Suddenlink page on DSLReports

Review by DSMCasey See Profile

• Location: Sanger,Denton,TX
Good "Fastest Net in Town."
Bad "Have had some hiccups over the years with service but they have fixed."
Overall "If you have faster available, get it, if not SL may be perfect for you."

I have been with them over 9 years, back from when before they were suddenlink they were Cebridge connections in my area. Over the years there have been some issues with service such as cut lines, broken equipment (on their end), and things like that which have put my service off for a few days or even a week. However, they have fixed these issues and they are easy to contact on these forums. I also don't care for the data caps at all, but have come to live with them. The caps are 350GB for the highest tier and 250GB for the lower tiers (maybe less). You can now prepay for more bandwidth if you want and that will cost you less than going over and not prepaying.

All in All, they are the fastest in town and the service on these boards is great, the service on the help line not so much though.

Comments:

Review by PGUMBY See Profile

• Location: Leander,Williamson,TX
Good "Service,Speed tech support fixed line issue"
Bad "Cable"
Overall "Not to bad for my area."

Got the 50mb plan. Left U-verse for cable internet. I have only had two issues in 6 months and they were fixed over the phone. Modem got kicked from network.

Also one outage overnight a few months ago. I left Time Warner 14yrs ago and went to Directv for tv (still with them). Internet has been any thing or any one I could use (mainly At&t, shutters) since then. I am very pleased with my Suddenlink internet.

Comments:

Review by TurboNerd See Profile

• Location: Clovis,Curry,NM
Good "It works when it works, but if you have any problems at all see the BAD."
Bad "Tech Support Sucks, you have to go other routes to get it fixed like here on DSLReports"
Overall "Don't get any other services other than basic/expanded cable."

3 years for an ongoing phone issue (turned out to be a simple DROP that they refused to replace blaming it on equipment/house wiring for 3 years)
2 months for a recent OVERSOLD/OVERLOADED network issue where they wanted us to supply our own separate piece of equipment.

I couldn't put the real date on DAYS FROM ORDER TO SUCCESS because it only has 3 spaces I need 4.

If you have a working setup COOL for you.
MAKE SURE YOU PAY THE 5 DOLLARS A MONTH FOR UNLIMITED TECH VISITS BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT YOU WILL NEED IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM. at $50 dollars a visit it did cost us a hundred dollars for them to NOT FIX THE ISSUE.
If you have any problems at all DON'T EXPECT THEM TO FIX IT RIGHT THE FIRST, OR SECOND, OR THIRD, OR FOURTH, OR .........(I can give details/threads to explain it all) through normal channels
Normal Channels being local office visits, 1-800 tech support, and field techs.

IT TOOK COMING ON DSLReports.com TO GET SOMEBODY TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE SLOW INTERNET ISSUE and ONGOING PHONE ISSUES.

Normal Channels wanted us to spend our own money on a DOCSIS 3 modem (we don't have a DOCSIS 3 PLAN) to alleviate the slow internet issue for their OVERLOADED/(OVERSOLD) NETWORK. But DSLReports helped us by getting them to supply us with one.
Normal Channels refused to replace the DROP to the house which was the cause of the ongoing phone issues. It was the help of DSLReports and refusal to let the tech in the house to diagnose/touch anything untill he replaced the drop when he knocked on the door.

SuddenLink should do better TRAINING of their CALL CENTER MONKEYS, as well as the FIELD MONKEYS that come to your house.

I am not a cable tech nor do i profess to being one, but I knew what was wrong but was told countless times that's not the way it works.
I have limited knowledge with INTERNAL cable modems connected to a DOCSIS 1.0 CMTS from my nerd days 12.5 years ago and limited terminology knowledge but that was enough for me to diagnose my own stuff.

IF YOU WANT IT DONE RIGHT DIAGNOSE IT YOURSELF and DEMAND THE TECH DO AS YOU SAY BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW THEY JUST SWAP PARTS NOT DIAGNOSE. If they are supposed to diagnose they are just LAZY AT DOING IT. I have never underestimated the LAZINESS OF PEOPLE but it surprises me all the time.

