ELECTRONICBOX page on DSLReports

Review by LanAdmin See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Reliable service"
Bad "No off-peak on cable / High latency to some Canadian servers"
Overall "Competitive prices"

With Ebox since February 2012

Good:
Reliable service
Competitive prices

Bad:
Latency can be high to some Canadian servers compare to other ISP.
Speed change: 3 to 7 weeks
Transfer cap change: 3 to 7 weeks (20 days before next month)
No unlimited off-peak on cable
No online customer portal.
Installation: 3 weeks
Data transfer packages (max of 4): good luck to find what it is about.

»www.electronicbox.net/en/interne···kages-2/
-----------------------------------

Avec Ebox depuis Février 2012

Pour:
Service fiable
Prix compétitifs

Contre:
Latence élevé avec certains sites Canadien comparé à d'autres fournisseurs Internet.
Changement de vitesse: 3 à 7 semaines
Changement de forfaits: 3 à 7 semaines (20 jours avant le début du mois)
Pas de transfert illimité en période hors-pointe sur le câble.
Pas de portail client pour accéder à votre compte.
Installation: 3 semaines

»www.electronicbox.net/forfaits-internet/

member for 3.8 years, 816 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by Dyalry See Profile

• Location: Thornhill,ON
Good "Price"
Bad "Over promise & under deliver, accepted modem list apparently not accurate"

My experience with this company so far is becoming a nightmare...

Brand new install for my new home in area that is serviced bell, rogers, Tek Saavy & Ebox (Bayview & Steeles)...

1) Group set up aug 11. Indicated that I would buy the Thompson DCM476 from them

2) Call Ebox the following day of Aug 13 2014 to cancel my initial thompson modem order through them and let them know that I will be bringing my own modem motorola SB 6141 7 1.0.6.12 (Brand spanking new). Agent sends me email the following list of compatible modems and requests that I take a photo of my Modem's Serial Number and MAC address

Manufacturer Model Firmware Version

Technicolor DCM475 1.1 STAC.02.16

Technicolor DCM476 2 AC.02.50

Technicolor DCM476 2.1 AC.02.50

Technicolor DCW775 1.1 STB.01.51

3) I send email with picture of my SN & MAC of my modem later on the same date after coming home from work (aug 13 2014).

4) August 14 I call back and speak to a rep and book installation window for August 23, 24, 25

5) August 15 Ebox sends me the bill for first payment (which is due at a later time)

6) Anxiously my family and I await a week for a phone call to confirm my installation for this weekend.

7) no phone call all week so I call them today, who inform me that my installation this weekend is not gonna happen. Apparently the rep i spoke to on the 14th didn't give rogers enough time and yet no one called me to let me know that my installation wasn't going to work out.

8) I then ask them when the next available window is...the agent in turn asks me when I"m available...to which I reply, "any time" (I'm desperate and will use a sick day from work to get this done now)

9) Proceeds to book me as "early as possible status" which could potentially be this monday or tuesday...however no guarantee until I receive a call from the installation technician.

10) Then goes on to tell me that if I were to book September 2 or beyond that set up would be a lock

11) I then ask if anything else earlier is available (this week) to which he says no and points out that if I wanted the week of 25th - 29th I should of placed my order on the 16th - See #7

12) Ultimately I thank him for the great service (agent was great, situation sucked) and disconnected the phone.

13) 2 mins later I call EBOX again to confirm the details for my own peace of mind - I used to do this with Rogers back in the day...

14) Agent confirms the details and we end conversation and I hang up.

15) A few minutes later I receive a call from another representative from Ebox then calls me and now informs me that the Brand spanking new Motorola SB 6141 7 1.0.6.12 (i bought from Newegg) is not compatable with the 30/5 deal. Confused I then ask which types would work with this deal and he replies ONLY the DCM476. - See #2

16) Confused, I then inform the agent that I will call back and provide my response at a later time.

This is got to be the worst install experience I have ever had hands down. I want to move to Tek Savvy so bad but if I cancel now, will that screw over the other members of the group? And is the SB6141 compatible with this deal or not (am I out $100 bucks)? Would truly love to give this company a glowing review because their customer service agents seem genuinely interested in helping...will reassess this wednesday.

