Armstrong Zoom Internet page on DSLReports

Review by cwm2513 See Profile

• Location: Meadville,Crawford,PA
Good "Speeds higher than advertised, reliable, no drop during peak hours"
Bad "Very asymmetrical (low) upload speed"
Overall "Fast, reliable internet if you are willing to pay for it"

I recently upgraded to Zoom Enterprise internet service from Zoom Pro. Zoom Pro advertises 15mb/s down and 3mb/s up for $59.95/month. Speeds were consistently higher (even during peak hours) at 18mb/s up and 5mb/s down. I do a lot of HD movie streaming and video editing work, so I decided to get the Enterprise level. The installer arrived early on my chosen installation day and took about 10 minutes. He replaced the Motorola Surfboard modem with an Arris Docsis 3.0 modem. A speed test was performed with a laptop directly wired to the modem with a result of 56mb/s down and 7.5mb/s up. The speeds advertised with this level of service are 50mb/s down and 5mb/s up. I am very happy to say, that my speeds on wired or wireless are consistently around 56mb/s down and 8mb/s up with 18-20ms ping and 0-3ms jitter. My only complaint is, I wish that the up/down speeds were more symmetrical. One of the advantages of the Enterprise level of service is having all ports open, and being able to run a server, so the additional up speed would be very useful.

Comments:

Review by robertm1771 See Profile

• Location: Chesapeake,Lawrence,OH
Good "Great in home service. Always seem to have good techs come out."
Bad "About once a week I call and have to complain about problems. 33% packet loss is common"
Overall "We are screwed cause there are no other high speed providers in the area. Looks like hey have upgrades in the works"

Used to be a big supporter of Armstrong/Zoom internet but over the last 8 months service has got poor at best. Allot of packet loss. Speed jumps all over the place.

Just had a service call. Found out why they are having so much trouble and what there doing to fix it. While still have a bit of a wait and see I do feel better about what i heard.

They are using shared fiber with other providers atm. That fiber is so overloaded they have to run data on the redundant side of the link as well. So when one side goes down everyone gets slow speeds and massive packet loss. Tech told me Armstrong is testing there own redundant fiber loop. With some luck lines should be up in couple weeks. And if true most all the slow speeds and packet loss should be a thing of the past.

Like I told the tech they need to tell there customers. People will stick with them if they know they are working on the problem.

All the Armstrong customers in the southern Ohio area should be improvements soon. If not i guess I will have to try something else.

Comments:
dave940

join:2011-03-13
Elizabeth, WV

ditto

Same here in Rockport, WV. Armstrong is the only game in town, and they operate like they know it. Service is horrible, full of disconnects, sometimes starting as early as mid-morning, through the late evening hours. I'm paying for the highest tier of DSL service. Neighbors on each side of me have abandoned their land line for wireless, but of course they do not have internet service. I'm afraid that they are losing enough of their customer base to the point that Armstrong will not see the value of improving the situation around here.
high speed

join:2012-09-02
Lafayette, IN

Frontier's High Speed Internet

I have had high speed internet from Frontier for the past 5 years. I live out in the country, and on my road, the only internet provider is frontier. I enjoy playing xbox live alot but always lag and cant even host a game bc the internet is so slow. I just tried watching Netflix and every 5 mins, i have to wait for the movie to load back up bc the internet is slow again. Its very frustrating and what makes it even worse, is my friend which lives a mile from me, on the next road over has TDS internet provider and never lags. We also just had our Fantasy Football draft at his house and had 12 labtops running off of the one modem and never lagged once....if your thinking about buying frontier, i would not do so, bc the internet is awful and takes for ever to load up a page like facebook. it really feels like i have dial up again.i would rather pay $10 more a month and have TDS than Frontier...that is pretty sad. ps i also have to call the tech support once a month bc the internet gets so bad where you cant even bare it
fixento

join:2012-01-20
Butler, PA

Slooooooooooooooooow interneeeet connection high cost

The problem is not with deceptive, lying and cheating cable/Internet companies like Armstrong, its the lack of regulation of these providers. If they charge you to provide a connection at a specific speed, provide it or refund the subscriber monthly connection fee according to the speed provided. Money talks and trust me they would get there today's technology tomorrow act together.

Great friendly service, right, no doubt since they have hand in your wallet and are effectively stealing from you by not providing the service the said they would.

