Suddenlink page on DSLReports

Review by acourtesy20 See Profile

• Location: Ruston,Lincoln,LA
Good "Fast speeds."
Bad "Data Cap. Terrible Customer service."
Overall "I pay for whats available. I would rather have Comcast over them and that says alot."

Let's talk about data caps.

I spoke one of their reps. She said this and I quote.

"We're allotted so much data from the government, leasing out a certain amount of bandwidth per customer". I was livid. I've gone over my data cap every single month. 600gb one month, 400 one month - I wasnt home half of it and now this month its at 500Gb. Once again I gave their nice poor representative a phone call. Poor girl. I'm one of those cord cutters, I only use internet. That is all I will ever need. What about NFL gold ticket, sir? Screw it. Internet. I pay for Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hulu for a reason. I'm not going to give you another dime Suddenlink. I will go to DSL before I choose to pay you anymore money. Make me happy.

You would think the richest company in Louisiana would try to benefit it's customers.

Update: 9/15/2014

Bill was 95 dollars this month because of data cap. I have since disconnected service from their company. AT&T Dsl right now. Their service is terrible but no data caps. Why must I hate a company so bad to make me change to a different ISP? I was perfectly fine with your company until I disconnected because of your insane overage charges. SCREW YOU!

Comments:
Uplinkpro

join:2008-02-11
Lake Charles, LA

If

If they really did say that, that's a news story right there cause there is no government mandated allowance.
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

Dumb-asses.....

Dumbass got her data and IP address mixed up.. God help you.. These fools are a internet provider...
totalradio

join:2007-09-15
·Windstream

AT&T

acourtesy20...

Just up U.S. 167 from you in El Dorado. I will be going back to AT&T, as we have the same providers you do. Suddenlink is nothing but a joke. AT&T does have caps, but not enforcing them because they just can't get the metering right. Seems AT&T announced data caps some 4-5 years ago, and has never been enforced.

AT&T to me is a better product, simply because I don't need speed, I need reliability. Suddenlink isn't reliable at all, where AT&T is. Before I moved out of El Dorado, I had AT&T DSL for 12 years. Only 3 shutdowns in that period of time, only one of them lasted 24 hours. As I'm moving back to El Dorado, I'll get my AT&T DSL back.

Review by Al3sinth See Profile

• Location: Charleston,Kanawha,WV
Good "Speed, Latency looking better"
Bad "CAPS"
Overall "No caps was the best thing going for them.."

Charter used to own the area I live in, and while their upload was bad as well their Latency wasn't. Since Suddenlink bought the area my latency went up from 20-50 ms higher when it's at the lowest... I am on the 6mb package with the super fast 256k upload! The 6mb Download speeds are very nice i usually see every bit of that when downloading. Although It is very easy to saturate my speeds with the upload speed they give me. I play WoW and times that I raid (8-12) my latency shoots up to 300-400+. There are also outages pretty much every night for about 20-30min, and its not just me cause a friend 2 blocks away also gets the same problems as I do. I really wish Verizon would help me out here and push to get a faster DSL line to me or better yet start working on hooking the state or major areas with FIOS. Verizon is really on the ball another friend a block away has DSL and his latency is 30ms less then mine when I'm at my lowest......

EDIT: Within the last month or so I've noticing that I am being throttled when using the Bit Torrent Protocol. Whether it be WoW Patches or p2p.

Update (1-15-09) Sadly I'm still with suddenlink and stuck with horrid latency. I'm pretty big on gaming and when i see my buds a couple blocks away on verizon dsl getting 5-20ms on servers while im hitting 100+ it gets to me. I can't get below 400-500ms when playing wow at night while a fellow guild member using suddenlink about 15miles from here stays at about 100ms. I can get 12mb now but i refuse to pay their $70 service fee"run a speed test" to come out and check my lines. I would love to get it but that's not gonna fix my latency which is the big issue for me.

