Suddenlink page on DSLReports

Review by cosoft See Profile

• Location: Bossier City,Bossier,LA
Good "When it works, it's fairly fast"
Bad "When it works are the key words"
Overall "Cox was FAR more reliable"

We didn't get Suddenlink by choice, we were served by Cox Cable and Suddenlink took over. Suddenly, it's junk.

We never had an issue, not one, with Cox. Now we have frequent outtages. The last time they sent a tech out, he claimed our modem was bad, so we replaced it at an expense of $70...and still the problems. I suspect there was never a thing wrong with our modem. Tech "support" is a joke, at best, and mostly consists of "did you reset your modem?".

We've had two outtages tonight already, and the service is too unreliable for anyone who needs constant connectivity, such as playing an online game or streaming internet radio.

If you have ANY other option than Suddenlink, choose it. We're seriously considering going back to DSL.

UPDATE:

Well, tech has been here twice. We're not getting quite as many outages. The tech did mention to my wife tonight that SuddenLink "hasn't really been taking your complaints seriously, but now we're getting complaints from other customers on your node". Ya think?

Here's a speed test at 11:15pm this evening, not exactly prime time....1285 down/452 up

Uplink is just fine, download speed barely cracks surface of what we had with DSL. Now with the advent of DSL Extreme 7Mbps service being available in the area, and being cheaper than cable as well, there's a wind change a'coming...especially since ATT Southeast (formerly Bell South) is offering $125 cashback to customers who switch from cable...

Comments:

Review by sbyte2 See Profile

• Location: Gallipolis,Gallia,OH
Good "Good speed, Fast install, Great Reliabilty"
Bad "Little expensive"
Overall "Great value for the money"

»/linequality/nil/2271824

Those are my line quality, and speedtest both which are pretty good. Im very satisfied with suddenlink. The only thing is I'm suppose to be getting 6 meg service but i never see 3. Overall they are a good value for the money. Id recommend them

Comments:

Review by aaron82 See Profile

• Location: Bossier City,Bossier,LA
Good "Learning life can be lived without internet..."
Bad "internet withdraws, shaking, chills, nail biting, broken computer parts from built up anger due to the lack of reliability."
Overall "If hell overflows, sinners will beforced to deal with suddenlink for eternity as a punishment."

I had cable internet since the day it came out. I never thought i could live without internet but now that i have had suddenlink i am learning how to cope with life without internet, i guess you can look at that as a good thing... but thats not what i pay $90+ for.

Here in Bossier City LA, it use to be Cox cable, i never had any problems with these guys, then Suddenlink bought them out or something, i don't know and everything went to hell. I have problems just about everyday to where i can't connect or web pages time out,

Just a few weeks ago the internet went completly down and i called to see what was wrong and one lady told me that an optical cable line went down, she then transfered me to billing because i asked for a refund for the internet i can't use. After talking to a few people they wanted me do go test my modem ( i guess the customer reps don't talk to eachother) because i was then told it was my modem. I told her that the person befor told me that they had damaged optical cables somewhere, how could it be my modem?

Another time when my internet went down i was told that a static charge build up in the lines and changed some IP or Port numbers... something i can't remember. The lady did something and fixed my net in about 5 mins which was nice but the static charge story was pretty dumb being that the humidity here in Bossier city is about 90-95% thoughtout the summer and thats bad for static, and the idea of static changing my port numbers is just plane stupid in the 1st place.

The 2 stories above are withing one week of eachother, this crap happens everyother week and a min.

Bottom line...

***STAY AWAY FROM SUDDENLINK!!!***

Comments:

Review by bascobunch See Profile

• Location: Natchitoches,Natchitoches,LA
Good "Fast internet 8 to 10 meg"
Bad "call center on hold to long"
Overall "internet is better than dsl"

Broadband cable speeds better and more consistint than dsl phone

Comments:

Review by dmakuch See Profile

• Location: Marietta,Washington,OH
Good "Cable TV works"
Bad "High speed internet terrible"
Overall "They're fine for cable, although a bit pricey, but avoid internet serivice at all costs"

To be brief, my connection drops during peak usage times. After speaking with tech support many times, getting a new modem, and having a tech come out to my house my problem is not solved. They tell me the line is running perfectly. And now I'm reading forums so I can see I am not alone. It looks like I'll be cancelling service with Suddenlink and going back to dial-up, as that is my only other option here.

Comments:

Review by balloonshark See Profile

• Location: Elkins,Randolph,WV
Good "The service has been reliable"
Bad "Strict throttling/cap policy in my area"
Overall "Reliable service but don't plan on downloading much"

I'm in the Elkins area and the company name before was Cebridge. The price I stated is for a discounted bundle package that includes basic and expanded tv $45.95 and broadband internet (3mbps) $30.95 with the bundle discount of -$5.00. This is a new price increase effective as of Sept. 2007 and is the 2nd price increase this year.

