ELECTRONICBOX page on DSLReports

Review by alexb See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Unlimited usage, fair price"
Bad "Had some customer service issues"
Overall "Service is okay"

·VMedia
Edit: Issue was sorted out by Jean-Philippe.

Had my internet service cut off twice because of their failure to send me a bill! They made a typo in the billing email address on file, which I told them about THREE times, yet they still didn't fix it! Worst part is that it's an @electronicbox.net email address. And when I called today about this, they said they would "waive the late payment fee" as if they were doing me a huge favour.

The internet service itself is okay.

Comments:

Lebon14

join:2009-08-05
Canada

At least, try contacting Diskace here!

You should contact "Diskace" on this forum to get this sorted. I'm pretty sure there was a misunderstanding somewhere.

I think that the review is a bit unfair though... That's just my point of view though.
Eurobeat and B'z forever.

diskace
Electronic Box CEO
join:2002-02-21

initial response

Thank you for contacting me. I am very sorry to hear you had a bad experience. This should not reflect the level of service we are committed to give.

I confirm a typo was made on the email address. As a result the notices were not sent and the account got suspended eventually. I understand the frustration and would like to apologize for this unfortunate repeated human mistake.

I will followup with you by email.
Electronic Box Inc. - Jean-Philippe Béïque
Ebox forum »ELECTRONICBOX
LanAdmin

join:2010-11-07
Montreal, QC

Need to be organized

You have two choices: Use a credit card as a trouble free solution or pay your bill at a fix date every month. You know you have to pay the bill every month. You should not need a bill to remember that.
alexb

join:2010-01-13
Ottawa, ON
·VMedia
·ELECTRONICBOX

Re: Need to be organized

Thanks for your very late (2 years later?) and condescending comments.

1. I posted that review on behalf of my elderly mother who pays her bills by bringing them to a bank teller. If she never received one she would not have thought of paying it.
2. She didn't know what the billing cycle was because she never received a bill when she was supposed to.
3. Not everyone is comfortable with companies debiting their accounts or charging their credit cards automatically.
4. The point of the review was that they cut off her service on two occasions with no warning because of their own repeated mistake, even after I personally told them multiple times.
5. It's not the customer's responsibility to work around or find a solution to a company's mistakes.

Review by iamhere See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Great service, Great price, Great tech support"
Bad "What to expect on install day wasn't communicated fully and clearly - hopefully this has improved since I've joined"
Overall "Updated - was: Best ISP I've used over the years. now: Room for improvement."

Signed up for DSL 15/1 initially but eventually upgraded to DSL 25/10 with a free dry loop.

I've been a customer for a while now. Only just recently have I had a need to call tech support for an issue. By far, my best support experience with any ISP I have every used. The technician (on both calls) listened to my problem, answered what he could and told me when he didn't know the answer to something I asked. Overall a pleasant experience even if the issue still persists to a lesser degree (I'm not fully convinced the problem is with ebox, I think it may be a problem with some bell equipment).

I would recommend this service to anyone who is moderately technical and can deal with some of their own troubleshooting.

UPDATE 06/02/14: While I continue to receive exactly the service I pay for, I wouldn't be so enthusiastic in recommending Ebox to friends and family. I was left less than impressed the last couple of times I had to call them for various reasons (nothing major but getting two different answers to the same question at two different times never sits well with me). Also, English questions / comments posted to these forums seem to often go answered. It's nothing huge at the moment but the little things certainly seem to be amiss. I believe this also comes through when reading up on issues experienced by others. So, it's the status quo for me - if this was a stock my recommendation would change from a strong buy to a hold. I'm hopeful they won't make their way to the sell category.

member for 1.8 years, 757 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by claudecyr See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Service, speed"
Bad "Download limit (capped)"
Overall "overall good"

31.95 + taxes but after few months the price has increase by 2 dollars.

