Suddenlink page on DSLReports

Review by mdwerner6942 See Profile

• Location: Henryetta,Okmulgee,OK
Good "They showed up on date ordered"
Bad "Speed 15 MB, Upgraded to 30 MB so slow, Speedtest.net got 6 MB"
Overall "I will have to review this to give them a chance, but 2 months sucks"

I tried this company a few years back as a home owner but speed rating same as AT&T found it did not work. Now with their speeds up in our area, Since AT&T prices of their Uverse 6 MB and Suddenlink’s 15 MB were close to same price and since AT&T would not work with me why not.

AT&T router was not a 1GB port mode and not a lot I liked about it.

After setup we had a tech come out next day as after he left my 15 Mb got like .45, 1.5 MB, 4 Mb etc. ON here there lv 3 tech said he saw problems and so did main office when we hooked direct to the modem ping was 3 times as high as it should have been. They had two guys come back who basically ignore what I told them and they seemed more interested in not blaming local service which I later found out needed upgrades and separation of areas to hopefully give us what I thought we were getting.

My son plays WOW he notice the ping is higher than 6 MB Uverse in evening when playing, and of course they only want you to test on their site which is not reality of how your internet experience would be, plus when I tested our speed I make sure it is not on one server or one sight. Now I was told I would get two months service and my 35 dollar bill is over 52 dollars not sure where my free months went. Plus it took me weeks to get what I have which is not been that great and we are still unsure if the upgrades in area were done as some had the older modems in area, so I doubt it. I was told that Motorola was bought out last year by (Arris or something like that) Their modems firmware can only be updated by your cable company which might be normal but I had no idea it was this way.

I am not sure when they will do what they said was going to be done first week of service. I called in after the time we were told upgrades were going to be done, but weeks later, said improvements once again would be done this weekend. I wrote their CEO because it upset me so much and I did wait a month before writing this review to give them time to correct issue. The first few days, we were lucky that we still had AT&T or my son could not have played WOW he just got killed so much due to terrible lag time and no it was not because of WOW at that time anyways. I hope their general manager just got behind and forgot to adjust our bill like he said he do last week, but only time will tell and if this changes I will be more than glad to re write it. I just know my bill showed 37 something credit and today it shows 52 owed on 35 dollar service and no credit so far days later. Again, I waited a month to do this just because I did not want to do it out of anger, now it is just what my experience has been since going to cable. Nothing close to promised speeds so far nor has our bill been adjustments as promised. I can only hope and have faith I did not expect that to include internet cable service.

As of 04/16/14 now the upgrade to 30 GB until 15 GB gets up to par since not all updated to newer services and area in one line believe suppose to be split out, 15 MB at times anywhere from .45 to 1 or 2 Mb when acting up, guess no one told me unlike Uverse cable caps their service at a low 250 GB, what century are we in, cannot believe the hassle months later. Free service for a few months got ate up with 37 dollar credit because alleged upgrade until fixed, now show no credit and a bill for 52 dollars nor the two months free credit they promised when we had 37 dollar credit just such a pain, and stress.

Comments:

Review by monster87 See Profile

• Location: Royse City,Rockwall,TX
Good "In the beginning, they were a fundamentally a good cable isp. Since 2011, they've gone downhill, and have now reached bottom"
Bad "DATA CAPS (Ridiculous!); My bill has jumped from $77 to $120 because I went over the friggin data cap"
Overall "My internet is spotty, and there really is no difference in the speeds. The only reason I have their top package is the cap."

Avoid this company like the plague. They jacked the over the cap fee from $5 per 50mb to something much higher without any meaningful notification.

