. He got in his truck and left. Now I can't get a tech out here. This has been an 11 hour nightmare. Thank goodness I did not cancel Brighthouse. Verizon Fios is horrible!!!

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

Re: Horrible Tech Support and Customer Support

Noni, that is completely ridiculous. I hope by now you have entered a complaint through the proper Verizon channels. What you experienced was a technician upgrading your package essentially without your approval in order to obtain a COMMISSION. You got a very bad apple there, unfortunately. The majority of their technicians do good work. Keyword: majority.
bsangs

join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

Re: Horrible Tech Support and Customer Support

Italian is right Noni. The Verizon techs are by far the best I've ever dealt with. What happened to you is not only ridiculous, but far from the norm.

Review by julesism See Profile

• Location: Lewisville,Denton,TX
Good "Service never goes down and I always get the speeds I pay for."
Bad "Billing is a complete mess. Still behind on HD content."
Overall "FiOS has lost it's new car shine/smell."

I've wanted FIOS for years but never lived in an area where it was available. How I lived without FIOS for so long baffles me. Now that I have it, I'll never be able to live without it. The internet speeds are unheard of and are stable\reliable. Internet is most important to me so I'm golden. I'm using my own router. My internet is Ethernet\DHCP so all I had to do was release the DHCP lease on the Verizon router and plug the Ethernet drop into my Linksys WRT610Nv2 running TomatoUSB. The routers supplied by Verizon are yawn.

TV is pretty good but here is where my complaints are. The hard drive size is not very big. FIOS TV is missing several HD channels that many other providers have. For me, I'm disappointed that Fox Soccer Channel HD and BBC America HD are not available. I had Remote DVR Access working using my Linksys router but they disabled my access because I am using an unsupported router. I understand if it's not supported but don't disable mine when it's working fine. Not happy about that but I'll live.

My bill will go up to ~$170 a month ($155 if I drop FS+) after my first 6 months. First month is ~$135.

Signed up on 4/26/10. Live on 4/30/10
FIOS 35/35 Internet
Ultimate HD with EPIX
1 x Home Media HD-DVR STB
1 x HD STB
Fox Soccer Plus a la carte (+$15)

UPDATE 11/2/10
In late July, I returned the Home Media DVR and the HD STB for a HD DVR box to save some money. It took until October to get the billing straightened out but each time I was properly credited, just a hassle to call and fix it. It's all good now. My bill is now ~$135\month after promotions\credits. I'm getting $20 credits and HBO\Cinemax free until December.

UPDATE 12/22/10
I just dropped FiOS TV but kept FiOS internet. I now have 15/5 for $54.99 a month. I switched to TWC for TV because they have 3 soccer channels (FSC, FS+, and GOLTV) in HD. FiOS has 0. As soon as FiOS catches up with FSC and FS+, I plan on going back to FiOS TV.

UPDATE May 2011
I came back to FIOS TV after the footie season was over and also went with a triple bundle. I currently have Ultimate HD with a MR-DVR in the living room and a stand alone HD box in the bedroom, 35/35 internet, and digital voice for ~$136/mth including taxes and after discounts. I'm happy with the newer STB's and FSC-HD is nice. All I need now is FS+HD and IMG 1.9.

UPDATE 11-28-11
Bill went up $10 to ~$146. Lost a discount. Following another members action, I've decided to lower the value for money option. I'm constantly debating whether or not I should go back to TWC for TV. FiOS TV has fallen behind with HD additions. TWC has FS+, GolTV, ESPN Deportes, and soon Fox Deportes all in HD. FiOS has none of those. It was like pulling teeth getting FiOS to give us FSC in HD. I'm pretty sure I can count the number of HD additions since April 2010 on both hands. Really wish FiOS exec's would make some decisions on their plans to combat this but nothing but fuzzy math and logic so far.

