Suddenlink page on DSLReports

Review by Doodr See Profile

• Location: Lubbock,Lubbock,TX
Good "Stable, 1.2 megs a second."
Bad "$"
Overall "Cheapest Non fiber high speed in town."

Been using Suddenlink since cox sold out to them in this area(had cox before that for almost 4 years). They're the best net in town hands down, anyone who complains about their suddenlink cable most likely needs to get a motorola modem and not use those crappy ambit ones that suddenlink offers. I've never had any problems with suddenlink. Plus they'll soon be offering 12mbit and higher!

Comments:

Review by semaj81 See Profile

• Location: Marietta,Washington,OH
Good "Fast reliable internet and wonderful HDTV!!!"
Bad "Non So far.. Suddenlink great as always!!"
Overall "Wonderful services for the price..."

After being with ATT and Dishnetwork for over a year it was time to go back after rate hikes ... Yes I know cable raises rates but Dish raised my monthly rate by $20 because of my plan and added premium package. Suddenlink I have had before and have NEVER had an issue with them. Their tech support is good when you need it but I never need it as nothing is ever down. Thank you suddenlink for your wonderful internet and HDTV service..

member for 11.9 years, 233 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by justanoldguy See Profile

• Location: Mineral Wells,Wood,WV
Good "service, reliability, support"
Bad "it keeps getting more expensive"
Overall "Pleasantly surprised"

When Charter dumped our area I was concerned about our future with an unknown ISP. I would have rated Charter as very average.

Suddenlink has been a big improvement. We now have friendly and knowledgeable local support, both by phone and field techs. Appointments are kept and on time. Uptime well exceeds 99%....no reason to track it.

I pay for 6 Mbps down and 256 Kbps up. Tests (speedtest.net and speakeasy.net) regularly run 5.2M-6.3M down and 250K-280K up. DSLReports flash tests are about 15% slower and Java tests are 30%-60% slower. Which to believe??

The slowest test times are run during the 3 PM to 10 PM eastern time period.

The $40 cost is for the ISP portion of my bill. I also have cable, digital cable, basic HDTV, a DVR, and just ordered replacement telephone service from Suddenlink.

I appreciate quality service!

Comments:

Review by jrl9 See Profile

• Location: Spring Hill,Johnson,KS
Good "Connection is stable, service reasonable, support okay"
Bad "Service outage 4 days following an ice storm"
Overall "I would buy from them again."

Been with cebridge (now suddenlink) since 2006. There has been only one extended outage, following an ice storm.

Started out with lower bandwidth (768k?) for $35, now using 3MB for $50/mo.

Comments:

Review by darkbladexx See Profile

• Location: Amarillo,Randall,TX
Good "Fast, Reliable, and Stable Services."
Bad "Customer Service wait times need improvement"
Overall "Suddenlink offers a stable connection for the everyday internet user."

I've been a suddenlink customer for approximately 2 months now. I live in an Apartment complex with many other suddenlink customers around in this area. Suddenlink has had a poor reputation with customer service in the Amarillo area. The Customer Service and support is absolutely lousy! The typical wait times just to talk to a representative could be anywhere from 30 minutes to over 1 hour. After one hour of waiting I gave up and went to suddenlink physically to sign up. Apparently this is the best way to get service from them, as there always seems to be long lines in the cable office every time I have been there. I ordered the Top packages which includes the 5 MB Internet and Top Ticket digital cable. They told me it would be 2 entire weeks before the connection would even be turned on. Me and my roommate set up the cable equipment ourselves, one good thing I like about suddenlink is all our cable equipment was given to us for free, even though the representative at suddenlink told us that there would be a $25 modem purchase fee, we never got charged for it. Overall we are satisfied with the service we are getting however the customer service is terrible, which could be bad for anyone who really needs help with their cable equipment.

Comments:

Review by genewitch See Profile

• Location: Leesville,Vernon,LA
Good "Er... it gets you on the internet.(good speeds, good times, now)"
Bad "Weird latency and packet loss issues(modems suck, that's it)"
Overall "get if you're only into email and nascar pages.(good now)"

considered fixed wireless, cell wireless, dsl, satellite, and Cable.

Picked cable since i hate phone companies.

My provider is technically suddenlink, but cebridge deals with everything i guess. I've been having a recurring problem with upstream values constantly changing, and the ping times aren't stable. They promised to fix it, but i haven't seen a technician about it yet. I recently got VOIP and it's suffering because of the latency issues.

