ELECTRONICBOX page on DSLReports

Review by edugas See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "The physical installation done by Videotron, advertised speed, price"
Bad "Nothing so far"
Overall "The process between pre-sales and install co-ordination could be better but bottom line, things went smoothly."

·Telebec
I ordered the 30/3 package on Dec 7th, late evening. Picked up the modem Dec 10th at their offices in Longueuil. Waited a couple days and nothing. Had to ping Natasha on DSLR (eboxnat) and email sales Dec 17th to get the visit scheduled for Dec 20th evening but had to re-schedule at the last minute. Got the Dec 29th as the new date.

Tech came the 29th within the scheduled time frame, he had to replace the exterior cable drop to the building, interior was already done. The exterior work took around 45 minutes (lot of snow). The tech verified signals and we connected the Thomson DCM475 and he left. It took only around 30 minutes before I was able to use it (I was warned that it could take up to 3 hours).

2013-03
So far so good, constant speed, no drops.

2014-02
Still happy, upload was upgraded to 10Mbps for free.

member for 10 years, 216 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

eboxdanny
Superviseur
join:2013-08-12
Longueuil, QC

To Edugas

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here on DSL reports. Unfortunately eboxnat is no longer with our company but if ever you require any assistance, eboxsidney and I are available to assist you.
Regards,

Review by chall2k56 See Profile

• Location: Stittsville,ON
Good "Solid network connectivity"
Bad "Wasn't available sooner"
Overall "Another Great alternatiove to RoBellus"

·Acanac
·WIND Mobile
I started out as one of the Beta testers in Ontario for Cable services in Ontario.

Services are equal to that of the local incumbent, but at much cheaper rates.

There is no peak congestion outside of a congested node (would affect everyone in a small area if this is the case)

You will need a DOCSIS 3 modem for the service. EBox provides the Thompson DCM476 as it's default cable modem, and is capable of well over 150Mbps Downstream (a plan that may be offered in the future)

EBox is also working on an off-peak download option, so you may be able to download large files and torrents off peak to save your bandwidth quota

I haven't needed to use Technical Support, so I didnt rate for that

member for 6.5 years, 138 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Chrysogonus See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Solid connection; excellent service"
Bad "Nonsense $20 bring-your-own-modem charge; IP address associated with Quebec"
Overall "Among the best value for the money in an overpriced market"

We ordered the 15/1 DSL package, normally $33 plus tax (as of the beginning of 2014), and were also able to obtain a $2/month group discount. We wanted something a bit faster than the 6/256k cable available for $25/month through TekSavvy, but didn't want to be spending $40/month, which was the next cable tier available (this is in a Rogers area); only DSL (Bell FTTN) had something available in between. We went with the Electronic Box DSL because, although their package doesn't have as high of a usage limit as the comparable TekSavvy DSL package, they waive the dryloop fee for all but the lowest tier of service; at the time, they also had a promotion to waive the installation fee. The only bizarre thing about their pricing is a $20 fee to use one's own modem; there's nothing they have to do to it, so I can't understand what this is for. This was almost enough for me to go with someone else, but fortunately this has been the only bogus fee so far. (It's also worth noting that their moving fee is rather high; but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.)

The ordering process was quite smooth; they initially neglected to apply the installation discount, but a quick email sorted that out. Their form is a bit strange, insofar as it only asks you what day of the week you want the installers to come; if that day is filled up by only one day, you'll be bumped by a whole week. Call in advance to check on availability. The installation window given was fairly large (12 to 9), but in my case the whole thing was complete by 2:30. We previously had a dialtone on the line (only good for calling 911 and 310-BELL), but the morning of the installation, this changed to DSL noise. The first installer arrived at about 12:30 and installed a demarcation point in our apartment (a new phone jack with a built-in voice/data splitter), after which everything worked; the second just checked that everything worked and left. (He actually said that he was supposed to install the demarcation point, but then what was the first meant to do? And if the first could do everything, why send two people?) Both were from Bell (the first with a full uniform, the second a contractor).

The supplied DSL modem is a ZyXEL P-660 F1; I ordered one from elsewhere, since it was a bit cheaper. No complaints.

The only issue we've had is that our phone line is also used by an intercom system in the building (an Enterphone), and we didn't check to see if it still worked while the installers were still here. It didn't. We haven't yet had the time to sort this out. It's also rather a pain that we've lost the line that allowed us to call 911, since I was hoping to use this in conjunction with a VoIP service; but it's hard to complain about losing things you weren't paying for. Had I known about these issues in advance, I probably would have gone with cable.

