ELECTRONICBOX page on DSLReports

Review by draknar See Profile

• Location: Marieville,QC
Good "Deux ans et toujours heureux"

Depuis deux ans que je suis avec Electronic Box et je suis totalement satisfait du service.

J'étais sur le TGV20, maintenant sur le TGV15.

Me coûte moins cher et maintenant on peut ajouter des blocs de consommation comme on veut.

Comments:

Review by seb937 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Reliable, Responsive"
Bad "Speed fluctuation (very rare tho)"
Overall "Great Provider for the money"

Hey,

I've been with Electronic Box for roughly 2 years now and so far so good (knock on wood)!
I subscribed to 30Mbps/2Mbps with 250GB for 49.95 (+tx) per month. I've been upgrade twice (30/3 then 30/10) and the price went up to 52.95.
I also referred 3 friends and the bill went down 3$ a month!

I'm speedtesting from time to time and so far, I've never seen under 29Mbps, which is really not bad according to me.

Bottom line, EB is a strong provider that give good service at a good price!

Cheers,
Sebastien

Comments:

Review by faz007 See Profile

• Location: East York,ON
Good "Installed on time, ISP and customer service were great, Best rate "
Bad "15 to 30 Business days before install"
Overall "Satisfied"

What package did you order, at what advertised monthly price?

I got the group by for the promotion package 30/5 cable for $27

How was the order & install process?

I had requested Disconnection date on June 16 with Start for around June 30. EBox could not install on that date and asked me to push the disconnection date. Back and forth on call with Start, I was able to push the date but since Start do not do pro-rated payment I decided to stay with them for one more month. Requested d/c date of July 30th and informed EBox. Still had Start on 30th. 31st I had a downtime of around 7-8 hours since I woke up. I was at work so didnt affect that much. Was online around 5pm. Modem log showed around 3pm modem was reset so maybe that was for the new ISP. Had to factory reset my Apple Time Capsule since wifi wasn't working. Bottom line it went very smooth and nothing like the horror stories other people had with install. I wold like to thank both ISP's Start and Ebox.

What brand/model was the supplied equipment?

Had my own DCM475 router from Start

What good or bad experiences most struck you?

Had a very pleasant experience so far. I have seen lot of negativity about EBox and their install fiasco. So just wanted to share something positive

Comments:

Review by TDelux See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Pre-Sales was ok..."
Bad "Unable to get installed, horrible miscommunication, incapable supervisors. "
Overall "ZERO ACCOUNTABILITY, I feel like i just stepped in to the twilight zone."

This is one of those I just joined to post my review - reviews.

I run a small home office for an IT consultancy and Web Development business. Up to this point I was using Videotron services and while I had no problem with reliability and internet performance, I definitely was not a fan of their pricing policies and customer support.

Made the decision to switch to ElectronicBox based on the fact that they use Videotron Infrastructure and have good reviews by their users. Since I was going on a prolonged trip outside the country I made the decision to cancel Videotron prior to leaving and return to an installed ElectronicBox connection. I provided them with my information, noted that I will be out of the country and appointed a contact person (father in-law) to be called for any issues and installation purposes. Since I purchased my modem I also had to send a picture of the unit, which i did by replying to their email with the payment receipt. So I left feeling confident that everything was taken care of..... WRONG!!!

The day prior to installation I called my father in-law to remind him of "the installation" and he advised me that no one had called him to set up an appointment.

Called ElectronicBox from overseas just to find out that they never received my email (for whatever reason, no bouncebacks on my end) with the picture of the modem (alldo it was sent and I have the email in my sent folder as proof). Then they advised me that they called my house number 3 times and postponed the installation because I was unreachable!@?# Why did I go through the effort of explaining that I am away and unreachable over phone?? Why did I provide them with a number for a Contact Person while I was away? Why didn't anyone follow up via EMAIL that they already used to communicate with me (copy of receipt)???

And then the fun starts; since this is Videotron infrastructure they need to request a new install and it will take 4 business days just to get the installation date. Meanwhile I am coming back in 2 days and need to catch up on work. I advise the first supervisor A. G. that I might connect back to Videotron and then transfer just for the benefit of being installed sooner, but that I will advise him if I do so over email (the same day). At the end I conclude that I will piggyback of my Wireless carrier and hope that I get installed quickly enough not to have my work suffer.

