Suddenlink page on DSLReports

Review by chedlin See Profile

• Location: Pflugerville,Travis,TX
Good "Fast, low pings, reliable, fairly priced"
Bad "Port filters on 25 and 80"
Overall "The best I can do for a 20/2 connection"
(ratings well above consensus)

When I moved to Pflugerville a year and a half ago I was still running a mail server and a small web server. My service choices were 6/.75 DSL or 8/.5 cable with filtered ports for about the same price. I chose the higher upload speed and no filtered ports.

I really wanted faster speed and I was tired of administering my server. I saw Suddenlink's press release for the 107 service (too expensive) but assumed I could find something in between.

I moved mail to Google Apps Standard and the web hosting to a shared hosting provider and ordered the 20/2 service. I purchased my Motorola Surfboard extreme at Best Buy to avoid the cable modem rental fee.

I have had the service for 3 weeks and I never had service this good from Road Runner. The burst speeds have reached 70mbps. My uploads are ALWAYS 2mbps, and the the downloads are a consistent 20+.

Time Warner and AT&T also prohibit servers on residential connections but keep that as a tool in case the service load is abusive. I wish Suddenlink would have the same policy instead of blocking the ports.

Comments:

Review by Caebul See Profile

• Location: Lubbock,Lubbock,TX
Good "Steady reliable service"
Bad "Mcafee in stead of Norton"
Overall "Best in my town as far as isp"

I have used at&t DSL, and, of course, since suddenlink is cable, is faster. However, the customer service is also more reliable, because they are right here in my town, don't have to dial a toll free number. They delivered and installed an aries cable modem, with a long enough cable to move the modem if I so chose. Came and installed on the day they specified, within an hour of the specified time.

Comments:

Review by wingpal See Profile

• Location: Marietta,Washington,OH
Good " Dependable speed"
Overall "Reliable service"

8 Meg connection and the order and install process was very good. I had no other options to go with except dial up.

member for 14.8 years, 3269 visits, last login: 3.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by sup2069 See Profile

• Location: Abilene,Taylor,TX
Good "10 Minutes to order, 10 minutes im surfing the net!"
Bad "Slow speeds"
Overall "Too unreliable to invest your hard earned money into"
(ratings well above consensus)

I've heard a lot of bad reviews for Suddenlink while searching for a decent ISP for my downloading and gaming habits. On base there is limited amount of choices that I could choose from and Suddenlink was the least on my list. A friend of mine who lived two doors down allowed me to patch into his router so i could surf the Internet till I got my own. To make a long story short, I found out that he had Suddenlink and boy was it fast. Constant speeds and reliability had me confident that I would get the same results.

The day I ordered Internet from Suddenlink was the day I was a happy man again. After a 10 minute phone call, my Internet was activated from their office! It must be setup that way for military bases, but boy I was happy to not have to wait to surf the Internet. Borrowed a modem from another friend who had swapped modems for a better one and I was up and running. Internet speed test show me slightly over the reported speeds the sales rep. told me. Gaming online in World of Warcraft and Counterstrike-Source are all low 40 pings.

Just the beginning of this week, Suddenlink upgraded their speeds from 5mbs/512kbs to 10mbs/1mbs for premium users. I was a preferred customer only getting 8mbs/512kbs on the new upgrade, but I wanted the max speeds. Called them up today and she informed me it would be upgraded within minutes within their systems. Came back inside to test the speeds out and to my surprise I was already upgraded!

To those of you who are unsure if you should try out Suddenlink, I would suggest you give them a try. Like the old saying goes, "You can never judge a book by its cover..."

UPDATE:

8 December 2007

My speeds have been fluctuating so much playing any online game is a nightmare. Trying to Play WoW is a chore due to the massive lag spikes and disconnects. This company needs to get their act together; they were doing so well for me up to this point. I am changing my ratings to reflect this period of chaotic service.

UPDATE:

17 October 2008

I've been having extremely slow internet connection these past few days. But due to my patience with CS and working with them, I have gotten two of the technicians (I have talked with) email and submitted my speedtests and tracerts of my horrible speeds. I have their confirmation of forwarding my email to their bosses. I am optimistic in the resolution of this matter.

UPDATE:

18 January 2009

Internet speeds have gone south with no signs of a resurface. I have not talked with the two technicians since that day. Every other few days since mid October I have been having the same bandwith chokes from 4 PM till about 12 AM. I have cancelled my service with Suddenlink a few days before deployment and probably will not re-subscribe. As of now this review is now final unless I decide to give Suddenlink another chance.

UPDATE:

7 Aug 2009

Just got back from deployment and decided to try Suddenlink. I ordered Suddenlink they activated my services with the 8MB Tier. After moving into my new apartment, I tried to surf the net but my modem would not connect. After talking with a sweet technician (her name will not be announced), she stayed on the line with me and helped me troubleshoot my modem sync problem (40 minutes!) I am now surfing with speeds tests ranging from 6mb to 7mb on an 8mb tier. It is 2:36 AM and I will have to test this on peak hours for more accurate results. I have changed my ratings to reflect this current review update.

UPDATE:

1 November 2009

I was really hoping I wouldnt have to update this review again after having such great progress with Suddenlink 8mbit tier. Well sad to say I have experienced slow speeds while streaming Netflix through my xbox360. I ran a speedtest and now I am only getting 10% of my bandwith that I am paying for. If this keeps up in a month, I will change services.

