Suddenlink page on DSLReports

Review by buschman See Profile

• Location: Oak Hill,Fayette,WV
Good "30/2 MB"
Bad "recently pings have doubled and downloads are about half of the 30MB I pay for"
Overall "Line quality tests suggest problem is equinix-dal.suddenlink.net hop"

Upate 02/03/2014

Have been pretty happy since last update, however, for the past couple of weeks, my pings have doubled and download speeds are about half of what I pay for. Started checking to see if problems was on my side of the modem. Ran line quality test and failed 3 of the 5 tests performed. Ran test three days in a row and same results. Low bandwidth 69% loss, medium bandwidth 100% loss, and high bandwidth 100% loss. Further investigation points to equinix-dal.suddenlink.net hop, this hop has shown 17 icmp loss over the last 14 days. Ok suddenlink lets jump in there and solve this problem. I will wait for a fix, if none occurs, I will again revisit and change my review of Suddenlink.

Couple traceroutes from 02/04/20 see at the bottom

Update 09/11/2013
Pretty stable for the last several months, once in a while pings are high and downloads are slow. Received a letter from Suddenlink stating I could upgrade to 50MB/3MB and save money, basically $95.00 per month. I called spent almost an hour on hold. Finally got to speak to a rep. was informed that in my area the highest speed was 30MB/2MB, which I already had. I asked why I was paying over $130.00 a month for less than what the letter stated I could get for $95.00 per month. Rep could not answer that question, however, stated she could give me a discount for the service I was receiving.............. hahahaha discount amounted to less than $2.00 per month. I would likje to see some other service provider come into our area so Suddenlink would have to adjust their over priced service to a more reasonable price.

Update 10/26/2012
Last night during the world series game 2 top of the 2nd inning, cable went out and the internet too. I called and was told that there was an outage and the techs were working to restore service as soon as possible. At 12am still no internet or cable. I got up this morning at 6am and still no internet or cable, so I called again. This time I was told that the techs were performing scheduled maintenance. At 2pm, still no service, I called again and was told this time that there was an outage and techs were working to restore service. About an hour later, I noticed a Suddenlink truck at the house next to mine. I went out and asked the tech if he knew what was going on and explained what happened last night, and today. He smiled and said the phone people should have noticed that this was an isolated outage, about half the people on my street, and the problem was a blown fuse in the amplifier on the street I live on. To say the least I am one pissed of individual, the issue could have been solved last night if the phone people would have done their job instead of saying it was an outage effecting several areas in WV. I have therefore decided to give Suddenlink new rating across the board WORST in all fields! Thank you Suddenlink for causing me to miss the 2nd game of the world series!
Update 7/21/12
Received upgrade from 10/1 to 15/1 no additional cost and for the time being the pings are back to normal, how long it will last is the only question........
Update 07/11/2012
Now, since last night about 8pm I have major packet loss! Downloads of 72 and 60 up! amazing. See attachments below. Packet loss from 60% to 80%

Update 07/09/2012
Had a few months with the pings back to normal, one morning I got on the pc and pings were 20's to 30's, back from 100 to 200, a couple of days ago I noticed the pings were up to 80 to 100, not to bad, but the packet loss of 60 to 80 percent is not acceptable!!

Update 02/13/2012
Well amazingly enough the problems continues..... was told by Suddenlink Tech that I was using all of my bandwidth, so I upgraded to the 20Mb/2Mb package. The only positive about the upgrade is the speeds are great, however, ping and freezing continue to be a major problem. Unable to play online games. I have tried at all hours of the day and night with no changes. I have power cycled both my modem and my router. I have changed all cables from modem to router and pc's, no changes.Ran speed test using the one recommended by Suddenlink techs received the following:
see attachments below

Update 10/25/2011
Well almost two weeks and still the same crap! Suddenlink hops as high as 1200ms, averaging over 70ms!!!!!!!!!!! I was on a server that I usually ping in the low 30's could not move pinging well over 200ms................... really crap! Dial up days are here again!