So I sent an email to confirm that I want them to process the installation request and hope for the best. Here is the proof of email communication (both that the original image was sent on time and that the supervisor was given notice to process my request):

»drive.google.com/file/d/0B-oa4U8···=sharing

»drive.google.com/file/d/0B-oa4U8···=sharing

Needles to say I was the only one following up "with my self". No one was quite sure what was happening.

Spoke to 3 different supervisors, and the final icing on the cake was on Friday the 25th, when I asked for the installation date since 4 business days have passed, the last supervisor noted that I was not requesting a TRANSFER but a NEW INSTALL. And he initiated a new request because it is a separate item. (of course he tried to hide it but a call on monday to 1st level support revealed that the request was sent on friday).

I just finished a conversation with level 1 support and when asking to speak to the supervisor A. G. (that I initially complained to), I was instructed that he was busy and they can't tell me when he will be able to call me back. This company has ZERO accountability and if this is what people review as good support then we are ALL in deep trouble in this monopolized ISP realm.

I am still unsure what to do at this point since the whole experience is rather surreal and would love to hear from someone that has a recourse in a situation like this.

May Gods of the big 5 telecoms take pity on us all....

-Tim

Comments:

Eboxalex
join:2014-05-13
Can

Reply to your feedback

Hello,

First off, I would like to apologize for the lack of communication shown during the resolution of this matter.

As far as everything else goes, I will not go into too much details, but from what I see on the pictures you linked :
»docs.google.com/file/d/0B-oa4U8E···it?pli=1

You did send your modem picture on June 11, but to the address noreply@electronicbox.net , which can't be replied to or receive any E-mails, then you went on vacation until we spoke 10 days ago on July 19th.

The E-mail address, which you initially sent your picture to (after being told it was sales@electronicbox.net) was not fit to receive any communications.

The person you wanted us to call *with an installation date* was never called for the modem issue, because he was not authorized on the account, you never asked to officially make him responsible for the account, but only the person on site for the installation, and the matter with your modem picture was not something he had access to resolve in your place, unless you added him to the account as an authorized person (which then grants him access to all personal information provided).

I was then able to talk with you on the 19th, we figured out a way to solve your issue, but then you changed your mind, and we needed time to adjust and talk with you again, which was done on the 24th. I am sorry of the way this part was handled, I sadly couldn't make myself available right away when you called on the 21st, then another supervisor took your case over between the 20th and the 24th. We are sorry of the extra delay that came your way, sadly there was no way we would have contacted the person you mentioned as ''your person on site for the install'' with personal information about your account. He was never an authorized person on the account.

I hope you know we do everything in our power to make your installation and your experience a reliable one. We will correct this issue with you, and as soon as your date is available to us, we will contact you. Hopefully we can develop a reliable work relationship in the future.

Of course, thank you for the feedback, the procedure which we use for call backs has been set in place with a reasoning of doing things in order at which we receive them. We can't make one person's case take priority over someone who has called the day before, and so on.

EDIT: Of course, I hope that the current procedures started with my Collegue Sidney will help resolve this matter, and eventually make you possibly reflect a response and those changes here on DSLreports. we do take pride in providing an awesome customer service, sometimes communication problems can happen, human mistakes, and we're sorry you felt we let you down.

I hope you understand we never intended for you to have to get extra delays in your order.

Electronic Box Supervisor Team.
TDelux

join:2014-07-28
Canada

Re: Reply to your feedback

said by Eboxalex:

I was told by your customer support rep to reply to the invoice email with the Image attachment. If someone instructs me to do so I do not expect it to be NOREPLY email address nor do I look for that possibility.

said by Eboxalex:

I explained that I will be traveling and unreachable by phone and that this pearson is the point of contact for any issues. If the agent knew the terminology he should have brought up the question of "authorizing him" on my account. Also... Email Anyone?

But that seems to be the problem with the support, bad communication and inability to relay a message. Not to mention that your colleague who took over the case called my "Unauthorized" contact person and not me the first time around.
I had to follow up with them to make sure to call my number.

As for the current issue with modem, I will need to follow up with Sydney because on the day he called to discuss the issue I was hospitalized 3 hours later due to a server strep/viral infection.
Needles to say that my concentration was not all there.

To be continued.
To a more positive conclusion I hope.