We haven't had any outages in the month since we've had the service, which is great. The speed is only a little more than half the speed we're paying for, but it seems as if this is going to be the case no matter who we go with (this is an area just north of the University of Toronto). The only weird thing about the service is that it's routed through Montreal, which means that our IP address is also associated with that location. This means that some websites come up in French, and some won't serve us at all (for companies that can't be bothered to navigate the language laws). We have a VPN, so it's not an issue for us, but I can see it being a pain for some in certain situations.

The customer service is infinitely better than anything else I've experienced. The call centre seems to be based in Quebec, and the staff are quite knowledgeable and friendly; their email support is also very good.

In the end, the issues we've had are nothing compared to the problems we've had in the past with Bell and Rogers. Unlike those companies, Electronic Box actually seems to value our business.

Comments:

Review by Redgie See Profile

• Location: Laval,QC
Good "Le prix, la vitesse, la qualité du service"
Bad "Vidéotron rend l'installation compliqué pour rien"
Overall "Je recommande à tout le monde!"

J'ai fait le switch de Vidéotron vers Ebox il y a quelque mois et je suis vraiment satisfait du service. Petit problème de coordination au niveau de l'installation (la faute vient du côté de Vidéotron), mais depuis je n'ai absolument aucun problème. Le réseau est stable, j'obtiens la vitesse pour laquelle je paie et les prix sont très compétitifs par rapport à Vidéotron/Bell. En plus, le staff est présent sur le forum, répond directement aux questions/problèmes des clients, indiquent les futurs améliorations qui seront faites, etc.. Pour moi c'est un gros plus, car ça indique que Ebox est une compagnie qui respecte sa clientèle.

Comments:

Review by LanAdmin See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Fast, very fast"
Bad "No off-peak like DSL"
Overall "Extremely reliable service"

Got their cable Internet access. It's plug_and_play. Absolutely nothing to configure. With Ebox since February 2012. Was with another IISP with crappy DSL before.

Extremely reliable service.

Takes between one and three weeks to get the installation. If you can, order their service three weeks in advance. I ask to get the installation on weekend, it took 2 weeks. Your Internet won't work before Videotron installer close his ticket. Plug your modem and wait between 15 minutes and 2 hours. My Internet was working 15 minutes after Videotron technician left. Don't complain about the installation technician, he is working for Videotron, not for Ebox.

»www.electronicbox.net/forfaits-i···nk-cable

Update January 19, 2014 : Still very satisfied. "Rapide et fiable. Point final!"

member for 3.4 years, 679 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by LiKwiDz See Profile

• Location: Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu,QC
Good "Good Price, stable conection"
Bad "Installation(not done by Ebox)"
Overall "Satisfied"

·TekSavvy DSL
*Update*

After more then a year with Ebox, I am now a happy camper

I had trouble with the installation.. but all the issue have been resolved fast

After a year I decided to remove the bad review I gave. after the install issue have been resolved I had not problem at all, Reliable and constant speed

I am very happy with the Service

Après plus de 1ans avec Ebox je suis satisfais des service, connexion fiable et stable
Jai eu un pépin a l’installation mais ces maintenant chose du passe, je suis très content du service

Comments:
luckied

join:2010-07-09
·Videotron

Be patient around moving day

Glad you got everything working but remember there are legal issues betwen VL and Ebox and VL is NOT ALLOWED to touch your modem. I was told this when I picked up my modem and already knew it since I work in telecom.

Just a point to remember that around moving day they are INCREDIBLY busy with new activations and therefore prone to more delays and mishaps.

However, it looks like everything worked out fine for you

If you need support regarding your Cable connect, make sure you test WITHOUT a router (i.e. directly connected to your modem) and use either speedtest.electronicbox.net or testvitesse.videotron.ca.

If applicable, make sure to use the longueuil server and not the Mont-Royal one. Lastly, if you have issues with speed, send me or them your traceroutes as speedtest servers are not the only measurement (nor are they 100% accurate) of your connection.

