Atlantic Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by miaguy See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "speed rocks, decent price, quick install from company, friendly techs"
Bad "phone support could be more knowledgable"
Overall "very good ISP"

had to dump business class adsl megapath w static ip after more than 5 years after service degraded terrribly.

thought about at&t uverse for business, but they wanted me to be without internet service for 2-4 weeks cause they needed to completely nuke megapath before they could install.

that's just absurd. one at&t inside biz sales person suggested i first migrate to at&t regular adsl for a week, which they could install asap.

no way. i would use my verizon lte data cards before i did that. i have never heard anything good about them. at least with uverse it's fast when it works.

then checked out atlantic broadband, which upgraded service in our area. heard good things about them.

had install in like 2 days for my 60/5 service.

the speeds are consistently 60/5 24/7.

the only issue i had was that i couldn't get those speeds through a router (i used 3 diff routers, too). service comes with only a very basic modem, no router, so obviously we all have to use our own routers, switches.

phone support peeps were very friendly, patient, but couldn't solve my issue.

my own IT guy did, and all's well. very well.

i am so grateful i didn't end up with at&t uverse!

Comments:

Review by miamimovies See Profile

• Location: Miami Beach,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "If you can get service somewhere else, do it"

This is possibly the most poorly run company that I have ever worked with. Not only do they provide terrible internet speeds, now they have made a change to their HD cable lineup and never made any notification. Their excuse is that a 3rd party didn't do their job. And since I have TiVo I have to report the problem myself to TiVo, even though they provide the cards. They have no idea how long it will take to get fixed. It is as if this company is run by a bunch of children. I am going to do all that I can to lobby my city officials to end the contract with this company. The internet goes down all the time. So if you have phone service with them, you couldn't even make a 911 call. This is the WORST cable company in the country. Better to use tethering with your cell phone and get your TV online. They should be run out of business. The worst customer service I have ever experienced.

Comments:

Review by hth45 See Profile

• Location: Aiken,Aiken,SC
Bad "Unfair business practices"

I signed up for one of their triple play packages. The local representative told me that I would have to lease one of their modems, a Motorola SURFboard digital voice modem SBV5222, as my old modem would not work. I then purchased the exact same modem rather than pay them a monthly lease fee. When the installer came he said that they (Atlantic Broadband) could only use modems that they supplied.

I complained to the local office and they told me that their system was only setup to handle their own equipment which I believe to be untrue. They just don't want customers to buy their own equipment and lose the monthly lease fee.

This is just a money maker for Atlantic Broadband pure and simple.

Comments:

Review by Os See Profile

• Location: Cumberland,Allegany,MD
Good "Consistent speed, no bandwidth caps, excellent tech support, best available in area"
Bad "Value, no DOCSIS 3.0 speeds, some problems with cable TV lineup"
Overall "Best available in Allegany County, MD; Prices Getting Way Too High"

I've been with Atlantic Broadband for 3 years now. I currently have their 8 Mb/512 internet. It started as a promotional deal with VoIP access for $49.99 for the first year (plus modem rental). It's gone up $20 or so since then, but it's the best available broadband in this area. Verizon offers nothing more than 3 Mbps DSL, and wants more for it, plus their customer service and billing departments are horrible (left Verizon to head to ABB)

Order and install at new residence was done 5/09. There were some early problems due to bad wiring, but they were fixed. I have very few connectivity issues and the speed is fairly consistent. I'm never below 6.5 Mbps. I can pretty much do whatever I want online, most important to me being online video (HD quality) and I have very few tiling issues or slowdowns. Tech support when I've called has been incredibly helpful, technicians went above and beyond to fix wiring issues, and make sure quality service was attainable.

Some friends have reported some suspecting of throttling with torrents, but I don't really get into those. Some friends have also had issues with connectivity. No bandwidth caps on the horizon, which is a major plus. I use my connection pretty heavily (1 computer) and am glad I don't have to worry about those.

Package is $140/month with cable TV (no digital). I know that's a little high, but Comcast would be little better (who controls the western portion of the county). My bigger complaints are with TV, having disputes with Comcast SportsNet, not offering MLB/NHL/NBA/Big Ten Network, but HD offerings are second to none for the area (Comcast Frostburg system has no HD yet, bought from Adelphia) as are the wide variety of local affiliates for NFL games on Sundays (DC/Baltimore/Altoona-Johnstown affiliates available).

It would be nice to get some of the high speeds some can get elsewhere, but if you're in this area, the best (and arguably, only) choice is Atlantic Broadband.

3/28/11 UPDATE: Max service was upgraded at the beginning of the month to 10 Mbps down/1 Mbps up. Tonight I started receiving that speed. Very happy. There is now a MegaMax service at 15 down/1.5 up available.

The Uniontown service area has seen a massive upgrade to their HD channel lineup, they're over 80 now. I hope Altoona/Johnstown/Cumberland will be seeing the same very soon. If they do, I'll upgrade. Glad to see ABB getting aggressive again at improving their product.