Update (1-16-09) After Pete contacted me he had trucks rollin out within a few hours to my house. I was greeted by 3 techs who were all very nice. They came in and actually tested the problem i was having and not just pinging or doing tracert and saying nothing is wrong. I loaded up wow and did a netstat to get the ip for them which they ran tracerts to with the router, modem only and using a meter hooking right into the cable drop. They noticed there was some packet loss, and said it was an interesting case. They got all their test and level readings to take back to their engies and headed out. I did some registry tweaks which lowered me about 100ms and, later that night durring the time I usually run 400+ ping i was seeing 120-170ms !!!! I did a tracert to my wow server and all the att routers i hit on the way there that are usually 180+ were at around 100ms. Im very happy right now! Thanks a lot Pete now if only we could raise that upload speed. :P

Update (8/26/09) Suddenlink recently upgraded the tier I'm on to 8/768, and I see every bit of it + some. I constantly get 8500/800. The only bad thing about suddenlink for me now is that we are still routed through DC and Chicago, so any network we try to access even in our own state is much higher then a network that would be near chicago or DC.

Update (12/22/09) Speed update to 10mbit/1mbit went through! Finally at a somewhat decent upload package where upload is 1/10th the download instead of 1/24th. I pull constant 10.75mb down and 1.07mb up. I'm pretty happy and no longer wish for DSL :P Also changed some of the ratings.

Update (07/05/10) Upgraded to the 15/1.5 line and constantly getting around 16.3k/1.5 up . Still paying premium for cable tv service though : /.

Update (07/29/10) Upgraded again to the 20/2 service. Tried out their Docsis 3 modem but I got lower speeds then I did with my 15/1.5 service on my Moto 5101. I had them to switch the mac addy back to my 5101 and hooked it up. Wow I was getting around 32mb down, but only getting around 1.5mb up. My friends and myself who are on suddenlink within a mile of me have been getting terrible latency issues making online gaming and other online applications unplayable. Currently working to get this cleared up.

Update (04/07/12) Saw Suddenlink on the main page saying that they will finish pushing caps to all customers. So I have decided to make it my new mission to avert as many people away from their service as possible when asked who to go with. This is just a way to keep people paying for their awful cable tv and not cut and just go with Hulu or Netflix. I still pay for tv even though I don't watch it much at all, so shouldn't I be exempt from these moronic caps? If this continues I will do away completely with their cable tv and then downgrade from 20Mb/2 to 10MB/1 since its the same cap. This will bring my bill from $165+/mo down to around $45/mo taking a nice $120/mo chunk out of their wallets and back into mine. Hey that's sounding pretty good already. Might end up doing this regardless, so Suddenlink you better sweeten the pot cause your not doing much to keep me around.

Update (09/08/2014) Been lucky running 30/2 on my SB5102 Docsis 2 modem, but I decided to upgrade to the 50/3 last week and had to go pick up a Docsis 3 modem (decided on a SB6120). Speeds are very consistent and I can easily hit 50/3 from all corners of the USA. Still quite unhappy that caps are still in place, but If they promise 1Gbps by 2017 hopefully they will remove them otherwise that kind of speed will be pointless.

scores will remain 0 until the Caps are removed.

Comments:

Breesfan9
join:2007-06-21
Bastrop, LA

RE: Suddenlink Caps

I have also been telling others NOT to go with Suddenlink. And I will continue to do so until we get our credits from NOT getting anywhere near the speeds we have been supposed to get. And they better get busy "ENHANCING" my experience & cut the caps or my family will be going to AT&T. I have already talked one friend into going with AT&T. And I'll continue to make my case to all my friends. And I have discussed this with the rest of my family. After another two months we are going to get rid of the last part of Suddenlink we have. We will be getting rid of their "SHOTTY" internet & moving to AT&T. At least 3-4 is what they offer. And I do know that's what you get. Because I do have many friends that have been with AT&T for awhile. And they get speeds that are advertised. Unlike Suddenlink.
CarribouLou

join:2009-12-08
Kingwood, TX

Re: RE: Suddenlink Caps

You're exactly right OP, the worst company in the world at the moment, and until they change the caps. We will keep on fighting. Until they make this right, we will continue. Until they provide the service we are paying them for, we will prevail.

