Verizon FiOS page on DSLReports

bullet 1955 reviews (1464 good) (148 bad)

Review by iwnt14me See Profile

• Location: Chesapeake,Chesapeake City,VA
Good "NOTHING BETTER IN THIS AREA"
Bad "None at this time"
Overall "Beats Cox's Communications Hands Down"

UPDATED 03/04/2015

STILL GOING STRONG

UPDATED 08/06/2014

FIOS working great tested media server and returned due to tivo preference. I now have a 150/150 package as part of triple play. I have 2 tivo roamio's pro, 2 sling boxes, 4 mini's, and one vulkano and have no streaming issues. in near future may test the 500/500 offering. the down time has been none so overall I am happy.

************************************************************************************************

Updated 02/26/2009

I have the 20/20 package and have added a sling box as well. I have had no service outages for any of the triple play services. I have personally converted most of my apartment complex to FIOS. I know that in my complex we are now working on our forth splitter and when ever i see a moving truck I have no problems sharing my bad Cox's experiences and what a great service FIOS is.

Updated 08/24/2008

Been almost three months and have only had one issue and that was a result of Tivo. Verizon pushed their new HD channels and realigned almost all of their channels in the process. So for one evening my 7 Tivos recorded some strange programs. I have upgraded to the 20 / 20. I have managed to convinced 21 people so far in my complex to drop Cox and go to this service. The picture quality is unreal. I also used the refer a friend option with my neighbors and have received the maximum of 12 each $50.00 gift checks that I can apply to my bill. That means at this rate my first 6 months are costing me about $24.00 a month which is a steal. On all of my speed tests i have exceeded the 20 / 20. If your are in the Newport News, Virginia area and can get Fios I say drop Cavalier, Cox, Directv. I have only had Cox's service and it was in most cases worse then Charter and Suddenlink. I have had no billing issues to date and when I have called in the people I have spoken to were nice and quite knowledgeable.

***********************************************************************************************Ordered the triple play on Thursday May 28 around lunch time. and was given an install date of May 29th time window of 8-12. I was like wow technician showed up at my door at 10 am called me about an hour before to let me know his arrival time. This is in a MDU and form the time the work started in the MDU to my activation was 4 weeks plus. He did an excellent job installing ONT and running the required wires in the MDU. I was very impressed. He set up all three of my HD Tivos with cable cards single stream since they apparently dont have dual stream cards yet here. That was only draw back I had to take 6 single stream cards. I will contact the business office to see if they dual stream and if any one knows please hit me up and tell me. Overall I wish I had this 18 months ago Cox's service here in the MDU was really bad and they did not care. I plan to go door to door and let me neighbors know and come in look at the HD. Took 15/15 data plan

10/21/2011 FIOS 35/35 No problems with service worked great through hurricane. I did have a router die this week and I jumped on an open network connection and worked with the online help group and was done in 10 minutes.

02/03/2013 update

Fios has been outstanding and they seem to have corrected their customer service issue / billing issues so it has only gotten better. I also know that they have started to overlay more area in the hampton roads area with fios

upgraded to quantum 150/65 process took less than 2 hours. test well above advertised speeds as always verizon fios superior for just $7.50 more a week.

member for 14.4 years, 2209 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

isp10002

join:2012-10-24

^.^

Id love to see some speed tests.

Review by CamboDK See Profile

• Location: Fairfax,Fairfax,VA
Good "Speed, Reliability"
Bad "Customer Service"
Overall "Great as long as you don't have a billing or technical issue"

·Cox HSI
Ordered the double play bundle including Internet and TV. Internet was originally 50/25, but recently was upgraded to symmetrical 50/50. My TV package was the Extreme package (300+ channels with 80+ in HD).

The order turnaround was quick and install was painless. The installer installed the Verizon box in the garage and actually took the time to do a great install. Routed the wires properly and cable management looked great. Only issue was activating my cable card. The card provided to me by the installer wasn't not in their system under my name. There system says it was inventoried in their warehouse and not even under my account. Call numerous time to get it resolved with wait times as long as an hour. They eventually sent me a replacement cable card. Customer service via phone is non-existent at the time of service install.