However, ping times in games are good considering i'm so far away from the servers 99% of the time, download speeds are fast, and the upstream is relatively reliable @ 30-50K/second. It strikes me as a little pricey, but that's what i get for not going with DSL.
Update: ping times have gone to hell in a handbasket in games. My westcoast WoW RAC consistently pings above 200ms these days, and goes to 1500ms around 9pm. It's like satellite, but without all the prestige.

Sold as 3000/256
Average 2900/350
Best 2995/506

worst 212/110

UPDATE FEB 08:
My service is now working flawlessly. I consistently get 18-50ms pings on every online BF2 server, and my data rates are 3000/~500 all day and night. There was a busted box down the road from my house, and it was causing shorts in the bigger hub upstream, evidently a TON of users in my area were having problems, even though there's only a handful of people on that particular node. The thing that pisses me off is that they took 3 months to fully resolve the issue, instead giving me a bunch of nonsense.

Oh well, i'd recommend this, if you have patience and the ability to contact the FCC and BBB offices in your state. they will take care of it for you (and the mere threat of it is enough to get suddenlink's butt in gear over it)

all in all, now that it's working i'd say it's worth what i pay, $42 a month.

Comments:

Review by Zatochi See Profile

• Location: Bossier City,Bossier,LA
Good "Reliable and fast"
Overall "I would recommend"

I'm testing at 8500/550 on a 8000/528 connection. Not too shabby. My service
has been down once in 3 years and then it was only down for 2 hours. I supplied my own Motorola SB5100 modem.

Comments:

Review by double b26 See Profile

• Location: Salem,Harrison,WV
Good "Reasonable Price"
Bad "Raising Rates, Unannounced Changes in Service/Bill"
Overall "If its your only option, its better than nothing"

when it comes to suddenlink (formerly cebridge), i have a mixed review. i guess i will start with the good, then move on to the bad. first though, i would like to say that i have had both cable tv (expanded basic, not digital) and high-speed internet through them for a little more than 2 years now. i live in rural west virginia, and besides dish or direct tv, there are no other high speed internet options in the area at this time. so, on with the review...

the good

the best part is the price. i get expanded basic coax cable tv and internet service bundled for about $65 per month, before taxes and fees. after tax and fees, its more like $68 or so. when i signed up 2 years ago (fall of 2005), it was only $61, but the rates have since gone up. the internet connection is pretty reliable. it goes down once every few months for a couple of hours, if that. when i have had a problem, the tech guys came within a day or two and fixed the issue (rented modem got power surged and needed replaced). so all in all, a thumbs up in those aspects.

the bad

im afraid the bad may outweigh the good. i have had several issues with service and billing.

to begin with, the company went by the name cebridge when i signed up. earlier this year they changed to suddenlink (spring of 2007). shortly after, i noticed a substantial jump in my bill... it went from around $65 to about $88 per month, for the exact same service. upon inspecting the back of my statement, i noticed that i was no longer getting a package discount. usually the bill would say $x for expanded basic, -$x bundle discount, etc. well that was no longer being deducted from my bill. i called them up and told the phone rep that i was not getting a package discount like before and wanted to know why. she said that, according to the computer, i was not on a package. i told her that i used to be, and that it ran about $65 for cable tv and internet. she did some looking and found a package (the one i was one before) that included everything i currently had, and it would run about $65 a month. i said that sounded good, and was 'repackaged'. that package included expanded basic and a 1mb download/256k upload internet connection. after that, the bill was back to normal, although it is still a mystery to me how and/or why i was removed from it to begin with. my advise to anyone using, or considering to use, suddenlink would be to carefully examine your bill each month.

after the billing change incident, everything was fine for a few more months. then in august of 2007, i noticed a sharp drop in my internet speed. it was so bad that i could not stream a youtube video without pausing it at the beginning and letting it build half way or more. if i didnt, it would play 10 or 15 seconds, then pause for the stream to catch up for another 10 seconds or so. when playing on xbox live, my connection bar on halo would be constantly dipping into the mid level yellow. and if my girlfriend got online and loaded a couple web pages while i was playing, it would drop into the red and i would start lagging all over the place. so, i ran some speed tests to see just what i was getting. turns out that at 2:30ish in the morning, i was only pulling about 300k download and 125 upload. keep in mind, i was paying for the 1mb/256k connection. and this was in the middle of the morning on a weekday, not even close to peak usage times. being almost 3am, i didnt call customer service because the billing dept is closed by then. instead i wrote an e-mail to then stating my complaints with the service (not rude, very professional). the next couple of days i had to work long hours, so contacting them was not high on my priority list. that weekend, while i was surfing the net, and decided to run a few more speed test just to be sure the issue wasnt a fluke. i got similar results as before. then, all of the sudden my connection cut off. i was about to call them up to see what the deal was. before i could dig out my bill for the phone number, it was back on. so i decided to run some more speed tests. low and behold, i was then clocking around 900k down and 245 up. so i didnt bother calling them, since apparently the e-mail had the desired effect. yet, i still dont know why my connection had been capped at such a low amount when i was paying for much more. i dont use it for much more than xbox live, web surfing and the occasional youtube video streaming, so its not like i use much bandwidth. either way, it was fixed, and i was once again a happy customer. that was right around the first of september, 2007.

