Atlantic Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by dliw See Profile

• Location: Altoona,Blair,PA
Good "Dependable service"
Bad "None I can think of."
Overall "Satisfied customer"

8 July 2014
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3612795167

24 Dec 2013
Free upgrade to 30/3 from 20/2. All is good.
[URL=http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3185969012][IMG]»www.speedtest.net/result/3185969···G][/URL]

2 Jun 2013
[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]»www.speedtest.net/result/2747562···G][/URL]
20/2 very stable

16 Oct 2012
[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]»www.speedtest.net/result/2245140···G][/URL]

30 July 2012
Got an upgrade. Very satisfied with ABB.
»www.speedtest.net/result/2091047175.png

17 Jan 2012
Getting better all the time!

»www.speedtest.net/result/1712673233.png

17 Dec 2011
Got an upgrade and didn't know it?

:::.. Combined Test Results ..:::
Upload Speed:: 120 kB/s
Tested At:: »TestMy.net version:12
Test Time:: 2011-12-17 11:38:30 Local Time
Validation:: »testmy.net/db/tNOY85I.P89wVAb
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0) [!]

22 March 2006
This past Saturday VoIP was installed by Atlantic Broadband along with an upgrade to Digital Cable for the television. Internet is still 3/320. All services are consistently of high quality. The modem for VoIP and internet is Motorola SBV5220 Surfboard. Great diagnostics page.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
Download Connection is:: 3916 Kbps about 3.92 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)
Download Speed is:: 478 kB/s
Tested From:: »testmy.net/ (Server 1)
Test Time:: 2006/08/18 - 5:50pm
Bottom Line:: 68X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 2.14 sec
Tested from a 5983 kB file and took 12.515 seconds to complete
Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 57.27 % faster than the average for host (atlanticbb.net)
D-Validation Link:: »testmy.net/stats/id-FJPCB364S
User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; WP EmbeddedWB 14.55; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727) [!]

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::
Upload Connection is:: 314 Kbps about 0.31 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)
Upload Speed is:: 38 kB/s
Tested From:: »testmy.net/ (Server 1)
Test Time:: 2006/08/18 - 5:51pm
Bottom Line:: 5X faster than 56K 1MB Upload in 26.95 sec
Tested from a 579 kB file and took 15.09024 seconds to complete
Upload Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 22.66 % faster than the average for host (atlanticbb.net)
U-Validation Link:: »testmy.net/stats/id-640RMU7WL

21 February 2007
Nothing new to report. Had a couple of outages but they were weather related. Customer service is fast, patient and usually knowledgeable. I'm still a satisfied user of Atlantic Broadband.

30 August 2007

19 February 2008
Again: "This service, internet~digital cable~VoIP, is just plain stable. It's a set and forget item. Absolutely nothing negative to report."

23 June 2008
Effective 1 September 2008, Atlantic Broadband will be increasing speeds across the board in Pennsylvania at no extra charge. As follows:

Starter High Speed 320/320 to 512/512. Kbps of course.
Preferred High Speed 3/320 to 5/512. Me!
Max High Speed 5/512 to 8/512.

Still very satisfied with Atlantic Broadband

22 August 2008
Got the speed increase a bit early. Preliminary results are as follows:

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::
Download Connection is:: 4748 Kbps about 4.75 Mbps (tested with 4096 kB)
Download Speed is:: 580 kB/s
Upload Connection is:: 482 Kbps about 0.5 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB)
Upload Speed is:: 59 kB/s
Tested From:: »testmy.net (Main)
Test Time:: 2008/08/22 - 6:50am
D-Validation Link:: »testmy.net/stats/id-0VG9RN63P
U-Validation Link:: »testmy.net/stats/id-ZWIS1AXRF
User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; OfficeLiveConnector.1.0; WWTClient2) [!]

28 February 2009
This past week, I'm thinking Tuesday or Wednesday, was the first time I encountered any real problems with service.. Early in the morning the cable, internet and VoIP went down. The outage covered Central PA and parts of Maryland.

The cable and VoIP came back on very fast but no internet connection could be made. I tried every trick in the book trying to reestablish it to no avail. Finally called a tech friend and explained the problem. Simple solution was a pin hole reset button on the back of the Motorola SBV5220 Surfboard. Fixed.

I don't know if ABB should have/could have sent a reset signal to the network or not. Would have saved me and probably a multitude of others a major source of frustration. O'well, at least I have learned another avenue of solving a problem from this experience. Good can come out of bad.

