dslreports logo
site
spacer

spacer
 
    ISP Rolodex Intro Local ISPs Members U-Verse FiOS FiOS Soon
spc

spacer




how-to block ads



ELECTRONICBOX page on DSLReports
Six Month Rating

Reviews:
bullet 751 reviews (658 good) (20 bad)
bullet Submit a review by email click here
bullet login for new review notification feature

Review by AMailer See Profile

  • Location: Burlington,ON
  • Cost: $52 per month (month by month)
  • Install: about 30 days
Good "2am-to-2pm Unlimited; No dry-loop fees; Good speeds"
Bad "Sagemcom sync-no-surf issues"
Overall "Great value for your money"
Pre Sales information:
Install Co-ordination:
Connection reliability:
Tech Support:
Services:
Value for money:
(ratings match consensus)

I placed an order for Electronic Box's FTTN Extreme 25 DSL package (in Ontario) approximately 30 days before my cancellation from my previous internet service provider, Bell Canada. I was switching from Bell's Fibe 25/10 with Fibe TV.

On the day of installation the I had two tech visits; the first installed a pot splitter and left. The second came and simply did some checks (and apparently changed something outside of the apartment) and made sure my internet was up and running.

Since installation I have been able to get up to full 25/10 speeds and no major downtimes have occurred since.

The biggest issue I've encountered was the "sync-no-surf" issue with the Sagemcom modems from bell. It became extremely frustrating having my internet connection suddenly become unresponsive with the need to reboot my modem sometimes 2-3 times a week. I have since however called up Electronic Box and asked them to switch me to an interleave profile which - while not having resolved the problem completely - it has definitely reduced the frequency to reboot the modem to around a month if not a bit more.

Overall, great customer service when I was in need of it, speeds are now good even though pings are slightly higher due to the interleave profile - but the connection is now what I would deem reliable.

My complaint would be that Electronic Box does not seem to have an exchange program available (at least as of yet) to get my Sagemcom replaced with a SmartRG modem which is suppose to completely fix the so-called "sync-no-surf" issue.
Hoping that this will change however soon!

Update June 6th, 2014:
--------------------------------
After my sagecom modem started restarting during full speed downloads, I contacted ElectronicBox and they sent me the new SmartRG modem as a free exchange!

Now everything is working perfectly, I'm also back on the fastpath profile.

Getting in touch with support was instant - and the support staff was great. +1

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3547903073

member for 10.7 years, 3296 visits, last login: 1 days ago
updated 174 days ago

Comments:

eboxdanny
Superviseur
Premium
join:2013-08-12
Longueuil, QC

To AMailer

Good day,

Thank you for sharing your experience with our company. In order for us to exchange a modem (example: Sagemcom), it has to be defective and it has to of to of been purchased from our company. The modem has to be under warranty and once the technical support has confirmed these mentions, only then are we able to exchange this equipment.

We are glad that you are satisfied with your internet connection and please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any inquiries.

Regards.
LanAdmin

join:2010-11-07
Montreal, QC

1 edit

Bell Sagemcom sync-no-surf

Why did you give Ebox only 75% on "Connection reliability"? Your problem was with Bell Sagemcom modem not Ebox network.

AMailer
Aaron DM

join:2004-04-03

Re: Bell Sagemcom sync-no-surf

And it affects my connection.

Having said that, I will be updating it. Connection has been rock solid ever since they swapped my modem for a SmartRG.

Review by Jason1539 See Profile

  • Location: Val-Des-Monts,QC
  • Cost: $38 per month
  • Install: about 15 days
Good "Monthly price, Qc product."
Bad "False information at the start by the seller, FTTN Speed, xtra charges $$"
Pre Sales information:
Install Co-ordination:
Connection reliability:
Tech Support:
Services:
Value for money:
(ratings below consensus)

