Suddenlink page on DSLReports

Review by Nyron See Profile

Good "Relatively reliable."
Bad "Pretty much no customer service or support"
Overall "Previously gave them a perfect score but their service has went down hill recently"

When Charter brought cable modems to Beckley I was one of the first to obtain one. I can still remember the tune of the shark fin modem, as it often reset letting me know there were problems. That always seemed to be the issue with Charter, when I moved to Teays Valley it was really no different. My connection would drop several times a week. This led me away from Charter and I had dsl for a few years.

Upon moving to Charleston, dsl was not available for my address so I had to go with Suddenlink. I was very hesitant since they had bought Charter a few years back and had read horror stories. Initially, I was impressed with Suddenlink but the customer service has began to deteriorate. There is very poor coordination among the local office and call center/internet support staff.

Overall, the speed is consistent and the service is reliable but again, getting help when you need it can be frustrating. I had previously given them a perfect score but I think this update more accurately reflects their service now.

Comments:

Review by kujars See Profile

• Location: Elkview,Kanawha,WV
Good "Super fast"
Bad "Gotta pay a 10$ modem rental fee"
Overall "Faster than dsl, but more expensive"

I've been content with this connection. I get 20mb down and burst 40mb with a 2mb upload speed. I love this connection, I can download 5 gigabytes in around 45-40 mins. It averages out at 2.5MB/s

Comments:

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA

modem fee

just go buy one off the shelf if you intend to hold your internet provider longer than 1 year. modem should pay for itself in saved rental fees in 9-10 months

Review by marcusj3000 See Profile

• Location: Alexandria,Rapides,LA
Good "Quick setup!"
Bad "They might start with the Crappy caps"
Overall "Faster than Ma Bell and cheaper too!"

UPdate: 21 Oct 2011
Speeds still good and service has only been out once after a storm.

Update 25 September 2009
No problems with the service. The speed keeps increasing which is nice. The price for the top tier is kinda pricey but the alternative is the Deathstar AT&T. DSL speed increase is done since suddenlink has just left At&t behind and U-verse is like a good 5 years away for this area. Overall they have a done a good job . gave up on the digital phone ecuase it takes to long to have it setup so now I have VOIP service thru LINGO with no problems at all.

Update 15 October 2008
I have gotten there service again because I now live in a new home and the speed of DSL just isn't cutting it anymore. DSL is dieing a slow painful death and it can't hold a candle to the speed cable keeps progressing to. They have seemed to have corrected some of their problems and currently is a good buy right now.

UPDATE 03/28/2006
I have switch backed to AT& T. Seems that they are indeed throttling speed and blocking ports now. They are also trying out packet inspection technology. What good is the speed when downloading big files and working from home when thy block ports I need to use, cut the throttle speed and make excuses that they are not. I wish they would sell my area to someone else because it was better when cox was here.

I got a 10 / 768 connection and couldn't be happier since AT&T is raising prices and don't plan on digging out of the grave their DSL service is in. Install was smooth since I already had cable TV thru them, just picked up the modem and boom I was online again. I will be order Digital Phone service form them to finally escape the clutches of the death star. I luv the fact that after I bundle all three I will still be paying less than when I had a landline phone and internet thru bellsouth now the new deathstar.

member for 11.1 years, 1488 visits, last login: 151 days ago

Comments:

Review by Rodneykeene See Profile

• Location: Charleston,Kanawha,WV
Good "Reliable connection"
Bad "Wish the speed was faster"
Overall "$30 for a 10 MPS connection"

All in all I like Suddenlink. I get 10 MPS for $30, wish it was faster but it's fast enough. Never lose connection.

