Armstrong Zoom Internet page on DSLReports

Review by comp See Profile

• Location: Evans City,Butler,PA
Good "Ok Speed. "
Bad "CAPS!!! EXPENSIVE"
Overall "I get faster speed for less with LTE on my phone"

·DIRECTV

Packages for speed are very expensive.. Now they are capping your service also.. I hope people use DSL options even if they suck to stick it to armstrong. maybe they will listen

member for 13.6 years, 5660 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

zach2035

@zoominternet.net

They are following in the steps off all the rest of these greedy companies.

I know tech's that work for them, who have told me that it is all to make money. Their network never goes over 25% capacity during heavy usage times. So this B.S. about congestion is invalid. They are trying to hurt people who are using Netflix to stream instead of watching cable television.
zach2035

join:2015-03-13

Bandwidth caps possibly violates new open internet rules from fcc.

4. Reasonable Network Management

214. The 2014 Open Internet NPRM proposed to retain a reasonable network management exception to the conduct-based open Internet rules,553 following the approach adopted in the 2010 Open Internet Orderthat permitted exceptions for “reasonable network management” practices to the noblocking and no unreasonable discrimination rules.554 The 2014 Open Internet NPRMalso tentatively concluded that the Commission should retain the definition of reasonable network management adopted as part of the 2010 rules that “[a] network management practice is reasonable if it is appropriate and tailored to achieving a legitimate network management purpose, taking into account the particular network architecture and technology of the broadband Internet access service.”

215. The record broadly supports maintaining an exception for reasonable network management.556 We agree that a network management exception to the no-blocking rule, the no-throttling rule, and the no-unreasonable interference/disadvantage standard is necessary for broadband providers to optimize overall network performance and maintain a consistent quality experience for consumers while carrying a variety of traffic over their networks.557 Therefore, the no-blocking rule, the no-throttling rule, and the no-unreasonable interference/disadvantage standard will be subject to reasonable network management for both fixed and mobile providers of broadband Internet access service. In addition to retaining the exception, we retain the definition of reasonable network management with slight modifications:

A network management practice is a practice that has a primarily technical network management justification, but does not include other business practices. A network management practice is reasonable if it is primarily used for and tailored to achieving a legitimate network management purpose, taking into account the particular network architecture and technology of the broadband Internet access service.

216. For a practice to even be considered under this exception, a broadband Internet access service provider must first show that the practice is primarily motivated by a technical network management justification rather than other business justifications. If a practice is primarily motivated by such an other justification, such as a practice that permits different levels of network access for similarly situated users based solely on the particular plan to which the user has subscribed,then that practice will not be considered under this exception.
"

Armstrong determines your bandwidth cap by whether you bundle with other services or not. If you have television, telephone, and internet you get 300gb; Television or telephone along with internet then 250gb. If just internet then its 200gb. This violates this rule easily by falling under other business justifications and particular plan the consumer is subscribed. Armstrong justifies their caps as being "means to regulate congestion and high usage being a costly burden to the network." This means they are pushing forward a interference/disadvantage standard to customers not subscribing to other services.

As I stated above Armstrong doesn't go over 25% capacity even under high congestion. They receive their backbone to the internet from 3 separate peering partners which do not charge for bandwidth usage. All of which are tier 1 provides and provide Armstrong, a tier 3 provider, with access to the rest of the network.

YankeeBelle

@wellautomation.com

Armstrong price gouging for interent service

I just filed a complaint with the FCC and more folks need to do the same thing. I went from $44.99 a month to $154 for ONE month of just internet service. How does one family who goes to school during the day and work 40+hrs a week use 750GB in one month? The internet is only used for 3-6hrs a day and not even used everyday.

Review by dslwanter See Profile

• Location: Mineral Ridge,Trumbull,OH
Good "Fast, reliable, great customer service"
Bad "A little pricey, usage cap"
Overall "I don't have to think about or troubleshoot my service"

***UPDATE 2/14/15***

Reviving this review due to move to Armstrong territory last summer. There's not much to review, consistent speeds 15mbps/2mbps. Have had service for about a year and a half at this address. Motorola Surfboard SB5101 provided with service, no issues at all with this modem. A little pricey $44.95/month for 15mbps, but when you have a monopoly with little competition it's justifiable. AT&T does not offer U-Verse here, so it's $35 for 6mbps ADSL service or spend $10 more and get reliability and more than double the speed.

