InPhonex page on DSLReports

Review by hickins See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
Good "good over all quality"
Bad "FALSE ADVERTISING!!!!!"
Overall "If you want to call overseas, InPhonex is not for you!!!"

When I first signed in, I read one review and it wasn't bad at all about InPhonex, and the reason why I signed, because they have "UNLIMITED" calling plan overseas, and that will cut some cost on me calling my family every week-end.

The sign up process was very smooth, I got it up and running in no time (I'm a very techy person).

I started making calls to my family overseas and to Europe every weekend, and since I have an "UNLIMITED" plan, I tend to talk for 1 to 2 hours every weekend, believing that this is what I paid for.

Today I have received an email from Inphonex that says:

"The calling patterns in your account do not seem to be that of a
typical residence. It is necessary for you to upgrade the account to
avoid interruption of service. Please review the plans found on the
above link. If you do not find a plan to suit your needs, please
contact sales@inphonex.com to discuss your options. When contacting
us, provide your 7 digit Virtual Number so we can easily identify your account."

and they have enclosed the term that disclose this copied from the legal documents (yes the 10 pages legal stuff in a light grey font that NO ONE READS) and this is what it says:

"4. Terms of use for Individual Service

For InPhonex Individual service user, the Service is provided to you
as an individual user, for your personal, residential, non-business
and non-professional use. This means that you are not to use it for
any commercial or governmental activities, profit-making or
non-profit, including but not limited to home office, business,
sales, tele-commuting, telemarketing (including without limitation
charitable or political solicitation or polling), autodialing,
continuous or extensive call forwarding, fax broadcast, fax blasting
or any other activity that would be inconsistent with normal
individual usage patterns. This also means that you are not to resell
or transfer the Service to any other person for any purpose, or make
any charge for the use of the Service, without express written
permission from InPhonex. You agree that your use of the Service
provided to you by any other person for any business or governmental
purpose will obligate you to pay InPhonex's higher rates for business
service on account of all periods, including past periods, in which
you use, or used, the Service for business or governmental purposes.
InPhonex reserves the right to immediately terminate or modify the
Service, if InPhonex determines, in its sole discretion, that
Customer's Service is being used for non-individual or business use."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------

I used the service for personal use, I don't have home office, and I absolutely don't use for any kind of business (I don't have even one), and I have set it for call forwarding but no one called me yet on that line because no one know the number yet!!

They are telling me that I have some sort of a LIMITED unlimited plan, everything is grey, and you don't have limits but don't use it much, and we have the right to terminate your service any time we wish if you use lots of your UNLIMITED minutes!!

All what I can see now is FALSE ADVERTISING!!!!!

Their website is somewhat informative and I did find it useful, but I rated it as worst because they did not disclose a VERY important piece of information about the limits of their UNLIMITED!! calling plan

--- update Feb 8, 2010
I decided to reason with them and I've sent them an email asking them to identify a calling pattern that they consider as "typical residential usage" so that I can follow and avoid troubles and service interruption and I got the below response:

"As you know, there is no amount of minutes allowed per month for the Unlimited Plans. The Unlimited Plans are monitored in several ways including but not limited to: length of calls, numbers called, time of day calls are made, overlapping calls, interval between calls, number of calls per day, number of attempted calls and other factors used to determine a users calling habits.
You have agreed with the terms posted on our website »www.inphonex.com/includes/voip-d···er=world when signed up."

Again, they left me in a grey area, I completely lost here, so I've sent them back my exact calling pattern and asked them if this is considered as residential!!! I don't know if they'll ever respond to that! I don't know if it worth being that patient and do not just cancel the service!

If anyone knows a good alternative, I really appreciate some help here!

-----------------------------------------
update Feb 10, 2010

After opening a ticket to discuss the issue with reason, we came to an understanding and everything went ok, and then exacly 5 mins later, they sent me another email to tell me that they cancelled my service without mentioning the reasons!!

The reason "might" be (I'm not sure) that they read an old angry email that I've sent before 3 or 4 days that I have asked them to explain why they are limiting my service, and I have asked them to cancel my service if they fail to provide a valid reason, but I have opened a ticket and we cleared out the issue and I decided to stay with them (because I didn't find another provider so far!!!)

my rating....... they still suck!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
update Feb 15, 2010

Been very patient with them, yes they read an old angry email that I wrote and treated it like a service ticket, I do see this as a glitch in their systems, as I can literally open 1000000 tickets with a bulk mailer application, what they'll do then? treat them all as a service ticket? anyways, I had to go through long waiting phone calls and explained the whole thing again, the rep was not very bad, she was cooperative in a way, but one thing I didn't like, after I suggested that I can open another account if it's too difficult to return the same service, and that can only happen if they provide a refund, her response was that she'll ONLY do a refund if I request and pay for another plan, I was already in my first month and I can have a full refund if I want, I did not understand why they had me pay for another plan and then give me a refund?! anyways I was only trying to get my service back, so I did and they gave me my refund.......

I did all this because I could not find an alternative......

my rating ..... call quality is very good but their system still sucks!

Comments:

Review by raisen See Profile

• Location: Pensacola,Escambia,FL
Good "Good price"
Bad "Misleading price plans"
Overall "Not worth"

They advertise as "Unlimited" World call but after using the service for about two weeks, I received an email asking to upgrade to a higher plan ($90 more per month) in order to keep my service. They claimed that I was using their service for business purpose which it's a lie as I don't own a business. Not worth and not reliable.

Comments: