Suddenlink page on DSLReports

Review by TheMega See Profile

• Location: Parkersburg,Wood,WV
Good "Used to be great until about a month or so ago. "
Bad "Times out when just watching YouTube. 15MB connection showing in KB up to 2MB"
Overall "Sucks ass right now. Going to turn in my cable box and turn off phone. "

Been a VIP customer for years. Going to drop both TV and Phone due to ignorance and BS. My 15MB Internet has been topping out in 2MB range with a few readings down in KB area! Support is of no help - just canned response of turn this and that off, reboot this and the other crap. I've been working on computers since `98. Well aware of computer end of it, and even a little more on some of their hardware when they say to unplug cable modem when it has an 8 hr battery backup inside it... wtf good would unplugging it do?? RESETTING it might do something?!!

Done with their crap - should cut bill $100 after dropping TV/Phone

member for 1.4 years, 9 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
totalradio

join:2007-09-15
·Suddenlink
·Windstream

Hell...

The Suddenlink trolls no longer show up here anymore to "help people", not that they did any good anyway.

I got rid of them years ago when I got the same runaround from them. Got Dish for television and AT&T for internet and never looked back.

I feel your pain !

Re: Hell...

Suddenlink has never failed to disappoint me over the years. Found out today that I had been a customer since 1994.. which means I have been a Suddenlink Customer since its existence in Parkersburg, WV. My disappointment runs deep.. I've seen countless rate hikes, avoided late charges on my bill (because Suddenlink "can't control the mail").. by hand-delivering my payment each month on time the day it was due. I've noticed that all the "packages" and "deals" were reserved for only NEW customers. If you were an existing customer, clearly you didn't matter anymore. Even when you had issues or problems they'd send a guy in a truck to your house.... for a ridiculous fee of course. And most recently, after the final straw of dropping nearly 30 channels from my cable and not bothering to make any true effort to inform me.. I decided to make a switch. When returning all of my equipment on the same day my bill was due, I was told to expect a refund of 53 dollars or so? Then was billed for 247 dollars? After a call to their service center, I was again informed to disregard that bill.. I was due a refund. Today Weds. Oct. 22nd I have now received another bill! This one for 87 dollars. Again I'd call to check on the status of my refund.. when low and behold I was told this bill was right? I now have gone from a REFUND to a BILL of 85 dollars?? Impressive Suddenlink.. like I said disappointment just keeps on coming from Suddenlink. When I returned my equipment I kindly stated that if I was not happy with my new services, I'd likely return. Well.. the billing nightmare has enlightened me on that idea! Through all these years of "wonderful" treatment this company has given me in rate hikes, to digital tear-up garbage on their "free" HD channels,(which isn't free when you pay a cost for the HD box to receive the channels..pfft)... to out and out removing some twenty-something channels from my cable line-up,... as a kind thank you to me leaving them in the dust, they now claim I owe them money?? It's always been pretty clear what suddenlink has been about,.. and it certainly isn't the customer,.. it's that almighty dollar their after. Thanks for clearing it up for me. And in regards to the so-called balance due... I'll just call it even for ripping me off all these years in rate hikes and channel losses. For very poor customer service. And for not giving a damn how the customer feels about anything.

Sincerely,
Duane C. Congrove

Sincerely,

Review by georgew3 See Profile

• Location: Pflugerville,Travis,TX
Good "Good bandwidth tests"
Bad "Bad bandwidth on everything except tests. Bad netflix, bad amazon prime, etc..."
Overall "This company is malicious, /causing/ you use exceed bandwidth limits, then billing you extra"

I have deleted my review, because while it had useful information, it was too long, and a recent relevation has caused me to alter my review.

I caught Suddenlink STEALING money from me!!! they are billing me for excess bandwidth that was /caused/ by their network.

So I have directv, I only use suddenlink for overpriced, crappy Internet.

Suddenlink has been blocking, or throttling over the top video. So Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.. Don't really work through Suddenlink. This is not new, it just sets the stage for what comes next...