Could care less for the usage cap, thankfully I haven't come close but Armstrong is just jumping on board with the bigger companies.

Had to call service earlier in the year due to modem losing connection, but that was due to a corroded incoming line. That was replaced and all has been well ever since. Service is quick to respond, hold times are minimal, technician was here in a few days.

I don't have to think too much about it, it's fast and reliable.

Attached pictures are from my parents address when Armstrong ran fiber in their township in 2009, in this township it is standard FTTN but service is just as good. It is the same system, just an older build out. Same channel line ups, service offerings, etc.

***UPDATE: 11/14/09***

Well I said I would update this past summer during my spring review but...there is simply nothing to review. It is by far the best possible service in this entire area. This township went from no broadband to the best in the entire area. My speeds are constant, I'm on the 5000k/500k (Zoom 500) package and my speed tests are consistently around 5000kbps and 500kbps.

I haven't experienced a single outage since my last review either, in fact, I don't think the modem has been power cycled nor has my IP address changed.

I've been hearing rumors of a speed increase towards the end of the year, so we'll see what happens over the next month. If they do so, I'll review to reflect those new speeds.

Cheers to your Armstrong and thank you for seeing the potential in Coitsville Township!

***UPDATE: 3/24/09***

Well, there's really not much to say other than…it works! Speeds remain constant between 4500kbps-5000kbps on the downstream and 400kbps-500kbps on the upstream. I run my internet radio station with no interruptions related to my internet connection at all...period. The modem has only been off once and that was when we lost power for about 12 hours due to a wind storm back in September, the weekend I got service, and finally after about 8 hours the back-up battery built into the modem (since it's for both internet and phone) went dead and the whole thing went dark. But since coming back up...my IP address has not changed. We had another wind storm beginning of February that knocked power out, but everything still worked because 1. They have good back-up power to the node and 2. My UPS and modem stayed up and I never lost internet connectivity so I used my wifi and battery on laptop whenever I wanted!

TV service is also great from them. Attached to this review are some pictures of the set-up to show the difference between standard cable and FTTH cable. What I have is actually very similar to Verizon FIOS, structure wise.

Here's to you Armstrong and to the future and DOCSIS 3.0 when it comes out! I'll review again this summer. Thank you for everything!!!!

***INITIAL REVIEW in September of 2008***

Well, what can I say, I finally have true broadband! For several years, we were tossed around from small cable op to the next which was nothing more than a group of greedy investors. This coverage area became the only one in the area that had never been upgraded to anything beyond basic cable. When surrounding areas were first introduced to broadband & digital cable 1996-2000, we were left in the dark, and remained so until now. It wasn't long however until Armstrong realized the market potential here and soon added us to their Boardman, OH system. They started about this time last year surveying the area and started hanging support wire to hold what was going to become fiber optic cable running from pole to pole. Finally in August, the project was completed. They run fiber optic cable straight to an omni box which is mounted at the premise and then coax is run into the house from there.

Now onto the service. Install took about 3 hours because we had them wire 6 TVs and plus the area of the main PC for Cable modem. Technician was very nice and knowledgeable, knew exactly what he was doing. Many may think a 3 week wait for an install is unreasonable, but considering they just turned up service here and everyone, and I mean everyone flocked to the sales personnel when they came around, they can only do so many installs a day. Plus I had to opt for a Saturday install to be here so that's pretty reasonable.

Speeds are pretty consistent. I'm on "Zoom 500" advertised as 5mbps/512kbps. I get around 4.5mbps/500kbps on a speed test which I consider reasonably competitive to the fact that with DSL you only receive about 80% of throughput. So my speeds compare to someone on a 6mbps DSL line.

