Cingular Wireless page on DSLReports

Review by ktekale See Profile

• Location: 08854-3120
Good "GSM"
Bad "Too many to list here"
Overall "If you need GSM phones, you are out of luck"

After being a Verizon Wireless Subscriber for almost 50 months, I made the unfortunate mistake of switching over to Cingular Wireless... The network with the most dropped calls...

I work and stay in NJ. I can not make a call from Newark Airport/ Shopping Malls in NJ/Costco stores in NJ. I can not make calls from the freeway.

AT&T is consistently bad - stay away - iPhone or no iPhone

Comments:

Review by rlj42149 See Profile

• Location: Austin,Hays,TX
Good "not sure, there has to be something."
Bad "poor customer service at best, dropped calls, warranty sucks"
Overall "I'm changing companies real soon. Was too lazy to do it til now."

I have been with these guys for over 9 years. about a year ago I complained that i was dropping calls and the battery on the Nokia I had was requiring a charge every day.

The answer was that since I had warranty on the phone that I paid extra for, that I send it to them and they would send me a "brand new Nokia 6555". I figured ok, I'll give it a try. Almost immediately after I got the phone, like within a week, the phone decided it would just shut off.

I called about it and after arguing with some Indian lady in the call center for a couple of hours I finally got them to send me a replacement. You guessed it. The same phone. Now it is not because I didn't protest about the same phone. I did. That was all they would let me have. Not the previous model phone I had, but my only choice the same phone.

Here we go again. Same thing with the same phone.

My options are to sign a "new 2 year contract" or go back to the warranty department. Warranty it will be.

I'm not signing anything or agreeing to any such thing since they promised me service and a working phone and did not deliver. Same song and dance.

I did get them to agree to send me a different phone. However, when I looked at phone scoop and cnet to find out about it the model they wanted to send was more problematic than the one I had. I stuck with a replacement hoping that it will work better.

They are not interested in keeping customers, just keeping the customers money. If I pulled my accounts with them now, they will try to charge me over $550. Looking into this with an attorney since they did not provide the stated services. I have to uphold my end of the contract but they don't have to proved the services apparently.

You don't send the same broken phone to somebody over and over claiming it is all you can do. That is the perfect example of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Even with a good phone, lots of dropped calls and messages that mysteriously disappear or show up DAYS later.

I'm gone. It's just a matterr of time.

Comments:

Review by jmikey See Profile

• Location: Springfield,Greene,MO
Good "I like the mobility"
Bad "Over congestion can cause bad speed drops and data loss"
Overall "They need to update to higher speeds and new tower nodes"

·Mediacom
I couldn't get DSL out here because I am in a rural area and cable is only good if you bundle. I took the 881USB Air card because it is all I can get here. Speeds are usually good except when the nodes are congested. The mobility is fantastic, but the sales rep lied to me about the rebate on the card, she said I would get a Visa worth for $100.00 when the card arrived, well that didn't happen. After over a month and several calls I finally got them to send me the form to fill out, now they are saying it will take up to 12 weeks to get it back, that wasn't the deal because I told the rep I couldn't afford the 99 dollar charge for the card on my bill. I told her right off that I needed something that I could use full time for broadband since I am home bound so she told me that with the Unlimited MB package I could stay on 24/7 with no extra charges. Well, so far no overage charges with the 5 GB soft cap she failed to mention to me.She also said they would drop the 35 dollar activation fee, well that was a lie too.

Over all the card itself is great, but AT&T will lie through their teeth just to get you to take it. There should be a law somewhere against that.

member for 8.8 years, 1969 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by armyvet See Profile

• Location: Owensboro,Daviess,KY
Good "non since att take over"
Bad "att take over"
Overall "after 16 yrs i am about ready to leave"

if you are thinking of
switching to att wait untill the bugs have been worked out,
i have had to call tech support more in the 10 days then i ever
called cingular in 16 yrs. stay away for now.

since my last review this service just keep getting worse

as off 4/28/08 i'm gone, ported to alltel, should have done this
a long time ago. BUYER BEWARE OF ATT

Comments:

Review by obricko See Profile

• Location: Westland,Wayne,MI
Good "Cost of Express card (USB)"
Bad "Speed, monthly fees"
Overall "slow speeds for 3G"

I used this broadband card for about a month and was never pleased with the speeds I received. Seemed to equal dial-up speeds. USB modem would take about 3-5 time of inserting and removing before the connection manager would recognize it and connect. I have recently switched to sprint wireless broadband and have been very satisfied with the speeds which seem to be at least 3 times faster than that of AT&T.

Comments:

Review by MoJeeper See Profile

• Location: Springfield,Greene,MO
Good "Highly Portable"
Bad "Pricey"
Overall "Beats Dial-up"

Checked in to Hughes-Net way over priced, Wild Blue was oversold at the time and We have too many tall trees between our Location and the closest WISP tower, which would have mandated a some sort of a tower and more added expenses.

So checked into Cingular as we have their Cell service already. So far very happy with the service only getting EDGE speeds at this time but when compared to ATT-Yahoo Dial-up which on a sunny day with the wind from the south we might get a 26.4 kbps connection.

