Suddenlink page on DSLReports

Review by cdarena65 See Profile

• Location: Bossier City,Bossier,LA
Good "When it works, fast internet and decent phone"
Bad "It doesn't always work - frequent outages and network congestion"
Overall "Caveat Emptor - let the buyer beware"

Overall I am satisfied with Suddenlink in Bossier City, but there are times when I feel like pulling my hair out.

I cut the cord on Cable TV service a few years ago, and now subscribe only to high speed internet ($52/mo) and VOIP phone ($25/mo "for life" - which may not be such a good thing with prices dropping).

"high speed" is officially 12MBps download speed, and 1.5MBps up; I have sometimes clocked as high as 14MBPs down, and 1.2 MBps is a more realistic average upload speed. This is normally plenty of speed for watching 2 on-line shows at once (CBS or Netflix), checking email and some web surfing, and light online gaming - all at once, on 4 devices. Downloading large ISO files (like the latest Linux flavor) is pretty darn fast. And uploading video to Youtube... well, I do that at night when I'm sleeping - adequate.

A word about VOIP (Voice over internet protocol): I made this decision based on $100 phone bills - now I'm down to $25 a month plus maybe $20 in (international) long distance calls. At the time, I was worried "what happens when the power goes out - does my phone go dead?". The response I got was "Here's a Telephony cable modem with a built-in battery to provide power."

The reality of VOIP: When my connection speed drops (and oddly enough it is usually the Download side that drops - the Upload side is rarely affected), people on the other end complain that my voice sounds Roboty or cuts out. And that backup battery works great when My House loses power, but does Nothing when the Neighborhood loses power - apparently the rest of the VOIP telephony network is NOT battery backed up.

Outages: Okay, with any network there are bound to be outages, and "in general" Suddenlink is pretty good about fixing them. From 2000 until December 2014 I had maybe one outage every 2 months - barely noticeable unless you really needed the internet at that minute. But come December 2014, some curse seems to have hit my network: I had repeated outages, usually internet only, but sometimes including the phone. Usually 1-5 outages a day - I know, because one of my online games shows a "lost connection" error in the chat log, and my wife would tell me at lunch that the Internet and phone went out that morning.

Performance: I pay for 15MBps download, and that's pretty much what I have come to expect, and for the most part received for the past 14 years. But the past few months there have been times that my speed degrades to 1MBps - causing issues with video, slow page-load times, and robot voice. Tonight is one of those nights - I called Suddenlink to report the issue and... well this deserves its own section.

Technician competence: Here is a typical experience (from tonight). Call Suddenlink, and suffer through the ads for "WWE (pay-per-view?)". Maneuver through the voice-mail menus reminding you to reset your Modem, Router, and Computer. Next you wait on hold "for the next available agent" - and suffer through a bunch of ads proclaiming how fantastic Suddenlink TV, Phone, and Internet are - and how reliable they are too. When the agent actually answers, again suffer through the whole "reset your modem" routine. Listen as the agent arranges to have a technician sent out at the earliest time - in 4 days. (Hopefully this issue will resolve itself in less than 4 days, considering it worked just fine an hour ago) When I tried to give him more info to help diagnose the problem (I mentioned I had run several speed tests) he replied "how hard is was to get an accurate speed test over WiFi." (paraphrased)

FYI - I do not have WiFi connected tonight (for security I rarely do). And to get an accurate "snapshot" speed test, all one has to do is disconnect any router or switch and directly connect a PC (preferably running a minimum of network related services) to your modem and run a speed test: immediate accurate results unaffected by any other network devices. Was the technician assuming I had a WiFi router, or spouting tech-babble to attempt to impress his customer? For reference, I have a Bachelor's in IT and hold Comptia certifications in A+, Network+, and Security+. My current job covers all those areas, so in a nutshell I Know Networking.

False Advertising? You be the judge: I recently saw a cable ad at work for Suddenlink phone - a little girl called 911 on a cell phone, and the emergency operator asks if she can call back on a land line. (Intimating that Suddenlink Phone service is far more reliable than that ancient Cell Phone technology). While waiting on hold for Suddenlink Tech Support you will probably be bombarded by more ads touting how reliable and superior Suddenlink services are. Which is Ironic, considering I am usually calling Suddenlink from a cell phone because my Suddenlink phone and internet are out... Maybe not false advertising, but it is Really Annoying to hear how "reliable" something is while you are on hold for 45 minutes to report your phone & internet outage! (Did I mention how the cell phone miraculously stayed connected the whole time?)