UPDATE:

28 April 2010

I talked with Pete Abel back in November about my problem. He helped with me with my internet speed issue and things have been smooth for over 5 months now. A month or so ago suddenlink rolled out the 20mb connection in my area and bumped their customers up a tier. With my 10mb tier doing so well, I went out today and upgraded to their 20mb tier and bought the new modem. So far things are AWESOME! My first speed test were: 35mb down and 1.7mb up (4400/220) roughly. I will update again in a week or in a few months with long term results and experiences. Stay tuned!
I am now upping my review marks.

Comments:

Review by ungawd See Profile

• Location: New Haven,Mason,WV
Good "Hassle-free ordering and installation, Very fast and stable"
Overall "Everything I wanted from an ISP and more"
(ratings well above consensus)

Two months ago in a fit of rage over the ADSL service provided by Frontier I called and setup an installation for Suddenlink's cable internet. The representative I spoke with was very cordial and forthcoming. He didn't hesitate and answered all my questions and alleviated my concerns involving the service. The entire process was completed in under ten minutes.

The installer, a subcontractor from Baker Installations, arrived punctually and had everything necessary for a complete connection/installation. The wiring of my home isn't shoddy, but is possibly quite dated for data usage. Being as how I currently have and love DirecTV and the line coming in being fed through the attic to the basement, the installer ran a new line from the pole. This was probably for the best since the old hanging line would have been twenty or more years old. The total installation took no more than an hour and fifteen minutes.

My other option for broadband in this area was Frontier's ADSL service. In the two years I had the service (no idea why I even had it that long) it was never very good. It is probably safe to say that a great dial-up connection would have been better.

From Suddenlink I ordered the 20Max (20Mbps/2Mbps) package @ $70/mo. To my delight, it has so far been much more than that. My average speed tests to major peering points within ~650 miles have averaged an astounding 48.5Mbps/2.06Mbps.

I am using the Suddenlink supplied Motorola SB6120 Docsis 3.0 compliant modem.

The only issues I have had thus far have stemmed from cable system upgrades that spanned two days. From what I gathered, Suddenlink has just upgraded some equipment in relation to the addition of HD services in the area. I do not have their television service so this information is coming from neighbors. Also, it seems, they are phasing out at least Docsis 1.1/1.0 compliant devices as my neighbor had to have a new SB6120 installed shortly after those hectic two days.

One very positive note is that prior to these upgrades I did not receive my full 2Mbps upload speed (average was ~1.85Mbps). Since last week my average upload speed has been rock solid at 2.06Mbps.

After having Suddenlink's cable internet for two months now, I could not be happier with any other service.

Comments:

Review by HawgGuy See Profile

• Location: Snyder,Scurry,TX
Good "Good max speeds in rural location. Excellent service"
Bad "Evening slowdown, node saturation"
Overall "Friendly local service & responsive customer support"
(ratings well above consensus)

Switched from AT&T DSL. From signup to activation a very good experience. Friendly people at the local office in our small town & regional support. The few issues I've had have been met with competent & pleasant service.

Addendum 4/13/10 - They seemed to have fixed the evening slowdown issue I was experiencing.

member for 13.1 years, 796 visits, last login: 3.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by XLIV See Profile

• Location: Bossier City,Bossier,LA
Good "Good speeds.Always connected."
Overall "Very good ISP."
(ratings well above consensus)

Very happy with Sunndenlink.

Comments:

Review by wreckem4 See Profile

• Location: Lubbock,Lubbock,TX
Good "Newer speeds are as advertised"
Bad "My old 10mbps connection never came close to reaching advertised speeds"
Overall "The 36mbps package is worth the extra money"

I originally had the 8mbps package from Suddenlink, they recently bumped this up to 10mbps. The connection was no where near 10mbps. I recently upgraded to the 36mbps package and am thoroughly pleased. Install/setup was easy, all I had to do was swap out the old modem with the new one I picked up from the office.

Unlike others I never have really suffered any outages and have never had any problems with Suddenlink.

The price for the 36 is $75 standalone, $65 with cable. My total Suddenlink bill comes to $101.16 but that is with Digital Cable/HD DVR/HD Plus/HBO + the internet connection. I also should note that is a discounted rate, the rate should be around $125/month but my apartment complex pays for internet and extended basic.

»www.speedtest.net/result/7476478 ··· 7867.png

Comments:

Review by shortfilmguy See Profile

• Location: Tyler,Smith,TX
Good "Cheap and Fast"
Overall "Best deal for access in the area"

Ever since they upgraded to DOCSIS 3.0 my modem has had trouble from time to time. The modem will randomly loose the connection and then get stuck in "Upstream Ranging" anywhere from 5 minutes to 12 hours. I have replaced the modem and had multiple calls to SL and they even sent someone out to look. Personally I think it is something to do with a problem in the return path between my modem and the fiber node (bad line amp or tap?).

Other than that the service is great. I was recently upgraded from 8mb/512kb to 10mb/1mb. The 1mb upstream is great for doing Mozy Backups, ect.

Comments:

Review by twostaffi See Profile

• Location: Charleston,Kanawha,WV
Good "Service is great from the start. In my area it is up over 90% of the time. It keeps getting faster no additional cost to me!"
Bad "It's a little on the hard side to get them to come to your house. I think that is mostly Baker."

We ordered 6, in a few months got 8, and now I get over 10mbps. I still pay $35 for it. I only have had service problems when there has been sever weather. I can't find anything I don't like about it now that I live where I do.