I've heard in the past billing issue can be a pain, but I haven't encountered any issues with my bills.

Overall, if you can get FiOS--get it, but don't expect much from their customer service department.

member for 204 days, 76 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by sam64 See Profile

• Location: Newtown,Bucks,PA
Good "Great install, excellent customer service, very reliable"
Overall "FIOS rocks. Would never use anything else if available."

Had DSL and cable before. Switched from DSL to cable for better speed and switched back to DSL becacuse of poor reliability with cable.

One of the first FIOS installs in Bucks County, PA. Have had it since July 2005. Only one outage - due to power failure last year. No fault of Verizon - could not use service even if it was available.

D-Link Router installed.

Excellent install coordination, follow up and after sales service. Tech support is first class.

2/17/15 Update
Thought I would write an update after almost 10 years on FiOS.

I now have triple play service and cost has skyrocketed to ~$230 per month once you take in all the supplemental charges for STBs and such.

I am no longer on contract and VZ no longer seems to be interested in offering any deals to keep me as a customer. I am seriousloy rethinking going to another alternative provider if the $ makes sense.

I am currently on 20/5 tier -- no SpeedMatch here. Never seen it and cannot even choose it when I go onto their website to renew my contract.

Verizon FiOS is looking tired and no longer the shiny/new service it was 10 years ago. I no longer see it as great value due to the price I am paying.

Comments:

NVFisherman

@verizon.net

Verizon is expensive

I used to live in Newtown Borough. Verizon has gotten very expensive but it far more reliable than Comcast. Try Directv for great television picture.

Review by tex_ka95 See Profile

• Location: White Plains,Westchester,NY
Good "Reliable"
Bad "Android app rarely works. DVR can be buggy and slow."
Overall "Better than any cable system I've seen."

I've had FIOS since 2007 and it hasn't always been rosy, but I'll take it over any cable system.

Comments:

Review by serge87 See Profile

Good "When it works(rarely more recently), it works without any problems"
Bad "Premium price, routing quality leaves a LOT to be desired"
Overall "S-L-O-W speeds at peak time (6-11pm), incompetent peering practices, VPN use necessary at times"

2/21/15 - Speeds still not there in the evening...jitter and packet loss unfortunately exists

1/27/2015 - Download speeds dropping like a rock at peak time 6-11pm EST. Stay tuned to see how much worse it can get.

11/26/14 - Still crap Internet routing, Verizon not planning to do anything about it...if you're reading this and contemplating switching to Verizon from CableVision, Optimum or TimeWarner, you have been warned.

Update 8/13: Bandwidth caps have been confirmed to be between 2-10TB/month, even for Business customers(that part seems odd, but it's just an extra f.u. to the customer).

member for 5.2 years, 1777 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

probably wont fix itself......

Might want to call in a repair issue?

join:2009-11-29

Re: probably wont fix itself......

said by ITALIAN926:

Might want to call in a repair issue?

Repair call won't do anything, I have full speed but latency is crap and I get massive timeouts. Verizon refuses to acknowledge the problem. They insist it's everything except their network(my router, pc, website visited, etc). I have hard evidence via trace routes and pingplots but the tier 1 support doesn't even know what a trace route is. I am not the only one - see the forum especially the thread titled " High pings / bad routing..."

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11

Re: probably wont fix itself......

Just insist to talk to their manager, eventually you'll get someone who knows their stuff. Verizon FiOS has the lowest pings I've ever had something is definitely wrong

»www.speedtest.net/result/2504358 ··· 8514.png
guppy_fish
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL

remove profanity

Please remove your 4 letter profanity from your summary.

Re: remove profanity

said by guppy_fish:

Please remove your 4 letter profanity from your summary.

Edited with stars to protect delicate sensibilities.

VashTS

@bhn.net

Still?

Still having issues? If you have logs of high pings and trace routes then when you call tell the person that. The phone support cant do anything about that. What they will do and should do is offer to send a tech out, when its happening, so they can see it on their own device and call it in to tier 2 since that they only way to get it done. Could be a bad PON card. Guess what. They wont do anything about it unless a tech is on site. And if its just during the normal "busy" times, ever think its not the ISP but the other side of the internet itself? Whats going slow thats bothering you so much? If its just some sites... well there u go, not Verizon. If its something else please let us know here so we can try to help you with that.