Competition: As of February 2015, AT&T U-Verse also services my neighborhood offering a comparable plan for internet+phone; After my recent troubles I am tempted to give them a try; I suspect if these problems keep up I may be giving them a call.

Update: To give them the benefit of the doubt, I ran some more speed tests about 90 minutes afterwards, and I'm up to 3.6MBps and 4.9MBps; still not above 10MBps and its well after midnight now.

Update 2: (In the interest of fairness) about 3 hours later I am up to 16MBps down/1.6MBps up. This is "normal" but remember this is but a snapshot in time - 5 minutes ago my video was buffering in the middle of a show. (Usually I buffer at the beginning and the video will then play flawlessly) Do I suspect someone at Suddenlink did something "techno-magical?" No - I suspect it was either general line conditions or a partial outage that was resolved; time will tell. I just wish the reliability in 2015 was what it used to be from 2000 til 2014.

Update 3: 2-28 2015 Last night noticed another bad down-spike. Both up and down speeds dropped below 300KBps for about 30 minutes. I suspect that Suddenlink either has too many hosts on my current network segment (congestion due to poor network analysis and failure to upgrade link speeds), or else some there is sort of bandwidth shaping in effect for higher-tier users (WHICH WOULD BE ILLEGAL following the 26 Feb Net Neutrality ruling). Regardless, these interruptions and consistently re-occuring slow speed periods make a strong argument for failing to fulfill their side of the contract. (Or if you want to quote the TOS double-speak back at me, then a strong case can be made for false advertisement; doubly so when you add in the frequent outages and have to listen to how great Suddenlink's Telephony service is while you are forced to call Tech Support from a cell phone!)

Update 4: 2-28 2015 (11 PM) Here we go again. Sudden lag in response from the simple point-and-click online game I am playing; 10 minutes ago it was fine. Speedtest (to a Suddenlink server in Lake Charles, LA!) shows 300KBps down speed, and 1MBps up speed. (I am subscribed for 15MB down/1.5MB up) And I hear my wife's youtube video pausing/resuming in the background. For reference, after the speed test my router shows far less than 100KBps of actual outgoing traffic at the moment, so it is not some mysterious background traffic, and I have no wifi so nobody is sneaking onto my router. This is what I mean by re-occuring - it seems like every evening sometime after 9:30PM my download speed drops far below normal. If it stayed above 4MBps I probably wouldn't notice unless I was downloading something huge - I'm talking about a painful 90% or more reduction in speed - visually obvious.

Update 5: 3/10/2015 10:50PM Okay, tonight it is so bad that my first attempt at a speed test and the page couldn't even load the graphics or the speedtest applet. My second attempt: the applet loaded but froze when selecting the nearest server based on ping. In the other room, my wife's Youtube show sounds like 2 kids fighting over the mute button on a remote. Logging in to do this update was painful. Come on, Suddenlink - I'm paying for 15MB, and I'm lucky to get 15KBps tonight... Why in the hell would I even consider paying for an upgrade to 50MB? So you could rip me off for even more bandwidth? There ought to be a MINIMUM speed on these packages.

Update 6: 3/13/2015 10:41PM Sigh - it was acceptable all day today, then at 10:20 or so, bandwidth dropped below 1MBps. Went to check in the other room, and it crept back up to 17MBps. 10:30 it dropped again - so badly I could not load DSLReports at all. Came back up to 8MBps, then went down again to the point that Speedtest would not even run. Up again... then down again around 10:40PM. Speed tests are all over the place. Tried pinging my DNS server, DSLReports, and Google.com - fast results but a bunch of dropped pings as well. Now (10:45) it seems to be back up again, at least for the moment. 10:50PM - spoke too soon... another 1 minute dropout. 11PM - Been completely down more than up the past 10 minutes. Tried 6 times to get a Speedtest with no luck, then 13MB downspeed. The speed graph looks like a jagged sawblade, with drops down to zero, then at the end a steady climbing hill. I wait until I hear steady video in the other room before pressing update on the review.