IS SUDDENLINK HIRING, BECAUSE I CARE ABOUT THE PEOPLE, AND THE COMPANY. NOT JUST THE PAYCHECK AND BOTTOM LINE.
I TEACH THE HIGH SCHOOL KIDS THE SAME THINGS. MAYBE THEY CAN HELP YOU OUT.
HATE THE EMPLOYEES THAT CLOCK OUT AND NOT THINK ABOUT THE JOB BECAUSE THEY KEEP THEIR PERSONAL TIME PERSONAL, WORK TIME WORK.
A GOOD EMPLOYEE & GOOD COMPANY DOES/ALLOWS FOR BOTH.

TRAIN YOUR EMPLOYEES TO CARE, OR FIRE THEM & STOP HIRING MONKEYS.

PRE-SALES INFORMATION, All i want is a listing of your services and prices (regular menu price not introductory rate) none was available it needed to be entered in the computer and the lady behind the desk refused to go through all of the options. (worst rating)
INSTALL COORDINATION- the trained monkey showed up on time (as expected)
CONNECTION RELIABILITY- works when it works (hopefully you don't need TECH SUPPORT)
TECH SUPPORT- NON EXISTANT, MONKEYS WERN'T TRAINED RIGHT OR EVEN THE SAME WAY (ONE TECH WILL BLAME ANOTHER FOR NOT DOING IT RIGHT AND ON AND ON)
SERVICES-OK when it works (would get better rating if TECH SUPPORT made it work like they should figure out the issue instead of swapping out parts and (its fixed) even though they have been told it's an ongoing frequently intermittent issue)
VALUE FOR THE MONEY- would be better if they knew what they were doing.

Update (now I have the ability now)
Fall 1014
Unable to update (though comments are still locked.
Moldy pickle it was 24 years when Cox set us up and was unable to give a date they turned it on.
(Others)
I hate the fact I had to come here to resolve issues. But am glad the Suddenlink employees HERE were able to give us knowledge what's happening and when issues will be handled.
It took a while but be rest assured (knowing you are already here to read this) the representatives/techs here will resolve your issues.
Being here gets the ball rolling at least and I am now confident they will strive to keep the momentum rolling on that ball.

Speed resolution was stop gapped (going from 1 channel to 4) in spring 2013. But January 1014 issues returned appropriate information was given they resolved issues for now.
Hopefully they can be proactive instead of reactive from now on, but who knows what will happen next year concerning issues but I know where to go to get the issue resolved from now on and visiting this forum you got your ball rolling.

Dave Gillis (Sr. Vp of southwest operations) informed me that the comment Trained monkeys was a racist comment to the African American community. Not being racist (and not understanding those who are) my ignorance caused others to feel that way. And I give my apologies to all whom were offended.

Will update scores appropriately after 1 year time has passed with no issues with service past the residential end of the drop. Example in home wiring or equipment we own (cable modem belongs to suddenlink)

Comments:

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA

That's time to live, as in, how long did it take from the day your ordered to the day they showed up to hook it up
totalradio

join:2007-09-15
·Suddenlink
·Windstream

Not surprising...

Suddenlink used to have their trolls on here as well, led by the SVP Pete Abel. I don't know of anyone they've helped with their internet (or TV) problems, except to make them worse. When I had them, they got one shot to fix my internet & TV problems a few years ago, and they failed miserably. I promptly got rid of them, encouraged other to get rid of them (which most did) and I haven't looked back since. Got AT&T DSL for internet and Dish for TV. Been very happy ever since.

I feel your pain. Suddenlink is as clueless as politicians.

abnormal69

join:2003-04-19
Hollister, MO

Re: Not surprising...

I was having issues with my internet and after several calls to support, I gave up. I contacted Pete Abel on here, and my problems were resolved within a few days surprisingly. Kudos to Pete on my end.

Review by disapointed See Profile

• Location: Athens,Henderson,TX
Good "nothing"
Bad "everything"
Overall "tech support = insulting"

I may go ahead and switch to DSL soon, purely out of spite. I've had to do all the tech support for myself, exceeding the results they said were possible. Tech support with this company is non-existent, and they seem to revel in providing insults instead of answers. You'll rarely get anything but a script on the phone or copypasta online.

