ELECTRONICBOX page on DSLReports

Review by jaysona See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Quick sign-up process, smooth install, decent customer service phone rep."
Bad "Do not offer 15/10 VDSL2 so I had to take the more expensive 25/10 service."
Overall "So far, so good - no complaints."

·TekSavvy DSL
After close to 10 years with Teksavvy I have begun the transition to a new provider.

So far, no complaints with Electronicbox and only a minor issue with billing, I do not recall being told I would be charged a $15 fee for modem configuration and shipment - but I'm not complaining either - I understand the need for the charge.

The SmartRG SR505N was configured in routed mode and it took a little more work than expected to get it configured in bridge mode.

The Bell tech visit lasted all of 5 minutes, since I already had the modem powered on and connected to the phone line. DSL sync was already active, Bell tech just updated the speed profile and left.

Ping times are great compared to Teksavvy and speed is exactly as advertised 25/10. (happy dance)

It would be a good idea as part of the sign up process to ask the customer which mode they would like to modem configured - especially those customers ordering additional IP addresses, there's a good chance anyone order 8 or more IPs will be using the modem in bridge mode.

Only time will tell if I stay, I expect to have both services for at least the next four months as I perform the bake-off between the two providers.

Comments:

Review by live5 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Good price, cable reliability and speed, excellent customer service"
Overall "The best alternative I could find to get the reliability and speed of Videotron at an affordable price"

I was searching for an ISP that could provide me with the reliability of the cable network. Past experiences with DSL included slowdowns and down periods. Afterward I had a great experience with Videotron in terms of reliability (no downtime, constant speed) but $50 for an internet connection was kind of expensive when DSL was around $30. After doing some research, ElectronicBox seemed to provide great service and support.

The first thing that surprised me when I called them was that someone answered the phone right away. The CS was nice and friendly and took her time to explain everything to me and answer my questions. I called again 2 days after to subscribe and the process went well.

I had to have a technician set up the modem, something I didn't have to do with my DSL. My only complain is that I couldn't schedule a precise date and timeframe: I had to give a timeframe and Videotron would call me back to confirm a date they chose. I can't really blame ElectronicBox for this one since it's Videotron who do the installation. They were still very helpful when I called to see when the installation was schedule. Videotron also calls once the day before the installation and an hour or so before the technician arrives. Installation went well and the connection worked right away.

Overall the speed is as advertised (or a bit higher!) and the connection seems reliable like when I was with Videotron. Everytime I called, someone answered right away in a friendly and professional manner. I haven't had any problem with them. Highly recommended, you can't go wrong with them!

Comments:

Review by mugurd See Profile

• Location: Ottawa, ON
Good "Seamless transition from Start (36hrs) despite what others have reported"
Bad "Occasional speed drops at peak times, but not chronic"
Overall "Best offer out there for cable in SE Ontario, decent speed consistency"

I've been with Ebox for 3 months now and save for 2 Rogers outages (when I really had a hard time getting through to Ebox support) everything seems OK. Almost as good as Start and miles ahead of CikTel (see my other reviews).
I do appreciate their presence on DSL forums and pretty timely responses and explanations - kudos for that and I hope their fast growth won't impact the quality of services.
I could be biased because I'm one of the (apparently) few ones that went through a TPIA to TPIA move and was down for only 36hrs - while I kept my modem and all.
Part of the high satisfaction factor is the 6months promo -30$ for 30megs (1TB cap)

Not too thrilled with all the chatter about "Off-Peak" and extra charge for it - we'll see what trickles down when they start applying it to the Ontario market.

Will update the review periodically as I always think that there is an initial impression and then what matters is the long term experience.

member for 13.7 years, 611 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by RickPlateau See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Smooth as butter"
Bad "A bit long to install"
Overall "So far so good."

Traumatized by bell, I ordered on Oct 1, they said it would take 10 days. 8 days out, I get a call that guy is comming from 0730 - 1230 on the 15th.

On the 15th, @0930 Ding dong! Polite competant videotron guy arrives, runs wires through place, tests for signal all good. Warns it might be 3hrs more before activation, but I plugged in the modem (rented from Ebox) and voila -- linked right away. Run test on speedtest.net, 10/1.5 as described.

Went MUCH smoother than I thought it would. Got what I paid for. Let's see how their billing and caps work out, but so far so good. And a HUGE releaf from B(Hell). It scares me when things go well.:)

Comments:

EboxSteven
Ebox Supervisor
join:2014-08-21

Concerning your review

We are more than happy to see that things went well for you! I understand you may have had problems with some other providers but fear not; it's only normal when things go well with us! Any problem will be solved and we offer great after-sale support on many different levels! Thank you for taking your time to share with us!

mugurd

join:2001-05-24
Ottawa, ON

...and only 75%?

Looks to me you're pretty happy, why the 75% score?

