Suddenlink page on DSLReports

Review by asb2525 See Profile

• Location: Eureka,Humboldt,CA
Good "Director of Operations office; Supervisor of Broadband Technician Installers; Billing; Technical Support; On-line site and Chat."
Bad "Contractors from Redding, CA. Botched 800 installation appointment, corrected by Installer Supervisor afterhours/weekend!"
Overall "Excellent, sharp company. Cable programs excellent, especially free EPIX Premium channel to bundled customers (VIPs)."

October 26, 2013

I have had both SUDDENLINK and DIRECTV. Both are sharp!

I. SUDDENLINK'S PROGRAMS:

I switched to SUDDENLINK in order:

(1) To obtain the ACCESS HUMBOLDT local channels: 10, 11, 12, which show Humboldt County Board of Supervisors and Eureka, Arcata, and Fortuna City Council meetings live.
(2) To support the local economy and Humboldt County employment opportunities.
(3) To obtain EPIX Premium Movie channel free, as a VIP (i.e., bundled cable, internet, telephone) customer.
(4) To obtain channel 8 --- the cultural Classic ARTS Showcase channel, which is free to SUDDENLINK and to its customers.

II. SUDDENLINK'S INSTALLATION, ON-LINE CHAT, 800 SERVICES:

(1) Mrs. Wendy Purnell, Director of Operations for Humboldt County is outstanding.

When the situation(s) arose, we were in constant touch by telephone, e-mail, and in-person representation of her personnel in my home.
(2) Mr. Casey Kelly, Broadband Technician and Installation Supervisor, resolved a TO/FROM residence transfer problem AFTER-HOURS ON THE WEEKEND. (As it turned out, I had been without land-line, cellphone, cable, and internet service despite the scheduled TO/FROM move order appointment.)
(3) As a result, Casey dispatched very competent installers Brian and Jake after-hours and on the weekend to efficiently install same, as noted.
Daniel came out on Monday to run the final telephone extension to the bedroom.

III. SUDDENLINK'S BILLING:

With all due respect, as much as I like AT&T, who had given me great service and discounts for literally decades in different states at various residences, SUDDENLINK'S bill is much easier to read and comprehend, and it is much shorter! (AT&T is so huge and diverse, it has become encumbered, and you get transferred endlessly from one department to another!)

Also, 800 calls to Billing have always resolved promised installation charge waivers to my benefit!

800 personnel in Lubbock, Texas have thus and otherwise always been extremely cordial and effective, including Technical Support.

IV. CONSTRUCTIVE OBSERVATIONS:

1. As mentioned, the recent FROM/TO installation appointment date was botched by 800 personnel. REASON: Wrong cell phone number. Then, why not call me on the land-line number?

However, Casey Kelly, Supervisor, corrected the matter when I called his number, from his business card, late on a Saturday afternoon.

2. As a former Management Consultant and Industrial Engineer, I strongly recommend that installers have a CHECKLIST of items to follow, including instructions about, say, VOICEMAIL; how to activate the on-screen Channel Program Schedule; and a copy of the completed CHECKLIST should be given to the customer.

3. Also, ALL devices, including not only the telephones, cable, internet, but also the customer's hooked-up DVD and VCR, etc., should be TESTED BY THE INSTALLER BEFORE LEAVING.

Realize how vital this is, considering the unfortunate (euphemism for "unprofessional" or "incompetent") recent Dry Run, Wet Run, Problem Correction fiasco with the valuable AFFORDABLE HEALTH CARE ACT. Coincidently, a similar failure to test occurred after PGE performed an excellent gas Safety Check in my new residence, but did not TEST THE THERMOSTAT AS THE FINAL ITEM ON A PROPOSED CHECKLIST! The otherwise excellent and very competent repairman indeed had to make a second trip! (He was so thorough, he removed the bulky cast iron fixture from the gas wall heater and washed it in my sink, after ridding the unit of the yellow flame, which indicates Carbon Monoxide, tasteless, colorless, odorless CO, burning!)