Comments:

Review by Ranpuma See Profile

• Location: Georgetown,Williamson,TX
Good "Great speed during the day and consistent connection to the internet"
Bad "Evening hour internet is slower than a crawl and loses it value fast"
Overall "Great service if the speeds would be consistent at all hours"

I just moved to the Georgetown Area a month ago and signed up for internet and Tv package provided to me online. It started off great but soon did I realize how bad the connections speeds were after 6 pm. It been like that since I got the service and have been tolerant of it till now. The price they advertise for this service is already high enough but to make it lose its value after work hours make its terrible. If there were another service provider in the are I would jump ship. I just never had these connection issue with them. The data cap is also unwelcome and a burden to monitor. We live in a streaming age so either they lower the base price or raise the cap to modern expectations. If these issues are fixed it livable though.

UPDATE: Sorry for the lack of updates but so far I got a call from a assistant supervisor in my region who did tell me that the issue was do to their capacity being too hi in prime time. I am not sure if the issue was resolved or not but the service still lags in the evening. I was given a credit and will see what my bandwidth tonight and provide an update. BTW try emailing the guy above I am sure they want a sample to make sure they fix the issues.

UPDATE: Still have the issues with the bandwidth issue in the evening. Have not received word of anything done to the area yet.

UPDATE: Looks like my speed right now at 7:31 pm are fixed. Currently running the full 50 mpbs. This is great news and I hope what they did to fix me fixes others. Now if only we can raise those overage caps to modern reasonable lvl. No one even has a 350 gig hard drive in most modern pcs.

Update: It did not last long. After the supposed upgrade to 107 the speeds are back down to 25 mbs again. Contacting pete again to see if there is a solution.

Comments:
Pete Abel

With Suddenlink

I work at Suddenlink corporate headquarters and am vetted to help customers in this forum (»Approved Suddenlink Tech Support Agents). If you're willing to send me (by IM or email: pete.abel@suddenlink.com) the name and address on your account, I'd be happy to escalate the speed issues you're experiencing to the attention of senior managers for your area. Let me know.
Ranpuma

join:2014-01-19
Georgetown, TX

Re: With Suddenlink

That would be great thank you

Mjkadk

Was your issue resolved?

I too am having the same issues with dropped internet speeds. Have also called and spoken with supposed second line techs. Every single time they are full of apologies and promises. When someone says they personally will see to the issue and will call back within 24 hours, I expect the promise to be fulfilled. However, that's NEVER been the case with Suddenlink. Not once have I received the anticipated callback. The last tech who was here told me Suddenlink is aware of the issue but has no plans to resolve it. This prompted me to call yet again and AGAIN the rep was "understanding," apologetic and I fell AGAIN for his promise to call back. Unfortunately, I am in a situation where I cannot say "thanks but no thanks, I'm calling the other guys." All I can do is put up with their crappy (non) service and dream of the day I can go elsewhere. Oh, and you can bet I do not recommend Suddenlink to friends and family. My only advice to anyone is to never give your business to Suddenlink if you have a choice.
Ranpuma

join:2014-01-19
Georgetown, TX

Re: Was your issue resolved?

edit to post above
Saint Louis, MO
I'd be happy to try and help you, if you'll PM or email me (pete.abel@suddenlink.com) your account information. I'm vetted to help in this forum: »Approved Suddenlink Tech Support Agents.

GlennEarl

@rr.com

My Service is slow too

Slow since January. Spoke with several support people with no solution. Last Field Tech I spoke with, told me they were working on a hardware solution but could give me no time frame for a solution.

Asdf

Georgetown Suddenlink

The service at night is unbelievably bad, basic browsing of the web is slow as 1998...dont even try to stream anything. Support has been next to useless in resolving this and have no information regarding plans to resolve what is pretty clearly a peak hours capacity issue. With Google and ATT providing gigabit service right down the road in Pflugerville and Austin hopefully some decent providers will come this way soon.

Re: Georgetown Suddenlink

I'm with Suddenlink at Corp. HQ and am vetted to help customers in this forum: »Approved Suddenlink Tech Support Agents. Let me know if I can assist you.