Comments:

Postal1982

@cebridge.net

No problems here.

I have sudden Link and I get 50 MB down and a sad 3 Mb up. I have a great ping on speedtest.net of 8-10 ping and the speed has never been below 47.5 mb.
cdarena65

join:2015-02-23

Re: No problems here.

I've had Suddenlink since I got here to Bossier City 16 years ago - heck, it wasn't even Suddenlink then, it was Cox Cable (who was bought out lock stock and barrel by Suddenlink - I kept the same line, modem, and everything), but up until this year I've never had an outage or problem lasting more than a day or two. The past three months have been like torture - just fine most of the day, then in the evening Daddy Suddenlink finds the bottle of Scotch and the evening is ruined - have to wait until he passes out in a few hours.
SDLashley1

join:2011-07-19

Suddenlink Help

Hi cdarena65 - My name is Ashley, and I'm with Suddenlink. I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing issues with your Internet service. I'd be happy to work with our Management team in your area to investigate this issue. Please feel free to email me directly with your account address - my email is: socialsupport-AT-suddenlink-DOT-com. Thank you, -Ashley

Review by RHWV See Profile

• Location: Lashmeet,Mercer,WV
Good "Fast speeds, and reliable connection."
Bad "Data caps, extremely anti-consumer."
Overall "Only choose Suddenlink if your only other option is broadband."

I called Suddenlink after having Frontier for over six years, and decided to take the leap. I asked my technician, and call rep if they had any caps, and I was told no by both. Around two months later I get a little message at the top of my screen informing me that I had gone over my bandwidth cap for the second time. I called Suddenlink, and was informed that I have 250GB of data allowed per month, and that for the last two months I had reach upwards of 600GB. My first instinct was to cancel, but my only other option was Frontier, and their speeds were extremely outdated. (6/.7) So I decided to just upgrade my internet to 107/7.5, which now allows me to use 400GB per month. I had to cancel Netflix, Hulu, HBGO, and I now have to keep an eye on how much I watch YouTube. If another ISP comes to my town Suddenlink will have to get rid of their data caps for me to even consider keeping them as my ISP. I recommend for everyone with Suddenlink to file a FCC report on their data caps, so hopefully we can get data caps removed from all ISPs.

In closing, Suddenlink is anti-consumer to the point that I wouldn't recommend them to anyone that has any option other than broadband.

Comments:

Review by derpygirl See Profile

Good "When it works: It's great "
Bad "Like I said, when it works. That's rare. "
Overall "Honestly? Buyer Beware "

Okay, back around 2011: My family got Suddenlink internet after dropping AT&T because they charged us a fortune. At first it worked pretty well. It was fast, it was reliable, and it was pretty okay. Sure, there were outages a few times but overall, it worked okay.

That is until we got the cable added in with the Tivo Box. Now for them to do this, they had to put in a cable that ran outside across the backyard. They said they would get someone to bury it in a month's time. They didn't actually do that until 5 months later, when our dogs chewed up the cable and ruined both the cable and the internet.

Once it was buried, it was okay. Until around 2014, when it just started dropping like crazy from 12pm - 5 pm. Now for me, I use the internet constantly for web surfing, gaming and just being social with my friends. However, most of the time I have to wait until the connection stabilizes to do anything. Even when we call Tech Support to come look at our service and see what the problem is, we have to be on hold for 45 minutes or longer for them to keep asking us if we reset our modem. Which we have: SEVERAL TIMES.

The last time we called them, we were given the whole treatment: listening to a robot voice, waiting forever to actually get a person to talk to us, them asking us if we reset our modem and then finally someone asking what was wrong. After talking for awhile, we got someone to come over at 4-6 pm. Which for my family, that's difficult because no one is really home until after 5. It didn't matter because they didn't show up until 6:30 pm about 30 minutes before their shift ended. Really, they just stood there and did what we've done several times and told us it was nothing.

Now, it barely connects to either of our devices. All of our phones, our Mac, the three Windows laptops in the house and my niece's Samsung tablet. The Tivo Box works fine but the internet doesn't.

