ELECTRONICBOX page on DSLReports

Review by Chrysogonus See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Solid connection; excellent service"
Bad "Runs at half the advertised speed; $20 bring-your-own-modem charge; clueless Bell installers; IP address in Quebec"
Overall "Among the best value for the money in an overpriced market"

We ordered the 15/1 DSL package, normally $33 plus tax (as of the beginning of 2014), and were also able to obtain a $2/month group discount. We wanted something a bit faster than the 6/256k cable available for $25/month through TekSavvy, but didn't want to be spending $40/month, which was the next cable tier available (this is in a Rogers area); only DSL (Bell FTTN) had something available in between. We went with the Electronic Box DSL because, although their package doesn't have as high of a usage limit as the comparable TekSavvy DSL package, they waive the dryloop fee for all but the lowest tier of service; at the time, they also had a promotion to waive the installation fee. The only bizarre thing about their pricing is a $20 fee to use one's own modem; there's nothing they have to do to it, so I can't understand what this is for. This was almost enough for me to go with someone else, but fortunately this has been the only bogus fee so far. (It's also worth noting that their moving fee is rather high; but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.)

The ordering process was quite smooth; they initially neglected to apply the installation discount, but a quick email sorted that out. Their form is a bit strange, insofar as it only asks you what day of the week you want the installers to come; if that day is filled up by only one day, you'll be bumped by a whole week. Call in advance to check on availability. The installation window given was fairly large (12 to 9), but in my case the whole thing was complete by 2:30. We previously had a dialtone on the line (only good for calling 911 and 310-BELL), but the morning of the installation, this changed to DSL noise. The first installer arrived at about 12:30 and installed a demarcation point in our apartment (a new phone jack with a built-in voice/data splitter), after which everything worked; the second just checked that everything worked and left. (He actually said that he was supposed to install the demarcation point, but then what was the first meant to do? And if the first could do everything, why send two people?) Both were from Bell (the first with a full uniform, the second a contractor).

The supplied DSL modem is a ZyXEL P-660 F1; I ordered one from elsewhere, since it was a bit cheaper. No complaints.

The only issue we've had is that our phone line is also used by an intercom system in the building (an Enterphone), and we didn't check to see if it still worked while the installers were still here. It didn't. We haven't yet had the time to sort this out. It's also rather a pain that we've lost the line that allowed us to call 911, since I was hoping to use this in conjunction with a VoIP service; but it's hard to complain about losing things you weren't paying for. Had I known about these issues in advance, I probably would have gone with cable.

We haven't had any outages in the month since we've had the service, which is great. The speed is only half of what we're paying for, but it seems as if this is going to be the case no matter who we go with (this is an area just north of the University of Toronto). The only weird thing about the service is that it's routed through Montreal, which means that our IP address is also associated with that location. This means that some websites come up in French, and some won't serve us at all (for companies that can't be bothered to navigate the language laws). We have a VPN, so it's not an issue for us, but I can see it being a pain for some in certain situations.

Update, 13 May 2014: Electronic Box refused to do anything about our intercom problems, insisting that it was the building's problem. The landlord refused to do anything about it for the longest time, but eventually sent a private contractor who knew what he was doing. It turns out that the Bell contractor put the DSL on the same line as the intercom (even though I told him that it used the phone lines), which made a mess of everything; the solution was to move the intercom to a different line. Although it was strictly Bell's fault, it really did not impress me that Electronic Box refused to do anything about it; for example, they insisted that we would have to pay all the installation fees if we wanted to switch to their cable service. Moral of the story: if your building uses the Enterphone system, don't get DSL. Our speeds did not improve after switching the intercom to another line, and they still refuse to do anything about that. We're staying with them for now, but we'll probably go with someone else when we next move.

Comments:
nster

join:2013-12-15
H2M

refuse to do anything?

Well they have to pay 65$ (in QC at least) or something like that to the cable provider, which is also where the 20$ Bring your own modem fee comes from, it is because they subsidize the lower 50$ install fee with your purchase of the modem (ie: they use part of the profit they make on the modem to make up for the loss on the installation). So the 20$ fee is simply to avoid any losses. They have to charge you the installation fee as they pay it. If they send a bell tech to check on the problem they would be billed 100$ or something ridiculous if the problem was on your side and not Bell's.

Could you do a test of the speed at the demarcation point? Half speeds is definitively not normal at all and they should never "refuse to do anything about that". If they really did I suggest you PM a supervisor here your account number so that problems like this are handled better in the future. You should also bring up the IP adress problem with their support as you should have an Ontario IP

eboxdanny
Superviseur
join:2013-08-12
Longueuil, QC

To Chrysogonus

Good day,

Our initial promotion for the installation fee was of 69.95$ (this is a $15 reduction from the price we have to pay to the provider). When a client choses to purchase the modem with our company, we reduced the price by an additional $20. If a client does not purchase a modem with our company, the $20 charge is simply added back to the initial invoice (even when there is a free installation promotion). As for the moving fee, this is what it costs for all Third Party ISPs to instal an Internet connection at a new address.

In regards to your intercom situation, it is very delicate to resolve such an issue since we would have to resend Bell technicians but this request would be refused since they are not installers for such a service. We understand the inconvenience this might of caused you and we apologize for this mistake. When you will be moving, please pm me, eboxsidney or ebox alex and we will see how we can reduce your moving fees.

Concerning your speed issues, please contact our technical support department in order to see if they detect any abnormalities with your connection. If you have further mentions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards.

Review by dominique See Profile

• Location: Hoboken,Hudson,NJ

Although the service since installation has been without incident I was struck by the initial disorganization of the set up. My modem, which I had paid to have shipped, was sent to an incorrect address, and the company was then unable to deal with the error. I was responsible for calling the shipping company and correcting the mistake.

This was an unnecessary inconvenience. I did contact the company and requested a call back from the supervisor. This never came. I have stayed with Electronic Box rather than go through the hassle and expense of arranging a new provider, but I can't say I would recommend their services due to the rather unimpressive showing at following up on concerns of customers.

Comments:
iamhere

join:2013-01-26
canada

Location?

I didn't realize they offered service in New Jersey!

Review by melissabear See Profile

It took forever to set up my service. Technical support kept insisting the error that stopped me from getting internet access was a physical one but the THREE technicians they sent kept insisting it was on ElectronicBox's end. It ended up being ElectronicBox's error, which made me miss three days of work because I had to sit at home waiting for the technicians and unable to complete my homework during finals at home because they didn't check it properly. I went two weeks from the time I ordered the service until it was finally set up. I was also told that the modem had router capabilities, which it doesn't so when it finally worked, I had to go out and buy a router when I was told I wouldn't have to.

Customer service was really nice when I called, but nothing ever got done so it wasn't exactly useful.

When I finally thought it was all done, they charged me for the first broken modem they sent me, even though three customer service reps promised they'd email me the return slip and none of them did.

All in all, I've not been terribly impressed with that end so far. That being said, once they were actually able to get me internet, I've had no problems connecting or with speed or whatever. It's good on that end.

Comments:

Review by dr1max See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "reliability cable, value price, personal touch"
Bad "billing errors, peakourslowdown, conflicting information"
Overall "Ebox gives you a very reliable Videotron Cable internet worth 5 Starts for a better value"

Pre Sales information: 4 stars
no issue, called 5 times before switching over to ask questions, waiting times depends when you call

Install Co-ordination: 5 stars
2 email and 1 phone confirmation for installation received, videotron techs installed, no issue there.

Connection reliability: 5
possibility of slow speeds during business hours

Tech Support: 3 stars
4 calls made: so far agents were always friendly; some are more knowledgeable then others, but always willing to help and find or verify solutions while placing you on hold.
no 24/7 support/ left a message at 11pm while tech support was closed but received a call back first thing in the morning.

Would be nice if they would offer a no cap option for the 30/10 Cable Internet
billing errors for over usage charge, high start-up cost.

Overall there are issues with this ISP that are out of their control like the random slowdowns of speeds but its still a good company that I am happy to support.

Comments:

Review by gaganji See Profile

Good "Ease, price, support."
Bad "Give yourself a lot of extra time to setup/transfer."
Overall "Don't think there's anyone better at the moment."

Hands down, I don't think there's anyone better that I know at the moment.
There customer support is very personal, no other company does that out there.

Comments:

Review by Nat See Profile

• Location: Saint-Jerome,QC
Good "Very fast and professional"
Bad "Some questions were not answered on the website"
Overall "Very happy"

I ordered the 10/15 package with 250 GB / month
The installation was ... even better than I could have hoped for ... fast and with ABSOLUTELY no hassle
I bought a DCM 475
I'm very happy with how the transition went ...
I'm happily surprised of how much less GB I use with your company than what I used with the previous company (and I have not changed my utilization habits !) I used 30 GB with you last month and I had a very hard time staying under 75 GB with the other company ... I don't understand why that is but I'm very happy about it
I recommend your company to everyone with whom I have an internet provider conversation ... way to go, Electronic Box !!!

Comments:

Review by Chamou See Profile

• Location: Quebec,QC
Good "Fast and easy installation. Good price. Perfect french service"

20/10 for 49,95$ (150g). Fast installation. No problem at all

Comments:

Review by micara See Profile

• Location: j3l oj3

have the same service that I had with videotron for less money...that's good

Comments:

Review by Anderewrey See Profile

• Location: Sherbrooke,QC
Good "Price, service"
Bad "Should do more publicity about them"
Overall "I will stay with them for a long time"

Comments:

Review by aphileck See Profile

• Location: Longueuil,QC
Good "quality price"
Bad "upload speed not always stable"
Overall "happy with the service"

Would like to have the phone service but not compatible with my alarm company. The voip phone service doesn't seem to be good enough for them. That's a thing that should be considered by Electronic Box for the consumers.

Comments:
nster

join:2013-12-15
H2M

speed and alarm

Hi, upload speeds should be stable, contact ebox for some technical support. Alarm companies usually require PSTN landlines AFAIK so VOIP usually won't work, but the Alarm systems that are VOIP compatible should be compatible with ebox's voip