all was fine from then up to about a week or so ago.. the middle of december. once again, i noticed that my connection seemed slow, and i was getting lag on the xbox. so, i ran some speed tests. this time i was getting about 400 download and 135 up... about half of the norm. so i called up the tech support to ask what was up. the tech guy tells me that my plan shows that i am paying for a 256 down/256 up connection, not a 1mb. i told him that i have had this same plan for over 2 years now and it is supposed to be 1mb. (heck, i have the work order from 2 years ago in my file showing that it was a 1mb connection, and bills from then to now showing that i have been paying for the same package the entire time... with the exception of the billing problem mentioned above. yet all of the sudden, im not paying for that?) i asked him if there had been a change to the service agreement or anything in the last month. of course, he was a tech and didnt know about that stuff, and he transferred me to the billing dept. (okay, whatever... as long as i can get to the bottom of this where my thoughts.) so i get to the billing department and talk to someone else who says the same thing... the computer shows that i have a 256/256 connection, not 1mb. so i asked him if there had been any recent agreement changes and he said that he was not aware of any. he told me that if there had been, i would have gotten a letter saying so. (i didnt get anything from them other than the bill.) he then goes on to tell me that his office just recently started taking calls for my service area, and that he was not familiar with the packages they offered here. he told me that he would have someone call me back the next day to discuss this further. i said alright, and told him that i had to work and to make it after 4pm. he said that he would put that in the call request. turns out i didnt have to work because of the bad weather, and all day i was home... no one called. so last night i called again. i explained that someone was supposed to call me back, but never did. this person told me basically the same thing... they didnt know about the service in this area and would have someone call me today that was better informed. he also said that there was no call request showing on my file, so apparently the first person never put it through. but he assured me that he was putting one in on the spot, and someone would definitely call me today (day 3). again i said to make it after 4pm because i had to work. well, again i didnt have to work today and guess what? no one called. it is nearly 10pm now, and i have been home and awake since 6:30 this morning, no call. so, when i get done with this review, i will have to call them again, and im sure 'someone will call me tomorrow.' im getting pretty fed up, to be honest.

i think i forgot to mention... my bill this month, with the lower bandwidth, is exactly the same as it usually is... about $65. so what i dont get is this: if there have not been any changes to the service (same package price, but with slower speeds), then why is it that i have had a 1 mb connection for over 2 years and now, all of the sudden, its only 256k, but my bill is exactly the same price. i would think that if i was getting a slower speed, at least my bill would drop a few dollars to reflect that change! oh yeah, and i also forgot to mention that during the first call (day 1), the billing guy told me that he could upgrade my connection to a 1mb for an extra $10 per month. i said no, because i was getting that speed for the price i pay now, and have paid for the past 2 years. another thing that may or may not be related is the new statement layout they started this month. they changed the statements so they 'are easier to understand', and also change the account numbers. im thinking that perhaps something got mixed up with the account number being changed... i dont know. but i think its odd that all this happens the same month as the new statements and account numbers are in effect. ultimately, i have decided that if this isnt fixed by tomorrow evening, i will drop my tv service, and just keep the internet, but pay for the 1mb... about $28 a month. i would drop the internet also, but its the only provider in my area, unless i go with a satellite company, and they are expensive. plus you have to deal with weather knocking out the signal, etc. but i already own a dish network system and dvr. i can pay them for tv and keep the cable internet and end up getting double the channels, better picture quality, and save a few dollars a month to boot. so if this isnt fixed, i will do what i can to take my money elsewhere. here are a couple speed test results to show the difference... (see end of post)

thanks for reading. ill post an update if and when i get this resolved.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------

UPDATE 12/28/07: the saga continues...