Here's a traceroute from my work to Ebox:

dluckie@epiamaster:~$ traceroute speedtest.electronicbox.net
traceroute to speedtest.electronicbox.net (74.116.184.20), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 netscreen (10.2.183.1) 0.361 ms 0.411 ms 0.497 ms
2 4.ar1.mtl2.mtotelecom.net (64.254.224.1) 1.841 ms 1.854 ms 1.855 ms
3 tge-1-3.cr1.mtl2.mtotelecom.net (64.254.224.186) 1.818 ms 1.835 ms 1.835 ms
4 xe-0-0-0.cr1.mtl1.ca.nlayer.net (69.31.142.1) 1.835 ms 1.839 ms 1.839 ms
5 as1403.xe-0-0-1-613.cr1.mtl1.ca.nlayer.net (69.31.142.222) 1.817 ms 1.821 ms as1403.xe-0-0-1-613.cr1.mtl1.ca.nlayer.net (69.31.141.2) 2.134 ms
6 core2.cable.gig02.electronicbox.net (74.116.184.235) 2.407 ms 1.848 ms dsl-184-116-74-20.electronicbox.net (74.116.184.20) 1.728 ms

As you can see, this only goes over 6 hops which is amazing (and the latency is less than 2ms since I'm directly on a fiber network)

Best of luck!
eboxseb

join:2011-08-26

Re: Be patient around moving day

Hi,
Can you contact us for your speed problem, since you telling us that you never been able to get your full speed... I would be very curious what is causing the problem actually. Unless you call us to make some verification, we will not be able to give you any support.

The speed you showing me are very slow, can you post on the forum a speedtest screenshot done on speedtest.net on longueuil server please?

Thanks a lot

InstantOcean

join:2012-03-20
Montreal-Nord, QC
Sorry mate, and believe me, I don't want to be rude, but your review is something else. I mean, you are probably one of a very few "select" people that complains about Ebox. To make it public and in a review to be seen by all is your prerogative. On the other hand, you have to consider and take into account the circumstances.

You moved during the highest, most active period of the year, when VL is flooded with changes... the 1st of July. And you are surprised that they sorta put you in the back of the line? DUH! Youa re changing ISP... you are not a priority. Their customers are. Simple enough.

Furthermore, to claim that you get on a 30Mb/s connection only 67KB/sec on FTP.... If I were you, I would check my computer and see if everything is in order. I find it extremely hard to believe that you would only achieve that speed with an Ebox connection.

I'm no fanboy but I know that EBox delivers from experience. What you relate to us here is some sort of nightmarish mishap that I find hard to believe. Not saying you are lying... just find it hard to believe.

GL

IO

JetSter

@cgi.ca

Re: Be patient around moving day

There is contently a issue with single type connections(FTP) via Ebox. I'm also having it.

As per diskace, they are working on the issue.

eboxnat

join:2011-05-06

Poor experience

Hey InstantOcean, no need to break out the pitchforks :P

I can confirm that in fact LiKwiDz's activation experience was shit.

There were many factors in play though, new activation in/around the month of July with a weekend only dispo is the first, there were some areas in Montreal what were booked for evenings and weekends well into the month of august when we started with the July 1st rush.

One of the things that sucked with this year's rush is that we had a high number of mix-ups with our provider and how they notified us of an installation date as well as the times we specified for our clients.

I am in no way saying it is acceptable, but it happened.

Some clients did receive an automated call before we had the email with the date and in some cases we never got the date. Even more numerous were the cases where we were provided a RDV that was completely the opposite of what was asked, I can only guess that is because "dispatch" was 10x busier than we were.

When we approached the end of June, we were initially accepting RDVs that did not match clietn's original preferences to avoid longer wait times, in hopes that the client could make the choice to make do or choose to get something further in the future that was 100% acceptable. Delays for RDV's were insane.

And of course, as luck would have it, the creation of the web hosting account took longer than it should of.

As for any speed issue, I am not qualified to diagnose/fix that but seriously recommend contacting support. If we don't get alerted of an issue we cannot work to resolve it :P

As we are growing to be one of Quebec's biggest TPIA cable provider some bumps do happen, but we are constantly working on improving everything from our communication with our supplier and our customers experience and everything in between.

Thanks for the honest review, please do not hesitate to let us know if there is anything we can/should do to improve on in the future.
Electronic Box Inc.
»ELECTRONICBOX
Natasha Contardi

InstantOcean

join:2012-03-20
Montreal-Nord, QC

Re: Poor experience

Nat... Dear Nat!

I'm not bashing this guy at all and I'm not saying either that his connection/switching over went "according to plans". What I am saying is that his misfortune is partly circumstantial rather than a direct fault from Ebox. I've also made some tests of my own on FTP transfers and do not come even remotely close to the numbers posted. Is it full speed? No. Sorry, but it is slower. But not to the extent that is said in the review. Not saying he is lying... just saying that I cannot duplicate his experience/numbers. Dunno why.