J'étais avec Bell fibe 15-10 depuis 2 ans. Ma vitesse maximale était de 12 mbps. J'ai contacté electronic box car ils offraient le FTTN 10 et le représentant des ventes a qui j'ai parlé m'a assuré que j'aurais du 10 mbps a ma ligne (et non jusqu'a) et si je voulais le FTTN je pourrais même avoir du 14.5 ce qui était beaucoup mieux que Bell. J'ai donc effectué la cancellation chez bell et je me suis abonné chez Ebox. Je trouvais que la facture du départ était dispendieuse (222$) car j'ai acheté le modem (120$), j'ai payé le premier mois et j'ai payé la moitié du prix d'installation (25$). L'installation a prit beaucoup de temps a mon avis (15 jours) et le technicien de bell est finalement arrivée chez moi pour ne rien faire me disant que la ligne était déjà en place. Donc je me retrouvais a payer un frais d'installation pour une raison un peu inconnue. Puis, lorsque j'étais finalement branché avec Ebox, ma vitesse ne pouvait être de plus de 8.5-8.6-8.7 alors que le représentant m'avait assuré du 10 mbps. J'étais très déçu et j'ai appelé Ebox qui m'ont offert 3$ de rabais pour les 6 prochains mois. J'ai demandé a avoir le forfait FTTN 15 et avoir un rabais sur ce forfait car je ne pourrai probablement avoir plus que du 12 comme avec bell. Le service a la clientèle m'a donc offert le forfait FTTN 15 avec le même rabais que la FTTN 10 (un gros 3$ mais pour 8 mois). De plus, je me retrouve a payer un frais pour changement de forfait de 25$ et je n'ai pas le choix de payer ce frais. Le superviseur m'a offert un 10$ sur ce frais qui je trouve ne devrait pas m'être chargé car j'aurais tenté ma chance avec FTTN 15 au départ si j'avais su tout ces inconvénients. Le superviseur était sensé me rappellé hier et ne l'a pas fait encore concernant le changement. J'avais hâte d'encourage une compagnie québécoise et je me retrouve décu de tout les frais supplémentaires et de la vitesse internet a mon domicile.

member for 190 days, 2 visits, last login: 187 days ago
updated 189 days ago

Comments:
LanAdmin

join:2010-11-07
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·voip.ms

2 edits

Il y en a qui ne sont jamais contant

Lorsque tu étais avec Bell, tu devais être sur un profile avec correction d'erreur à cause de la mauvaise qualité de ligne Bell. En changent pour Ebox, cela n'a pas amélioré la qualité de ta ligne. Ta vitesse de 8.6Mbps est donc normale.

Ebox t'a très bien traité en t'offrant des rabais auquels tu n'aurais pas dû avoir droit.

blakenet

join:2011-03-15
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX

Re: Il y en a qui ne sont jamais contant

je crois que expliqué de cette facon il ne comprendra pâs tout a fait :P

ebox et les autres fournisseurs independants sont depandant des lignes de transmission de bell et videotron au quebec, selon lanadmin, lorsque tu etait avec bell, il ont surement fait des modifications sur ta ligne pour que tu obtienne ton 12 mbit (le tout du a une mauvaise ligne chez toi) en fesant le saut de ebox, cette modification a été oubliée "volontairement ou pas" et bell n'aura surement pas la meme volonté ''doptimiser" la ligne problematique dun client tpia

et biensur quand on te dit 14.5 c'est dans de bonnes conditions, personellement je crois pas que tu aura plus que bell du moins au depart, tu aura surement du 12mbit max sur ton forfait 15 comme tu avais avec bell, mais advenant le cas, comparé a etre avec bell si tu te plaint de basse vitesse il feront surement une demande a bell pour ameliorer le tout
--
non mais... ca speux tu

blakenet

join:2011-03-15
Montreal, QC

Re: Il y en a qui ne sont jamais contant

le point ou ebox se demarquera de bell c du coté service client, quand tu aura un probleme ca se reglera beaucoup plus vite
--
non mais... ca speux tu

Review by n3i1 See Profile

  • Location: North York,ON
  • Cost: $25 per month
Good "Price, speed as advertised."
Bad "none yet"
Overall "very good intro promo price and good pricing after the promo as well"

I've been stuck with DSL for 5 years because Bell couldnt get FIBE to my area. I've bee looking for cable internet but most providers require and arm and a leg for install + cost of modem. I did my research and found EBox' prices very decent. Install 50 + 5/month for modem rental + 25/month promo for 25/2 mbps. This was an awesome deal! I also like the fact that you can buy out the modem so your rental is actually going into your payment to own the modem. Others have something similar but they want you to pay it off in 3 months! plus they jack up the price of the modem by 20 bucks.