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA

Re: Suddenlink Caps

kinda hilarious that you would leave suddenlink to go with att over the caps issue. they both have caps!
quietpools

join:2012-04-08
Lakeview, AR

Very poor service, very slow high speed Beware

I signed up for 10mg high speed. Yesterday at 8 p.m. I had 0.06 yep 0.06.... nothing works. Tonight at 7:40 I had 0.07 I complained three times and they said it was "my machine" I took in my speedtests some daily from over a year, no help. I finally had to go to the attorney general then they tested my machine because they are still determined it was my machine. I am an A+ tech... there is nothing wrong with my machine. They finally agreed, their service stinks, and I still don't have high speed, but I did get a discount. Sure helps when you are trying to do an on-line college course test, not.

Review by jbkel3496 See Profile

• Location: Cushing,Payne,OK
Good "Reliable so far, Speeds consistent "
Bad "250GB monthly cap (terrible)"
Overall "A good service except for the low monthly cap"

Not much to say, the service has been reliable since the beginning, and the speeds have been very consistent. The tech that showed up for the install had no idea how to get things running on the computer so I had to do that part. The one thing I dislike about the service is the low monthly cap of 250GB. I have yet to go over because I made and Excel spreadsheet to monitor my usage. It is a real PITA to have to do this. I should just be able to use my connection and not worry about checking my usage each day and updating a spreadsheet. I am not a heavy user but do stream Amazon Instant Video, Pandora, and Spotify regularly. Other than the cap it is a good service.

Update 2/12/2014: My download speeds over the last few nights have been slow. Tonight I am seeing anywhere from 14Mbps to 25Mbps. It's at 14 right now. It was working great since I had it but I am starting to see slow downs.

Update 8/27/2014: It is looking like I may go over my cap this week. It is terrible telling the kid she can't stream something to watch when she is bored or telling the wife that we can't watch a movie for a while because we may go over our cap. In today's day and age of online resources like clouds and streaming among other things we should not have an old cap on our service. Things are progressing and the cap should progress with it. I am not talking about bumping the cap from the 250 to maybe 300 or 350. I think a reasonable cap would be at least 1TB. Is it really that un-doable? The speeds for the most part are consistent. I pay for 30/2, the 2 up is horrible, it should be a the minimum half the down speed. Of course I have no choices here where I live, just Suddenlink and terrible AT&T. Overall I am not happy with the service I have, just happy, I guess, to have a service (making due). By the time anything reasonable comes around I may be too old to care. Would I recommend Suddenlink over the alternative AT&T? I absolutely would, but only because AT&T has lower speed and the lesser of two evils. Thanks.

member for 284 days, 308 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Pete Abel
join:2008-01-15
Saint Louis, MO

with Suddenlink

I'm authorized to help customers in this forum: »Approved Suddenlink Tech Support Agents. If you'll ping me with name and address on your account, I'd be happy to escalate this to the attention of senior managers in your area.

Review by jdmm72 See Profile

• Location: Nitro,Kanawha,WV
Good "Bill comes regularly. Speed is good right now."
Bad "Bad techinical support. Improper disconnect orders, ongoing speed issues"
Overall "When it works correctly, it is good, WHICH IS SELDOM."

UPDATE:
8/21/2014 - Found out about previous disconnect order. It was for a DIFFERENT CUSTOMER, OPPS, not even as much as a apology. Phone and internet are now dropping out daily, BOTH modems go completely out of sync. Suddenlink dispatched tech on SUNDAY (8/17/2014) and failed to inform me, just get a knock on the door. Tech also apparently decided not to submit any notes of work done. Connection was stable on Monday (8/18/2014), but dropped on Tuesday, then again on Wednesday and stayed off until Thursday evening. COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE!!!

ORIGINAL REVIEW

If you want reliable speeds, go with DSL. The variation in the connection speed is not present, but neither is the higher speeds of cable.

If you want speed/performance, then SL cable is the choice. The speed does vary, but it still is much faster than DSL on average.

First try 2005: I had Verizon for telephone, Dish Network for TV, and SL for internet (1.5Mbps). Pretty happy with internet service.

When SL offered telephone service, reduced my telephone bill substantially, so I subscribed. A few good months, then....

Frequent phone issues, no dial tone, but still had internet, many customers effected, but stated resolution times of 2 hours often stretched to 12-24+ hours. My wife decided that we would switch to a traditional telco because house alarm didn't work when phone was out. Switched to Verizon ADSL and telephone service. Expensive, but it always worked. After 2 years with Verizon, switched to Fibernet (who was bought by nTelos wireline, and became Lumos) an ILEC, for same service but cheaper (and a static IP address.) Had billing issues with Fibernet (stopped recieving bills, but not late fees.)