Comments:

EboxSteven
Ebox Supervisor
join:2014-08-21

Fixing ordering issues

Hello Mr Dyalry, I want to begin by saying that we are very sorry about the delay on your order. There seems to be some kind of misunderstanding happening which I truly believe we can resolve.

Concerning the installation dates, if you are switching your services from let's say Rogers to us; you have to give us a 15 days time frame in order to get it done correctly. Perhaps there was some miscalculations about what day that would land on when you first ordered and we apologize deeply for that.

About your modem, the reason why it may not be working with the specific plan you've mentioned is because it is not a Docsis 3.0 type modem. The difference between your modem and the Docsis 3.0 types is mainly the speed cap of the modem, considering 30mbps as an ''extreme'' speed cap, you would need a much more powerful modem to receive such speed. However, explaining the issue may or may not resolve the issue; I suggest you communicate with us directly and ask to speak with Steven, a supervisor. It'll be my pleasure to handle your case personally.

Best regards!

Thornhill, ON
·ELECTRONICBOX

3 edits

Re: Fixing ordering issues

Hi Steven, I am not transfering from a company rather setting up Internet for the first time at my new home. Paragraph 2

My modem is the Motorola sb6141 docsis 3.0.
Section #2

Aside from the email in the signature how can I contact you?

EboxSteven
Ebox Supervisor
join:2014-08-21

Re: Fixing ordering issues

Hello again!

You can reach me directly via email at steven@electronicbox.net or you can call at our office and ask for me at 1 877 282 6933.

Truly yours,

Tél. Québec: (418) 948-8246
E-mail: steven@electronicbox.net
DigitalRain

join:2013-03-16
The Motorola SB6141 is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem (as is any cable modem capable of channel bonding) that is capable of using up to 8 downstream channels and 4 upstream channels, just like the DCM 476.

EBox should have no issue providing you with Cable 30 if Rogers is the incumbent where you live and you are using this modem. Cogeco, conversely, does not allow TPIA customers to use Motorola modems on its cable network.

It's the SB6120 and SB6121 that can no longer be used by new TPIA clients by virtue of their only doing up to 4 downstream channels as opposed to 8. Rogers wants DOCSIS 2.0 and 4 channel DOCSIS 3.0 modems off of its network, as they do not use it as efficiently as 8 channel (and higher) modems do.

Review by Rotnam See Profile

Good "Speed as avertised"
Bad "Month pre-paid, 2 months to upgrade package."
Overall "Bad customer experience"

I went for EBOX as they are a local provider (used to be with Tekksavvy DSL, never had any issues but they cable package was not fitting me). Got 250G 30/10 the first month to realize this was not enough, called in June to get a package upgrade. I didn't understood that they apply the package for august when he mentionned it. For me I call in June to get it in July, got a 150$ extra invoice. So anyone considering going with them, if you want to change your package, plan 2 month ahead. They took my money (took me like 25$ off) and told me to move along.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:
nster

join:2013-12-15
H2M

Not 2 months.... ~25 days

It's not 2 months, they ask for a ~25 day notice. It is normal to not change the plan you are in in the middle of your month, otherwise the whole concept of data blocks wouldn't make as much sense

Please also note there is a tool on their website that allows you to check your consumption, you can also see what plan you are on.

Unfortunately it seems you did not do your due diligence, didn't listen properly when they explained that it wasn't going to be in effect next month as there was not proper notice, you didn't bother to check your consumption during the month or check on what plan you were on etc
Rotnam

join:2014-08-20
·ELECTRONICBOX

Re: Not 2 months.... ~25 days

They could have offered to put 4x75GB to reduce the price to 20-30$, 250G on their global usage is nothing for them. It's not normal to take so long to change a package 25 days ? Really you are supposed to know that long in advance that you will use more internet. Im a new customer and they already overcharged me 150$. Welcome welcome ! Which also mean they change 100$ more than Tekksavvy & Dsitributel that cap it at 50$ and Acanac is unlimited. Also their customer services took forever, I had to wait 2 day for a call back to tell me he will check the issue and took another 3 days. I can only assume they are under staffed or have many complains. I sure wouldn't recommend them to anyone. I also suppose you either work for them or have benefit from them, since you are doing group buy and promoting sales.