Bottom line though, I finally have true broadband. No more crappy DSL because I'm "too far out" and no more waiting for a cable system to be upgraded. I've bitched and moaned for years, but I have nothing to complain about anymore!

Comments:

Review by macyh See Profile

• Location: Medina,Medina,OH
Good "Speed improvements and consistent quality a plus."
Bad "Caps added in 2014 are unreasonable and expensive."
Overall " Overpriced compared to RR & Frontier ADSL, now with usage caps & charges added. "

Update 03/2014: Armstrong instituted overpriced caps this year in an effort to raise rates on Cord Cutters, VPNs, Home Office and Netflix users. Frontier may be slower but they're improving enough and don't have caps, so I'll be changing ISP's soon.

Update 04/2011: Recent speed upgrades to 10x2 at same price are working well, makes this a superior service to telco ADSL. This has proven to be a reliable, decent cable modem service. Like it enough that we installed triple play pkg at my fathers new condo in Medina, it's also fast and reliable at $99/mo for first year, it's also a fine deal.

---

Moved to a new Ohio residence just over the township line, so cable co is now Armstrong. Good order/install experience, but they had to leave a new drop entrance cable on the ground until they get around to burying it. (btw, can't get VZ ADSL at this house, Armstrong is my only broadband option.) Their basic TV service is decent, but not great. Monthly fees for digital cable boxes and cable cards are quite a bit more expensive than TW ($10/mo vs $5/mo) and add up fast if you have multiple flat screen TV's.

Armstrong's Zoom 500 cable modem service is typical dynamic IP, with a Motorola Surfboard 3100 modem. Stated speed is typical 5x512 In day to day use, it definitely runs slower download speeds than my previous RR cable modem. I'm also not impressed by the Armstrong mail servers, but I didn't like RR's mail servers all that much and I'm fortunate enough to have my own well connection mail server available in/out.

If I try to leave a VPN or SSH remote access session open for any length of time, it will be disconnected. (Definitely worse than my previous RR cable modem service at the old house. I never see SSH/VPH disconnects on my brothers VZ ADSL at all.)

So far, as an ex-ISP owner, I'm disappointed with Armstrong's Zoom 500 service. I find that Armstrong is more expensive, not as fast or reliable as my previous Adelphia/TW RR service or my brothers nearby VZ ADSL. Zoom 500 is faster than my VZ Wireless EVDO service, so I'll stick with it for the time being, but I still long for the grade of service I have received at my other locations.

In my opinion, Armstrong has a captive audience in this rural suburban area with many homes unable to get telco ADSL and they have become complacent, perhaps even arrogant about their cable modem service. They need to do better, but since they have limited competition, it's uncertain that will occur. (And as a result, I am now wary about subscribing to their phone service, so are many other area residents.)

Update July 2008: After I complained to the local general manager, Armstrong put some effort toward improving my service a few months ago and it did make a difference. Primary issue is cable signal strength, since I'm at the end of the local distribution cable. They added an amplifier for TV's, made other adjustments to improve phone and internet. Cable modem and backbone internet service is now solid, service is consistent, speeds are decent but not great. Most commendable is that the internet service is consistent even during evening busy hours. Phone service has also improved and is now useful, but still get the occasional call waiting type interruption. Though I'm not as happy as I was when I had VZ FIOS in FL, this is about as good as semi-rural cable gets.

(For the record, I had VZ FIOS at my Tampa home. FIOS is much faster, somewhat cheaper and far more reliable. At that location, FIOS is far superior to RR cable modem or VZ ADSL and flat out costs less. And FIOS seldom, if ever drops an SSH or VPN session on me. Sure hope VZ FIOS comes to my location in Ohio someday soon.) the

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by OSIU See Profile

• Location: Medina,Medina,OH
Good "Not Frontier. More speed than Frontier. Same price as Frontier."
Bad "None yet."

·Frontier Communi..
Updated 3/16/14: Speeds are being bumped from 10/2 to 15/2 for $5 more/mo ($44.95). Definitely better than Frontier. Without any other significant competition in the area the $/Meg is still pretty high. The caps are getting a bump as well (see »www.armstrongonewire.com/policie ··· licy.pdf section VI.(E) for more information).

