ELECTRONICBOX page on DSLReports

Review by Dyalry See Profile

• Location: Thornhill,ON
Good "Price, Customer Service, Excellent speeds during peak times, good as advertised."
Bad "Set up can take a while however I'm sure this is due to Rogers more than anything else"
Overall "Great Price, consistent speeds, BYOM, great customer service and management who cares. only draw back, set up can take a while."

My experience with this company so far is becoming a nightmare...
Brand new install for my new home in area that is serviced bell, rogers, Tek Saavy & Ebox (Bayview & Steeles)...
1) Group set up aug 11. Indicated that I would buy the Thompson DCM476 from them
2) Call Ebox the following day of Aug 13 2014 to cancel my initial thompson modem order through them and let them know that I will be bringing my own modem motorola SB 6141 7 1.0.6.12 (Brand spanking new). Agent sends me email the following list of compatible modems and requests that I take a photo of my Modem's Serial Number and MAC address
Manufacturer Model Firmware Version
Technicolor DCM475 1.1 STAC.02.16
Technicolor DCM476 2 AC.02.50
Technicolor DCM476 2.1 AC.02.50
Technicolor DCW775 1.1 STB.01.51
3) I send email with picture of my SN & MAC of my modem later on the same date after coming home from work (aug 13 2014).
4) August 14 I call back and speak to a rep and book installation window for August 23, 24, 25
5) August 15 Ebox sends me the bill for first payment (which is due at a later time)
6) Anxiously my family and I await a week for a phone call to confirm my installation for this weekend.
7) no phone call all week so I call them today, who inform me that my installation this weekend is not gonna happen. Apparently the rep i spoke to on the 14th didn't give rogers enough time and yet no one called me to let me know that my installation wasn't going to work out.
8) I then ask them when the next available window is...the agent in turn asks me when I"m available...to which I reply, "any time" (I'm desperate and will use a sick day from work to get this done now)
9) Proceeds to book me as "early as possible status" which could potentially be this monday or tuesday...however no guarantee until I receive a call from the installation technician.
10) Then goes on to tell me that if I were to book September 2 or beyond that set up would be a lock
11) I then ask if anything else earlier is available (this week) to which he says no and points out that if I wanted the week of 25th - 29th I should of placed my order on the 16th - See #7
12) Ultimately I thank him for the great service (agent was great, situation sucked) and disconnected the phone.
13) 2 mins later I call EBOX again to confirm the details for my own peace of mind - I used to do this with Rogers back in the day...
14) Agent confirms the details and we end conversation and I hang up.
15) A few minutes later I receive a call from another representative from Ebox then calls me and now informs me that the Brand spanking new Motorola SB 6141 7 1.0.6.12 (i bought from Newegg) is not compatable with the 30/5 deal. Confused I then ask which types would work with this deal and he replies ONLY the DCM476. - See #2
16) Confused, I then inform the agent that I will call back and provide my response at a later time.

This is got to be the worst install experience I have ever had hands down. I want to move to Tek Savvy so bad but if I cancel now, will that screw over the other members of the group? And is the SB6141 compatible with this deal or not (am I out $100 bucks)? Would truly love to give this company a glowing review because their customer service agents seem genuinely interested in helping...will reassess this wednesday

...to be continued...

17) Monday contact Steven via email who assists in getting my internet set up.
18) Tuesday, I receive a confirmation email for a Sunday install date. Receive a phone call from another good Ebox CSR to confirm details and also through email correspondence.
19) Sunday a Roger's technician comes and installs internet.
20) Talk to the Roger's technician for a while and find out that he receives a $50.00 credit towards his internet bill if he chooses rogers but actually subscribes to Electronic Box aswell (25/2 package).
21) End of installation

Dear Ebox, thanks for working with me to get this installation completed. Even though the installation was slower than expected the consistently excellent service your customer service agents and management provided proved to be the difference. They acknowledged the problem, found an agreeable solution and always followed up. Since my install, I have even spoken openly of my positive experience with your customer reps at my office and directed several of my colleagues to your website. Thanks again E-box.

Comments:

EboxSteven

Fixing ordering issues

Hello Mr Dyalry, I want to begin by saying that we are very sorry about the delay on your order. There seems to be some kind of misunderstanding happening which I truly believe we can resolve.

