Cingular Wireless page on DSLReports

Review by NetFixer See Profile

• Location: Murfreesboro,Rutherford,TN
Good "Good coverage most places, and 3G is available here."
Bad "A free 3G Microcell should be automatic if you live in a poor reception area."
Overall "Reliable service most places, but unfortunately not in my home/office."

·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
I am not a new AT&T/Cingular user, I have used their cell phone service (and prior to that their pager service) since they were called BellSouth Mobility in this part of the country.

I had not previously done a review because the GPRS data service I had was for emergency use only if I could not find a WiFi hotspot when on the road (and I did not use it very often). Several weeks ago, I traded in my GSM/GPRS handsets for a pair of GSM/UMTS/HSDPA/EDGE handsets, so at least in the three cities where 3G is available in this area, I no longer have to search for a hotspot if I need to do something more than just check email status. Even the EDGE service is better than I expected in the (large) areas where 3G is not available than I had expected it to be.

I typically seem to get ~250-300 kbps down in 3G areas, and ~80-100 kbps down in EDGE areas. Definitely better than the ~20-24 kbps I used to get with GPRS.

3G Update:

I had to go to Huntsville today, and I forgot my external Bluetooth adapter, so I had to use the USB direct connect cable to connect to my notebook. I discovered that with the direct connection, I got ~1.3-1.4 mbps down. Guess I will need to start looking for a new USB Bluetooth adaptor.

Update 05/18/2009:

I recently added another 3G phone to my plan to take over a business number that I had to port from AT&T CallVantage since they are shutting down that service. The only problem was with CallVantage initially refusing to allow the number port, and then dragging their feet even after an AT&T Wireless manager raised hell and forced them to release the number.

Recent upgrades to the service here now provides me with good connectivity in my home/office and that has allowed me to now use only cell phones. No "landlines" at all, not even VoIP. That will likely change for financial reasons (unlimited calling from my home/office will mean that I can cut back on the minutes in my calling plan) if/when AT&T Wireless actually starts marketing their MicroCell service, but for now everything is over the air and working great.

Update 06/13/2010:

Not much really to report, but the DSLR update robot is bugging me to update my older reviews.

I did just get a new handset to replace one that I mangled by dropping a Cisco 3800 series router on its keyboard. It is the Samsung Impression with a bigger screen than the old Samsung Sync (I can actually use it for reading email and limited web surfing, and its QWERTY keyboard also helps if I have to reply to an email). It also has GPS for running mapping apps (although I have not had a chance yet to test it out in the boonies to see if it can actually replace paper USGS topo maps). Another plus is that its Bluetooth interface is faster (I have gotten up to 2 mbps downstream data rates on the new phone).

On the downside, I am still waiting for AT&T to actually make their MicroCell product available in this area as a backup for tower problems (which has happened twice in the past year).

Update: 05/17/2011:

Numerous problems connecting to the tower nearest to my home/office lately, and my Zboost repeater is not much help there, because it just can not get a good signal from towers further away. The 3G Microcell is now available in my area, but AT&T is not interested in providing a free one (or even a discounted one), and I am not going to pay $200 for something that may not work anyway (especially since I am planning on dumping AT&T, and I don't want to initiate another 2 year contract).

Last week I ported my business number from AT&T Wireless to Vonage (partly because I needed to have a reliable connection, and partly because I just no longer want to do any business with AT&T). There were the usual delaying tactics from AT&T, but eventually they relented and allowed the number transfer to Vonage. The new Vonage line is working fine (as expected).

One down, and two to go AT&T (&*%#@ ETFs).

Update 01/01/2012:

Nothing much new to report, but the DSLR update bot is bugging me for a new review.

I am still using AT&T Mobility as my cell phone service because I still have time left on my contract (ETFs suck). Recent changes in the way that AT&T uses their spectrum (they migrated 3G service from 850 mhz to 1900 mhz) made my old 850 mhz Zboost repeater useless. Since AT&T still did not make a free (or discounted) 3G MicroCell available to me, I was forced to invest in a dual band repeater in order to have cell phone coverage at my home/office location. The bright side is that the new repeater will still be useful when I migrate to another carrier (and with the apparent demise of the AT&T assimilation of T-Mobile, my choice for a new carrier has been improved).

Update: 08/12/2012:

The DSLR update bot is bugging me for a new review so here it is:

Nothing much new to report; I am still using the same Samsung 3G cell phones and the same zBoost repeater. I would still like to dump AT&T when my ETF period expires in a few months (for personal/political reasons, not because of poor service), but after checking the T-Mobile coverage maps (and talking to a few local T-Mobile users), their lack of coverage outside larger metropolitan areas takes T-Mobile off of my list of potential new carriers. The only other provider with reasonable rural area coverage appears to be Verizon, and their reputation for billing problems and strict rules on such things as tethering make them as unpalatable a choice for me as AT&T.