Updated 5/7/13: Still consistent speeds. More speed for the same price as DSL..... Goodbye Frontier!

Updated 4/24/2013: So far things are quite nice. No slowdowns noticed during peak hours. Latency is 30-40 ms. Speeds are consistently near the 11 Meg download and vary more for upload, 3-5 Meg. It appears that Frontier is about to lose a customer.....

4/19/2013: After being without DSL (3 down / 768 up) for almost a week with Frontier (»/comment/85672, for the gory details) I ordered Armstrong Zoom Internet only 10 down / 2 up on 4/12. First install date was 4/17 but I picked 4/19. Installer (contractor for Armstrong) ran a drop from the external box to my networking cabinet in the basement and despite it being relatively hidden, did a nice and neat install job. Once everything was hooked up, I plugged a laptop in and checked it out. IE pulled up Google quickly and a speed test gave 11/5 (during middle of the day). Now we will see how the evenings go and if there are any slowdowns.

member for 11.3 years, 1880 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:
junglist724

join:2013-01-22

FYI

There are now monthly usage caps.

OSIU
Where is my "change"?
join:2003-11-12
Nowhere
·Armstrong Zoom ..
·Frontier Communi..

Re: FYI

Yep, I saw them. I have been watching what we use and so far, we are okay. Thanks for the heads up!

For those interested in viewing the published Armstrong Internet Cable Caps, check out: »www.armstrongonewire.com/policie ··· licy.pdf Chapter VI, section E.

Review by foodstamp See Profile

• Location: Youngstown,Mahoning,OH
Good "Good up-time"
Bad "Caps, Unstable Speeds, Insane Overage Charges"
Overall "Taking advantage of their customers because they can. Avoid if possible. Only going to get worse."

I would love faster internet. I could use an online back-up service, heavily use my dropbox account, even watch some HD content on netflix... things that high speed internet would be useful for, but what exactly is the point if I'm only going to hit my cap faster than before. It's extremely disappointing to see Armstrong not only invalidate future services, but abuse their customers in such a flagrant way.

My main issue with Armstrong, who was previously a reasonable ISP is their sudden realization that they can abuse their monopoly. They were never the fastest ISP but they were reliable and they weren't gouging as badly as some of the larger companies. Caps do not combat peak hour usage, nor do they combat general congestion. It's there just to squeeze money out of you if you actually use what you paid for. I encourage you to search the web a bit if you aren't really following such things. It's not in your best interest as a customer in any way, shape, or form. The interface used to warn you of going over is inconvenient, requiring a browser restart or a manual clear of the cache, and the tools used to track usage are too delayed and vague. It's also ridiculous that the cap considers upload at all. Or that there isn't a cap free option available.

I'm gone the second I can find another service. Today I received a letter announcing another price increase for services and while it was kind of them to say they boosted internet speeds, I don't expect to actually see an increase nor do I don't want it. I'm slowly getting priced out of their services altogether. The cap is just... so low. You have HD movies coming in at 20 gigs, games hitting digital download services at up to 50 gigs, streaming services that chew through it 6-8 gigs at a time... it's just too low, let alone completely unjustified. Society is moving on and here is Armstrong doubling down on cable services and twisting customer arms in an attempt to delete their hulu and netflix accounts. This is only going to get worse, because the internet isn't going to go away and they refuse to embrace it as a prime service and they certainly think nothing of you if this is how they are going to approach things. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

member for 1.1 years, 1 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:
Orange

yes, terrible

I recently found out that Centurylink DSL offers an uncapped business plan in our area. Armstrong has a cable monopoly in most areas but your phone company probably has a plan without a cap for a little more money if you can get DSL in your area. We are leaving Armstrong for most of the reason you listed.

