ELECTRONICBOX page on DSLReports

Review by mikedepo See Profile

Good "Quick install"
Bad "Unstable speed and connection"

I suscribed to their services this week. I'm waiting for the installation. I hope it is not going to be 3 weeks. I read many good comments and that's why I choose them. The only point that made me hesitate was the delay of the installation.

I will update my review once installed.

UPDATE:
My internet has been installed in... 5 days, which is pretty good.

The plan I subscribed to is 15mbit/10mbit --> 500GB BW for 51$/Month

I made a few speed test and the upload speed is 10mbit as expected.
As for the download speed, it looks like its capped around 9.8mbit, I don't think that it is due to the signal quality because the technician told it was excellent and the upload is better than the download. I'll call them this week to verify if they can change it (I'll update here after).

UPDATE 17 Nov: It's been now a few days I'm using it. I would say it's not bad but really unstable. I just made a speedtest after having been disconnected during a nhl play and the result was 5.4Mbs/7.5Mbs »www.speedtest.net/result/3917552882.png

Location: Rue Hadley, Montreal.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:

Review by gaganji See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Ease, price, support."
Bad "Give yourself a lot of extra time to setup/transfer. Connection issues cropping."
Overall "Don't think there's anyone better at the moment."

Hands down, I don't think there's anyone better that I know at the moment.
There customer support is very personal, no other company does that out there.

UPDATE (2014-11-09):
Seem to be having connection issues, cut lines and recently, lots of packet loss and low uploads - leading to lagging web pages.
My ping test for your curiosity: »/testhistory/1326660/56bf1

Comments:

Review by vitesse See Profile

• Location: Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu,QC
Good "Great price, good service, incredible speed"
Bad "still have to find one"
Overall "The highest quality cable ISP in quebec"

·Bell Sympatico
·Videotron
The price is unbeatable, for where I live (Quebec, Canada)

The technical support is great and they have a presence here at DSLR

The installation has been sooner than expected.

The speed is really what they advertise (60mbps / 3mbps) Far from the UP TO from the outdated Bell Network.

I had an independent installator who's is Videotron affiliated. The work has been professional and everything was great. I have nothing bad to say about him.

I have buy a DCM475 and gone to the ISP Office to get it. something I maid for the last time in 1994

They only offer 250gb options with the 60mbps. You can buy up to 4 bloc of 75gb for 5$ each.

This is an upgrade from my Teksavvy connection. Hope they won't become Teksavvy 2.0

Edit: September 2012
So far they are fairly reliable. They had some slowdown on the evening this summer, but they always worked hard to do appropriate correction. I would recommend them to anyone.

Edit: December 2012
I since installed them to many friends and relative. They are still reliable with only few drop in speed from time to time, nothing to worries about. I use them at two Commercial building and its a smooth ride. They are still focused on customer satisfaction. I still Highly recommend them to anyone.

Edit: February 2013
The upload speed have been upgraded to 10mbps. The upload on Cable is now 2.4x faster than download on DSL network and 15x faster than the DSL upload speed.

Edit October 2013
The connection has been rock solid since February with an average of 64mbps of download and 10.5mbps of upload.

Edit: April 2014
The connection is still rock solid, I sometime get 70mbps of download speed and always between 9.5 and 10.5mbps of upload speed.

Edit: Nov 2014
They now offert unlimited upload and o9ff peak unlimited download for only 5$. Their service is still rock solid.

member for 11.9 years, 2047 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

golb

@teksavvy.com

300 Mb or average

Yes, my only concern with EB is 250 G cap. If they rasise it to 300-350 or average 2-3 months, then it would be great, and I jump in right away.

vitesse

join:2002-12-17
Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu, QC

Re: 300 Mb or average

The customer service is 100 times better than TSI. this ain't comparable.

eboxdanny
Superviseur
join:2013-08-12
Longueuil, QC

To vitesse

Good day,
Thank you for sharing your past experience with our company. Your comments are greatly appreciated.
Regards,

Review by jaysona See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Quick sign-up process, smooth install, decent customer service phone rep."
Bad "Do not offer 15/10 VDSL2 so I had to take the more expensive 25/10 service."
Overall "So far, so good - no complaints."

·TekSavvy DSL
After close to 10 years with Teksavvy I have begun the transition to a new provider.

So far, no complaints with Electronicbox and only a minor issue with billing, I do not recall being told I would be charged a $15 fee for modem configuration and shipment - but I'm not complaining either - I understand the need for the charge.

The SmartRG SR505N was configured in routed mode and it took a little more work than expected to get it configured in bridge mode.

The Bell tech visit lasted all of 5 minutes, since I already had the modem powered on and connected to the phone line. DSL sync was already active, Bell tech just updated the speed profile and left.

Ping times are great compared to Teksavvy and speed is exactly as advertised 25/10. (happy dance)

It would be a good idea as part of the sign up process to ask the customer which mode they would like to modem configured - especially those customers ordering additional IP addresses, there's a good chance anyone order 8 or more IPs will be using the modem in bridge mode.

Only time will tell if I stay, I expect to have both services for at least the next four months as I perform the bake-off between the two providers.

Comments:

Review by live5 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Good price, cable reliability and speed, excellent customer service"
Overall "The best alternative I could find to get the reliability and speed of Videotron at an affordable price"

I was searching for an ISP that could provide me with the reliability of the cable network. Past experiences with DSL included slowdowns and down periods. Afterward I had a great experience with Videotron in terms of reliability (no downtime, constant speed) but $50 for an internet connection was kind of expensive when DSL was around $30. After doing some research, ElectronicBox seemed to provide great service and support.

