ELECTRONICBOX page on DSLReports

Review by faz007 See Profile

• Location: East York,ON
Good "Installed on time, ISP and customer service were great, Best rate "
Bad "15 to 30 Business days before install"
Overall "Satisfied"

What package did you order, at what advertised monthly price?

I got the group by for the promotion package 30/5 cable for $27

How was the order & install process?

I had requested Disconnection date on June 16 with Start for around June 30. EBox could not install on that date and asked me to push the disconnection date. Back and forth on call with Start, I was able to push the date but since Start do not do pro-rated payment I decided to stay with them for one more month. Requested d/c date of July 30th and informed EBox. Still had Start on 30th. 31st I had a downtime of around 7-8 hours since I woke up. I was at work so didnt affect that much. Was online around 5pm. Modem log showed around 3pm modem was reset so maybe that was for the new ISP. Had to factory reset my Apple Time Capsule since wifi wasn't working. Bottom line it went very smooth and nothing like the horror stories other people had with install. I wold like to thank both ISP's Start and Ebox.

What brand/model was the supplied equipment?

Had my own DCM475 router from Start

What good or bad experiences most struck you?

Had a very pleasant experience so far. I have seen lot of negativity about EBox and their install fiasco. So just wanted to share something positive

Comments:

Review by resare See Profile

• Location: Greenfield Park,QC
Good "Very reliable connection. Great on the wallet ;)"
Bad "Activation snag (human error....hey they're humans !)"
Overall "Happy customer, reliable, good priced"

Moved from bhell dsl to cable (my first time with cable)

Install went well. The technician from cable company had to wire from the street (old house never had cable tv). Did a clean job, used the electric entrance cabinet to ground the cable and separate incoming cable from street from cable to house (is this SOP for a new install ?)

Went through a minor activation snag. At the said date of activation, modem would not sync. I finally figured out That the ebox staffer on the phone did a typo when inputting the S/N of the modem I purchased from them. 12 hrs later i was connected.

This being my first experience with cable internet, I also was caught by the MAC address thingy... Did the first connection with my laptop straight into the modem, then connected the router.......figured out after a little googling that I should reboot the modem when switching like that.

Since that day, no problems ! Stable, fast connection . Moved from bell dsl 6/750kb to cable 10/1.

Not regretting this at all.

Ps... Knowing that Ebox CEO is a regular of dslr and seeing the activity of the ebox forum on dslr convinced me to switch.

Update 2014-07:
Been a happy customer for almost 18 months now. Not a single disconnection noticed ! I strongly recommend this ISP to DSLR members. Using 10/1 with 250 Gb monthly. Great things lie ahead for Ebox if you continue providing great service like this

member for 2 years, 736 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by AMailer See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
Good "2am-to-2pm Unlimited; No dry-loop fees; Good speeds"
Bad "Sagemcom sync-no-surf issues"
Overall "Great value for your money"

I placed an order for Electronic Box's FTTN Extreme 25 DSL package (in Ontario) approximately 30 days before my cancellation from my previous internet service provider, Bell Canada. I was switching from Bell's Fibe 25/10 with Fibe TV.

On the day of installation the I had two tech visits; the first installed a pot splitter and left. The second came and simply did some checks (and apparently changed something outside of the apartment) and made sure my internet was up and running.

Since installation I have been able to get up to full 25/10 speeds and no major downtimes have occurred since.

The biggest issue I've encountered was the "sync-no-surf" issue with the Sagemcom modems from bell. It became extremely frustrating having my internet connection suddenly become unresponsive with the need to reboot my modem sometimes 2-3 times a week. I have since however called up Electronic Box and asked them to switch me to an interleave profile which - while not having resolved the problem completely - it has definitely reduced the frequency to reboot the modem to around a month if not a bit more.

Overall, great customer service when I was in need of it, speeds are now good even though pings are slightly higher due to the interleave profile - but the connection is now what I would deem reliable.

My complaint would be that Electronic Box does not seem to have an exchange program available (at least as of yet) to get my Sagemcom replaced with a SmartRG modem which is suppose to completely fix the so-called "sync-no-surf" issue.
Hoping that this will change however soon!