UPDATE 4-11-12
I decided to lower the pre-sales and tech support ratings. The product works great but when I have to speak to six different reps to make changes to my account, it's frustrating. Anytime I have made changes to my account, it's been painful :/

UPDATE 4-9-2014
We dropped TV service many months ago. FiOS TV is still way behind on HD content for our interests so we have TWC for TV. We currently have 50/25 internet only. Bill runs just under $74 a month. Considering bundling with TWC but 25mbps up is nice.

UPDATE 7-31-2014
Added TV back just before the World Cup in June. Upgraded to 75/75 speeds on 7/20. Just got my first bill it's $15 higher than what I signed up for. Thankfully I still have the order information with the price I agreed to. Waiting on Verizon to sort it out. Billing issues plague Verizon FiOS. Don't get me started on the fact that you cannot order TV service with a cablecard online or a phone rep...

UPDATE 10-12-2014
I've relocated out of Texas and no longer have Verizon FiOS. Overall, the past 4.5 years were ok. FiOS is still a bit behind on HD content (FS2, Fox Soccer Plus, NBCSN PL Extra Time) for me and billing still struggles to get it right the first time. FiOS is by far the most reliable service I have ever used. I cannot recall a single outage that was the fault of FiOS infrastructure.

UPDATE 3-12-2015
I (sadly) cancelled service in 09/2014 but was very excited for my move. I received electronic and paper statements for a credit of $13.13 for 5 months. Last month I decided to call billing and ask about the credit. I was promptly cut a refund check. This week I received a bill for $15.55. I called billing and the rep could not tell me why I was charged but he promptly credited my account. Someone should write a song/novel/movie regarding Verizon FiOS billing -_-

member for 13.3 years, 2794 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

pmainard07

join:2015-01-16

This pretty much sums it up.

I live in Southlake and have had FiOS for over 12 years now. I love the reliability of the service and the fast speeds but billing is a complete mess. I've always had problems with false charges and my bill being wrong. Anyways, love the service but not the billing side and I'm going to be really sad when Frontier takes over Verizon's fiber optic lines.

IwantFSC

@navy.mil

FIOS Service TV lineup

I am a 3 days old customer. recently converted from COMCAST. I thought they were bad!!

FIOS Sports package leave a lot to wish for. Very short of HD Channels and a license to steal your money in broad day light is you want to add a channel to your bundle package. Extremely disappointed with the TV Service.

Review by Energystream See Profile

• Location: Ridgewood,Queens,NY
Good "Fast reliable"
Bad "Intermittant issues, but I do not believe it is related directly to Fios"
Overall "Happy with it"

Coming from Time Warner Cable, the uptime is far better. I do get stuttering some times with some sites (Netflix, yahoo), but difficult to determine if directly related to Fios.

member for 4.9 years, 613 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by nothing00 See Profile

• Location: Hanover,Anne Arundel,MD
Good "Install techs do nice clean work"
Bad "Slowdowns and capacity problems"
Overall "Limited competition, you're probably stuck"

From first to worst. Well, they might not be worst yet but they're headed that direction rapidly. FIOS, with its fiber optic network, should have no capacity issues and be able to deliver service that's head and shoulders above the rest. They sure used to. They now have significant capacity problems and no longer deliver on their basic promises of speeds that they sell. If you're on FiOS I suggest downgrading to the speed plan they can actually deliver. However they don't seem to be able to deliver even their lowest tier of service, 25/25, reliably so that's as low as you can go.

If you don't have FiOS are are considering switching, don't let their great old reputation fool you. This is not the ISP it once was.

It seems like an ISP with a global footprint should have the engineering know-how to do better. Therefore it must be a business decision to not spend money (while insisting that you pay your bill) that's causing these issues.

Comments:
Network Guy

Yep

I had FiOS. I ditched them after three months. Same problems you describe.

The bill did arrive timely during that time though.

Summed up perfectly.

going into 2015 with peering, capacity and congestion issues

same issues here, they want to be paid in full when they're not even providing 5% of the paid download/upload rates after 6pm.