4. Thus, the installers and repair personnel, who are technical in nature, should also be CUSTOMER-SERVICE ORIENTED, as noted above in 2. and 3. --- rather than be in a hurry or rush to go to the next appointment.

5. To be candid, while SUDDENLINK'S local Humboldt County installers and repair personnel have been exemplary, I had TERRIBLE SERVICE on two prior reported occasions, with installers contracted from Redding.

6. Finally, although I am getting accustomed to it because no irregularities have occurred with it, I was taken aback that installers, whether SUDDENLINK'S, AT&T's (I think I remember correctly), or another local company, asked customers to sign their hand-held "Work Performed" device verification, WITHOUT giving the customer a copy of what he/she is signing? Upon questioning, however, the installer screened up and showed me the contents of the verification.

In conclusion, for all the reasons given above I highly recommend SUDDENLINK Operations, Installation, Repair, Technical Support, Billing, and 800 Customer Service.

I now realize I forgot to mention the $115.00 bundled price with FREE EPIX Premium movies is very affordable! I recommend the ARTFORM IN ITSELF movie "Not Fade Away" (2012), a coming-of-age film that takes place between 1960 - 1968, when Bobby Dylan and the country were coming of age; it is James Gandolfini's touted last film.

Comments:

Review by worldtruth See Profile

• Location: Pflugerville,Travis,TX
Good "Connection semi-consistent"
Bad "Bandwidth limitations, high prices, horrible customer service, hidden and annoying charges"
Overall "Use any other provider. This is a very poorly ran organization with horrible customer service and high prices."

10/21/13 As the Owner of multiple social networks I find the service and professionalism at Suddenlink to be amidst the worst I have experienced. On today's date I contacted them during the brief hours of availability I have to pay them more money for more services, and was refused, and told I needed to pay them more money just to pay them more money. How absurd does that sound? Let me elaborate. For over six months in the past I have used their 107mbps, and also had an additional line of 3mbps setup at my home as well as other services. I then downgraded due to the slow time of year for my networks to 15mbps. I called today, spoke with William at ext. 4063 in the Tyler, TX Call Center who told me to upgrade to a service that is available, I needed to pay them a $50 service fee to have a technician come out and verify my line speed would allow the 50mbps. I explained numerous times that the lines are brand new, and I've used 110mbps at my home for a half year with no issues. He still stated I needed to pay the money and take off time from my job that I work 70-80 hours a week at, or my wife to be home during business hours to pay someone to tell us something we already know, because it's *policy.* I then asked for his Supervisor, to which he explained that there is no one else I can talk to, and he was as high as I could go, although he did state his Supervisor was Mr. Garza, but he ***refuses*** to speak to customers, has no phone number or email. This is the level of customer service I received from this so-called "You're Connected..." jingle of a company. This is pitiful, absurd, and absolutely a horrible experience. For this reason I will be cancelling my Suddenlink service, setting up another Broadband provider, and I will also share my story with the entire housing division I live in, leave as many reviews as possible regarding this horrible experience, and articulate to every single social network I own with over 2.5 million members this very experience. You should be much more wise regarding the treatment of your customers, as well as your so-called *policies,* as this was very unfortunate for everyone.

Comments:
Pete Abel

At Suddenlink HQ

I'm with Suddenlink, report directly to the CEO, and am vetted to help customers in this forum: »Approved Suddenlink Tech Support Agents. I apologize for the way you were treated. If you're willing to give us a second chance, please send me an IM (through this forum) or email (pete.abel@suddenlink.com) with the name and address on the account. I'll follow up with my colleagues and work to make this right.

Review by azbuddy See Profile

• Location: Colcord,Raleigh,WV
Good "Customer Service - polite"
Bad "Quality of the Technicans, some are clueless, in a hurry to get to the next customer without making sure work is completed "
Overall "Wish I had other options - any option"

Purchased late last year... Full package consists of cable, internet and phone w/ 2 TiVo receivers. Purchased 40/2 $49.99 mo. Never received the speed I was paying for. Down graded to 15/2 39. Install was a mess, tried to use existing line (pole to home) that was 30+ yrs old. Had to rewire everything. It took 4 visits and 3+weeks to correct. Could not get their wireless router to work. Wireless speed was 2/.5 ? Ended up using my own wireless router.

