Atlantic Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by GibbyGibson See Profile

• Location: Johnstown,Cambria,PA
Good "Customer service is very nice."
Bad "They have been ripping us off for years, we have been paying for the fastest internet for a few years but only received slowest."
Overall "You can't get any of the new packages which are much better deals (they are for NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY) and they rip you off."

We have been with Atlantic Broadband for years now. They are the only cable/internet/phone provider in my area. They will rob you blind. A few years ago, we upgraded to the most expensive package they had, which had the fastest internet, best tv, best phone, etc. THAT PACKAGE WAS MORE THAN THE MOST EXPENSIVE PACKAGE THEY OFFER TODAY, yet they were still making us play full for it. And get this: the package that is the most expensive one today (still cheaper than what we were paying) gives you more service than the one we were paying for! We had the slowest internet yet was paying $175 per month for the fastest, but was only getting the slowest! When I called to downgrade/upgrade to the new most expensive package, they said IT WAS FOR NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY and that I WAS STUCK PAYING FOR THE MOST EXPENSIVE PACKAGE FROM 8 YEARS AGO! I can't even upgrade to their NEW MOST EXPENSIVE PACKAGE! They are robbing us blind, and if I had another choice, believe me, I would be switching in a heart beat.

Comments:
Os

join:2011-01-26
US

1 recommendation

You Have Options

Plenty of options for phone service that don't involve ABB, and there's always DirecTV and Dish for TV.

Review by Tasogare See Profile

• Location: Carmichaels,Greene,PA
Good "Fast tech support response, nothing else"
Bad "Extremely poor Tier 1 phone support, extremely pricey, very unstable connection"
Overall "Absolutely do not use if you have ANY other alternative in your area"

We've been using Atlantic Broadband for about five years in Southwest PA, without a single issue. Since their buyout by Cogeco last year, however, they have been absolutely terrible. Since January 2012 continuing to the present day, it has been impossible to go a single day without multiple disconnects and modem rebooting.

They refuse to support Docsis 3 standards without hiking up the price on your contract, even if you're only looking to use the channel bonding feature to avoid said daily disconnects, which are due to the modem unable to switch channels for load balancing.

Their phone support is utterly useless, with tier 1 techs having no idea what load balancing even IS, having no idea modems even communicate on channels, and so on. The price is ridiculous as well, as we've been entered into the most basic cable package and only 10Mb/s internet for $160/mo. A simple upgrade to 20Mb/s would be $180/mo.

Since coming under Cogeco, Atlantic Broadband has gone from an extremely reliable service to a provider I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Avoid at all costs if you can help it.

Edited for January 2014--The problems have continued for the past two years to the present day. I have received no actual help from the company no matter how many times they supposedly fix something and give me the company run around. It's even worse now. I've had 8 disconnects in the past 48 hours, but I've given up calling them for help. They're not going to do anything in an area where they have no competition.

Comments:
ABBJason

join:2010-06-03
Altoona, PA

Would be happy to help

Tasogare, I work for Atlantic Broadband. I'm very sorry to hear you've had problems with your service latley, and would like the opportunity to work with you to resolve your issues. If you want to send me a private message on this website, we can exchange some information and get in touch. I feel confident we can find the source of your internet connection issues and resolve them.
Tasogare

join:2008-10-04
Carmichaels, PA

Re: Would be happy to help

Not entirely sure how to PM on this site, it's a bit clunky and.. unique, to say the least. I sent you an IM though, hopefully that worked.
Tasogare

join:2008-10-04
Carmichaels, PA
Are you going to help? I messaged you almost a week ago, and I see you've had site visits since then. :\
ABBJason

join:2010-06-03
Altoona, PA

Re: Would be happy to help

I have replied to your PM after looking into the issues you raised.

Review by saboken See Profile

• Location: Johnstown,Cambria,PA
Good "I get internet and TV"
Bad "Poor line up for $ Cable Card FCC Violations"
Overall "The Most Dishonest Company Ever!!!!!!"

I purchased a Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCIe card, first the woman at the local office in Johnstown PA was very rude about my choice to use a Cable Card! second they refused to hit the card from the head end and resulted in a unnecessary truck roll that I told them I refuse to pay for because they were at fault for not listening to me! and they said if I was at fault they would charge me. Guess what I was right the tech had to hit the card from the Head End!

Then comes the FCC law that says they need to deduct the cost of the equipment I was leasing prior to going to a Cable Card, this is where they may have dug themselves a grave, they told me if I return the DVR and HD receiver, I would be breaking my bundle and I would be charged ala carte? the law clearly states they have to discount me the published rate for the equipment that was included in my package!!

