Site5.com page on DSLReports

Review by Nightfall See Profile

• Location: Grand Rapids,Kent,MI
Good "Incredibly fast setup! Reliability is top notch! Improved Customer Support!"
Bad "A little expensive"
Overall "Site5 is great for us casual webmasters"

·ooma
·Callcentric
I moved to Site5 a little over 2 years ago from a very expensive webhost. Site5, at the time, was a great webhost with a lot of excellent reviews. Upon signing up, I was up and running almost immediately. Tech support helped me out in less than an hour when it came to moving my database over and fixing a couple permissions issues. I was very happy with their support and service.

Last year, I purchased a 2 year plan for $149 because I was so impressed with their service. I moved to a new server and account because I wanted the additional service and bandwidth that they sold. I had a couple hiccups, but support helped me out through the whole process. However, they were not as fast as they were when I first signed up with them.

Let me address the support issues first. When everything works, it works very well. My servers have 99.9 percent uptime or better. My site is always up and I can always make changes to it. I have no problems with my mail and so on. When I start making account changes or changing software on my site is when I need support to be sharp. They answer back in a hour or two whereas before it would be 15 minutes. I know we all want our service and support to be very fast. I don't have a problem with it being a little longer, but at the same time, the support has slipped with is why I rate them as a 3.

What I can say is this....

If you are a casual webdesigner or are looking for a server to house your mail and website, this is a great site for you. If you are a business hosting company that makes constant changes to SQL databases, moves your site from one account to another constantly, and does advanced things, this host may not be for you. I don't make a ton of changes to my site. I do edit the pages, but I don't make huge database changes. Therefore, this site is a good fit for me. At $6.21 a month, its a steal. Plus, there is no contract so if I cancel my account, I get all the remaining money back.

I recommend Site5.com.

UPDATE 10/25/07 - I just renewed my contract with a new plan. 1TB space, 10TB bandwidth, multisite for multiple sites, and a unique IP for 2 years for $9.15 a month. I prepayed for 2 years in advance which brought the price way down. As for my service though them, I can't be happier. My support tickets are answered in a timely manner and their uptime is very high.

UPDATE 08/04/08 - Still running on Site 5 and still happy. I only opened 3 support tickets in the last year, but all those were fixed very quickly. The issues that popped up were related to a server move problem. They had to update some of my permissions on the site and fix a couple things that broke. All is well and good in Site5 land.

UPDATE 02/18/09 - Still on Site 5 and still happy. I opened a couple support tickets in the last year and all those were fixed very quickly. One of them was my own fault as I wasn't watching what I was doing and screwed up one of the PHP tools. Still, they fixed it and I am still up and running. My contract with them ends in October and I am still happy with them. I will still look at other providers to make sure I am getting my moneys worth.

UPDATE 11/23/09 - Signed a new 3 year deal for Site5 service. Staying with them for a long time because of their great service.

UPDATE 10/22/10 - My service with Site5 is still excellent. No downtime. I maintain my own site, so I don't need any help from customer service. I haven't put in a help desk ticket to them in over 8 months. The last one I put in was answered and completed the next day. Glad I am still with Site5.

UPDATE 4/14/11 - I am still running on Site 5 and am about 1/2 through my 3 year deal that I renewed. It has been a great ride. I filled out one help desk ticket and the ticket was answered and fixed the same day. I am upgrading the tech support a notch on my review because of the smooth tech support I have gotten over the course of the last year. Mind you, I only have to put in a couple a year, but when I see fast communication back to me and a fast resolution, that has to count for something. Glad to still be with Site5 after all these years.

UPDATE 5/17/11 - I wanted to pass along a pleasant experience when it comes to the support on the site. I put in a help desk ticket and it was responded to within a couple hours time. The problem was very quickly resolved after that. Their technicians, with this one instance, were very responsive and helpful to fixing the issue.

UPDATE 11/30/11 - I haven't had any issues with Site5, but I am considering moving to a new host. I signed a long term committment with Site5 and I have been moving away from my site more and more. I am paid up until middle of next year, so I will continue to leverage it. I just may move to a less expensive website next year when the time comes.

UPDATE 6/11/12 - Site5 is great, but I am looking to move to a cheaper webhosting service in September when my year is up.

UPDATE 12/24/12 - I moved my service to a much cheaper provider. Will be posting a new review soon!