Speeds are extremely Slow today, TiVo has had error 133 again, basically the internet speed cannot support my Tivo's and internet activity. This is because speeds are 4500/425... really. I guess i'll call tomorrow.

Comments:
Pete Abel

With Suddenlink

I'm vetted to help customers in this forum (»Approved Suddenlink Tech Support Agents). I wasn't sure from your review if you are still experiencing issues. If you are, please email me (pete.abel@suddenlink.com) with the name and address on the account, and I'll work with my colleagues to help resolve.

Review by jimbopalmer See Profile

• Location: Greenwood,Leflore,MS
Good "It works, and is consistant."
Bad "ISPs come and go here very rapidly."
Overall "It Works"
(ratings well above consensus)

I have had the same cable service from 4 companies since I moved into this house 6 years ago: Adelphia became Time-Warner, became Windjammer, became Suddenlink.

I am so grandfathered no one knows my service plan. However, every day my TV and modem work, and that makes me happy.

member for 6.6 years, 3049 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Screwed6 See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX

We had Suddenlink cable and internet in a rent house in College Station. Our son and his friends lived there. When we sold the house, I gave Suddenlink two weeks notice, but still they billed me for the month after the sale. When we moved our son out, one of the boys took the cable box to the local Suddenlink store. There was a long line and a customer service person told them if you're here to return your box, put it in the Return box over there. He did and he left. When I finally got the cut-off date straightened out, Suddenlink told me that they did not have the box and if we didn't have a receipt to prove that he turned it in, we would have to pay $100.00. No receipt of course because of the way the return was handled. They are now supposedly having someone look in the warehouse for the second month, but today we received a dunning letter from a collection agent. REALLY? We're posting this customer service screw job on every internet outlet we can find. May never get that bill cancelled, but at least will feel better.

Comments:
Pete Abel

At Suddenlink

If you'll email me (pete.abel@suddenlink.com) the information that was on the cancelled account (name, street address, city, state, zip), I'll also check into this for you. I'm vetted to help in this forum: »Approved Suddenlink Tech Support Agents.

Review by G00SE See Profile

• Location: Conroe,Montgomery,TX
Good "Excellent reps, techs, and service, no problem terminating TIVO service when wife insisted on Dish"
Bad "slow speeds at times (seldom now though), but iso's and large video files download fast with no problems"
Overall "overall 9 out of 10"

Update 10/01/2013: Initial Review remains unchanged, except to verify more reliably the same information.Two stars (asterisks) indicate updated information:

*****************************************************************

[please note the price includes telephone service also]

I've been with Suddenlink in Conroe since the company purchased the service from Cox.

Overall, I'd rate Suddenlink a 9 out of 10 on service, 10 out of 10 on

tech support, 10 out of 10 on wait time and company representatives. Ordering and installation was easy and carried out efficiently.

The only things I see from time to time are slower than normal speeds (I have 20MB down), but, on the other hand, at times I see speeds quite a bit faster.

**Speed is more consistent at this time (2013).

I download quite a few isos, and other software, and consistently have but a short wait for the majority of downloads.

I've had only good experiences with tech personnel, although once when we tried the video service, the rep cut one of the cables I had installed. Still, I'd go with the video, but my wife just has to have dish and their super DVR's ! Phone service has been excellent.

**We tried TIVO with their cable service, and it was outstanding, except that my wife refused to learn a new **system, so we went back to Dish.

**I have had to switch telephone numbers 3 times this past summer of 2013 because of nuisance calls from **peddlers, and Suddenlink was helpful and cooperative with this situation.

Equipment used has been Motorola and now Arris.

