Suddenlink page on DSLReports

Review by gatorkram See Profile

• Location: Winterville,Pitt,NC
Good "The good points are that there are no real bad points"
Bad "The phone service doesn't offer free calling to Canada"
Overall "Best price/package you can get in the area."

Overall everything seems to be running about the same as when this area was run by cox.
About the only things I have to complain about are the lack of higher speed options, and telephone.

--update--

They now have a 10/768 package, and rumors to be more in the works for upstream speeds
They also offer telephone now, but I have yet to get it.

--update--

They now have a 50/3 package, which I subscribe to, and have been very happy with.
And they also offer home security packages

--update-- 2/12/2014

They now have a 107/5 package, which of course I subscribe to. It's 105 a month with
cable service. Love it. Wish it had more upload and more cap.

-- update-- 8/19/2014

The 107/5 package in my market, with TV is now $86 per month.
Updated my review with the updated speeds and cap info.

member for 12 years, 4959 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Cabal See Profile

Good "Fantastic tech went above and beyond for install, reliable service, great signal levels"
Bad "n/a"

Had no issues with a Ceton PCIe 4-tuner card from Suddenlink, have since switched to OTA and cable for Internet at half the price. No problems with speed or reliability on a customer-owned DOCSIS 3.0 modem.

Comments:

Deb

@75.111.183.x

Suddenlink ; outdated and up yours company

I hate suddenlink. OUt dated service and they only care they are getting your hard earned money. When it comes to service it is the worst I ever seen. If you have no choice like myself write a review and bitch like crazy...

Deb

@75.111.183.x
I hate suddenlink. Out dated service and they only care they are getting your hard earned money. When it comes to service it is the worst I ever seen. If you have no choice like myself write a review and bitch like crazy...

Athenstx

@166.147.72.x
We were trying to start device with Suddenlink but we had a horrible experience with the service tech. My mother-in-law was here to receive him and he left because "she didn't speak well enough English". The supervisor was not helpful in resolving the issue. I do not recommend Suddenlink to anyone.

Review by AricBrown See Profile

• Location: Amarillo,Potter,TX

The are ok, This was a Cox area and they had just upgraded everything. Then sold it to suddenlink. If it wasnt for the stupid money making caps it would be good.

member for 11.6 years, 2591 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jmorison See Profile

• Location: New Bern,Craven,NC
Good "Speeds, bundled pricing, installation"
Overall "Very pleased"

Switched from CenturyLink DSL after 6 years because they could not provide better than 1.5 MBps speed at my home. Service was very good. Suddenlink bundled pricing with phone and cable will save me about $30/mo compared to prior separate services but now includes free long distance which I was previously putting on the cell phone. Installer was well versed, knew product and ran speed checks on my PC with speedtest.net before he left. I opted for the 10 MBps service for $5/month more, and I'm getting 10.9 or 11 on all subsequent tests with a normal ping of 10 or 11, sometimes up to 25. Arris modem, order placing was fast and efficient with price quotes for the bundle after tax.

5/11 update, only one service interruption for about 1 hour, all users in the neighborhood, speeds consistent at 10.9 down, 1 up on a 10 Mb line. Upstream power does now go up to about 56 most days, where it had been in the 40's before but no effect noticeable on speeds or response. Had the underground line replaced by Suddenlink for problems with TV tiling, service was prompt and followed up by tech who came to the house for the hook-up and checked the signals at all outlets including the modem. Only issues have been with the DVR for the TV freezing but it has never lost recorded programs after a re-boot. Have swapped the box 3 times since going to HiDef but they each have had problems after about 4 months. Luckily, the office is close by, and when you call the Priority number you get the local office during the day. Very good tech support for these TV issues and for internet support by the techs on house visits.

1/12 Update, continued great service, only outage was a short one during Hurricane Irene but once power was restored all was fine. Speeds consistently 10.9 on a 10 line, no more TV issues with the new underground line.

12/12 update, continued great service now upgraded to 15 Mbps, speed tests show 17.5 after the burst to 22+.

7/13 update, still great service, did have to get a replacement modem from them as it would not reset itself after a power or other interruption. Speeds remain consistent at 17+/1.6 Total price listed includes phone, TiVo, internet, bundles.

1/14 update, new modem resolved all resets, no interruptions since. Speeds still 17+/1.6 on a 15/1.5. Excellent tech support on a high upstream power issue (55 to 58), found it to be an older small analog TV on the cable. New LCD TV, power down to 44-48.