5/12/11 UPDATE: New bill raised price another $13/month. $154 for expanded basic (no digital or HD cable), 10/1 internet and phone is just too high. Called ABB to negotiate new rates, all they could do was issue me a $10 credit on TV for a year. When you consider what others are being offered, we're really being gouged out here since Verizon DSL (Frontier on the WV side) is it. First person told me to downgrade internet to 5/512 because "That's still fast". The sales rep acted like I was insane when I started listing off all the companies with 50 Mbps speed, and that finally upgrading to 10 Mbps was the greatest thing ever. Sales rep got defensive when I mentioned how the channel offerings were being lapped by just about everyone when I started asking if some new ones were going to be added.

I've thought pretty highly of ABB, but if they start capping (and I hope they don't), I'll probably cut them off for Verizon.

Comments:

Review by fenix_jn See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Faster than DSL"
Bad "Becoming really expensive, keep your eye on the bill."
Overall "Service is good but they add charges like crazy"

04/03/2011: Still more expensive than ATT's DSL service, even without promotional discount (6M on ATT is $47.95 while on ABB it can be at least $54 and as high as $70)

07/18/10: Well this seems to be my final review for ABB, their service is still good but they have been increasing prices too much lately. Also, had a problem with the internet service recently which didnt have before a tech came in to install some digital boxes. I called CS and they said "it seems you need a technician to check it out", I said OK... then I got a $30 bill later (and no, they never disclosed that I had to pay the $30 should their tech needed to change anything within the internal wiring... there is a little more than the call: I first tried to talk to them using their online service and was offered the tech but it was too quick so I called CS to see if that is what needed to happen and the CS rep confirmed the appointment, on both cases they NEVER disclosed the fee). I called about this and they gave me some BS explanation about that the problem was internal to my wiring instead of external... even though I had no problems BEFORE the installer showed up and connected the boxes. I mentioned this to them and the CS rep went with the same BS with the internal wiring... oh also... I own my cable modem, guess what else showed up on my bill AFTER the tech came to install the boxes??. This one I got a credit for at least but still had to foot the $30 bill. Then they played something on the bill and got billed one month in advance like a new customer so the first bill with the new service included a prorated charge until the install date AND the following month... and they billed me the month after that. As much as I don't like it... AT&T DSL here I go.

I forgot to mention... those 'upgrades' on speed... yes the ones they said that would bump all accounts... NEVER HAPPENED. According to them, the bumps that were supposed to move from 8 to 12 and from 12 to 16, all this time with them and the upgrades never materialized.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------

05/23/10: Found the reason for the weird outages: bad splitter.

05/18/10: Early update: Lately ABB has been dropping the ball: I got my own modem since I didnt want to pay the 'modem rental fee', the modem is a standard motorola SB5101... the connection has been dropping at least twice a week, when it does it lasts for about 6 hours and it usually happens during daytime. Honestly, this never happened with their rented modems, I mean, yes, they had their random disconnects but nothing severe, it usually lasted 5 to 10 minutes but never 6 hours!!.

The problem is also no competition: here the only cable provider (for this specific area) is ABB, Comcast refuses to deal here. SO for internet we have two choices: ATT (DSL) and ABB (Cable) and ATT is sure more expensive than cable by $30 - $40 and slower (their highest speed is 6M while ABB is 12M, although I can get about 8-6M most of the time)

09/29/09: Wow almost a year since my last update: well speed has become more stable, I still get some drops on speed but they are usually are within 90 - 80% of the advertised speed. The actual speed I get is about 7.53 Mbps. There is no more issue with P2P throttling, in fact they stopped blocking some sites.

Sometimes the modem will disconnect randomly, it happens about once every two weeks, I guess it is some kind of resync. They have been incrementing their pricing slowly but steadily without any notice.

Well, now going with HSI.... ABB's supplied modem is a Motorola SBV5222 which has USB, Ethernet and Phone connections (VOIP service). The service often goes below the expected service (as low as 6 Mbps, but it could go lower like 4 Mbps), however, is not that much of a problem.

Service is part of a promotion that ABB has going right now, from call to install, it took them about 3 days.

I had some issues with the modem and the router we were using since for some reason it was unable to share the internet connection, and when it shared it, it was extremely slow (up to 1.5 Mbps), I mentioned this to the ABB tech but they couldn't help, I wasn't expecting the help anyways since their support limits to the PC connection itself. Aside that, service has been very good.

Update 09/21/08: well my weird issue with the router was solved thanks to the help of someone in the BBR forums (hint: MAC cloning). Speed has improved substantially since then, usually keeping over 6.4 to 7.3 Mbps. Uploads are usually 480 - 492 Kbps. Now I'm able to get full internet and be protected with the router (even though the SBV5222 works as a modem, it seems to me that it currently works on IP Pass through mode since my router is able to detect my external IP directly and the IP is not a private address kind (192.168.x.x) as it used to happen when it was connected directly to the PC).

Update 10/25/08: I have found some random latency variations. By default, the latency is about 50-60 mS. Some nights after 10 pm EST, it go up about 160+ mS with the drop on speed about 3-4 Mbps. I haven't called ABB about it but if it gets worse they will hear from me.

