ELECTRONICBOX page on DSLReports

Review by spikexp0 See Profile

• Location: Mirabel,QC
Good "Price, support, GB"
Overall "Not as great of a ping as videotron"

I had videotron tgv30 before, the price was horrendous and the GB of download wasn't great.
Took some time before the install, but that was my error, the videotron account was at the name of my mother and the electronicbox is at my name (videotron got a problem with that).

I'm also using voip.ms as home phone now.
Cost me 48$ for both now.

Best spending I did this year.
Now, just need to scrap the TV (78$ each month...) with videotron.

member for 3.8 years, 15 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by Sukunai See Profile

• Location: Lindsay,ON
Good "Connection seems stable"
Bad "Do I actually have to have a bad?"
Overall "They are competitive or I wouldn't be here"

·TekSavvy DSL
I choose eBox because my very capable, very savvy, very informed, hard to please, expert computer counsel told me he was choosing them.

First rule of computers and the internet, you listen to the guy that sees to it your computer is running properly. 2nd rule of computers, anything good enough for your expert, is good enough for you.

Install went fine, the tech eBox sent seemed a bit under skilled in comparison to the tech from Bell that did follow up on the processes I needed done (dry loop install). The wiring was not up to the challenge of the dry loop, and the Bell tech ended up rewiring some of my line inside to make up for it.

There was a bit of confusion in getting my service running smoothly, and eBox on the phone ensured me it was all warrantied for a short bit to cover against any difficulties. Tech help was friendly and helpful.

Granted, my buddy thinks they should have picked up on a couple of issues that cropped up. He saw them for what they were almost instinctively. Which just goes to show, that while it is nice to have good service, it is also vital to have a buddy that knows precisely what is wrong so in order to tell the tech on the phone what needs fixing But that has been the case with all of my providers in the past. They need more people of the calibre of my friend, working in their companies

My time with eBox has been short still though. So I will not make grand statements yet.

Comments:

Review by jolalo See Profile

Good "Price, value, service, speed - prix, valeur, service, vitesse"
Bad "No AIO Cable modem - pas de modem câble tout en un"
Overall "Best bang for the buck - meilleur rapport qualité/prix"

Simple plans. I ordered Speedcable 30 (30mbps cable) because it was the best option in my condo, considering I have no landline. Whichever ISP I would have chosen, the dry loop fees would not have been worth it, as my condo is cable-ready. But Videotron's plans are pricey and too limited. I might not be a super-user, but I take around 60-100Gb of bandwidth every month, therefore I enjoy not having to watch my usage with the base 250Gb E-Box offers. The modem I bought them is OK, not the best quality but not a piece of crap neither, a Thomson Docsis 3.0-compliant. Installation of my cable line was done at the hour range I chose and was seemless. As of today, after months of usage, speed is still very good and the service is perfect for a paper-free adept like me. Can't ask for more. The best advertising a company can do is by doing right products at the right price and that's exactly what they do. Very impressed so far.

Forfaits simples. J'ai commandé SpeedCable 30 (câble 30MBps) parce que c'était la meilleure option dans mon condo, d'autant plus que je n'ai pas de téléphone fixe. Donc peu importe le fournisseur, les frais d'une ligne sèche ne valaient pas la peine par rapport au câble. Mais le câble Vidéotron est abusivement cher pour le peu de bande passante. Je ne suis pas un superutilisateur, mais ma maisonnée consomme grosso modo 60@100Go par mois. J'aime ne pas avoir à vérifier ma consommation avec les 250Go que j'ai avec E-Box. Le modem est correct, un Thomson Docsis 3.0, rien de super qualité, rien de douteux non plus. L'installation s'est faite à l'heure que je voulais, sans anicroches. La vitesse est géniale et le service est parfait pour un adepte du sans-papier comme moi. La meilleure publicité qu'une entreprise puisse faire c'est de donner un bon produit au bon prix, et c'est exactement le cas ici. Peut pas en demander plus. Très satisfait.

Comments:
silbaco
join:2009-08-03
USA

2 edits

Hmm....

26 reviews in 24 hours from which the vast majority are from new users?

If I ran this site, I would strip them of their award and purge this company from the database.
cyberspy66

join:2013-03-22
Pointe-Claire, QC

Re: Hmm....

wrong, i got 3 months ago ... Great service and product..
markf

join:2008-01-24
Burlington, ON
·WIND Mobile
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Execulink Telecom
They are running a contest for new users asking for reviews on this Site. Not sure if it is against the TOS.

They are offering one month free service to one user for reviews by March 29 from new users. Lots of people moving providers with new rates just released by the government in Canada
silbaco
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 recommendation

said by markf:

I am sure it is against the terms of use. Encouraging good reviews is one thing. Rewarding people for them is another. That breeds dishonesty which greatly reduces the creditability of the reviews on this site and the overall ratings.

As I said, I would purge this company from the database.
NetShark

join:2013-03-23
Toluca, IL

Re: Hmm....

I agree, trading money (credits) for reviews is dishonest.
xcimo
Ebox 60Mbps

join:2007-11-21
Gatineau, QC

Why not

I don't agree. I do not think they ask for good review. They ask for a review it be good or bad.

It bring new user to dslr and make ebox forum have a larger user base.

