1and1 page on DSLReports

Review by XIII See Profile

• Location: Scottsdale,Maricopa,AZ
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "Inexpensive"
Bad "Lately it takes a while for changes to propagate"
Overall "excellent for domains"

·Cox HSI
·localphone.com
·T-Mobile US
This is for their domain packages only, I have not tried their other services.

Domains are cheap, especially when they have a promo, been with them since 2009. My only issues are that the support has been lacking lately, and they could use some feature improvements. Also lately it takes longer than it should to make changes ie: subdomains.

Update 2012:
I am still with them, I use them for the cheap domain products, though they are now $11, still cheaper than others, use my own DNS so once the domain is registered I just switch the DNS servers to mine and have no problems.

My only complaint is that they raised domain prices twice in one year, $1 each time.

People complain about their support, though it is lacking in some places it is generally really great, on par with GoDaddy. Had an issue with both where it was on the their end, both said what I was doing was not possible, I pointed out that it is setup that way on a different domain, 1&1 saw that and fixed it, GoDaddy saw it and said it was working due to a glitch (was doing it for 2 years before I had the problem), switched everything to 1&1 since then,

Comments:

Review by HarryTorres See Profile

• Location: Allentown,Lehigh,PA
Good "Their response time, easy ordering process. Unbeatable prices!"
Overall "The service is good, the price is right, it doesnt get any better"

·RCN CABLE
I currently subscribe to a dedicated server with Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard. The ordering process was easy and user friendly, the response time was excellent...I was even contacted by phone to confirm the order, and it was also part of their fraud check. Any changes I've had done were in a timely manner. Their billing invoices are simple and to the point. Nothing is hidden.

**UPDATE**

Since posting this review, I've upgraded my server to a different package...Intel Xeon 3.1Ghz Quad Core, 12GB RAM, 1TB HD (RAID 1) with CentOS 6/Plesk.

member for 12.6 years, 1695 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by msewing See Profile

• Location: Branford,New Haven,CT
Good "great value, reliable, comprehensive service"
Bad "not too much help for new/inexperienced users."
Overall "A good choice for technical users with mid-level server requirements"
Setup experience:

For $10 a month, you get a comprehensive shared server environment, SSH access, generous disk and I/O quotas. It works well for me as a "techie" with good Linux, shell, and web experience. I run my own versions of Joomla and MediaWiki and manage 12 domains. People without a technical background may have more trouble - documentation is not the best.

For $10, you cannot expect much one-on-one support -- and you won't get it. You really need to keep off-site backups of everything in case of a major problem -- although I've never had ANY technical or support issues with 1and1 after 3+ years. I.e., I've been able to solve my own problems.

I do have some niggles: I wish 1and1 supported Mailman. Their own mail list service is too simple. Their canned applications are generally not useful to me. Maybe they would be good if you want to evaluate different apps with minimal effort. But mostly they're old technology or old versions of advanced apps, like Joomla. They do provide a web email service, but it is not competitive with Gmail or Yahoo. They provide basic DNS configuration services, but you don't get full access to their DNS server. (No surprise!)

Comments:

Review by CWO333 See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Fast and easy sign-up, good list of features, inexpensive"
Bad "Sometimes intermittent connection for short periods of time"
Overall "Great inexpensive webhost"
Setup experience:

I've been using 1and1 as my main hosting provider for a little over 4 years and I have to say they have been a great experience for me. They are a great inexpensive webhost that I would definitely recommend. I originally started out with one small site that was mostly for tutorials, downloads, and tech support for a gaming server I played on and ever since, expanded my package and included the gaming server site itself, and 3 other domains. Easy access to all files, FTP and HTTP upload both handle very smoothly. All the options I could ever want for my sites. No horrible crippling problems. The only problems I've ever had with them is sometimes but rarely slow database access or slow intermittent connections which last only a very short time. So I would say definitely at least a 99.9% uptime which is all you can ask for.

Comments:

Review by spm9999 See Profile

• Location: Imperial,Jefferson,MO
Good "Always up, never a problem"
Bad "Little tricky on the setup for a newby like me"
Overall "Worth every penny"
Setup experience:

Been with 1 and 1 for almost a year. I have 5 domains with them. Setup was a bit tricky for a newby like me but tech support got me going in the right direction.