Update 10/13/2011
Here we go again! For the past week to 10 days, pings are up in the 60's to 70's basically double what they normally are. I have done trace routes, several of them over several days..... the problem seems to be all Suddenlink hops. Hop 7,8,9 (173.219.252.252 ,173.219.252.253,173.219.252.96) pings are averaging well over 60's with spikes as high as 1043ms. This is constant, for as long as I run trace route. SIGH........... SIGH.............. ...........
Update 12/18/2010
The pings have doubled over the past month or so and as far as tech support is concerned, 1. There is no problem with the signal
2. Everything looks good on our end
3.Must be a problem with your pc
I have no options for a different ISP........ stuck with the "NOLINK"

Update 2/19/2011
Pings for the time being are back into the 30's and 40's. The QOS is good.

I have had an on going problem. Tech support has been to my home several times this month. Each and every time they show up, it is the same old story.... everything looks fine. All of my equipment, cable, modem, etc is well within specs, however the problem is at the node you are connected to. It is overloaded! Suddenlink is aware of the problem and they are going to correct the problem around the first of Dec. 2008. I pay for 6MB down, 256MB up. Most of the time I am lucky to get 3MB down..... using Suddenlinks speed/line quality test, the speeds are OK, but the Quality of Service is and I quote, "measured at 42%, which shows that your connection is unable to produce a constant stream of data. This is key to providing a high quality voice-over-ip connection, so sound is likely to be broken."
I have asked that my bill be adjusted accordingly, they, SUDDENLINK took approximately $8.00 off of my bill. Gee $32.00 for a connection that is UNABLE TO PRODUCE A CONSTANT STREAM OF DATA! I guess when you live in an area that only has one cable broadband provider you play by their rules, and pay for what you are not getting! Bottomline Suddenlink is all about the DOLLAR no matter how bad their service SUCKS!
Oh and by the way, the techs that have been to my home all have stated that the problem is not in my home, it is in the mainline/node.One of them also stated that and again I will quote, "Suddenlink will probably send someone out with a laptop to test your connection. They always assume that it is the customers PC!" No one has showed up, nor have I been contacted by anyone from Suddenlink, even though, I have asked for further assistance.

Update 12/15/08 I received an email from Pete Abel concerning my problem. I replied to his email and the next day I received a call from the local Head Tech. He assured me that they were aware of the problem and its cause. OK so I am thinking this will be an ongoing issue...... I was shocked OMG within a week, I noticed that my pings were down to near what they were a few months ago. After about a week of new improved pings/download speeds, the only issue that I can see is, QUALITY of Service. I only average about 60 to 65%, does not matter what time of day I test either. I am hoping that whatever the issue causing this low QoS will be fixed soon. I have renewed hope in Suddenlink....... not counting the chickens yet but I am again able to play online with a respectable ping! For the moment!

The free upgrade in speed is nice. The latency seems to be improving, or I am getting used to it. I purchased another router, installed it today. I did not expect big changes, however, I have seen a slight improvement...... hopefully things will continue to improve, or at least remain stable!

updated 1 year ago

Comments:
vunyphan

join:2012-07-12
Leander, TX

Leander TX-SuddenLink Lower the speed on customer.

Hi all..
I have suddenlink, 20Mb. down paid $74.00 / month.. which for the last two years I was getting 50Mbs average out to 5MB to 6MB downloads.

Two days ago , Suddenlink provision their hardware. I called in they claims that I'm getting 30Mb upgrades from my current 20Mb service I paid..

Why Suddenlnk would want to LIE to their customers and claim they giving you the 10Mb free?? which is not true.

The last two years. in Leander, TX 78641.. they offers 107Mb and 20 Mbs. No 50Mb.

I had a tech came out today. which said that they will offers the 50Mb.. which is BS for suddenlink to LIE to their
customer and lower speed..

It's not right.. to lower the current customer speeds.. since they wants more money.. and LIE to customer claims that
I"m getting 10Mb.. for FREE???.. which IM NOT.

Tech support on line some of them.. dont know jack..
1 guy say . .that my motorola sb 6120.. was bad.. need replaced.. when I know it the provision they did.. on the account..

The ping was 288, 300, 400.. millisecond..
Today it is stable now.. at 30Mb down. .but the upload is screw up at less than a MB..

Very disappointed. customer..
from a loyal customer.. that switch from ATT Uverse.