Review by albynospyder See Profile

• Location: Linesville,Crawford,PA
Good "speeds good enough for the gaming i do"
Bad "caps."
Overall "@150.00 a month, if your gunna cap, it need raised"

we got basic cable, extended cable package (includes H2, sci ch, dest. amer.), internet, phone. the amount of gaming I do gets me close to the caps along with my fiancés internet usage for school, and my daughters. we watch 1 to 5 movies a week on Netflix which I have the settings turned down on. we never hit the cap, but now that I got a ps4 it gets really close to the cap. I just feel that if I'm paying $150.00 they can raise the cap. I don't care what the fanboy that keeps replying to ppl has to say. I work hard for what we have and I shouldn't have to worry about my internet usage. the make plenty of profit. if they're gunna cap, they should raise it a little... I've seen what the one guy said about the avg. user only using a percent of what they allot, but that is straight up B.S. How can I work 40+ hours a week, my fiancé work 40 hours a week and go to school part time, and my daughter who is here on the weekends be higher than avg. We're not, its just a scam to make more money

Comments:

measter

Monopoly

This is what happens when you have a monopoly. I can't switch to comcast or centurylink or anyone else because they don't service this area. So Armstrong can do and charge anything they want, with no repercussions. They are losing tv customers every day as people switch to streaming, so it's their way of punishing those users. Great "hometown" service; screwing your customers.

Bill Clinton

Re: Monopoly

Armstrong cable co is the most hated company in Butler County. We service 9 to 14 homes a day and the most complaint of home owners is how the cable co cheats them on the service quality, the Internet caps and internet slow speeds. Let face it who even uses a land line phone anymore. The cable service supplied by Armstrong has been so bad over the past years, we all do better with an antenna. Leads to reason why we take advantage of Internet streaming with perfect picture quality that Armstrong has never provided. The caps are just another knife in the back from Armstrong co. To monopolize butler county. Just like Century link, Armstrong will soon be left in the past great fully forgotten. There is a company working right now building an Internet service and tv service with unlimited gb for less then $10 per month wireless to your home in Butler County. I personally can't wait.

Re: Monopoly

What company is that? I personally welcome ANY competition in Butler.

Review by shelterdog See Profile

• Location: Medina,Medina,OH
Good "Reliable signal. No contract."
Bad "Data caps lowered if you don't bundle. Local monopoly. No HD channels in value paclage."
Overall "A cable-internet company losing the battle with streaming. "

Forgive me for cross-posting some of my remarks from the forum for this company. And this is long, because I just dealt with them today and I'm frustrated. My family has to cut back financially, so I canceled HBO, HD cable and PVR services. We are downgrading next week to a package for $102 a month.

Cable is to streaming what telephone modems are to DSL. Instead of working with the growing trend of streaming TV, Armstrong penalizes customers for going over a monthly data cap through extra charges. Value cable is not HD and not worth the money, but to avoid losing 50 GB of data from the 250 cap, we had to buy the bundle.

When I expressed concern about streaming a movie on Netflix or Hulu taking a big chunk out of one day's data allotment, they recommended setting the picture quality to low to save bandwidth. What's that about?!

I agree with critics who say these companies cap data to make room for more customers- not, as they say, to protect the customer's interest. So we're paying for substandard TV and internet that is reliable but slow at peak times. Imo, we're getting a lot less than what we're paying for. We live inside the Medina city limits. If we lived a short distance down the road, we would have Time Warner, which is so much better.

Comments:

Review by slater See Profile

• Location: Orrville,Wayne,OH
Good "Fast and reliable"
Bad "Very low cap..."
Overall "Not worth the price you pay with the cap they give."

Great install, great service, fast speeds, and reliable. The problem?

The cap.

I have had a favorable view of Armstrong and their services, but the cap that was introduced in 2013 is ridiculous.

Tipping point #1: Getting a popup on my computer saying that I have used 82% of my monthly allocation and not allowing me to proceed without accepting the message.

Tipping point #2: Getting a $10 charge on my statement for being 4.12GB over my 150GB cap. 4.12GB!!!

Result: Moving to Centurylink even though their service is not as good. Hoping others will as well.

Problems with the new system of bandwidth caps:

- More things are becoming digital and requiring downloads and streaming. Stream HD Netflix for 2-3 hours a day for a month and you will be well over your cap without doing anything else on the internet. My wife streams 2-4 hours a day usually.