Comments:
Jowmu

vague post

well...ok. whatever

adam

@75.108.57.x

yep

it's because they have such a hostile work environment that turnover is absolutely ridiculous. Everyone who's lived in Tyler has worked at that place at some point, including myself. They want you to stay on edge constantly. Half of the CSR's have probably worked there for less than a couple of months. Their training is piss poor also.

Review by TheMega See Profile

• Location: Parkersburg,Wood,WV
Good "Used to be great until about a month or so ago. "
Bad "Times out when just watching YouTube. 15MB connection showing in KB up to 2MB"
Overall "Sucks ass right now. Going to turn in my cable box and turn off phone. "

Been a VIP customer for years. Going to drop both TV and Phone due to ignorance and BS. My 15MB Internet has been topping out in 2MB range with a few readings down in KB area! Support is of no help - just canned response of turn this and that off, reboot this and the other crap. I've been working on computers since `98. Well aware of computer end of it, and even a little more on some of their hardware when they say to unplug cable modem when it has an 8 hr battery backup inside it... wtf good would unplugging it do?? RESETTING it might do something?!!

Done with their crap - should cut bill $100 after dropping TV/Phone

Comments:
totalradio

join:2007-09-15
·Suddenlink
·Windstream

Hell...

The Suddenlink trolls no longer show up here anymore to "help people", not that they did any good anyway.

I got rid of them years ago when I got the same runaround from them. Got Dish for television and AT&T for internet and never looked back.

I feel your pain !

Re: Hell...

Suddenlink has never failed to disappoint me over the years. Found out today that I had been a customer since 1994.. which means I have been a Suddenlink Customer since its existence in Parkersburg, WV. My disappointment runs deep.. I've seen countless rate hikes, avoided late charges on my bill (because Suddenlink "can't control the mail").. by hand-delivering my payment each month on time the day it was due. I've noticed that all the "packages" and "deals" were reserved for only NEW customers. If you were an existing customer, clearly you didn't matter anymore. Even when you had issues or problems they'd send a guy in a truck to your house.... for a ridiculous fee of course. And most recently, after the final straw of dropping nearly 30 channels from my cable and not bothering to make any true effort to inform me.. I decided to make a switch. When returning all of my equipment on the same day my bill was due, I was told to expect a refund of 53 dollars or so? Then was billed for 247 dollars? After a call to their service center, I was again informed to disregard that bill.. I was due a refund. Today Weds. Oct. 22nd I have now received another bill! This one for 87 dollars. Again I'd call to check on the status of my refund.. when low and behold I was told this bill was right? I now have gone from a REFUND to a BILL of 85 dollars?? Impressive Suddenlink.. like I said disappointment just keeps on coming from Suddenlink. When I returned my equipment I kindly stated that if I was not happy with my new services, I'd likely return. Well.. the billing nightmare has enlightened me on that idea! Through all these years of "wonderful" treatment this company has given me in rate hikes, to digital tear-up garbage on their "free" HD channels,(which isn't free when you pay a cost for the HD box to receive the channels..pfft)... to out and out removing some twenty-something channels from my cable line-up,... as a kind thank you to me leaving them in the dust, they now claim I owe them money?? It's always been pretty clear what suddenlink has been about,.. and it certainly isn't the customer,.. it's that almighty dollar their after. Thanks for clearing it up for me. And in regards to the so-called balance due... I'll just call it even for ripping me off all these years in rate hikes and channel losses. For very poor customer service. And for not giving a damn how the customer feels about anything.

Sincerely,
Duane C. Congrove

Sincerely,

Review by georgew3 See Profile

• Location: Pflugerville,Travis,TX
Good "Good bandwidth tests"
Bad "Bad bandwidth on everything except tests. Bad netflix, bad amazon prime, etc..."
Overall "This company is malicious, /causing/ you use exceed bandwidth limits, then billing you extra"

I have deleted my review, because while it had useful information, it was too long, and a recent relevation has caused me to alter my review.

I caught Suddenlink STEALING money from me!!! they are billing me for excess bandwidth that was /caused/ by their network.

So I have directv, I only use suddenlink for overpriced, crappy Internet.

Suddenlink has been blocking, or throttling over the top video. So Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.. Don't really work through Suddenlink. This is not new, it just sets the stage for what comes next...