So with Directv, I have video on demand, so if I miss a show, I can download a copy to the DVR. At first this worked great, usually within 5 minutes you could start watching the show as the download finishes. But recently something changed. When I schedule a show to download, the download will start, but it usually doesn't finish for about a week. Then I get a warning from Suddenlink that I'm using too much bandwidth. At first I didn't make the connection to what was happening, but I spent some money to set up bandwidth accounting on my network to figure out what what was using all the bandwidth. Turns out it was my video on demand downloads.

So at first glance that seems innocent enough, tell the wife to stop downloading so many shows... But she tells me she has only downloaded 1 in the last month. I haven't downloaded any, wassup with that? So I did a download while running a protocol analyzer on the network (in my day job I'm a network expert working for a company that makes routers). What I see in the analysis of the traffic flow is that the downloads start, but never finish, they will run for a while, then be shut down. So my DVR tries again, and again, and again. So if I do one download, it will use 100% of the bandwidth for about a week, and still not be finished.

I ordered Uverse from AT&T. I have a slow connection to AT&T, but it feels about 3 times faster than Suddenlink, even though the speed I pay for through suddenlink is about 4 times the speed that AT&T sold me. When I connect my directv through it, on-demand video works better than ever. Suddenlink always gets great speed tests, usually exceeding the speed you pay for. Bandwidth tests from AT&T seem more real, and run slightly slower than the speed you pay for. To me this tells me that Suddenlink is "enhancing" speed tests to make the connection look faster than it really is. there are all sorts of ways to do this, most likely it is selective bandwidth shaping.

THIS is why we need net neutrality!!!

When looking at similar transfers, moving the Directv connection between AT&T and Suddenlink, I see the server becoming unreachable through suddenlink, while the same IP is still fine via AT&T.

But back to the rip-off... Suddenlink blocks our downloads in a manner to cause them to restart over and over, THEN they bill you for the excess bandwidth. Excess bandwidth that would never happen if they just left your traffic alone.

Avoid using Suddenlink at all costs, they are crooks!

Comments:
Pete Abel
join:2008-01-15
Saint Louis, MO

Perhaps I can help

I'm at Suddenlink's HQ office, and I'm vetted to assist customers in this forum (»Approved Suddenlink Tech Support Agents). If you're willing to IM or email (pete.abel@suddenlink.com) the name and address on the account, I'll escalate your situation to the attention of senior managers for your area.
Vtr_Racing

join:2006-09-04
Pflugerville, TX

Suddenlink

Nice write up. I had the very same issues a few years ago with them. Good product when it worked. I game frequently so it worked pretty good. It went down ALOT. Not enough techs in the field to help with issues. They tried but were overwhelmed since they were the only game in town at the time. We switched to ATT DSL and now UVERSE and its ok except they keep jacking up the price. I was considering trying Suddenlink out again but probably not now.

netflix

I don't have any streaming issues with Netflix or other over the top services. I Netflix quite a bit. I don't like the Netflix app on the TIVO though... as the menus are dog slow. But Netflix thru my Blu-ray app or the TV work just fine. I am not sure what your problem is.

Review by SpyderGurlTX0 See Profile

• Location: Krum,Denton,TX
Good "I really don't have anything good to say about them at this point"
Bad "Very unreliable internet service. We are not getting what we pay for."
Overall "Only option in my area, or I would have switched a long time ago."

We constantly have trouble with this internet service. Recently, we had consistent low download speeds for 2 to 3 months. We complained enough to finally get the contact information of an area supervisor, who told us that they knew there was a problem, but they couldn't fix it for weeks at a time. Eventually, we filed a complaint with the BBB and finally they addressed the issue and our speeds were back up to 15 / second, which is what we pay for. They also credited our account for 2 months service which was good.

Now, not even 2 months later, we are having the SAME issue again. We are back down to 0.6 download speed. We can't even open 2 webpages at the same time. We're "connected", but barely. Of course customer service can't help us. They want to send a tech, who can only tell us again there is an issue in the neighborhood. We contacted the supervisor again, who advised us that he knows there's yet ANOTHER issue, but of course he has no idea when it will be fixed. We are currently at over a week with no resolution and barely being able to use our service.

This is the worst internet service provider I have ever had to deal with. If I had another option in the neighborhood, I would have switched a long time ago. I don't even think they care since they really have no competition. I'm going to get with my neighbors and we're going to demand refunds and for the service to be fixed. I don't know what else to do! It should be illegal for them to continue to charge me and not deliver the service I'm PAYING for.

Comments:
SpyderGurlTX0

join:2013-05-08

Speed Test

This.. this is what I pay like 90 bucks a month for. I'm beyond frustrated with this company.

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3827728205

Meh

@74.196.252.x

Re: Speed Test

Sounds about the right speed for suddenlink ;3. This is pretty much an average thing for suddenlink, they oversell their internet. They would charge 2 people for a 50mbs, while giving 50 mbs to both hoping they don't use it at the same time... now imaging they do that for more than 2 the result is basically the speed you got. The most annoying part is they monopolize this in an area where there is no competition from other providers.

You can call them and they will be all nice and polite, but in reality, they can't fix this(they will send over a technician) and he will pretend like he fixed it.
Pay 90 bucks or $50, in the end you are bound to get the speed of User (X1+X2+X3)/(3).

I use to pay for 30mbs, then swapped to 15mbs. From 1am to 8am I would get the exact result, but during traffic time 5pm 11:50pm I would pray to get a 3rd of what I paid for.

Review by ashworth See Profile

• Location: New Bern,Craven,NC
Good "none, other han they talk a good line."
Bad "they sell your phone number to spammers/scammers"
Overall "do not get suddenlink internet/phone/cable."

Suddenlink is lying about dropping Viacom, they are blocking Viacom websites so we cannot watch our shows online, and they are lying about that as well(I ran an IP trace route to confirm). I have gotten more scam/spam calls than ever before and after doing some research I have found that this is common with suddenlink and it has been suggested that they are selling our phone numbers. I am going to drop suddenlink and get dishnetwork & century link even though I hate Dishes with a passion, I hate being lied to more.

Comments:
Jowmu

Lubbock, TX

selling your phone number?

and your proof that they sell your phone number is.... ????
... because you were robo-called?

This guy

@66.76.18.x

Re: selling your phone number?

All it takes is a google search to see Viacom blocking customers from viewing on their sites while in a TV dispute is Viacoms standard operating procedure

suddenlysuck

@74.192.232.x
Well, you are in Lubbock, which last time I checked was a Suddenlink call center. They giving you a bonus for standing up for Suddencrap?

abnormal69

join:2003-04-19
Hollister, MO

Huh?

And please explain how running a trace route confirms that SL is blocking you from viewing Viacom owned sites.

Re: Huh?

probably a troll... bet he works for Viacom. They are pissed that SL stood up to them.

Review by hgomez29 See Profile

• Location: Abilene,Taylor,TX
Good "Works during storms"
Bad "Capped bandwidth"
Overall "Much slower than it used to be"

I've had sudden link since they bought out Cox Communications. We had awesome service from Cox and great speeds for years. When Suddenlink took over it was good for about 6 years, this year they added a usage cap ( but neglected to tell anyone) and so our internet was off until I called and found out we had exceeded our cap of 250GB. When we signed up there was no mention of a cap and we were told it was unlimited....not true. It has been consistent when it works, we had to change our dns servers ( no big deal) since Suddenlinks was over populated. It seems to me that they over sell their nodes without actually increasing the bandwidth. We have 15MB service and get about 6-7 when the modem is first restarted, after about an hour it drops down to between 3-6 mb.

Comments:

Laura Davis

@66.76.17.x

coment

y'all need to bring back the other channels the shower place because they f****** suck and you're going to lose thousands and thousands of customers just to save a few bucks Laura Davis 806 678 5408 I'll work it out I hop with 80 employees and they've all drive job to go to direct and dish

Review by dd31879 See Profile

• Location: Boyce,Rapides,LA
Good "The service is fast when it works"
Bad "The reliability of the service is terrible along with the support"
Overall "I use it because its the only service available aside from slow satellite services."

I always have issues with packet loss, latency, and incorrect speeds. The customer support will always blame the customer (me) as having something wrong. My modem was replaced less then a 6 months ago for similar issues and ALL of the lines inside and outside my house have been replaced. The technicians never find anything wrong on my end to explain the service problems and yet they continue to send technicians out or do nothing to improve the situation by finding the cause.