alright, so i called them up again, on the third day and spoke with another person. i explained to her that i have had a package deal including expanded basic cable and a 1mb internet connection for about $65. she kept telling me that i must not have, because the record shows i have a 256k. i told her that i had been a customer for over 2 years, i have the work orders from when i added internet, and i have nearly every bill from the past 2 years... all showing that i had a 1mb connection installed and it was always around $60-65, depending on the date due to rate increases over time. she still didnt think i was right, so i told her to just upgrade the 256k to a 1mb connection, and give me the new monthly price. she told me that it would be $77 a month. im not sure how she got that figure since i only pay $43 for expanded basic and $21 for the 256k connection, and the 1mb upgrade was only $10 more.. which should equal around $74 a month. at that point though, i was sick of trying to get things straightened out, so i said, 'fine, just hook it up'. she then goes on to tell me that the $77 was a promotional rate, and after 3 months it would jump up another $12 per month. at this point my head was about to explode from all the double-speek. but i said that was fine (i figured that would give me 3 months to get my dish system hooked up and ready to go, then i would just shut the tv service off completely, and just keep the internet). so that was that, and now my internet is running very well most of the time. for a 1mb connection, i am pulling in about 1100kb/s (thanks to the tcp optimizer), so its actually more than i pay for. but the story doesnt end here!

so here i am, in 1mb happy land thinking i had gotten everything squared away... then the bill comes. i got a bill for $97. i just couldnt believe it! not more than a week ago i had spoke with at person and they told me it would be $77, and here i get it and they want almost $100!! so i look at the break-down page to see what the big charge is. my expanded basic tv jumped up from $43 to $49. the internet also went up to reflect the 1mb upgrade (including $3/month modem rental, from $21 to $34). then there are a bunch of other "one time charges" on there for data and video. the data is also from the 1mb upgrade, but the video i have no clue what its about.

so cut and dry, i am sick of dealing with this company and their constant bill changes. not to mention that there was also a slip of paper in the bill saying that rates were going up AGAIN. so i called today and told the woman to take EVERYTHING off the account except for the 1mb internet and cable modem lease (that includes all tv service and some line maintenance plan). so my new monthly bill is supposed to be $33.95 for a 1mb internet connection and the modem lease. as far as the modem goes, im going to go buy my own within the next month, so they had better enjoy billing me for that while they can!! after paying $3 per month to rent theirs over the past 2 years, i could have bought my own by now anyway. ive already looked into it, and for the fluctuating $40-50 they bill me for expanded basic (58 channels of poor quality), i can get 200+ channels from dish network, and in a lot better quality with stereo sound. so im going with that. if i could get internet from someone else, i would. their internet is working good now, but just on principle, i would love to spend my money elsewhere.

Comments:

Review by MarkRH See Profile

• Location: Stillwater,Payne,OK
Good "Good speeds and reliability over last several months"
Bad "Spotty service/bad speeds right after take over from Cox"
Overall "After kinks worked out, have been pleased with service."

Update: as of Mid October, 2007, I have since moved and no longer use Suddenlink. I am in Oklahoma City, OK now and back with Cox Communications. Since my original review below, I have had no problems with service or any complaints, at least none that I can remember now. Disconnecting service was no hassle and I got a partial refund on the part of the month I did not use.

Original review:

Suddenlink took over Cox in my area so I had no experience with pre-sales or installation from Suddenlink persee so I just rated those as average. There were a few months of erratic service and speed issues which caused a few techs to come to the apartment back in Sept/October. Nothing was wrong with my equipment. There were alot of Cox/Suddenlink trucks around town during this time.. and the techs did mention I was in an overloaded node and things were being reconfigured. I rated the overall tech support as average since the phone support and infield techs somewhat offset each other. The infield techs had more knowledge and insight into what was really going on.. the phone support people were a mixed bag.. some good, some useless.

After all the kinks had been worked out of the system here, things have been running good and is what I am basing my connection and services on. Here's a couple test results:

»/im/28206768/6677.png

and from earlier in prime time:

»www.speedtest.net/result/113762240.png

I am using a Motorola SB5120 modem and the cost is for internet service only. I also have digital cable and a DVR. The TV portion is $26.91. Basic cable comes with the apartment so I'm only paying for digital services.

member for 9.4 years, 2451 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by thegame56 See Profile

• Location: Charleston,Kanawha,WV
Good "Extremely fast speeds"
Bad "A little pricey"
Overall "For the area of charleston wv you cant beat this connection"

I started with 3mb service with 256kb upload got a free upgrade to 6mb service 256kb upload and now I just got a 3rd upgrade for only $20 more to 12mb service and 800kb upload. Sure its a bit pricey but for $60 a month the speed is great. I have been using SuddenLink since it was charter I have never really had any problems except for some minor line trouble but they were here the next day and it was fixed in 10 minutes by replacing a line.

»www.speedtest.net/result/214438833.png