·ELECTRONICBOX
Since the authorized person of the account was on vacation, the minimum you should have done is to contact the person "on site for the installation" and told him you need to speak with the authorized person of the account because of an installation problem.

Review by resare See Profile

• Location: Greenfield Park,QC
Good "Very reliable connection. Great on the wallet ;)"
Bad "Activation snag (human error....hey they're humans !)"
Overall "Happy customer, reliable, good priced"

Moved from bhell dsl to cable (my first time with cable)

Install went well. The technician from cable company had to wire from the street (old house never had cable tv). Did a clean job, used the electric entrance cabinet to ground the cable and separate incoming cable from street from cable to house (is this SOP for a new install ?)

Went through a minor activation snag. At the said date of activation, modem would not sync. I finally figured out That the ebox staffer on the phone did a typo when inputting the S/N of the modem I purchased from them. 12 hrs later i was connected.

This being my first experience with cable internet, I also was caught by the MAC address thingy... Did the first connection with my laptop straight into the modem, then connected the router.......figured out after a little googling that I should reboot the modem when switching like that.

Since that day, no problems ! Stable, fast connection . Moved from bell dsl 6/750kb to cable 10/1.

Not regretting this at all.

Ps... Knowing that Ebox CEO is a regular of dslr and seeing the activity of the ebox forum on dslr convinced me to switch.

Update 2014-07:
Been a happy customer for almost 18 months now. Not a single disconnection noticed ! I strongly recommend this ISP to DSLR members. Using 10/1 with 250 Gb monthly. Great things lie ahead for Ebox if you continue providing great service like this

member for 1.8 years, 608 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by AMailer See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
Good "2am-to-2pm Unlimited; No dry-loop fees; Good speeds"
Bad "Sagemcom sync-no-surf issues"
Overall "Great value for your money"

I placed an order for Electronic Box's FTTN Extreme 25 DSL package (in Ontario) approximately 30 days before my cancellation from my previous internet service provider, Bell Canada. I was switching from Bell's Fibe 25/10 with Fibe TV.

On the day of installation the I had two tech visits; the first installed a pot splitter and left. The second came and simply did some checks (and apparently changed something outside of the apartment) and made sure my internet was up and running.

Since installation I have been able to get up to full 25/10 speeds and no major downtimes have occurred since.

The biggest issue I've encountered was the "sync-no-surf" issue with the Sagemcom modems from bell. It became extremely frustrating having my internet connection suddenly become unresponsive with the need to reboot my modem sometimes 2-3 times a week. I have since however called up Electronic Box and asked them to switch me to an interleave profile which - while not having resolved the problem completely - it has definitely reduced the frequency to reboot the modem to around a month if not a bit more.

Overall, great customer service when I was in need of it, speeds are now good even though pings are slightly higher due to the interleave profile - but the connection is now what I would deem reliable.

My complaint would be that Electronic Box does not seem to have an exchange program available (at least as of yet) to get my Sagemcom replaced with a SmartRG modem which is suppose to completely fix the so-called "sync-no-surf" issue.
Hoping that this will change however soon!

Update June 6th, 2014:
--------------------------------
After my sagecom modem started restarting during full speed downloads, I contacted ElectronicBox and they sent me the new SmartRG modem as a free exchange!

Now everything is working perfectly, I'm also back on the fastpath profile.

Getting in touch with support was instant - and the support staff was great. +1

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3547903073

Comments:

eboxdanny
Superviseur
join:2013-08-12
Longueuil, QC

To AMailer

Good day,

Thank you for sharing your experience with our company. In order for us to exchange a modem (example: Sagemcom), it has to be defective and it has to of to of been purchased from our company. The modem has to be under warranty and once the technical support has confirmed these mentions, only then are we able to exchange this equipment.

We are glad that you are satisfied with your internet connection and please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any inquiries.

Regards.

Bell Sagemcom sync-no-surf

Why did you give Ebox only 75% on "Connection reliability"? Your problem was with Bell Sagemcom modem not Ebox network.

AMailer
Aaron DM

join:2004-04-03

Re: Bell Sagemcom sync-no-surf

And it affects my connection.

Having said that, I will be updating it. Connection has been rock solid ever since they swapped my modem for a SmartRG.