Update June 6th, 2014:
--------------------------------
After my sagecom modem started restarting during full speed downloads, I contacted ElectronicBox and they sent me the new SmartRG modem as a free exchange!

Now everything is working perfectly, I'm also back on the fastpath profile.

Getting in touch with support was instant - and the support staff was great. +1

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3547903073

member for 10.6 years, 3266 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

eboxdanny

To AMailer

Good day,

Thank you for sharing your experience with our company. In order for us to exchange a modem (example: Sagemcom), it has to be defective and it has to of to of been purchased from our company. The modem has to be under warranty and once the technical support has confirmed these mentions, only then are we able to exchange this equipment.

We are glad that you are satisfied with your internet connection and please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any inquiries.

Regards.

Bell Sagemcom sync-no-surf

Why did you give Ebox only 75% on "Connection reliability"? Your problem was with Bell Sagemcom modem not Ebox network.

AMailer
Aaron DM

join:2004-04-03

Re: Bell Sagemcom sync-no-surf

And it affects my connection.

Having said that, I will be updating it. Connection has been rock solid ever since they swapped my modem for a SmartRG.

Review by Jason1539 See Profile

• Location: Val-Des-Monts,QC
Good "Monthly price, Qc product."
Bad "False information at the start by the seller, FTTN Speed, xtra charges $$"

J'étais avec Bell fibe 15-10 depuis 2 ans. Ma vitesse maximale était de 12 mbps. J'ai contacté electronic box car ils offraient le FTTN 10 et le représentant des ventes a qui j'ai parlé m'a assuré que j'aurais du 10 mbps a ma ligne (et non jusqu'a) et si je voulais le FTTN je pourrais même avoir du 14.5 ce qui était beaucoup mieux que Bell. J'ai donc effectué la cancellation chez bell et je me suis abonné chez Ebox. Je trouvais que la facture du départ était dispendieuse (222$) car j'ai acheté le modem (120$), j'ai payé le premier mois et j'ai payé la moitié du prix d'installation (25$). L'installation a prit beaucoup de temps a mon avis (15 jours) et le technicien de bell est finalement arrivée chez moi pour ne rien faire me disant que la ligne était déjà en place. Donc je me retrouvais a payer un frais d'installation pour une raison un peu inconnue. Puis, lorsque j'étais finalement branché avec Ebox, ma vitesse ne pouvait être de plus de 8.5-8.6-8.7 alors que le représentant m'avait assuré du 10 mbps. J'étais très déçu et j'ai appelé Ebox qui m'ont offert 3$ de rabais pour les 6 prochains mois. J'ai demandé a avoir le forfait FTTN 15 et avoir un rabais sur ce forfait car je ne pourrai probablement avoir plus que du 12 comme avec bell. Le service a la clientèle m'a donc offert le forfait FTTN 15 avec le même rabais que la FTTN 10 (un gros 3$ mais pour 8 mois). De plus, je me retrouve a payer un frais pour changement de forfait de 25$ et je n'ai pas le choix de payer ce frais. Le superviseur m'a offert un 10$ sur ce frais qui je trouve ne devrait pas m'être chargé car j'aurais tenté ma chance avec FTTN 15 au départ si j'avais su tout ces inconvénients. Le superviseur était sensé me rappellé hier et ne l'a pas fait encore concernant le changement. J'avais hâte d'encourage une compagnie québécoise et je me retrouve décu de tout les frais supplémentaires et de la vitesse internet a mon domicile.

Comments:
LanAdmin

2 edits

Il y en a qui ne sont jamais contant

Lorsque tu étais avec Bell, tu devais être sur un profile avec correction d'erreur à cause de la mauvaise qualité de ligne Bell. En changent pour Ebox, cela n'a pas amélioré la qualité de ta ligne. Ta vitesse de 8.6Mbps est donc normale.

