surpasshosting page on DSLReports

Review by nunya See Profile

• Location: O Fallon,Saint Charles,MO
Good "Cheap, cPanel, Emails"
Bad "Occasional outages, Kludgey support system"
Overall "I like Surpass most of the time"

·Charter
I just realized that I've been a customer of Surpass for at least 5 years and never left a review.

So here it is. I'm on a legacy shared hosting plan which probably isn't available any more (OC5). Surpass hasn't been perfect, but it's hard to expect much for less than $5 / month.

There have been a few bad stretches with frequent outages. I've gotten all puffed up in a tizzy and threatened to leave several times, but I never do. After shopping the competition, I always stick with Surpass.

FWIW, I think the outages have really tapered down. I think there was a series of unfortunate events a year or two ago that almost pushed me away.

My "hard feelings" tapered off as usual - I always stick it out. I think any low cost provider has "issues" at some time or another.

If someone were to ask me for a recommendation on a low cost host, I would recommend for them to give Surpass a try.

member for 13.8 years, 6170 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by UHF See Profile

Good "Price, fantastic tech support"
Bad "none"
Overall "Outstanding value"

·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
I've been through about a half dozen web hosts before trying Surpass over 5 years ago, on the recommendation of many here at DSLR. I'm currently hosting seven sites with them.

I had a few outages when they had problems at their NOC. They made some major upgrades and since then it's been rock solid with only very short outages during planned maintenance.

Support has been very responsive, and their emails are clear and understandable, no issues with poor English as support is all located in the USA.

Surpass has often gone above and beyond to help me out. I guess you can say that they did in fact surpass my expectations. I recommend them to anyone that asks me about web hosting.

member for 12.4 years, 5329 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mob See Profile

• Location: Overland Park,Johnson,KS
Good "Great value. Great service."
Bad "They charge money."
Overall "Great company, great service, great features."

·SureWest Internet
I recently changed hosting providers to Surpass after several years with
another hosting company. I had thought about changing numerous times but
never did since the old host was working and provided everything I *thought*
I needed.

I went ahead and got a Bronze reseller package about a month
ago. The ordering process was smooth, went with the pay via Pay Pal option.
The package costs $15 a month for 7GB of storage and 75GB of monthly
transfer. At my old host I was paying 18.95 a month for 300MB of space and
6GB of transfer, 5 sub domains and e-mail hosting, but not much else. With
Surpass I get unlimited sub domains, unlimited mysql databases, unlimited
number of e-mail accounts, unlimited mailing lists, and much more. They
also offer a large number of scripts that you can choose to install, from
blogs to Wiki to Project management to E-commerce. I have used the blog
scripts to start my own blog, and also installed a few photo galleries.

The few times I have had to contact technical support they have been prompt,
courteous and professional. They responded quickly, resolved the issue and
kept me informed of the ticket status.

Overall, I have been extremely satisfied with Surpass and would not have any
problems recommending them.

***Update 10-28-05***
Still no problems, have been able to add domains as needed. Very satisfied. They were able to stay online even during Hurricane Wilma. Two Thumbs WAY up for that one.

Update 01-06-06
Had a few issues, but the support desk was able to resolve all my issues quickly, in less than an hour usually. Even if I submitted the ticket late at night I still received a quick professional response from the support staff. Uptime has been great, and response for the servers is great. No lag in loading pages or download files. Still very pleased with the service.

Update 10-03-06
I decided to change plans a couple of months back and set up a 2nd account for personal sites. I got a 2nd account when I did the change, and was put on a new Dual processor, dual core Opteron server. At the time they had a promotion for a 2nd account of equal size for no additional charge, so now I have a total of 3.

Uptime has been great still, and the sites load quickly with little lag. Again I am still very pleased with the service. I would not have a problem suggesting this company to anyone needing to get reliable web hosting.

Update 11-13-06
Still very pleased with the services provided, and recently upgraded hosting packages. The process was very simple and was promptly completed by the tech support staff. Uptime is wonderful, and response times for the servers are great. The only way to make it any better would be to make it free.

Update 1-30-2009
Still with Surpass after all these years. My needs have changed over time and Surpass has been able to grow with my needs, offering support for any issue for services they provide. More than pleased with overall packages still. I will say that I have moved my personal domain email to Google, just so I can have Gmail with my own domain. All other services such as web pages, blogs, photo galleries,
`date +%m`.`date +%d`.`date +%y`
Still pleased with Surpass. Low down time, easy support.

member for 14 years, 5954 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by jester121 See Profile

• Location: Lake Zurich,Lake,IL
Good "Reliable, feature rich shared hosting"
Overall "Reasonably priced, a good value"
Setup experience:

We've been very happy with Surpass -- one brief outage due to a TMP volume that fulled up, was addressed in less than 1 hour by tech support. Sites are responsive considering it's a shared hosting package, we're quite content.

member for 11.2 years, 3994 visits, last login: 330 days ago

Comments:

Review by luma See Profile

• Location: Port Coquitlam,BC
Good "Great Support, Great Leadership, fast network and servers"
Bad "Power Infrastructure has failed a few times"
Overall "excellent value for money and a great company to do business with."
Setup experience:

I have 2 Reseller accounts and one Shared account with surpass.

I also had a Dedicated server for some time but I had no need for it anymore.

Network is fast, equipment is good. No major issues. Support is VERY fast and responsive.

I get the impression from the website and forums that the people who work there are happy employees which tends to reflect to the customer with the service received.

I will keep doing business with them and keep recommending them.

Comments:

Review by TearAbite See Profile

• Location: Rancho Cucamonga,San Bernardino,CA
Good "Reliable Dedi servers"
Bad "network issues from time to time"
Overall "Good support, good value"
Setup experience:

Been using a Dedicated server with Surpass for about 2 years now, and overall I'm very happy with them.
Had a few issues with (their) network connectivity, but overall uptime was is near 99.9%..
Support has been great - when the power supply on my server took a dump they had it back up and running in no time..

member for 13.2 years, 4193 visits, last login: 2.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by MSauk See Profile

• Location: Sandy,Salt Lake,UT
Good "Speed, reliability, price"
Bad "None to be honest"
Overall "Been with them for 5 months now and my longest downtime was a half hour"

5/16/2009

Well I moved away from them for a while because we were having constant downtime from the server I was on.

But I am now back with them and so far it has been solid. I have the 12 dollar shared plan which gives me, 9999gb disk space and unmetered bandwidth. Plus I received a free SSL certificate and Private IP.

Their prices are very competitive and I think the rough stretch I hit back in the day were growing pains.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------

I moved to them because I could no longer afford the host I was with at the time (was with them for over a year) and I could not be happier with Surpass in the 5 months since.

They helped move my accounts over and get them setup within 24 hours of me putting in a support request for them to do just that.

Support is not exactly quick, but it does get the job done. The reseller server I have been on has seen maybe an hour of downtime total in the 5 months I have been with them. And I am going on 3 months with zero downtime. I believe there were issues with the server when I first signed up, and they looked to have cleared that up within the first few months of service with them.

The price is outstanding for the service you receive. 15 dollars a month gets you 20GB of Space and 2000 GB of Bandwidth, not bad if you ask me.

The only improvement I would like to see with this company is the response time when you put in a ticket. I would like to see all tickets answered within an hour of submitting one.

One thing they have that most do not is a very active community board. You can get most questions answered there and also get help as well.

Overall I am very very happy with Surpass. I would without a doubt recommend them to a friend or family member.

member for 12.7 years, 4167 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jazzman916 See Profile

• Location: Birdland
Good "Value, Responsive Support, Decent Network, Reliability"
Bad "Pre-Sale Information on website"
Overall "Highly recommended"
Setup experience:

After a decline in quality ant my previous host and having out grown my shared account, I moved to Surpass Hosting based on the recommendation of others and the results of my own research. Soon after the move to my Surpass VPS, I took advantage of a sale on dedicated servers. I've been very pleased with the quality of the service and the responsiveness of technical support staff.

While I have had to ask for an update from time to time, staff work on the issue until it is resolved (not that there have been many). I can't say that I've always experienced that at other hosts.

So, if you are looking for a good quality provider at a reasonable price, Surpass Hosting may fit your needs.

member for 13.1 years, 5809 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by swintec See Profile

• Location: Alfred,York,ME
Good "Great All around Host"
Bad "Took About 2 Days To Get Setup"
Overall "Can See Myself With Them For Quite Awhile"
Setup experience:

UPDATE- Over the summer of 2008, I moved on to a new host, RapidVPS. Not because Surpass was not unable to keep me happy...simply because I needed a bigger server and I found similar services else where for a bit better price on the machine I was looking for. I will continue to recommend surpass.

UPDATE- 5-2-08- Continues to be great service. Tech support is great, there community based forum is also a great asset. Value for money is also one of there strong points. No complaints at all Keep up the good work!

I signed up with Surpass Hosting this past November during there special sale. The sale was essentialy whatever plan you sign up for, they will double the storage and bandwidth. I did not need much of either, so I took there "smallest" shared hosting plan. With the sale I ended up with 10 gigs of storage space and 400 gigs of bandwidth per MONTH! For me, this is a huge amount and I will never come close to it, but it is certainly nice to know it is there. Surpass has many different plans to choose from to suit just about anyones needs.

Every plan, from smallest to largest, has the same GREAT feature set. CPanel is just great, especially for me who really did not know what I was getting into. 5 minutes after my account was setup, I had several email accounts setup for my domain, easy as pie to do.

While uptime is not absolutely critical to me, Surpass certainly has it. From what I can tell, I have had no downtime. Technical support has also been great for the two occasions when I needed help fixing *my* mistakes.

Since I signed up during there big sale, setup time took a day or two longer than what I was quoted, but I can cetainly live with that. If that is the only thing that happens, then I will be with Surpass for a long time to come.

Surpass also has a great community forum filled with many helpful users and Surpass employees who actively post.

member for 10.8 years, 5408 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by robbym627 See Profile

• Location: Springfield,Sangamon,IL
Good "Good deal for the money!"
Bad "No phone support. Tech. Support has gotten worse."
Overall "Great company to deal with."
Setup experience:

I have had very few issues with my hosting but as of late when I have had an issue it has started taking a lot of time for the issues to be resolved.

member for 11.1 years, 1359 visits, last login: a few hours ago