I have filed a complaint with the FCC about the clear law violation and also contacted the Attorney General, Ceton also asked if they could help and I agreed! they called ABB and Ceton told me they (ABB) would call me, when that call came they had the nerve to offer me a $2.00 discount? I refused and she said I was already getting a discount in my bundle and they could not give me anymore! because they would not be making any money!

I told them I would let the FCC deal with them and I was trying to work with them to sort this out before the FCC forced them to obey the laws! so now I have their equipment in a closet because I can't return it without penalty yet and will demand a refund for it from the day I activated the Cable Card! has anyone else on ABB in PA had this issue? have you filed FCC complaints? if not I think we need to stand up for our rights and do whatever it takes to get this sorry company to Obey the Federal Laws imposed on them! this includes Tivo users, I don't know about you but I am tired of Company's walking all over consumers and believing they are above the law. I should be getting about a $45.00 discount and if the debundle me I will be paying $60.00 more than I am now!

I forgot to mention one of their installers Stole a Narcotic Prescription from my disabled wife! he knew she was legally blind and didn't get it the first day! so he came back the next day unannounced in uniform and said he forgot to take a reading?

ABB verified he was not authorized to return and did not report his stop, he denied it but I have Cameras outside my home linked to my security system that busted him! ABB never once offered anything for their employees wrong doing yes He was arrested and charged.

I never filed suit against ABB even though they are responsible for their employees actions, I reminded them on the phone there is a 2 year statute of limitation to sue them and they still didn't care about the FCC law! the case is public info at Cambria County Court House, there may have been more victims of the Employee?

if a Johnstown PA ABB installer stole from you PM me if you know the name of the Installer? if it is the same person I will pm the court docket # to you! I will not post his name because I don't want anyone making false claims! I am Ex law enforcement and will not allow a witch hunt to start just because you hate ABB.

There Tech that stole from us has managed to get 5 more cases put on him ID theft, fraud, and a bunch of other charges there are 4-5 Felony's! even after he got a slap on the wrist and no Jail time but ABB assured me they check everyone out! I don't think so. now when anyone from ABB is at my home I won't let them more than 4 feet from me!!!

Now they are owned by Cogeco

I hope this brings much needed change to ABB

Comments:
saboken

join:2003-10-12
Johnstown, PA

I have one good thing to say about ABB

When DirecTv gave me a bad receiver that started zapping electronics in my previous home including there Voice Modem they swapped it out free even after it was there competitors equipment that did the damage because Direct Sat refused to ground their equipment! and one of DTV's boxes started to put 77.6 volts out through it's ground and it had nowhere to go except first into the modem because there Swim networking device was attached to a router next to the modem, and a few other computers in the house. and DirectTv refused to pay for any damages but fortunately our Military Insurance USAA paid on the claim! this left a bad taste in my mouth about DTV and I had no choice but to choose ABB for TV even with the loss of 3D Channels and a lot of other HD channels. I just wish they would have helped prove to USAA that the DTV receiver was in fact pumping out voltage through it's ground USAA lost the suit against DTV because we had no proof from a witness that our claim was valid the ABB tech was the only professional that saw the voltage reading that was neutral in the case.
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Something didn't ring true...

I made a quick call to my FCC attorney friend and he told me, like it or not, de-bundling you is something they are within their rights to do. It isn't right but it is how they get away with discouraging the use of your own equipment.
saboken

join:2003-10-12
Johnstown, PA

Re: Something didn't ring true...

This is the FCC Rule for CableCard users. They CAN NOT debundle you! It clearly states that you will receive discount on whatever package you are in, see 1st section of this rule:

New rules went into effect on August 8, 2011, that clarified and expanded rights for owners of CableCARD-ready devices. Here are a few things you need to know.

