Hawaiian Telcom page on DSLReports

Review by HODGING See Profile

• Location: Kahului,Maui,HI
Good "usually reliable service"
Bad "Can only get 3.3 mbits on Maui, up to 10mbits on Oahu"
Overall "Good service good price"

Good service. Sometimes it feels just a little faster than dial up.
But for the most part it is good for music, however video is too 'jumpy' and difficult to watch.

Comments:

Review by AmarilloSATs See Profile

• Location: Honolulu,Honolulu,HI
Good "Fast and inexpensive"
Bad "None at this point"
Overall "Highly Recommend Hawaiian Telcom's DSL - the finally got it right with rates, no contract"

I had Hawaiian Telcom come out to my apt as they needed to switch the terminations out on the keyboard. After that, the 3mbps no-contract $29.95 per mo service has been working great! Speed tests consistently at 2.5 mbps and higher, usually 2.7 mbps.

The pre-sales was not a point to comment on as I'm in IT and I sought out information on HT's DSL after 3 years of spotty, often slow Road Runner cable on Oahu. The modem shipped to me in 3 days, as promised. The DSL was provisioned on the scheduled date, the only problem was that HT had to switch terminations on their keyboard in box outside. The tech got here 1st thing in the morning, totally knew what he was doing, got it done and since then I'm flying along and loving HT DSL.

Highly recommend it for speed and price.

Added Note After Reading My Reveiw: Someone here at DSLR.com needs to update this forums pricing for Hawaiian Telcom. It says $48 per mo, but HT has significantly lowered their rates -- $19.95 for 1.5mbps, no contract; $34.00 per mo for 3mbps per mo, no contract: $34.00 per mo for 7mbps for 12 mo contract, after which the the 7mbps rate goes up to $46.00 per mo

And no, I do not work for nor have any vested interest in Hawaiian Telcom. My name is Jim and as I mentioned, I work in IT. I've partnered with an old friend in building »www.stateexampass.com , which is a site where we host online exam prep courses for electricians who are taking their state's test to obtain their state electrician's license. We launched with Hawaii, next will be NJ, and then all other states. As I've been working long hours building this site with my friend, I've been banging my head against the wall since we started in January as Road Runner problems (connectivity, speed) are ENDLESS. I'm really happy with HT and wanted to share that.

Stop by and check us out, try our demo exam. Mahalo.

Comments:

Review by gabrielpc See Profile

• Location: Kaneohe,Honolulu,HI
Good "Very reliable"
Bad "Presales was difficult - it seems sales staff is still unaware of all of the companys' product packages"
Overall "Fired Oceanic and switched to Hawaiian Telcom - haven't regreted the decision for a minute."

I'm on the stand alone DSL for business, 3m tier, my speeds average 2.7 down and 700k up. Technically faster than I was supposed to be able to achieve in my area. The install was new from the pole, and the installing technician was very efficient and knowledgeable. I did my own inside wiring from the demarc, the install is for my home office. I work for a technology consulting firm and was replacing my completely unreliable connection from Oceanic. Any of my clients asking about internet access I tell my Oceanic support horror stories to and rave about how well handled my order and install was with Hawaiian Tel –

Comments:

Review by macmack1

• Location: Ewa Beach,Honolulu,HI

Very reliable 3M tier (I get 2.6M down, 574KB up).
Recently tried to upgrade to 7M but the distance was too far.
They wouldn't offer me their 11M because of the distance.

(review was emailed from domain mac.com)

Comments:

Review by dantz See Profile

• Location: Honolulu,Honolulu,HI
Good "consistent and reliable"
Bad "occasional email problems (but none lately)"
Overall "recommended"

It just works. I did my own installation and have never needed to call tech support. The speed is more than adequate, although uploads are noticeably slower (as expected).

Comments:

Review by FLIPside808 See Profile

• Location: Honolulu,Honolulu,HI
Good "Never had any issues for about 3 years"
Bad "Couldn't really achieve my 11mbps that I signed up for"
Overall "Great service, good quality and very reliable"

Been on dsl with hawaiiantel here in hawaii is pretty good. Never had any issues with dsl. When i did had some called up the tech support and was nice about it and help me. Only issue that I saw was that I signed up for the 11mbps here in hawaii and was told that i qualified but when my account got activated for 11mbps I wasnt' receiving close to it. Onli could get bout 7.7mbps. Not really a big issue but other than that been realible internet. No issues what so ever and very friendly customer service.

Comments:

Review by mtafuso See Profile

• Location: Mililani,Honolulu,HI
Good "fast"
Overall "good service"

good

Comments:

Review by ksk001 See Profile

• Location: Honokaa,Hawaii,HI
Good "Very reliable. Good speed. Reasonable price."
Bad "Not as fast as cable."
Overall "Good value for reliable service."

Only Hawaiian Telcom DSL or satellite is available in my location. Of course, I opted for DSL at $29.95/month.

Turning on the service was a non-event. Any problems I've encountered or questions I couldn't answer were fielded and resolved quickly by tech support.

This DSL is not as fast as cable, but I average ~2500 kbps up and ~620 kbps down, which is fine for my needs.

They gave me a Westell 327 modem. I connect directly and my wife uses wireless through this modem and we are both very satisfied with it.

Comments:

Review by jtkrpm See Profile

• Location: Waipahu,Honolulu,HI
Good "reliable connection and steady connection speed"
Bad "Need Land line"
Overall "Not as fast down load as RR but more conistant and reliable. faster upload"

advertised as up to 3mb down and 7 somthing up. I'm getting around 2500 down and 6 somthing up

so not bad at all! with RR down load speeds were a bit faster 4mb down but upload was only around 300kbps. Road runner appreared to run slow at times, I mean slow as dial up. Surfing the web and going from page to page seems to be faster with DSL also. I noticed Road runner being slower with actual use the last time I switched from DSL to RR for a while.

I have the Hawaiian tel phone and DSL package for about 60 a month, unlimited long distance within the US and DSL. install was pretty fast considering I had no land line connected at the time of sign up. about 7 days. the Modem was given to me the day I signed. they did accidentally send me another modem though that I did have to return. I like the small DSL modem compared to the large Cable unit.

I went with Dish network for TV.. so over all its about the same price as cable tv and RR but

having had both DSL and RR over the years I find DSL is much better for me. No slow downs like I experianced with RR, Less down time (Ocianic must test there system around 6pm or something it was almost always down around that time for a few minutes)

Comments:

Review by cecep8 See Profile

• Location: Waianae,Honolulu,HI
Good "Rock solid service. Best I have used so far on the island."
Bad "Integrated WiFi on DSL router is buggy."
Overall "Fast and reliable service. Well worth the change."

Rock solid service. I have been very impressed. Actually, I didnt think the service would be this good considering I have been a long time cable user. My latency is lower and I haven't had a dropped or laggy connection in the month I have had it. Since my modem and router were on a somewhat large UPS, my service remained up during the power outage after the quake until the battery on the ups died 4 hours later.

The only gripe I had was that the wifi DSL router didnt perform to par with my existing integrated router. But, the Hawaiiantel tech support clued me into how to disable the wifi and router and I am back to my own gear.