NBTel now Aliant page on DSLReports
No six month summary.
Closed to new reviews.

Review by AntBee See Profile

• Location: Moncton,NB
Good "Great Tech Support, available most times"
Bad "Disconnected more often from service since Bell took over; Expensive in comparison to US ISPs"
Overall "Good, have no other choice really, except Rogers, and I hate them, so I am with BellAliant which is the lesser of two evils."

I have Ultra High Speed, whatever that means anymore. It's not light or regular. Aliant was my only consideration, since I have unlimited hatred for all things Rogers.

Install was no problem, I did it myself. I did have trouble at first with my connection. For some reason or another, the modem/router (Speedstream 5260) settings had to be different for Macs since Aliant became BellAliant. Had a really bad random disconnect problem at first, but got that resolved after I had a technician come in and fix my lines, which he did at no charge.

Otherwise, the service has been pretty much painless.

I switched over to BellAliant's new Fibre Op Internet service Summer 2012, and it is wicked fast, and I don't even have their top tier service! I'm glad I made the switch, as there are virtually no service interruptions, have not had to call tech support even once. I signed up with a three month deal, and after the deal, the price went up significantly. I knew what I was in for, but it still hurts to shell out that kind of cash for Internet. But the speeds... WOW!

member for 11.6 years, 1991 visits, last login: 104 days ago

Comments:

Review by arsenaum52 See Profile

• Location: Moncton,NB
Good "no caps or time limits for internet"
Bad "On screen TV guide needs fine tuning but still quite good"
Overall "With no D/L caps best bet for huge D/L'S and streaming"

Switched to Fibre Op 2.0. Went with 70/30 internet and full package for TV. Can now download at 70 mbps. Just incredible. No cap and unlimited online time. Whole package with phone is $99.95 for first 3 months and $169.95 after special ends. Still very good value when compared to Rogers and other ISP's. Install went smoothly and took about an hour and half as building was rewired for Fiber.

Have had it now for a month and very satisfied. TV picture very clear in HD and download speeds are as advertised.

Comments:

Review by DabberDan See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Symetrical FTTH, unthrottled and cap-less internet!"
Bad "Bell branding"
Overall "Best bang for you dollar"

Good points: FTTH, unthrottled and cap-less internet. If you're within distance for Aliant internet, why some are with Rogers is beyond me for just this. I get the advertised speeds of symetric 15Mbps each way.

The modem/gateway for FTTH is quite decent with gigabit ports and 802.11n. It's also enjoyable to upload to Youtube at the same speed as I download.

I do not see any points to go with Rogers if you can get Aliant FTTH (or even DSL).

I get the typical bundle without TV (home phone and FTTH, 15Mbps).

Comments:

Review by habskilla See Profile

• Location: Moncton,NB
Good "Excellent speed. Good support"
Bad "Wish it was free :)"
Overall "If you can order FibreOp get it!"

Edit May 16, 2011 to review FibreOp.
Install date was May 13, 2011. Technician showed up at 9:15 AM and completed the install at 3 PM. All the equipment was installed inside the house. The tech ran into many problem because the service was not provisioned properly. By the end of the day, all install issues were worked out.

I ordered the TV, phone, and the 70 Mb/30 Mb internet package. I got the promo price of 3 months @$99 then $162 for the next 9 months.

The TV package included upgrade to mediaroom v1.6. TV works very well with the new software.

The phone was a winback from Vonage. I very sorry to let Vonage go. FibreOp still uses copper for phone. That said, it's nice to have POTs quality back.

Internet is screaming fast. Download is as advertised at 70 Mb down. Astraweb has no problem maxing out my download with just 8 connections. On the upload site, I've easily maxed out the upload via utorrent. The service is UNCAPPED and UNTHROTTLED.

Living in a small town in Eastern Canada usually means we're a bit behind the times, but when it comes to FTTH, we are leading all of Canada.

End of FibreOp review.

Review of Internet MAX pre FibreOp install:
I live in a neighbourhood where there is FTTN which means I can get Aliant TV. Until recently, if you had TV and only could get Ultra which is 7 Mb down but the upload is ~1.7 Mb. Aliant upgraded something and now TV people can get MAX for an extra $5 a month.