Re: Still?

said by VashTS :

ever think its not the ISP but the other side of the internet itself?

Sorry, but you're mistaken. When Verizon's own speedtest server can't provide the advertised speed, I can longer blame the rest of the Internet...
YMun99

join:2015-03-01
Providence, RI

Re: Still?

I had Cox Cable and got better speeds but they wanted more money maybe I should have stayed with Cox what a nightmare to pay for a service and get blamed or told it's on my end .

Review by Max Greene See Profile

• Location: Ozone Park,Queens,NY
Good "HOLY COW!!! Its amazing!!"
Bad "Customer service is nonexistant"
Overall "Rock solid speeds, excellent installers!"

OK, I moved to NJ after suffering with Time Warner for years living in NYC. When I 1st moved here I went with Cablevision and it was a horrible 2 months with inconsistent speeds the whole time. The only reason I didnt go with FIOS 1st was the price but after 2 months of CV support trying their best to keep me as a customer I went over to FIOS.

I signed up online and opted for TV and 25/15 internet with a 1yr contract and 2 yr price guarantee. I signed up on a Thursday and was offered a Saturday install, 2 days later!!! I couldn't be home Saturday so opted for Monday 8am. I got a call on Friday confirming and giving me the basic lowdown on what I needed to do. Nothing major just make sure they can get to the computer, and common sense stuff.

The installers were prompt and started work immediately and worked straight through till lunch. They installed everything very neatly using existing wires and then took the time to show me the basics with the TV, the internet is self explanatory but they did make me set up an email acct.I was given an Actiontec MI424-WIR Rev E connected with coax.

I haven't been this happy with an ISP since the days of 1000000 dial up companies to choose from and I could pick a good provider. Rock solid 25/20 speeds, thats right Im paying for 25/15 and I get 20 up all the time. I cant find anything bad to say about it and Im so used to complaining with TWC and CV that Ive looked for every reason. I used to test my speeds all the time and get angry now I do it with a smile just to see how solid this service is. It could be a bit cheaper but to be honest even thats hard to complain about.

UPDATE: Nothing has changed except I now get 25/25 service, rock solid. My only gripe is that the CS dept are idiots. I want nothing more than to give them more $$ every month by switching to the 35/35 and Ultimate HD package and they wont let me do it without a new contract. So Ill stick with what I have and they can get $20 less a month from me.

UPDATE 11/20/2010 : All is still well except one thing and I might end up canceling and going back to CV for service. I want to change my plan to the 35/35 and Ultimate HD package and they insist I need to sign another contract which I will never do. All I want to do is give them $20 more a month and they insist on being difficult. If push comes to shove Ill leave, but what kind of morons do business this way?

UPDATE: 12/24 Still good internet service, TV is OK with DVR a constant issue. SUPPORT IS USELESS ESPECIALLY THE DIRECT SUPPORT ON THIS SITE.

UPDATE 4/1/2012 - Moved and had the option to stay with CV or come back to FIOS, and to be honest Im happy I am back. CV was just not nearly as good as FIOS, the connection quality is leaps and bounds above CV. The reason for the low customer svc scores were the inability to get around putting a social sec # in online or faxing a bunch of junk to them when we had an account prior and maintain a VZW acct for 10 yrs.The installers were top notch union guys who did a great job, and were apologetic over a very tiny pile of dust they left behind from drilling a hole which I found amusing since CV kind of left a mess in my last install.

UPDATE: 1/2015 Moved to Queens to a FIOS neighborhood and same quality service. The customer service is terrible as usual, I had a billing problem and they basically tortured me to resolve it. It took 6 phone calls each time assuring me it was resolved, it never was.