7 October 2009
Nothing new to report. We simply have a very stable system here which I am very satisfied with. When I do have an issue of any kind Customer Service is swift in resolving it. Kudos to Atlantic Broadband in Central PA.

30 October 2010
Geez...it's been a year!
:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::
Download Connection is:: 4773 Kbps about 4.77 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)
Download Speed is:: 583 kB/s
Upload Connection is:: 470 Kbps about 0.5 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)
Upload Speed is:: 57 kB/s
Tested From:: »testmy.net (Dallas, TX USA)
Test Time:: 2010-10-30 08:14:47 GMT -7
Validation:: »testmy.net/db/6SGHR418X&q2=1UMQO···dual=yes
User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C; OfficeLiveConnector.1.5; OfficeLivePatch.1.3; WWTClient2) [!]

member for 11.4 years, 5275 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mmereos See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Better then Comcast for internet Speeds"
Bad "Not too many features with regards to Cable TV options. They charge a HUGE premium for additional DVR's or Cable boxes."
Overall "I am happy to have switched back to them since I moved. "

I am re-writing my review since the original one is over 6 years old and I live in Aventura, FL now instead of Miami Beach, FL

I moved here on July of 2013 coming from Comcast/Xfinity Cable Internet which I have always paid the extra for the business class vs residential.

As far as services for your Cable TV, Comcast has a lot of excellent features like the ability to delete/add programs to your DVR over the internet and also using iPad or iPhone you can stream programs to the smartphones and tablets. But since this is the internet provider review I will say I have been very impressed by Atlantic Broadband.
I am on the 70Mb down/5Mb up plan. My condo pays for the 30Mb down and for an additional $20 or $30 I opted for the 70 Mb plan.
Wow what a difference from Comcast.
Comcast has this marketing term called Turbo Boost that boosts your speed for the first useless 500Mb that you download and then they throttle it down. My understanding from Comcast business is that they didn't do that for Business Class customers and I am realizing now that I have Atlantic Broadband that they definitely do some sort of throttling. My downloads are smooooooth and fast. I was never getting these results with Comcast and I was paying about $110/month.

Sorry Comcast, I loved you guys but Atlantic Broadband has you beat in terms of RAW internet speeds.

I could have chosen to go with Comcast's 100Mb down but that was going to be approximately $189/month if I recall.

So if I were to chose between Comcast, Atlantic Broadband, and DSL I would definitely go Atlantic Broadband.

Comments:

Review by Olivier R See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "very fast and stable"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "better than Uverse!"

30mbps/3mbps for $44, that's a very good pricing. This service is much faster then Uverse in the same zip code. Get a Motorola 6580, top speed is as advertised.

Just had to call them over the phone to upgrade my previous service with them 6mb to 30, plus get a $10 discount!

Recommended

Comments:

Review by lmamakos See Profile

• Location: Three Springs,Huntingdon,PA
Good "Rapid, high-quality installation, solid 21/2.1 Mb/s speeds"
Bad "none, so far"
Overall "Good upgrade for me"

I ordered the Atlantic BB "Express Service" which is a 20Mbs/2Mbs Internet service. Promo pricing is $29.95/month (I think) + $6/month modem rental.

Upgraded from 6Mb/s DSL which was topped out based on my location and the DSLAM. Decided to give Atlantic BB a try. In my central PA market, they rebuilt the system 7 or 8 years ago and now have a full digital cable and DOCSIS 3.0 infrastructure. They had a "special" for 12 months for their 20/2 Mb/s bandwidth tier, which ended up being cheaper than the DSL service. Even after the end of the promotional pricing period in a year, the rate would bump up to $5/month more than I was paying before, but for significantly more bandwidth.

I got an installation appointment 2 days after calling to order service. The technician arrived during the promised 8:30am-12:00noon window.

I live in a rural market, and the installer/technician is a company employee with a company "bucket truck", who lives in my community. Two other technicians that service this market apparently are within 10 or 15 miles (which is "nearby" for us out in the sticks). He's not just an installer, but also services the outside plant for the system i this local market. I had already run RG6 quad-sheild inside my home from the basement distribution where my router is to the outside of the house, and pulled some quad-shield outside plant cable I had through an empty conduit tube out to the utility pole. (That was installed at the same time as the buried conduit for the electrical service.) The installer said he would have been happy to have pulled the cable, but I wasn't sure beforehand if that would have been a problem.. He installed connectors on all the cables I ran, installed a box on the pole with a ground block and another box on the outside of the house with a ground block. The installation work was very high quality and nice craft work. I attribute this to employee vs. contractor that, e.g., Comcast uses in some markets.