Honestly, I don't know what happened between those times but nothing has been working. The customer service is really shoddy. The connection is unreliable, especially during a storm [ rain or snow ]. The speed is slower than molasses in January half the time and it feels like we're not getting our money's worth.

It can work, but most of the time it doesn't for us. So, if it works for you: then you're lucky. From what I've seen with multiple reviews, this internet isn't the best as they advertise. But hey, it may just be us and the area we live in. We don't know, we can't get a solid answer out of them.

Comments:
totalradio

join:2007-09-15
·Windstream

And don't expect to get an answer.

Suddenlink has a bad habit of providing lip service to its customers. I run a computer service company and I started getting complaints from some Suddenlink customers. They all had the same problem, and started calling their "tech support". They're neither "tech" or "support", got the run around, the obligatory "we're sorry but there's nothing we can do". Until...

I decided to take it just a little further up on the pecking order within the company. Did a little research, and got a couple of key email addresses. So, I took a shot at it to see what might happen.

This was on January 5, 2015 around 8:30am. I explain my problems in detail (forcefully) and "explained" what was about to happen. Like magic, around 11:00am that same day, the problems were being tended to and by the end of the next business day, all was well.

If you want to try what I did, just shoot me a PM and I'll give ya a couple of folks you can email. If it worked for me, it just might work for you.

Review by JBrown11 See Profile

• Location: Wayne,Wayne,WV
Good "Internet and Phone very few issues love the speed increase"
Bad "Cable TV nuff said"
Overall "Continued price increases on Cable TV CSRs are not knowledgeable"

My current services at time of the review is

Triple Play - Includes: SL200, High Speed Internet 50.0, Home Phone Unlimited $144.94 (TiVo Q included - Increases $5.00 in April will be $149.94)

Family Package -$8.00 (Increases $1.00 in April will be $9.00)

Safeguard -$4.99

TiVo Mini - $7.00

SL DigitaLink - $0.00

Broadcast Station Surcharge - $4.59 (Increases $3.07 in April will be $7.66)

Sports Programming Surcharge - $0.00 (Will begin to charge $3.00 in April)

Now I have been a loyal cable subscriber in my area since 2006 before Charter sold the area to Suddenlink (known as Cebridge at the time) that is 9 years as a cable & internet subscriber and I was one of the first to sign up for their telephone service dropping Frontier Communications in my area.

Not many people liked Charter at that time but I never had issues with Charter and always had my issues resolved. That turned bad when Suddenlink took over later in 2006. Just some history with Suddenlink:

With Charter I had their "Biggest" programming package all premiums, all digital tiers, 3 converter boxes (2 DVR 1 Standard) Basic Internet. When Suddenlink took over they increased the speed of the internet to 10 MB and I called to take advantage of the new speed tier. My cable TV and Internet were not in a double play package with Charter and when Suddenlink took over I was in a grandfathered TV package I asked several CSRs before upgrading Internet if it would break my Cable TV package I was assured I would keep my current TV package so I upgraded the Internet only. The next month I get the bill increased 100% and I was now paying full price for Basic/Expanded Basic all three digital tiers and all three premium services and for all three boxes. I called to ask what happened and was told where I changed my internet speed I broke the grandfather package and couldn't get it back. After threatening to cancel I get the "Silver Value Bundle" which included Basic, Exp Basic, One converter, One tier) I had to drop all my other services to return my bill to normal

My second strike with Suddenlink came when they introduced TiVo in my area. I asked how much a TiVo HD DVR would be and was told it wouldn't increase my bill I was like okay lets do it. Again I get a nice surprise the price of my SD DVR goes from $9.99 to $16.00 and I now have the extra HD tier of channels at an additional cost. I found this out by checking the Recent Activities section they USED to have on their website. I spend 3 hours on the phone to get the HD pack removed and even after speaking with a manger that told me the SD DVR price would go back down to $9.99. I leave for work then come home at 2am to find that the SD DVR had all of its functions disabled I called tech support and they told me I canceled the SD DVR service earlier in the day and a tech would be out the next day to swap boxes. After spending another 3 hours on the phone with a Tech Manger that was rude they finally re-instate my SD DVR service at the price of $9.99/mo with the Manager being rude telling me I was lucky I called when I did as they charge $16 for any DVR.