Review by lcornejo See Profile

• Location: Huntsville,Walker,TX
Good "Bandwidth usually overdelivers"
Bad "I never been impressed with latency"
Overall "Gets the job done for most activities, even voip, but usually gaming is frustrating, high latency is just not ideal"

ISP that delivers in terms of promised bandwidth in my neigborhood. But the latency (bufferbloat or routing) is way to high as of late in my area. Walker Co. Texas

Comments:

Review by anklosaur See Profile

• Location: Tyler,Smith,TX
Good "Some reps actually care"
Bad "Spotty, spotty, spotty support"
Overall "Will do if it's all you can get... getting better"

Quick note, service has been getting much better but they've a long history of poor service and customer support ball dropping to overcome. When it works, it works well. They need to continue building infrastructure, adding bandwidth and weeding out the employees who don't know what they are doing. More HD content please... much more. Website is ok if you are already subscribed but it's almost impossible to add/start services, and trying to find out how much it will cost you is impossible from the website.

Comments:
SDLashley1

join:2011-07-19

Suddenlink Help

Hello - My name is Ashley, and I'm with Suddenlink, and approved to help customers in this forum (Approved Suddenlink Tech Support Agents). If you're experiencing any current issues with your service at this time, please feel free to email (ashley@suddenlink.com) or IM me with your account address and the name on the account, and I'd be happy to escalate the issue to the attention of senior Management for your area.

Review by dougl2013 See Profile

• Location: Olathe,Johnson,KS
Good "Not much lately."
Bad "The recent addition of Internet usage limits has caused my monthly bill to quadruple."
Overall "Avoid if possible."

I'm on the 10 Mbit service which is only allotted 250GB of data transfer per month. I'm transferring 2-3 times that amount on a regular basis. My bill this month was $47.95 for the basic service plus another $140 for "Additional Internet Usage". This is an absurd frantic plan to make a boatload of money before I have more Internet service options in my location (right now, there are only two options).

I'm planning to switch to CenturyLink's 10 Mbit service which has no usage limitations. Hopefully the service is decent.

-ddougl

Comments:
SDLashley1

join:2011-07-19

Suddenlink Help

Hi - My name is Ashley, and I'm with Suddenlink, and approved to help customers in this forum (Approved Suddenlink Tech Support Agents).
If you'll email (ashley@suddenlink.com) or IM me the name on your account, as well as your account address, I'd be happy to see if there are other internet options available to you.

Review by DataDoc See Profile

• Location: Greenville,Pitt,NC
Good "Rare outages over past 7 years, speeds are as advertised."
Bad "Had to bury my own cable from box to house."
Overall "Rough switchover from Cox, settled down and smooth sailing ever since."

08/20/2013
Moved out of state, cancelled service.

07/21/2013
Other than the occasional 2 am outage for maintenance, I've had solid, reliable, performance since my last review.

08/01/2012
Switched to Suddenlink Business account due to business requirements. Works fine, once fixed IP was assigned.

12/23/2011
Speed as advertised, rare outages for a few minutes/hours. Happy with service.

05/07/2011
Speeds are as advertised, no outages in 2 years. Very satisfied.

12/30/2009
Rebooted modem last night, now have 10/1MB speeds. Only one outage, for about 3 hours, since July.

07/28/2009
Only about a half dozen outages, indicated by my DSLR Monitor showing gaps. Most of these were caused by turning off my PC during thunderstorms.

Overall, good service.

10/17/2008
Speed has gone up to 8MB down, still 512 up. Newsserver sometimes has been erratic, but it looks load related.

Only one or two outages, most I didn't notice, except that my DSLR Monitor showed gaps. Even these may have been caused by my turning off my PC during thunderstorms.

Overall, good service.

04/13/2008
A few minor outages in the last year, none more than a couple of hours long. Calls to support have been answered courteously and accurate explanations were given.

I have switched to OpenDNS and other mail servers (alternate ports for sending, as regular ones are blocked) to avoid SuddenLink's overloaded ones.

Overall, since I only rely on SuddenLink for the connection, I like the service.