Update 11/25/08: The speed problem hit me again... my speed dropped to 350 kbps with a latency of over 700 mS. Fortunately it happened after 8 pm EST and it was over by the next day, I still think they must be doing some kind of upgrade to the network. Unfortunately, I still do not see any benefit or receive any notification at all before this happens.

About The P2P issue: so far I have not experienced this drop. The speed drop happens but so far, it happens even if I'm not using any kind of P2P application (plain HTTP traffic). I still think it is some kind of maintenance/upgrade that ABB doesn't bother to tell their customers.

Uh... well several P2P forums confirm the P2P throttling so then yes, it may be happening.

member for 7.9 years, 2433 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by GaryK See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Price, but only because my condo has a bulk deal."
Bad "Downtime is outrageous!"
Overall "I'd change providers if I could."

I've had DSL from AT&T for many years now. I want to get rid of my home phone and use only my cellphone so I signed-up for Atlantic Broadband HSI. My first call to them was eight days ago. I called on every single day after that. I could never reach a human. Nobody that I left voicemail for returned my calls. I finally got mad today and that seems to have gotten me through to an actual human. Once that happened things went very smoothly.

From the time I spoke with someone until I was up and running was just a few hours; the time it took to place the order, pick up the modem; an excellent Motorola SURFboard, get some cable, and switch the connection from my DSL to cable. This doesn't make up for the previous poor customer service. But it was worthy of note.

Installation was very easy. I had no problems at all doing it myself. The connection worked on the first try. My connection speeds for the same promised numbers (8mbps/768kbps) as my DSL were noticeably faster. In otherwords, I could see pages rendering much faster. Uploads speeds were also much faster.

I'll update my review again in a week when I have something more substantial to comment on with regard to the actual connection reliability.

Again, so far customer service goes they may as well not have any. It was awful. I practically had to beg them to let me become a customer. If I had another option I would have taken it. However I'm in a condo association with bulk cable so my options are DSL or ABB cable.

UPDATED: March 29, 2011

Unfortunately, I'm still stuck with Atlantic Broadband.

I've never seen a cable provider with as many scheduled maintenance windows at this one has. It's not unusual to have both internet and TV down from midnight until 6:00 AM at least once per week. This past week there were three of these scheduled downtimes.

When they manage to keep everything working my service seems good. Unfortunately, they seem to have problems keeping the system up and running. In the past year I've had many outages that lasted from several hours to over two days. There is no such thing as a brief outage with this company.

member for 14.3 years, 576 visits, last login: 1.4 years ago

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Able to load Google.com sometimes"
Bad "FREQUENT outages"
Overall "Atlantic Broadband is not a good ISP"

Atlantic Broadband is not a good ISP. Regular outages over night, often
several times a week. It may be their policy to do sporadic maintenance
over night under the assumption that no one will notice.
They are currently experiencing a 12+ hour outage of phone, cable, and data
service over the entire state of Florida. Seems unheard of for a major
ISP. If the company was AT&T, this would be national news. Yet Atlantic
Broadband doesn't so much as have a mention of the outage anywhere on their
website.
Nor, for that matter, does their website list any e-mail contacts or
customer support form. I am baffled by ISPs that run such dormant websites.
When you're an Internet Service Provider, this is like boarding up your
storefront and posting a sign that says "out to lunch."

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by Davidr627 See Profile

• Location: Grasonville,Queen Annes,MD
Good "Best option in Grasonville MD"
Bad "This is 2011 and my fastest DL option is 8mb down?????"
Overall "Given the little competition in our area, this is the best service in town"

My $92is my total bill for VOIP, Max HS internet 8mb down/500kb up, cable modem lease fee, and taxes. For the most part, I have been happy with the service. I get 7.5 mb down daily. The speed does drop a little at night with heavy usage in the area. The service is up about 99% of the time. VOIP is awesome. I have been with them for about 5 years.

Comments:

Review by mitchell29

• Location: Miami Beach,Miami-Dade,FL

for a year i have complained about poor reception from you co i have had 6 or 7 guys here and all saw a problem but had no fix so i will be forced to change companies because your co is not willing to provide me with proper service i wil lalso be forced at the next meeting bring up changing our service for all 750 units mitchell margolis 305 5324997l

(review was emailed from domain mac.com)

• Location: Chestertown,Kent,MD
Good "One day they may have some real competition & I can change my ISP"
Bad "Atlantic Broadband are simply crap!"
Overall "Dont use Atlantic Broadband"

I use Atlantic Broadband and their service is lamentable. They have NEVER
EVER been able to supply the Download/upload speeds which they are
contracted to supply. I have complained many many times. Their technicians
admit that the infrastructure is simply not in place on the Eastern Shore to
supply the speeds they claim. Speak to a supervisor & request a monthly
discount - I currently get about 10% off my account.

It's better than nothing but I would NOT recommend them!

(review was emailed from domain atlanticbb.net)