Comments:

Review by Turbo Mach 5 See Profile

• Location: San Augustine,San Augustine,TX
Good "Speed"
Bad "Price"
Overall "If you stay on them, they'll eventually fix it..."

Ordered late October (10/1 the fastest they offer here in San Augustine), finally got it stable mid November. During that time speeds were great in the morning but come the evening: no. Would drop to ~1 Meg service. Not good at all. Called a couple times, tech came out and fixed it (changing the filter and resetting all the way into town) but still had the same problem. Well one night Suddenlink called me back, asking if I still had the trouble. Told them yes and that possibly the line that runs from the pole to the house is the issue (been up there for over 10 years). Replaced the line, reset everything back into town and haven't had an issue since (apart from the occasional drop but that's to be expected). Suddenlink has a bad reputation in this town for their cable TV though but I didn't order that, just Internet. So long as it's stable, stays stable and fast (and hey, maybe even get faster for the price I pay), I will be with Suddenlink for a bit.

Got an Arris DOCSIS 3.0 modem. Install was pretty clean and quick.

Update as of 2/23/2014

I went on and replaced the modem about a year ago with a Motorola SB6121. Great little box. Saves me some $$$ with the rental fee. Then about a few days ago, we got bumped from 10/1 to 15/1.5. And honestly I'm seeing it go a little higher. Keep on trucking Suddenlink. MUCH better than AT&T in this town now!

member for 6.4 years, 114 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by acourtesy20 See Profile

• Location: Ruston,Lincoln,LA
Good "Fast speeds."
Bad "Data Cap. Terrible Customer service."
Overall "I pay for whats available. I would rather have Comcast over them and that says alot."

Let's talk about data caps.

I spoke one of their reps. She said this and I quote.

"We're allotted so much data from the government, leasing out a certain amount of bandwidth per customer". I was livid. I've gone over my data cap every single month. 600gb one month, 400 one month - I wasnt home half of it and now this month its at 500Gb. Once again I gave their nice poor representative a phone call. Poor girl. I'm one of those cord cutters, I only use internet. That is all I will ever need. What about NFL gold ticket, sir? Screw it. Internet. I pay for Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hulu for a reason. I'm not going to give you another dime Suddenlink. I will go to DSL before I choose to pay you anymore money. Make me happy.

You would think the richest company in Louisiana would try to benefit it's customers.

Update: 9/15/2014

Bill was 95 dollars this month because of data cap. I have since disconnected service from their company. AT&T Dsl right now. Their service is terrible but no data caps. Why must I hate a company so bad to make me change to a different ISP? I was perfectly fine with your company until I disconnected because of your insane overage charges. SCREW YOU!

Comments:
Uplinkpro

join:2008-02-11
Lake Charles, LA

If

If they really did say that, that's a news story right there cause there is no government mandated allowance.
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

Dumb-asses.....

Dumbass got her data and IP address mixed up.. God help you.. These fools are a internet provider...
totalradio

join:2007-09-15
·Suddenlink
·Windstream

AT&T

acourtesy20...

Just up U.S. 167 from you in El Dorado. I will be going back to AT&T, as we have the same providers you do. Suddenlink is nothing but a joke. AT&T does have caps, but not enforcing them because they just can't get the metering right. Seems AT&T announced data caps some 4-5 years ago, and has never been enforced.

AT&T to me is a better product, simply because I don't need speed, I need reliability. Suddenlink isn't reliable at all, where AT&T is. Before I moved out of El Dorado, I had AT&T DSL for 12 years. Only 3 shutdowns in that period of time, only one of them lasted 24 hours. As I'm moving back to El Dorado, I'll get my AT&T DSL back.

Review by Al3sinth See Profile

• Location: Charleston,Kanawha,WV
Good "Speed, Latency looking better"
Bad "CAPS"
Overall "No caps was the best thing going for them.."

