ELECTRONICBOX page on DSLReports

Review by TiToine314 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "connection reliability, technicians know what they do, low prices"

I was on Videotron network and switched for Electronic box for the lower prices and big caps. I have contacted EBox the friday, received the cable modem the monday, and my connection was fully operational the wednesday...very very fast switch!

As the date of today, no complaint, connection is reliable (30/3mbps), low ping. I am very very happy with EBox.

Comments:

Review by SimonMTL See Profile

• Location: La Prairie,QC
Good "High speed packages at a fantastic price!"
Bad "Basic information about the account is not given unless you ask"
Overall "If you want fast cable internet, this is the place to be!"

I got the 20mbps cable internet package at 39.95$ for 150gb monthly limit (which was recently bumped from 15mbps and 120gb monthly limit for the same price!!!), including free web-hosting, which is a steal at that price! I expected installation to be within a month, but in 5 business days the technician was at my door, ready to install. I still rely on the good old rabbit ears with the antenna on the house, and he just added a new wire, all the way into my office. I got their supplied Thomson Docsis 3.0 at 99$ already set, which is an OK price.

Speedtest.net speeds are at 21mbps download and 2.1mbps upload, which is even faster than advertised! No ports are blocked, so I can actually also host my website on Mac OS X.

I was initially looking to get faster ADSL, but Bell Canada technicians told me they had no intentions to bring higher speeds to my neighbourhood, and the cable alternative with Videotron was too expensive for what it was. Luckily there is an alternative with ElectronicBox, and Ive already talked 2 of my friends into signing up with them.

I didn't like the fact that their FAQ was lacking with instructions for my particular modem (that they sold me), and I had to figure out the installation process (Network and Airport setup) from another source. They could have included specific installation instructions with the modem, but they didn't. My previous ISP had a nice little booklet detailing everything from modem plugging to email setup, both for PC and for Mac. They had NOTHING. If I had been a newbie I would have had a much more difficult time. Thumbs waaay down for that.

They do answer questions by email quickly. I just wish I didn't have to ask them very basic questions regularly (like my username, my password, my access code, my webpage ftp address, etc...). I still don't know what my included email address is! And I'm sure the tech support people are tired of answering the same questions over and over. Surely they could update their FAQ at least?

Simon Rioux

Comments:

Review by JEDI See Profile

• Location: Longueuil
Good "Great service, speed, monthly quota and price"
Overall "The best quality/price ratio for any ISP"

·Videotron
I was with Vidéotron before and it was reliable, speed was good but the price was really high (yearly increase with no valid justification besides the usual BS) and the monthly quota was crazy, way way way too low for a normal 2012 use. I switched to Electronic Box and it pretty much solved these issues. So far I don't have any reliability or speed issue (I am on 8/10 mbit/s connection though), the customer service is awesome (good presence on the forums, very appreciated). But the best is the monthly quota that makes sense (250 gig) and the price is quite good.

The only downside I could see is that the routing might not be as good as Vidéotron since they are a smaller provider (but I wasn't affected so far).

member for 9 years, 1032 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by petit295 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Really good service"
Overall "Best company from the small ones"

It is a really good company and a very good alternative to the big ISP. Their prices are similar to the other small ISP, but they offer a lot more choice. Their customer service is excellent. I love to know at what position I am when waiting on phone.

I recommand it to everybody

Comments:

Review by Le Grandchef See Profile

• Location: Vaudreuil-Dorion,QC
Good "Prix tres compititif, nombreux forfaits interressants."
Bad "Délais pour l'installation."
Overall "Alternatif des grands fournisseurs."

Je ne regret pas mon choix pour mon accès internet. Vitesse constante, bande passante plus que généreuse. Pour les gens qui ne veulent pas de soucis sur leurs consommations, voila un choix judicieux. Je me demande encore pourquoi j'ai payé pour l'installation alors que c'est moi qui l'ai fait...

Comments:

Review by msb12 See Profile

• Location: Lasalle,QC

On m'a conseillé electronic box, j'ai comparé les tarifs et c'est avec electronic box qu'on a les meilleurs prix pour le meilleur forfait internet.

L'installateur est venu à la date prévu. L'installation s'est fait rapidement et efficacement.

La seule chose que j'aime moins, c'est qu'il n'y a aucune option sur le site d'inscription et du sondage, pour s'inscrire en francais.

Comments:

Review by mihaitz See Profile

• Location: Laval,QC
Good "download caps better than big telcos, good customer service"
Bad "connection somehow unstable, especially evenings"
Overall "better value for money than big telcos"

I ordered cable 30 Mbps, got it installed in a reasonable period of 5-6 working days. Technician screwed up some things with my illico cable tv, I had to call Videotron to send in a new technician to fix everything (not Ebox's fault though). Good communication with sales/billing department (they always responded to my emails pretty fast). Connection is ok, only had like 2 disconnects in 2 weeks mainly early in the AM. Seems somehow fluctuating, meaning that download speeds (as per speedtest.net to ebox's server) seem to get lower especially in the evenings. Mainly pleasant experience with these guys so far, I would recommend them to my friends.

Comments:

Review by kukrapoke See Profile

• Location: Mirabel,QC
Good "good"

the best provider of unlimited cable connection

Comments:

Review by LoneCyclist See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "steady cable connection with steady speeds"
Bad "very long time to get the install"
Overall "much better value than dsl+dry loop"

Their vendor lied initially on the time it would take to set up the cable (tech visit from Videotron), "early next week" he said. I was waiting and waiting for this to happen and called in a few times pretty angry and threatening to void my subscription to finally get the cable guy show up on exactly the 15th day after I placed my order. After that all was fine.

Not good. Lie less, get happier customers who know what to expect!

The connection I am getting is 8mbps/1mbps with a 10ms ping most of the time, it's steady and speeds don't drop much during high traffic hours. Didn't notice any connection outages. I am using my own recycled cable modem, was charged $20 for that option. Routing can be problematic though, connection to some sites overseas may get slow at times, but I haven't investigated this further (it is not a DNS issue).

I am paying for the 250gb package on that speed, it's largely more than I use so far, the price is right and i don't need to worry about overuse. The fact that I never had to call tech support after I got over the installation hassle is a good sign. Also, there's no long-term contract, the payment is month by month.

client AE13

Comments:

Review by dperel15 See Profile

• Location: Hampstead,QC
Good "price"
Bad "wait time over the phone"
Overall "definitely worth it."

Very happy with the product, the information that was given over the phone, and the people i dealt with. The only thing that needs to be improved is obviously the time to answer a query over the phone; it someone takes 15 minutes!