Review by Jason1539 See Profile

• Location: Val-Des-Monts,QC
Good "Monthly price, Qc product."
Bad "False information at the start by the seller, FTTN Speed, xtra charges $$"

J'étais avec Bell fibe 15-10 depuis 2 ans. Ma vitesse maximale était de 12 mbps. J'ai contacté electronic box car ils offraient le FTTN 10 et le représentant des ventes a qui j'ai parlé m'a assuré que j'aurais du 10 mbps a ma ligne (et non jusqu'a) et si je voulais le FTTN je pourrais même avoir du 14.5 ce qui était beaucoup mieux que Bell. J'ai donc effectué la cancellation chez bell et je me suis abonné chez Ebox. Je trouvais que la facture du départ était dispendieuse (222$) car j'ai acheté le modem (120$), j'ai payé le premier mois et j'ai payé la moitié du prix d'installation (25$). L'installation a prit beaucoup de temps a mon avis (15 jours) et le technicien de bell est finalement arrivée chez moi pour ne rien faire me disant que la ligne était déjà en place. Donc je me retrouvais a payer un frais d'installation pour une raison un peu inconnue. Puis, lorsque j'étais finalement branché avec Ebox, ma vitesse ne pouvait être de plus de 8.5-8.6-8.7 alors que le représentant m'avait assuré du 10 mbps. J'étais très déçu et j'ai appelé Ebox qui m'ont offert 3$ de rabais pour les 6 prochains mois. J'ai demandé a avoir le forfait FTTN 15 et avoir un rabais sur ce forfait car je ne pourrai probablement avoir plus que du 12 comme avec bell. Le service a la clientèle m'a donc offert le forfait FTTN 15 avec le même rabais que la FTTN 10 (un gros 3$ mais pour 8 mois). De plus, je me retrouve a payer un frais pour changement de forfait de 25$ et je n'ai pas le choix de payer ce frais. Le superviseur m'a offert un 10$ sur ce frais qui je trouve ne devrait pas m'être chargé car j'aurais tenté ma chance avec FTTN 15 au départ si j'avais su tout ces inconvénients. Le superviseur était sensé me rappellé hier et ne l'a pas fait encore concernant le changement. J'avais hâte d'encourage une compagnie québécoise et je me retrouve décu de tout les frais supplémentaires et de la vitesse internet a mon domicile.

Comments:
LanAdmin

2 edits

Il y en a qui ne sont jamais contant

Lorsque tu étais avec Bell, tu devais être sur un profile avec correction d'erreur à cause de la mauvaise qualité de ligne Bell. En changent pour Ebox, cela n'a pas amélioré la qualité de ta ligne. Ta vitesse de 8.6Mbps est donc normale.

Ebox t'a très bien traité en t'offrant des rabais auquels tu n'aurais pas dû avoir droit.

blakenet

join:2011-03-15
·Bell Fibe

Re: Il y en a qui ne sont jamais contant

je crois que expliqué de cette facon il ne comprendra pâs tout a fait :P

ebox et les autres fournisseurs independants sont depandant des lignes de transmission de bell et videotron au quebec, selon lanadmin, lorsque tu etait avec bell, il ont surement fait des modifications sur ta ligne pour que tu obtienne ton 12 mbit (le tout du a une mauvaise ligne chez toi) en fesant le saut de ebox, cette modification a été oubliée "volontairement ou pas" et bell n'aura surement pas la meme volonté ''doptimiser" la ligne problematique dun client tpia

et biensur quand on te dit 14.5 c'est dans de bonnes conditions, personellement je crois pas que tu aura plus que bell du moins au depart, tu aura surement du 12mbit max sur ton forfait 15 comme tu avais avec bell, mais advenant le cas, comparé a etre avec bell si tu te plaint de basse vitesse il feront surement une demande a bell pour ameliorer le tout
non mais... ca speux tu

blakenet

join:2011-03-15

Re: Il y en a qui ne sont jamais contant

le point ou ebox se demarquera de bell c du coté service client, quand tu aura un probleme ca se reglera beaucoup plus vite
non mais... ca speux tu

Review by n3i1 See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Price, speed as advertised."
Bad "none yet"
Overall "very good intro promo price and good pricing after the promo as well"

I've been stuck with DSL for 5 years because Bell couldnt get FIBE to my area. I've bee looking for cable internet but most providers require and arm and a leg for install + cost of modem. I did my research and found EBox' prices very decent. Install 50 + 5/month for modem rental + 25/month promo for 25/2 mbps. This was an awesome deal! I also like the fact that you can buy out the modem so your rental is actually going into your payment to own the modem. Others have something similar but they want you to pay it off in 3 months! plus they jack up the price of the modem by 20 bucks.

