ELECTRONICBOX page on DSLReports

Review by antoined See Profile

Good "technical support"

I have no bad remarks

Comments:

Review by AthanFurax See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "fiabilité, vitesse, rapport qualité / prix"
Bad "pas de pb à date"

- mise en route un peu longue (1 semaine et demi entre abonnement et installation effective...)
- 250GO à 8MB/s (10 en janvier) pour 42$ / mois
- acheté le modem Motorola SB5101N
- le service à la clientèle est excellent
Bref rien à redire. En fait la mise en route a été longue car ils étaient débordés après la publication
d'un article de Protégez-Vous...

Comments:

Review by shampoo0 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Fast connection"
Bad "Installation was troublesome"
Overall "Once it's up and running, best deal going if you are a power user"

I ordered 1 month in advance and the day the switch to take place, Videtron cancelled the transfer because I had remaining months on my contract and it was a business account.

This isn't Ebox's fault, but still rather annoying.

So EBox offered to set me up on a new hookup.. Which I did.

5 days later and a tech was at my place. When the tech left, he said it could take 3hrs for the connection to be made.

After 3hrs, still no connection. I called in and it appears my MAC address to the modem hadn't been entered into the system. Once that was done, everything was up and running.

Super fast, faster then advertised. Very polite people to deal with. They have come a long way since I last used them some 3+ years ago.

Comments:

Review by Xexiz See Profile

Good "Same internet cable, better package, much better prices!"
Bad "Customer service time response"

Seriously, why pay 54$ to Videotron when you can get the same internet, much more bandwith and higher speeds for much less money! Yeah their customer service won't be as quick as bigger companies with 4930 people to answer your call, but who cares. 32$ instead of 54$ speaks for itself. For the price I was paying highspeed, I could now have 20Mbps and 500Go instead of 8Mbps and 50Go. I'm recommanding all my friends to switch without hesitation!!

Comments:

Review by lilinhan0416

• Location: Montreal,QC

I had this Internet 3 month ago, I think it never disconnect and keep the highest speed. Also I convinced my friends to use it. It is great

(review was emailed from domain gmai.com)

Comments:

Review by eric32442 See Profile

• Location: Mascouche,QC
Good "very good"

the best one i founds !!!!!! i recommend this to everyone

Comments:

Review by Mikel See Profile

• Location: J4Z 0K2
Good "Speed and Capacity for the price"
Bad "have to get initial service from the local big telecom company for new house"
Overall "best Cable Internet for the price available in my area"

SpeedCable High Speed (8mb speed, 75gb cap initially but auto upgrade free of charge to 10mb/100gb starting from 2012/11); Model: Thomson DCM475 (Docsis 3.0)

Originally I tried to get their service for my new house in a new community (no cable from street post to my main electronic box), but got rejected because they could not get my house connected with the local big telecom company who provides Internet infrastructure for them, unless I were willing to pay $200 plus tax for the "engineering costs", in addition to the usual costs (installation, purchase and delivery of modem, first month of service).

So I had to turn to the big telecom to have my initial Internet connection for a few months, before returning to this ISP to get a better price for the same/similar service level.

After getting their service, the speed and reliability is so far so good - within my expectation - FYI, the big telecom offers the same free auto upgrade on speed/capacity in the same time frame.

They provides basic Internet usage reporting (as a web page). I wish they can provide usage warning notification for me to better monitor my Internet usage and plan ahead if needed.

Comments:

diskace
Electronic Box CEO
join:2002-02-21

Good day Mikel,

just wanted to clarify a detail here about the engineering cost for readers.

The 200$ fee is only charged upfront if your address is not in the database PLUS no close by neighbors addresses on the same side of street qualify for the service. That fee would have been refunded in your case because there was no construction cost involved.

The only rare moment where the fee is not refunded is when someone address would involve a network extension (construction cost involved). In such case, the 200$ would include a quote for the construction of the network to your house.

Hope this better clarify for readers. PM me if you would like more details.
Electronic Box Inc. - Jean-Philippe Béïque
Ebox forum »ELECTRONICBOX

Review by Bufito See Profile

Good "High speed 30mb/s"
Bad "Speed fluctuates a lot"
Overall "Good price and slighty better price than other providers."

Good customer service(there is room for improvement). Ordered 30 mb/s extreme high speed. Technician came after17 days efter the order. Very useful speed when downloading a lot of movies or using 2 computers at the same time. The only downside is that the speed fluctuates a lot especially in the evening or weekends, when a lot of people In the building are using internet( we all share Videotron cable). Bell Fibe is much better in this mater because is DSL and uses a dedicated line, so the speed will be steady. The price that you will pay for Bell will be much more than Electronicbox, and this ruins all the fun on having Bell. I have Extreme high speed 30mb/s and I am paying 50$ +tx monthly. Bought the modem, Thompson for 100$. So, the bottom line: Electronicbox=good service, good price, high speed(except the bothersome fluctuation). I would strongly recomend it.

Comments:

Review by Pipoles See Profile

• Location: Pointe-Aux-Trembles,QC
Good "The quality of the service versus price paid"
Bad "The installation provided by videotron"
Overall "It's a great and reliable service"

I considered tecksavvy but I didn't want to pay for dry loop anymore.
I ordered the 15mbps at $39.95.
The order was the easiest ever but the installation was dreadful.
The modem that was given to me is Modem Cable Thomson DCM475 STAC.55.01.
The bad experience was with the installation process, videotron called me at 16h50 but the technician showed up 20 minutes later and made me late to pick up my daughter at daycare. The tech was supposed to be there between 12h and 17h.

Comments:

Review by heliomedia See Profile

• Location: Rigaud,QC
Good "Great speed and great price"
Bad "Needed tech support to get VoIP working"
Overall "Dump your cable TV and ISP - go Electronicbox. You won't regret it."

I recently switched from Videotron to Electronicbox. Very happy I did.

Only issue: the VoIP adaptor did not work out of the box. I had to call tech support. The tech remotely logged in, upgraded the software and rebooted - then it worked. In fact the VoIP adaptor (MediaTrix 4102) seems like the weak point in an otherwise quite reliable system. It would probably be a good idea to plug it into a UPS to avoid it disconnecting and then needing to reboot the modem / router / mediatrix trio to get them back in sync. I kind of miss the old Videotron modem/voip combo box - it was less fussy.

Their web site needs a bit of TLC, especially on the English side. A few typos, some French-only pages, some info is a bit too general... plus it looks kind of old. But that is not really important for the bottom line: Electronicbox is an amazing value. Excellent internet speed, very high transfer quota and the support has been personal and prompt.

I have been recommending them to anyone who wants to listen.