Pay only for equipment you have. Your operator must give you a discount on any packages that include the price of a set-top box if you choose to use your own CableCARD-enabled device. FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(5).
Accurate information on the rental cost of a CableCARD from your provider. Your operator must list the cost of a CableCARD rental on its website or billing inserts and on its annual rate notice, and must provide you with this information when you call. FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(5), 76.1602(b). Typically operators charge $2-4 per month to rent a CableCARD.
Use your own set-top box without extra charge. FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(5)(C). Your cable operator may charge you to lease a CableCARD or tuning adapter, but may not charge you an additional service fee for using your own digital-cable-ready television or set-top box.
Self-install your CableCARD. Effective August 8, 2011, cable operators must allow self-installation of CableCARDs if they allow self-installation of other equipment, such as digital boxes or cable modems. By November 1, 2011, all cable operators must allow self-installation of CableCARDs. Your operator may decline your request for self-installation if your equipment manufacturer or vendor does not provide you with instructions on how to install a CableCARD and offer a toll-free telephone number for product support. FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(1).
Receive the number of CableCARDs you request. If you opt for a professional installation by your cable operator, the technician must arrive with at least the number of CableCARDs you request. FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(3). If you opt for self installation your operator must provide them to you through their normal self-installation procedures (for example by mailing them to you or letting you pick them up at the operator’s local retail location). Some CableCARD devices may require two CableCARDs to access all features. Refer to your user manual for more information.
Receive a multi-stream CableCARD unless you request otherwise. FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(2). If you have a retail device with more than one tuner and that device supports multi-stream CableCARDs, one multi-stream CableCARD can allow you to access multiple simultaneous channels.
Receive all “linear” channels (channels other than “on-demand”) in your subscription package. This includes premium channels and specialty channels. For some channels delivered using a technique called “switched digital video,” you may need a second device called a “tuning adapter.” This device is typically provided at no additional charge to CableCARD customers. FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(4). CableCARD-ready devices currently cannot receive your cable operator’s Video on Demand services.
Get accurate information about services available to CableCARD subscribers. FCC Rule 76.1205(c).
If your cable operator does not resolve your concern, you may file a complaint with the FCC and/or your local franchise authority. To file your complaint with the Commission, click on www.fcc.gov/complaints.
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Re: Something didn't ring true...

Correct. A "package" is different than a "bundle" of multiple services.

Review by miamimovies See Profile

• Location: Miami Beach,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "If you can get service somewhere else, do it"

This is possibly the most poorly run company that I have ever worked with. Not only do they provide terrible internet speeds, now they have made a change to their HD cable lineup and never made any notification. Their excuse is that a 3rd party didn't do their job. And since I have TiVo I have to report the problem myself to TiVo, even though they provide the cards. They have no idea how long it will take to get fixed. It is as if this company is run by a bunch of children. I am going to do all that I can to lobby my city officials to end the contract with this company. The internet goes down all the time. So if you have phone service with them, you couldn't even make a 911 call. This is the WORST cable company in the country. Better to use tethering with your cell phone and get your TV online. They should be run out of business. The worst customer service I have ever experienced.

Comments:

Review by Os See Profile

• Location: Cumberland,Allegany,MD
Good "Consistent speed, no bandwidth caps, excellent tech support, best available in area"
Bad "Value, no DOCSIS 3.0 speeds, some problems with cable TV lineup"
Overall "Best available in Allegany County, MD; Prices Getting Way Too High"

I've been with Atlantic Broadband for 3 years now. I currently have their 8 Mb/512 internet. It started as a promotional deal with VoIP access for $49.99 for the first year (plus modem rental). It's gone up $20 or so since then, but it's the best available broadband in this area. Verizon offers nothing more than 3 Mbps DSL, and wants more for it, plus their customer service and billing departments are horrible (left Verizon to head to ABB)

Order and install at new residence was done 5/09. There were some early problems due to bad wiring, but they were fixed. I have very few connectivity issues and the speed is fairly consistent. I'm never below 6.5 Mbps. I can pretty much do whatever I want online, most important to me being online video (HD quality) and I have very few tiling issues or slowdowns. Tech support when I've called has been incredibly helpful, technicians went above and beyond to fix wiring issues, and make sure quality service was attainable.

Some friends have reported some suspecting of throttling with torrents, but I don't really get into those. Some friends have also had issues with connectivity. No bandwidth caps on the horizon, which is a major plus. I use my connection pretty heavily (1 computer) and am glad I don't have to worry about those.

Package is $140/month with cable TV (no digital). I know that's a little high, but Comcast would be little better (who controls the western portion of the county). My bigger complaints are with TV, having disputes with Comcast SportsNet, not offering MLB/NHL/NBA/Big Ten Network, but HD offerings are second to none for the area (Comcast Frostburg system has no HD yet, bought from Adelphia) as are the wide variety of local affiliates for NFL games on Sundays (DC/Baltimore/Altoona-Johnstown affiliates available).

It would be nice to get some of the high speeds some can get elsewhere, but if you're in this area, the best (and arguably, only) choice is Atlantic Broadband.

3/28/11 UPDATE: Max service was upgraded at the beginning of the month to 10 Mbps down/1 Mbps up. Tonight I started receiving that speed. Very happy. There is now a MegaMax service at 15 down/1.5 up available.