Anyway Install date came, took less than an hour and i was online. I since moved to VOIP and IPTV and this this connection is solid as a rock. I'm very happy with their service and it's saving me money since i can now "CUT THE CABLE" with Bell.

I have contacted their support for a few technical questions or just to ask if my Rogers tech was coming in for the install and the wait was no longer than 15 mins.

Btw just read previous reviews about this company and they are all true!

Comments:

Review by abellerive See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Unlimited usage, fair price"
Bad "Had some customer service issues"
Overall "Service is okay"

·VMedia
Edit: Issue was sorted out by Jean-Philippe.

Had my internet service cut off twice because of their failure to send me a bill! They made a typo in the billing email address on file, which I told them about THREE times, yet they still didn't fix it! Worst part is that it's an @electronicbox.net email address. And when I called today about this, they said they would "waive the late payment fee" as if they were doing me a huge favour.

The internet service itself is okay.

member for 4.6 years, 64 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Lebon14

join:2009-08-05
Dolbeau-Mistassini, QC

At least, try contacting Diskace here!

You should contact "Diskace" on this forum to get this sorted. I'm pretty sure there was a misunderstanding somewhere.

I think that the review is a bit unfair though... That's just my point of view though.
Eurobeat and B'z forever.

diskace
Electronic Box CEO
join:2002-02-21

initial response

Thank you for contacting me. I am very sorry to hear you had a bad experience. This should not reflect the level of service we are committed to give.

I confirm a typo was made on the email address. As a result the notices were not sent and the account got suspended eventually. I understand the frustration and would like to apologize for this unfortunate repeated human mistake.

I will followup with you by email.
Electronic Box Inc. - Jean-Philippe Béïque
Ebox forum »ELECTRONICBOX

Need to be organized

You have two choices: Use a credit card as a trouble free solution or pay your bill at a fix date every month. You know you have to pay the bill every month. You should not need a bill to remember that.
abellerive

join:2010-01-13
Ottawa, ON
·VMedia

Re: Need to be organized

Thanks for your very late (2 years later?) and condescending comments.

1. I posted that review on behalf of my elderly mother who pays her bills by bringing them to a bank teller. If she never received one she would not have thought of paying it.
2. She didn't know what the billing cycle was because she never received a bill when she was supposed to.
3. Not everyone is comfortable with companies debiting their accounts or charging their credit cards automatically.
4. The point of the review was that they cut off her service on two occasions with no warning because of their own repeated mistake, even after I personally told them multiple times.
5. It's not the customer's responsibility to work around or find a solution to a company's mistakes.

Review by iamhere See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Great service, Great price, Great tech support"
Bad "What to expect on install day wasn't communicated fully and clearly - hopefully this has improved since I've joined"
Overall "Updated - was: Best ISP I've used over the years. now: Room for improvement."

Signed up for DSL 15/1 initially but eventually upgraded to DSL 25/10 with a free dry loop.

I've been a customer for a while now. Only just recently have I had a need to call tech support for an issue. By far, my best support experience with any ISP I have every used. The technician (on both calls) listened to my problem, answered what he could and told me when he didn't know the answer to something I asked. Overall a pleasant experience even if the issue still persists to a lesser degree (I'm not fully convinced the problem is with ebox, I think it may be a problem with some bell equipment).

I would recommend this service to anyone who is moderately technical and can deal with some of their own troubleshooting.

UPDATE 06/02/14: While I continue to receive exactly the service I pay for, I wouldn't be so enthusiastic in recommending Ebox to friends and family. I was left less than impressed the last couple of times I had to call them for various reasons (nothing major but getting two different answers to the same question at two different times never sits well with me). Also, English questions / comments posted to these forums seem to often go answered. It's nothing huge at the moment but the little things certainly seem to be amiss. I believe this also comes through when reading up on issues experienced by others. So, it's the status quo for me - if this was a stock my recommendation would change from a strong buy to a hold. I'm hopeful they won't make their way to the sell category.

member for 1.5 years, 605 visits, last login: a few hours ago