Update: 09/06/2012:

Well, despite my stated prior plans to dump AT&T, I just transfered my business number from Vonage to AT&T Mobility as another line in my Family plan. Fortunately since I was able to reactivate an unused Samsung Solstice II phone, there is no new contract commitment, and the only extra setup cost was $6 for a new SIMM card. I can still use that line as a desk phone via a bluetooth link to my GE DECT phone system, and it can also function as a bluetooth tethered backup Internet connection if needed, so it is more versatile than when it was a Vonage line.

Update: 10/15/2012:

After experiencing frequent compatibility problems between my dual band zBoost repeater and the Samsung Solstice II phone that I was using for the recently ported number from Vonage (and a billing problem related to activating that number that really pissed me off), I ported my old business number back to Vonage (their $9.99 for life retention plan). My only other choice would have been to purchase another cell phone (and hoping that it did not have problems using my zBoost repeater).

DSLR nag bot update 08/23/2013:

The DSLR nag bot is asking for a review update, so here it is:

I currently have two AT&T phones in service, and except for the crappy signal at my home/office that requires me to use a zBoost repeater with an external mast mounted antenna, I have no major complaints with the service.

My only current complaint is that my favorite phone (the Samsung Impression) went belly up the first of the year, and I am now using a Samsung Solstice II which is a poor substitute (and is also showing signs of impending doom). I really don't want to have to get a "smart" phone because of the crappy and expensive data plans that AT&T requires for "smart" phones (I currently have an "unlimited" data plan for $14.95/month), but AT&T doesn't seem to offer any large screen "feature" phones these days (and my poor eyesight makes the use of a typical smaller screen "flip" phone difficult).

Update 12/18/2013:

My Samsung Solstice II finally became so unreliable that I had to get another phone. And since both the primary and secondary batteries for my wife's Samsung Sync were about to go belly up (and she wanted a phone with a larger screen), I got two Pantech Renue touch screen feature phones from Walmart and converted my plan into a Mobile Share 300MB plan. That plan change reduced my monthly bill from $135 to $95.

So far, except for really poor battery life in the phones, the new phones and the new plan are working well (and since the phone uses relatively inexpensive easily replaceable batteries, the poor battery life has not yet been a problem). Since neither myself nor my wife are addicted to Facebook, Twitter, or other Internet time/bandwidth wasters, the 300MB shared data plan has been more than sufficient; an occasional email check or a Yellow Pages look up doesn't use much bandwidth (since I retired from being a road warrior, I haven't used more than 100MB per month on my cell phone data plan).

Update 03/10/2014:

The end times must be rapidly approaching; AT&T has lowered my monthly cell phone bill again. Last month I was notified that there were new price plans available for the Mobile Share plan; I could either select a plan with more data for the same price I was paying, or keep the same plan and save $20 per month. I chose to lower the monthly payment, and the new bill that was just posted did indeed lower my monthly payment from $95 to $74.

Thanks, T-Mobile...I guess that even a small amount of competition really does make a difference.

member for 10.1 years, 5757 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
alrandolph

join:2004-07-11
Jersey City, NJ

Poor reception on phone

If you are not on contract with AT&T consider switching to a MNVO or AT&T Gophone.
Look at H2O Wireless, they have a family plan, Straighttalk/Net10, Airvoice or even RedPocket.

How is 4G in your area, You will get better speeds with 4G. consider upgrading your phones maybe an $100 Windows 8 phone the Lumia 520 or a low cost android phone.

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

Re: Poor reception on phone

Thanks for the tips, but my poor reception is due to building construction, not problems with a specific cell phone provider. Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon users also usually need to go outdoors to use their cell phones reliably (unless they are visiting me and can use my zBoost repeater, or live on an upper floor with their balcony glass doors facing their provider's tower). The RF blocking also affects WiFi (which is mostly a benefit, since it helps reduce interference between neighbors).

As for 4G vs 3G, I use my cell phones primarily as phones; Internet access is a seldom used function now that I am retired and no longer a road warrior.
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

Review by a333 See Profile

• Location: Rego Park,Queens,NY
Good "Decent 3G, good call quality, some very nice phones"
Bad "Branded firmware is a pain in the *ss until you debrand.. see below"
Overall "Good service overall"

·T-Mobile US
·Verizon Online DSL
I've had AT&T Wireless since June 2008, so I thought it is about time I reviewed it. My first phone was a Sony Ericsson z750a, on an individual plan. It was a good phone, and also doubled as a nice mp3 player, coupled with a headset and memory card. Call quality has always been fairly decent here in the NYC metro area. I don't remember the last time I got a dropped call, although I have occasionally gotten "network busy" messages down in the lower Manhattan/Greenwitch Village area. However, they are few and far in between.