Review by R0Bzombie See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Great customer service, Service always up and running"
Overall "I'm a very happy customer"

Ordered the service one month before moving to my house, I was on DSL and switched to Ebox cable. The technician was on time the date we agreed on and did a great job. I was online the same day.
I went back and forth with many package changes in 2 years and they've always been comprehensive and did the changes every time even if I was downgrading.

I'm a happy customer since May 2012 and I wish I discovered Ebox sooner.
I referred 2 customers so far and they gave me a rebate of 1$ a month each

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:
nster

join:2013-12-15
H2M

forgot to rate them?

I think you forgot to put in the ratings

Review by Cyber See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Vitesse constante, peu importe l'heure. Réseau fiable et de qualité. Les prix abordables."

Je suis client depuis plus de cinq ans. Je suis actuellement sur le forfait câble 30mbits/10mbits.

La connexion est très stable et il n'y a jamais eu de ralentissement.

Je ne trouve aucun commentaire négatif à formuler contre cette compagnie.

En vous abonnant avec ElectronicBox, vous vous libérez des lettres d'augmentations annuelles de Bell et Vidéotron ainsi que du département de la rétention qui vous harcèle sans limites pour vous faire une offre diabolique pour ne pas vous perdre.

Je recommande cette compagnie à 2000%.

member for 359 days, 20 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Exiled See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Price, speed, reliability, caps, latency"
Bad "Dependency on cable provider's on-site technical assistance"
Overall "Hands down, best ISP available in the Montreal area at an affordable price"

member for 10.9 years, 335 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Robleh See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Awesome price/cap!!"

·TekSavvy Cable
Everything went smoothly, getting advertised speeds. Overall very pleased with the whole turn out, fair pricing, good usage cap .

»www.speedtest.net/result/3585616128.png

Comments:

Review by Hyrules See Profile

• Location: Gatineau,QC
Good "Excellente vitesse et beaucoup de bande passante !"
Bad "none"
Overall "Recommandé a 200% !"

·Videotron
·FreePhoneLine
Amplement de bande passante et la rapidité et la stabilité.

Excellente vitesse et excellent service ! Quoi dire de plus que optez pour Ebox !

UPDATE : après 2 ans et + de services avec electronic box je ne peux toujours pas trouver de points négatifs. Le services est toujours rapide et stable. Les employés sont transparents et ouvert au suggestion des clients et ont peut même discuter avec eux sur ce forum. Le service à la clientèle réponds dans un délai raisonnable souvent rapidement.

member for 8.1 years, 1489 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Heatherocks See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Install was great and it is so much better than our previous bell internet"
Bad "Nothing"

We are receiving the 500mb per month package DSL for $48/month. Our speed is 15 mb per second. We are an average family 'cutting the cord' with television and major telecom internet. So far, ebox has surpassed our expectations. We can easily stream from 3 devices and still play on phones/tablets all accessing the same internet at the same time! All of this was impossible with our bell 2 wire modem. I signed onto this site to add my 2 cents for this small but growing company. I believe they will receive many new customers in the GTA area once I spread the good word.

Comments:

Review by Plotinus See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Product, service, price, attitude"
Bad "Nothing really"
Overall "Excellent"

Just completed three years. Basic cable Internet plus phone (voice message box, call display). Excellent product, service, price, and attitude. Left Bell after decades because all three of these had become poorer and poorer over the last 15 years. Initial instalation delays were caused by Videotron, their supllier in my neighborhood.

Cost: $48.90 plus tax (Quebec) = $56.23 (August, 2014)

There was a $3.00 increase a couple of months ago (after nearly three years). Unlike Bell, I was informed of this increase two months in advance.

Of interest to some: immediate, friendly service in English. I live in Parc Extension, Montreal.

Comments:
iamhere

join:2013-01-26
canada

No ratings?

Based on your review, you like them but you didn't assign any ratings... perhaps you should do that?