Four months ago I called Suddenlink because I was tired of paying the same price for cable service after the Viacom channels were dropped my bill was over $200/mo I call into Billing and ask for a breakdown of my services and their respective charges. The CSR was rude telling me that the TiVo, Family Pkg and Wire Maintenance was extra at that point I wanted a supervisor who gave me the breakdown I wanted and gave me a one year discount to bring my bill down to the current price.

And now I see the increases for the Cable TV portion again I understand Suddenlink is a business however after dropping Viacom channels which are being claimed as expensive my bill is set to increase by $12.07 which brings it close to the $200 mark again. I always try to see value in what I am paying but after talking with two CSRs I don't see the value in this anymore. Their main points:

- If we kept the Viacom channels your bill would have increased 18% instead of the 5% and DirecTV just had a 5% increase to their services

- The Broadcast surcharge is for your local networks and the price they charge us to carry them

- The Sports surcharge is for dedicated sports networks like ESPN and for general entertainment channels like TNT, USA and CBS that carry sports. Apparently this has always been there Suddenlink just ate the cost of this surcharge until now.

Now these explanations have turned me off their Cable TV Service they honestly have because according to the CSRs I am now paying 3 different times for Locals (Basic, Broadcast Surcharge and Sports). Suddenlink in this area carries the LEAST amount of sports programming compared to Comcast, DirecTV and Dish that carry BOTH regional sports networks in my area.

Now Comcast does charge a Broadcast fee but it is nowhere near the $7 Suddenlink will begin to charge. Both Comcast and DirecTV carry a "sports" fee in my area but again with those two companies it is a "Regional Sports Fee"

I am now looking into other options as this is ridiculous I'm not spending this much money on cable tv and if it wasn't for my grandmother and mother living at my second home I would so ditch the TV part completely and go with streaming. I refuse to pay over $10 in surcharges for the same channels I already pay for in my SL200 package. I also will not pay an additional $1 for the damn family tier when they removed channels from it to put on the SL 200 lineup and added lower rated networks to the family tier.

FXX, Great American Country, Hallmark Movies and Mysteries, OWN, and UP were already availble in either Sports, Family or Movie tier

Game Show Network was a channel they dropped along with POP (then known as TVGN) then readded after the Viacom dispute

Pivot, Sprout, & TheBlaze were the only "new" channels they added

The replacement digital channels most of them are a joke and I know all the new channel additions/moves do not equal the amount they were previously paying Viacom.

Comments:

Review by Hinkster See Profile

• Location: Elkview,Kanawha,WV
Good "No lapse in Service during transition to cable telephone service"
Bad "When there is a problem they are difficult to reach. No phone or net."
Overall "Wish there were more competition for better rates"

Once you can get in touch with them problems are resolved quickly.

I have added their phone service and amazingly my phone lines are clear without continuous pops and cracks that neither verizon nor ATT could ever repair. F the damn phone companies and may they die slow withering deaths as they lose customer after customer to better rates, service, and quality.

Kudos to Suddenlink because they appear the next day or that day to repair what it takes Verizon 2 weeks to get to. I was without telephone for 4 weeks last summer waiting for them to get to me and then fix the phone. If that had been my internet service I would have been irate.

member for 11.9 years, 5306 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dd31879 See Profile

• Location: Boyce,Rapides,LA
Good "Can call them anytime for support (for whatever that is worth)"
Bad "Packet loss and Peak Hours cause substantial loss in speed"
Overall "Suddenlink is the only service in the area and is better then dial-up."

2015 review update:

My Suddenlink cable internet has been nothing but trouble!

Speed:
My internet speed in the evening is horrible. It is what they like to call "peak hour" speed drop. I can understand this. Everyone being on the same line at the same time causes a lot of traffic. However, there should be NO EXCUSE for my internet dropping from 15Mb to 3Mb. That is an insane amount of drop. I could pay for Satelite internet and be getting faster "overall" performance then that.

My internet during peak hours likes to show up with packet loss. Note though that its not anything to do with my equipment or the lines from my house to the pole. Many technicians have been to my house and many have walked away with the words "Well, I'm sorry I could not find anything" or "I'm sorry to have wasted your time."