So with Directv, I have video on demand, so if I miss a show, I can download a copy to the DVR. At first this worked great, usually within 5 minutes you could start watching the show as the download finishes. But recently something changed. When I schedule a show to download, the download will start, but it usually doesn't finish for about a week. Then I get a warning from Suddenlink that I'm using too much bandwidth. At first I didn't make the connection to what was happening, but I spent some money to set up bandwidth accounting on my network to figure out what what was using all the bandwidth. Turns out it was my video on demand downloads.

So at first glance that seems innocent enough, tell the wife to stop downloading so many shows... But she tells me she has only downloaded 1 in the last month. I haven't downloaded any, wassup with that? So I did a download while running a protocol analyzer on the network (in my day job I'm a network expert working for a company that makes routers). What I see in the analysis of the traffic flow is that the downloads start, but never finish, they will run for a while, then be shut down. So my DVR tries again, and again, and again. So if I do one download, it will use 100% of the bandwidth for about a week, and still not be finished.

I ordered Uverse from AT&T. I have a slow connection to AT&T, but it feels about 3 times faster than Suddenlink, even though the speed I pay for through suddenlink is about 4 times the speed that AT&T sold me. When I connect my directv through it, on-demand video works better than ever. Suddenlink always gets great speed tests, usually exceeding the speed you pay for. Bandwidth tests from AT&T seem more real, and run slightly slower than the speed you pay for. To me this tells me that Suddenlink is "enhancing" speed tests to make the connection look faster than it really is. there are all sorts of ways to do this, most likely it is selective bandwidth shaping.

THIS is why we need net neutrality!!!

When looking at similar transfers, moving the Directv connection between AT&T and Suddenlink, I see the server becoming unreachable through suddenlink, while the same IP is still fine via AT&T.

But back to the rip-off... Suddenlink blocks our downloads in a manner to cause them to restart over and over, THEN they bill you for the excess bandwidth. Excess bandwidth that would never happen if they just left your traffic alone.

Avoid using Suddenlink at all costs, they are crooks!

Comments:
Pete Abel
join:2008-01-15
Saint Louis, MO

Perhaps I can help

I'm at Suddenlink's HQ office, and I'm vetted to assist customers in this forum (»Approved Suddenlink Tech Support Agents). If you're willing to IM or email (pete.abel@suddenlink.com) the name and address on the account, I'll escalate your situation to the attention of senior managers for your area.
Vtr_Racing

join:2006-09-04
Pflugerville, TX

Suddenlink

Nice write up. I had the very same issues a few years ago with them. Good product when it worked. I game frequently so it worked pretty good. It went down ALOT. Not enough techs in the field to help with issues. They tried but were overwhelmed since they were the only game in town at the time. We switched to ATT DSL and now UVERSE and its ok except they keep jacking up the price. I was considering trying Suddenlink out again but probably not now.

netflix

I don't have any streaming issues with Netflix or other over the top services. I Netflix quite a bit. I don't like the Netflix app on the TIVO though... as the menus are dog slow. But Netflix thru my Blu-ray app or the TV work just fine. I am not sure what your problem is.

Review by SpyderGurlTX0 See Profile

• Location: Krum,Denton,TX
Good "I really don't have anything good to say about them at this point"
Bad "Very unreliable internet service. We are not getting what we pay for."
Overall "Only option in my area, or I would have switched a long time ago."

We constantly have trouble with this internet service. Recently, we had consistent low download speeds for 2 to 3 months. We complained enough to finally get the contact information of an area supervisor, who told us that they knew there was a problem, but they couldn't fix it for weeks at a time. Eventually, we filed a complaint with the BBB and finally they addressed the issue and our speeds were back up to 15 / second, which is what we pay for. They also credited our account for 2 months service which was good.

Now, not even 2 months later, we are having the SAME issue again. We are back down to 0.6 download speed. We can't even open 2 webpages at the same time. We're "connected", but barely. Of course customer service can't help us. They want to send a tech, who can only tell us again there is an issue in the neighborhood. We contacted the supervisor again, who advised us that he knows there's yet ANOTHER issue, but of course he has no idea when it will be fixed. We are currently at over a week with no resolution and barely being able to use our service.