Comments:

Review by chall2k56 See Profile

• Location: Stittsville,ON
Good "Solid network connectivity"
Bad "Wasn't available sooner"
Overall "Another Great alternatiove to RoBellus"

·Acanac
·WIND Mobile
I started out as one of the Beta testers in Ontario for Cable services in Ontario.

Services are equal to that of the local incumbent, but at much cheaper rates.

There is no peak congestion outside of a congested node (would affect everyone in a small area if this is the case)

You will need a DOCSIS 3 modem for the service. EBox provides the Thompson DCM476 as it's default cable modem, and is capable of well over 150Mbps Downstream (a plan that may be offered in the future)

EBox is also working on an off-peak download option, so you may be able to download large files and torrents off peak to save your bandwidth quota

I haven't needed to use Technical Support, so I didnt rate for that

Update May 26 2014:

I have had 1 major service outage when there was a Fiber cut in Downtown Montreal, but other than that, it has been rock solid

There are also some new speeds coming at the end of the month 10/1, 30/5, 60/10 (not sure if ebox will offer the 150/15)

Comments:

Review by ostieca See Profile

• Location: h7n 0b5
Good "Reliable"
Bad "The SmartRG modem section is great, but the manual and wi-fi sections are missing some details and features."
Overall "Great company to make business with."

Great customer service from the pre-sale up to the post-sale. Once Bell fixed its network issues, the connection became faster than expected and rock solid. It's good to see this young local team being so serious about their products. Highly recommended.

member for 10.3 years, 244 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

eboxdanny

To ostieca

Thank you very much for your comments. We appreciate you taking the time to share your opinion about our company.

Have a nice day.

Review by andr33 See Profile

Overall "Excellent choice"

- I chose basic dsl 6mbs. It is excellent for most purposes, except things like streaming video, where slight delays would matter.

- unlimited during 2h..14h ; limit 100G 14h..2h (afternoon/evening)

--- The current usage during limited and unlimited periods is available on line, very quick to access. (Only client code is required.)

- 30,95/mo (no hidden costs). There is an additional fee if don't have regular phone service from Bell, like most if not all ISPs.

- no activation fee.

- is probably the lowest price available for DSL.

- the quality of service is identical to Bell, which is good. Since I now have my own modem (separate from my router), it works a bit better. (Bell provides a combined router/modem.)

- required automatic charging to a credit card (or maybe automatic debit). which is convenient. (It is a fixed fee every month, unless you have a very high usage.)

- very fast and friendly sign up service, but they missed a few relatively minor details. (none relating to costs)

--- e.g., I was surprised that my credit card was charged for the first month right away instead of when service started about 2 weeks later. But that is not a problem, considering that there is no activation fee.

- after initial month, invoices are aligned to calendar month, which is nice

- each month is charged on credit card around 10th of previous month. (I end up having to pay one month later, so that is not bad.)

--- It may be different if one pays by automatic debit, if available.

- all invoices are sent by email, and are simple, clear, and compact.

- very fast response for technical support (compared to Bell, who shuffles you from person to person). Had to call them for an initial configuration problem. I sent them a suggestion about detailing technical info by email at the beginning, so that may be no longer a problem. (Only one of the many settings is different from that of Bell, probably so one connects to them instead of Bell.)

- for equipment, one can buy or rent from them. I chose to buy elsewhere. They made no attempt to coerce me, just saying that if the equipment was from them it would be preconfigured. Excellent approach. (If you are challenged configuring electronic devices, buying from them would be easier, but they will help you in any case.)

- In sum, they provide excellent service, and if you do have a configuration problem, are very helpful. And they have an excellent price for basic DSL (6Mbps), with a large limit.

I'm glad I switched to them.

Comments:

eboxdanny

To andr33

Good day,

Thank you very much for taking the time to offer the feedback associated with your experience with our company. Please feel free to contact us if you have any inquiries.

