ELECTRONICBOX page on DSLReports

Review by JoshuaAlguir See Profile

• Location: Saint-Laurent,QC
Good "Customer Support, excellent speed"
Bad "There is no confirmation for install"
Overall "All around good provider"

This is an update of my review since we have switched to cable service - Extreme Cable 30 for $52.95/month. My previous review of the DSL service is below after the asterisk line.

DSL follow-up:

After this review a EBox representative contacted me to say they'll take the DSL modem back at the price I paid ($120), which was appreciated. The technical issue I had with DSL (see below) just stopped happening about 3-4 weeks ago and DSL service has been excellent since then. I still have no idea what the problem was.

Cable service:

The good is that my speeds with cable are excellent. On speedtest my download is over 30 and upload is 10, as advertised. Ping is an extremely low 8ms. I've only had the service for a few days but it's great so far.

The bad is the installation. Not the actual installation (which went well) but rather the coordination for the installation. When I initially requested cable installation I specified that I would be away for a week and the install had to occur after my return. So when I returned I was surprised to find a series of phone messages chronicling the scheduling, arrival and missed appointment for my cable installation. There was no problem re-scheduling the install but unlike the first time I received no email notification for when the new install would occur. I had to call an EBox rep to find out the details.

Bottom line is that there is no confirmation for when the installation will occur, only a notification (they send an email and/or leave a phone message and hope you get it). IMO they should not be sending a technician to my home before I confirm that I will actually be there to receive them.

Overall Experience:

EBox reps/support are fairly easy to get a hold of and they are competent. Support is not as good as Videotron (I had videotron cable for three years) but it is OK and the value is far higher with EBox. I don't understand why anyone would buy direct from Videotron who have little respect for loyal customers. Third party providers (at least EBox) are a fantastic way of getting good connections while avoiding the obnoxious tier 1 ISPs.

Now if only EBox would provide IP-TV so I can get rid of Videotron completely.

**********************

I ordered the VDSL 25/10 package ($51/month) on Jan 29th and the technicians came Feb 06th.

Installation: The EBox sales rep told me that we could schedule an evening only hook-up but when I spoke with Bell they would only do 12 noon until 9 pm which is inconvenient. The Bell tech arrived around 4pm on Feb 6th and installed new hardware for the VDSL at the central near my building. At this point my modem was connecting and I had internet. The Telecon tech arrives an hour later and installed a filter to reduce service calls (his words) on my phone jack. He made sure the internet still worked then left. Speedtest at this time was 25/10, exactly what I ordered.

Hardware: I received my SR505N VDSL modem in the mail on Fri Jan 31st which cost $120 to buy and $15 shipping. The web interface is terrible - it feels like a website from 1995.

Problems: A couple days after installation we started getting disconnects. The DSL LED on the modem would leave the solid state and start blinking. Diagnostics page on the modem indicated that the xDSL connection failed - my modem could not synch the VDSL connection. The disconnects were very irregular in time and interval. Sometimes we would get three in one day and sometimes none. Sometimes they lasted 10 mins and sometimes 6+ hours. There was no pattern for time of day either (e.g. we noticed outages at ~3am).

After about 50 emails back and forth with EBox support, a loaner SR505N modem to test, an additional visit from a Telecon tech and an additional service call to Bell (which will cost $100) the problem still exists. One thing I find odd about my issue is that none of the techs ever checked the demarcation point in my building - no one even asked to go there. Prior to this I had DSL and when the Bell tech came for the DSL install three years ago he installed a dry-loop in the demarcation point in my building. I still technically have that DSL service active through Acanac so I find it odd that no one cared about what's going on there.

Everyone tells me the problem is inside my unit and I disagree, but their internet works and mine doesn't. So after two months I'm giving up and switching to cable again with ElectronicBox. Although I'm disappointed my issue was never resolved and paying another $300 for installation is annoying, their support was pretty good to deal with. At least compared to Acanac or Bell.

PS: I put 2.5Mb upload in my info because that's what it is right now. Though at one point it was a solid 25/10 - my profile was changed to try and mitigate my connection issue.

PPS: Anyone want to buy an SR505N VDSL modem?

Comments:
LanAdmin

join:2010-11-07
Montreal, QC
·ELECTRONICBOX

Bad phone wiring acting as an antenna

A couple years ago, I got the same problem as you after an upgrade from DSL 1.5mbps to 5mbps. Bell came test everything. The problem was the wiring to the phones not to the DSL modem. Bell technician said my bad phone wiring was acting as an antenna.

I went to Home Depot, bought phone cable, change the cable from the demarcation point to one phone jack, cut all other phone cables and bought one wireless phone with 4 handsets.