Concerning the installation dates, if you are switching your services from let's say Rogers to us; you have to give us a 15 days time frame in order to get it done correctly. Perhaps there was some miscalculations about what day that would land on when you first ordered and we apologize deeply for that.

About your modem, the reason why it may not be working with the specific plan you've mentioned is because it is not a Docsis 3.0 type modem. The difference between your modem and the Docsis 3.0 types is mainly the speed cap of the modem, considering 30mbps as an ''extreme'' speed cap, you would need a much more powerful modem to receive such speed. However, explaining the issue may or may not resolve the issue; I suggest you communicate with us directly and ask to speak with Steven, a supervisor. It'll be my pleasure to handle your case personally.

Best regards!

Thornhill, ON
·ELECTRONICBOX

3 edits

Re: Fixing ordering issues

Hi Steven, I am not transfering from a company rather setting up Internet for the first time at my new home. Paragraph 2

My modem is the Motorola sb6141 docsis 3.0.
Section #2

Aside from the email in the signature how can I contact you?

Re: Fixing ordering issues

Hello again!

You can reach me directly via email at steven@electronicbox.net or you can call at our office and ask for me at 1 877 282 6933.

Truly yours,

Tél. Québec: (418) 948-8246
E-mail: steven@electronicbox.net
DigitalRain

join:2013-03-16
The Motorola SB6141 is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem (as is any cable modem capable of channel bonding) that is capable of using up to 8 downstream channels and 4 upstream channels, just like the DCM 476.

EBox should have no issue providing you with Cable 30 if Rogers is the incumbent where you live and you are using this modem. Cogeco, conversely, does not allow TPIA customers to use Motorola modems on its cable network.

It's the SB6120 and SB6121 that can no longer be used by new TPIA clients by virtue of their only doing up to 4 downstream channels as opposed to 8. Rogers wants DOCSIS 2.0 and 4 channel DOCSIS 3.0 modems off of its network, as they do not use it as efficiently as 8 channel (and higher) modems do.

Review by EyEvil See Profile

• Location: Longueuil,QC
Good "Fiable en tout temps"
Bad "Rien signaler pour le moment (1 mois et demi aprs l'installation)"
Overall "En utilisant la structure de la compagnie cble je ne verrais pas pourquoi ce serait moins fiable"

Durant l'appel tout était clair sauf que ce n'est pas mentionné du tout sur le site web que le seul mode de paiement accepté est via la carte de crédit. Pour moi ce n'est pas un problème, mais juste de le mentionner et comment ça fonctionne sur la facturation sera un plus pour les futurs clients. On m'avait bien dit que ça prendrait entre 1 à 2 semaines et que ce n'était pas de leur contrôle même si aucun technicien n'avait besoin de se présenter. J'avais seulement le service internet avant donc débrancher le modem était simple pour moi. J'ai l'habitude de me connecter chez moi via vpn, remote desktop et autres façons. Un certain 28 juillet je ne pouvais plus accéder à mon réseau chez moi de quelconque façon, donc pour moi ça voulait dire que mon ancien ISP avait reçu la commande et que j'allais probablement recevoir un appel pour me dire que je peux brancher le nouveau modem. Ce qui fut le cas car dans les 2 heures qui ont suivi la coupure j'ai reçu un appel pour m'indiquer que le changement avait eu lieu et que je pouvais brancher mon modem acheté de Ebox. Une fois branché en moins de 5 minutes j'avais mon accès et ma nouvelle adresse IP.

Pour revenir sur ce que j'avais mentionné plus tôt il n'a pas été mentionné que la facturation et la période de référence pour le calcul de la consommation se faisait du 1er au dernier jour du mois inclusivement. Ça ne demeure pas un problème comme tel sauf que j'ai reçu une mini facture pour les 4 jours (28 au 31 juillet) du mois précédent. J'aime mieux avoir eu l'accès pour ces jours que d'avoir été déconnecté, donc j'accepte volontier la décision d'Ebox d'avoir fait ça de cette manière. C'est surtout pour informer les futurs clients potentiels.

Côté fiabilité je n'ai rien à dire pour le moment, je n'ai jamais eu de coupure ou de ralentissement. En tant que tech informatique de métier j'avais l'habitude durant le premier mois de faire des tests intensifs de vitesses à tout moment de la journée et j'avais une petite crainte de ralentissement durant le peak hour ce qui n'a pas été le cas du tout.

Le prix que je paye est que je voulais que ce soit rapide 30mbps et 500GB cap mensuel et en plus le Super Off-Peak, je verrai à la longue si je dois ajuster mes besoins.

Le seul regret que j'ai c'est de ne pas avoir fait le move il y a plus de 5 ans.

member for 128 days, 223 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by edugas See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "The physical installation done by Videotron, advertised speed, price"
Bad "Nothing so far"
Overall "The process between pre-sales and install co-ordination could be better but bottom line, things went smoothly."

·Telebec
I ordered the 30/3 package on Dec 7th, late evening. Picked up the modem Dec 10th at their offices in Longueuil. Waited a couple days and nothing. Had to ping Natasha on DSLR (eboxnat) and email sales Dec 17th to get the visit scheduled for Dec 20th evening but had to re-schedule at the last minute. Got the Dec 29th as the new date because of the holidays.

Tech came the 29th within the scheduled time frame, he had to replace the exterior cable drop to the building, interior was already done. The exterior work took around 45 minutes (lot of snow). The tech verified signals and we connected the Thomson DCM475 and he left. It took only around 30 minutes before I was able to use it (I was warned that it could take up to 3 hours).

2013-03
So far so good, constant speed, no drops.

2014-02
Still happy, upload was upgraded to 10Mbps for free.

Comments:

eboxdanny
Superviseur
join:2013-08-12
Longueuil, QC

To Edugas

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here on DSL reports. Unfortunately eboxnat is no longer with our company but if ever you require any assistance, eboxsidney and I are available to assist you.
Regards,

Review by mikedepo See Profile

Good "Quick install"
Bad "Unstable speed and connection"

I suscribed to their services this week. I'm waiting for the installation. I hope it is not going to be 3 weeks. I read many good comments and that's why I choose them. The only point that made me hesitate was the delay of the installation.

I will update my review once installed.

UPDATE:
My internet has been installed in... 5 days, which is pretty good.

The plan I subscribed to is 15mbit/10mbit --> 500GB BW for 51$/Month

I made a few speed test and the upload speed is 10mbit as expected.
As for the download speed, it looks like its capped around 9.8mbit, I don't think that it is due to the signal quality because the technician told it was excellent and the upload is better than the download. I'll call them this week to verify if they can change it (I'll update here after).

UPDATE 17 Nov: It's been now a few days I'm using it. I would say it's not bad but really unstable. I just made a speedtest after having been disconnected during a nhl play and the result was 5.4Mbs/7.5Mbs »www.speedtest.net/result/3917552882.png

Location: Rue Hadley, Montreal.

Comments:

BeterDealsII

@70.27.7.x

Download Speeds Seem to Vary

Based on the 15/10 specs, I am assuming you are using FTTN 15 product which is Fiber & ADSL2. I get the same results to. Upload is always as specified but download can go down.

It is always hard to determine why. Did you turn off all other devices that use the Internet connection? Did you connect your computer directly to one of the ports on your ADSL2 Modem (Sagemcom I am guessing)? Did you close as many applications on your computer or reboot and wait ten minutes for the system to settle down? Is your computer fast enough to run the speedtest.net Java application? If you have a computer not more than 3 years old, it will likely do the job well.

If you did all of the above, then you probably got a good reading of Electronic Box's service. If not, take the time to do the above (other than buying a new computer that is). You will then know with high certainty what your real speed is.

I have done the above and I have a 25/10 plan. I sometimes get 18 down but I always get 10 up. Similar experience to you. 15/10 is a top speed between the data center and you. It is not a guaranteed speed. It looks like you did the test during peek Internet usage time which is the evening. This is when people watch streaming video like NetFlix, Hulu, Amazon, HBO Go, .... All of that high bandwidth streaming will degrade everyone's download speed. Expect to have your worst performance during this time.

sppedtest.net is not the best test since it usually test only your connection speed to the ISP's data center. The real test is how good the ISP is connected to the rest of the world. Go to »speakeasy.net/speedtest/. Try New York, Chicago, LA and see what performance you get. What is important is to know how good Electronic Box compares to others. That is the real measure. I wish there were a location to get this info for free.