Fast forward to end of August 2009, I got a new phone when the rest of the family switched to AT&T (My old Sony Ericsson had been stolen in May, and I was using a GoPhone activated on my account in the meantime). This time it was a Sony Ericsson w518a. It has a host of good specs/features, including camera, bluetooth, aGPS, Tri-band 3G, accelerometer, and gesture control. I also got the $15/month Data Unlimited package (discounted to $10 with a bit of social engineering). However, it became apparent that AT&T's default firmware was just too crippling for my needs. For example, the default email client couldn't be configured with push email. Unsigned Java apps were a pain to run, as they asked for permission to use data every few seconds. I therefore "debranded" the phone (i.e. reflashed it to Sony Ericsson's default firmware). However, since the only available non-branded firmware for this phone is the non-aGPS European w508 firmware, I lost GPS functionality. However, the phone is now significantly more responsive. I can get RSS feeds scrolling across the home screen. There are a host of actually useful apps, like a nifty little Youtube app that also allows uploading of videos. The email client can send picture and video attachments. Also, the push email is a big feature for me, along with the ability to install unsigned Java apps without headaches. Along with that, I can finally choose between GSM-only, and GSM/3G modes (this really helps battery life FYI), and also force my phone to roam on different GSM networks. Finally, I appreciate an interface that isn't cluttered with useless AT&T walled garden applications.

As to the 3G service itself, occasional tethering via bluetooth has yielded speeds of about 800-900 Kbit downstream and about 160 Kbit upstream, with latencies hovering around 200-350 ms. (Note: Do this only sparingly, as tethering is technically against the TOS on the Data Unlimited plan.) Speed tests from the default mobile browser usually return roughly 400-700 Kbit download. I am sure the tethering numbers improve a LOT when using USB, but haven't configured USB tethering yet.

Coverage-wise, 3G coverage is pretty much everywhere in the aggressively built out NYC area, although I might occasionally drop 3G for a moment of two. Youtube videos stream pretty smoothly, and downloads/page loads are very good for a mobile connection.

To sum it up: If you're an AT&T customer who owns a Sony Ericsson phone and actually wants to use the data plan they're paying for, DEBRAND!! The benefits far outweigh the disadvantages. However, proceed carefully, as flashing the wrong files may very well turn your phone into a very expensive brick. These links are a good start for those interested:

»www.howardforums.com/showthread.···10136377

The files I used for my w518a:

1) W508_R1EA030_FS_APAC-ANZ_RED53.fbn

2) W508_R1EA030_MAIN_GENERIC_BR_RED53.mbn

3) C905_1209-4780_R7A_GENERIC_APAC-ANZ

A Google search for these files should lead you to the appropriate instructions/sources of said files.

-a333

Speed tests done on USB (finally):

»www.speedtest.net/result/583631792.png

UPDATE (06/14/10) :

Well, time has passed and for my last birthday parents decided to treat me to an iPhone (3GS). Though it's true I didn't wait for the 4th gen model, I'm kind of happy I didn't especially given the new data plans new sign-ups are being forced into. In any case, the switchover was smooth, with the only change being the data plan, which now is the standard $30/month iPhone unlimited data plan. Not much has changed in terms of speeds.. in fact I think I'm currently getting better speeds around my home that I was with my Sony Ericsson. I haven't managed to get tethering fully up and running though... will post a few speedtests from my laptop when I do. Based on Ookla speedtest app though, I have been getting ~ 1.2 Mbps down and ! 200 - 240 Kbps upstream in my local neighborhood, and have gotten roughly ~ 2.1 Mbit/s down and 250 Kbit/s up, with downstream bursts up to 4 Mbit/s, when I'm in and around Lower Manhattan (Battery Park / Greenwich Village area). Sometimes the 3G is a tad bit erratic though, especially inside my high school building.. (yay for ssh-ing into my CS lab from the bathroom and crashing half the computers remotely ... =) ), but for the most part, I have had few of the widely reported 3G issues that AT&T users in NYC have been experiencing. Then again, I don't frequent the much-busier midtown Manhattan area too often, where there might be issues, but then again, I don't expect more, given the limited nature of AT&T's 3G spectrum (unless AT&T starts DRASTICALLY reducing cell sizes and increases frequency re-use).