Vu Phan

abnormal69

join:2003-04-19
Branson, MO

Re: Leander TX-SuddenLink Lower the speed on customer.

What?

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA

lol

actually love it man! miss a baseball game on tv, world ends!!!!!! LMAO

Review by AcousticD See Profile

• Location: Princeton,Collin,TX
Good "Nothing So Far"
Bad "No Internet for Lowry Crossing"

·AT&T DSL Service
When I bought my house one of the first things I looked at was the ISP for my area in Lowry Crossing. The realtor site listed Suddenlink as the provider, so when I moved in I called them to setup service. They then told me that they only provide television services and have no plans for adding internet to our area.

I can't speak for the quality of the service, but I wanted to write this review so that anyone looking at this area has a chance to see this before moving out here. Due to local agreements with Suddenlink, so other companies will service the area either.

member for 1 year, 40 visits, last login: 46 days ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by supertrekie3 See Profile

• Location: Bryan,Brazos,TX
Good "Fast Speeds + Good Forums Support"
Bad "Data Caps + Bad Phone Support"
Overall "Good support on these forums, unfortunate data caps."

I ordered the 107/5 connection. I was having major issues with packet loss and latency from 1800-0200 every day and was not getting anywhere with phone tech support (other than worthlessly having technicians come out and say my line signals were perfect). Luckily there is a user on the support forums that works for Suddenlink and answered my IM for help - quickly, efficiently, and usefully. I now get relatively good latency, very little packet loss, and my speeds are within 90%+ even during peak hours. I purchased my own SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 modem and it works flawlessly. If you are here and reading this review, you likely have issues with an ISP. I highly encourage you to visit the support forums for more information and ask for help there, it DOES work. The only reason I would recommend Suddenlink at this point is because of the tech support ON THESE FORUMS. Unfortunately I have found that phone, and even personal support from the technicians has not helped at all. While they do have a monopoly on cable in my area, they do provide very fast speeds and prices that are not unreasonable. The data caps on the other hand can be a deal breaker for those that are using more and more streaming services - especially with multiple members of a family. "SDL L3Tech" represents the best of the best in customer/technical support - a shining beacon in a dark pit of faceless cable providers - and the only reason I would even take time to review the Suddenlink ISP.

lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by nyteryder79 See Profile

• Location: Jonesboro,Craighead,AR
Good "When it works, I get advertised speeds."
Bad "Very inconsistent and frequent packet loss/lag spikes/speed drops."
Overall "If you have an alternative, get it. Especially if you are a gamer."

For the past month or so, every Monday evening my Internet connection is horrible. Then, this past Friday up to now, it's been impossible for online gaming. I started to investigate and after rebooting my modem and wiring directly into the modem from my computer, I did speed tests, ping tests, etc. I can't believe the inconsistency I'm seeing! I don't think there is anything wrong with the signal levels my modem is reporting and it always looks consistent. Here is a screenshot of the signal levels, feel free to take a look: »i.imgur.com/U7rKogO.png

I have a 50mb/3mb Internet connection with Suddenlink in Jonesboro, AR. Yet, my speed tests finish any where between the advertised 50/3 all the way down to 1.5/0.5. Then some nights, my download is fine, but the upload is barely there at all and other nights it's the download that's affected and the upload is fine. Even crazier than that, I'll see my download and upload speeds all over the place testing the same server in the same 20 minute window. Speedtest.net is giving my connection grades of A-D. Here is a screenshot of some of my recent speed tests where you can see that both download and upload is all over the place: »i.imgur.com/WMahXI9.png

I had enough of the craziness and called Suddenlink and they sent a tech out to my house. He tested the line, replaced a splitter, the usual stuff. He then called his supervisor who proceeded to do some checking on his end and concluded that my modem was shot. So the tech decided to test the line by using his diagnostic kit as a modem. We connected my computer to his diagnostic kit, then the coax to the kit and once we had a connection, we re-ran the same tests as before. Guess what? Same results. So now I know that my modem was in fact fine as well as my router and that the issue is not the line in the house or my equipment.

The tech scheduled to have someone check out from the node to the tap. That was supposed to occur today, however, due to a mix up this now won't happen for another couple days (the tech that was sent out today was the wrong guy who thought he was just checking the line in the house again and not the guy who checks from the node to the tap).