I am quite satisfied with Electronic Box's performance. I run my business using it and my wife works from home as well. I never have problems watching HBO Go (that's right American HBO in Canada) or Netflix (also the American version) or YouTube in HD. My kids play Minecraft and Club Penguin and they never have trouble. I listen to 80's music from Amsterdam. I backup my computer using their free 2 AM to 2 PM window. Never a problem. Never an overage.

Don't forget they also give you a much better data transfer cap than Rogers or Bell unless you buy their Triple Play package plus pay $10 more to get the unlimited data transfer (that's $175 per month - Yikes!). I used to be a Rogers' customer and I have absolutely no regrets. I often blew the data cap and paid a lot in penalties to Rogers. Why? They only gave me 80 GB per month and charged $2/GB overage. All at the wonderful price of $65 per month plus overages. Wonderful for them that is.

Don't fret. Even at the worst performance you recorded of 5 Mbits per second, it is still enough to watch streaming HDTV, talk on a VoIP phone, browse the web and listen to streaming radio all at the same time.

You also got relatively speedy service at only 5 days. It took over a week for my service to be installed. I still had a smile on my face because I knew the deal. They are forced to rely on their competitor to install service.
nster

join:2013-12-15
H2M

Re: Download Speeds Seem to Vary

Actually he has 15/10 QUEBEC CABLE

His speeds are definitively not normal, contact support

Review by gaganji See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Ease, price, support."
Bad "Give yourself a lot of extra time to setup/transfer. Connection issues cropping."
Overall "Don't think there's anyone better at the moment."

Hands down, I don't think there's anyone better that I know at the moment.
There customer support is very personal, no other company does that out there.

UPDATE (2014-11-09):
Seem to be having connection issues, cut lines and recently, lots of packet loss and low uploads - leading to lagging web pages.
My ping test for your curiosity: »/testhistory/1326660/56bf1

Comments:

Review by vitesse See Profile

• Location: Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu,QC
Good "Great price, good service, incredible speed"
Bad "still have to find one"
Overall "The highest quality cable ISP in quebec"

·Bell Sympatico
·Videotron
The price is unbeatable, for where I live (Quebec, Canada)

The technical support is great and they have a presence here at DSLR

The installation has been sooner than expected.

The speed is really what they advertise (60mbps / 3mbps) Far from the UP TO from the outdated Bell Network.

I had an independent installator who's is Videotron affiliated. The work has been professional and everything was great. I have nothing bad to say about him.

I have buy a DCM475 and gone to the ISP Office to get it. something I maid for the last time in 1994

They only offer 250gb options with the 60mbps. You can buy up to 4 bloc of 75gb for 5$ each.

This is an upgrade from my Teksavvy connection. Hope they won't become Teksavvy 2.0

Edit: September 2012
So far they are fairly reliable. They had some slowdown on the evening this summer, but they always worked hard to do appropriate correction. I would recommend them to anyone.

Edit: December 2012
I since installed them to many friends and relative. They are still reliable with only few drop in speed from time to time, nothing to worries about. I use them at two Commercial building and its a smooth ride. They are still focused on customer satisfaction. I still Highly recommend them to anyone.

Edit: February 2013
The upload speed have been upgraded to 10mbps. The upload on Cable is now 2.4x faster than download on DSL network and 15x faster than the DSL upload speed.

Edit October 2013
The connection has been rock solid since February with an average of 64mbps of download and 10.5mbps of upload.

Edit: April 2014
The connection is still rock solid, I sometime get 70mbps of download speed and always between 9.5 and 10.5mbps of upload speed.

Edit: Nov 2014
They now offert unlimited upload and o9ff peak unlimited download for only 5$. Their service is still rock solid.

member for 12 years, 2072 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

eboxdanny
Superviseur
join:2013-08-12
Longueuil, QC

To vitesse

Good day,
Thank you for sharing your past experience with our company. Your comments are greatly appreciated.
Regards,

Review by jaysona See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Quick sign-up process, smooth install, decent customer service phone rep."
Bad "Do not offer 15/10 VDSL2 so I had to take the more expensive 25/10 service."
Overall "So far, so good - no complaints."

·TekSavvy DSL
After close to 10 years with Teksavvy I have begun the transition to a new provider.

So far, no complaints with Electronicbox and only a minor issue with billing, I do not recall being told I would be charged a $15 fee for modem configuration and shipment - but I'm not complaining either - I understand the need for the charge.