Second Chance: June 2011: Switched back to SL for faster internet, and phone. Fibernet ADSL was rated at 3Mbps (honestly got 3.5Mbps), and SL offered 10Mbps. Fibernet ADSL/telephone bundling was $50/mo ($60 after tax and fees), SL was $55/mo ($67 after tax and fees.) All good until...

February 2012, slow speeds, frequent internet and telephone disconnects, and no resolution to problems.

Now it is June 2012, still slow speeds, telephone service is finally stable, but internet is averaging about 3.5Mbps, and goes down to 1Mbps during peak internet hours. Not acceptable.

Had truck rolls in February, 2 in March, and one in April 2012. Cabling has been replaced, outside interface box has been replaced. Cable terminations have been replaced, coupler in attic has been replaced. Was supposed to have one in May, but college finals and graduation were more important. Had appointment set up on June 5, for June 15 that I couldn't make. Technicians have always said the signal to my house is good.

Called yesterday (6/21/2012) and the support agent actually said, "we haven't had a technician to your house in over a month," when arguing that they can't assume a infrastructure issue. So, I'm supposed to have a Suddenlink technician invade the privacy of my house once a month, waste time on the appointment window, and be happy with that.

So, what has been the subject of the blame game? House wiring (techs say my signal is good, and only thing hooked to SL cable is the SL modem, as TV is Dish Network, and SL ran the cable to the attic themselves, then did reuse a cable that goes to a wall plate that originates in the attic), Cisco 851 Router (SLs first troubleshooting step is to remove router, which DOESN'T fix ANY issue, and causes line monitoring to stop), Computer (speed is also slow on our Sony Blu-Ray player, even with computers off), but I've been assured it's not infrastructure on multiple occassions.

My personal assessment is that the infrastructure and equipment is saturated. SL only offers DOCSIS 2.0 telephony modems, which only bind on one channel, whereas DOCSIS 3.0 can bind multiple channels. That is only my assessment though, and I'm a Telco tech, not a cable tech, so take it with a grain of salt.

Evidence to back up my assessment...

From modem event log, 2 recurring messages (These messages make up the majority of the events)
1. No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2. Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, but no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 timeout

The common factor between these 2 messages. High CMTS utilization. T4 indicates possibly >95% CMTS utilization. Recommended range is 80%

According to »volpefirm.com/docsis-101/docsis1···tenance/,
"A final note, T3 and T4 impairments are always within the DOCSIS network inclusive of the CMTS and cable modems. In fact it is the cable modems themselves that are doing the counting and alerting of T3 and T4 timeouts. This is one time that the IP network behind the CMTS is not to blame for any of these errors. No finger pointing on this one!"

What this says, it's Suddenlink's own DOCSIS network itself, not my network, not the Internet itself. So, it is in Suddenlink's network between their customer premise Cable modem and their CMTS inclusive, nothing on my side.

In a nutshell, they OVERSOLD their network.

6-22-12: Had a tech come out today, replaced the modem, all good for a few hours, now back 1-2Mbps.

7-2-12: Had a "Supervisor" tech come out, and ask about speeds right now at 6:00PM, and when they were alright, he left, telling me to call back when I had a problem.

7-5-12: Down to 5-6Mbps again, still no resolution, and SL only offers to send another tech out. IT'S THE OVERUTILIZED NETWORK!!!!

7-6-12: Checked my bill, I was charged $39.68 for a service call to replace SUDDENLINK's modem, which DID NOT fix the issue, also my internet fees were supposed to be refunded, and that didn't happen either.

7-7-12: Still going down to 1Mbps at night. Contacted tech support AGAIN, they just flat out refused to help, stating that I was being affected by an outage. Sent email to Pete Abel asking for assistance. We'll see.

7/12/12 - 7PM, connection running at about 0.4Mbps (4% of my rated speed) for the rated speed of 10Mbps. WOW!!! Suddenlink supposedly is going to split the node, but was told that it could take months. Serious considering move back to "slower" 3.5Mbps DSL, as 3.5Mbps is still faster than 0.4Mbps on 10Mbps rated cable.