- The assumption that a cap of 150GB should work for both a 768 Kb/s and a 15Mb/s connection is absurd considering the increase in speed (over 19x) available for the higher connection. 10Mb/down and 2Mb/up meets my needs currently as far as speed goes. Bandwidth limit is another story. For $20 more a month at 15Mb/s I would not get any more limit. For $50 more a month I could get 30Mb/s and get a whopping 100GB extra. What a steal! But wait, I could pay $10 for every extra 50GB with my current plan or prepay at a generous 25-35% savings (but only starting at 100Gb). I have issues paying more for what I have already paid for.

- Offering additional bandwidth for bundled services is a sly way of getting the people who want to cut a cable tv connection to not cut it. i.e. If I want to cut my cable tv, then I will use more internet. But wait, I can’t do that because the bandwidth does not allow. But if I bundle, then I can get more bandwidth even though I will actually use less! Sounds silly doesn’t it?

- What's going to happen with the new generation of consoles? Many Xbox One and PS4 game downloads will be over 50GB. The next game I get through Steam will likely be 42GB. So now if I download 1 game in a month (which is ridiculous as I usually download quite a few through Steam or Xbox Store) at 50GB, then I have 100GB left. So now I have to cut any video streaming or anything else I want to do to get under the cap. More likely I will download 2-3 games a month. If I did nothing but play games and downloaded 2-3 games a month I would be over my limit. This is unacceptable.

- For reference, Comcast was 250GB limit when I lived in VA and I was not happy with the cap, but I lived with it. On the other hand 150GB is tiny for a heavier user like me and is only going to get smaller as downloads and streaming video quality goes up.

The response from Armstrong?

Typical CSR BS that didn't acknowledge a single thing I commented about. Simply, regurgitating some junk that further infuriated me because it repeated things that I had commented on as if I didn't understand them.

/endrant

So a long rant, but there are many other things that could be said.

Armstrong doesn't have a problem with the amount of bandwidth available, they have a problem during peak times. I have worked at managing when my games download or when we watch shows to off peak times, but it doesn't matter. 4.12GB over.... $10 added to my statement!

Long and short of it is that Armstrong is losing a longtime customer and all because of this cap and in the end, pretty poor customer service.

Dustin S

Comments:
Orange

CenturyLink

How has CenturyLink been for you? We are thinking of making the same change.

It looks like only about 6mbps is available from them where I live though, but that would probably be fine.

Are they capped at all? I looked online and one person mentioned a 250gig cap while others said there was no cap at all.

internet302

@embarqhsd.net

Re: CenturyLink

no cap and the speed is awsome!!better the armstrong!!

Review by Maranello See Profile

• Location: Butler,Butler,PA
Good "downtime is very rare."
Bad "Data caps that I was never informed of."
Overall "Oh, those caps but the service is reliable. "

I have the "Zoom Pro" plan, 15.5 Mbps down and 4.7 Mbps up for $60. No contracts, month to month billing..... but no real competition for Armstrong either. In a time when my Comcast friends report Comcast is officially stating (on their billing page) they are no longer enforcing their 250GB cap, Here comes Armstrong with lower (150GB to start) caps with bundling plans and "low" cap overages to "help" the customer. Unfortunately I don't have any real company to turn to in protest as they have no real competition in my area.

I was never informed that a cap was being put in place until I was at 80% of said cap... at least they gave me a heads up on that.

My connection has been very smooth. Outages have been very minimal but it should be when I compare my bill and data speed vs those Comcast friends.

Comments:
MissyL

join:2013-11-22
usa

Cap

I also was not informed of a cap.

I called and complained about this cap and even wanted to speak to the legal department.
They have no clue on how to contact the legal department.
We are should be Grandfathered in:
Grandfathering
Black’s Law Dictionary defines “grandfathering” or a "grandfather clause" as “an exception to a restriction that allows all those already doing something to continue doing it even if they would be stopped by the new restriction.”