Regards,

Review by Chrysogonus See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Solid connection; excellent service"
Bad "Runs at half the advertised speed; $20 bring-your-own-modem charge; clueless Bell installers; IP address in Quebec"
Overall "Among the best value for the money in an overpriced market"

We ordered the 15/1 DSL package, normally $33 plus tax (as of the beginning of 2014), and were also able to obtain a $2/month group discount. We wanted something a bit faster than the 6/256k cable available for $25/month through TekSavvy, but didn't want to be spending $40/month, which was the next cable tier available (this is in a Rogers area); only DSL (Bell FTTN) had something available in between. We went with the Electronic Box DSL because, although their package doesn't have as high of a usage limit as the comparable TekSavvy DSL package, they waive the dryloop fee for all but the lowest tier of service; at the time, they also had a promotion to waive the installation fee. The only bizarre thing about their pricing is a $20 fee to use one's own modem; there's nothing they have to do to it, so I can't understand what this is for. This was almost enough for me to go with someone else, but fortunately this has been the only bogus fee so far. (It's also worth noting that their moving fee is rather high; but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.)

The ordering process was quite smooth; they initially neglected to apply the installation discount, but a quick email sorted that out. Their form is a bit strange, insofar as it only asks you what day of the week you want the installers to come; if that day is filled up by only one day, you'll be bumped by a whole week. Call in advance to check on availability. The installation window given was fairly large (12 to 9), but in my case the whole thing was complete by 2:30. We previously had a dialtone on the line (only good for calling 911 and 310-BELL), but the morning of the installation, this changed to DSL noise. The first installer arrived at about 12:30 and installed a demarcation point in our apartment (a new phone jack with a built-in voice/data splitter), after which everything worked; the second just checked that everything worked and left. (He actually said that he was supposed to install the demarcation point, but then what was the first meant to do? And if the first could do everything, why send two people?) Both were from Bell (the first with a full uniform, the second a contractor).

The supplied DSL modem is a ZyXEL P-660 F1; I ordered one from elsewhere, since it was a bit cheaper. No complaints.

The only issue we've had is that our phone line is also used by an intercom system in the building (an Enterphone), and we didn't check to see if it still worked while the installers were still here. It didn't. We haven't yet had the time to sort this out. It's also rather a pain that we've lost the line that allowed us to call 911, since I was hoping to use this in conjunction with a VoIP service; but it's hard to complain about losing things you weren't paying for. Had I known about these issues in advance, I probably would have gone with cable.

We haven't had any outages in the month since we've had the service, which is great. The speed is only half of what we're paying for, but it seems as if this is going to be the case no matter who we go with (this is an area just north of the University of Toronto). The only weird thing about the service is that it's routed through Montreal, which means that our IP address is also associated with that location. This means that some websites come up in French, and some won't serve us at all (for companies that can't be bothered to navigate the language laws). We have a VPN, so it's not an issue for us, but I can see it being a pain for some in certain situations.

Update, 13 May 2014: Electronic Box refused to do anything about our intercom problems, insisting that it was the building's problem. The landlord refused to do anything about it for the longest time, but eventually sent a private contractor who knew what he was doing. It turns out that the Bell contractor put the DSL on the same line as the intercom (even though I told him that it used the phone lines), which made a mess of everything; the solution was to move the intercom to a different line. Although it was strictly Bell's fault, it really did not impress me that Electronic Box refused to do anything about it; for example, they insisted that we would have to pay all the installation fees if we wanted to switch to their cable service. Moral of the story: if your building uses the Enterphone system, don't get DSL. Our speeds did not improve after switching the intercom to another line, and they still refuse to do anything about that. We're staying with them for now, but we'll probably go with someone else when we next move.

Comments:
nster

join:2013-12-15
H2M
·ELECTRONICBOX

refuse to do anything?

Well they have to pay 65$ (in QC at least) or something like that to the cable provider, which is also where the 20$ Bring your own modem fee comes from, it is because they subsidize the lower 50$ install fee with your purchase of the modem (ie: they use part of the profit they make on the modem to make up for the loss on the installation). So the 20$ fee is simply to avoid any losses. They have to charge you the installation fee as they pay it. If they send a bell tech to check on the problem they would be billed 100$ or something ridiculous if the problem was on your side and not Bell's.

