Cox VOIP page on DSLReports

Review by jchambers28 See Profile

• Location: Alma,Crawford,AR
Good "does not cost $60 like it used to. Got new cordless phones for free."
Bad "Activation support was terriable took 2 hours of arguing with the activation DEPT"
Overall "Godd service for the price since the price dropped."

I ordered cox phone on Monday I picked up the self install kit and installed the phone in the Digital cable that part went well. I spent 2 hours arguing with the activations DEPT Because I have a Dcosis 3.0 modem and wanted to use it for my internet and the phone modem was a Docsis 2.0 modem. The reps I spoke with kept telling me you cannot have the Phone and the internet split between the 2 modems. I kept telling them I did not want to use my internet threw the phone modem because it's a Docsis 2.0 not a Docsis3.0 modem. I finally got pissed and spoke with a supervisor and told him what the issue was. He told me I had to do what the other reps so I said F**k you and F**k them and hung up. And called back to tech support for phone the activated my phone modem with no internet attached so no I have my phone and internet split between 2 modems.

The moral of the story is the phone activation DEPT sucks and phone support is Awesome. Here is the the modem I have.

member for 7.5 years, 4007 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by VegasCrew4 See Profile

• Location: Denham Springs,Livingston,LA
Good "Clear voice. never a problem"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "It just works"

I have the basic phone service. It has worked great for 7 years.

Comments:

Review by NomDeGuerre See Profile

• Location: Tempe,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Excellent cable and phone service quality"
Bad "Hidden fees a specialty!"
Overall "Don't ever become a victim; Cox will make you a poorer one."

No Unpaid Solution for Harassing Calls with Cox Phone

Somehow a couple of criminals obtained my phone number; one of them is identifiable as a scammer on Google by searching his phone number (yes, they were dumb enough to give their numbers to me).

One caller - this one from Los Angeles - claimed to be from Publishers Clearing House, informing me that I had won over $700,000. The other caller - Washington, DC - stated that I "had been trying to claim" an award for $700,000 and he wanted to help me receive it. Apparently $700,000 is the minimum that you win these days.

I reported this duo to the FCC, but they kept calling; I understand that the FCC can take up to a month to handle any reported issues. I called Cox and asked them to block these two numbers, and was informed that I could do that for a fee of somewhat over $3/month.

I asked the Cox representative which other unlawful nuisances I had the privilege of stopping for a fee. Cox then stated that I could pay for the number block for a month, and then drop it; however, if the Feds still hadn't acted the calls would resume. I was further told that this was all that Cox could do for me.

A third caller contacted me, and he hung up after I told him that I was reporting all such calls to the Federal Government. Hopefully that approach will work, because Cox won't help you at all with nuisance or harassing calls unless you open up your wallet.

Comments:

Review by Kakalaky See Profile

• Location: Broken Arrow,Tulsa,OK
Good "It works as expected"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Happy with the service so far"

Cox voip has worked exactly how I expected it would. A longer lasting battery backup would be nice though.

Comments:

Review by Dogfather See Profile

• Location: Laguna Hills,Orange,CA
Good "VoCable rules over POTS"
Overall "Cox VoCable has given me years of great service"

Web-site (3): Has information about the service but doesn't offer a lot of features that indy VoIP providers do.

Ease of install (5): I didn't have to do it. I've had Cox Digital Phone (VoCable platform) for years and it's not their newer VoIP service. This has an interface box on my NID that I believe is VoCable.

Call Quality (5): Better than POTS and is fully compatible with fax, data and burglar alarm systems. It's way better than the PacBell service I had before I switched.

Reliability (5): I can't recall a single outage in the many years I've had the service. We had a troublesome PacBell box at the end of the street that would fill with water so every time it rained the phones would go down or be so full of static that you couldn't use it.

Tech Support (5): Only needed to use them once to cancel a 2nd line. They were nice, answered quickly and cancelled the line without a hassle. This is a far cry from when I cancelled by Vonage business account. I had to start yelling at the retention jerk to get it through his thick skull that I was cancelling.

Value for Money (5): The price is good for what I get, which is more features and better reliability than POTS. Sure there are VoIP providers out there that are cheaper but the 2 I tried, ViaTalk and Vonage sucked serious ass and I wouldn't trust either for business or home service.

If you're in a VoCable serviced area like SoCal I would highly recommend this Cox Digital Phone. Again, this isn't their VoIP product, VoCable is a different cable telephony technology.

Comments:

Review by supergirl See Profile

• Location: Pensacola,Escambia,FL
Good "Have No Clue Which Cox Service I Have but Know It is VOIP"
Bad "Customer Service sucks unless you threaten PSC complaints"
Overall "If you have great cell service, they are good for a basic line"

Update Oct 2008

I called to cancel to a basic line and they gave me $24.95 for 1-year with everything. Call and complaing to switch or downgrade and they will give you the price. I did it since my cellphone was primary. But, if they can do it for that, do what I said!

---

It works whenever it wants to. POTS is reliable but Cox does have far better sound. It ain't worth no $55 (includes taxes).

YOU GET $20 IF THEY MISS AN APPOINTMENT! ASK FOR IT!

Website: If they don't screw up your login, it is nice. They screwed up mine 2 times in less than 3 months.

Install: No 911 for nearly 3 months and didn't know it. Since they didn't set it up right, it had to have the old address.

Call Quality: Would be a 5 if I didn't get errors when I call. Errors that don't tell you what's wrong. Bell got that at least right. They blame errors on everyone but them.

Tech Support: Phone support is worthless, less than zero. Pull your hair out, throw the phone against the wall, maybe rip the cable out and tell them to come get it.

Value for Money: It's become a Vonage experience. Only MagicJack could be worse. $55 with the discount on triple play. Boy, we get raped in Florida unless in FIOS land.

Their HSI is worth the money. Voip isn't even worth me writing this rant review.

Comments:

Review by reelbigfish See Profile

• Location: Meriden,New Haven,CT
Good "Less than AT&T for phone"
Bad "Cable Internet plus unlimited phone is more expensive after promo than phone and dsl from AT&T"
Overall "will update when service is fully up and running."

Ok. So things have gotten much better with Cox. It isn't VoIP as we know it, but it is CSV. The key here is that it isn't land line. It goes over regular copper into the basement and then into an Arris modem that transmits the data over the coax to Cox's network. So it isn't really VoIP like Vonage, but is traditional copper up the arris box and then sent using DOCSIS 2.0 Packet Cable specifications over the cable network. So on some level it is VoIP as the data uses the IP network to transmit the phone calls. So far things have been good and they did lower the price. I am paying the FCC line charge which I wasn't with Vonage, but this has stayed up in power outages unlike Vonage. It probably only lasts several hours, but thats better than nothing. The call quality is better than AT&T and on par with Vonage when it is working well. It is also $10 less than AT&T with taxes and fees included. The voice mail is good and it's nice to have everything on 1 bill. I would prefer to have the telephony modem in my house so I have control over it but this is the system they have here and I will have to live with it. I definitly recommend this service over AT&T.

In terms of AT&T being cheaper, they are, although you get Unlimited Local and Long Distance, you only get 3Mbps/512Kbps DSL, so it is cheaper but you get less speed. For 6Mbps/768Kbps it is actually more than Cox when taking into account all taxes and fees. To each his own, but I'm will to pay Cox for all my services and end up with faster internet that has been as reliable as the DSL as of late.

member for 12.4 years, 1780 visits, last login: 182 days ago