After the tech left, I did some more testing, this time I did ping tests. Interestingly enough, my pings seemed normal at first, however I was experiencing some packet loss. I tried multiple servers and had packet loss on every single one. Then the ping tests started to get really bad, like 300ms with 200ms jitter and 40% packet loss bad! There is obviously something seriously wrong here. Pingtest.net is giving my connection mostly grades of C-F. Here are the results of many of the ping tests I ran and you can see the inconsistency, horrible ping times and packet loss: »i.imgur.com/SZyvBpP.png

I did the line quality test here at dslreports.com and the results are here: »/testhistory/1 ··· 57/d35be

According to dslreports, the router equinix-dal.suddenlink.net has been a problem for others recently and is causing packet loss frequently. I'm not sure if this is the total cause of my problem or not, but thought I should mention it. Those details are here: »/badrouters/eq ··· link.net

Bottomline, this is crazy! I'm a gamer and this is impossible to game on. I just hope that the problem gets resolved very soon because this is getting really irritating to say the least. Between the poor Internet quality I've been dealing with the past month, to the wrong tech coming out and pushing this out another couple of days, to another tech's supervisor trying to chalk this up to faulty consumer hardware. If there was an alternative in my area, I would be all over it, but they have a monopoly in this town. Oh how I wish there was competition or better yet, Google Fiber!

This isn't just an isolated incident either, it's just that usually, the issues are tolerable. As long as I can game online, I'm fine, but as soon as I'm bouncing all over the place in a first person shooter, that's when I start the phone calls and see these kinds of results. I've had techs out to fix issues multiple occasions since I've lived here. Many times, it was because Suddenlink "oversold the node" and had to rework the load balancing. I wouldn't be surprised if my current problem is another case of this.

If you can find an alternative ISP that's more consistent, I highly recommend doing so, especially if you're a gamer. Even a DSL connection that's only 10mb down and 1-2mb up would be better than this. Otherwise, you might start seeing results like this horrible ping result: »i.imgur.com/JLhokwZ.png

member for 1 year, 8 visits, last login: 1 year ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by Pcain See Profile

• Location: Jonesboro,Craighead,AR
Good "The internet is great for gaming , and stuff like that."
Bad "The cable is horrible I pay rite at $200 a month for a less than basic package"
Overall "Internet good , cable is horrible!!!!!"

I live in Jonesboro Arkansas and suddenlink is the only cable company here which is unfortunate because their cable sucks . I pay rite at $200 a month for their less than basic service that's not including the internet which is another$50 . I have only been with them for about 3 months now , but have come to the conclusion that I will keep the internet and ditch the cable and just get direct tv.

member for 1 year, 0 visits, last login: 1 year ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by Zorack See Profile

• Location: Fayetteville,Fayette,WV
Good "ok"
Bad "not too bad"
Overall "over priced cable tv"

Both television and my internet have been pretty solid for quite a while now,but like utilities they raise their rates far too often when it exactly isn't needed,it's greed plain and simple.

member for 13.2 years, 5719 visits, last login: 194 days ago

Comments:

DontUseThem

@mycingular.net

Suddenlink is crap

Saw a commercial today for suddenlink, stating weather didn't effect their service. What a complete lie. If it even drizzles, the Internet goes out and the tv is worthless. Glad I don't use a home phone or I'm sure I'd be pissed about something with that. Overall, I'm done with suddenlink, a dish can't be this bad tv wise nor this slow, Internet wise. If you have a choice, any choice at all, don't use suddenlink.

Review by Moy2006 See Profile

• Location: Neosho,Newton,MO
Good "Last repairs seemed to have helped for a while."
Bad "If i continue holding this service for as long as i had bad service ill finally be satisfied with this service."
Overall "service improved for a couple months."