Review by nster See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Problem-free internet, billing etc. Super Off-Peak"
Bad "I didn't discover them earlier"
Overall "You won't regret the switch"

15/10 125GB with Super Off-Peak. Transfer from Videotron was seemless. Been with them for almost a year now.

Group buy saved me an additional 10$ from Modem and 2$ EVERY MONTH. My 37$ plan became 35$. And then, every referral you do saves you 1$ FOR LIFE even if the person quits later on. I'm now trying the Super Off-Peak option, half the day of unlimited while I'm not in front of the computer is awesome for downloads, and unlimited upload is awesome for backups.

Customer service is top notch, no more begging Videotron to renew my rebates... My main motivation was that I didn't want my parents to get ripped off by Videotron and Bell with their shady tactics at times. Perhaps the thing that makes me want to stay with EBOX is their transparency and honesty though.

If you want to save 2$ like me, PM me your e-mail address and I'll find you a group

member for 1.2 years, 522 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by blakenet See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "pas cher, stable, rapide"
Bad "le systeme de vidéoétron est vraiment pourri"
Overall "EBOX IS THE BEST"

prix EXCELLENT
service EXCELLENT
installation... ok coté ebox, pourri du coté de videotron
bref tout ce qui vient de Ebox est parfait

Comments:

Review by jejeclav See Profile

• Location: Beloeil,QC
Good "In progress"
Bad "A chaotic beginning! "
Overall "Hopefully things will get better now that installation is done (45 days)"

Aug 16 : I ordered their Cable service (Extreme 20) as transfer from Videotron

I was emailed that it would take 3 to 7 days to get an appointment (it is also indicated on their website).

During the order process, I had indicated that I needed installation during weekend (they give you time slots to choose)

First phone call for an appointment : 12 September (that is to say nearly a month after I pass the order!)- they give me an appointment during the week. OK...let us fix another apointment. They call me back

Second call : 15 September. They AGAIN give me an apointment for the week

Third call : 19 September: Appointment given at last for Saturday 9-28

Saturday 9-28. The technician comes. He says he works principally for Videotron. After 10 minutes he leaves my home, saying: you should have internet in 3 minutes (why can't he check it????). After 3 hours, no internet. I call the service department. After waiting for approx 1 hour, someone calls me. He says that he cannot do anything because the service is closed (it is Saturday, 1 pm),but I should call back tomorrow.

I call again the next day (Sunday), wait again a long time on the phone, and now I am told that they cannot do anything, but that I should check whether the service is working in 2 more days.

Recent news :

Eric from the service here contacted me a day later. Somehow he cleared the problem....internet is now working. Yeah!

Comments:

Ebox_Eric

join:2012-04-07

pm me your client code please

Hello can you please send me your account details I work for tech support here at Electronic Box and would like to review your case and if I can resolve the issue for you I will gladly do it right away.
jejeclav

join:2014-09-28

Re: pm me your client code please

Thanks- The situation is now fixed. I am going to change my review.

Ebox_Eric

join:2012-04-07

Re: pm me your client code please

Glad to hear all is resolved now. If you ever need my assistance again feel free to contact me via PM and I will be glad to give you assistance.

Review by metraon See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Reliable, great costumer service, half the price of other big cable ISP"
Overall "Great ISP"

One of the best alternative for internet in Montreal. The technical support doesn't talk to you like if you are 2 years old, the billing is simple and efficient. Staff is very knowledgeable, they let you buy your own equipment.

1 year update : Still an incredible service, I had no noticeable downtime or speed problems since day 1.

Comments:

Review by unhappyebox See Profile

• Location: H3G 0A6
Good "Price for service not received"
Bad "Installation time, reliability and terrible customer service"
Overall "Not worth the money saved"

On August 31st I called electronic box to order internet. I was told i had to pay immediately and so on that day I paid by credit card for installation, shipping for the modem and the first month of service.

The person with whom I initially spoke had made it seem like I could expect to hear back within a few days and that the installation would occur 2 to 3 days after that.

Over a week (8 days) later, I had not yet received the modem nor had I heard anything back from them regarding my installation. I called back and found out that while my payment was of course processed immediately, the rest of my order was never processed - the modem was never shipped and they never put in the order for my installation. I was pretty upset, but I understand that mistakes happen and I let it go and just explained to the representative that i needed internet ASAP and to please put a rush on it. Seeing as how they made such a mistake after already taking my money, one would expect them to maybe place some importance on this request. I was told that i would get a call as soon as possible or within the next 3 to 7 days at the latest. I was pretty unimpressed at this point.