09/07/2007
I called support this afternoon and complained about new accounts getting speeds loyal customers had to wait for, and the mumbo-jumbo you did with your account. She explained the policy was given to them, blah-blah-blah. I thanked her and asked to speak to a supervisor to register my complaint. I was on hold for about 3 minutes, and then she returned, she told me the supervisor wasn't available, and that she had turned on the upgrade for me.
And, so she had.
My speed test results: 6619/530kbps
Not exactly maxed out, but I'll test again at a better time. I usually get ~3600/500kbs.

06/21/2007
Called about high packet loss and loss of sync about 2 weeks ago. SuddenLink sent 2 techs out over a 3 days period. Both arrived on time and ultimately resolved the problem to be my Surfboard 4200 modem going bad. I bought and installed the new modem and called SuddenLink to register the serial numbers. It only took a few minutes and I was back online, but when I really began to use the net the next morning I saw the speed was very low. DSLR's speed test confirmed I had a 256/128 connection. A call to tech support confirmed that the tech hadn't deleted the old record, and with 2 modems in the system, only the first (old) modem got the correct speed. The tech deleted the old record, speed returned and she said she would talk to the (newbie) tech about the problem.

When you register your modem, before you end your call make sure you have the tech read back the serial numbers to you . There was no problem here with that, but Cox got it wrong and it took much longer to track it down.

11/2/2006
I was a Cox customer for the last 2 years and was satisfied overall with the service. This review will cover the switchover and what has happened since then.

I watch my monitors pretty regularly, and the the one from the New Jersey site used to average in the 20ms range, but after the sale to Cebridge, it slowly crept up to around 100ms, with large swings. Two Sundays ago we were switched to SuddenLink's network and the pings are down into the 30ms range, without the large jumps that occurred on a regular basis.

Yesterday I switched my Cox account info to SuddenLink's, using their 4 step procedure at »suddenlink.net During this I used the Trueswitch software.

I only had one account on the old Cox network, so I went ahead and tried out this feature when I was transferring my Cox account to SuddenLink. I have Outlook, and use many non-Cox mail services, so your mileage may vary if your setup is different.

The first thing Trueswitch does is go through your mail and creates a new folder under Inbox, and then moves a copy of every email folder and its contents to that new folder. This took over 20 minutes for me. Once I found the duplicate folders I deleted them. The originals were unchanged.

Next Trueswitch goes through your Contacts List and sends a "change of address" email to every address in it. 99% of the people in my Contacts weren't even aware of that Cox address, and I spent last night getting "Is this from you?" emails, replies from mailing lists that told me how to really change my address and bounces from "announce only" lists.

Trueswitch seemed to imply it would change the Outlook POP and SMTP settings as needed so I could send mail using SuddenLink servers, but that didn't happen. I changed them later. Their instructions are here: »account.suddenlink.net/selfcare/···ngs.html
These assume you only use their servers, so if you don't, do as they say, except change the settings shown on the 3rd graphic from "Use same settings" to "Log on using" and fill in your SuddenLink account info.

All in all, I wouldn't recommend using this if you use other mail services. If you used Cox for your mail, you may still have to change the settings yourself. It might be good for average users, but if you're experienced, do it yourself.

One last thing, my IP seems to change every 2 days. I've had to install a dynamic IP updater to keep my monitors useful. With Cox, it only changed twice in 2 1/2 years.

member for 13.9 years, 6079 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Tyrind

Horrible Reliability

I cannot count the amount of problems i've had out of Suddenlink here in Greenville, MS. Pay for 30/5MB speeds and only get 30/1.5MB speeds and reported it but nothing was ever done about it, constant outages and problems or lack of quality signal. Horrible support team with little or no helpfulness.

Review by jdmm72 See Profile

• Location: Nitro,Kanawha,WV
Good "Bill comes regularly. Speed is good right now."
Bad "Bad techinical support. 4+ months to fix speed issue."
Overall "When it works correctly, it is good."

3/5/2014: Looks like Suddenlink got my connection back to tip top shape.

If you want reliable speeds, go with DSL. The variation in the connection speed is not present, but neither is the higher speeds of cable.