Re: going into 2015 with peering, capacity and congestion issues

I always wounder what it is people are doing that they say is so slow. Its something you can actually see your download speed on? I've not had 1 issue at any time of day. Im sure you talked to tech support and they had you do the speed test and that came back fine right? But what ever your doing between 6-12 is slow? Any other time of day its fine? So during the high use time you expect what ever your doing to be as fast as non peek times, even though its outside of any ISPs control? Please post screen shots of your traceroutes and lets see where that speed issue is.

Re: going into 2015 with peering, capacity and congestion issues

I've already posted screen shots, tracert's and monitored graphs on my original post about the issue that has over 13k views and 800 responses on it with 100's seeing the same issue. I now have time warner cable 300/20 and fios 75/75, TWC is downloading at 38MB/sec durning peak time while FiOS is downloading at 200kbps, yes KBPS! Look
at it anyway you want to, it could be anything from throttling - peering/congestion.

Oh and also take a look at Verizon direct and Verizon's own forums on their website to see it blowing up with mass amounts of people reporting this issue since Christmas 14'

Review by patt2k See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Upload higher then download "
Bad "Constant billing issues"
Overall "Dumped TWC long time ago"

March 08 2015 Update:

In December 2014 I took a contract renewal. At first my promised rate was 71 and some change but the system is broken as always and then I had to fight with them I was ready to cancel contract but the rep offered me 20$ off for 1 year (then 89.99) when at first (it was supposed to be 71 and some change) then 2nd year is 89.99, and 3rd year without contract is also 89.99

I also got free all premium channels for 2 years.

1st year 69.99 for : 75/75 + Select HD + 1STB +1Cable Card around 95$ w/taxes
2nd year 89.99 -> + all same fees
3rd year 89.99 -> + all same fees

Free Premium Channels

_______________________________________________

Somewhere between 7/21/2014
____________________________
Yesterday took the free upgrade from 75/35 to 75/75 well in my case it jacked my price by 10$ working with Verizon Direct they sent request to Elite Billing team giving them chance for now to fix it before making complaint with BBB, will give them about a week max.

75/35 jumped to 83/92
83 down as always
upload 92 from 38 mbps.

Price went up from 74.99$ (free upgrade was jacked -- as of 7/21/2014 ->> JUMPED to 84.99$

------ Initial Switch from TWC to Fios --------
___________________________________________
I switched from Time Warner Cable I had the 50/5 plan for 59$
the very next day when Time Warner sent me a letter , well not just me that they will be charging 3.95 modem rental fee I saw that Fios was at my adress so I few hours later ordered it!

Let's Compare:

TWC : 50/5 (59.99$)
Fios : 50/25 + TV , 79.99 (without taxes)

July 21st 2014
_____________________________________________________
Since may 26 I am now in Brooklyn.
__________________________________

Had a outlet charge when it clearly said free had to go to Verizon forums and get that sorted out.

I am still on 75/35 , + Prime HD but not STB but cablecard rental.
After they fixed my bill it's about 93-94$ after taxes/fees.

July 16 2013
_________________________________________________
Got my fios 100$ gift card which is 2nd one. For re-bundling when moved and a contract. Time Warner guys were walking around my block just 2 days ago and trying to convince me and some other people to join TWC , well that didn't work.

Sept6 2013
______________________________

Had a tech yesterday to fix up low signal with the TV-Service it turned out my splitter and cables were crap.
My bill did go up because somehow there is more taxes in Brooklyn rather when I lived in Queens I basically had small amount of tax..

Promised rate is 84.99 + taxes so I pay 15$ just in taxes and fees.
Before adding STB : 100.11
After : I would expect about 107$
I still have cable card and stb now.

After contract ends will be cutting the cord unless Verizon does something about those fees.

November 17 2013
____________________

3 Days ago I downgraded to Select HD because I barely watch tv..
My price was 79.99 , I was actually arguing with Verizon that my bill shows 79.99 but they were charging me 84.99.
I downgraded to Select HD + kept 75/35 and price was supposed to be 74.99 , but it's 69.99 it now shows that I have extra discount til November 2014.

I will also be dropping cable card so that is -5 buck because as I said lately I barely watch TV.