Occasionally my internet will decide to just cut out while I am in the middle of doing things. Which is extremely annoying when you are trying to do online college courses. It doesnt cut out nearly as much as some of the times in 2014, but it still happens on occasion.

Support:
Phone support seems lack luster. All they are trained to do is restart the modem and that is it. There is no real "technical help" that knows anything. Ive did my share of phone support and dollars to donuts none of them have any experience in ITT. They are just reading a predetermined script.

They seem to be very zealous in sending technicians to the house even when one just was there. Left hand not talking to the right hand? Seems like a very serious miscommunication. If the technician that was just sent did not find anything wrong then why send another? ..and another? ..and another? It makes no sense at all.

Comments:

elana

@myvzw.com

lost signal

I have only had cable for 18 months but I would say the signals probably gone out six or eight times it always happens in perfect weather like tonight. It seems almost pointless to call them because I don't fit into the business or the residential category since I am NOT a business and the apartment complex pay for our cable

nobueno12

@spcsdns.net

internet connection speed

All my family uses is internet. We have no use for cable or a home phone. We have been with suddenlink for 7 months and been throttled 5 out of the 7. Yes, we stream a decent amount of movies and shows. But this is annoying. And frustrating being that in the military I work hard for my pay. My wife and I both go to college and my sons use abc mouse. With my wifes second job needing voice over IP. It gets frustrating.

Review by Assassinx See Profile

• Location: Mammoth Lakes,Mono,CA
Good "Listens to their customers with more upgrades coming soon."
Bad "Nothing Anymore as of 2-13-2015"
Overall "Get Suddenlink Internet if you can in the Inyo/Mono Area -"
(ratings well above consensus)

Updated Review as of - 2-13-2015

Internet Price is $55 a month for the 50/3 and now that they have upgraded my node and they have upgraded the Servers at the central office speeds are consistent even when it is busy in town.

Install Process was smooth and easy. Very well coordinated.

Nothing is supplied unless you want to rent a modem at 5$-10$ a month. (just buy your own Modem and Router)

After calling and complaining and getting Tier 3 support I was finally given a call back by a nice technician who explained the issues I was having were due to an Overloaded Node. He explained they had ordered new equipment but it wouldn't be installed for a while (This was in December 2014). I got a call saying they were going to bring the network down on Thursday night 12:00AM for upgrades on the 13th of February 2015. After the upgrades went into place I have not had a single issue and speeds are very consistent. There is talk of upgrades again this summer for 107Mbps down and 5-10Mbps up.

I complained to the prior to the upgrades which I actually got a call back not to long after. It appears suddenlink definitely is working to help out the customers. If there are problems in your area report it to LEVEL 3 tech support and they should be able to help out. (Know that sometimes upgrades will take 3-6 months)

Thanks Suddenlink for resolving ALL my issues. I highly recommend their service now.

Comments:

linicx
Caveat Emptor
join:2002-12-03
United State
·DIRECTV
·TracFone Wireless

If you are

If you are only paying $70 for 50/3 then kiss them. I'm paying close to $100 for 10/1.

They all oversell the service, charge too much, and have poor tech support. If you do not live in LA or SF or SD, or San Jose be greatful for what you do get. I live in an area where dialup speed is the norm for CL and the other net providers. Most are a duopoly of phone companies. They all collude on price, speed, territory, and scheme to keep competition out of our small towns. ~ Lived it in small town America for too many years.
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

Review by monster87 See Profile

• Location: Royse City,Rockwall,TX
Good "In the beginning, they were a fundamentally a good cable isp. Since 2011, they've gone downhill, and have now reached bottom"
Bad "DATA CAPS (Ridiculous!); My bill has jumped from $77 to $120 because I went over the friggin data cap"
Overall "Their internet is the worst I've ever had. It goes out 5-9 times a day, every day. Actively choose to avoid this comapny."

Avoid this company like the plague. They jacked the over the cap fee from $5 per 50mb to something much higher without any meaningful notification.

Comments:

Review by cutepuppy See Profile

• Location: Haughton,Bossier,LA
Good "The service has been fairly reliable."
Bad "Monthly bandwidth caps. Communication before the installation process could have been better."