This is the worst internet service provider I have ever had to deal with. If I had another option in the neighborhood, I would have switched a long time ago. I don't even think they care since they really have no competition. I'm going to get with my neighbors and we're going to demand refunds and for the service to be fixed. I don't know what else to do! It should be illegal for them to continue to charge me and not deliver the service I'm PAYING for.

Comments:
SpyderGurlTX0

join:2013-05-08

Speed Test

This.. this is what I pay like 90 bucks a month for. I'm beyond frustrated with this company.

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3827728205

Meh

@74.196.252.x

Re: Speed Test

Sounds about the right speed for suddenlink ;3. This is pretty much an average thing for suddenlink, they oversell their internet. They would charge 2 people for a 50mbs, while giving 50 mbs to both hoping they don't use it at the same time... now imaging they do that for more than 2 the result is basically the speed you got. The most annoying part is they monopolize this in an area where there is no competition from other providers.

You can call them and they will be all nice and polite, but in reality, they can't fix this(they will send over a technician) and he will pretend like he fixed it.
Pay 90 bucks or $50, in the end you are bound to get the speed of User (X1+X2+X3)/(3).

I use to pay for 30mbs, then swapped to 15mbs. From 1am to 8am I would get the exact result, but during traffic time 5pm 11:50pm I would pray to get a 3rd of what I paid for.

Review by ashworth See Profile

• Location: New Bern,Craven,NC
Good "none, other han they talk a good line."
Bad "they sell your phone number to spammers/scammers"
Overall "do not get suddenlink internet/phone/cable."

Suddenlink is lying about dropping Viacom, they are blocking Viacom websites so we cannot watch our shows online, and they are lying about that as well(I ran an IP trace route to confirm). I have gotten more scam/spam calls than ever before and after doing some research I have found that this is common with suddenlink and it has been suggested that they are selling our phone numbers. I am going to drop suddenlink and get dishnetwork & century link even though I hate Dishes with a passion, I hate being lied to more.

Comments:
Jowmu

Lubbock, TX

selling your phone number?

and your proof that they sell your phone number is.... ????
... because you were robo-called?

This guy

@66.76.18.x

Re: selling your phone number?

All it takes is a google search to see Viacom blocking customers from viewing on their sites while in a TV dispute is Viacoms standard operating procedure

suddenlysuck

@74.192.232.x
Well, you are in Lubbock, which last time I checked was a Suddenlink call center. They giving you a bonus for standing up for Suddencrap?

abnormal69

join:2003-04-19
Hollister, MO

Huh?

And please explain how running a trace route confirms that SL is blocking you from viewing Viacom owned sites.

Re: Huh?

probably a troll... bet he works for Viacom. They are pissed that SL stood up to them.

Review by hgomez29 See Profile

• Location: Abilene,Taylor,TX
Good "Works during storms"
Bad "Capped bandwidth"
Overall "Much slower than it used to be"

I've had sudden link since they bought out Cox Communications. We had awesome service from Cox and great speeds for years. When Suddenlink took over it was good for about 6 years, this year they added a usage cap ( but neglected to tell anyone) and so our internet was off until I called and found out we had exceeded our cap of 250GB. When we signed up there was no mention of a cap and we were told it was unlimited....not true. It has been consistent when it works, we had to change our dns servers ( no big deal) since Suddenlinks was over populated. It seems to me that they over sell their nodes without actually increasing the bandwidth. We have 15MB service and get about 6-7 when the modem is first restarted, after about an hour it drops down to between 3-6 mb.

Comments:

Laura Davis

@66.76.17.x

coment

y'all need to bring back the other channels the shower place because they f****** suck and you're going to lose thousands and thousands of customers just to save a few bucks Laura Davis 806 678 5408 I'll work it out I hop with 80 employees and they've all drive job to go to direct and dish

Review by dd31879 See Profile

• Location: Boyce,Rapides,LA
Good "The service is fast when it works"
Bad "The reliability of the service is terrible along with the support"
Overall "I use it because its the only service available aside from slow satellite services."

I always have issues with packet loss, latency, and incorrect speeds. The customer support will always blame the customer (me) as having something wrong. My modem was replaced less then a 6 months ago for similar issues and ALL of the lines inside and outside my house have been replaced. The technicians never find anything wrong on my end to explain the service problems and yet they continue to send technicians out or do nothing to improve the situation by finding the cause.