If you want speed/performance, then SL cable is the choice. The speed does vary, but it still is much faster than DSL on average.

First try 2005: I had Verizon for telephone, Dish Network for TV, and SL for internet (1.5Mbps). Pretty happy with internet service.

When SL offered telephone service, reduced my telephone bill substantially, so I subscribed. A few good months, then....

Frequent phone issues, no dial tone, but still had internet, many customers effected, but stated resolution times of 2 hours often stretched to 12-24+ hours. My wife decided that we would switch to a traditional telco because house alarm didn't work when phone was out. Switched to Verizon ADSL and telephone service. Expensive, but it always worked. After 2 years with Verizon, switched to Fibernet (who was bought by nTelos wireline, and became Lumos) an ILEC, for same service but cheaper (and a static IP address.) Had billing issues with Fibernet (stopped recieving bills, but not late fees.)

Second Chance: June 2011: Switched back to SL for faster internet, and phone. Fibernet ADSL was rated at 3Mbps (honestly got 3.5Mbps), and SL offered 10Mbps. Fibernet ADSL/telephone bundling was $50/mo ($60 after tax and fees), SL was $55/mo ($67 after tax and fees.) All good until...

February 2012, slow speeds, frequent internet and telephone disconnects, and no resolution to problems.

Now it is June 2012, still slow speeds, telephone service is finally stable, but internet is averaging about 3.5Mbps, and goes down to 1Mbps during peak internet hours. Not acceptable.

Had truck rolls in February, 2 in March, and one in April 2012. Cabling has been replaced, outside interface box has been replaced. Cable terminations have been replaced, coupler in attic has been replaced. Was supposed to have one in May, but college finals and graduation were more important. Had appointment set up on June 5, for June 15 that I couldn't make. Technicians have always said the signal to my house is good.

Called yesterday (6/21/2012) and the support agent actually said, "we haven't had a technician to your house in over a month," when arguing that they can't assume a infrastructure issue. So, I'm supposed to have a Suddenlink technician invade the privacy of my house once a month, waste time on the appointment window, and be happy with that.

So, what has been the subject of the blame game? House wiring (techs say my signal is good, and only thing hooked to SL cable is the SL modem, as TV is Dish Network, and SL ran the cable to the attic themselves, then did reuse a cable that goes to a wall plate that originates in the attic), Cisco 851 Router (SLs first troubleshooting step is to remove router, which DOESN'T fix ANY issue, and causes line monitoring to stop), Computer (speed is also slow on our Sony Blu-Ray player, even with computers off), but I've been assured it's not infrastructure on multiple occassions.

My personal assessment is that the infrastructure and equipment is saturated. SL only offers DOCSIS 2.0 telephony modems, which only bind on one channel, whereas DOCSIS 3.0 can bind multiple channels. That is only my assessment though, and I'm a Telco tech, not a cable tech, so take it with a grain of salt.

Evidence to back up my assessment...

From modem event log, 2 recurring messages (These messages make up the majority of the events)
1. No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2. Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, but no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 timeout

The common factor between these 2 messages. High CMTS utilization. T4 indicates possibly >95% CMTS utilization. Recommended range is 80%

According to »volpefirm.com/docsis-101/docsis1···tenance/,
"A final note, T3 and T4 impairments are always within the DOCSIS network inclusive of the CMTS and cable modems. In fact it is the cable modems themselves that are doing the counting and alerting of T3 and T4 timeouts. This is one time that the IP network behind the CMTS is not to blame for any of these errors. No finger pointing on this one!"

What this says, it's Suddenlink's own DOCSIS network itself, not my network, not the Internet itself. So, it is in Suddenlink's network between their customer premise Cable modem and their CMTS inclusive, nothing on my side.

In a nutshell, they OVERSOLD their network.

6-22-12: Had a tech come out today, replaced the modem, all good for a few hours, now back 1-2Mbps.

7-2-12: Had a "Supervisor" tech come out, and ask about speeds right now at 6:00PM, and when they were alright, he left, telling me to call back when I had a problem.