New Rules. If, for example, the board adopted a rule that pets over 50 pounds were prohibited, the board must grandfather existing oversize pets. Therefore, the owner of a 75 pound dog who resides in the development prior to the adoption of the restriction could keep the pet. However once the pet died, his next pet would have to comply with the new restriction.

Existing Rules. The same is true for existing rules. If an existing rule has not been enforced by prior boards, a new board has no choice but to grandfather existing violations and begin enforcing any new violations. If the board plans to enforce a rule that had previously been neglected, it needs to give written notice to the membership of its intentions.

Missy, the Federal Government is required to follow this even if they dont want to, The term grandfather clause in its current application refers to a legislative provision that permits an exemption based upon a preexisting condition. For example, through the application of grandfather clauses, certain prerogatives are extended to those regularly engaged in a particular profession, occupation, or business that is regulated by statute or ordinance. Such a clause might allow an individual, who has been in continuous practice in a particular profession for a specific period, to circumvent certain licensing requirements.

Or you can just read it here
Code: Select All

»AT&T Pays Price for War on Grandfathered Unlimited Data Users

AT&T Pays Price for War on Grandfathered Unlimited Data Users
Pays FCC $700,000 Will Refund Customers
by Karl Bode 10:42AM Wednesday Nov 07 2012
AT&T has paid a penalty for their heavy handed effort to force unlimited wireless data users on to the company's metered plans. According to the FCC consent decree, AT&T will be paying the government $700,000 and refunding consumers after pushing grandfathered unlimited data toward metered plans.

After eliminating their unlimited data option in 2010, AT&T grandfathered those users -- though most knew the fun wouldn't last. In 2011 AT&T announced they'd start throttling wireless data customers who consumed "more than their fair share" of network data. AT&T stated that the throttling would specifically focus on just the top 5 percent of the heaviest data users in a billing period. AT&T also stated targeted users consumed 12 times more data than the average of all other smartphone users.

Whiile grandfathered users were allowed to retain their unlimited-but-throttled status, AT&T waged a quiet war on those users -- using any excuse to nudge those customers toward metered usage plans. Everyone from customers who moved to customers who used AT&T's phone insurance plans (or used their warranty) were migrated to metered billing, and the FCC says it took a year to investigate mounting complaints about the practice.

"Today’s action sends a clear signal that wireless carriers can’t wrongfully charge consumers,’" said FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski in a prepared statement -- even though the penalty once-again likely pales to the money made from the practices being punished. "These strong FCC accountability measures will ensure customers are not over-charged. I am pleased that AT&T is taking the appropriate steps to resolve this issue."

Under the agreement AT&T must complete an audit of their billing practices, and users impacted could see refunds ranging from $25 to $30 per month depending on data usage. Impacted users should be contacted by AT&T during their normal billing cycle.

Update: AT&T has provided us with the following statement on the settlement with the FCC:

quote:"The consent decree involves less than 0.03 percent of our wireless customers, who inadvertently had a monthly data plan added to their account after getting a new smartphone through a warranty or insurance exchange or after relocating.

We had already discovered and corrected the issue by Nov. 2010, and had given refunds to customers who contacted us. Based on a review of our refund process, we believe a vast majority of those customers affected by the billing error have already been made whole. But as part of the decree we’ll be providing a bill-page notice to affected customers, offering refunds, and giving them the option to return to a data pay-per-use plan, or to have a data block applied to their phone."

If the FCC is going to nail AT&T this badly, do you think for one second they are going to allow any ISP to do the same thing they just ruled was a violation?
__________________

Re: Cap

I'm sure the cashier at McDonalds has no idea how to contact the legal department either. If you need a legal department, get a Lawyer.

@zoominternet.net
Terms of Service were updated, in May, they sent letters to large offenders, telling them, they sent different letters to people who were close, and the letter sent to everyone else said read the terms of service they changed. They then started "enforcing" the caps in June/July, with warnings at 80, 90 abd 100% with automatic credits for the first months overage, credits for the second month's overages when requested, and a third prorated credit for the third month if asked.

