Xplornet page on DSLReports

Review by MiseoZao See Profile

Good "At least it isn't Dial-Up"
Bad "The False Advertising, Usage Based Billing, Support, Value, Latency, Everything"
Overall "1.1x the speed of dial up with 0.1x the reliability."
Mail,DNS,News:

I am writing this review while my hour long video is buffering, I am 20 minutes in to my waiting period so if the past is any indication it should be about 30-40 more minutes before I am safe to watch the video. I am going to give a frank, honest review of Xplornet. Don't get it. Seriously, it was the worst decision I have ever made. Not only is it potentially worse than the dial-up internet I had before, it costs twice as much and goes down every time a cloud floats over the house. Do not get this for on-line gaming. Do not get this for streaming. Do not get this for Skyping. Do not get this for downloading.They advertise 10Mb/s download and I am getting about 300Kbp/s for twice the advertised price. I could replace every single monkey working in their Tech Support, not that I would like to call it support. The only reason to get this internet is if you live out where no other ISP is available. Otherwise go with any other option. I am trapped now, but you still have a chance. That's how they make money, they trap people who live out in the country with their promises of real internet. I guarentee if any form of internet besides Xplornet and dial up were available to everyone in the world, Xplornet would be bankrupt.

Comments:

jsebean

join:2014-05-16
Canada

Xplornet review reply

Is this the so called "4G" system they advertised? Around where I live, they only offer Telesat. Eastlink wireless canopy was ticking me off so I almost bought into it, but that I think would be insanely dumb. Luckily Bell Aliant just launched DSL and I'm just barely on the outer edge of it so I got that instead, glad I never got Xplornet. They don't have a cancellation grace period?

humanfilth

join:2013-02-14
cyber gutter

Re: Xplornet review reply

said by jsebean:

They don't have a cancellation grace period?

First 30 days of service has a no-cost-cancellation if not satisfied.
Problem is, there are many reports of manipulating the first (approximately)30 days of speed. Great speeds and no throttles, then kick the customer in the ballz and they get the same service as everyone else. 10Mbps could routinely be 5Mbps or 1.5Mbps. 7am to 2 am throttles for anything that is not time-sensitive(email, web pages with no video). On satellite, spot beam variables for data speed conditions.

4G is Viasat1. 4G is Hughesnet Echostar17.
Viasat2 and Echostar19 should be running in early 2017. Will be considered replacement satellites for the old Telesat AnikF2. Until the Canadian government announces a true replacement for the Anik F2 for the Canadian North.

300Kbps, probably the throttle for going over the hourly data limit.
Xplornet support will blame the customer for everything wrong with the connection. Xplornet never guarantees that the connection will be usable.

Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services
»www.ccts-cprst.ca/
Knowledge and curiosity are not crimes and those who are curious should not be treated like criminals.. »www.eff.org/https-everywhere

Review by marco3 See Profile

Good "Fast internet for the country"
Overall "A relatively good internet for the country"
Mail,DNS,News:

(I am providing this review as a user of the Xplornet service, I did not contact them or supervise the installation - but I believe I heard the installation went very well)

I have Xplornet and am satisfied with the provider. I was not the one who contacted the supplier, therefore for 'Pre Sales information' I chose a 3 for default, and as I do not know what is implied by 'Mail, DNS, News' I chose a 3 as well by default.

As for my use of the provider, I believe I am on a 80 gigabyte monthly usage plan, along with a 5 m/b download speed provided. I used to live in the city with faster advertised internet, but even with 5 m/b download speed, it suffices for my uses. And with 80 gigabyte plan, I have plenty of space required. I predominantly use the internet for video games which require good latency in order to compete along with Youtube (sometimes at the same time along with Skype), and am satisfied with Xplorenet's performance. I also surf the internet with ease.

My connection is based off a tower on my garage, which communicates with another receiver somewhere else in order to provide me with internet. Therefore, the reliability can be poor in severe weather, for example rain storms / snow. However, I used it all winter long and I believe it was rare for snow to impede my internet, it seems to be predominantly rain which gave it difficulty this past summer.

Sometimes also latency can be not the best, and 'ping' may be quite high in comparison to location. However, I don't know if this is because of 'Peak' hours or what.

(P.s. If any around Kemptville/ Brockville area have issues with the provider, have you considered the military base location as potentially interfering with your connection.)