I'm very sorry for this guy that had a very bad experience at start. But I feel, and that is only MY opinion, that when you write a review, one should be careful about all the circumstances and who is to blame and who is not to blame.

One thing comforts me and at the same time doesn't surprises me, is that he is getting all the proper attention from staff to give him satisfaction and that is what makes Ebox an excellent ISP.

eboxnat

join:2011-05-06

Re: Poor experience

My bad

Review by KenderDragon See Profile

• Location: Boucherville,QC
Good "Price & Speed & Quota"
Bad "Took more than one call to get all info, installation date is somewhat hard to obtain"
Overall "If you are looking for good and cheap cable Internet, this is a no brainer"

Since I hate to have to check my quota every week, I switched from Videotron TGV 15 to TekSavvy DSL 7Mb/s for some months. I was really happy with them, since I got a good service and a 300GB quota everymonth. But since ElectronicBox changed their price, and I like the speed of cable, I've decided to switch again.

So I've gone with a high speed Internet 60Mb/s download\3Mb/s upload. I must say that for now, speedtest and pingtest tell me that I've got for what I'm paying for. That package is around 55$/month with a 250 GB quota.

I had to buy a Thomson DCM475 DocSIS 3.0 Modem at 99$. You can use your own modem compatible with Videotron network, but they are charging 20$ for install, so I opted for simplicity.

There was a 50$ installation charge, and you have to pay the first month.

Then, I wanted to schedule install for February 7th. The girl at the Box told me that they can't know for sure install date because Videotron tell them like 1 or 2 day before the install. But I was lucky, and they called me 2 days prior to install that Videotron would come. Videotron came and just checked the cable. I had to install my modem myself. First, the MODEM didn't synchronize, but after calling ElectronicBox, they tell me that I have to wait for the Videotron Tech to close his call, which happened 2 hours after the installation.

I had to call back to get my Videotron ID to check the quota and get an e-mail address. I would have preferred that those stuff would be sent to me by E-mail. It may be my only complaints. I think ElectronicBox should send more info by E-Mail, maybe a template or something.

BUT, the internet is very very fast, and for now, reliable! I'm very pleased with them and I have no problem telling that I'm a happy customer.

++++++++++++++++++++

UPDATE
_______

Almost 2 years with them. 60Mbps/3Mbps became 60Mbps/10Mbps. I'm one of those lucky one that still pay the "old" price. I must say that I don't have anything bad or new to say about this ISP. Service has been rock solid, and the few maintenances we had been well announced and done by night. Continue the good work EBOX!

Comments:

WeaponX

@gameloft.com

Any throttling?

Hi,

After reading positive reviews for this ISP, can anyone please confirm if Electronic Box actually does bandwith throttling on their service? With videotron I currently have no throttling.

thanks!
KenderDragon

join:2011-08-27
Boucherville, QC

Re: Any throttling?

I don't feel like being throttled in anyway.

Review by metraon See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Reliable, great costumer service, half the price of other big cable ISP"
Overall "Great ISP"

One of the best alternative for internet in Montreal. The technical support doesn't talk to you like if you are 2 years old, the billing is simple and efficient. Staff is very knowlegable, they let you buy your own equipment.

Comments:

Review by iamhere See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Great service, Great price, Great tech support"
Bad "What to expect on install day wasn't communicated fully and clearly - hopefully this has improved since I've joined"
Overall "Best ISP I've used over the years"

Signed up for DSL 15/1 initially but eventually upgraded to DSL 25/10 with a free dry loop.

I've been a customer for a while now. Only just recently have I had a need to call tech support for an issue. By far, my best support experience with any ISP I have every used. The technician (on both calls) listened to my problem, answered what he could and told me when he didn't know the answer to something I asked. Overall a pleasant experience even if the issue still persists to a lesser degree (I'm not fully convinced the problem is with ebox, I think it may be a problem with some bell equipment).

I would recommend this service to anyone who is moderately technical and can deal with some of their own troubleshooting.

member for 1.2 years, 373 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by manue See Profile

• Location: Saint-Eustache,QC
Good "customer service really good, installation was fast, free dryloop"

FTTN High Speed 10
32,95$/month +tx
Dld max 10 mbps
Upld max 1 mbps
100 GB (but unlimited from 2am to 2pm)

Perfect for the use I make. A lot of streaming, but mostly being on facebook lol! No online gaming, so no need for a lot of speed.

You can either buy the modem (around 120$) and be contract-free, or rent one for 10$/month with a 1 year contract, or use your own.

The customer service was really good, really friendly and answered clearly all my questions.