Hawaiian Telcom page on DSLReports

Review by apkesz See Profile

• Location: Waianae,Honolulu,HI
Good "Worked about 90% for the last 8 years."
Bad "Stops working in wet weather, no longer recovers in dry."
Overall "Mediocre"

I have had Hawaiian Telcom DSL since arriving here in 2005. Every year there is a rainy spell, and during this time service goes out. I have put in a service call every year since about then. Every year, HT waits several days until things dry out, then finds no problem on the line. This year, that didn't work. The line just kept getting worse.

Since this year's outage began, I have made about 10 phone calls, submitted online requests, and had three visits from technicians. After each visit, they said the problem was fixed, and I had to discover that it was not. Finally, on the last visit, they said there was a defective cable that they thought was getting wet in the rain, which sounds a lot like the thing I have been telling them about every year for the last eight.

Now my case has been submitted to the cabling department (eight years late), and I don't get to find out when anything might happen. HT's competitor, Oceanic Time Warner, is scheduled to install here on Thursday. HT needs to do something extraordinary to keep me as a customer. I do not seem to be hearing any offers.

• Location: 96920
Good ". .. i don't know <3. ."
Bad "m o n o p o l y & bankrupt : owned by an Australian firm 12.01.10"
Overall "you have no choice :)"

. ref »www.hawaiiantlecom.net .former new jersy bell verizon spin off . . .they do what they want , when they want to . ..essentially unregulated . ..need we say more ? It's like the power company . always on yet you have no choice in the matter other than to opt out

(review was emailed from domain hawaiiantel.net)

Comments:

Review by ancientpc See Profile

• Location: Honolulu,Honolulu,HI
Good "cheap, great customer service, fast turnaround time, static IP"
Bad "only 90% of advertised speed, bittorrent throttling"
Overall "great local company, good price and good service, bad for torrenting"

My past experiences is dealing with Time Warner RoadRunner, AT&T U-verse, SBC DSL, and Verizon FIOS have all been neutral or bad.

When I first moved here I signed up with RoadRunner, but they forgot about my appointment and the earliest reschedule was another week out. Frustrated, I decided to go with Hawaiian Telecom.

I called them up and they sent out a modem and changed the shipping to UPS 2-day so I could get it before the weekend. Setup was straightforward, and I was online and ran a couple of bandwidth tests. Advertised was 3/1 mbps (for $35/mo), I got 2.85/0.77. They also offer 5/1 and 7/1 for $10 and $20 more respectively.

2 weeks later I called to setup the DSL router into bridge mode. Time from dialing to problem solved: 2m56s! I called back later to ask some questions and my wait time was ~5 minutes, but both times the tech reps were extremely knowledgeable and not spewing crap or flipping pages (I've worked tech support for years :-/).

I initially went with cable due to familiarity, but working with a local company that actually tries is a refreshing change of pace.

Update: After the first honeymoon week with them, they started throttling my downstream whenever I started my torrent client.

Update: I reran torrent client on ports 20-21 and encrypted all traffic. They are now throttling my connection based on encrypted traffic as well. I was able to trigger throttling using scp and rsync over ssh.

Comments:

Review by stosher See Profile

• Location: Pahoa,Hawaii,HI
Good ". .. . .. umm . . ."
Bad "m o n o p o l y"
Overall ". .beware . . ."

. . Oa'hu \ honolulu : it's called " the busy island " now . ßyer ße v e r y wary . Lines are ≠ a l w a y s busy . We can not blame it on Japan either . Monopolies - never - work out well for consumers . hi telcom is a orphaned Verizon ® company h t h ∞ »www.ntt.net/english/about/networ ··· _map.cfm 11.04.06 11:00 HST • ≠

Comments:

Review by cousinisaac See Profile

• Location: Honolulu,Honolulu,HI
Good "Tech support calls you back- even on weekends!"
Bad "Westell modem has no security and loses connection"
Overall "With a better modem, I'd be happy."

I ordered the Hawaiiantel dsl standalone (no home phone) 3 Mbs service for about $30 per month. The speed is fine, and the customer service is great when they can help you- they'll even call back on weekends!