Comments:

Review by Laszlo See Profile

• Location: Morrisville,Bucks,PA
Good "Speedy and reliable internet"
Bad "Exorbitant pricing, terrible experience with billing when we had TV"
Overall "Great at just internet, bad with TV bundles, price gets higher and higher"

·Cox HSI
We signed up for FiOS back in September 2006 as soon as it became available in our area. Our original speed was 5/2 for $34.95/mo. We had no issues at all with our service when getting simple internet access.

Several years later we added TV to our plan and had no end of trouble. Verizon seemed incapable of properly billing us, making mistakes on our bill for 6 out of 7 months! It was a horrendous experience calling up customer service monthly to clear up issues. The CSRs would always assure us our complaints would be resolved (and that credit for their mistakes would be issued on our next statement), but when the next bill arrived, it almost always repeated the same billing overcharge _and_ did not refund us as promised. When things were finally resolved, we cut the cord on TV entirely (and never again had a billing issue).

TV was also expensive, at $37 for 15/5 internet, $48 for TV Essentials, $6/mo rental for each STB, and ~$5 tax and Video Franchise Fee (plus around $20/mo from their myriad billing screw-ups and overcharges). From July 2010 until December 2013, our pricing remained at $54.99/mo for 15/5 internet. From January 2014, they jacked the price up 15% to $62.99 with no bump in service. If anything, our streaming at YouTube and Netflix has been degraded lately (all other sites seem unaffected). No doubt Verizon is trying to extract protection money to access their customers, like Comcast managed to do recently.

In 2013 we had to ask for a replacement router because ours was dropping signal. A replacement (an Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. F) was mailed out without issue. However, we would still intermittently have issues with the signal not reaching to all bedrooms, or slowdowns that required a router restart. We eventually bought our own (an Asus RT-N66U) and those problems largely disappeared.

From September 2014, Verizon graciously decided to bump everyone's upload to match their download. However, as current customers we're grandfathered in at 15/15 while new sign-ups are offered 25/25 for the same price. Despite multiple notifications of the activated free upgrade (website/email/direct mail/phone), we've NEVER seen our upload budge. Even during a free 1-month "Quantum 50/50" trial, we never cracked 5mbps, despite our DL speed switching just fine. With this blatant misrepresentation, along with the previous billing screw-ups, I may have to take this up with the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board.

Now in October 2014 our bill has been raised yet again to $69.99/mo. That's 100% more than when we initially signed up, and a 27% jump in just the last 10 months! I channelled some cold rage in my call with the retentions department after that one. The best he could offer was a $5 off "Valued Customer" discount for 12 months, or $10 off with renewed 2-yr agreement (in reality, +$2 or -$3, given their most recent price increase). I see just how valuable a customer I am for being loyal to Verizon for 8 straight years--this is the first time a CSR has ever offered to "discount" our bill when we asked. They know overcongested Comcast is our only alternative, so feel free to milk us more year after year. I bought a cable modem just in case, so I can avoid Comcast's rental fee if I ever do follow through with a threatened switch.

In November we updated the firmware on our router, and afterwards we finally got the 15/15 Mbps speeds we'd been told we were receiving since September. I also called up Verizon again to see if we could apply again for the $5 off discount that I accidentally let expire before activating. The rep said that that discount was no longer available, and gave us $10 off for 12 months instead—no contract renewal required. It's still $5 more than we were paying through 2013, but at least the upload bandwidth has tripled.

____________

Timeline of complaints I submitted to the FCC and BBB regarding the billing debacle:

Nov - Made a call on 11/30/2009 to cancel the Games + Starz Play Pak trial (before the promotion deadline).

Dec - Charged $16 for Games + Starz Play Pak (this amount was never refunded). Tried unsuccessfully to cancel HBO trial online but changes would not save, so called in to cancel both HBO and Starz on Dec 2.

Jan - Charged $3.66 for HBO trial we'd also cancelled in time, $16 again for Games despite their previous assurance it would be removed (refunded only $12.67 of it in Feb), AND $8.99 for a Security/Backup plan that we'd never signed up for or been in a trial period for.

Jan 24 - Called to cancel them, again.

Feb - HBO cancellation again not honored, with $22.59 in new charges. The "Internet Additional Services" from Jan refunded (erroneously called "Adj FiOS TV Equipment").