Overall I am happy with my internet under Xplornet,

Marc

Comments:

Review by doitall See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Equipment worked fine"
Bad "Awful throttling policy ,deceptive marketing policy"
Overall "Choose any other ISP else if you posibly can"

·Yourlink
They did a very good install , up time was excellent and for first 59 days all worked as advertised . Then from that day forward certain web addresses were always throttled , always , no monthly quota to worry about as they just always choke certain sites after your trail period .
It has taken 8 phone calls to get disconnected and I am still getting billed . I am mad as hell for letting myself get fooled again.

If you have any other options for an ISP try them first . Horrible company .

Comments:

Review by wbzial See Profile

• Location: Grand-Saint-Esprit,QC
Good "Prompt installation from dealer."
Bad "Everything went downhill the second the installer left the house"
Overall "Bad, really bad."
Mail,DNS,News:

My little story with Xplornet.

I live in rural Quebec. No other isp available, i'm writting this on dial-up.

So, back in July 2012, we ordered the service with the 5mb package. The installer show up, and start his work. As i go back to inspect the installation job, i realized that there's some taped cables. They had to put a extention on their cable cause they planned too short.

So the guy does it's thing, and it's all good. 5mb dn with 700+ms of pong.

The day after, big speed drops, VOIP wont work nor skype. Since there's a few cloud i decided to wait till i call to see if it fix itself.

2 days later after more than 18hrs downtime, i call. Ho lord. I never got such a useless tech rep on the line. He got trouble hearing me, cause of the VOIP that work on restricted ressource. We end up understanding each other, and diagnose the probleme i'm having. My router is slowing my connection. "hoarding" was the expression he used.

Have you ever experienced a router that swallowed all your BW? Me neither.

So after arguing with the guy that a router doesn't act as such and calling is bullshit out, he hang up. HE JUST HANGED UP. I was pissed and up for a fight. So i call back and the same guy take the call. After trying to know why he cutted the line (to wich i never got an answer) i asked to talk to a Supervisor. Nop, they wont let you talk to one. So, since he's clearly not gonna do something to help me, i asked to be forwarded to the service cancellation dept., and guess what happened? Yep, he hung up once again. That was enough.

So i call back, and go straight to customer service. I talk to a lady about the issue, and ask to get a tech to come and take their piece of garbage off my property. Guess what, i can hear the tech in the background, lol'ing, telling the customer rep to close the line, which she did.

2 calls later, i get the cancellation order but guess what, they came 3weeks after. But that wasn't the end of my misery with Xplornet. Because, THEY BILLED ME. 62$ off my bank account the next month. After a call at the bank, i got my money back.

Please, keep away from those guys. So sad our they got our taxes money to finance their service. This company wouldn't exist without it.

Comments:

Review by tannaberton See Profile

• Location: a6y7u8
Good "most everything has worked for three years or so"
Bad "VOIP is suddenly unavailable, I live in the country and now have no phone and they say it's my problem"
Overall "If you cannot have services you expect from experience they should not be in business"
Mail,DNS,News:

VOIP stopped working last week. I am a Bell Canada Troubleshooter and after replacing every piece of my equipment, they said it wasn't their problem so I guess god is up to his tricks again. At least I am better off than the Coupleanites but feel I need both a new god and a new ISP.

Never saw such a reaction to my request they fix my service but I have found out it was some service drop due to upgrades in their eqpt.

Cust svc says I am screwed so put up with what I have. I wonder if I can sue if something happens between the time they didn't tell me I was done as far as telephony was concerned and the time they decided not to tell me anything but the problem wasn't theirs. I am stuck here not far from town but bell aliant will not even hear of having dsl or fiberop for the 30 families living here. Hopefully they are going to fix it soon (just for me?) and we will VOIP as we used to...ha!

Comments:

Review by bluebaron2 See Profile

• Location: North of 44
Good "It's available in the sticks"
Bad "sporadic connection at times, and their equipment has failed two days after install."
Mail,DNS,News:

Not enough time with the service to make a final judgement yet.

member for 13.4 years, 6565 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dailyplanet See Profile

• Location: Colborne,ON
Good "Works as promised"
Bad "Iffy during heavy snow or when a cumulus cloud farts"
Overall "Expensive proposition but worth it to have high-speed"

·Cogeco Cable
==UPDATE==

Ditched them when my anniversary came and went in February,2008.

System failed on 26DEC08 leaving me and my business high and dry. Blamed it on weather in our area (it was cloudy and a few snow flurries but nothing major). Finally on the 27th of December, spent two hours on the phone with a tech who finally pronounced it DOA. Modem or dish-radio? No one knew.

They immediately tried to sell me another package or charge 150+ an hour to come out and fix it (of course, warranty was expired a full year before).