How much more warning do you want?
»www.armstrongonewire.com/policie ··· ult.aspx

Here is an excact quote from the Terms of Service.

"Armstrong reserves the right to amend, modify, supplement, or replace (i) any or all of the terms, conditions, and policies set forth in this Agreement, (ii) any other terms, conditions, or policies
incorporated into this Agreement by reference, or (iii) any prices or fees at any time, for any reason,with or without advance notice of any kind"

"Because notices may appear solely on the Website, You agree that You will check the Website from time to time for any amendments or other changes. If You find an amendment or other
update to be unacceptable, You may cancel Your Service(s). However, Your continued use of the Service(s) and / or Your payment to Armstrong for the Service(s) after the effective date of any amendments or other changes will constitute Your acceptance of such amendments or other updates.
You may not amend or otherwise change this Agreement by making any handwritten, typed, or other changes to the Agreement for any purpose. "

1 recommendation

Re: Cap

After reading some of these responses I can't help but think Armstrong is posting on them...

Let's be realistic. The cap is garbage. It's lower than many other ISPs who cap and we all know that bandwidth is getting cheaper and cheaper.

ISPs are using caps to try and force revenue they lost from those who are cutting cable TV.

Other ISPs like Verizon still have no cap in many areas and are still dominating their markets.

If Armstrong didn't have a monopoly on cable internet in most places I can't believe they would even consider such a ludicrous data cap.

disgustedno1

@sbcglobal.net
At&t has elite 6 mb speed direct internet with out voice service $34.95 for 6 mo. than it goes up to 53.00 a month and you guys are complaining about getting 10 mb speed for 39.95 a month.what do you guys live on line to use 150 gigs,WoW

Re: Cap

LOL, always anonymous posters defending armstrong.

Review by parasitius See Profile

Good "Service quality consistent, streaming movies never skip, download tons simultaneously"
Bad "New data cap "
Overall "I absolutely adore this company!"

So I'm moving far far away and just had to do the most depressing thing - call and cancel. They are even giving me a prorated refund - this company is so awesome it blows my mind. I live in Boardman and am moving to Texas - down there my option will be Time Warner and I'm not looking forward to it because their reputation preceeds them. 3 years with Armstrong have been bliss -- mostly I would just say I'm totally unaware of their existence -- my internet JUST WORKS as if I have an ethernet cable plugged directly into the backbone. I watch Netflix in HD on Roku and download 3 or 4 dirty movies on my PC at the same time and it is always smooth and fast. LOVE IT. Now recently I did start hitting a 150GB bandwidth limit and they warn I'll get charged $10 for overage --- a VERY GENEROUS 50GB for $10 --- I almost laughed when I saw it. Just go away - I don't care - glad to pay that for an extra 50GB. I still remember paying for web hosting of a commercial site I had in 1998 when 1 GB cost $15 to put it in perspective. Anyone who downloads over 150GB in a month is HOARDING content they cannot actually go through plain and simple and the self-righteous complaints about it as if their human rights are being violated when they are requested to pay $10 blow my mind )

Thanks for 3 great years Armstrong. Please expand to Texas!!! Anyone who doubts the authenticity of this review is welcome to google my username... I'm all over the web. Peace.

Comments:
Orange

I laughed.

Your post is fantastic satire. Well done.

Comparing prices of internet in 1998 to the year 2013 to make your point about their "reasonable" overage fees for their self-imposed cap? Hilarious.
comp
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA
·Armstrong Zoom ..
·DIRECTV

Re: I laughed.

LOL that is funny. There is a reason that in almost every middle class neighborhood Armstrong covers... there is Direct TV and Dish Sats. everywhere. Past the TV.. Armstrong is one of the most expensive internet providers in the country for the speed you get... nevermind the horrible data caps that they never informed there customers they were enforcing

-1 recommendation

Re: I laughed.

How much more warning do you want?
»www.armstrongonewire.com/policie ··· ult.aspx

Here is an excact quote from the Terms of Service.

comp
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA

Re: I laughed.

Sorry but they never sent any letters to the non offenders Company is too cheap for the postage