MAX is advertised as 15 Mb down 1 Mb up. But in reality, you get 28 Mb down and 1.7 Mb up shared between your TV and internet. No TV, then all of the speed goes towards your internet

With no TVs on, I get 28 Mb download. With one HDTV and one SDTV on, I get ~17 Mb. That sounds great, but it gets better.

The speeds are consistent night or day, never a slow down. Now for the best part. Aliant internet is UNCAPPED and UNTHROTTLED.

If you live a FTTN area, get MAX and enjoy a screaming fast, reliable, uncapped, and unthrottled connection.

PS As good as MAX has been, I'm dropping it. I'm dropping it for FTTH, Aliant FibreOp. I've ordered the 70 Mb down and 30 Mb up. I can't wait!!!!

member for 8.8 years, 2673 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Stojko See Profile

• Location: St John'S,NL
Good "Speed is good, no caps yet"
Bad "It's Bell. Horrible company, horrible pricing, horrible support, you get the picture."
Overall "If/when they introduce UBB in Atlantic Canada, worthless. Alright while it lasts I guess."

Speed and latency generally consistent, no bandwidth caps in Atlantic Canada yet, but prices continue to go up and you're dealing with Bell - a turn off on its own. I'm sure they'll introduce usage-based billing to Aliant customers sooner or later, then we're as equally screwed as everyone else. Customer support/tech support is awful, connection has went down a few times, Bell Aliant thanks for you for "choosing" them - unfortunately for a lot of people there isn't much choice involved.

Comments:

Review by darthbobo See Profile

• Location: Moncton,NB
Good "No caps, constant speed, reliable"
Bad "Could be a bit cheaper, support line wait can be annoying"
Overall "Solid service with very little to complain about"

My family and I have been with Bell Aliant for over 10 years and have never had any issues serious issues with our internet service. When there were issues, I was able to speak with their support line representative generally within a reasonable amount of time (although sometimes the wait can seem quite a bit longer and be quite annoying).

Constant speed is exactly as advertised and the fact that there are no caps are a lifesaver to my family and I, especially since Netflix started in Canada (I can imagine breezing through Rogers ridiculously low cap in a few days).

There isn't that much competition in Canada in regards to ISP's, but you could do a lot worse thant Bell Aliant (IE: Rogers!)

Comments:

Review by DrunkScot See Profile

• Location: E3G0E1
Good "Consistent connection."
Bad "Variable speed."
Overall "Not worth the money, but better than Rogers."

As listed, the speed is variable but the connection is always up. It's expensive, but cheaper and better than Rogers with their data caps. I could upgrade to fibre but why, especially considering the cost.

Order and install was relatively easy except you need local phone service to get the internet service which seems a little ridiculous.

Equipment supplied is basic, ie no wireless, but functional and upgrade equipment is expensive to rent.

Overall, not horrible but some consistency in speed would be appreciated.

Comments:

Review by Sarcophagus See Profile

• Location: Fredericton,NB
Good "No throttling"
Bad "Not enough speed"
Overall "Enough to get by, but can't wait for fibre optics in the next few months"

A steady service, but the speed is too slow. I can't wait for fibre optics to roll out here in Fredericton within the next few months!

Comments:

Review by Hellcat1st See Profile

• Location: Moncton,NB
  • Telco party Allegiance Telecom
Good "Steady & reliable connection"
Bad "When service goes down there is no phone notification"
Overall "Good value for the money. consistent speed no matter what time of day"

Aliant Ultra High speed is by far the most reliable compared to the competition which is cable. Aliant Ultra is advertised as a 5 mbps download and 640 kbps and I consistantly receive 5 mbps download and 545 kbps upload throughout the day, even during peak times. I have the added value package which gives me long distance phone calling at 5 cents per minute, free virus checker and TV on my PC.

In December 2008 Aliant started to throttle back my connection but still can't complain as the line is steady and down times are rare. Most times my connection speed is still 5 mbps download. Although Aliant is cutting back on services and raising their rates their Vibe Ultra is still a good value for the money.

Here is a link to my test history -

»/testhistory/871398/4131a

member for 10.9 years, 2246 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Samson27 See Profile

• Location: Bathurst,NB
Good "Stable and reliable"
Bad "Can't seem to get above 5 Mb/sec"
Overall "As good as one can expect"

I use the Ultra - have tried to tweak to get above 5 mb/sec Seems to be upper limit - overall very satisfied but would like the ablity to use tweaks etc to improve performance just for the sake of doing it