Atlantic BB supplied a Motorola SB6180 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem. This modem is capable of bonding 8/4 channels together, though on my system, it's using 4/1 channels. Rental on the modem is $6/month; I may end up purchasing my own modem if I decide to stay with Atlantic BB after a couple of months.

The technician had a pretty slick JDSU test-set to measure signal strength and actually come up on the network. Apparently the test-set is it's own DOCSIS device, which sure seems handy for testing and debugging. I have a pretty hot signal at the end of my drop, requiring a 6dB attenuator. Nice to know there's probably plenty of margin.

The technician called in to activate the modem, and it came up in about 10 minutes after downloading a firmware upgrade and configuration files. Worked like a champ!

I'm using Vonage VoIP service and have been testing network performance during various times of the day, and the speeds seem pretty consistent at the top end of what I was promised. VoIP quality seems good. I get solid 21.5 Mb/s downloads based on both their speedtest.altlanticbb.com server as well as various speedtest.net servers on other networks. My upstream performance also looks good, though I have a traffic shaper at a hair below 2Mb/s so that the VoIP traffic can be prioritized on the way out. The 2Mb/s upstream rate is a big improvement over the about 300-500kb/s I had before on the DSL service.

Our Three Springs, PA area is backhauled from a local coax RF hub over fiber to Altoona, PA. From there, they're one hop off the Level3 backbone based on the traceroute tests I've run.

So far, I'm very pleased with my upgrade and Atlantic BB service. It's only been a few days, so I'm anxious to see how the performance holds up and how often service interruptions occur. The outside plant seems to be fairly well kept from a physical infrastructure perspective, and now we'll see how often "unscheduled maintenance" events happen to occur further upstream.

I have only Internet data service from Atlantic BB, so no review or comments on their VoIP or video offerings. For various reasons, I'm very unlikely to give up my Vonage service, and presently have DirecTV for video which seems to have a better HD and DVR feature set.

** UPDATE - Two weeks in, and service has remained solid. I have cancelled my DSL service and will be sticking with ABB based on performance so far. I've run occasional speed tests at various times during the day, and the bandwidth measurements have remained consistent. (Upstream performance as reported in the speedtest is actually a little higher since my router has an egress traffic shaper tuned to just below the actual capacity for the QoS feature to work.)

Comments:

Review by streaming3 See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Customer service, installation, speed, price"
Bad "Nothing so far"
Overall "Very satisfied with Atlantic Broadband's Internet service"

Atlantic Broadband (AB), which was bought by Canadian-based Cogeco in July 2012, is my cable provider (near South Miami). I had AT&T DSL 6 Mbps service, but I wanted to experiment with its DOCSIS 3.0 Internet service because it was priced very competitively and could provide superior bandwidth. I selected the 30 Mbps/3 Mbps plan for $45. In addition, there was an introductory service promotion for six months (about $26 a month). However, after reading reviews about AB, especially in the Miami area, I was prepared for the worst. And yet, I had one of the smoothest installation experiences ever.

First, I called the company to get additional information. The installation would be $40, and I would purchase the Harris cable modem for $89. My installation appointment was the next day between 12:30 and 4:30 pm. The customer service representative was friendly and efficient.

Second, the technician arrived on time at 12:45 pm the next day. He was experienced, efficient, and friendly. He deployed a new coaxial line from the tap to my home office. Two hours later, I was on the web and had 30 Mbps/3 Mbps Internet service. What I really liked about the installation is that I was able to connect my D-Link DIR-655 wireless router to the Harris modem without problems. This is a key reason why I did not select the available U-Verse service (the gateway includes both the modem and the wireless router).

Out of curiosity, I asked the technician why there are so many negative comments about AB service, especially in Miami Beach. He replied that service is quite tricky in Miami Beach because, despite hardware replacements, salt continues to corrode the cable equipment in that area.

Thus far, I am very satisfied with AB's Internet service. I have had consistently 30 Mbps/3 Mbps bandwidth without interruptions.

Comments:

Review by flipper9 See Profile

• Location: Johnstown,Cambria,PA
Good "Great speed for money for this area"
Bad "Only choice in this area"
Overall "Good service, always has been reliable"

Just upgraded from DOCSIS 2 to 3 modem, got faster service 20mbps down and 2bmps up for 12 month $39.99 introductory price. Had called several times prior and they said that deal wasn't available, but got it eventually. It's no FIOS, but pretty good for this rural area.