UPDATE 08/06/2012: Well, in the last two years, it seems my needs have outgrown the service AT&T can provide... latencies and jitter on its network have become far too inconsistent (it's also probably the fact that I now frequent the Downtown Brooklyn area a lot, and AT&T service there is not quite as consistent, especially during peak hours.) I have switched to T-mobile's Monthly4G service for the past few months, after getting a Nokia handset that can use both AT&T and T-mobile's 3G service, and I have to say, the differences in latency on the two networks is very noticeable (read my review for more details.)

Comments:

Review by inteller See Profile

• Location: Tulsa,Tulsa,OK
Good "Its Cingular, WCDMA/HSDPA goodness"
Bad "they have too many cool phones that I want."
Overall "Better than Spent, Verlozen, and Awwhell!"

I am a reformed CDMA fan boy. Then one day I started reading that the only countries with major CDMA installations were the US and Korea. Sorry, but I want to talk with the rest of the world when I travel.

EDIT 3-30-12: I'm getting the fck out of here...Sprint, ATT, Verizon....you are ALL crooks. I'm going to Straight Talk for $45 unlimited everything....and so should you. STOP locking yourself into contracts...its a scam with the now forced data plans.

member for 10.7 years, 869 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ktekale See Profile

• Location: 08854-3120
Good "GSM"
Bad "Too many to list here"
Overall "If you need GSM phones, you are out of luck"

After being a Verizon Wireless Subscriber for almost 50 months, I made the unfortunate mistake of switching over to Cingular Wireless... The network with the most dropped calls...

I work and stay in NJ. I can not make a call from Newark Airport/ Shopping Malls in NJ/Costco stores in NJ. I can not make calls from the freeway.

AT&T is consistently bad - stay away - iPhone or no iPhone

Comments:

Review by exocet_cm See Profile

• Location: New Orleans,Orleans,LA
Good "N/A"
Bad "N/A"
Overall "N/A"

This is an old review and I'll be updating it shortly.

member for 11.4 years, 5961 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Landin_CH See Profile

• Location: Fredericksburg,Spotsylvania,VA
Good "available almost everywhere"
Bad "sometimes connects as G3 but then drops to EDGE"
Overall "Seems like a good alternative to fixed internet access."

FEB 2009 - Fredericksburg and most of Spotsylvania now 3G ... and working. Up and download speeds correct, unlike that fluke in Crystal City which is still reversed (AT&T ticket still open on that one).

03JAN2009 ... taking a few days off to catch a breather before inauguration ... my SW AC881U 3G MobileBroadband(HSI) card is working out just fine ... have it locked to 3G ONLY and so it either connects or doesn't ... with some exceptions (where upload and download speeds are reversed (400kbps down and 1.5Mbps up, as in around US1&12th St (Crystall City), Arlington, VA). 3G coverage has not only increased but improved, as well, it seems. Anyhow, got as high as 2GB on my monthly "limit" when I ran internet radio in background ... still having a good time over-the-road and on-line.

04SEP2008 ... writing from Baton Rouge LA, where I have been for a few days with the Hurricane Gustav Bus Evacuation operations ... 3G has been working all along whereas my Nextel has not really been stable anywhere. No issues going online almost anywhere I went or needed to. Can't say the same for my issued Nextel! Lost of No Service or just can't connect. Same after Katrina, handed my Cingular phone around for Red Cross and Urban Search and Rescue so they can call out. Great Job, BTW.

= [ Original Review ] =

AT&T 3G GSM/AT&T Mobility/Cingular Wireless/AT&T Wireless = HSI on the go

Visited several provider stores, talked to users I know, read online reviews, etc. prior to actually ordering service (3-day full-refund cancellations). Tried several mobile broadband cards and providers and settled on AT&T (Cingular) 3G MobileHSI and SierraWireless USBConnect 881 broadband card. 3G with one or two bars faster than EDGE with four bars ... but wanted to check mail (often), surf internet when needed, download construction and/or traffic updates to my hpTX2110 when travelling througout the Lower-48 and Canada. Although I have signed up for unlimited internet, understand (artificial/in-house/realistic) limit may be 5Gigs/month.

Have CavTel.Net DSL in Fredericksburg, VA and Wi-Fi capabilities, too, but really like the independence of mobile broadband.

member for 11.5 years, 1046 visits, last login: 1.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by Jared See Profile

• Location: Abbeville,Vermilion,LA
Good "Excellent coverage, excellent speed, and incredible online interface."
Bad "Customer support is slow."
Overall "Best wireless company out there!"

I was with Cingular for a few years before AT&T merged. Now, service is still great, but not AS great.