Review by skip331 See Profile

• Location: Pointe-Des-Cascades,QC
Good "Wow! Savings!!!!!!!!!!"
Bad "Tech support a bit.... well see review..."
Overall "Very very satisfied!"

Have been a client of Bell, Videotron, Colba. Sign in with ElectronicBox is easier than any other... Monthly charge very competitive.

Bad sides: Installation was a bit long as a tech on the other side mistype the serial number of the modem. As most Tech services, they served me the "the problem is from the customer side" but figure out the problem within a reasonable time. They forgot to inform me that the invoicing would be done on credit card for the first 6 month as they don't do any background check.

Good side: The modem is a Thomson DCM475 very very efficient, very simple to install. A bit pricy to purchase through ElectronicBox but trouble free! They use the Videotron connection, the Videotron technician for installation, but don't charge as much as Videotron. For the price of my 10Mb connection, I got a 20Mb connection with twice the d/l allowance than Videotron.

Bottom line: If you like giving too much money to PCP, do it. If you prefer it in your pocket, switch to Electronic Box.

Comments:

Review by siam403 See Profile

• Location: Quebec,QC
Good "price"
Bad "tech support"

I m a new customer with this company. Good service but tech support did mistakes like shipping the modem to a wrong adress and write a wrong name for billing.

Comments:

Review by robbym See Profile

• Location: Repentigny,QC
Good "INTERNET SPEED IS GOOD"
Bad "SPEED A BIT SLOW IN MORNING HOURS"

I have been with several isp suppliers in the past , and i consider electronicbox to be one of the best so far

Comments:

Review by deathguyQC See Profile

• Location: Gatineau,QC
Good "Great prices"
Bad "Requires Vidéotron tech visit"
Overall "Works great at a nice price, recommended!"

I needed to lower my Internet cost and ElectronicBox managed to do that quite easily! I downgraded my Internet from my previous provider from 30 to 20 Mbps (I don't see that big of a difference), get 150 Gb of bandwith (from 130 Gb) and pay $25 less per month for essentially a similar/same service.

I bought the modem for $99 and hopefully it will last several years.

Comments:

Review by IA9 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Fair price, no connectivity issues, no contract, no BS fees, only service I've had to up speed but not cost"
Bad "Installation got delayed"
Overall "Absolutely worth it"

I switched away from Videotron while moving because I saw no reason to get price gauged for the same packages at half the capacity. Unfortunately there were several delays with instillation as the previous tenant's service was not disconnected with their GSR.

Tech support initially told me to sort things out myself and provide them with a date and time for the old ISP's disconnection form, which was not possible as both the previous tenant and their ISP (Distributel) were not very responsive.

However, after I e-mailed Electronic Box back saying that it wasn't working out, within a few days they managed to fix the problem themselves. Other than the delay, the instillation process went very smoothly and I was pleased that I could have it done on a Saturday afternoon. For instillation, Electronic Box asks you to provide a range of times during the week that are good for you, which I really appreciated.

I have had nothing but good service for 4 months now, and in those 4 months there were two occasions where I received an e-mail about changes in prices/services, only to be pleasantly surprised that there was no price increase but in fact more options and better speeds for my existing package.

I use extreme cable 30, which is listed as costing $49.95, and I pay just that with tax for a total of 57.44$ a month. That's it, no hidden fees, not even a contract. I did have to initially buy a new modem ($100) and pay shipping ($15), but if you have your own modem already and it is compatible (or you just want to buy your own), you can have them connect that for an extra $20 instead. The instillation fee is $50, which I found reasonable considering how much cheaper the monthly service is compared to Videotron, and the installer did a very good job.

My connection has been excellent. It may have to do with my new location (as I believe the lines are the same as Videotron's?), but I have had no problems with it as a family of 2 heavy internet users, whereas at my previous location there were occasional issues. A current look at speedtest.net gives me 30.17 mbps down and 2.63 mbps up. My capacity is a generous 250gb per month. To compare, my old Videotron 30mbps package started at 66.95 for only 130gb capacity, which after taxes and occasional overage was really into the $80s range.

As my actual speed is consistent with what is advertised, I actually find it to be more than enough and may consider switching to 20mbps if the capacity there gets increased a little. It's nice to not have to worry about going over.

Comments:

Review by Francismich See Profile

• Location: Beaupre,QC
Good "Good price!"
Bad "Take some time to be plugged"

I'm from Beaupré, Qc. I have the high speed cable internet.

It took 3 weeks to be plugged (that the technicien came home).
I also had all the setup ready since the first day.
So we had to pay the technicien and wait 3 weeks for nothing.

It would be great to have a way to accelerate the plugging operation and to not oblige the people to wait and pay for the installation when they don't need it.

That said, I'm happy of the service since then

Francis Michaud

Comments:

Review by thuynh9 See Profile

• Location: Brossard,QC

This is an excellent service for the price. Electronicbox resells the services of the top 2 providers, but at lower prices and higher download/upload limits. The installation was flawless. The service afterward is just perfect: fast, no interruption, consistent upload/download speeds, etc. I used resellers before. The service quality is usually below the original supplier's; not the same with Electronicbox.

The only weak point is tech support. It seems emails are preferred. If you need to call, you might have to wait a bit long on the line. Then again, you rarely need tech support any way.

I will recommend Electronicbox to any one.