Xplornet page on DSLReports

Review by MiseoZao See Profile

Good "At least it isn't Dial-Up"
Bad "The False Advertising, Usage Based Billing, Support, Value, Latency, Everything"
Overall "1.1x the speed of dial up with 0.1x the reliability."
Mail,DNS,News:

I am writing this review while my hour long video is buffering, I am 20 minutes in to my waiting period so if the past is any indication it should be about 30-40 more minutes before I am safe to watch the video. I am going to give a frank, honest review of Xplornet. Don't get it. Seriously, it was the worst decision I have ever made. Not only is it potentially worse than the dial-up internet I had before, it costs twice as much and goes down every time a cloud floats over the house. Do not get this for on-line gaming. Do not get this for streaming. Do not get this for Skyping. Do not get this for downloading.They advertise 10Mb/s download and I am getting about 300Kbp/s for twice the advertised price. I could replace every single monkey working in their Tech Support, not that I would like to call it support. The only reason to get this internet is if you live out where no other ISP is available. Otherwise go with any other option. I am trapped now, but you still have a chance. That's how they make money, they trap people who live out in the country with their promises of real internet. I guarentee if any form of internet besides Xplornet and dial up were available to everyone in the world, Xplornet would be bankrupt.

Comments:

jsebean

join:2014-05-16
Canada
·Bell Aliant Regi..

Xplornet review reply

Is this the so called "4G" system they advertised? Around where I live, they only offer Telesat. Eastlink wireless canopy was ticking me off so I almost bought into it, but that I think would be insanely dumb. Luckily Bell Aliant just launched DSL and I'm just barely on the outer edge of it so I got that instead, glad I never got Xplornet. They don't have a cancellation grace period?

humanfilth

join:2013-02-14
cyber gutter

Re: Xplornet review reply

said by jsebean:

They don't have a cancellation grace period?

First 30 days of service has a no-cost-cancellation if not satisfied.
Problem is, there are many reports of manipulating the first (approximately)30 days of speed. Great speeds and no throttles, then kick the customer in the ballz and they get the same service as everyone else. 10Mbps could routinely be 5Mbps or 1.5Mbps. 7am to 2 am throttles for anything that is not time-sensitive(email, web pages with no video). On satellite, spot beam variables for data speed conditions.

4G is Viasat1. 4G is Hughesnet Echostar17.
Viasat2 and Echostar19 should be running in early 2017. Will be considered replacement satellites for the old Telesat AnikF2. Until the Canadian government announces a true replacement for the Anik F2 for the Canadian North.

300Kbps, probably the throttle for going over the hourly data limit.
Xplornet support will blame the customer for everything wrong with the connection. Xplornet never guarantees that the connection will be usable.

Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services
»www.ccts-cprst.ca/
Knowledge and curiosity are not crimes and those who are curious should not be treated like criminals.. »www.eff.org/https-everywhere

Review by doitall See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Equipment worked fine"
Bad "Awful throttling policy ,deceptive marketing policy"
Overall "Choose any other ISP else if you posibly can"

·Yourlink
They did a very good install , up time was excellent and for first 59 days all worked as advertised . Then from that day forward certain web addresses were always throttled , always , no monthly quota to worry about as they just always choke certain sites after your trail period .
It has taken 8 phone calls to get disconnected and I am still getting billed . I am mad as hell for letting myself get fooled again.

If you have any other options for an ISP try them first . Horrible company .

Comments:

Review by wbzial See Profile

• Location: Grand-Saint-Esprit,QC
Good "Prompt installation from dealer."
Bad "Everything went downhill the second the installer left the house"
Overall "Bad, really bad."
Mail,DNS,News:

My little story with Xplornet.

I live in rural Quebec. No other isp available, i'm writting this on dial-up.

So, back in July 2012, we ordered the service with the 5mb package. The installer show up, and start his work. As i go back to inspect the installation job, i realized that there's some taped cables. They had to put a extention on their cable cause they planned too short.

So the guy does it's thing, and it's all good. 5mb dn with 700+ms of pong.

The day after, big speed drops, VOIP wont work nor skype. Since there's a few cloud i decided to wait till i call to see if it fix itself.

2 days later after more than 18hrs downtime, i call. Ho lord. I never got such a useless tech rep on the line. He got trouble hearing me, cause of the VOIP that work on restricted ressource. We end up understanding each other, and diagnose the probleme i'm having. My router is slowing my connection. "hoarding" was the expression he used.

Have you ever experienced a router that swallowed all your BW? Me neither.

So after arguing with the guy that a router doesn't act as such and calling is bullshit out, he hang up. HE JUST HANGED UP. I was pissed and up for a fight. So i call back and the same guy take the call. After trying to know why he cutted the line (to wich i never got an answer) i asked to talk to a Supervisor. Nop, they wont let you talk to one. So, since he's clearly not gonna do something to help me, i asked to be forwarded to the service cancellation dept., and guess what happened? Yep, he hung up once again. That was enough.

So i call back, and go straight to customer service. I talk to a lady about the issue, and ask to get a tech to come and take their piece of garbage off my property. Guess what, i can hear the tech in the background, lol'ing, telling the customer rep to close the line, which she did.

2 calls later, i get the cancellation order but guess what, they came 3weeks after. But that wasn't the end of my misery with Xplornet. Because, THEY BILLED ME. 62$ off my bank account the next month. After a call at the bank, i got my money back.

Please, keep away from those guys. So sad our they got our taxes money to finance their service. This company wouldn't exist without it.

Comments:

Review by tannaberton See Profile

• Location: a6y7u8
Good "most everything has worked for three years or so"
Bad "VOIP is suddenly unavailable, I live in the country and now have no phone and they say it's my problem"
Overall "If you cannot have services you expect from experience they should not be in business"
Mail,DNS,News:

VOIP stopped working last week. I am a Bell Canada Troubleshooter and after replacing every piece of my equipment, they said it wasn't their problem so I guess god is up to his tricks again. At least I am better off than the Coupleanites but feel I need both a new god and a new ISP.

Never saw such a reaction to my request they fix my service but I have found out it was some service drop due to upgrades in their eqpt.

Cust svc says I am screwed so put up with what I have. I wonder if I can sue if something happens between the time they didn't tell me I was done as far as telephony was concerned and the time they decided not to tell me anything but the problem wasn't theirs. I am stuck here not far from town but bell aliant will not even hear of having dsl or fiberop for the 30 families living here. Hopefully they are going to fix it soon (just for me?) and we will VOIP as we used to...ha!

member for 2 years, 1 visits, last login: 2 years ago

Comments:

Review by bluebaron2 See Profile

• Location: North of 44
Good "It's available in the sticks"
Bad "sporadic connection at times, and their equipment has failed two days after install."
Mail,DNS,News:

Not enough time with the service to make a final judgement yet.

member for 13.8 years, 6760 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dailyplanet See Profile

• Location: Colborne,ON
Good "Works as promised"
Bad "Iffy during heavy snow or when a cumulus cloud farts"
Overall "Expensive proposition but worth it to have high-speed"

==UPDATE==

Ditched them when my anniversary came and went in February,2008.

System failed on 26DEC08 leaving me and my business high and dry. Blamed it on weather in our area (it was cloudy and a few snow flurries but nothing major). Finally on the 27th of December, spent two hours on the phone with a tech who finally pronounced it DOA. Modem or dish-radio? No one knew.

They immediately tried to sell me another package or charge 150+ an hour to come out and fix it (of course, warranty was expired a full year before).

The dish is gone from the house and the wiring is torn out. Will never go that route again.
================================================================
$1099 for equipment and installation...yike!

$89.00 for "KaBoom" package - 1 meg down, 256 up.

Three computers networked. Last night (fairly heavy snow) was the first time we noticed a slow down.

Have not done any significant downloading, but what we have done has been at or close to advertised speed (my one speed test was 778K down, 214 up).

Comments:

Woodlane

join:2012-06-02
K7G-2V6
·Xplornet

KaBoom was a bomb

Next door neighbour upgraded from the old to the new Viasat HTS that I had installed in March. I did a speed check on their old sat (Kaboom package) and it crawled compared to the new sat. The new sat speed does vary regularly, but beats dialup and local wifi. I'm hoping to see cable or fibre here sometime in the next 100 years but until then sat is my only rural option. You can see my ongoing review here at DSLReports.

• Location: Shepody Albert Co,NB
Good "uhh...not much good"
Bad "terrible latency,overcrowded spotbeams..list is endless."
Overall "stick with dial up"
Mail,DNS,News:

Was originally on Hughesnet KU band and "had" to switch over to Viasat KA band by the end of April 2012. Cost remained the same at least and there was no charge for the "upgrade"

I paid for 1.5 down and 128 kb up and from the get go was not getting anywhere near half of that. Connection completely failed at the slightest hint of rain and was riduculously unreliable.

After banging my head against the wall with level 1 and 2 "techs" telling me I was "within parameters" I finally got fed up and emailed the president of Xplornet. Shocking but he actually replied and put me on to an engineer. He simply put me on another "beam" and

I get on average 1.4 down and 128 kbs up. In peak times no but they have covered their asses on that aspect.

There is no way you can access your Viasat Surbeam SM2100 modem any longer either. Would be nice to be able to view your SNR so at least you had a little ammunition when you called in to them.

My dish also went out of alignment not long ago..trying to get a "work order" for someone to come out is quite a chore..and cost me $20 to cover his fuel.

Service is so so...and still seems to be timing out from time to time as well.

(review was emailed from domain xplornet.com)

Comments:

Woodlane

join:2012-06-02
K7G-2V6
·Xplornet

Eastern Ontario appear to have better reception

We are on 'Beam 7'. Speed is unstable but frequently close to what I am paying for. Downtime totals about a day a month. Skype still works, but is not as clear since they changed how they deliver bandwidth in early July. Weather is usually not a problem here although it has gone out before satellite TV when there is a really heavy rainstorn and cloudcover coming from the west. Exede seems to be able to deliver better service over the same satellite for some reason. I always seem to read about problems with xPlornet wireless and satellite in New Brunswick.

lalaland

@198.254.213.x

Unresolved issues with xplornet must go through a mediator

Xplornet is registered with a mediator. If you cannot resolve issued with them, you must contact the Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services (CCTS)
»www.xplornet.com/legal/

CCTS is an agency independent of the telecommunications industry, whose mandate is to resolve complaints of individual and small business retail customers about their telecommunications services. If you have a complaint about your services, including local or long distance telephone service, wireless telephone service, or Internet service, you must first try to resolve it directly with your service provider. If you have done so and have been unable to reach a satisfactory resolution, CCTS may be able to help you, free of charge.

Review by xploited See Profile

Good "Worked awesome for a month, higher than rated"
Bad "Network is total garbage"
Overall "Don't use Xplornet, ever - and definitely don't sign a multi-year contract"
Mail,DNS,News:

I live in rural Alberta. I signed up with Xplornet for terrestrial wireless 5mbs account ($90/mth) a few years ago when signs went up in my neighbourhood advertising a new ISP. I Googled their name and came across a lot of negative chat about their satellite service, but couldn't locate anything related to terrestrial wireless specifically.

My previous ISP was all but collapsing. They were using unlicensed frequencies with a Motorola system, and bandwidth had degraded to dialup speeds, so staying with them wasn't an option for me. I decided to try Xplornet. The installer assured me I had 30 days to try the connection out, and if it sucked I could cancel the contract and walk away.

The installer (and sign poster) was a local guy moonlighting, not a professional hired directly by Xplornet. Despite that, he did an efficient, quick job of the installation, but it should be noted that half of the infrastructure was already in place, he just had to swap the radio transmitter out and setup my account. The tower is 4km away, we have direct line of sight, and the receiver has never shown less than 5/5 lights.

For the first month I got astounding bandwidth. I signed up for 5mbs and was actually getting closer to 6mbs, so I was ecstatic because the contrast with my old ISP's performance was stark.

After that, it slowly degraded as more people were signed up, and I wasn't surprised at all. After a few months passed, I was unable to muster more than about 1mbps at any time of the day or night, often as slow as 0.5mbps for hours (10% of theoretical max). I could not watch a single YouTube or Netflix video without restreaming 5 times or more.

Numerous calls to Xplornet yielded all kinds of stories. One week it was a rogue player in my neighbourhood, another week it was a server in the backbone misbehaving. I followed up with each technician calls dutifully, and yet the speed never improved. I spent hours and hours working with them, I gave them every chance to correct the problem and was willing to help test solutions.

I tried all the usual things - powering everything off and on again. Disabling my firewalls, rechecking the modem status lights, wiring computer direct to transmitter, I upgraded the CAT5 cables between my machine and the transmitter, you name it, I did it. I followed every instruction the level 1 & 2 techs gave.