Feb 12 - CSR told us HBO would be credited on next bill and canceled.

Mar - Refunded $25.65 of HBO charges

Apr - Billed $37 TWICE for FiOS internet service, the second time as an "Internet Additional Service", even though we are enrolled in the Verizon Flex internet/TV bundle.

Apr 9 - Spoke with a CSR who acknowledged the error on April's bill and filed for a refund of $39.22 on May's bill. Asked to drop TV bundle back to just internet service. Told there would be a $179 early termination fee, but after consulting with a supervisor, said it would be waived. She said the fee would most likely not show up at all, but would review our bill to verify that or refund the fee if charged. At this point appears resolved after 2 hours 46 minutes spent on the phone with Verizon Customer service, and several hours more trying to decipher obfuscated & error-riddled bills.

____________

And, if you hadn't guessed, the $179 ETF _did_ show up on our next bill, though that was quickly resolved by calling back the senior supervisor.

To top it all off, when we had to return the set-top boxes, Verizon only sent us one return shipping box (we had 2 STBs). We gave the other one away on Craigslist rather than deal with Verizon customer service for one more minute. Needless to say, we have stayed far away from TV bundles ever since.

Comments:
fixrman
join:2003-02-10
Hatboro, PA
·Verizon Online DSL

Verizon nightmares

Your experience rivals mine. I came very close to dumping Verizon yesterday. I have been with them for 14 years and I am tired of them jerking me around. Their price has nearly doubled in 7 years for internet only. Now I am glad to see that bundling only makes it worse, giving them two or three more ways to bill abusively.

Maybe if VZ lowered their prices, they'd attract more customers and not have to stick it to their existing customers. I do not feel valued, especially when in a chat, very early on, the agent promptly offered the link to cancellation. What? You don't care?

The next time they try a rate increase I won't even call to waste another hour plus on the phone, I will just have Comcast come out and make the switch, then VZ can start the butt kissing to get me back if they so desire. If they hadn't reversed the new charge and agreed to send me an updated modem at no charge, no rental - they'd have lost my business for at least two years and it would have taken a lot to get me to go back.

Why does it always require a threat to leave to get action?
"from a broken heart to a hole in the sky"

gsuburban

join:2000-02-29
Glendora, CA

Re: Verizon nightmares

That's how the monopoly system works. They were outlawed in the 1980's but that didn't last long and now, with Fios, guess what? The PUC (public utilities commission) rules and regulations are not the same with Fiber as compared to Copper. That's one reason why Fios is being pushed so hard and also why it's overpriced or unregulated. As much as I love Fios speed, it's extremely over priced as is their TV and Telephone. No bundle equals less headaches but it's more expensive in the long run. Shouldn't be that way, it should be less when subscribing to less services. Get this, if I want to change my speed package to the next slower speeds they offer, it's the same price !
fixrman
join:2003-02-10
Hatboro, PA

Re: Verizon nightmares

I wish I could argue with you and tell you that you are wrong, but I can't. You are 100% right. Lower speed is the same price? I think I'd be bugging the FCC on that one.
"from a broken heart to a hole in the sky"

Review by miataman See Profile

• Location: Chelmsford,Middlesex,MA
Good "HD quality, many bugs with Quantum box"
Bad "support services getting better but online chat is available. ."
Overall "Ultimate Employee discount is dealmaker for me"

As a former VZ / BA / NYNEX / NET C.O. technician (retired) I expected more from the service side of the house. my bad.

This is an update after a year. picture is great, awaiting new sware update, so can't comment on that. Billing-wise, I'm now into my 2nd week of trying to get my bill straightened out. I replaced a non-hd stb with a hd-stb. My bill arrived and it increased by $ 120.00 !!!!!. It looks like my Ultimate Employee discount was removed, and other services added. Having spent years in the muck with them, I know what's going on. I know the only way to get it straightened out is to "keep on keepin' on". A call or two every day, perhaps a stop by the local FIOS store, I'll wear 'em down eventually!

Update: 02/11/2012....
Took 3 bill cycles to straighten out. I have actually talked myself out of adding some premiums for fear they'll mess the billing up again!