The problem is with the modem itself, the Westell 7500 (Model Number A90-750020-07). The tier-1 tech support guys don't know how to configure it completely and it's no surprise because the web based gui is obtuse. It's got loads of features that only advanced users or the techie provisioning the line should see like ATM Loopback and RIP, but you can't configure the firewall to do simple things like hide your ip address from the world (stealth mode) or block unsolicited incoming traffic easily. In fact the firewall only stops outbound traffic. Ports 443, 2420, and 6363 are all left open and there appears to be no way to shut them down. They are for remote management, which, even if you turn off for your own account, is left on and open to the internet for anyone with the master password to use. If that is out in the wild, you're screwed. Lastly, the supposedly dynamic IP address only refreshes if the modem is left off for 3 hours or more and even then it never seems to refresh. So I have been with the same IP address for months, leaving ample time for anyone to hammer away at what little security there is. I suspect that it is because of this that my connection goes down frequently.

I've asked for a different modem but they just laugh. And of course, the make of the modem, Westell, just point me back to Hi-tel for support. I'm going to try using my old 2wire modem, if I can.

One other aside- and this might affect you whether or not you are a hi-tel customer. They had their DNS servers pointed at old, out of date, CNAME records for some of my websites that are hosted elsewhere which meant that hi-tel customers using their default dns servers could not see my sites. I am not the only one this happened to- I've read other accounts online of the same thing. But since I use OpenDNS (better security) I was unaware of the issue until I tried to load my site from another computer outside my network. So, for a few months, I was unaware that my sites were unavailable to potential clients. Their tech support were very good in calling me back to handle the issue, but for me the only was to resolve it for good was to reset my dns settings with my registrar so as to force their servers to recognize the correct addresses.

Since that issue is resolved and independent of my DSL service, the bottom line for me is that I would stick with hi-tel provided I can use a different modem. But I am exploring my options.

I give hi-tel an A for effort and an F for whoever made the decision to go with the Westell 7500. It's quite possible that was a carry-over from the Verizon days, but I'd really like a device that is better secured.

Comments:

Review by n1418 See Profile

• Location: Honolulu,Honolulu,HI
Good "Alternative to Cable/VOIP, Rock solid POTS service"
Bad "2.5 mbps down, argumentative tech support, shoddy hardware, noncompetitive pricing"
Overall "Go with Cable internet and VOIP"

I mistakenly posted the same review under "Hawaiian Internet".

I signed up for Hawaiian Telcom when they were still contracting DSL service through Verizon.

I had few problems with Verizon aside from convincing the tech support reps that the combo dsl modem/wireless router they sent me was very flaky. It only allowed one wireless connection at a time, and would consistently reject any other attempted connections. I finally had to insist they send me a non-wireless DSL modem with NO router built-in. So they sent me a modem/wireless router combo-- the exact same one I was having problems with. After a few months, it too started refusing to issue IP addresses, so once again I insisted that Verizon issue me a plain old DSL modem. I informed them I had my own router, and had absolutely no desire for any type of combo modem/routers they had. They assured me I would be receiving a regular DSL modem. I received a DSL modem with a built-in router several weeks later. At this point, I decided to ride out my one year contract and switch to cable. Oceanic offers 5mbps average down speeds for the same price as Hawaiian Telcom.

At some point in the Spring of 2006, Hawaiian Telcom formally acquired the DSL services from Verizon. I was hoping to receive better service. However, when I called in to cancel my DSL three days before my contract was up, I was given the runaround (expected), and finally landed with some lady who accused me of lying when I informed her of my bad experiences with the DSL. I informed her that I wanted to schedule my DSL termination date for one day after my one-year contract was up (effectively 4 days from when I called). She apparently went ahead and cancelled it that day instead, resulting in a $99 early-termination charge for cancelling 3 days early!

That was in June. It is now the beginning of August and I still have yet to be refunded my $99. That doesn't stop Hawaiian Telcom from sending me bills, however, and no matter how many times I call in to rectify this problem, I'm told that I will be issued a credit "soon".

These guys talk about bringing back homegrown Hawaiian service, along the lines of "sticking it" to the big Telco’s. In essence, they are simply changing the monopoly over to Hawaii. Customer Service is nonexistent at this company, and honestly, the DSL speeds really aren't justified by the price.

I have since switched to 808NetFone for home phone service and Oceanic Time Warner for internet. Not only do I pay less each month, but I have dozens more features, free long distance, and a down pipe of a consistent 4mbps minimum, peaking up to 5.5.

Save your money and let these guys remember what happens to companies without customers before ordering their service.