Anyway Install date came, took less than an hour and i was online. I since moved to VOIP and IPTV and this this connection is solid as a rock. I'm very happy with their service and it's saving me money since i can now "CUT THE CABLE" with Bell.

I have contacted their support for a few technical questions or just to ask if my Rogers tech was coming in for the install and the wait was no longer than 15 mins.

Btw just read previous reviews about this company and they are all true!

member for 3.7 years, 1 visits, last login: 190 days ago
lodged 190 days ago

Comments:

Review by alexb See Profile

  • Location: Ottawa,ON
  • Cost Contract price not specified.
Good "Unlimited usage, fair price"
Bad "Had some customer service issues"
Overall "Service is okay"
Pre Sales information:
Install Co-ordination:
Connection reliability:
Tech Support:
Services:
Value for money:
(ratings below consensus)

My Other Reviews

·VMedia
Edit: Issue was sorted out by Jean-Philippe.

Had my internet service cut off twice because of their failure to send me a bill! They made a typo in the billing email address on file, which I told them about THREE times, yet they still didn't fix it! Worst part is that it's an @electronicbox.net email address. And when I called today about this, they said they would "waive the late payment fee" as if they were doing me a huge favour.

The internet service itself is okay.

member for 4.9 years, 139 visits, last login: 9 days ago
updated 198 days ago

Comments:

Lebon14

join:2009-08-05
Canada

At least, try contacting Diskace here!

You should contact "Diskace" on this forum to get this sorted. I'm pretty sure there was a misunderstanding somewhere.

I think that the review is a bit unfair though... That's just my point of view though.
--
Eurobeat and B'z forever.

diskace
Electronic Box CEO
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-21
kudos:3

initial response

Thank you for contacting me. I am very sorry to hear you had a bad experience. This should not reflect the level of service we are committed to give.

I confirm a typo was made on the email address. As a result the notices were not sent and the account got suspended eventually. I understand the frustration and would like to apologize for this unfortunate repeated human mistake.

I will followup with you by email.
--
Electronic Box Inc. - Jean-Philippe Béïque
Ebox forum »ELECTRONICBOX
LanAdmin

join:2010-11-07
Montreal, QC

Need to be organized

You have two choices: Use a credit card as a trouble free solution or pay your bill at a fix date every month. You know you have to pay the bill every month. You should not need a bill to remember that.
alexb

join:2010-01-13
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·ELECTRONICBOX

Re: Need to be organized

Thanks for your very late (2 years later?) and condescending comments.

1. I posted that review on behalf of my elderly mother who pays her bills by bringing them to a bank teller. If she never received one she would not have thought of paying it.
2. She didn't know what the billing cycle was because she never received a bill when she was supposed to.
3. Not everyone is comfortable with companies debiting their accounts or charging their credit cards automatically.
4. The point of the review was that they cut off her service on two occasions with no warning because of their own repeated mistake, even after I personally told them multiple times.
5. It's not the customer's responsibility to work around or find a solution to a company's mistakes.

Review by iamhere See Profile

  • Location: canada
  • Cost: $51 per month
  • Install: about 5 days
Good "Great service, Great price, Great tech support"
Bad "What to expect on install day wasn't communicated fully and clearly - hopefully this has improved since I've joined"
Overall "Updated - was: Best ISP I've used over the years. now: Room for improvement."
Pre Sales information:
Install Co-ordination:
Connection reliability:
Tech Support:
Services:
Value for money:
(ratings match consensus)

Signed up for DSL 15/1 initially but eventually upgraded to DSL 25/10 with a free dry loop.