The dish is gone from the house and the wiring is torn out. Will never go that route again.
================================================================
$1099 for equipment and installation...yike!

$89.00 for "KaBoom" package - 1 meg down, 256 up.

Three computers networked. Last night (fairly heavy snow) was the first time we noticed a slow down.

Have not done any significant downloading, but what we have done has been at or close to advertised speed (my one speed test was 778K down, 214 up).

Comments:

Woodlane

KaBoom was a bomb

Next door neighbour upgraded from the old to the new Viasat HTS that I had installed in March. I did a speed check on their old sat (Kaboom package) and it crawled compared to the new sat. The new sat speed does vary regularly, but beats dialup and local wifi. I'm hoping to see cable or fibre here sometime in the next 100 years but until then sat is my only rural option. You can see my ongoing review here at DSLReports.

• Location: Shepody Albert Co,NB
Good "uhh...not much good"
Bad "terrible latency,overcrowded spotbeams..list is endless."
Overall "stick with dial up"
Mail,DNS,News:

Was originally on Hughesnet KU band and "had" to switch over to Viasat KA band by the end of April 2012. Cost remained the same at least and there was no charge for the "upgrade"

I paid for 1.5 down and 128 kb up and from the get go was not getting anywhere near half of that. Connection completely failed at the slightest hint of rain and was riduculously unreliable.

After banging my head against the wall with level 1 and 2 "techs" telling me I was "within parameters" I finally got fed up and emailed the president of Xplornet. Shocking but he actually replied and put me on to an engineer. He simply put me on another "beam" and

I get on average 1.4 down and 128 kbs up. In peak times no but they have covered their asses on that aspect.

There is no way you can access your Viasat Surbeam SM2100 modem any longer either. Would be nice to be able to view your SNR so at least you had a little ammunition when you called in to them.

My dish also went out of alignment not long ago..trying to get a "work order" for someone to come out is quite a chore..and cost me $20 to cover his fuel.

Service is so so...and still seems to be timing out from time to time as well.

(review was emailed from domain xplornet.com)

Comments:

Woodlane

K7G-2V6

Eastern Ontario appear to have better reception

We are on 'Beam 7'. Speed is unstable but frequently close to what I am paying for. Downtime totals about a day a month. Skype still works, but is not as clear since they changed how they deliver bandwidth in early July. Weather is usually not a problem here although it has gone out before satellite TV when there is a really heavy rainstorn and cloudcover coming from the west. Exede seems to be able to deliver better service over the same satellite for some reason. I always seem to read about problems with xPlornet wireless and satellite in New Brunswick.

lalaland

@198.254.213.x

Unresolved issues with xplornet must go through a mediator

Xplornet is registered with a mediator. If you cannot resolve issued with them, you must contact the Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services (CCTS)
»www.xplornet.com/legal/

CCTS is an agency independent of the telecommunications industry, whose mandate is to resolve complaints of individual and small business retail customers about their telecommunications services. If you have a complaint about your services, including local or long distance telephone service, wireless telephone service, or Internet service, you must first try to resolve it directly with your service provider. If you have done so and have been unable to reach a satisfactory resolution, CCTS may be able to help you, free of charge.

Review by frankmcranch

• Location: VOC-1
Mail,DNS,News:

I live in a rural area and have no phone line. My only option for
internet service is by satellite. I installed a dish for about $
1,000.00 and signed a contract with Explornet from Montreal. They have
now decided that the only way I can pay them is to give them my banking
or credit card info so they can take funds as they wish. I don't trust
them and don't want to do this. There are no other options. They did
allow you to pay by cheque in advance but have now discontinued that
option. Is this even legal? I know Finning Canada decided a few years
ago that handling cash was too much hassle so they started a policy of
cheques or plastic only no cash. Then they found out it was illegal and
had to reverse the policy. Legal tender must be accepted for all debts
public and private. Here is a copy of the email I received from them.

Good day Frank

Thank you for taking the time to email Xplornet and I apologize for the
delayed response.

Unfortunately, that method of payment is no longer available. Xplornet
customers have two pre-authorized payment options to pay for their
Internet service. Credit card or direct withdrawal from a bank account.
Pre-authorized payments are easy, convenient and help ensure that
there's never a late fee or missed payment.

We'll automatically withdraw the amount of your monthly bill from your
bank account or process the payment through your credit card on the
first (1st) of every month (the same day as your invoice date).

If you would like to change the method you are currently using, please
contact our Customer Care Team toll free at: 1-866-841-6001. We're
available 24/7 to assist you in updating your account.