Review by softhaus See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "connection"
Bad "everything else"
Overall "some regret being with your company"

lack of information at inscription, like my server adress won't work with your smtp. information is badly pass. ASLL THE TIME. Serioulsy, I regret I've change to you. Oh, and also, why should I have to fill this shit only in english? you take money from french canadian but don't bother serve them well?

well...

Comments:
statiC_

join:2014-02-07

lol

1) These forums are DSLREPORTS and not Electronic box forums. They don't make the rules here and they don't choose the language for you.

2) If you have servers that require special settings to be able to work, it's your own responsability to ask those questions at inscription. Ebox does have the exact same restrictions as any other Quebec cable providers.

3) Call support before anything else when you have issues, it's your first step.

Review by Milene See Profile

• Location: Farnham,QC
Good "Service Internet rapide, fiable, efficace; le meilleur rapport qualité-prix!"

Excellent service Internet haute vitesse, rapide et fiable; meilleur rapport qualité-prix qui soit! Je recommanderais ce service à tous. Personnel courtois et honnête. Je suis abonnée avec eux depuis 3 mois et j'ai une très bonne expérience jusqu'à maintenant avec Electronic Box.

Comments:

Review by Lou_cardinal See Profile

• Location: Notre-Dame-De-L'Ile-Perrot,QC
Good "Monthly payment"
Bad "Details of facturation"
Overall "I would recomand the service"

I was switching from a fiber to a cable internet service, therefore the teck support from videotron (compagny who owns the cable network) had to come to my house to install the connection outside the house. So the main inconvenient was that videotron sent us the teck person about 10 days after i had contacted electronic box and i find the delay rather long.

The facturation details is not easy to understand. I know exactly how much Go im using, the problem redides in the summary. The only thing i want to know is if i have reached my dload limit for the time period. I dont have that summary.

Very good customer services, easier to reach through emails.

Comments:

Review by joebart See Profile

Good "Good price and service"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "I can recommend them to anyone"

I had basic no limit DSL for years with them with absolutely no problem whatsoever.. One day decided to discontinue Bell phone line and switched to Cable 25. Again I have no problem with the service. I could find a provider for a slightly lower price but I like the company and their service...

Comments:

Review by farfeline See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "beaucoup moins cher, pas de problème de connection depuis l'installation"
Bad "le staff ne semble pas recevoir tous la même info. Parfois, information écrite, juste en anglais"
Overall "disons que c'est une jeune compagnie...90% satisfait, mais il y a des lacunes à rectifier...ils vont s'améliorer, je suis sûr."

15 mgp, 125 gb...le branchement a été smooth, mais semble-t-il que tous les employés ne reçoivent pas la même info...à propos de la facturation, j'ai reçu 3 infos différentes...aucun paiement mensuel ne devait passé sur ma carte avant la mi-mai ( premier et deuxiéme intervenant contactés m'ont dit que la facturation se faisait le 7 du mois, et crédité le 14 de chaque mois ) et finalement, tout a passé...le 23 avril !!! Pas très content avec cette situation, mais enfin...par contre, la connection n'a aucun problème...

Aussi, on devrait pouvoir voir notre consommation internet dans notre compte 24/24 ,( l'idées d'envoyer un courriel à 90% de consommation serait une bonne idée a implanter) ce qui n'est pas le cas en ce moment. Et je présume qu'une bonne partie de votre clientèle est francophone, donc il serait apprécié qu'il y ait un effort pour que le tout soit en français...j'ai souvent tombé sur des pages juste en anglais. ( comme celles-ci...) Bref, satisfait, sauf pour ces petites lacunes...

#GG75, numéro de compte

Comments:
statiC_

join:2014-02-07

vous pouvez voir votre conso 24/24... entre ton username sur leur page pour vérifier la conso et le tour est joué.

DSLREPORTS n'appartient pas a EBOX. leur site en entier est en francais et les emails sont en francais.

Pour le staff, on ne peut y échapper, surement que la compagnie a du engager plusieurs nouveaux qui ne sont pas encore 100% =)

Review by etienne See Profile

• Location: Boucherville,QC
Good "Cost, speed, reliability"
Bad "Tech support ok - no more"
Overall "Excellent value for the money"

I recommend ElectronicBox.

Comments:

Review by Diasenand See Profile

• Location: Longueuil,QC

got a fast and reliable internet

Comments:

Review by lavoieeric See Profile

• Location: Crabtree,QC
Good "Smooth transition between Videotron and Electronic Box"
Bad "Nothing yet."
Overall "I recomend it"

Lowest cable speed ordered. Easy installation.
Client LE94.

Comments:

Review by ibanezSZ520 See Profile

• Location: Joliette,QC
Good "Everything is good,service,price, ect."
Bad "nothing bad"
Overall "recommended for everyone"

the only bad side was the time to wait for the installation the guy told me (1 to 3 week) but it took 8 days,
otherwise,everything is fine