I've been a customer for a while now. Only just recently have I had a need to call tech support for an issue. By far, my best support experience with any ISP I have every used. The technician (on both calls) listened to my problem, answered what he could and told me when he didn't know the answer to something I asked. Overall a pleasant experience even if the issue still persists to a lesser degree (I'm not fully convinced the problem is with ebox, I think it may be a problem with some bell equipment).

I would recommend this service to anyone who is moderately technical and can deal with some of their own troubleshooting.

UPDATE 06/02/14: While I continue to receive exactly the service I pay for, I wouldn't be so enthusiastic in recommending Ebox to friends and family. I was left less than impressed the last couple of times I had to call them for various reasons (nothing major but getting two different answers to the same question at two different times never sits well with me). Also, English questions / comments posted to these forums seem to often go answered. It's nothing huge at the moment but the little things certainly seem to be amiss. I believe this also comes through when reading up on issues experienced by others. So, it's the status quo for me - if this was a stock my recommendation would change from a strong buy to a hold. I'm hopeful they won't make their way to the sell category.

member for 1.9 years, 796 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 201 days ago

Comments:

Review by claudecyr See Profile

  • Location: Canada
  • Cost: $38 per month (12 month contract)
  • Install: about 21 days
  • Telco party Bell Canada
Good "Service, speed"
Bad "Download limit (capped)"
Overall "overall good"
Pre Sales information:
Install Co-ordination:
Connection reliability:
Tech Support:
Services:
Value for money:
(ratings match consensus)

31.95 + taxes but after few months the price has increase by 2 dollars.

member for 205 days, 0 visits, last login: 205 days ago
lodged 205 days ago

Comments:






Review by chall2k56 See Profile

  • Location: Stittsville,ON
  • Cost: $60 per month (month by month)
  • Install: about 7 days
Good "Solid network connectivity"
Bad "Wasn't available sooner"
Overall "Another Great alternatiove to RoBellus"
Pre Sales information:
Install Co-ordination:
Connection reliability:
Tech Support:
Services:
Value for money:
(ratings match consensus)

My Other Reviews

·Acanac
·WIND Mobile
I started out as one of the Beta testers in Ontario for Cable services in Ontario.

Services are equal to that of the local incumbent, but at much cheaper rates.

There is no peak congestion outside of a congested node (would affect everyone in a small area if this is the case)

You will need a DOCSIS 3 modem for the service. EBox provides the Thompson DCM476 as it's default cable modem, and is capable of well over 150Mbps Downstream (a plan that may be offered in the future)

EBox is also working on an off-peak download option, so you may be able to download large files and torrents off peak to save your bandwidth quota

I haven't needed to use Technical Support, so I didnt rate for that

Update May 26 2014:

I have had 1 major service outage when there was a Fiber cut in Downtown Montreal, but other than that, it has been rock solid

There are also some new speeds coming at the end of the month 10/1, 30/5, 60/10 (not sure if ebox will offer the 150/15)

member for 7.2 years, 218 visits, last login: 136 days ago
updated 208 days ago

Comments:

Review by ostieca See Profile

  • Location: h7n 0b5
  • Cost: $44 per month (month by month)
  • Install: about 10 days
  • Telco party Bell Canada
Good "Reliable"
Bad "The SmartRG modem section is great, but the manual and wi-fi sections are missing some details and features."
Overall "Great company to make business with."
Pre Sales information:
Install Co-ordination:
Connection reliability:
Tech Support:
Services:
Value for money:
(ratings match consensus)

Great customer service from the pre-sale up to the post-sale. Once Bell fixed its network issues, the connection became faster than expected and rock solid. It's good to see this young local team being so serious about their products. Highly recommended.

member for 10.3 years, 262 visits, last login: 1 days ago
lodged 218 days ago

Comments:

eboxdanny
Superviseur
Premium
join:2013-08-12
Longueuil, QC

To ostieca

Thank you very much for your comments. We appreciate you taking the time to share your opinion about our company.

Have a nice day.






Review by andr33 See Profile

  • Location: undisclosed location
  • Cost Contract price not specified.
  • Telco party Bell Canada
Overall "Excellent choice"
Pre Sales information:
Install Co-ordination:
Connection reliability:
Tech Support:
Services:
Value for money:
(ratings match consensus)

- I chose basic dsl 6mbs. It is excellent for most purposes, except things like streaming video, where slight delays would matter.