8/14, no issues or downtime at all.

member for 12.7 years, 4444 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by marcusj3000 See Profile

• Location: Boyce,Rapides,LA
Good "Quick setup!"
Bad "They might start with the Crappy caps"
Overall "Faster than Ma Bell and cheaper too!"

Update 30 July 2014

Now have the 107 speed plan and loving it. Wish 300 was available in my area but it is now just getting a test run in TX. Price is still good for what I get with expensive DSL from At&T available in my area. Can;t ask for anything better other than FIOS.

Update: 21 Oct 2011
Speeds still good and service has only been out once after a storm.

Update 25 September 2009
No problems with the service. The speed keeps increasing which is nice. The price for the top tier is kinda pricey but the alternative is the Deathstar AT&T. DSL speed increase is done since suddenlink has just left At&t behind and U-verse is like a good 5 years away for this area. Overall they have a done a good job . gave up on the digital phone ecuase it takes to long to have it setup so now I have VOIP service thru LINGO with no problems at all.

Update 15 October 2008
I have gotten there service again because I now live in a new home and the speed of DSL just isn't cutting it anymore. DSL is dieing a slow painful death and it can't hold a candle to the speed cable keeps progressing to. They have seemed to have corrected some of their problems and currently is a good buy right now.

UPDATE 03/28/2006
I have switch backed to AT& T. Seems that they are indeed throttling speed and blocking ports now. They are also trying out packet inspection technology. What good is the speed when downloading big files and working from home when thy block ports I need to use, cut the throttle speed and make excuses that they are not. I wish they would sell my area to someone else because it was better when cox was here.

I got a 10 / 768 connection and couldn't be happier since AT&T is raising prices and don't plan on digging out of the grave their DSL service is in. Install was smooth since I already had cable TV thru them, just picked up the modem and boom I was online again. I will be order Digital Phone service form them to finally escape the clutches of the death star. I luv the fact that after I bundle all three I will still be paying less than when I had a landline phone and internet thru bellsouth now the new deathstar.

Comments:

Review by acourtesy20 See Profile

• Location: Ruston,Lincoln,LA
Good "Fast speeds."
Bad "Data Cap. Terrible Customer service."
Overall "I pay for whats available. I would rather have Comcast over them and that says alot."

Let's talk about data caps.

I spoke one of their reps. She said this and I quote.

"We're allotted so much data from the government, leasing out a certain amount of bandwidth per customer". I was livid. I've gone over my data cap every single month. 600gb one month, 400 one month - I wasnt home half of it and now this month its at 500Gb. Once again I gave their nice poor representative a phone call. Poor girl. I'm one of those cord cutters, I only use internet. That is all I will ever need. What about NFL gold ticket, sir? Screw it. Internet. I pay for Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hulu for a reason. I'm not going to give you another dime Suddenlink. I will go to DSL before I choose to pay you anymore money. Make me happy.

You would think the richest company in Louisiana would try to benefit it's customers.

Comments:
Uplinkpro

join:2008-02-11
Lake Charles, LA

If

If they really did say that, that's a news story right there cause there is no government mandated allowance.
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

Dumb-asses.....

Dumbass got her data and IP address mixed up.. God help you.. These fools are a internet provider...

Review by harrijc3 See Profile

• Location: Spring Hill,Johnson,KS
Good "internet speed is so slow you will struggle to exceed the generous data cap"
Bad "Internet service is unusable from ~4 PM to midnight"
Overall "If you want terrible internet service with data caps call now"

I ordered 20 Mb/s and phone service back in late December of 2013 because Centurylink (the only other option where I live) was not delivering. I was supposed to have phone and internet installed on the same day and someone botched the phone install which did not happen until mid January. I lost internet service for a few days on day 2 after having the service installed. The biggest issue I have with Suddenlink is their inability to deliver the speed I am paying for... it is not even close. Around 3 PM I am lucky to see 6 Mb/s and by 8 PM if I break 1 Mb/s it is a bloody miracle. The worst part? I have been calling them since January trying to get this issue sorted. I have lost count of the number of calls I have made and have had 8 tech appointments and every one of them have said there are no issues with the lines or equipment. One of the customer care reps told me in February they would be doing upgrades in the spring. Either nothing was done or the upgrades did not help as the issue still persists. Either no one in the company can sort out this issue or they are not admitting to the extreme network congestion. Bottom line... if you have another option besides Suddenlink, take it.