It is now 10 days after that and although I received the modem I did not receive any call from them. I had to call back today and the person I spoke to was the icing on the cake - no apologies, no acknowledgement of how bad this looks or how upset I must be. I was calling from work so I will note that I was polite when speaking to her. My phone data bill is going to be through the roof this month because of all the data i have had to use on it. I also have had to go and work in cafes to use internet in the evenings. It has been almost 3 weeks and they still cannot tell me when I will have internet! I asked to speak to someone who could help me since she obviously could not and was told that someone would call me back within 48 hours. I explained that this was unacceptable and I wanted the situation resolved immediately because I did not want to be stuck without internet for another weekend. With bell I would have it by Saturday and would not have to pay for installation. She told me there was no way to resolve this and I had to wait 48 hours.

I then decided to cancel. I told her I wanted a full reimbursement. and she said I could discuss that in 48 hours when speaking with the supervisor - Are you kidding me??? What kind of company takes peoples money does not deliver on their services and then REFUSES to reimburse the client.

I advise you to not bring this company business unless this is the kind of service you are prepared to deal with. I initially thought it would be better than going with Bell or Videotron but i was wrong.

Comments:

The Doctor

join:2011-11-25
Montreal,Qc

could you please edit your post.

Trying to read your post is difficult all grabled together.

kcir60
join:2007-02-02
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Payment

If you paid with a credit card it's a no brainer. Just call the credit card company and dispute the charge.
BeterDeals

join:2014-02-13
·ELECTRONICBOX

Electronic Box Resells Bell & Rogers Service

I have had Electronic Box since February of 2014 and though the installation may take a while, the savings are worth it plus they give you way more data usage.

Electronic Box resells Bell, Rogers & Videotron service. Electronic Box is not in control of the entire installation process. They have to rely on the big Internet Service Providers, which are their competitors, to get the installation done and you can bet that they don't get priority. August 31st is one of the worst times to order because there is plenty of back orders due to the big company's technicians going on vacation. Expect delays!

If you want to pay $60+ to Bell to get the same bandwidth but lower data usage that Electronic Box offers for $31 just to get quick installation, then that's what you needed to do at the start. That's the catch with using a third party reseller. It took about two weeks to complete the installation from the time I ordered. I ain't complaining! I get Bell's Fibe at 20 Mbs Down, 10 Mbs Up and 250 GB per month for $46 + HST per month with Electronic Box. The closest Bell plan is 25 Mbs down, 10Mbs Up & 100 GB per month for $66 + HST per month. Even if I manage to blow that enormous data limit, it's only $0.50/GB while Bell charges $2/GB. That means if you reach your data usage limit on Bell and you watch a movie that consumes say 5 GB, you will pay an extra $10 for your mistake and that's for just one movie.

I'm sorry that you were not prepared for the delay but Electronic Box does not deserve such a low rating. Please come back after six months of service with Electronic Box to give everyone your views. If you are honest and you are knowledgeable of how much you are really going to pay with the big guys, you will give Electronic Box 4 or 5 stars for everything.

Remember, the big Internet providers are forced by law to open their networks to third parties for resale at regulated prices. Thank God for this because if this were not the case, you would not have Electronic Box, TechSavvy, or Prime which have much reduced prices. In addition, without this competition, the big companies would charge even more and/or give you less. The big companies are out their to charge you as much as possible for as little service as possible. If they had it their way, we would still be using dial-up for $100 per month. BE PATIENT!
BeterDeals

join:2014-02-13
·ELECTRONICBOX

Re: Electronic Box Resells Bell & Rogers Service

Did I forget to mention that I get free usage from 2:00 AM to 2:00 PM. Bell does not offer this in the plan I mentioned. There are just so many pluses with Electronic Box.

Oh! Also read the much simpler Terms of Service with Electronic Box. There is no mention of limitations in sharing your Internet Service with say a neighbor or anyone else. Bell nor pretty much anyone else offers that. If you have a neighbor in reach of your WiFi, you can cut a deal with them. Just make sure you don't go past your enormous data usage limit which by the way, you can bump up for just a few dollars.

Do I sound like a very satisfied customer. You bet! I have no connection to Electronic Box except for my Internet connection.

Review by R0Bzombie See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Great customer service, Service always up and running"
Overall "I'm a very happy customer"

Ordered the service one month before moving to my house, I was on DSL and switched to Ebox cable. The technician was on time the date we agreed on and did a great job. I was online the same day.
I went back and forth with many package changes in 2 years and they've always been comprehensive and did the changes every time even if I was downgrading.

I'm a happy customer since May 2012 and I wish I discovered Ebox sooner.
I referred 2 customers so far and they gave me a rebate of 1$ a month each

Comments:
nster

join:2013-12-15
H2M

forgot to rate them?

I think you forgot to put in the ratings

eboxflany
Ebox Supervisor
join:2014-09-04

Thank you!

Hello, I would like to thank you a lot for your review. Our customer's satisfacion is what really matter to us and we are still working on improving our services. Hope we will be able to satisfy you in the future.

Best regards!