Ive given up ever getting promised services from suddenlink. We pay for 15mb and usually get much less. 6 is pretty common today its running around 1-3 mb.
»www.speedtest.net/result/2807399 ··· 9799.png
Weve had numerous techs at our house off and on over a year and a half. They always come in spend like an hour saying its in the house when they finish it never is. DUH i have all new equipment computers, modem docsis3, router ect. I even bought new ethernet cat 6 cables. Usually they go out to the box tweak and rebalance the signals 8 of 10 times this helps for a couple hours then it drops off again. 1 tech finally admited after a few times of coming out the network is overworked. He also said with our pings going from 12 -200 sometimes its a software port issue on there end. Ok cool Lee Mott a supervisor said they would get that fixed. Apparently they never have as months later still having the problems and have just given up on calling to get the same crap run around. The service is junk so i just make sure i let everyone know i come across if you have another option go with it. I just came across this site tonight so i emailed the HQ rep thats posting on here i dont expect it will accomplish anything as ive been through the hoops for over a year and still have issues.

Heres another speedtest run at the end of this posting just for the heck of it.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2807406 ··· 6569.png

07\03 update i have to eat my words a bit on here now. After posting this and emailing SL's Corp guy i was contacted and my problems are now fixed. Apparently at my wits end when i posted on here they infact had a guy out working on all the hardlines etc this weekend. He was at our house today and i have to say we are now running very well.

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/2814 ··· 14670457

I was shocked at such a fast response and from higher up than the local office. Also this Tech Terry isnt the standard level 1 tech that usually comes out hes pretty knowledgeable. If this services holds up i will gladly up my ratings as well.

Update 07/10/13

Whatever The last tech did hes really fixed up the system. We are so far having the best service weve ever had. Still holding good speeds not even waivering a bit.

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/2827 ··· 27652984

UPDATE 07/31/2013

Well service is still doing extremely well. I had 1 day with a couple small service outages for a couple hours. Other than that 1 day services have been better than every averaging 15mbp d/l and 1.5mbp u/l. Pretty pleased.

UPDATE 10/26/13

Well service is starting to take a crap again. As i figured it would last few nights knocked off around 7pm or so constantly.

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3059 ··· 59712644

UPDATE 11/29/13

Service is just about as bad as can be again. D/L speed flys and so does U/L speed. The connection keeps dropping constantly nothing the techs did the last few times they have come out has done any good. Tonight the speed for U/L keeps dropping out as low as .03mbs Which is causing the stream to die and be unusable for pretty much anything but email. Essentially the problem is stability not speed. Its fast but just wont hold.

UPDATE 12/15/13

Stability has improved upto about 85% stable now after some hardline repairs were made for holes in the lines and water getting in the lines. So lets see that makes us upto 3 solid months of good performance followed by a month and a half of crap. Still not overly impressed by these figures. I am happy that complaining on here actually seems to gain some help. Calling locally then regionally or whatever they call it is pretty useless. It seems Pete Abel does actually help get results. If the Equipment would just hold up for more than 3 months at a time we could really get somewhere.

1/1/14

Stability issues are still hanging around. Apparently we must still be having hardline break issues. This weekend we experienced about 12-15 disconnects total id guess. Usually the outage lasts about 30 seconds and reboots the modem then works for a couple hours till the next drop out. Things are better but still not what they should be. Local business were effected as well for a while not sure now if they are i havent talked to anyone about it. Overall still disappointed that these issues just keep happening it really boggles my mind.

member for 1.6 years, 37 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

linicx
Caveat Emptor
join:2002-12-03
United State
·DIRECTV
·TracFone Wireless

I hate to say this

Suddenlink is the brainchild of a NJ second tier cable company that created a new company. brought it to Missouri and then bought out Cox small and medium markets like Carthage. The last I time was in the office I took a brochure home and read the fine print where it stated their speed s X times faster than dial-up. It also states the defacto dial-up speed is a 28.8 modem. It is something I have not had since the early 1990s. By '99 I was in a 56k pulling 48 or better. A year later i was in Carthage on the local cable Internet which sold to Cox and ruined an exceptionally good service. Cox had its troubles and sold to the newly formed Suddenlink which was a disaster. I took the SL modem back and walked across the street and picked up an AT&T modem and stopped having issues.