»www.speedtest.net/result/3651934770.png

member for 28 days, 24 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Vice92990 See Profile

• Location: Pauls Valley,Garvin,OK
Good "Price"
Bad "Service,customer support, Tech knowledge,tech friendliness ,consistency of service, speed, connection, support,"
Overall "by far the worst company I have ever had to deal with. Im a patient person but am at wits end with suddenlink."

By far the worst company ever. Not only do I not even get 1/10th of my paid speed, but the connection goes in and out constantly to the point its unusable. I have had a tech at my house almost every month sometimes 2-3 times a month for 4 years because they can't figure out what the issue is. The techs they send out are disrespectful and unknowledgable. I had one tech tell me I should be happy that I even have service as he lives out in the country and pays 100 for 1g. I had the line tech tell me to stop emailing his boss behind his back getting him in trouble. Down right disrespectful. They talked to my wife before I got home one time and she informed me they were very rude and told her the same thing about not contacting their manager. The service itself is horrible , the customer support is horrible, the techs are horrible. The only good thing is its 65 a month but for what Im paying and what im getting isn't worth it. If suddenlink wasn't the only provider out here, which is the only reason im still with them and probably why they think they can treat me this way, I would have switched a long time ago even if it means paying more.

Comments:
totalradio

join:2007-09-15

Be forewarned...

One of the Suddenlink trolls, who are "employees" will be by to "help you out". They didn't help me when I had constant problems with my internet AND cable TV, so I got rid of them.

You may end up doing the same thing. You have my sympathy.

Review by moldypickle See Profile

• Location: Haughton,Bossier,LA
Good "Decent Service"
Bad "tv portion seems high priced"
Overall "ok so far"

updated June 2013

Asking a phone rep about better pricing resulted in a lower bill and faster service. Pretty stable 50/3 with little to no slow downs and basic cable with the HD box. I still feel that requiring a $6/month cable box to be able to watch "free HD" is a bit of a racket.

*********

updated march 2011

Some connection issues had come up but Pete was able to get me in contact with senior management locally. the problem had already been rectified by the time i was conference called with the manager and lead engineer. dealing with people beyond grunt level is very pleasant and productive. internet is now stable and tv works good. beyond the price, i'm content paying for this service.

*********

Well, I ordered my cable on the first of July and the hookup date was all the way out to the 9th. Friday rolled around and no cable man. Turns out he came three hours before the time slot and never called, then went home and started his vacation. The first two times i called in they tried to tell me that they didn't do instalations in the afternoon, then they were telling me that they couldn't install because i needed cable installed in the attic (of my trailer..... ya. that's something the sales lady had asked when i ordered).

so monday came and i finally got hooked up. the service technician, an outside contractor, gave me a hard time because the work order wasn't for a new install but finally ran the lines since i had already paid the extra install fee way back on the first of the month.

since then i've had pixelized tv service frequently and my cable modem drops during the day as i'm experiencing up to a 14db power swing on the upstream side. Currently awaiting another service tech to come out as Motorla advised that the issue i'm having is the modem is turning off and back on due to a power need above 58db up. and this is all on brand new wiring not even a week old.

at this time i'm not impressed what so ever with service OR customer support.

member for 5.6 years, 1844 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jdmm72 See Profile

• Location: Nitro,Kanawha,WV
Good "Bill comes regularly. Speed is good right now."
Bad "Bad techinical support. Improper disconnect orders, ongoing speed issues"
Overall "When it works correctly, it is good."

UPDATE:
7/3/2014 - Internet and Phone were disconnected at 9:33:59 am 7/1/2014. Why? Apparently non-payment. Balance due? $00.00. Restored service at 12:24 PM on 7/2/2014 and then went down again for 3.5 hours.

If you want reliable speeds, go with DSL. The variation in the connection speed is not present, but neither is the higher speeds of cable.

If you want speed/performance, then SL cable is the choice. The speed does vary, but it still is much faster than DSL on average.

First try 2005: I had Verizon for telephone, Dish Network for TV, and SL for internet (1.5Mbps). Pretty happy with internet service.

When SL offered telephone service, reduced my telephone bill substantially, so I subscribed. A few good months, then....