Ebox t'a très bien traité en t'offrant des rabais auquels tu n'aurais pas dû avoir droit.

blakenet

join:2011-03-15

Re: Il y en a qui ne sont jamais contant

je crois que expliqué de cette facon il ne comprendra pâs tout a fait :P

ebox et les autres fournisseurs independants sont depandant des lignes de transmission de bell et videotron au quebec, selon lanadmin, lorsque tu etait avec bell, il ont surement fait des modifications sur ta ligne pour que tu obtienne ton 12 mbit (le tout du a une mauvaise ligne chez toi) en fesant le saut de ebox, cette modification a été oubliée "volontairement ou pas" et bell n'aura surement pas la meme volonté ''doptimiser" la ligne problematique dun client tpia

et biensur quand on te dit 14.5 c'est dans de bonnes conditions, personellement je crois pas que tu aura plus que bell du moins au depart, tu aura surement du 12mbit max sur ton forfait 15 comme tu avais avec bell, mais advenant le cas, comparé a etre avec bell si tu te plaint de basse vitesse il feront surement une demande a bell pour ameliorer le tout
non mais... ca speux tu

blakenet

join:2011-03-15

Re: Il y en a qui ne sont jamais contant

le point ou ebox se demarquera de bell c du coté service client, quand tu aura un probleme ca se reglera beaucoup plus vite
non mais... ca speux tu

Review by alexb See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Unlimited usage, fair price"
Bad "Had some customer service issues"
Overall "Service is okay"

·VMedia
Edit: Issue was sorted out by Jean-Philippe.

Had my internet service cut off twice because of their failure to send me a bill! They made a typo in the billing email address on file, which I told them about THREE times, yet they still didn't fix it! Worst part is that it's an @electronicbox.net email address. And when I called today about this, they said they would "waive the late payment fee" as if they were doing me a huge favour.

The internet service itself is okay.

Comments:

Lebon14

join:2009-08-05
Canada

At least, try contacting Diskace here!

You should contact "Diskace" on this forum to get this sorted. I'm pretty sure there was a misunderstanding somewhere.

I think that the review is a bit unfair though... That's just my point of view though.
Eurobeat and B'z forever.

diskace
Electronic Box CEO
join:2002-02-21

initial response

Thank you for contacting me. I am very sorry to hear you had a bad experience. This should not reflect the level of service we are committed to give.

I confirm a typo was made on the email address. As a result the notices were not sent and the account got suspended eventually. I understand the frustration and would like to apologize for this unfortunate repeated human mistake.

I will followup with you by email.
Electronic Box Inc. - Jean-Philippe Béïque
Ebox forum »ELECTRONICBOX

Need to be organized

You have two choices: Use a credit card as a trouble free solution or pay your bill at a fix date every month. You know you have to pay the bill every month. You should not need a bill to remember that.
alexb

join:2010-01-13
Ottawa, ON
·VMedia

Re: Need to be organized

Thanks for your very late (2 years later?) and condescending comments.

1. I posted that review on behalf of my elderly mother who pays her bills by bringing them to a bank teller. If she never received one she would not have thought of paying it.
2. She didn't know what the billing cycle was because she never received a bill when she was supposed to.
3. Not everyone is comfortable with companies debiting their accounts or charging their credit cards automatically.
4. The point of the review was that they cut off her service on two occasions with no warning because of their own repeated mistake, even after I personally told them multiple times.
5. It's not the customer's responsibility to work around or find a solution to a company's mistakes.

Review by iamhere See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Great service, Great price, Great tech support"
Bad "What to expect on install day wasn't communicated fully and clearly - hopefully this has improved since I've joined"
Overall "Updated - was: Best ISP I've used over the years. now: Room for improvement."

Signed up for DSL 15/1 initially but eventually upgraded to DSL 25/10 with a free dry loop.

I've been a customer for a while now. Only just recently have I had a need to call tech support for an issue. By far, my best support experience with any ISP I have every used. The technician (on both calls) listened to my problem, answered what he could and told me when he didn't know the answer to something I asked. Overall a pleasant experience even if the issue still persists to a lesser degree (I'm not fully convinced the problem is with ebox, I think it may be a problem with some bell equipment).

I would recommend this service to anyone who is moderately technical and can deal with some of their own troubleshooting.

UPDATE 06/02/14: While I continue to receive exactly the service I pay for, I wouldn't be so enthusiastic in recommending Ebox to friends and family. I was left less than impressed the last couple of times I had to call them for various reasons (nothing major but getting two different answers to the same question at two different times never sits well with me). Also, English questions / comments posted to these forums seem to often go answered. It's nothing huge at the moment but the little things certainly seem to be amiss. I believe this also comes through when reading up on issues experienced by others. So, it's the status quo for me - if this was a stock my recommendation would change from a strong buy to a hold. I'm hopeful they won't make their way to the sell category.

member for 1.8 years, 750 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by claudecyr See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Service, speed"
Bad "Download limit (capped)"
Overall "overall good"

31.95 + taxes but after few months the price has increase by 2 dollars.

