CMA Access page on DSLReports

Review by LC8290 See Profile

• Location: Cleveland,Liberty,TX
Good "reasonably priced"
Bad "consistency of signal quality"
Overall "decent service for the price"

No other broadband provider in the area unless you are close enough to CO for dsl. Cable TV stinks from them but the broadband is damn good. Ordering and installation were a breeze. Claims to be 6Mbps/512K. I've gotten speeds from 3300Kbps up to 5300Kbps and upload is consistent in the 400Kbps range. Never had any downtime in the past year so I don't know how good their tech support is.

-update 04/11/2012-
No problems so far. latest speed test says 5635kbps down and 489kbps up (Java via LA, CA). Still haven't had any downtime. Current price on bill states $46/month minus a promotional $11 plus franchise fee and tax brings the total monthly bill to $39.30. Outstanding!

-update 11/26/2012-
Have moved across town and access has now dwindled to 660kbps down and 462kbps up even though I am still paying for the same service. Will contact customer service to see if we can remedy this problem.

-update 04/08/2013-
Contacted customer service soon after the last update and they corrected the problem within two days. Since then speed has been consistent with the advertised speeds that I'm paying for. I also updated the price to reflect that I'm paying for basic cable and their 6/512K tier. The only problem I have is during peak hours when I experience hiccups with Netflix and gaming but these seem to have diminished over the course of time here.

The latest speed test:

Tested by server: 54 java
User: 805926 @ dslreports.com
User's DNS: cmaaccess.com

-update 2.28.2014-
CMA was bought out by Newwave Communications. Newwave sold me a 10Mbps/1 internet only deal for $45.99/month plus tax. I was paying about the same price for a 6Mbps/512Kbps before the buyout. For the first half of February during the winter storms there was a definite loss of service. Since then and in the past two weeks I have had a consistent connection allowing me to do the necessary.

Comments:

Review by manfmmd See Profile

• Location: Angleton,Brazoria,TX
Good "Good clean install. New drop from the tap on the line."

I had AT&T DSL (3006/512 for $34) since 2003 and CMA Access recently upgraded their infrastructure to DOCSIS 3, removed an expensive speed tier (7000/1000) and added a new speed tier CMA MAXX at 15000/1000 with a bumped up bandwidth cap of 200GB for $54.95 per month plus modem rental. So I cancelled AT&T.

I called in and was able to schedule the install on my day off(I think they could have installed it the day I called in, but I wanted to be there). My time was 8am-noon and the tech showed up @ ~8:35am. Everything with smoothly with the install. He installed a new drop from the tap all the way in. He was here ~2 hours with having to do the new line install.

Am getting the speeds promised: »speedtest.net/result/1945110362.png4

4/25/13

I've been on CMA for awhile now and things have been good to great. On the good side, while their service is pretty solid, I have had 3 or so outages since the installation. The service was down from 1 hour to 5 hours on those outages. Not sure what the resolution was or if I even need to know. On the great side, speed has been very consistent with CMA. In fact, most of the time I get almost 2Mbps upload...almost double the promised speed. Download speed with overhead has been rock solid at around 14.8Mbps with overhead. My only complaint is that I wish that CMA had peering agreements with Google/YouTube and other media sites so that that type of content would not buffer as much.

member for 11.9 years, 3857 visits, last login: 1.1 years ago

Comments:
grethomory

join:2013-06-08
Mansfield, LA

CMA - Horrible

They are the absolute worst cable company I have seen in my life and the thing is they are the only deal in town...and they know it. Working from home has been a nightmare...outtages on a consistent basis. Usually on Tues & Wed, but sometimes Friday.

Review by SHergenrader See Profile

• Location: Shreveport,Caddo,LA
Good "Fast speed for a low price"
Bad "Slow during peak hours"
Overall "Very good ISP for your money"

CMA Access is a very good Cable ISP for the price. I pay 34.95 for 1024 kbps down and 512 kbps up. Connection is very reliable except speed slows down considerably during peak hours. Went to the local main office in my city on a Friday and had an installer out to my house Monday morning. Overall I recommend this ISP to anyone looking to get a broadband connection for a low price.