- unlimited during 2h..14h ; limit 100G 14h..2h (afternoon/evening)

--- The current usage during limited and unlimited periods is available on line, very quick to access. (Only client code is required.)

- 30,95/mo (no hidden costs). There is an additional fee if don't have regular phone service from Bell, like most if not all ISPs.

- no activation fee.

- is probably the lowest price available for DSL.

- the quality of service is identical to Bell, which is good. Since I now have my own modem (separate from my router), it works a bit better. (Bell provides a combined router/modem.)

- required automatic charging to a credit card (or maybe automatic debit). which is convenient. (It is a fixed fee every month, unless you have a very high usage.)

- very fast and friendly sign up service, but they missed a few relatively minor details. (none relating to costs)

--- e.g., I was surprised that my credit card was charged for the first month right away instead of when service started about 2 weeks later. But that is not a problem, considering that there is no activation fee.

- after initial month, invoices are aligned to calendar month, which is nice

- each month is charged on credit card around 10th of previous month. (I end up having to pay one month later, so that is not bad.)

--- It may be different if one pays by automatic debit, if available.

- all invoices are sent by email, and are simple, clear, and compact.

- very fast response for technical support (compared to Bell, who shuffles you from person to person). Had to call them for an initial configuration problem. I sent them a suggestion about detailing technical info by email at the beginning, so that may be no longer a problem. (Only one of the many settings is different from that of Bell, probably so one connects to them instead of Bell.)

- for equipment, one can buy or rent from them. I chose to buy elsewhere. They made no attempt to coerce me, just saying that if the equipment was from them it would be preconfigured. Excellent approach. (If you are challenged configuring electronic devices, buying from them would be easier, but they will help you in any case.)

- In sum, they provide excellent service, and if you do have a configuration problem, are very helpful. And they have an excellent price for basic DSL (6Mbps), with a large limit.

I'm glad I switched to them.

member for 221 days, 0 visits, last login: 221 days ago
updated 221 days ago

Comments:

eboxdanny
Superviseur
Premium
join:2013-08-12
Longueuil, QC

To andr33

Good day,

Thank you very much for taking the time to offer the feedback associated with your experience with our company. Please feel free to contact us if you have any inquiries.

Regards,

Review by Chrysogonus See Profile

  • Location: Toronto,ON
  • Cost: $35 per month
  • Install: about 10 days
  • Telco party Bell Canada
Good "Solid connection; excellent service"
Bad "Runs at half the advertised speed; $20 bring-your-own-modem charge; clueless Bell installers; IP address in Quebec"
Overall "Among the best value for the money in an overpriced market"
Pre Sales information:
Install Co-ordination:
Connection reliability:
Tech Support:
Services:
Value for money:
(ratings below consensus)

We ordered the 15/1 DSL package, normally $33 plus tax (as of the beginning of 2014), and were also able to obtain a $2/month group discount. We wanted something a bit faster than the 6/256k cable available for $25/month through TekSavvy, but didn't want to be spending $40/month, which was the next cable tier available (this is in a Rogers area); only DSL (Bell FTTN) had something available in between. We went with the Electronic Box DSL because, although their package doesn't have as high of a usage limit as the comparable TekSavvy DSL package, they waive the dryloop fee for all but the lowest tier of service; at the time, they also had a promotion to waive the installation fee. The only bizarre thing about their pricing is a $20 fee to use one's own modem; there's nothing they have to do to it, so I can't understand what this is for. This was almost enough for me to go with someone else, but fortunately this has been the only bogus fee so far. (It's also worth noting that their moving fee is rather high; but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.)