These companies do not care about rural America. I have a second tier phone company that is no better than SL - until the state commerce commission stepped in. You should check on your state level and see if you have Commerce Commission or Public Utilities Commission. If you do chat with them. You can use company PR and posturing to your advantage; after all, they are the ones who put in print. Good luck, and by the way the folks across the border in Grove, OK have the same problems as you do. My cousin lives there; she switched to AT&T, too.
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside
Moy2006

join:2013-06-30
Neosho, MO
·Suddenlink

Re: I hate to say this

I would love to have ATT for internet however i live in a 10 year old housing tract. Zoning etc and equipment all stop just shy of my street maybe 2 streets over. The last houses built were just barely close enough for the service. They claim (ATT) its not worth the cost investment for a small neighborhood to expand. They probably are correct. However if enough towns people will bug them about it they might expand. Unrealistic at best. So for now its 56k dialup with a company out of grandby which usually only yielded 28.8k believe it or not, or SL.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
join:2002-12-03
United State
·DIRECTV
·TracFone Wireless

Re: I hate to say this

Moy, I believe you. It was Cox who wrote "28.8 is the defacto standard" in the brochure before SL first used it. Maybe Grandby is not such a bad deal because you still have a POTS line that works when VoIP type phones and cell phones are dead.

AT&T can't expand into your neighborhood. Who serves what in your area is not only defined by physical boundaries, it's complicated by contracts with the State of Missouri and also with contracts with her counties, and her cities. After you've waded through reams of public legal documents you may learn that your rights thereof, as a citizen living at a particular address, in a specific place, in the state of Missouri, is wrapped in a 100 year Agreement with a group or company you never heard of before.

The only solution to your kind of situation is DISH or to move. I've been on Cox, SL, AT&T, Comcast, SWB, CL, WISP, VoIP, Vonage and others. Most are not very good in smaller rural areas like we live in. AT&T seems to work best in the small towns in SW Missouri and NE Oklahoma where there is a local phone office.
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

Kathy Bishop

@suddenlink.net

Service Call

The service Fellow, Daniel Rush, was early for the appointment, he was very helpful with information and fixed our problem quickly and efficiently. We couldn't be more pleased. thank you so much!

With Suddenlink

Moy2006 -- by IM or email (pete.abel@suddenlink.com) please remind me of the name and address on the account and I'll follow-up with senior managers for that area. Recall that I'm vetted to help customers in this forum (»Approved Suddenlink Tech Support Agents).

Review by p_bewley See Profile

• Location: Lufkin,Angelina,TX
Good "WHEN it works, internet is fast, cable is clear"
Bad "Internet quality is erratic, modem drops frequently, very high packet loss rate. Even cable TV is affected at times"
Overall "Absolute worst service. "

*** UPDATE 12/18/2013 ***

Still have not heard anything on any type of compensation for such atrocious service.
Techs came and installed SECOND modem, so have 2 running side-by-side. Service continues to degrade.
Paying for 30mbps service (approximately 3MB/ps) - latency has continued to degrade, where now it's at 1000-3000 ms. So the activities I enjoy are now pointless.
Download speeds are normally at 512k (less than 1/6th contracted speed). Sometimes it goes up to the speed it's SUPPOSED to be, but normally between 512k and 1500k.

*** UPDATE 12/3/2013 ***

I regret to say that the issues STILL continue to this day. While for long periods, it is improved over the original post, I still have days where I am repeatedly (dozens of times) am disconnected. Streamed shows 'die', online services terminate and log out, and latency is still rather horrible. Packet losses still continue at high percentages (some days, monitored links average 50% or higher)

The local manager asked me to continue assisting them by monitoring and reporting, yet I still see no REAL improvement.
I have done so, donating my own time and efforts, yet it all seems pointless. And, even with the recent request for some form of recompense for the absurd amounts paid for completely unreliable services, I've yet to hear a response or see any attempts to 'make things right'.

So much for the grand claims as advertised!!!

My suggestion? Well, as there is no competition in the local area, as the FEW alternatives are worse (or far more expensive).... Satellite for your TV, and perhaps your cell phone for data.

*** UPDATE***

Things have greatly improved since the original post. While there are still disconnects (5 last night), they have dropped drastically in frequency.

It seems they called in some help, and had to 'scrub' the node I'm on. Previously, they believed it to be the 'best of their nodes', and stated that I was the only person who had voiced a complaint about the quality of service (???). Later I heard that they found numerous issues that they had resolved (client end termination, faulty equipment, etc.).

While I am pleased at the resolution, I fear I must stay with the original expression of great disappointment that it took over 4 months of complaints, and then escalating it to forums such as this before it was taken seriously and things REALLY started to happen. Essentially, having to get the attention of Vice Presidents of the company to make it happen.

I've updated my rating points, and moved them up a few notches. Started with Suddenlink in middle of May. Internet was sometimes flaky, but wasn't too upset at the time as it was a step up from previous satellite service. Thought the loss of connection was due to services I was connected to, didn't really consider ISP at fault for a while.

Connected Cable TV service - yet another $40 connection fee.
Very soon afterward (within a week), local competition (cable company) offered WAIVED connection fees, PLUS $100 pre-paid Visa card.

Began contacting technical support as early as July. Nothing was taken seriously (finger pointing at my equipment, apartment complex's cable portion of responsibility, etc.) until I finally dug and found a local RVP contact email address. THEN I was put in contact with the local Manager, and it seemed things were finally going to progress.
That was September 18. STILL have cable TV cut-out, poor picture quality at times, and internet is still unreliable.

I pay for the 30MB internet package, as it is what Suddenlink recommended for my level of activity (browsing, streaming, online gaming, etc.) - but I certainly am not receiving the quality of service to allow for those activities.

Worst of all this is: "Oh, we're sorry you're having issues with your internet/TV" And absolutely no offer to compensate for the lack of reliable and/or quality service as touted on their website.

Comments:
Pete Abel

With Suddenlink

I'm at Suddenlink HQ, report directly to the CEO, and am vetted to help customers in this forum (»Approved Suddenlink Tech Support Agents). If you're willing, please email me (pete.abel@suddenlink.com) with the name and address on your account, and I'll work with my colleagues to address the issues you're experiencing.

Review by Thanatos3 See Profile

• Location: Bryan,Brazos,TX
Good "It handles our heavy use"
Bad "Caps are ridiculous for people who stream"
Overall "I'll be switching back to Verizon with 2 DSL connections with no caps for less per month than Sudden Link"

We were happy with the service for the most part. The service drops once or twice a week and we have to reset the connection, but that's not too big of a hassle. The service keeps up with our streaming TV and games. We have the 30mb package for $70ish a month. Order and install were fine, techs were good when our line was cut, we use Motorolla modem and Netgear router.

We got hit with a excessive usage fee and will be dropping the service. I don't see our usage going down any time soon as technology advances, and I dang sure didn't buy HDTV's to stream at poor quality.

FIOS is not available here but Verizon DSL is and we'll be getting two lines piped in for less than the service charges at Sudden Link.

The bottom line: for a $24 fee, Sudden Link loses $230/month in total service charges (2 homes and cable tv)... I guess I wasn't a good enough customer even though we paid them around $10,000 the past decade or so (without collections issues). The usage caps are not really reasonable IMO, especially for good paying customers.

Comments:

Review by dhudson1984 See Profile

• Location: Charleston,Kanawha,WV
Good "Fast, solid, and reliable "
Overall "Recommended!"

We've had Suddenlink Internet for a total of 5-6 years. Other than some storm damage or maintenance that happens once in a while,the connection has always been rock solid & reliable! They're the only company that have the most reliable and fastest speeds available in our area and state for residential customers. I would definitely recommend Suddenlink if they're available in your particular area! If for some reason you happen to have reliability issues, I would recommend also PMing or Emailing SDL L3Tech from the forums as he can track down any routing issues or packet loss that may occur and get it fixed on his end or get the local engineering/tech team on it. Most of the time the reoccurring problem you may have can not be detected by a local lower level tech, so this is the route you need to take if you ever experience any such problem! You won't regret it after the issue gets resolved!

member for 7.1 years, 2316 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Pete Abel

1 recommendation

Thanks for the review

Thanks for taking time to publish a review and for being our customer. I'm glad to hear SDL L3Tech has been able to help you, like he has many others in this forum.
dhudson1984

join:2008-01-04
Charleston, WV

Re: Thanks for the review

No problem, Pete! Good to hear from you again. There should be a whole lot more people such as SDL L3Tech that people can reach out to and get their routing issues, and outside plant issues corrected.