Pros:
+ Excellent coverage (I get AT&T nearly EVERYWHERE I go!)
+ Incredible wireless Internet speeds (ever on EXTENDED! [because we don't have 3G here..])
+ Easy to use online interface for managing your account
+ Convenient billing process
+ Getting better everyday..

Cons:
- Customer service is terrible!
- We can't get 3G service.. and they said they are not planning 3G in our area.

My review:

The only bad things I do not like about our new service is the pricing plans and the customer service, as well as the fact they don't want to offer 3G in our area. Anyways, ever since AT&T merged with Cingular, customer service has gone downhill, while my bill was going uphill instead. I used to pay $70/month for an individual line.. now I pay nearly $110/month because they raised the data and text messaging pricing plans.

The good points are the coverage, wireless Internet speeds, and the easy-to-use online interface. This is what has kept me from switching to Verizon. (aside from my contract..) I can get service nearly anywhere in our area, (just ONE spot is a dead zone, but we're in a rural area) which is a MAJOR gain for AT&T. Additionally, the wireless Internet speeds (counting the extended, since that's all I can get here) are quite incredible for what I'm paying for.

I don't have much to review now.. maybe I'll add more when 3G is finally activated in our area.

Thanks for reading.

Comments:

Review by Grentz See Profile

• Location: Waconia,Carver,MN
Good "Great Coverage, Great Online Control, Good CS, 3G speed is awesome"
Bad "Typical Cell Phone company expensive handsets if not signing contract"
Overall "Best Cell Company IMO"

I have used a laptop card from AT&T Wireless (cingular) for a few months and the service is very good in the Twin Cities, MN area. The 3G speeds are great and very comparable to a 512k DSL connection which is great for surfing the internet/email/etc.

The online account management is all very slick and customer service is very good in my experience (also have my cell phones through ATT Wireless).

The monthly cost is the deal breaker for me, and thus I have stopped my subscription, but this is a limitation of any provider as they are all at the $59.99 mark for unlimited usage on a PC Card. It is great for travelers and road warriors though and nice not having to try and find a wifi connection in a pinch.

Comments:

Review by alrandolph See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "No dropped calls, no network busy issues"
Bad "Data plan are too expensive"
Overall "Always get 4 or 5 bars, no matter where I am"

·Verizon Online DSL
Been with Att Wireless since Dec.99, Migrated to Cingular like 2.5 years ago to convert to a family plan. No issues with dropped calls or with Network busy for a very long time, so I am happy with my service... I just wish they would drop the prices for their Data Services they charge way too much money for them

Have a Corp FAN account so that saves me 13% off my monthly bill as well I have 2 separate lines that were on a family plan. Both lines are the 450 min ones.

Update 1/31/09

upgrade last month to the 1400 voice plan with 2 shared lines we were running over the 700 mins just about every month. No complaints other than not being able to make calls in certain Subway stations
and in the Metro in Wash, DC.,

member for 10.1 years, 2567 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by rlj42149 See Profile

• Location: Austin,Hays,TX
Good "not sure, there has to be something."
Bad "poor customer service at best, dropped calls, warranty sucks"
Overall "I'm changing companies real soon. Was too lazy to do it til now."

I have been with these guys for over 9 years. about a year ago I complained that i was dropping calls and the battery on the Nokia I had was requiring a charge every day.

The answer was that since I had warranty on the phone that I paid extra for, that I send it to them and they would send me a "brand new Nokia 6555". I figured ok, I'll give it a try. Almost immediately after I got the phone, like within a week, the phone decided it would just shut off.

I called about it and after arguing with some Indian lady in the call center for a couple of hours I finally got them to send me a replacement. You guessed it. The same phone. Now it is not because I didn't protest about the same phone. I did. That was all they would let me have. Not the previous model phone I had, but my only choice the same phone.

Here we go again. Same thing with the same phone.

My options are to sign a "new 2 year contract" or go back to the warranty department. Warranty it will be.

I'm not signing anything or agreeing to any such thing since they promised me service and a working phone and did not deliver. Same song and dance.

I did get them to agree to send me a different phone. However, when I looked at phone scoop and cnet to find out about it the model they wanted to send was more problematic than the one I had. I stuck with a replacement hoping that it will work better.

They are not interested in keeping customers, just keeping the customers money. If I pulled my accounts with them now, they will try to charge me over $550. Looking into this with an attorney since they did not provide the stated services. I have to uphold my end of the contract but they don't have to proved the services apparently.

You don't send the same broken phone to somebody over and over claiming it is all you can do. That is the perfect example of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Even with a good phone, lots of dropped calls and messages that mysteriously disappear or show up DAYS later.

I'm gone. It's just a matterr of time.