Comments:

Review by skitz0ut See Profile

• Location: Abilene,Taylor,TX
Good "speeds are over advertised, 98% uptime"
Bad "price is a little high"
Overall "great internet service that you pay for"

I have the 20/2mb plan. costs $70, give or take a few dollars. I get way over the download, with is a good positive. In fact, i get about 10mb over the speed i pay for, which is a first for me. Install and order went quick and easy. There was a firmware update to my modem a few months after install, that made my network bug out, if i wasn't tech savy, it would have been a problem. The tech support guys seem to really be in the blind. The internet mods know a lot more then the phone people do.I have tried verizon here, they were good at first, then i got a line problem they couldn't fix, so i switched.I had suddenlink a few years back, and service now is 200% better. All in all, here in San Angelo, you just cant beat suddenlink. Price might be a little on the high side, but its well worth it in my book.

Update: Noticed that the review was in the bad category. It should have been in the good.

Comments:

Review by james.scott

• Location: Kingwood,Harris,TX
Good "The price"
Bad "Everything after the price. (Serious I'm not trying to be funny)"
Overall "They owm me money and there is no urgency to get it back to me. which tells me they don't care if they win me back."

I recently tried to use Sudden link Communications. I can only say the
experience from start to finish was horrible.

I have a home office. I have very specific needs for both. I was put on a
residential line for my internet when I told them it was a business service.
Then it never worked cutting out over and over. The residential TV did not
have all the features and I TOLD the tech at the time. They did nothing. He
was working off a broken iPhone and did not have all my installation
instruction with him. They left the wires LAYING on the floor. They did not
even bother to tack them up.

Finally after three days of intermediate service I asked for a tech to come
out. They would not send anyone for 2 days. That was it.

I took my equipment back and asked for my money back. Of course even though
I gave them cash three weeks later I still do not have my money and it is
still pending.

This company has centralized a lot of management away from their branches
making the branches kiosks instead of customer service centers where you can
build relationships. I called Century Link and got more personal service and
was still able to bundle my TV in to get a discount.

Sudden link's business model is a fail because they have too many layers
before you get to anyone vested in making your experience right.

James Scott

(review was emailed from domain pd-logistics.com)

Comments:

Review by benk016 See Profile

• Location: Muskogee,Muskogee,OK
Good "Excellent consistent speeds, good HD video, great customer service"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "Great deal for the price. Best customer service I've ever had."

Switched from 6mb DSL to 20/2 Cable with suddenlink. I currently pay $117.00 a month for 20/2Mb internet, and expanded digital + hd dvr. I bought the D3 modem through them for $75 one time fee. I have had a consistent speed since it was turned on, except for a time when there was a line issue that was quickly resolved by chatting with customer support. I highly suggest suddenlink to anyone looking for new service. They don't do contracts at all, I asked if I could do a contract to get a cheaper price and they said its not even an option! I really like this.

member for 3.1 years, 542 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Hinkster See Profile

• Location: Elkview,Kanawha,WV
Good "No lapse in Service during transition to cable telephone service"
Bad "When there is a problem they are difficult to reach. No phone or net."
Overall "Wish there were more competition for better rates"

Once you can get in touch with them problems are resolved quickly.

I have added their phone service and amazingly my phone lines are clear without continuous pops and cracks that neither verizon nor ATT could ever repair. F the damn phone companies and may they die slow withering deaths as they lose customer after customer to better rates, service, and quality.

Kudos to Suddenlink because they appear the next day or that day to repair what it takes Verizon 2 weeks to get to. I was without telephone for 4 weeks last summer waiting for them to get to me and then fix the phone. If that had been my internet service I would have been irate.

member for 11.3 years, 5084 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by BryanC1968 See Profile

• Location: Elkins,Randolph,WV
Good "Fast Download Speeds"
Bad "need Faster Upload Speeds"
Overall "Solid and Reliable Service"

I have had Suddenlink HSI service (6M/256K) for several years now now and I am very satisfied with the service.. I also have their VoIP phone service and am very satisfied with it as well. I recently moved across town and had to have my service moved and everything went smoothly... I only wish that they would upgrade the speeds in my area like they have been doing in other parts of my state...