Could you do a test of the speed at the demarcation point? Half speeds is definitively not normal at all and they should never "refuse to do anything about that". If they really did I suggest you PM a supervisor here your account number so that problems like this are handled better in the future. You should also bring up the IP adress problem with their support as you should have an Ontario IP

To Chrysogonus

Good day,

Our initial promotion for the installation fee was of 69.95$ (this is a $15 reduction from the price we have to pay to the provider). When a client choses to purchase the modem with our company, we reduced the price by an additional $20. If a client does not purchase a modem with our company, the $20 charge is simply added back to the initial invoice (even when there is a free installation promotion). As for the moving fee, this is what it costs for all Third Party ISPs to instal an Internet connection at a new address.

In regards to your intercom situation, it is very delicate to resolve such an issue since we would have to resend Bell technicians but this request would be refused since they are not installers for such a service. We understand the inconvenience this might of caused you and we apologize for this mistake. When you will be moving, please pm me, eboxsidney or ebox alex and we will see how we can reduce your moving fees.

Concerning your speed issues, please contact our technical support department in order to see if they detect any abnormalities with your connection. If you have further mentions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards.

Review by dominique See Profile

• Location: Hoboken,Hudson,NJ

Although the service since installation has been without incident I was struck by the initial disorganization of the set up. My modem, which I had paid to have shipped, was sent to an incorrect address, and the company was then unable to deal with the error. I was responsible for calling the shipping company and correcting the mistake.

This was an unnecessary inconvenience. I did contact the company and requested a call back from the supervisor. This never came. I have stayed with Electronic Box rather than go through the hassle and expense of arranging a new provider, but I can't say I would recommend their services due to the rather unimpressive showing at following up on concerns of customers.

Comments:
iamhere

join:2013-01-26
canada

Location?

I didn't realize they offered service in New Jersey!

Review by melissabear See Profile

It took forever to set up my service. Technical support kept insisting the error that stopped me from getting internet access was a physical one but the THREE technicians they sent kept insisting it was on ElectronicBox's end. It ended up being ElectronicBox's error, which made me miss three days of work because I had to sit at home waiting for the technicians and unable to complete my homework during finals at home because they didn't check it properly. I went two weeks from the time I ordered the service until it was finally set up. I was also told that the modem had router capabilities, which it doesn't so when it finally worked, I had to go out and buy a router when I was told I wouldn't have to.

Customer service was really nice when I called, but nothing ever got done so it wasn't exactly useful.

When I finally thought it was all done, they charged me for the first broken modem they sent me, even though three customer service reps promised they'd email me the return slip and none of them did.

All in all, I've not been terribly impressed with that end so far. That being said, once they were actually able to get me internet, I've had no problems connecting or with speed or whatever. It's good on that end.

Comments:

Review by dr1max See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "reliability cable, value price, personal touch"
Bad "billing errors, peakourslowdown, conflicting information"
Overall "Ebox gives you a very reliable Videotron Cable internet worth 5 Starts for a better value"

Pre Sales information: 4 stars
no issue, called 5 times before switching over to ask questions, waiting times depends when you call

Install Co-ordination: 5 stars
2 email and 1 phone confirmation for installation received, videotron techs installed, no issue there.

Connection reliability: 5
possibility of slow speeds during business hours

Tech Support: 3 stars
4 calls made: so far agents were always friendly; some are more knowledgeable then others, but always willing to help and find or verify solutions while placing you on hold.
no 24/7 support/ left a message at 11pm while tech support was closed but received a call back first thing in the morning.

Would be nice if they would offer a no cap option for the 30/10 Cable Internet
billing errors for over usage charge, high start-up cost.

Overall there are issues with this ISP that are out of their control like the random slowdowns of speeds but its still a good company that I am happy to support.