The ordering process was quite smooth; they initially neglected to apply the installation discount, but a quick email sorted that out. Their form is a bit strange, insofar as it only asks you what day of the week you want the installers to come; if that day is filled up by only one day, you'll be bumped by a whole week. Call in advance to check on availability. The installation window given was fairly large (12 to 9), but in my case the whole thing was complete by 2:30. We previously had a dialtone on the line (only good for calling 911 and 310-BELL), but the morning of the installation, this changed to DSL noise. The first installer arrived at about 12:30 and installed a demarcation point in our apartment (a new phone jack with a built-in voice/data splitter), after which everything worked; the second just checked that everything worked and left. (He actually said that he was supposed to install the demarcation point, but then what was the first meant to do? And if the first could do everything, why send two people?) Both were from Bell (the first with a full uniform, the second a contractor).

The supplied DSL modem is a ZyXEL P-660 F1; I ordered one from elsewhere, since it was a bit cheaper. No complaints.

The only issue we've had is that our phone line is also used by an intercom system in the building (an Enterphone), and we didn't check to see if it still worked while the installers were still here. It didn't. We haven't yet had the time to sort this out. It's also rather a pain that we've lost the line that allowed us to call 911, since I was hoping to use this in conjunction with a VoIP service; but it's hard to complain about losing things you weren't paying for. Had I known about these issues in advance, I probably would have gone with cable.

We haven't had any outages in the month since we've had the service, which is great. The speed is only half of what we're paying for, but it seems as if this is going to be the case no matter who we go with (this is an area just north of the University of Toronto). The only weird thing about the service is that it's routed through Montreal, which means that our IP address is also associated with that location. This means that some websites come up in French, and some won't serve us at all (for companies that can't be bothered to navigate the language laws). We have a VPN, so it's not an issue for us, but I can see it being a pain for some in certain situations.

Update, 13 May 2014: Electronic Box refused to do anything about our intercom problems, insisting that it was the building's problem. The landlord refused to do anything about it for the longest time, but eventually sent a private contractor who knew what he was doing. It turns out that the Bell contractor put the DSL on the same line as the intercom (even though I told him that it used the phone lines), which made a mess of everything; the solution was to move the intercom to a different line. Although it was strictly Bell's fault, it really did not impress me that Electronic Box refused to do anything about it; for example, they insisted that we would have to pay all the installation fees if we wanted to switch to their cable service. Moral of the story: if your building uses the Enterphone system, don't get DSL. Our speeds did not improve after switching the intercom to another line, and they still refuse to do anything about that. We're staying with them for now, but we'll probably go with someone else when we next move.

member for 322 days, 4 visits, last login: 221 days ago
updated 221 days ago

Comments:
nster

join:2013-12-15
H2M
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX

refuse to do anything?

Well they have to pay 65$ (in QC at least) or something like that to the cable provider, which is also where the 20$ Bring your own modem fee comes from, it is because they subsidize the lower 50$ install fee with your purchase of the modem (ie: they use part of the profit they make on the modem to make up for the loss on the installation). So the 20$ fee is simply to avoid any losses. They have to charge you the installation fee as they pay it. If they send a bell tech to check on the problem they would be billed 100$ or something ridiculous if the problem was on your side and not Bell's.

Could you do a test of the speed at the demarcation point? Half speeds is definitively not normal at all and they should never "refuse to do anything about that". If they really did I suggest you PM a supervisor here your account number so that problems like this are handled better in the future. You should also bring up the IP adress problem with their support as you should have an Ontario IP

eboxdanny
Superviseur
Premium
join:2013-08-12
Longueuil, QC

To Chrysogonus

Good day,

Our initial promotion for the installation fee was of 69.95$ (this is a $15 reduction from the price we have to pay to the provider). When a client choses to purchase the modem with our company, we reduced the price by an additional $20. If a client does not purchase a modem with our company, the $20 charge is simply added back to the initial invoice (even when there is a free installation promotion). As for the moving fee, this is what it costs for all Third Party ISPs to instal an Internet connection at a new address.

In regards to your intercom situation, it is very delicate to resolve such an issue since we would have to resend Bell technicians but this request would be refused since they are not installers for such a service. We understand the inconvenience this might of caused you and we apologize for this mistake. When you will be moving, please pm me, eboxsidney or ebox alex and we will see how we can reduce your moving fees.

Concerning your speed issues, please contact our technical support department in order to see if they detect any abnormalities with your connection. If you have further mentions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards.