ELECTRONICBOX page on DSLReports

Review by tkaravou See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "High speed, low price, great download ca, no throttling. no contract"
Bad "Moving fee is higher than new installation. One time fee to use your own modem."
Overall "Best bang for your buck"

I switched from Acanac's DSL to Electronic Box's Cable in February. It took about 10 days until I was up and running but I specifically asked for a later install date as I waited for my other service to run out. I bought my own Motorola cable modem from Amazon and they had no issued with letting me use it (though I was charged a one time fee of $15 I believe).

So far, the service is excellent. They promised me 20Mbps and I get 20Mbps on speedtest.net. They also upgraded my upload speed dramatically without me asking from 2Mbs to 10Mbps with no charge. I was skeptical going from unlimited download to 150Gb since I download a lot of movies and I'm on Netflix all the time but I don't ever come close to the limit. Also, you can easily change your plan to allow for higher speeds or higher download caps which is amazing. If you're about to reach your limit for the month, just order more and voila.

As far as speed goes. I can stream Netflix in HD with no issues and torrents download at 2.2MB even at 8PM. I can even watch Netflix on two tvs while downloading torrents and still no issues.

The installation wasn't anything to brag about (a machine calls you and you can't respond) but it took under an hour and that's only because Videotron does their installation, not Electronic Box's fault.

In the end, I'm paying less than what I was with Acanac, I'm getting 4X the speed and my service never goes down. I also like that I'm not under contract.

My only gripe, I'll be moving in October and they're going to charge me more than my installation fee. C'est la vie.

Comments:

Review by moxious See Profile

Good "Great value speed and data plans"
Bad "Initial fees: activation + modem & shipping"
Overall "Initial fees are a drag but will save money in the long run"

Joined ElectronicBox because they offer data plans that major ISPs simply can't match. Initial fees are a drag but will eventually save money in the long run for a faster service with better data usage. Customer service was great.

• Location: Montreal,QC

ElectronicBox fournit un bon service. Je suis abonné depuis quelques mois et j'en suis satisfait. Pas de couts cachés, pas d'arnaques comme avec Bell. Je paye moins cher qu'avec Bell ou Videotron, pour une vitesse et une capacité beaucoup plus importante. Je recommande !!

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Jetskier2009

@electronicbox.net

My experience with ElectronicBox

Today is March 28th, I ordered a 6M dsl package with 100gb bandwidth on Feb 7th... upgraded to 250gb. starting April. Previously, I'm connected to a dsl provider in Toronto that sells yearly dsl package of 6M/unlimited download for $450 per year contract including tax. After completing my contract, I switch to Ebox. Because I thought my previous dsl provider has given me a poor service (and cannot cancel my contact without getting penalty). And by switching to another isp provider I can compare the difference in service. In my experience, both providers have similar bottleneck problem when the clock hits 5pm till 12 pm...symptoms like frequent disconnection and lower down speed when connection resumes. My modems are TP-link 300Mhz wireless N (with Broadcom chip), TrendNet 150 Mhz wireless N (not Broadcom) and old wired D-link (not Broadcom) all my dsl modems are functional and my TP-link is less that 12 months old. Therefore, I believe that my connection problem during peak times is not originating from my house telephone line nor filter, because my telephone has 3 filters in tandem...and my home phone demarc is untouched and metal covered in the basement wall. Last year, the Techsupport of my Toronto provider is always blaming my modem and my house wiring for the frequent disconnection issues during peak time (students are home)....And here at Ebox, he acknowledged that it was on the Bells line, but warned me of possible $99 fee if I open up a trouble ticket and if Bells tech says its not their problem and their system is just fine. It doesn't seems right, Bell can just easily say that their system is working fine even its not and still hand me the bill to pay....so I guess, I have no other better choice but to cancel my service from Ebox and go back to the Toronto ISP (same headache but cheaper pill). I will just finish this April service because it is paid in advance already, and do not see any improvement in download speed and I was going to pay some extra bandwidth penalty ($.50 per gb) because I went over my 100gb limit I guess, due to frequent re-downloading of disconnected movie downloads from youtube and similar movie sites. So in my opinion, the possible solution for frequent disconnection issue is to buy a bigger Bandwidth limit or unlimited bandwidth....or expensive DSL technology....or maybe the dsl provider can do something to make the customer happy?

Review by voltaic See Profile

• Location: Laval,QC
Good "Value for money"
Bad "Anxiety of having an internet outage"
Overall "Everything went smooth as a baby's bum"

Pre-Sales info: Switched from Videotron to Eletronicbox. Their site had all the information I need along with the reviews on DSLReports.

Install co-ordination: The technician came when he was supposed to and did what he needed to do and left (about an hour to verify all cables from pole to house). I left my new cable modem connected the whole night and it still wasn't syncing so I called Videotron and Eletronicbox just to be sure things were in order their end. Turns out my new cable modem was not yet activated on their system, but Eletronicbox technical support was great and made sure that everything was working (connected and speed test) before he let me go.

Connection reliability: Never had a problem with Videotron so I don't expect any problem with Eletronicbox. So far so good...

Tech Support: Only needed it once during the install and it was a great experience.

Services: What can I say...

Value for money: Again, what can I say... why pay more for less?

Comments:

Review by SL39 See Profile

Good "price"
Bad "it took long to get the installation date"
Overall "go for it!"

ebox has a good service for the price. i choose highspeed cable for 31.95$ with 100GB a month. i switched from videotron because they raised their price again without letting me know. however, i saw their email went to my spam folder. why was the invoice notification never in my spam folder??

so far i can totally recommend electronic box. it works! that is all what i wanted. speed is alright as well.

i ordered by phone, which was a little confusing, i was promised to get a installation date in about a week. finally it took almost 4 weeks until i got the date confirmed. i have to say, that it took to so long for a successful installtion, because i was 2.5 weeks on vacation. i got a modem used trough kijiji and saved about $50.

Comments:

Review by fanou See Profile

• Location: Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu,QC
Good "Bon service Moins cher que Vidéotron"
Bad "Investissement initial élevé"
Overall "Recommandé"

J'ai changé pour Electronicbox car mon contrat avec Vidéotron était terminé. Ils m'ont dit que le service n'était pas aussi bon quand je leur ai dit que je changeait pour Ebox. À date, tout va bien et ça me coute moins cher que Vidéotron pour le même service. Je n'ai pas pris le service téléphonique car il n'est pas compatibles avec les alarmes sinon, je l'aurai pris. Au début l'investissement est élevé mais ça va être repayé dans moins qu'un an.

Compte: PL28

Comments:

Review by poc See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Fast and reliable connection + good price"
Bad "Initial investment (modem + installation)"
Overall "Let's hope it continues like this."

Only 2 months with Electronic box, but so far, I'm very happy with it.
I have cable 20mb and bandwidth/ping are really good.
Price is also interesting, although the initial cost (modem + installation) is expensive.
I won't talk about tech support as I didn't have to deal with them yet.
Very happy with it so far.
I hope it'll continue this way

Comments:

Review by Hlr See Profile

• Location: Saint-Laurent,QC
Good "Ok value for bandwidth/month"
Bad "Useless customer service"
Overall "EB:A legal ticket scalpel selling for less but unable to help with anything that goes wrong."

CABLE: Gotta buy it from them or their competitors. Can't use modems from other regions such as ON, according to Sales.

INSTALLATION DATE: Be careful. Not all sales employees are honest about the dates.
They go through videotron for installation so:
1.Takes 5-10 days for them to email VT and get a response with the date.
2.Takes 5-14 days for the tech guy to come over.
3.Can take up to 3 hours for the net to activate after installation. So if anything goes wrong..go back to step number 1..

I had a minor note about the address to add. Called EB, they said you have to re-schedule the date since they can not convey that minor bit of info to the installation guy..manager was unavailable and they did not offer to call back. Called videotron: They were happy to convey the message but as soon as the guy on the phone realized I was with EB, he immediately changed his tone and said he can't. You are treated as a 2nd rate customer with VT, basically.
I had to wait near the entrance of the main building.

CUSTOMER SERVICE: Polite but all the rainbows and unicorns on the world won't get your internet up and running. They are basically PARALYZED and have to go through videotron with a period ranging from 7-21 days in order to get anything physical done.

SUMMARY: EB -and Teksavvy- are legal ticket scalpers selling for less. Anything physical involving your service at your residence takes an unacceptable amount of time to address. The value is ok for the bandwidth but if you are unlucky along the way -see steps 1-3 - you are screwed big time.
I hope they can work around the videotron and roger monopoly over the cable service.

Comments:

Review by imd1000 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "not bad as ISP"

so far no big problems but sometime I lose the connection for few sec.
at all the customer service is good but the waiting time is bite long 1/2hour average.
the speed connection is as expected

HI9

Comments:

Review by kyotepac See Profile

Good "Great speeds and download caps"
Bad "Videdotron installers"
Overall "Can't beat great pricing !"

Electronicbox provided me with great service for a great price.
I pick up the 20mbps 250gb package that blew away my 5mbps unlimited from my other provider.

Install was a bit of a pain as I had to have 2 Videotron installer come by as the first one refused to complete the installation due to a tree near the installing lines.

Besides that cant complain about the service.

I will be letting all my friends and family know who's got the best price for the service.

Thanks Jay