I have had my service since late summer of 2005. It has been very reliable and was fast until the install of a QOS enforcer to limit bandwidth. This happened Jan. of 2006. The throttling continued to get severe to the point that when you downloaded 20MB, your service would get throttled to 256kbs/256kbs. I'm told that they very recently upgraded and the caps would be lifted. This actually happened this weekend and from my initial observations, everything seems better. During this recent upgrade, connections have not been so reliable. I'm hoping that this was exclusively due to the upgrades.

Things Suddenlink can improve on is the communication to it's tech support. They either clearly didn't know what traffic shaping/bandwidth throttling was, or they were told to deny it. We also need the speed upgrades that most of the state is receiving for free. They are getting 6mbps connections and we are just finally getting our service up to speed after a long period of neglect.

Comments:

Review by texastoxic See Profile

• Location: Kingwood,Harris,TX
Good "good speed: 3076-4480kbps, 297-298kbps, 26-132ms"
Bad "expensive, disconnects and drops, random and daily overnight, often around around midnight"
Overall "expensive, but only game in town."

We were the 52nd install for cable internet in the area, 11 yrs ago. They are the only cable supplier in the area--nothing like monopoly--hey, it's texas.

Daily disconnects and drops, random and daily overnight, often around midnight, without any keystrokes on this side. Works until 2-3am, but at 7 am no internet. Hmm, gremlins?

Tech service doesn't search for their own isp related problems. So it's the gremlins.

Over the last ten years, most disconnect problems have been due to system "maintenance" where the new software didn't interact with the existing modem. Problem solved by replacing modem with the current installation model. Might be the current problem just starting to show.

Otherwise the speed is good:3076-4480kbps, 297-298kbps, 26-132ms.

Not suddenlink related: Just installed a new entry level dlink N wireless, and it gets to the macbook pro downstairs well with 4-4.5Mbps, on the other hand Vista on the same machine lags with half the speed or less. Checking with apple and bootcamp to see if any others report same.

Tried getting ATT, but all the pines prevent an acceptable signal from reaching the house. Installers said the local pine needles were the problem.

Comments:

Review by GiGaJeK See Profile

• Location: Washington,Beaufort,NC
Good "It works when it works"
Bad "which isn't very often..."
Overall "Sigh..."

Service reps on the phone were nice. The reps weren't from the plant here in town. Technicians dispatched to my home were local yokels that seem to only know how to flip the switches off and on... Suddenlink took over Cox here in town, (which was bad to begin with), but no improvement seen so far. In fact, the connectivity was the same for the first 3 months. Downhill and inconsistant now. Noticable. Inconsistant connectivity, and inconsistant speeds. Gaming is useless.

Comments:

Review by dmrowley See Profile

• Location: Rocky Mount,Nash,NC
Good "Occasionally, it works"
Bad "Daily disconnects, lousy tech support"
Overall "SuddenJunk"

I am so sick of the lousy connection in my neighborhood that I just went out and got Embarq DSL with the hopes that it is more reliable. Keeping fingers crossed

Comments:

Review by omicron3 See Profile

• Location: Kingwood,Harris,TX
Good "It is up most of the time and is cheaper than DSL and Satellite combo"
Bad "More downtime than DSL. Service - what service."
Overall "When I can afford a little extra I'll go to DSL and Satellite"

The cable company in Kingwood, TX has changed from Kingwood Cable to Cebridge to Suddenlink. I have had the service for around 5 years and can't remember all of the details

Kingwood Cable

When the cable was first installed, the signal kept going out and the tech was out 3 or 4 times before changing to a different modem. That was good for about a year and the problem started again. The tech was out again several times before installing an updated modem. Both times the Tech support (phone) would ping my modem and tell me I had a good signal and order a tech out to see what the problem was, even though they knew what modem I had.

Cebridge Cable

The signal was out several times a year and tech telephone support usually couldn't tell me much, so I would have to go to the office (no local phone number listed) to find out what was going on. They upgraded me to 5000k for free, until they started charging for it (that was not mentioned in the beginning).

Suddenlink

The speed kept getting slower and the telephone support kept saying everything was fine - even when my download speed dropped to 33k (slower than dial-up) to 3000k. I went to the office (still no local phone number) and found out that the modem I had was out of date and changed modems. That increased my speed to 4400 to 4700k. They wait until you complain before telling customers to change the modems. Currently everything is working fine.

Currently I am paying $73.00 which includes extended basic cable and UP TO 5000k internet. I don't know the brand of the first 2 modems were and this one comes in a plain brown box with no name.

I would like to change back to DSL and Satellite, but we only have one cable company and one phone company and they take advantage of no competition. 3mg DSL service is $42 and 5mg is $52 plus cable or satellite. The DSL is $32 and $42 where they have competition.