Frequent phone issues, no dial tone, but still had internet, many customers effected, but stated resolution times of 2 hours often stretched to 12-24+ hours. My wife decided that we would switch to a traditional telco because house alarm didn't work when phone was out. Switched to Verizon ADSL and telephone service. Expensive, but it always worked. After 2 years with Verizon, switched to Fibernet (who was bought by nTelos wireline, and became Lumos) an ILEC, for same service but cheaper (and a static IP address.) Had billing issues with Fibernet (stopped recieving bills, but not late fees.)

Second Chance: June 2011: Switched back to SL for faster internet, and phone. Fibernet ADSL was rated at 3Mbps (honestly got 3.5Mbps), and SL offered 10Mbps. Fibernet ADSL/telephone bundling was $50/mo ($60 after tax and fees), SL was $55/mo ($67 after tax and fees.) All good until...

February 2012, slow speeds, frequent internet and telephone disconnects, and no resolution to problems.

Now it is June 2012, still slow speeds, telephone service is finally stable, but internet is averaging about 3.5Mbps, and goes down to 1Mbps during peak internet hours. Not acceptable.

Had truck rolls in February, 2 in March, and one in April 2012. Cabling has been replaced, outside interface box has been replaced. Cable terminations have been replaced, coupler in attic has been replaced. Was supposed to have one in May, but college finals and graduation were more important. Had appointment set up on June 5, for June 15 that I couldn't make. Technicians have always said the signal to my house is good.

Called yesterday (6/21/2012) and the support agent actually said, "we haven't had a technician to your house in over a month," when arguing that they can't assume a infrastructure issue. So, I'm supposed to have a Suddenlink technician invade the privacy of my house once a month, waste time on the appointment window, and be happy with that.

So, what has been the subject of the blame game? House wiring (techs say my signal is good, and only thing hooked to SL cable is the SL modem, as TV is Dish Network, and SL ran the cable to the attic themselves, then did reuse a cable that goes to a wall plate that originates in the attic), Cisco 851 Router (SLs first troubleshooting step is to remove router, which DOESN'T fix ANY issue, and causes line monitoring to stop), Computer (speed is also slow on our Sony Blu-Ray player, even with computers off), but I've been assured it's not infrastructure on multiple occassions.

My personal assessment is that the infrastructure and equipment is saturated. SL only offers DOCSIS 2.0 telephony modems, which only bind on one channel, whereas DOCSIS 3.0 can bind multiple channels. That is only my assessment though, and I'm a Telco tech, not a cable tech, so take it with a grain of salt.

Evidence to back up my assessment...

From modem event log, 2 recurring messages (These messages make up the majority of the events)
1. No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2. Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, but no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 timeout

The common factor between these 2 messages. High CMTS utilization. T4 indicates possibly >95% CMTS utilization. Recommended range is 80%

According to »volpefirm.com/docsis-101/docsis1···tenance/,
"A final note, T3 and T4 impairments are always within the DOCSIS network inclusive of the CMTS and cable modems. In fact it is the cable modems themselves that are doing the counting and alerting of T3 and T4 timeouts. This is one time that the IP network behind the CMTS is not to blame for any of these errors. No finger pointing on this one!"

What this says, it's Suddenlink's own DOCSIS network itself, not my network, not the Internet itself. So, it is in Suddenlink's network between their customer premise Cable modem and their CMTS inclusive, nothing on my side.

In a nutshell, they OVERSOLD their network.

6-22-12: Had a tech come out today, replaced the modem, all good for a few hours, now back 1-2Mbps.

7-2-12: Had a "Supervisor" tech come out, and ask about speeds right now at 6:00PM, and when they were alright, he left, telling me to call back when I had a problem.

7-5-12: Down to 5-6Mbps again, still no resolution, and SL only offers to send another tech out. IT'S THE OVERUTILIZED NETWORK!!!!

7-6-12: Checked my bill, I was charged $39.68 for a service call to replace SUDDENLINK's modem, which DID NOT fix the issue, also my internet fees were supposed to be refunded, and that didn't happen either.

7-7-12: Still going down to 1Mbps at night. Contacted tech support AGAIN, they just flat out refused to help, stating that I was being affected by an outage. Sent email to Pete Abel asking for assistance. We'll see.

7/12/12 - 7PM, connection running at about 0.4Mbps (4% of my rated speed) for the rated speed of 10Mbps. WOW!!! Suddenlink supposedly is going to split the node, but was told that it could take months. Serious considering move back to "slower" 3.5Mbps DSL, as 3.5Mbps is still faster than 0.4Mbps on 10Mbps rated cable.

7/13/12 - Back to 1.4Mbps, awesome, so glad I subscribed to 10Mbps.