Update: 07/09/2011

Still waiting on speed upgrades in my area... I have all three of their services (TV, Phone, Internet), and have been very satisfied with it.. I have only had a few miner problems over the years that I have been with suddenlink... We just need an increase in speed, especially the upload speed...

member for 11.1 years, 4074 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by WVUFloydFan See Profile

• Location: Charleston,Kanawha,WV
Good "Several speed tiers to choose from."
Bad "Horrible tech support"
Overall "Happy with internet, TV & support can be dissapointing"

Update 7/5 - After my previous rant, felt the need to provide another update. I would like to say that I am pleased with my internet service. I do seem to consistently get the 10M I subscribe to, and feel like I'm getting a good value for the money I spend. I sometimes tend to let my bad support/customer service issues, and TV related issues cloud my overall judgement. I really have no internet service complaints and just thought that should be acknowledged. Also, very happy with support I've received via Pete and the other SL reps on the board. Just wish that was more common with our local reps.

Update 7/2 - I was super excited when I heard SuddenLink would be offering TiVO DVRs. Never liked the Scientific Atlanta boxes (been through several and they are all horribly slow and generally unresponsive, plus lack any real useful features), but didn't want to give up VOD to get my own TiVO. I knew it would be awhile before we got them in Charleston, but they announced the deal almost a year ago and started rolling out in Texas in December. I noticed the SuddenLink TiVO website no longer said only available in Texas markets, so I decided to contact customer service and see if there was any update as to when they would be available here. To my surprise, I was told I could have one now, quoted the exacted cost ($18/month, which is what I've heard they charge in the areas that have it), and told a tech would be here today to install.

I re-arrange some things in my entertainment center, even unhook my existing DVR, all in preparation for my new TiVO box. The tech shows up with two cable cards, and asks me where my TiVO is. Tries to tell me I need to go buy one, that the box I just unhooked was "SuddenLink's TiVO". I actually had to pull up the website and show him the SuddenLink TiVO box. He calls someone, then tells me I should call customer service. I call, and after much discussion on their end to figure out what I'm even talking about, am of course told they aren't available yet to the " general public" here (turns out the CSR I originally chatted with was in Texas and didn't bother to actually check availability). Not sure if that means they can get them for certain people or what (I've heard supervisors in rollout areas get early access and figure one could probably be obtained for the right person), but was told they would be THINKING about getting them here EVENTUALLY. Went from thinking my TiVO was on the way, to being told they MAY get them here eventually.

Just another disappointment from SuddenLink. It sucks I couldn't get one, but wouldn't have been so bad if I was simply told that when I asked when/if they would be available the first time, or if I had not made arrangements to be here for the installation, or if there was even any hope of them being here soon. Just can't see any reason the box can work somewhere else, but can't work here. It's also pretty sad when just about everyone I spoke to in my area didn't even know they existed. Not much hope we'll be getting them soon, when no one appears to know they even exist. I've seen many articles and blogs touting the TiVO partnership, but somehow their own employees don't know they exist.

The icing on the cake, is after being informed the boxes were truly not available, I then get the sales pitch for adding SuddenLink phone service. Not an offer to discount my bill or do something to make up for the mix up, but an attempt to get more money out of me. The associate I spoke to on the phone was nice about the situation and I'm sure was just following protocol, but it just annoys me to no end that I've just been run around by SuddenLink, and they're trying to upsell me after being told countless times I only have a cell phone and don't want/need home phone.

Original Post- Had the service for 3+ years. Started with I believe 6M, that was bumped to 8 and now 10. Seemed to remember the initial install being pretty smooth, but have never really been happy with support. The call centers seem to tell you anything they can to get you off the phone, and the techs that are sent out don't usually do much more than say "Yep, you seem to be having the problem you said you were having. We'll have to send somebody else later to actually try to fix the issue."

Probably the best value for the money in the area, and is usually pretty reliable. Just generally not a fan of SuddenLink service in general, but that is pretty heavily influenced by my cable tv experience with them being pretty bad.