• Location: Schenectady,Schenectady,NY
Good "At least it works..."
Bad "Not as good as I expected."
Overall "Fine services for home pages with 100-200 visitors per day."
Setup experience:

I started with site5 in September 2007 and all was just great - friendly support, fast server, many features. I was in 'inanna' server. Then in 2008 all changed. There appeared too many outrages, the server could be unavailable for 10 or more minutes every day, support was too useless, always saying that all was fine and I'm a fool because I bother them... In 2009 it all became too bad, I collected lots of logs showing that the server was quite a lot unavailable from many counties (the delays of simple page loading were sometimes up to 40-60 seconds!). They were telling me that everything's fine and showed THEIR stats 99% uptime. Hah! I wonder if there was 80% uptime at that time! I wrote them that if they don't move my account to another server I'll leave their hosting. So they moved my account to their new 'rona' server. 'Rona' was fine - fast and almost without outrages, just perfect if compared to 'inanna'. It's OK even now, but I think it's only temporary. Maybe in a year it will be overloaded with accounts as well as 'inanna' and my fight will start all over again. So I calmed down then. But now I warmed up again. One of my users told me that anonymous FTP doesn't work anymore. Anonymous FTP was always working on my account (I've got a dedicated IP). I contacted support, they sent me useless 4-5 letters (stupid level 1 support). First they told me that I don't have a dedicated IP, that's why anonymous ftp doesn't work. I replied them with my IP address. Then they were trying to make me believe that all works, and after 2-3 useless replies I forced them to forward the issue to level 2 support (their sysadmin). That sysadmin told me that yes, they did disable anonymous ftp, because some of their clients (NOT ME) sometimes use anonymous FTP for flooding purposes and this reduces the performance of the server, and they decided to disable anonymous ftp for the whole server, and it is not impossible to enable ftp only for "good users". Then they suggested me to upgrade to dedicated server (starting from $145/mo!!!) to enable anonymous ftp in my account again, however, hey, it was mine before and I didn't brake any rules!

So, guys, if I were you, I'd look for another hosting with better moral principles and not-so-incompetent support. Unfortunately I've already paid for another 2 years before this ftp thing occurred, otherwise I'd have left without much regret... At the same time, I've signed up with a promo offer - 165 GB space, dedicated IP and unlimited domains/mysql databases and many stuff just for $5/mo - it's a fine price for this set of features, but now they sell the same for $7-$11 and you don't be a fool to buy it! I bet there are companies who will make you a lot more happier for this money!

(review was emailed from domain acritum.com)

Comments:

Review by jcallari See Profile

• Location: Cedar Grove,Essex,NJ
Good "Very easy to set up. Reliable service. Many features and SSH available upon request."
Bad "Flaky hardware problems, since rectified."
Overall "Over good value for the money."
Setup experience:

Unlimited bandwidth. Ridiculous amount of POP email accounts available. 1.5 GB of online storage. 3 MySQL databases. Control panel access with easy installation of CGI and PHP based web content and CMS systems.

Overall, very reliable, high quality service for a reasonable price.

Update: 9/3/2007

Still very pleased with Site5's hosting. Customer service is very solid. Fire off an email, and you'll have a response in a few minutes. They had problems with the server my site was hosted on, and once they pinned down the problem, they repaired the hardware. They were open to my suggestions, and took all information about the problems from me without complaint.

Overall, still very reliable and very high quality for the price. ($16.95 a month, no contract)

Comments:

Review by Ryan F See Profile

• Location: Alexandria,Alexandria City,VA
Good "Great tech support"
Bad "Nothing!"
Overall "I highly recommend it!"
Setup experience:

After growing tired of my constant issues with 1&1, I decided to give Site5 a try.
I signed up for their True MultiSite plan and received an acknowledgement/activation email within 30 minutes. I was then able to sign in to their custom-made site management tool NetAdmin. NetAdmin has many of the same features a standard cPanel installation does and is light years faster than 1&1's management tool. The only odd thing I've encountered with Site5 is the need to email support to enable access to WGET and SSH - I can understand needing to do it for SSH, but WGET was a new one for me... both were enabled within 30 minutes of my email, so it wasn't really a big deal.

True MultiSite specs:
12GB disk space
150GB of monthly transfer
Unlimited domains, MySQL databases, POP E-mail accounts and FTP accounts
RapidReflex (»site5.com/shared/rapidreflex.php)
SSH access on request
PHP, Perl, Python and Ruby support

My current plan is hosted on a quad Xeon 2.80GHz box with 2GB of RAM. And unlike my last plan with 1&1, PHP is compiled with no measly memory or POST size limits. You can see an example PHP info file here »216.118.97.143/~netadmin/info.php

I'm very happy with Site5 and highly recommend them to anyone looking for cheap and reliable shared hosting.