Review by jonnyz See Profile

• Location: Canfield,Mahoning,OH
Good "Clean cable line & modem install, no caps, well-trained technicians, good website FAQs"
Bad "No free port 80 web hosting, confusing webmail, latency can be an issue, periodic outages are far too frequent nowadays"
Overall "A decent choice for cable internet in Northeast OH / Western PA"

Update 5/21/12:
While speeds have increased and prices have stayed the same, Armstrong's speed and reliability have really gone downhill in the past few months. There will be times where the connection just "drops out" or becomes extremely slow for a few minutes. Speeds also suffer in the evenings when usage is the heaviest. Armstrong appears to have oversubscribed their internet service in the area, and I am left hoping they do something about it - they seem to be aware of the problem but do not care enough to remedy it.

Service Levels (»onewire2.armstrongonewire.com/in···els.aspx, updated here 5/21/12):

Zoom Express - 756Kb down / 256Kb up, 3 email accounts - $26.95/mo
Zoom - 10Mb down / 2Mb up, 6 email accounts - $39.95/mo --- My service
Zoom Pro - 15Mb down / 3Mb up, 10 email accounts - $59.95/mo
Zoom Business Essentials - 30Mb down / 5Mb up, 15 email accounts, remote email access, dynamic IP (static IP available upon request for a fee) - $89.95/mo
Zoom Enterprise - 50Mb down / 5Mb up, 15 email accounts, internal email & web hosting, remote email access, dynamic IP (static IP available upon request for a fee) - $119.95/mo

*All prices are less than listed if bundled with Armstrong Cable TV or Phone service
*Trend Micro Antivirus is provided for tiers as well, with the # of licenses matching the # of emails accounts in the tier
*Accounts should still come with a small amount of FTP storage as well
*Extra email accounts, private FTP, static IP(s), and domain/web hosting are all offered as extras for various prices, but you must call to request them

-Installation was fast, with an installer that seemed to know at least a little bit about Macs, a plus
-The provided modem is a Motorola SB5200 or better.
-IP addresses are dynamic for the non-business class services
-A static IP is available for $5/mo
-The Support FAQs on their "new" website are basic and not very useful but their phone tech support is good. If they cannot understand the problem, or if the problem is bad and their fault, they will send a tech out within 1 or 2 days to look at the problem.
-Main internet site is »onewire2.armstrongonewire.com/in···ult.aspx

Comments:

Review by ropegun1 See Profile

• Location: Proctorville,Lawrence,OH
Good "Dependable TV"
Bad "Slow internet speeds"

HD tv channels are great, wish they had BigTen network though. Internet Speeds have been terrible for the last few months. I agree with another recent post on here from my area, internet is almost unusable during peak hours in the evenings. Techs have replaced two modems(their solutions is always to send a tech). I have been calling and complaining weekly with no improvements in service yet. Speeds look decent on speedtest.zoominternet.net across their network, but in real life they are not so good. I can't watch a 4 min you tube video without constant buffering. Last speed test this evening here »speedtest.net/result/1720606000.png. I would be happy if I was getting what I am paying for. Their internet speeds used to be great. I have had Armstrong for well over 10 yrs.

Comments:

Review by fixento See Profile

• Location: Butler,Butler,PA
Overall "If available use an anlternative suppier."

Slow Internet service started 3 weeks ago during peak hours, download speed as low as 2.5 mb/s, paying for 10 mb/s service. They keep sending service techs out to my home to put a meter on the line but of course they find nothing.since the problem is in the Armstrong distribution equipment .

Backward small market company, manged by boiler room management that think sending techs out will satisfy the customer rather than fixing the service problem. The motto "yesterdays technology tomorrow" is perfect fit for this company. If you have any alternatives to Armstrong high speed Internet, use the other company. Be cautious of great reviews since they provide their employees free cable including 50 mb/s Internet as a perk.

Comments:

Review by Fragems See Profile

• Location: Proctorville,Lawrence,OH
Good "Decent Speeds the Majority of the Time"
Bad "Not getting advertised speed and during peak hours is sometimes unusable."
Overall "When it works its great. But bottlenecks like crazy from 3PM-12AM"

Had them for 4 years now for both phone and internet. We are on a plan which lists 10mb/s download speeds and 2mb/s upload for $40 when bundled together with phone service for a total of $83. For the past 4 years the service has been exceptional while i usually only see 5MB/s speeds that's enough that I have never had any real issues. Uploads however are quite annoying and can take hours if not days on any larger files such as videos, but since i have no need to upload files very often i don't mind. Altogether Ive been very pleased with their service. However in the past 2 months the service has been horrible. The internet basically becomes unusable for anything other then web browsing from around 3pm-12am when the most traffic is online. In the past Ive mainly used this connection for online gaming and streaming videos but with the horrible speeds at the peak usage times I can no longer play games without randomly getting disconnects and a 20 minute video can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to fully load. Ive been waiting to see if the slowdowns would go away but as of now things seem to be getting worse and worse. I'm severely disappointed with this ISP and if things don't change in the next month or 2 ill most likely be looking for a new ISP.