Comments:

Review by chall2k56 See Profile

• Location: Stittsville,ON
Good "Solid network connectivity"
Bad "Wasn't available sooner"
Overall "Another Great alternatiove to RoBellus"

·Acanac
·WIND Mobile
I started out as one of the Beta testers in Ontario for Cable services in Ontario.

Services are equal to that of the local incumbent, but at much cheaper rates.

There is no peak congestion outside of a congested node (would affect everyone in a small area if this is the case)

You will need a DOCSIS 3 modem for the service. EBox provides the Thompson DCM476 as it's default cable modem, and is capable of well over 150Mbps Downstream (a plan that may be offered in the future)

EBox is also working on an off-peak download option, so you may be able to download large files and torrents off peak to save your bandwidth quota

I haven't needed to use Technical Support, so I didnt rate for that

Update May 26 2014:

I have had 1 major service outage when there was a Fiber cut in Downtown Montreal, but other than that, it has been rock solid

There are also some new speeds coming at the end of the month 10/1, 30/5, 60/10 (not sure if ebox will offer the 150/15)

Comments:

Review by ostieca See Profile

• Location: h7n 0b5
Good "Reliable"
Bad "The SmartRG modem section is great, but the manual and wi-fi sections are missing some details and features."
Overall "Great company to make business with."

Great customer service from the pre-sale up to the post-sale. Once Bell fixed its network issues, the connection became faster than expected and rock solid. It's good to see this young local team being so serious about their products. Highly recommended.

Comments:

eboxdanny

To ostieca

Thank you very much for your comments. We appreciate you taking the time to share your opinion about our company.

Have a nice day.

Review by andr33 See Profile

Overall "Excellent choice"

- I chose basic dsl 6mbs. It is excellent for most purposes, except things like streaming video, where slight delays would matter.

- unlimited during 2h..14h ; limit 100G 14h..2h (afternoon/evening)

--- The current usage during limited and unlimited periods is available on line, very quick to access. (Only client code is required.)

- 30,95/mo (no hidden costs). There is an additional fee if don't have regular phone service from Bell, like most if not all ISPs.

- no activation fee.

- is probably the lowest price available for DSL.

- the quality of service is identical to Bell, which is good. Since I now have my own modem (separate from my router), it works a bit better. (Bell provides a combined router/modem.)

- required automatic charging to a credit card (or maybe automatic debit). which is convenient. (It is a fixed fee every month, unless you have a very high usage.)

- very fast and friendly sign up service, but they missed a few relatively minor details. (none relating to costs)

--- e.g., I was surprised that my credit card was charged for the first month right away instead of when service started about 2 weeks later. But that is not a problem, considering that there is no activation fee.

- after initial month, invoices are aligned to calendar month, which is nice

- each month is charged on credit card around 10th of previous month. (I end up having to pay one month later, so that is not bad.)

--- It may be different if one pays by automatic debit, if available.

- all invoices are sent by email, and are simple, clear, and compact.

- very fast response for technical support (compared to Bell, who shuffles you from person to person). Had to call them for an initial configuration problem. I sent them a suggestion about detailing technical info by email at the beginning, so that may be no longer a problem. (Only one of the many settings is different from that of Bell, probably so one connects to them instead of Bell.)

- for equipment, one can buy or rent from them. I chose to buy elsewhere. They made no attempt to coerce me, just saying that if the equipment was from them it would be preconfigured. Excellent approach. (If you are challenged configuring electronic devices, buying from them would be easier, but they will help you in any case.)

- In sum, they provide excellent service, and if you do have a configuration problem, are very helpful. And they have an excellent price for basic DSL (6Mbps), with a large limit.

I'm glad I switched to them.

Comments:

eboxdanny

To andr33

Good day,

Thank you very much for taking the time to offer the feedback associated with your experience with our company. Please feel free to contact us if you have any inquiries.

Regards,