Best regards,

Lisa B

Xplornet Support

1-866-841-6001

Fax: 1-866-485-4156

(review was emailed from domain xplornet.com)

Comments:

Fricka

@barrettxplore.com

payment options

I had 4 different Internet Providers in the last 10 years (Bell, Frontier, Reztel, Rogers) and they all had the same payment policies, either withdrawal from bank account or credit card. There is no other way for them to be sure to get their payment. You just have to trust them.

• Location: K0K3A
Good "Installation and speed"
Bad "nothing bad yet"
Overall "very satisfied"
Mail,DNS,News:

I had Xplornet 4G service installed 2 weeks ago, 1 year contract, 5Mbps. I know it's only 2 weeks but so far I am very happy with it. Installer did an excellent job installing the dish on our very high roof, very clean job. Speed is between 3-5Mbps. all day long, sometimes a little higher sometimes less, but never below 2.85Mbps. I am a very happy customer so far.

Over the past 10 years I had Bell dial-up, Frontier and Reztel broadband. Never achieved speeds higher than 1 Mbps. and rarely that. I also had Rogers Hub for 2 years. Never got any higher than 1 Mbps. I was frustrated. We live in the country near Belleville, Ontario, just 10minutes north of the 401. When I heard Xplornet 4G comes to this area, I signed up and so far have no complaints about them.

Thought I have to let you know something positive after reading all that negative stuff about Xplornet.

Fricka

(review was emailed from domain rogers.com)

Comments:

Annnoe

satellite

I have been on dialup forever, now awaiting installation from xplornet of their satellite, do you run out of gigs?

Jeffer71

join:2008-09-13
Carrying Place, ON
·Acanac

Re: satellite

It's usually not until after the first month ( when you're stuck in the contract) before the service starts going down the crapper.

I'm going to revisit your review in a month or so and see if it's still glowing...

Good Luck...You're going to need it!

Annnoe

@bell.ca
Well. I have 30 days to get out of it if I don't like the service, also I only signed up for a year.

Jeffer71

join:2008-09-13
Carrying Place, ON
·Acanac

Re: satellite

said by Annnoe :

I also opted for the higher cost per month and shorter contract. Mind you they tried like hell to get me to sign up for 3 years (thank god I didn't).

I think I lasted 7 months before I told them to come get their crap off my house and paid for the "early exit fee". Even then they still managed to hit me for a bogus charge claiming the installer couldn't find a piece of hardware. It was only 20 bucks or so and I begrudgingly gave it to them instead of wasting my precious time on hold with these schmucks.

My neighbors now have had the new 4g service for a couple months and loved it at first, but just like magic after the first month the speed halved and the ping times increased. They were also unaware of the 30 gig/month cap but that's their own fault. They are now paying 64.99 for up to 3.0 Mbps (really only 1.0 Mbps) with a 30 gig cap...Lol what a joke.

Mike W

@204.237.94.x

XXX plorenet

it sucks so bad i feel like i'm getting f'd out of my money. Can we please have a reliable provider to scugog island. What a waste worst than dial up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joanne

@cadvision.com

Rural areas

Who do you sign up with then in rural areas for internet & home phone & TV?

Xplornetuser

@xplornet.com

your complaining about which service?

Everyone is complaining about their service but they don't seem to have the 4G service so.. i have the kaboom service .. 1.5mb down 128kb up with a 50mb throttling per hr.

Yeah ... it sucks compared to the 7mb i had with bell before ... but i get what i signed up for... so im am surprised at how many people that complain about the speed... maybe it is the wireless vs satellite

anyway ... anyone else with experiences on the 4G satellite service from xplornet ??

K7G-2V6

Re: your complaining about which service?

I had the '4G' service installed here (Howe Island) in March. Skyped with family again today. Both times OK. You can see my review here on dslreports. I also have a Facebook page called 'woodlane.ca' that documents my experiences with this HTS service.
I am monitoring my connection 24/7 at » Testmy.net and ». ispgeeks.com for these first few months under the username 'Woodlane'.
On Facebook, I have a chart that compares your old xPlornet service to this new HTS service.....a world of difference!!!

gmk

Accounting Issues

I canceled my xplornet service on Feb 13/12. Not because we were totally unhappy with the quality but because we bundled with another provider. I emailed and phoned my cancellation in. I was told I would be receiving a credit for the balance of February. On March 1, they took a payment from my bank account. I have made 3 calls so far and I still am not getting anywhere with my refund and my credit. I ask to speak to a supervisor, they won't transfer me. I ask to speak to the accounting department, I'm told they can't be reached. No one can give me an answer of where my money is. So for a company that I would have switched back to, not anymore.