7-5-12: Down to 5-6Mbps again, still no resolution, and SL only offers to send another tech out. IT'S THE OVERUTILIZED NETWORK!!!!

7-6-12: Checked my bill, I was charged $39.68 for a service call to replace SUDDENLINK's modem, which DID NOT fix the issue, also my internet fees were supposed to be refunded, and that didn't happen either.

7-7-12: Still going down to 1Mbps at night. Contacted tech support AGAIN, they just flat out refused to help, stating that I was being affected by an outage. Sent email to Pete Abel asking for assistance. We'll see.

7/12/12 - 7PM, connection running at about 0.4Mbps (4% of my rated speed) for the rated speed of 10Mbps. WOW!!! Suddenlink supposedly is going to split the node, but was told that it could take months. Serious considering move back to "slower" 3.5Mbps DSL, as 3.5Mbps is still faster than 0.4Mbps on 10Mbps rated cable.

7/13/12 - Back to 1.4Mbps, awesome, so glad I subscribed to 10Mbps.

7/18/12 - WOW Seldomlink upgraded my service to 15Mbps, what is my throughput at 10:00 PM? Oh, between 3-5Mbps. SeldomLink, You rock!!!! Uploaded 2 speedtest imaged (From SeldomLink's own servers).

7/19/12 - So, my speeds have been pretty stable since 6:00PM at 250Kbps. I cannot use my phone and internet at the same time. I either have phone service or internet service, like back in the Dial-up days. Currently I chose to have phone service, because I can tether 3 times faster through my nTelos cell phone than with my cable modem.

7/26/12 - Local tech supervisor came out, installed a DOCSIS 3.0 modem in addition to telephone MTA. Now I am getting rated speeds consistantly. Things are looking much better, hope it keeps up.

8/13/12 - Things still looking good, updating review to reflect that fact. Had some billing issues, but all worked out, but spent another hour on the phone to fix it.

11/30/12 - Screwed up billing again for October and November, overcharged by $20 per month. Spent 20 minutes on hold, 30 minutes total.

Check my connection in the monitor group for Suddenlink at »/testhistory?view=83 with the DSLreports speedtests shown. Here is a link to the Speedtest.net page showing the recent results »www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh···db&ria=0

12/24/2012 - No internet service, no phone service, no ETA at call center (thank God for Cellular and Mifi's). Came back that evening.

12/27/2012 - Internet speeds at .3Mbps on 25Mbps connection. Not happy. Called SL, may have been a fire for some building of some company that may have burnt a cable or fiber somewhere, that may be affecting you. Yep, pretty much that vague.

1/3/2013 - Internet and phone out, no estimated time for fix.

3/21/2013 - Been a fairly uneventful time. The service is currently working pretty good for the last couple of months. Some ratings were raised to reflect.

4/1/2013 - Got a bill stating that my bill was past due and threatening termination. What is the past due balance, you may ask? $18.73. Suddenlink once again FAILED to apply the $20 monthly credit. I can't dock tech support/customer service anymore points, it's already at the bottom. Already on a phone hold for 12 minutes (without having spoken to a live person), to inquire about my bill at 12:34 PM on MONDAY April 1, 2013, a non-peak time.

2/28/2014 - Again internet speeds are drawing down to 200-400 Kbps with loss of telephone service. I DO NOT RECOMMEND SUDDENLINK, but very few alternatives available. I have called and we are now treating this as a new problem, EVEN THOUGH the ORDERED node split NEVER occurred.

3/5/201 - Connection back to expected shape after local management called. Some work at the CMTS was done and the connection has been stable all day, even during peak hours. Thanks to Pete Abel for making this happen.

Comments:
Pete Abel

Maybe I can help

I'm with Suddenlink at HQ and I'm approved to help customers in this forum (»Approved Suddenlink Tech Support Agents). If you'll email (pete.abel@suddenlink.com) or IM me the name on the account, I'd be happy to escalate this issue to the attention of senior management for your area.

Argggg!!!