Comments:
Fragems

join:2012-01-17
Proctorville, OH

Ran Zoom's Test :X

Less then 1mb of dl... ran it 4 times to make sure. Oddly enough I decided to plug my laptop directly into the modem to see if my wireless router had gone bad and the test actually came back worse :P.
ktarn

join:2001-12-15
Saxonburg, PA

Re: Ran Zoom's Test :X

Have you tried doing the following.

1. Turn off any device on your network that use the Internet
2. Unplug all Cables from your Modem.
3. Remove the power connector to your router
4. Wait 2 to 5 Minutes
5. Plus the modem back in. Wait till all the light are stable
6. Plus the router power cable back in.
7. Power up one PC. Check the speed.
8. Bring out device back up.

I did that and went from getting speeds between 3mbp to 8mbps depending on test server and test to getting speed test of

9.8mbps to 11+MBPS test.

I seem to have to do the above steps ever so often. Usual once every 3 to six months.
ktarn

join:2001-12-15
Saxonburg, PA

Re: Ran Zoom's Test :X

Speed test before

This one a few days later. Because i forget to log in before running the test after the reboot. This is one of lower test after words. Just like the above was one of lower tests.

Review by H_T_R_N See Profile

• Location: Valencia,Butler,PA
Good "Speed always there, never an issue."
Bad "None!"
Overall "If you need speed and service you can not go wrong"

I have had Armstrong from day one. The amount of time I was down in minutes over the 12 years I have had them can be counted on the digits on my body. We are talking about more than 5 9's here. I wish they would offer a couple free IP addresses, but other than that no complaints.

member for 2.3 years, 942 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ttulio See Profile

• Location: Forest Hill,Harford,MD
Good "Good connection during off hours; Friendly and helpful staff"
Bad "Connection slow and unusable for streaming or gaming during peak"
Overall "It's better than the alternative, which is dial-up"

The service is at rated speeds during the times when most people aren't home. But when I often need to use it, such as evenings or weekends, I can't stream HD on Netflix or Hulu, and I have a lot of gaming issues. Speed tests, even on Armstrong's own servers, often have higher upload than download speeds on the 10/2 plan. It's good for checking mail and doing some web surfing, but the neighborhood seems heavily oversubscribed. It's been a couple of years since they took over Clearview Cable, so they should have been able to clean up the poor system that they inherited by now. But it's faster than dial-up, and there's nothing else available.

Comments:

Review by keyboard5684 See Profile

• Location: Zelienople,Butler,PA
Good "Reliable. Consistent. Speed packages are limited and very considerably."
Bad "Cost is high, speeds are what they advertise. I know they are capable of higher speeds but too costly."
Overall "Solid connection with the highest speeds available here."

Coming from an area that I had fiber to my home (PTP, not Fios or shared fiber) I really wanted something that "seemed" like fiber. I tried calling the local telco (consolidated communications) but was on hold for 30 minutes in the ordering queue. Called Armstrong and someone answered the phone right away. I went for the 2nd out of three tiers for speed. $30 a month for 20megs by 2megs. They just updated the speeds (they were 2M/500K) and I have yet to see the 20Mb download speeds. It still is the same old 8 Megs but I have yet to complain (I will).

Speeds are consistent, works great with my VOIP (Teliax) and I have had no outages. I ordered a static IP for $5 a month so I could connect an ASA to VPN to work.

Overall I would recommend Armstrong but it has only been a couple months to judge. I will see how it goes and if it matches up to the speeds they advertise. It is comparable to fiber connectivity and solid as fiber as well.

member for 12.7 years, 2379 visits, last login: 1.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by ratchet See Profile

• Location: Titusville,Crawford,PA
Good "Stable, phone support usually immediate."
Bad "Monopoly in rural areas and prices and speeds don't compare to the large ISPs."
Overall "Have no choice without competition!"

Pretty much have to echo what others have said. For years (and still now) their website lists Zoom 500 download speed @ 5mbps, then I'm reading some reviews and discovered it is now 10. I called and was told since there is no competition in Titusville it will be a while before we get that! The thing I don't understand is, they've put a lot of work in improving the Titusville plant the past several years, so why would they not have in place whatever is needed to provide those speeds. Unless they are pushing some special package they don't list prices any ware.

Amazing! A few days after this post our speeds have also been increased. Happy camper I am!