Oct05 2013
______________

A kind of weird surprise but can't complain.
My price for 75/35 + Prime HD was 84.99
if I changed it to any other package for same packages I would pay 89.99
so my base price changed from 84.99 to 79.99 why? I have no idea?

I'm I happy? yes Thank you Verizon! for giving me such an amazing deal.
so on my next bill it will be 79.99 for double play 75/35+Prime HD.

__________________________________

Comments:

Review by Acct101 See Profile

• Location: Bensalem,Bucks,PA
Good "Great channel selection and placement, ok customer service"
Bad "Picture is very good, but Comcast is better."

·T-Mobile US
Verizon was supposed to be here between 8 and 11 am. Never showed. I called at 12:30 and they said they ran into a problem and wanted me to reschedule.

Thanks for being pro-active and calling in the morning, Instead I had to sit around and wait for nothing.

Since this bad start, I've been very pleased with Verizon's service and channel additions.

Comments:

Review by iwnt14me See Profile

• Location: Chesapeake,Chesapeake City,VA
Good "NOTHING BETTER IN THIS AREA"
Bad "None at this time"
Overall "Beats Cox's Communications Hands Down"

UPDATED 03/04/2015

STILL GOING STRONG

UPDATED 08/06/2014

FIOS working great tested media server and returned due to tivo preference. I now have a 150/150 package as part of triple play. I have 2 tivo roamio's pro, 2 sling boxes, 4 mini's, and one vulkano and have no streaming issues. in near future may test the 500/500 offering. the down time has been none so overall I am happy.

************************************************************************************************

Updated 02/26/2009

I have the 20/20 package and have added a sling box as well. I have had no service outages for any of the triple play services. I have personally converted most of my apartment complex to FIOS. I know that in my complex we are now working on our forth splitter and when ever i see a moving truck I have no problems sharing my bad Cox's experiences and what a great service FIOS is.

Updated 08/24/2008

Been almost three months and have only had one issue and that was a result of Tivo. Verizon pushed their new HD channels and realigned almost all of their channels in the process. So for one evening my 7 Tivos recorded some strange programs. I have upgraded to the 20 / 20. I have managed to convinced 21 people so far in my complex to drop Cox and go to this service. The picture quality is unreal. I also used the refer a friend option with my neighbors and have received the maximum of 12 each $50.00 gift checks that I can apply to my bill. That means at this rate my first 6 months are costing me about $24.00 a month which is a steal. On all of my speed tests i have exceeded the 20 / 20. If your are in the Newport News, Virginia area and can get Fios I say drop Cavalier, Cox, Directv. I have only had Cox's service and it was in most cases worse then Charter and Suddenlink. I have had no billing issues to date and when I have called in the people I have spoken to were nice and quite knowledgeable.

***********************************************************************************************Ordered the triple play on Thursday May 28 around lunch time. and was given an install date of May 29th time window of 8-12. I was like wow technician showed up at my door at 10 am called me about an hour before to let me know his arrival time. This is in a MDU and form the time the work started in the MDU to my activation was 4 weeks plus. He did an excellent job installing ONT and running the required wires in the MDU. I was very impressed. He set up all three of my HD Tivos with cable cards single stream since they apparently dont have dual stream cards yet here. That was only draw back I had to take 6 single stream cards. I will contact the business office to see if they dual stream and if any one knows please hit me up and tell me. Overall I wish I had this 18 months ago Cox's service here in the MDU was really bad and they did not care. I plan to go door to door and let me neighbors know and come in look at the HD. Took 15/15 data plan

10/21/2011 FIOS 35/35 No problems with service worked great through hurricane. I did have a router die this week and I jumped on an open network connection and worked with the online help group and was done in 10 minutes.

02/03/2013 update

Fios has been outstanding and they seem to have corrected their customer service issue / billing issues so it has only gotten better. I also know that they have started to overlay more area in the hampton roads area with fios

upgraded to quantum 150/65 process took less than 2 hours. test well above advertised speeds as always verizon fios superior for just $7.50 more a week.

Comments:

isp10002

join:2012-10-24

^.^

Id love to see some speed tests.