Charter used to own the area I live in, and while their upload was bad as well their Latency wasn't. Since Suddenlink bought the area my latency went up from 20-50 ms higher when it's at the lowest... I am on the 6mb package with the super fast 256k upload! The 6mb Download speeds are very nice i usually see every bit of that when downloading. Although It is very easy to saturate my speeds with the upload speed they give me. I play WoW and times that I raid (8-12) my latency shoots up to 300-400+. There are also outages pretty much every night for about 20-30min, and its not just me cause a friend 2 blocks away also gets the same problems as I do. I really wish Verizon would help me out here and push to get a faster DSL line to me or better yet start working on hooking the state or major areas with FIOS. Verizon is really on the ball another friend a block away has DSL and his latency is 30ms less then mine when I'm at my lowest......

EDIT: Within the last month or so I've noticing that I am being throttled when using the Bit Torrent Protocol. Whether it be WoW Patches or p2p.

Update (1-15-09) Sadly I'm still with suddenlink and stuck with horrid latency. I'm pretty big on gaming and when i see my buds a couple blocks away on verizon dsl getting 5-20ms on servers while im hitting 100+ it gets to me. I can't get below 400-500ms when playing wow at night while a fellow guild member using suddenlink about 15miles from here stays at about 100ms. I can get 12mb now but i refuse to pay their $70 service fee"run a speed test" to come out and check my lines. I would love to get it but that's not gonna fix my latency which is the big issue for me.

Update (1-16-09) After Pete contacted me he had trucks rollin out within a few hours to my house. I was greeted by 3 techs who were all very nice. They came in and actually tested the problem i was having and not just pinging or doing tracert and saying nothing is wrong. I loaded up wow and did a netstat to get the ip for them which they ran tracerts to with the router, modem only and using a meter hooking right into the cable drop. They noticed there was some packet loss, and said it was an interesting case. They got all their test and level readings to take back to their engies and headed out. I did some registry tweaks which lowered me about 100ms and, later that night durring the time I usually run 400+ ping i was seeing 120-170ms !!!! I did a tracert to my wow server and all the att routers i hit on the way there that are usually 180+ were at around 100ms. Im very happy right now! Thanks a lot Pete now if only we could raise that upload speed. :P

Update (8/26/09) Suddenlink recently upgraded the tier I'm on to 8/768, and I see every bit of it + some. I constantly get 8500/800. The only bad thing about suddenlink for me now is that we are still routed through DC and Chicago, so any network we try to access even in our own state is much higher then a network that would be near chicago or DC.

Update (12/22/09) Speed update to 10mbit/1mbit went through! Finally at a somewhat decent upload package where upload is 1/10th the download instead of 1/24th. I pull constant 10.75mb down and 1.07mb up. I'm pretty happy and no longer wish for DSL :P Also changed some of the ratings.

Update (07/05/10) Upgraded to the 15/1.5 line and constantly getting around 16.3k/1.5 up . Still paying premium for cable tv service though : /.

Update (07/29/10) Upgraded again to the 20/2 service. Tried out their Docsis 3 modem but I got lower speeds then I did with my 15/1.5 service on my Moto 5101. I had them to switch the mac addy back to my 5101 and hooked it up. Wow I was getting around 32mb down, but only getting around 1.5mb up. My friends and myself who are on suddenlink within a mile of me have been getting terrible latency issues making online gaming and other online applications unplayable. Currently working to get this cleared up.

Update (04/07/12) Saw Suddenlink on the main page saying that they will finish pushing caps to all customers. So I have decided to make it my new mission to avert as many people away from their service as possible when asked who to go with. This is just a way to keep people paying for their awful cable tv and not cut and just go with Hulu or Netflix. I still pay for tv even though I don't watch it much at all, so shouldn't I be exempt from these moronic caps? If this continues I will do away completely with their cable tv and then downgrade from 20Mb/2 to 10MB/1 since its the same cap. This will bring my bill from $165+/mo down to around $45/mo taking a nice $120/mo chunk out of their wallets and back into mine. Hey that's sounding pretty good already. Might end up doing this regardless, so Suddenlink you better sweeten the pot cause your not doing much to keep me around.