The ping times to my gateway (the first hop after my machine) have degraded to the 200ms range, and packet loss is approaching 10%. When I complained to Xplorenet about this, I received a snarky reply saying that the operating parameters for the system are "up to 200ms" and so they would take no corrective action. This effectively renders the system useless for gaming or any other realtime purposes. Remember, this is not satellite, and in the beginning ping times to gateway (not the internet) were always 20ms.

Here's the bottom line: Xplornet does not have a minimum bandwidth or service level.

No matter what package you pay for, they will not correct low bandwidth issues no matter how much you complain to them. Half of the techs I talked to were useless (one had no idea what a "ping" was) and the other half just gave me a verbal shrug when we'd exhausted all the possibilities and delivered me a canned line about not guaranteeing bandwidth.

The gateway ping issue is likely caused by oversubscription - they have oversold the tower in my area and now will not correct the situation. I asked when they will be fixing the problem and they stated that they "hoped" enough people would move to the new 4G satellite system to bring the loads down, but they wouldn't commit to anything. Downgrading to a lower package would not help - even at the lowest package I would not be getting anything like what I was paying for.

Do not sign up with Xplorenet.

They oversubscribe to maximize profits, and when your connection degrades to uselessness, they will laugh in your face and do nothing. Tech support is non-existant, a bunch of kids on the other end of a phone who aren't empowered to do more than read steps from a list to you.

That they can sell a package and fail to deliver any more than 10% of the service should be considered fraud, but currently is not. There are no laws against this in Canada. I feel bad for the rural municipalities who have invited Xplornet in to provide internet services, and inevitably find out how poor the service actually is. Let's hope the government of Canada wakes up and does something about this practice soon.

When my contract is up I will be leaving Xplornet and never looking back. I warn anyone and everyone I can away from their service, to save them the headaches I have experienced.

Comments:

Review by NorthCowgirl See Profile

Bad "Xplornet is slow, unreliable and they continue to bill you after you've cancelled service"

Just got off the phone with Willard at Xplornet's Fredericton Customer
Service Department about overbilling. Simply put, we called them to let
them know we were moving and would no longer be using their services. They
have continued to withdraw $62.14 from our bank account and they refused to
stop billing us based on our telling them we were moving. They insisted
that as we did not call to "cancel" the service but only told them we were
moving, that they were entitled to continue to bill us. Xplornet claims
that as they did not issue a cancellation number, that the service was not
cancelled. Amazingly, when we contacted Bell, Hydro One, etc, they were
all able to grasp that when a customer moves, it is time to do a final
reading and close the account.

We have moved to another city and are happily using Cogeco's internet
service.

The first call to Xplornet resulted in Willard placing us on hold and then
disconnecting us. Our second call to Willard was with the intention of
speaking to his supervisor. Willard claimed that he was able to handle
this and flatly refused to pass us up to the Supervisor despite repeated
requests. Willard refused to give me his last name or his employee #.

We ended the service effective November 3, 2011; they withdrew $62.14 from
our bank account on November 10, 2011; I called Xplornet on November 15, 2011
and asked for a refund of the overpayment which they steadfastly refuse to do so.
During the conversation, it became clear that if I did not state to cancel
the service, that they would continue to bill us. I can't believe how
short-sighted and cavalier Xplornet is.

As an aside, we were often dissatisfied with Xplornet's service. They
charge $62.14 per month for their upgraded service which is barely faster
than dial up plus we were having frequent problems with their Surfbeam
Modem and were without service days at a time. If you live in the country
as we did, I would strongly suggest you use Rogers or Bell's service and steer clear
of Xplornet.

member for 3 years, 0 visits, last login: 3 years ago

Comments:

Review by steveleach See Profile

• Location: Cobourg,ON
Good "Nothing."
Bad "Signal, reliability, speed, customer service."
Overall "Pathetic."

·RuralWave
I assumed the lease from the previous owner of our home. I complained to Xplornet from Day 1 that it was too slow, and completely unusable, especially for uploading. After 2 months, I finally cancelled and went with Rogers Turbo Hub (which is excellent). Xplornet wants their $450 cancellation fee and is threatening to send my file to a collection agency. I plan to take legal action.

Their contract states they will make a "reasonable effort" to improve my service. They did not do that.

Stay away from this company - they are heavy-handed, unprofessional, and their service stinks.