The Uniontown service area has seen a massive upgrade to their HD channel lineup, they're over 80 now. I hope Altoona/Johnstown/Cumberland will be seeing the same very soon. If they do, I'll upgrade. Glad to see ABB getting aggressive again at improving their product.

5/12/11 UPDATE: New bill raised price another $13/month. $154 for expanded basic (no digital or HD cable), 10/1 internet and phone is just too high. Called ABB to negotiate new rates, all they could do was issue me a $10 credit on TV for a year. When you consider what others are being offered, we're really being gouged out here since Verizon DSL (Frontier on the WV side) is it. First person told me to downgrade internet to 5/512 because "That's still fast". The sales rep acted like I was insane when I started listing off all the companies with 50 Mbps speed, and that finally upgrading to 10 Mbps was the greatest thing ever. Sales rep got defensive when I mentioned how the channel offerings were being lapped by just about everyone when I started asking if some new ones were going to be added.

I've thought pretty highly of ABB, but if they start capping (and I hope they don't), I'll probably cut them off for Verizon.

member for 3.9 years, 1425 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by fenix_jn See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Faster than DSL"
Bad "Becoming really expensive, keep your eye on the bill."
Overall "Service is good but they add charges like crazy"

04/03/2011: Still more expensive than ATT's DSL service, even without promotional discount (6M on ATT is $47.95 while on ABB it can be at least $54 and as high as $70)

07/18/10: Well this seems to be my final review for ABB, their service is still good but they have been increasing prices too much lately. Also, had a problem with the internet service recently which didnt have before a tech came in to install some digital boxes. I called CS and they said "it seems you need a technician to check it out", I said OK... then I got a $30 bill later (and no, they never disclosed that I had to pay the $30 should their tech needed to change anything within the internal wiring... there is a little more than the call: I first tried to talk to them using their online service and was offered the tech but it was too quick so I called CS to see if that is what needed to happen and the CS rep confirmed the appointment, on both cases they NEVER disclosed the fee). I called about this and they gave me some BS explanation about that the problem was internal to my wiring instead of external... even though I had no problems BEFORE the installer showed up and connected the boxes. I mentioned this to them and the CS rep went with the same BS with the internal wiring... oh also... I own my cable modem, guess what else showed up on my bill AFTER the tech came to install the boxes??. This one I got a credit for at least but still had to foot the $30 bill. Then they played something on the bill and got billed one month in advance like a new customer so the first bill with the new service included a prorated charge until the install date AND the following month... and they billed me the month after that. As much as I don't like it... AT&T DSL here I go.

I forgot to mention... those 'upgrades' on speed... yes the ones they said that would bump all accounts... NEVER HAPPENED. According to them, the bumps that were supposed to move from 8 to 12 and from 12 to 16, all this time with them and the upgrades never materialized.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------

05/23/10: Found the reason for the weird outages: bad splitter.

05/18/10: Early update: Lately ABB has been dropping the ball: I got my own modem since I didnt want to pay the 'modem rental fee', the modem is a standard motorola SB5101... the connection has been dropping at least twice a week, when it does it lasts for about 6 hours and it usually happens during daytime. Honestly, this never happened with their rented modems, I mean, yes, they had their random disconnects but nothing severe, it usually lasted 5 to 10 minutes but never 6 hours!!.

The problem is also no competition: here the only cable provider (for this specific area) is ABB, Comcast refuses to deal here. SO for internet we have two choices: ATT (DSL) and ABB (Cable) and ATT is sure more expensive than cable by $30 - $40 and slower (their highest speed is 6M while ABB is 12M, although I can get about 8-6M most of the time)

09/29/09: Wow almost a year since my last update: well speed has become more stable, I still get some drops on speed but they are usually are within 90 - 80% of the advertised speed. The actual speed I get is about 7.53 Mbps. There is no more issue with P2P throttling, in fact they stopped blocking some sites.

Sometimes the modem will disconnect randomly, it happens about once every two weeks, I guess it is some kind of resync. They have been incrementing their pricing slowly but steadily without any notice.

Well, now going with HSI.... ABB's supplied modem is a Motorola SBV5222 which has USB, Ethernet and Phone connections (VOIP service). The service often goes below the expected service (as low as 6 Mbps, but it could go lower like 4 Mbps), however, is not that much of a problem.

Service is part of a promotion that ABB has going right now, from call to install, it took them about 3 days.