As this this was the cheapest less hassle option for us to connect with semi Broadband speeds it is worth the money.

Sold the Cards on Ebay and Went with AllTel

member for 13.9 years, 2284 visits, last login: 2.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by MrChupacabra See Profile

• Location: Florida
Good "Access where ever there is cell service"
Bad "Latency is a pain, cost is high for the overall speed"
Overall "You pay for the convience."

The connection isn't great but it isn't horrid.

It serves the need I have for the time being and is fine for most web browsing, email, ect.

Try to play games on it, and it bites a bit. Downloads really bite cause of the latency.

Comments:

Review by general125 See Profile

• Location: Fort Worth,Tarrant,TX
Good "get on the internet anywhere"
Bad "reliability is questionable, can't get high speed 3G from the house in Fort Worth, TX"
Overall "Not worth the price when the network switches from 3G to 2G constantly"

My cingular service gets one to two bars on the 3G service from my house. The 3G service isn't that fast to begin with, but when it switches networks, everything stops. I can't stand the service and I'm going to eat the $175 cancellation fee.

Comments:

Review by njvictor See Profile

• Location: Brick,Ocean,NJ
Good "is there any"
Bad " THE MOST DROPPED CALLS"
Overall "see above,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"

THE MOST DROPPED CALL ARE CURRENTLY LOCATED ..... have more, post it,, so we know that we are not alone . I am asking the pubilc to begin marking the territoy,,, I'm tired of hearing from AT&T ,,, that only the "Name-changed" ,,, funny how since the change over customers who have been paying $$$ money for services, can no longer use them,, the name may have changed, but they still havent turned on all the towers,,,, to accept Cingulars network...

4 months later going on,, still dropped calls, current ratio 35%

** My facts reflect my Cell phone bills of constant dropped calls, I ask of those who respond to be honest,, about the accuracey / locations of this problem that is in denyal from ATT.. do not lie about the issues or locations.. *****

( this info may be needed by a law firm who might be intrested in this case,, )

Refurbished equiptment thought,, If you bought a new product and it's less than a year old, why would you have to accept "USED" equiptment...
If you bought a NEW car, and there is problems,, do they give you a USED car for your money,,,
If you bought a New Home,,, and there was issues, do you accept an used older home..?
Most electronic retaillers - will allow you to exchange product with in one year,, for new off the shelf,,,,, with a receipt..
even Wal-mart and Costco,, accepts items back for exchanges with in a timely matter - provieded a receipt...
If your at a resturant, the food was made wrong or didn't taste right,, do they give you someone elses food off another plate ( well,, lets not go there yet..?" ) and sell it to you as fresh and new...???

where do you draw the line.... for consumer goods...... and services,,,,

along the stretch of River Road from rt. 287 Exit 9/10 along till you get in to New Brunswick area or Rt 18

Garden State parkway south mile markers 109 - 100

Rt 202/206 north of bridge water

Rt 287 s near Rt 1 / Rt 27 locations.

Rt 80 west of 287

Trenton / Halmiton - depending on which side of the street your standing on it can go dead,,

Point Plesant - Arnold ave

Aurthurs landing Weehawlkin,, - it over looks NYC,,,,,

Rt 24 N from meandham to Morristown....

Rt 18 south Oldbridge areas,,,,

Comments:

Review by mlohrwork See Profile

• Location: Laurel,Howard,MD
Good "Worked everywhere I have needed including remote cabin"
Bad "Slow when not in 3 G mode"
Overall "Expensive but only alternative as analog cell is shut down"

Since ATT/Cingular shut down the analog tower near my cabin near the Skyline Drive so I was forced to look for alternatives. Laptop connect PCMCIA was suggested and it works at the cabin in the non 3 g mode ~80kbps/~60kbps. It slows down to half rate when used with the Cisco vpn client but seemed quite reliable. Pings are longish (.4-.8 seconds) since the network connection point to the backbone is in the center of the United States. While on recent travel to AZ I used it and got full 3 G performance ~1Mbps/~1Mbps and much lower ping times 80ms. It also got 3 G at the Baltimore airport. Thus far (1.5 months) it has never failed to connect and has always worked. When in 3 G mode it feels speed wise like my DSL 1.5Mbps/768Kbps. Slightly slower than my Comcast 6MBps/700Kbps. No ports seem to be blocked. IP is dynamic and different each time I connected. Remains constant during a session. It also goes to a slower mode when driving in a car between cell towers ~15Kbps/~10Kbps. In all modes it is faster than analog cell modem (2.4Kbps)

Equipment cost $300 dollars($100 rebate) and $50 setup for the PCMCIA card and its sim. Because I currently have Cingular cell phones the contract period is 12 months. Provided software install smoothly but was immediately remotely upgraded on the first session. It did allow me to refuse the upgrade.

Cingular representative wisely advised against metered service at the $29 dollar level equivalent to the analog phone. He said very few customers keep the metered service.

Great when in 3 G areas but slightly better than dial-up otherwise