Still drawing down to 5Mbps with no computer but my desktop on the link.

·Suddenlink

7/12/2012 20:27 DN 0.81
7/12/2012 20:22 DN 3.9

tech101

@184.21.36.x

not a tech in your area but would like to help

I noticed your post and just wanted to ask a few quick questions
first is the hardline outside your home aerial or underground? did the techs go back through the hardline if so how far have you spoke to any of your neighbors and are they having the same issues you are the times I have ran into this and it not having been a house issue comes down to just a couple things one there's either an area in your main line feeder/trunk with water damage or heavy squirrel chews on it don't know if this helps but it may be a good idea to bring it up to the next tech out

Nitro, WV

Re: not a tech in your area but would like to help

The node was overloaded, and I was forced to use a DOCSIS 2.0 modem because of telephony. They installed a separate DOCSIS 3.0 modem, in addition to the telephony modem, and speed issues are fixed, as I can bond to multiple unused channels.

·Suddenlink

Flaky service.

Speeds today as of 12/27/2012 are averaging about .30Mbps. Yee Haw, glad I'm paying for 15Mbps internet service and am set up for 25Mbps service.

On 12/24/2012, had a day long outage with no explanation from SL, other than there is an outage.

lvlill3r

@frontiernet.net

Switch to frontier Vdsl or bonded HSI

Switched to Fronter Communcations Bonded 24meg service from seldomlink and my connection has never been better

Review by darkdragon66 See Profile

• Location: united state
Good "Decent speeds."
Bad "Upload speeds need to be higher, bandwidth cap, automated phone line system can be frustrating."
Overall "Works well, occasional slowdowns during prime usage hours can get frustrating, could use faster upload speeds."

Relationship with suddenlink has been shaky in the past. Prone to a lot of extensive outages and very inconsistent speeds. Significant work has been done by Suddenlink to improve their services since then.

Customer service has improved dramatically, as well as field technicians being more knowledgeable about their field.

Equipment upgrades are completed quite speedily, and new service installation is done professionally, technicians will do everything in their power, within reason, to accommodate your specific needs.

Service reliability in particular has improved. Outages are now increasingly rare. There are however still lingering problems with speeds being reduced anywhere from 25% to 60% during prime usage hours, this is decreasing in frequency and severity. It would be nice if more upload speed could be attained.

One thing I do not enjoy, however is the new automated phone system. The prior system operated by pressing number buttons, the new one is done via vocal response, and does not offer the same functionality of the past. It does not mention maintenance or outages in your area all the time, which can result in support staff having to take extra time to check these.

Comments:

Review by Turbo Mach 5 See Profile

• Location: San Augustine,San Augustine,TX
Good "Speed"
Bad "Price"
Overall "If you stay on them, they'll eventually fix it..."

·AT&T DSL Service
Ordered late October (10/1 the fastest they offer here in San Augustine), finally got it stable mid November. During that time speeds were great in the morning but come the evening: no. Would drop to ~1 Meg service. Not good at all. Called a couple times, tech came out and fixed it (changing the filter and resetting all the way into town) but still had the same problem. Well one night Suddenlink called me back, asking if I still had the trouble. Told them yes and that possibly the line that runs from the pole to the house is the issue (been up there for over 10 years). Replaced the line, reset everything back into town and haven't had an issue since (apart from the occasional drop but that's to be expected). Suddenlink has a bad reputation in this town for their cable TV though but I didn't order that, just Internet. So long as it's stable, stays stable and fast (and hey, maybe even get faster for the price I pay), I will be with Suddenlink for a bit.

Got an Arris DOCSIS 3.0 modem. Install was pretty clean and quick.

Update as of 2/23/2014

I went on and replaced the modem about a year ago with a Motorola SB6121. Great little box. Saves me some $$$ with the rental fee. Then about a few days ago, we got bumped from 10/1 to 15/1.5. And honestly I'm seeing it go a little higher. Keep on trucking Suddenlink. MUCH better than AT&T in this town now!