I had some issues with the modem and the router we were using since for some reason it was unable to share the internet connection, and when it shared it, it was extremely slow (up to 1.5 Mbps), I mentioned this to the ABB tech but they couldn't help, I wasn't expecting the help anyways since their support limits to the PC connection itself. Aside that, service has been very good.

Update 09/21/08: well my weird issue with the router was solved thanks to the help of someone in the BBR forums (hint: MAC cloning). Speed has improved substantially since then, usually keeping over 6.4 to 7.3 Mbps. Uploads are usually 480 - 492 Kbps. Now I'm able to get full internet and be protected with the router (even though the SBV5222 works as a modem, it seems to me that it currently works on IP Pass through mode since my router is able to detect my external IP directly and the IP is not a private address kind (192.168.x.x) as it used to happen when it was connected directly to the PC).

Update 10/25/08: I have found some random latency variations. By default, the latency is about 50-60 mS. Some nights after 10 pm EST, it go up about 160+ mS with the drop on speed about 3-4 Mbps. I haven't called ABB about it but if it gets worse they will hear from me.

Update 11/25/08: The speed problem hit me again... my speed dropped to 350 kbps with a latency of over 700 mS. Fortunately it happened after 8 pm EST and it was over by the next day, I still think they must be doing some kind of upgrade to the network. Unfortunately, I still do not see any benefit or receive any notification at all before this happens.

About The P2P issue: so far I have not experienced this drop. The speed drop happens but so far, it happens even if I'm not using any kind of P2P application (plain HTTP traffic). I still think it is some kind of maintenance/upgrade that ABB doesn't bother to tell their customers.

Uh... well several P2P forums confirm the P2P throttling so then yes, it may be happening.

member for 7.9 years, 2435 visits, last login: a few hours ago

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Able to load Google.com sometimes"
Bad "FREQUENT outages"
Overall "Atlantic Broadband is not a good ISP"

Atlantic Broadband is not a good ISP. Regular outages over night, often
several times a week. It may be their policy to do sporadic maintenance
over night under the assumption that no one will notice.
They are currently experiencing a 12+ hour outage of phone, cable, and data
service over the entire state of Florida. Seems unheard of for a major
ISP. If the company was AT&T, this would be national news. Yet Atlantic
Broadband doesn't so much as have a mention of the outage anywhere on their
website.
Nor, for that matter, does their website list any e-mail contacts or
customer support form. I am baffled by ISPs that run such dormant websites.
When you're an Internet Service Provider, this is like boarding up your
storefront and posting a sign that says "out to lunch."

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

• Location: Chestertown,Kent,MD
Good "One day they may have some real competition & I can change my ISP"
Bad "Atlantic Broadband are simply crap!"
Overall "Dont use Atlantic Broadband"

I use Atlantic Broadband and their service is lamentable. They have NEVER
EVER been able to supply the Download/upload speeds which they are
contracted to supply. I have complained many many times. Their technicians
admit that the infrastructure is simply not in place on the Eastern Shore to
supply the speeds they claim. Speak to a supervisor & request a monthly
discount - I currently get about 10% off my account.

It's better than nothing but I would NOT recommend them!

(review was emailed from domain atlanticbb.net)

Comments:

Review by bulletstorm See Profile

• Location: Cumberland,Allegany,MD
Good "It's not dial-up or last mile connectivity"
Bad "Inconsistent speeds, slow, over subscribed, very over priced for the level of service that you get"
Overall "Last resort"

Where should I begin, when ABB says "Up to 8Mbps", believe me they mean it. Unless your an insomniac you will never see anything close to 8Mbps service. Top performance comes between the hours of 2:00 am and 8:00 am. Outside that time you'll be lucky to see 3Mbps down and average about 1Mbps. This is a constant state, I have been with them for multiple years and I have never been happy with the service. Beyond the horrible service at an inflated price of $64.95 per month the service is at least reliable with regard to up time. I dream of Fios or 50Mbps cable, even 30Mbps bonded ADSL but I will likely never see it come to the Cumberland area. Even if Comcast eventually buys ABB we will still be victims of bandwidth throttling.

Comments:

Review by kamanovich See Profile

• Location: Cumberland,Allegany,MD
Good "no real outages"
Bad "very oversubscribed which causes severe (up to 38%) packetloss"
Overall "Adequate until something better comes into the area..."

Have had complete weeks of packet loss reaching 38%. Calls to tech support resulted in anything from telling me to reinstall my system to the traditional resets of all devices.

Traceroute showed massive packetloss at Level3 edges (which of course is because AtlanticBB has too small a pipe for all the traffic). After 3 months of this, switched to a new service, only to have then fail also...sigh....time to start my own ISP!!