Update (09/08/2014) Been lucky running 30/2 on my SB5102 Docsis 2 modem, but I decided to upgrade to the 50/3 last week and had to go pick up a Docsis 3 modem (decided on a SB6120). Speeds are very consistent and I can easily hit 50/3 from all corners of the USA. Still quite unhappy that caps are still in place, but If they promise 1Gbps by 2017 hopefully they will remove them otherwise that kind of speed will be pointless.

scores will remain 0 until the Caps are removed.

member for 11.3 years, 4254 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Breesfan9
join:2007-06-21
Bastrop, LA

RE: Suddenlink Caps

I have also been telling others NOT to go with Suddenlink. And I will continue to do so until we get our credits from NOT getting anywhere near the speeds we have been supposed to get. And they better get busy "ENHANCING" my experience & cut the caps or my family will be going to AT&T. I have already talked one friend into going with AT&T. And I'll continue to make my case to all my friends. And I have discussed this with the rest of my family. After another two months we are going to get rid of the last part of Suddenlink we have. We will be getting rid of their "SHOTTY" internet & moving to AT&T. At least 3-4 is what they offer. And I do know that's what you get. Because I do have many friends that have been with AT&T for awhile. And they get speeds that are advertised. Unlike Suddenlink.
CarribouLou

join:2009-12-08
Kingwood, TX

Re: RE: Suddenlink Caps

You're exactly right OP, the worst company in the world at the moment, and until they change the caps. We will keep on fighting. Until they make this right, we will continue. Until they provide the service we are paying them for, we will prevail.

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA

Re: Suddenlink Caps

kinda hilarious that you would leave suddenlink to go with att over the caps issue. they both have caps!
quietpools

join:2012-04-08
Lakeview, AR

Very poor service, very slow high speed Beware

I signed up for 10mg high speed. Yesterday at 8 p.m. I had 0.06 yep 0.06.... nothing works. Tonight at 7:40 I had 0.07 I complained three times and they said it was "my machine" I took in my speedtests some daily from over a year, no help. I finally had to go to the attorney general then they tested my machine because they are still determined it was my machine. I am an A+ tech... there is nothing wrong with my machine. They finally agreed, their service stinks, and I still don't have high speed, but I did get a discount. Sure helps when you are trying to do an on-line college course test, not.

Review by jbkel3496 See Profile

• Location: Cushing,Payne,OK
Good "Reliable so far, Speeds consistent "
Bad "250GB monthly cap (terrible)"
Overall "A good service except for the low monthly cap"

Not much to say, the service has been reliable since the beginning, and the speeds have been very consistent. The tech that showed up for the install had no idea how to get things running on the computer so I had to do that part. The one thing I dislike about the service is the low monthly cap of 250GB. I have yet to go over because I made and Excel spreadsheet to monitor my usage. It is a real PITA to have to do this. I should just be able to use my connection and not worry about checking my usage each day and updating a spreadsheet. I am not a heavy user but do stream Amazon Instant Video, Pandora, and Spotify regularly. Other than the cap it is a good service.

Update 2/12/2014: My download speeds over the last few nights have been slow. Tonight I am seeing anywhere from 14Mbps to 25Mbps. It's at 14 right now. It was working great since I had it but I am starting to see slow downs.

Update 8/27/2014: It is looking like I may go over my cap this week. It is terrible telling the kid she can't stream something to watch when she is bored or telling the wife that we can't watch a movie for a while because we may go over our cap. In today's day and age of online resources like clouds and streaming among other things we should not have an old cap on our service. Things are progressing and the cap should progress with it. I am not talking about bumping the cap from the 250 to maybe 300 or 350. I think a reasonable cap would be at least 1TB. Is it really that un-doable? The speeds for the most part are consistent. I pay for 30/2, the 2 up is horrible, it should be a the minimum half the down speed. Of course I have no choices here where I live, just Suddenlink and terrible AT&T. Overall I am not happy with the service I have, just happy, I guess, to have a service (making due). By the time anything reasonable comes around I may be too old to care. Would I recommend Suddenlink over the alternative AT&T? I absolutely would, but only because AT&T has lower speed and the lesser of two evils. Thanks.

Comments:
Pete Abel
join:2008-01-15
Saint Louis, MO

with Suddenlink

I'm authorized to help customers in this forum: »Approved Suddenlink Tech Support Agents. If you'll ping me with name and address on your account, I'd be happy to escalate this to the attention of senior managers in your area.