7/13/12 - Back to 1.4Mbps, awesome, so glad I subscribed to 10Mbps.

7/18/12 - WOW Seldomlink upgraded my service to 15Mbps, what is my throughput at 10:00 PM? Oh, between 3-5Mbps. SeldomLink, You rock!!!! Uploaded 2 speedtest imaged (From SeldomLink's own servers).

7/19/12 - So, my speeds have been pretty stable since 6:00PM at 250Kbps. I cannot use my phone and internet at the same time. I either have phone service or internet service, like back in the Dial-up days. Currently I chose to have phone service, because I can tether 3 times faster through my nTelos cell phone than with my cable modem.

7/26/12 - Local tech supervisor came out, installed a DOCSIS 3.0 modem in addition to telephone MTA. Now I am getting rated speeds consistantly. Things are looking much better, hope it keeps up.

8/13/12 - Things still looking good, updating review to reflect that fact. Had some billing issues, but all worked out, but spent another hour on the phone to fix it.

11/30/12 - Screwed up billing again for October and November, overcharged by $20 per month. Spent 20 minutes on hold, 30 minutes total.

Check my connection in the monitor group for Suddenlink at »/testhistory?view=83 with the DSLreports speedtests shown. Here is a link to the Speedtest.net page showing the recent results »www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh···db&ria=0

12/24/2012 - No internet service, no phone service, no ETA at call center (thank God for Cellular and Mifi's). Came back that evening.

12/27/2012 - Internet speeds at .3Mbps on 25Mbps connection. Not happy. Called SL, may have been a fire for some building of some company that may have burnt a cable or fiber somewhere, that may be affecting you. Yep, pretty much that vague.

1/3/2013 - Internet and phone out, no estimated time for fix.

3/21/2013 - Been a fairly uneventful time. The service is currently working pretty good for the last couple of months. Some ratings were raised to reflect.

4/1/2013 - Got a bill stating that my bill was past due and threatening termination. What is the past due balance, you may ask? $18.73. Suddenlink once again FAILED to apply the $20 monthly credit. I can't dock tech support/customer service anymore points, it's already at the bottom. Already on a phone hold for 12 minutes (without having spoken to a live person), to inquire about my bill at 12:34 PM on MONDAY April 1, 2013, a non-peak time.

2/28/2014 - Again internet speeds are drawing down to 200-400 Kbps with loss of telephone service. I DO NOT RECOMMEND SUDDENLINK, but very few alternatives available. I have called and we are now treating this as a new problem, EVEN THOUGH the ORDERED node split NEVER occurred.

3/5/2014 - Connection back to expected shape after local management called. Some work at the CMTS was done and the connection has been stable all day, even during peak hours. Thanks to Pete Abel for making this happen.

7/3/2014 - Internet and Phone were disconnected at 9:33:59 am 7/1/2014. Why? Apparently non-payment. Balance due? $00.00. Restored service at 12:24 PM on 7/2/2014 and then went down again for 3.5 hours.

Comments:
Pete Abel
join:2008-01-15
Saint Louis, MO

Maybe I can help

I'm with Suddenlink at HQ and I'm approved to help customers in this forum (»Approved Suddenlink Tech Support Agents). If you'll email (pete.abel@suddenlink.com) or IM me the name on the account, I'd be happy to escalate this issue to the attention of senior management for your area.

Argggg!!!

Still drawing down to 5Mbps with no computer but my desktop on the link.

Speed test results from 7/12/12

7/12/2012 20:27 DN 0.81
7/12/2012 20:22 DN 3.9

tech101

@184.21.36.x

not a tech in your area but would like to help

I noticed your post and just wanted to ask a few quick questions
first is the hardline outside your home aerial or underground? did the techs go back through the hardline if so how far have you spoke to any of your neighbors and are they having the same issues you are the times I have ran into this and it not having been a house issue comes down to just a couple things one there's either an area in your main line feeder/trunk with water damage or heavy squirrel chews on it don't know if this helps but it may be a good idea to bring it up to the next tech out

Nitro, WV

Re: not a tech in your area but would like to help

The node was overloaded, and I was forced to use a DOCSIS 2.0 modem because of telephony. They installed a separate DOCSIS 3.0 modem, in addition to the telephony modem, and speed issues are fixed, as I can bond to multiple unused channels.