I never have a problem with them. Turning off front page extentions can take a while. OR was it turning them on? I hardly ever do it so it's not a big deal.

11.16.09 Still going great. Never see any downtime. Nothing more to add.

Comments:

Review by Someguy76 See Profile

• Location: Charlottesville,Charlottesville City,VA
Good "Great hosting service"
Bad "none"
Overall "they provide great service for the money"

they rock

150gb diskspace
25 mysql databases
10 ftp accounts
2 domains included
2500 email accounts
unlimited bandwidth

they are just awesome no ifs ands or buts

i highly recommend them

member for 7.6 years, 2835 visits, last login: 1.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by Lone Wolf See Profile

• Location: Philadelphia,Philadelphia,PA
Good "Cheap, Fast and Easy"
Overall "Use this host"

·Verizon Online DSL
Been using 1&1 for my business sites and personal site almost 6 years. Easy to set up and easy to access.

Comments:

Review by DrModem See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "Price, The package in general"
Bad "Their admin utility is slow"
Overall "This is a good provider to go with."

·exede by ViaSat
I got the $3/month MS Beginner Hosting Package for my gaming clan site. Has about 25gb of storage, 500 email boxes, etc. All in all, huge features, small price. this host is good to go with,

member for 7.7 years, 3279 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mediahound See Profile

• Location: Richmond,Contra Costa,CA
Good "Free private domain registration"
Bad "Terrible customer service and user interface"
Overall "Avoid at all costs"
Setup experience:

I decided to give 1and1 a try for a domain name registration because I saw that they offer free private registrations. Big mistake! After my first year was up and I wanted to transfer the domain name to another registrar, it was like pulling teeth dealing with 1and1 to get them to transfer it.

One of the problems is that for their private registration, they actually register your domain name to themselves. Getting them to release it was a big huge hassle and dealing with their customer support both via email and phone was terrible. They are not friendly, do not understand their own systems and do not communicate with each other (one department kept referring me to another department who in turn said, go back to the first department for help).

I highly recommend you avoid 1and1.com

Comments:

Review by justinmason4 See Profile

• Location: Hopkinsville,Christian,KY
Good "Very user friendly interface (control panel); Alot of Options"
Bad "World's worst technical support."
Overall "Eh, you get what you pay for, but it works."
Setup experience:

Only highly negative issue I ran into was a few months after site launch I installed their In2Site Live Dialog (a live on-site customer support/chat application).

It's an option they provide on their control panel. The program works great, but unfortunately they neglected to state that it sets your default index to a parent frameset.

And this frameset has only the text "Start" with a link to your actual home page index. What this means is: Search engine spiders (or other non-framed viewers) find a blank white home page with the hyperlinked word "Start", and that's it. It did a real number on my SEO after Google indexed this home page. My search engine ranks went out the window. They don't provide a resolution to this, and tech support said they couldn't help.

I wanted to share this option for anyone else who's run into the problem before (or will enviably in the future). After a bit of reverse engineering I figured out where the frame page was, and wrote a simple ASP script that will allow you to modify this page as desired so your SEO doesn't get screwed up as mine did.

The script can be found at: »avatarart.com/In2SiteLiveDialogFix.zip
(It's a small file, so I'll just leave it there in case anyone needs it)

Here are the instructions for using it:

1. Temporarily set the root directory to read/write permissions
2. Download/Backup a copy of the “.in2site.html” file from the website root.
3. Upload this single file ASP script
4. Browse to “/In2SiteLiveDialogFix.asp” on the website
5. Type in desired text to be seen on the parent page (as indicated by the form)
6. Copy over the In2Site variable values from the backed up copy of “in2site.html” (as indicated by the form)
7. Click on Submit and wait for the confirmation message.
8. Change your root directory permission back to normal

And that's it, problem solved. I've used it on the site itself, and it works great... now just to wait for Google to re-index the site to get rid of the stupid "Start" description for the site when you do a search.

Hope this helps someone else, because it was a nightmare trying to get their tiered tech support method to do anything for me about the problem.

Thanks,