The SmartRG SR505N was configured in routed mode and it took a little more work than expected to get it configured in bridge mode.

The Bell tech visit lasted all of 5 minutes, since I already had the modem powered on and connected to the phone line. DSL sync was already active, Bell tech just updated the speed profile and left.

Ping times are great compared to Teksavvy and speed is exactly as advertised 25/10. (happy dance)

It would be a good idea as part of the sign up process to ask the customer which mode they would like to modem configured - especially those customers ordering additional IP addresses, there's a good chance anyone order 8 or more IPs will be using the modem in bridge mode.

Only time will tell if I stay, I expect to have both services for at least the next four months as I perform the bake-off between the two providers.

Comments:

Review by live5 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Good price, cable reliability and speed, excellent customer service"
Overall "The best alternative I could find to get the reliability and speed of Videotron at an affordable price"

I was searching for an ISP that could provide me with the reliability of the cable network. Past experiences with DSL included slowdowns and down periods. Afterward I had a great experience with Videotron in terms of reliability (no downtime, constant speed) but $50 for an internet connection was kind of expensive when DSL was around $30. After doing some research, ElectronicBox seemed to provide great service and support.

The first thing that surprised me when I called them was that someone answered the phone right away. The CS was nice and friendly and took her time to explain everything to me and answer my questions. I called again 2 days after to subscribe and the process went well.

I had to have a technician set up the modem, something I didn't have to do with my DSL. My only complain is that I couldn't schedule a precise date and timeframe: I had to give a timeframe and Videotron would call me back to confirm a date they chose. I can't really blame ElectronicBox for this one since it's Videotron who do the installation. They were still very helpful when I called to see when the installation was schedule. Videotron also calls once the day before the installation and an hour or so before the technician arrives. Installation went well and the connection worked right away.

Overall the speed is as advertised (or a bit higher!) and the connection seems reliable like when I was with Videotron. Everytime I called, someone answered right away in a friendly and professional manner. I haven't had any problem with them. Highly recommended, you can't go wrong with them!

Comments:

Review by mugurd See Profile

• Location: Ottawa, ON
Good "Seamless transition from Start (36hrs) despite what others have reported"
Bad "Occasional speed drops at peak times, but not chronic"
Overall "Best offer out there for cable in SE Ontario, decent speed consistency"

I've been with Ebox for 3 months now and save for 2 Rogers outages (when I really had a hard time getting through to Ebox support) everything seems OK. Almost as good as Start and miles ahead of CikTel (see my other reviews).
I do appreciate their presence on DSL forums and pretty timely responses and explanations - kudos for that and I hope their fast growth won't impact the quality of services.
I could be biased because I'm one of the (apparently) few ones that went through a TPIA to TPIA move and was down for only 36hrs - while I kept my modem and all.
Part of the high satisfaction factor is the 6months promo -30$ for 30megs (1TB cap)

Not too thrilled with all the chatter about "Off-Peak" and extra charge for it - we'll see what trickles down when they start applying it to the Ontario market.

Will update the review periodically as I always think that there is an initial impression and then what matters is the long term experience.

Comments:

Review by RickPlateau See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Smooth as butter"
Bad "A bit long to install"
Overall "So far so good."

Traumatized by bell, I ordered on Oct 1, they said it would take 10 days. 8 days out, I get a call that guy is comming from 0730 - 1230 on the 15th.

On the 15th, @0930 Ding dong! Polite competant videotron guy arrives, runs wires through place, tests for signal all good. Warns it might be 3hrs more before activation, but I plugged in the modem (rented from Ebox) and voila -- linked right away. Run test on speedtest.net, 10/1.5 as described.

Went MUCH smoother than I thought it would. Got what I paid for. Let's see how their billing and caps work out, but so far so good. And a HUGE releaf from B(Hell). It scares me when things go well.:)

Comments:

EboxSteven

Concerning your review

We are more than happy to see that things went well for you! I understand you may have had problems with some other providers but fear not; it's only normal when things go well with us! Any problem will be solved and we offer great after-sale support on many different levels! Thank you for taking your time to share with us!

mugurd

join:2001-05-24
Ottawa, ON

...and only 75%?

Looks to me you're pretty happy, why the 75% score?