Comments:

Review by GaryK See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Price, but only because my condo has a bulk deal."
Bad "Downtime is outrageous!"
Overall "I'd change providers if I could."

I've had DSL from AT&T for many years now. I want to get rid of my home phone and use only my cellphone so I signed-up for Atlantic Broadband HSI. My first call to them was eight days ago. I called on every single day after that. I could never reach a human. Nobody that I left voicemail for returned my calls. I finally got mad today and that seems to have gotten me through to an actual human. Once that happened things went very smoothly.

From the time I spoke with someone until I was up and running was just a few hours; the time it took to place the order, pick up the modem; an excellent Motorola SURFboard, get some cable, and switch the connection from my DSL to cable. This doesn't make up for the previous poor customer service. But it was worthy of note.

Installation was very easy. I had no problems at all doing it myself. The connection worked on the first try. My connection speeds for the same promised numbers (8mbps/768kbps) as my DSL were noticeably faster. In otherwords, I could see pages rendering much faster. Uploads speeds were also much faster.

I'll update my review again in a week when I have something more substantial to comment on with regard to the actual connection reliability.

Again, so far customer service goes they may as well not have any. It was awful. I practically had to beg them to let me become a customer. If I had another option I would have taken it. However I'm in a condo association with bulk cable so my options are DSL or ABB cable.

UPDATED: March 29, 2011

Unfortunately, I'm still stuck with Atlantic Broadband.

I've never seen a cable provider with as many scheduled maintenance windows at this one has. It's not unusual to have both internet and TV down from midnight until 6:00 AM at least once per week. This past week there were three of these scheduled downtimes.

When they manage to keep everything working my service seems good. Unfortunately, they seem to have problems keeping the system up and running. In the past year I've had many outages that lasted from several hours to over two days. There is no such thing as a brief outage with this company.

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "fastest speeds in the area"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "recommended ISP"

I was a little suspicious when I moved to this residential area, all my friend told me DSL had a much better bandwidth. But at 12MB/s when DSL can barely reach 6MB/s in the area, I had to give it a try. Coming from Comcast, I had high level expectations in terms of service and connection speed. Well I have to admit that I've been very happy so far: Customer service was competent, they knew exactly what I wanted. The guy who come for the installation had to set a new line from the electric poll in the backyard into the kitchen. He easily spent 60 minutes doing so. In terms of speed, it's really fast... no complains really, online tests show 11mb/s. As far as reliability I can speak yet, I only had service for a week.

Really the only downside is the price, it's a little pricier than DSL: but wait... you want to give them a call. The lady on the phone gave me a special 12mb/s for the price of 6, during 12 months.

That's worth getting hooked right ?

(review was emailed from domain crionics.com)

Comments:

Review by BUCKY1077 See Profile

• Location: Altoona,Blair,PA

Had verizon dsl got rid of it and their phone service due to very bad customer service and LOUSY tech support

Comments:

Review by The18thLettr See Profile

• Location: Miami Beach,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Great customer service, price and speed."
Bad "Hardware is recycled, but all companies do that."
Overall "You can't beat Atlantic BB when it comes to their services, internet reliability and cost. and"

My building has a deal where Atlantic Broadband gives a discount on the bill plus free HBO if you sign up with them, so when we moved in we chose them outright. Other ISP options included Comcast, Verizon DSL and BellSouth. We've had BellSouth, and they were pretty good. But we have no use for a landline. Comcast is way too shady; they have no trust or integrity. So we chose Atlantic BB.

Their customer service is great! Every time I call, my wait is very short, and the person I speak with is very knowledgeable. Whenever there's an outage and I call to inform them, they always have a recorded message stating that they're aware of the issue and have techs onsite attempting to resolve it. They're always on top of things. As for initial setup, I called a week before I moved in and they were there the day I moved in to get me activated. The movers were still moving boxes as the tech was leaving!

As for price, they're very competitive when compared to the likes of Comcast who are usually overpriced. For internet alone, I pay $48.95 for 12 Mbps/768Kbps down and up. I have a Motorola modem; the first unit they gave me died, so they replaced it with a new one same day, though I did have to go to their offices to swap it out myself. That's standard practice in this business, though, as I had to do the same with Time Warner when I lived in NYC.

The only bad experiences I've had with Atlantic BB was with their DVR boxes dying on me a few times for the cable service. It's clear that they recycle old units, again, as do most other providers. The modem died once in my three years with them.

As for good experiences, the fact that I only have to call them about once a year is a testament to their service and reliability for internet service. Smart, friendly techs, low prices, no contract and high reliability. What else could you ask for?