Update 12/08/2012....
Billing has been much better for at least a year, I have made changes, and all flowed smoothly thru. Cost is getting up there, but I'm loving the IPad viewing APP. took long enough to get though.
The few service issues I've had were handled smoothly via online chat.

Update 11/15/2013...
Billing has been stable, even with "One-Pay". Picture quality seems to be less of a concern on Verizon's end, and 2-tuner DVR is just about obsolete.

Update 8/15/2014...
I'm now using Quantum. Original software was deficient since it was based on an obsolete version of the non-quantum software, features were missing.
Anxiously awaited the software update to improve and re-add the missing features.
The update came, and has introduced so many bugs it is laughable.
I can't understand how it even got released, they have a focus and slow-roll group, but it's pretty apparent that NOONE beta tested this software before release. Word at Verizon is that FIASCO is happenin'.

Update 02/18/2015...
Well, 2 updates into the Quantum and it is slowly getting "less buggy".
I really feel like I've been a beta tester over the last 6 months!
And we paid a premium price for the "experience".!!

member for 4.3 years, 2045 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

Update: 12/8/2012

The few service issues I've had were handled smoothly via online chat.
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".

Review by HappyCamper See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "High speed."
Bad "low qualified technicians"
Overall "Not bad as long as you don't have to deal with tech service"

I signed up for Verizon a few years ago and up until now I was happy. There never was any problem. They were knowledgeable, curious, and professional. The speed was approaching advertised (NYC has always been slower).

Yesterday the service went down for the whole block. They took almost two days to replace the box across the street. Fine. The weather was bad the past few days. Anything can happen. And service did resume in the evening. Then about 10 minutes after service resumed one of the technicians working on the pole across the street knocked on my door, "I have to check your connection." He spent a few minutes poking about the box on the side of my house. I don't know what he did but everything (phone, TV, Internet). I called customer service and was very rudely told that I massed up my service and would have to pay for a technician visit. When I tried to explain what happened the representative broke me off many times not letting me speak and then refused to give me her name. To top it all off I was told that the closest technician appointment was tomorrow at 12PM (more then 24 hours from the time of the call).

Not happy at all. Unqualified technicians. Rude customer representatives. Switch if you can.

Comments:

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

Dont worry

You wont be billed for the visit if the issue is the ONT outside... or the terminal on the pole

Review by DeadSurvivor See Profile

• Location: Tampa,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Price / Picture Quality / Package Offerings (Variety)."
Bad "Menu Layout Takes Getting Use To."
Overall "With Promotions, Channel Variety, Picture Quality, And Price Cannot Be Matched."

·Bright House Net..
Via Mail, I Received An Advertisement For Various Package Offering From Verizon. The Prices Were Decent.

I Opted For The TV Select HD Triple Play Bundle, Advertised At $74.99 (Plus Additional Taxes And Fees).

The TV Select HD Bundle (Which Appeared To Have A Limited Channel Line Up, With Some Channels Which I Have Never Heard Of) Also Came With 25/25 Internet Speeds. Also Included, Digital Voice Unlimited.

After Installation, I Found Out I Would Be Receiving The Fios Select HD Bonus Pack (Normally $5.00) And The Fully Loaded Entertainment Package - The Pay Non-Commercial Channels Such As HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc ... (Valued At $48.99). I Was Not Charged For Neither Of These Extra Add-On Packages. Credits Have Been And Will Be Issued For These Two Extra Add-On Packages For The Next Two Years.

Currently, I Pay $118.06 (For The First Month) And Couldn't Be Happier. This Is A Decent Price With Two Set-Top Boxes And A Router That Are Paid For In This Package.

This Promotion Took A 27 Year Customer From BrightHouse Networks (Since The Days It Was Paragon Cable) And Converted Me Into A Verizon Customer. I Hope In Two Years, Verizon And I Can Continue This TV Provider / Consumer Relationship.

(If BrightHouse Coiuld Have Beaten What Verizon Is Offering, They Would Likely Retain More Customers.
Unfortunately, Verizon Is Serious About Attracting New Customers And Their Approach Is Working.)