The first thing that surprised me when I called them was that someone answered the phone right away. The CS was nice and friendly and took her time to explain everything to me and answer my questions. I called again 2 days after to subscribe and the process went well.

I had to have a technician set up the modem, something I didn't have to do with my DSL. My only complain is that I couldn't schedule a precise date and timeframe: I had to give a timeframe and Videotron would call me back to confirm a date they chose. I can't really blame ElectronicBox for this one since it's Videotron who do the installation. They were still very helpful when I called to see when the installation was schedule. Videotron also calls once the day before the installation and an hour or so before the technician arrives. Installation went well and the connection worked right away.

Overall the speed is as advertised (or a bit higher!) and the connection seems reliable like when I was with Videotron. Everytime I called, someone answered right away in a friendly and professional manner. I haven't had any problem with them. Highly recommended, you can't go wrong with them!

Comments:

Review by mugurd See Profile

• Location: Ottawa, ON
Good "Seamless transition from Start (36hrs) despite what others have reported"
Bad "Occasional speed drops at peak times, but not chronic"
Overall "Best offer out there for cable in SE Ontario, decent speed consistency"

I've been with Ebox for 3 months now and save for 2 Rogers outages (when I really had a hard time getting through to Ebox support) everything seems OK. Almost as good as Start and miles ahead of CikTel (see my other reviews).
I do appreciate their presence on DSL forums and pretty timely responses and explanations - kudos for that and I hope their fast growth won't impact the quality of services.
I could be biased because I'm one of the (apparently) few ones that went through a TPIA to TPIA move and was down for only 36hrs - while I kept my modem and all.
Part of the high satisfaction factor is the 6months promo -30$ for 30megs (1TB cap)

Not too thrilled with all the chatter about "Off-Peak" and extra charge for it - we'll see what trickles down when they start applying it to the Ontario market.

Will update the review periodically as I always think that there is an initial impression and then what matters is the long term experience.

member for 13.5 years, 510 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by RickPlateau See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Smooth as butter"
Bad "A bit long to install"
Overall "So far so good."

Traumatized by bell, I ordered on Oct 1, they said it would take 10 days. 8 days out, I get a call that guy is comming from 0730 - 1230 on the 15th.

On the 15th, @0930 Ding dong! Polite competant videotron guy arrives, runs wires through place, tests for signal all good. Warns it might be 3hrs more before activation, but I plugged in the modem (rented from Ebox) and voila -- linked right away. Run test on speedtest.net, 10/1.5 as described.

Went MUCH smoother than I thought it would. Got what I paid for. Let's see how their billing and caps work out, but so far so good. And a HUGE releaf from B(Hell). It scares me when things go well.:)

Comments:

EboxSteven
Ebox Supervisor
join:2014-08-21

Concerning your review

We are more than happy to see that things went well for you! I understand you may have had problems with some other providers but fear not; it's only normal when things go well with us! Any problem will be solved and we offer great after-sale support on many different levels! Thank you for taking your time to share with us!

mugurd

join:2001-05-24
Ottawa, ON

...and only 75%?

Looks to me you're pretty happy, why the 75% score?

Review by nster See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Problem-free internet, billing etc. Super Off-Peak"
Bad "I didn't discover them earlier"
Overall "You won't regret the switch"

15/10 125GB with Super Off-Peak. Transfer from Videotron was seemless. Been with them for almost a year now.

Group buy saved me an additional 10$ from Modem and 2$ EVERY MONTH. My 37$ plan became 35$. And then, every referral you do saves you 1$ FOR LIFE even if the person quits later on. I'm now trying the Super Off-Peak option, half the day of unlimited while I'm not in front of the computer is awesome for downloads, and unlimited upload is awesome for backups.

Customer service is top notch, no more begging Videotron to renew my rebates... My main motivation was that I didn't want my parents to get ripped off by Videotron and Bell with their shady tactics at times. Perhaps the thing that makes me want to stay with EBOX is their transparency and honesty though.

If you want to save 2$ like me, PM me your e-mail address and I'll find you a group

member for 345 days, 416 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by blakenet See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "pas cher, stable, rapide"
Bad "le systeme de vidéoétron est vraiment pourri"
Overall "EBOX IS THE BEST"

prix EXCELLENT
service EXCELLENT
installation... ok coté ebox, pourri du coté de videotron
bref tout ce qui vient de Ebox est parfait

Comments:

Review by jejeclav See Profile

• Location: Beloeil,QC
Good "In progress"
Bad "A chaotic beginning! "
Overall "Hopefully things will get better now that installation is done (45 days)"

Aug 16 : I ordered their Cable service (Extreme 20) as transfer from Videotron

I was emailed that it would take 3 to 7 days to get an appointment (it is also indicated on their website).

During the order process, I had indicated that I needed installation during weekend (they give you time slots to choose)

First phone call for an appointment : 12 September (that is to say nearly a month after I pass the order!)- they give me an appointment during the week. OK...let us fix another apointment. They call me back

Second call : 15 September. They AGAIN give me an apointment for the week

Third call : 19 September: Appointment given at last for Saturday 9-28

Saturday 9-28. The technician comes. He says he works principally for Videotron. After 10 minutes he leaves my home, saying: you should have internet in 3 minutes (why can't he check it????). After 3 hours, no internet. I call the service department. After waiting for approx 1 hour, someone calls me. He says that he cannot do anything because the service is closed (it is Saturday, 1 pm),but I should call back tomorrow.

I call again the next day (Sunday), wait again a long time on the phone, and now I am told that they cannot do anything, but that I should check whether the service is working in 2 more days.