The only other 'real' option here is DSL, which I had for a short time and didn't really like, although it worked OK, but that was years ago, but still, I don't see that many friends now who have the DSL service. Of course satellite is an option, but not a viable one, and Verizon is too slow and too expensive.

**Still no other viable options should I have any valid reason to change providers.

Comments:

Review by jordanaustin See Profile

• Location: Grove,Delaware,OK
Good "Cable, Internet"
Bad "Slow, Channel Lineup, Argue with Support, Support is like an entirely different company altogether, no way to call local office,"
Overall "Take it, not much choice"

Took almost two months to get a cable card working. Once I got ahold of the VP of the company through DSLReports it was fixed in 2 business days. Literally about 15 interactions with company between phone calls, tech visits, local office visits, etc. Was first in town to use a cable card though so should be fixed now.

All installs are contracted that I've seen so far except one (out of 5), so the installer doesn't have the right equipment or know much about after it's installed. Takes a few days from time of order.

Ordered once in Feb, in 30 days cable card still wasn't working, still had bad signal at my house, internet was still performing at 4mb instead of 15. So I cancelled. Took 4 months to get refund and tons of phone calls / visits / etc. Signed back up in July, took two weeks of fighting to get signal fixed, then took over a month more to get cable card working after complaining to the right high up person. Internet is still running at less than half speed, usually 2-4mb from over-taxed node and old outdated equipment (no channel bonding, etc) in the day, but 20mb in the middle of the night. Several "updates" and changes have been made but I'm not getting what I'm paying for yet.

Was told from salesman originally before purchasing how much faster the 15 meg cable was going to be compared to my existing 12 meg DSL. Was told cable would be upgraded and 15 meg is just the start. I'm about ready to switch back, but I don't have options for TV unless I want to spend tons of $ on satellite. Also I know my DSL will never get faster. I was lucky to get DSL at 12 meg, just barely in reach in my town and it's literally the only option and for a small chunk of town. At least when I had DSL for years it was always full speed what I was paying for.

Second round of ordering was told from local office bill would be 70$ a month for the first year. First bill was over one hundred dollars so I went back to original lady I spoke with and was then told it would be 80$ a month because I had to have a receiver I don't want and don't use. So I said fine and now my bill is a little over 90$ and I'm tired of arguing. I have an extra receiver collecting dust.

Channel lineup is pretty bad but I don't have much of a choice. You can look up suddenlink channel lineups on their web site so when you look at neighboring towns it looks pretty bad, but for 40$ a month more than internet it is what it is. HD is good quality and some channels only cut out occasionally on storms.

You pretty much have to take it where I'm at. There's just no alternative. If you want internet only go ATT DSL, if you are lucky enough to be within a mile from the center of town for fast speed. At least it's stable and dependable. If you want TV pay big $ for Sat or go with them I guess. They've only been in town for about a year though and are using antiquated equipment. Overtaxing the node, overtaxed the backbone originally, no channel bonding, yet they keep cranking sales more and more and more without stopping to work out the bugs first.

Comments:

linicx

Grove and Suddenlink

I am very familiar with Grove and Suddenlink. If you are in a fringe area such as on North Cherokee, or 10 Hwy., or Northeast of Sailboat Bridge, or South of Honey Creek you will have issues. My cousins lives off N. Cherokee. He tired of the same thing and switched to ATT and installed DISH. So did my lawyer who lives on 6th. If you are not in Grove you may have a different phone company, though.

Good luck to you.

Review by jkaufman See Profile

• Location: Tyler,Smith,TX
Good "Best Option for Area. Solid Service"
Bad "Suddenlink Insists on sending an Installer Out. Installer was 2 hours late. Slow Upload Speeds. High Prices"
Overall "Best option for the area."

The only other option in Tyler, Tx is 6/768 DSL. Suddenlink has consistent speeds and has been committed to upgrading their services over the years. Suddenlink is very stingy when it comes to upload speeds. Also they are a bit pricey. I pay $166.31 for expanded basic and 107mb internet.

Comments:

Review by Ben Johnson See Profile

• Location: Lufkin,Angelina,TX
Good "The sign-up lady was nice and explained all the options to me."
Bad "The installation technician did not show up."
Overall "Avoid SuddenLink."

I took off work for two days to wait on a SuddenLink installation technician, resulting in sixteen hours of lost wages.

The technician never showed up. When I inquired, Suddenlink said they had rescheduled my appointment to "sometime next Thursday", but never bothered to inform me of this change via email or telephone.

Fortunately, this delay and lost wages motivated me to research Suddenlink's reputation on the internet. After Googling "suddenlink sucks" and seeing the thousands of reports here and elsewhere of bad service and customer disrespect, I called and fought the "Customer Retention Specialist" until she agree to cancel the installation.

Comments:

linicx

Congrats!

As a former customer in Missouri I think you made a good choice. When I jumped ship for the same reasons I opted for AT&T phone and net. I've been a Dish customer for about 10 years now.

Review by Aquineas0 See Profile

• Location: Montgomery,Montgomery,TX
Good "Worked wonderfully initially, was getting the max speed available (107mbps)"
Overall "Good"

(This is an updated review from my original)

I originally had some not-so-positive things to say about my experiences with Suddenlink, but they've been remarkable about addressing the problems I had been having. Since the technicians came out a week or so ago, the connection has been very reliable. My problems were centered around a faulty modem, and a technician was very patient about working with me to try different equipment to get the problem resolved. James T., the technician who spent the most time my case was knowledgeable, professional, and patient. They turned me from an unhappy customer to a happy one.

Comments:
Pete Abel

With Suddenlink

I'm vetted to help customers in this forum (»Approved Suddenlink Tech Support Agents). If you're willing to share name and address on the account, I'll escalate your issue to the highest-ranking manager for your area and ask he and his team to follow-up ASAP. I can be reached through IM in this forum or directly by email: pete.abel@suddenlink.com.

Suddenlink is

The parent company is an outfit in New Jersey that opened an Office in St. Louis so as to absorb Cox customer service as it sold sold out its small and mid-markets from coast to coast. As a former resident of Missouri I feel I am qualified to speak.

I lived in Missouri for several years during which time I had Internet access from Cox and SWBell as well as a home grown local ISP, WISP, and dialup. I have a horror story about all from sending an installation CD that was incomplete, to having the worst possible washed-out cable service at home. I was the last customer in the 'hood'.

In the end I dropped Suddenlink for bad service, lame excuses. and false advertising. Calling the 28.8 dial up modem "de facto" speed in America did Suddenlnk no favors. By then it was offering some type of traditional broadband service to the home that had far surpassed all dialup speeds set by Cox years earlier.
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside
Expand your moderator at work
Aquineas0

join:2004-10-28
Montgomery, TX
·Suddenlink

Updated.

I wanted to do my due diligence and provide an update to this issue, as it's only fair to Suddenlink to do so. I had two Suddenlink techs show up at my home this morning to try and help me solve my intermittent connection issues. It turns out that there are actually two problems. The first and primary problem is that my Motorola SURFBoard Gateway SBG6580 Docsis 3.0 modem is either malfunctioning or is incompatible at some level with the Suddenlink network. I'm going to go under the assumption that it's malfunctioning, because it worked well for the first month of service and then suddenly went south. The super-professional technician left me a test modem to try for 24 hours, and if that works fine, I'm going to switch to a brand-new previously unopened Cisco DPC3000 that I had previously purchased (in case my Motorola Surfboard was defective).

The other issue is that there's a possibility that the line from my home to the tap was nicked upon burial (as evidenced by the fact that my phone service tends to go AWOL in the rain).

Thanks to Suddenlink's responsiveness and to Pete Abel for getting the ball rolling to get this resolved. It would seem in this case that the primary issue is probably caused by my own equipment. I just wish I could have discovered this a month ago.

Re: Updated.

Happy to help out. Keep us posted.