The service with Suddenlink has been decent. I haven't had many issues with reliability.

My issues are with the monthly bandwidth caps. Faster service is offered up to 100Mb/s; however, the same monthly bandwidth cap of 250GB is enforced regardless of speed. So there is no incentive to order faster service. If they offered any tiers with unlimited bandwidth, that would be hard to pass up. But, as it is currently, I will pass.

In addition, during the installation process, the installer tells me after most of the work was completed, that he would need to collect the first month, plus installation fee ($75.00 total) up front. I was never told this when I ordered the service. I assumed that it would be billed. I don't know if it makes a difference, but Suddenlink outsourced the install, so maybe that played a role.

Comments:

azbuddy
join:2002-01-17
Colcord, WV

Disappointed With Suddenlink

Suddenlink promised customers a free speed increase with no specific info on what from speed to the free upgrade, anyway we never seen it. This is one of 3 residences my family has with Suddenlink spending close to 500 a month not including my elderly parents. It is sad when you loose service because you loose it all, TV, internet and phone. One would think that they could provide 360 service meaning that if you loose a signal from on direction it would back up and proved service from the opposite direction, Possible? Unsure? I would be curious if this could be accomplished. More importantly when you then have no way of contacting anyone in the event of a sick parent needing emergency care. We would be better off with copper land lines and may very well switch to Frontier. What good is a emergency device if you cannot get dial tone. They dont tell you this in the commercials. The batteries in most outside units (large metal boxes you see on poles that send the signals) are bad so when you loose power and have a generator you still have no device or have minimal service lasting less than 30-45 minutes until the batteries die. Where we are located there is no cell service either. They are constantly bragging about their commitment to customers and the increases rise as well. Always offering new customer a much better monthly payment than a user that has had service for years. They are always adding new channels most don't want or need wishing there were at least 5-7 different packages to control what we watch and not watch, allowing us to try and control our bill based on what we do watch because most channels now just play reality tv garbage or useless shows to fill time (including TWC), Just disappointed... we all 3 have 15/1.5 and was hoping for the speed upgrade. We live in a very rural area of WV, zip 25060/25209. and have 2 choices. Oh and please don't try and make me feel like your giving me something that your required to do such as crediting the account if needed for a outage or crediting my account if the tech does not arrive, this should be standard policy and not use it in commercials like you are doing us a favor. On a better note channel quality is usually always good. I would also like to see Suddenlink review accounts with lets say 2 TiVo reveivers and provide alternative equipment option to reduce your monthy cost without 2 receivers. If I had a clear line of site I would go with DirectTV Thank for reading, like I said earlier I am just disappointed with the issues listed Thank You

Review by SixBeard See Profile

• Location: Sanger,Denton,TX
Good "Customer service employees are polite."
Bad "Speeds are very inconsistent. Bandwidth limits need to be updated now that "streaming only" households exist."
Overall "Inconsistent speeds. Low, costly caps."

I have been with Suddenlink for many years because it's the fastest service offered in our area. We signed up with the 15Mbps package and have since been 'Boosted' to the 30Mbps package. Our base cost is $65/month but we end up paying around $100/month because of overages. The first year or so after connecting with Suddenlink was enjoyable but it has gone downhill from there. It is nice to have new speeds available but they are inconsistent and the bandwidth caps that have been re-established are not up to date with how individuals receive their content.

Suddenlink recently opened up 50Mbps in my area but our caps do not change with that option. It used to increase based on what tier package you had but now it seems all speeds are limited to 250GB per month, or at least that is what I was told during my last call to customer support. In my house we stream all of our watched entertainment through Netflix, Youtube, and other sources(all legal). If you have television included in your package you can watch all the tv you want with no cap but somehow internet coming in on the same line, being used for essentially the same thing, is being capped.

When the speeds are good things are nice but they fluctuate so much throughout the day that it's hard to get what I'm actually paying for. I ran an automated speed test for 24 hours and the only time I got my advertised speed was between Midnight and about 4am. Most of the daytime speeds are anywhere between 4Mbps and 15Mbps.

Every time I have talked to customer service they have been polite and friendly. While they can't always help me, usually because of company policy limitations, it seems they do try their best.