7/18/12 - WOW Seldomlink upgraded my service to 15Mbps, what is my throughput at 10:00 PM? Oh, between 3-5Mbps. SeldomLink, You rock!!!! Uploaded 2 speedtest imaged (From SeldomLink's own servers).

7/19/12 - So, my speeds have been pretty stable since 6:00PM at 250Kbps. I cannot use my phone and internet at the same time. I either have phone service or internet service, like back in the Dial-up days. Currently I chose to have phone service, because I can tether 3 times faster through my nTelos cell phone than with my cable modem.

7/26/12 - Local tech supervisor came out, installed a DOCSIS 3.0 modem in addition to telephone MTA. Now I am getting rated speeds consistantly. Things are looking much better, hope it keeps up.

8/13/12 - Things still looking good, updating review to reflect that fact. Had some billing issues, but all worked out, but spent another hour on the phone to fix it.

11/30/12 - Screwed up billing again for October and November, overcharged by $20 per month. Spent 20 minutes on hold, 30 minutes total.

Check my connection in the monitor group for Suddenlink at »/testhistory?view=83 with the DSLreports speedtests shown. Here is a link to the Speedtest.net page showing the recent results »www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh···db&ria=0

12/24/2012 - No internet service, no phone service, no ETA at call center (thank God for Cellular and Mifi's). Came back that evening.

12/27/2012 - Internet speeds at .3Mbps on 25Mbps connection. Not happy. Called SL, may have been a fire for some building of some company that may have burnt a cable or fiber somewhere, that may be affecting you. Yep, pretty much that vague.

1/3/2013 - Internet and phone out, no estimated time for fix.

3/21/2013 - Been a fairly uneventful time. The service is currently working pretty good for the last couple of months. Some ratings were raised to reflect.

4/1/2013 - Got a bill stating that my bill was past due and threatening termination. What is the past due balance, you may ask? $18.73. Suddenlink once again FAILED to apply the $20 monthly credit. I can't dock tech support/customer service anymore points, it's already at the bottom. Already on a phone hold for 12 minutes (without having spoken to a live person), to inquire about my bill at 12:34 PM on MONDAY April 1, 2013, a non-peak time.

2/28/2014 - Again internet speeds are drawing down to 200-400 Kbps with loss of telephone service. I DO NOT RECOMMEND SUDDENLINK, but very few alternatives available. I have called and we are now treating this as a new problem, EVEN THOUGH the ORDERED node split NEVER occurred.

3/5/2014 - Connection back to expected shape after local management called. Some work at the CMTS was done and the connection has been stable all day, even during peak hours. Thanks to Pete Abel for making this happen.

Comments:
Pete Abel
join:2008-01-15
Saint Louis, MO

Maybe I can help

I'm with Suddenlink at HQ and I'm approved to help customers in this forum (»Approved Suddenlink Tech Support Agents). If you'll email (pete.abel@suddenlink.com) or IM me the name on the account, I'd be happy to escalate this issue to the attention of senior management for your area.

Argggg!!!

Still drawing down to 5Mbps with no computer but my desktop on the link.

·Suddenlink

7/12/2012 20:27 DN 0.81
7/12/2012 20:22 DN 3.9

tech101

@184.21.36.x

not a tech in your area but would like to help

I noticed your post and just wanted to ask a few quick questions
first is the hardline outside your home aerial or underground? did the techs go back through the hardline if so how far have you spoke to any of your neighbors and are they having the same issues you are the times I have ran into this and it not having been a house issue comes down to just a couple things one there's either an area in your main line feeder/trunk with water damage or heavy squirrel chews on it don't know if this helps but it may be a good idea to bring it up to the next tech out

Nitro, WV

Re: not a tech in your area but would like to help

The node was overloaded, and I was forced to use a DOCSIS 2.0 modem because of telephony. They installed a separate DOCSIS 3.0 modem, in addition to the telephony modem, and speed issues are fixed, as I can bond to multiple unused channels.

·Suddenlink

Flaky service.

Speeds today as of 12/27/2012 are averaging about .30Mbps. Yee Haw, glad I'm paying for 15Mbps internet service and am set up for 25Mbps service.

On 12/24/2012, had a day long outage with no explanation from SL, other than there is an outage.

lvlill3r

@frontiernet.net

Switch to frontier Vdsl or bonded HSI

Switched to Fronter Communcations Bonded 24meg service from seldomlink and my connection has never been better