Flaky service.

Speeds today as of 12/27/2012 are averaging about .30Mbps. Yee Haw, glad I'm paying for 15Mbps internet service and am set up for 25Mbps service.

On 12/24/2012, had a day long outage with no explanation from SL, other than there is an outage.

lvlill3r

@frontiernet.net

Switch to frontier Vdsl or bonded HSI

Switched to Fronter Communcations Bonded 24meg service from seldomlink and my connection has never been better

Review by gatorkram See Profile

• Location: Winterville,Pitt,NC
Good "The good points are that there are no real bad points"
Bad "The phone service doesn't offer free calling to Canada"
Overall "Best price/package you can get in the area."

Overall everything seems to be running about the same as when this area was run by cox.
About the only things I have to complain about are the lack of higher speed options, and telephone.

--update--

They now have a 10/768 package, and rumors to be more in the works for upstream speeds
They also offer telephone now, but I have yet to get it.

--update--

They now have a 50/3 package, which I subscribe to, and have been very happy with.
And they also offer home security packages

--update-- 2/12/2014

They now have a 107/5 package, which of course I subscribe to. It's 105 a month with
cable service. Love it. Wish it had more upload and more cap.

-- update-- 8/19/2014

The 107/5 package in my market, with TV is now $86 per month.
Updated my review with the updated speeds and cap info.

member for 12.1 years, 4996 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Cabal See Profile

Good "Fantastic tech went above and beyond for install, reliable service, great signal levels"
Bad "n/a"
(ratings well above consensus)

Had no issues with a Ceton PCIe 4-tuner card from Suddenlink, have since switched to OTA and cable for Internet at half the price. No problems with speed or reliability on a customer-owned DOCSIS 3.0 modem.

Comments:

Deb

@75.111.183.x

Suddenlink ; outdated and up yours company

I hate suddenlink. OUt dated service and they only care they are getting your hard earned money. When it comes to service it is the worst I ever seen. If you have no choice like myself write a review and bitch like crazy...

Deb

@75.111.183.x
I hate suddenlink. Out dated service and they only care they are getting your hard earned money. When it comes to service it is the worst I ever seen. If you have no choice like myself write a review and bitch like crazy...

Athenstx

@166.147.72.x
We were trying to start device with Suddenlink but we had a horrible experience with the service tech. My mother-in-law was here to receive him and he left because "she didn't speak well enough English". The supervisor was not helpful in resolving the issue. I do not recommend Suddenlink to anyone.

Review by AricBrown See Profile

• Location: Amarillo,Potter,TX

The are ok, This was a Cox area and they had just upgraded everything. Then sold it to suddenlink. If it wasnt for the stupid money making caps it would be good.

Comments:

Review by jmorison See Profile

• Location: New Bern,Craven,NC
Good "Speeds, bundled pricing, installation"
Overall "Very pleased"
(ratings well above consensus)

Switched from CenturyLink DSL after 6 years because they could not provide better than 1.5 MBps speed at my home. Service was very good. Suddenlink bundled pricing with phone and cable will save me about $30/mo compared to prior separate services but now includes free long distance which I was previously putting on the cell phone. Installer was well versed, knew product and ran speed checks on my PC with speedtest.net before he left. I opted for the 10 MBps service for $5/month more, and I'm getting 10.9 or 11 on all subsequent tests with a normal ping of 10 or 11, sometimes up to 25. Arris modem, order placing was fast and efficient with price quotes for the bundle after tax.

5/11 update, only one service interruption for about 1 hour, all users in the neighborhood, speeds consistent at 10.9 down, 1 up on a 10 Mb line. Upstream power does now go up to about 56 most days, where it had been in the 40's before but no effect noticeable on speeds or response. Had the underground line replaced by Suddenlink for problems with TV tiling, service was prompt and followed up by tech who came to the house for the hook-up and checked the signals at all outlets including the modem. Only issues have been with the DVR for the TV freezing but it has never lost recorded programs after a re-boot. Have swapped the box 3 times since going to HiDef but they each have had problems after about 4 months. Luckily, the office is close by, and when you call the Priority number you get the local office during the day. Very good tech support for these TV issues and for internet support by the techs on house visits.

1/12 Update, continued great service, only outage was a short one during Hurricane Irene but once power was restored all was fine. Speeds consistently 10.9 on a 10 line, no more TV issues with the new underground line.

12/12 update, continued great service now upgraded to 15 Mbps, speed tests show 17.5 after the burst to 22+.

7/13 update, still great service, did have to get a replacement modem from them as it would not reset itself after a power or other interruption. Speeds remain consistent at 17+/1.6 Total price listed includes phone, TiVo, internet, bundles.

1/14 update, new modem resolved all resets, no interruptions since. Speeds still 17+/1.6 on a 15/1.5. Excellent tech support on a high upstream power issue (55 to 58), found it to be an older small analog TV on the cable. New LCD TV, power down to 44-48.

8/14, no issues or downtime at all.

member for 12.7 years, 4474 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by marcusj3000 See Profile

• Location: Boyce,Rapides,LA
Good "Quick setup!"
Bad "They might start with the Crappy caps"
Overall "Faster than Ma Bell and cheaper too!"

Update 30 July 2014

Now have the 107 speed plan and loving it. Wish 300 was available in my area but it is now just getting a test run in TX. Price is still good for what I get with expensive DSL from At&T available in my area. Can;t ask for anything better other than FIOS.

Update: 21 Oct 2011
Speeds still good and service has only been out once after a storm.

Update 25 September 2009
No problems with the service. The speed keeps increasing which is nice. The price for the top tier is kinda pricey but the alternative is the Deathstar AT&T. DSL speed increase is done since suddenlink has just left At&t behind and U-verse is like a good 5 years away for this area. Overall they have a done a good job . gave up on the digital phone ecuase it takes to long to have it setup so now I have VOIP service thru LINGO with no problems at all.

Update 15 October 2008
I have gotten there service again because I now live in a new home and the speed of DSL just isn't cutting it anymore. DSL is dieing a slow painful death and it can't hold a candle to the speed cable keeps progressing to. They have seemed to have corrected some of their problems and currently is a good buy right now.

UPDATE 03/28/2006
I have switch backed to AT& T. Seems that they are indeed throttling speed and blocking ports now. They are also trying out packet inspection technology. What good is the speed when downloading big files and working from home when thy block ports I need to use, cut the throttle speed and make excuses that they are not. I wish they would sell my area to someone else because it was better when cox was here.

I got a 10 / 768 connection and couldn't be happier since AT&T is raising prices and don't plan on digging out of the grave their DSL service is in. Install was smooth since I already had cable TV thru them, just picked up the modem and boom I was online again. I will be order Digital Phone service form them to finally escape the clutches of the death star. I luv the fact that after I bundle all three I will still be paying less than when I had a landline phone and internet thru bellsouth now the new deathstar.

Comments:

Review by harrijc3 See Profile

• Location: Spring Hill,Johnson,KS
Good "internet speed is so slow you will struggle to exceed the generous data cap"
Bad "Internet service is unusable from ~4 PM to midnight"
Overall "If you want terrible internet service with data caps call now"

I ordered 20 Mb/s and phone service back in late December of 2013 because Centurylink (the only other option where I live) was not delivering. I was supposed to have phone and internet installed on the same day and someone botched the phone install which did not happen until mid January. I lost internet service for a few days on day 2 after having the service installed. The biggest issue I have with Suddenlink is their inability to deliver the speed I am paying for... it is not even close. Around 3 PM I am lucky to see 6 Mb/s and by 8 PM if I break 1 Mb/s it is a bloody miracle. The worst part? I have been calling them since January trying to get this issue sorted. I have lost count of the number of calls I have made and have had 8 tech appointments and every one of them have said there are no issues with the lines or equipment. One of the customer care reps told me in February they would be doing upgrades in the spring. Either nothing was done or the upgrades did not help as the issue still persists. Either no one in the company can sort out this issue or they are not admitting to the extreme network congestion. Bottom line... if you have another option besides Suddenlink, take it.

»www.speedtest.net/result/3651934770.png