Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

Suddenlink page on DSLReports

Review by jdmm72 See Profile

• Location: Nitro,Kanawha,WV
Good "Bill comes regularly. Speed is good right now"
Bad "Bad techinical support. Improper disconnect orders, ongoing speed issues, MASSIVE PACKET LOSS"
Overall "When it works correctly, it is good, WHICH IS SELDOM."

UPDATE 4/14/2015: Everything has been going pretty good since February 2015. Speed was pushed up from 25Mbps to 50 Mbps. I installed a Cisco 1841 router and speeds are good. Updated ratings to reflect.

ORIGINAL REVIEW

If you want reliable speeds, go with DSL. The variation in the connection speed is not present, but neither is the higher speeds of cable.

If you want speed/performance, then SL cable is the choice. The speed does vary, but it still is much faster than DSL on average.

First try 2005: I had Verizon for telephone, Dish Network for TV, and SL for internet (1.5Mbps). Pretty happy with internet service.

When SL offered telephone service, reduced my telephone bill substantially, so I subscribed. A few good months, then....

Frequent phone issues, no dial tone, but still had internet, many customers effected, but stated resolution times of 2 hours often stretched to 12-24+ hours. My wife decided that we would switch to a traditional telco because house alarm didn't work when phone was out. Switched to Verizon ADSL and telephone service. Expensive, but it always worked. After 2 years with Verizon, switched to Fibernet (who was bought by nTelos wireline, and became Lumos) an ILEC, for same service but cheaper (and a static IP address.) Had billing issues with Fibernet (stopped recieving bills, but not late fees.)

Second Chance: June 2011: Switched back to SL for faster internet, and phone. Fibernet ADSL was rated at 3Mbps (honestly got 3.5Mbps), and SL offered 10Mbps. Fibernet ADSL/telephone bundling was $50/mo ($60 after tax and fees), SL was $55/mo ($67 after tax and fees.) All good until...

February 2012, slow speeds, frequent internet and telephone disconnects, and no resolution to problems.

Now it is June 2012, still slow speeds, telephone service is finally stable, but internet is averaging about 3.5Mbps, and goes down to 1Mbps during peak internet hours. Not acceptable.

Had truck rolls in February, 2 in March, and one in April 2012. Cabling has been replaced, outside interface box has been replaced. Cable terminations have been replaced, coupler in attic has been replaced. Was supposed to have one in May, but college finals and graduation were more important. Had appointment set up on June 5, for June 15 that I couldn't make. Technicians have always said the signal to my house is good.

Called yesterday (6/21/2012) and the support agent actually said, "we haven't had a technician to your house in over a month," when arguing that they can't assume a infrastructure issue. So, I'm supposed to have a Suddenlink technician invade the privacy of my house once a month, waste time on the appointment window, and be happy with that.

So, what has been the subject of the blame game? House wiring (techs say my signal is good, and only thing hooked to SL cable is the SL modem, as TV is Dish Network, and SL ran the cable to the attic themselves, then did reuse a cable that goes to a wall plate that originates in the attic), Cisco 851 Router (SLs first troubleshooting step is to remove router, which DOESN'T fix ANY issue, and causes line monitoring to stop), Computer (speed is also slow on our Sony Blu-Ray player, even with computers off), but I've been assured it's not infrastructure on multiple occassions.

My personal assessment is that the infrastructure and equipment is saturated. SL only offers DOCSIS 2.0 telephony modems, which only bind on one channel, whereas DOCSIS 3.0 can bind multiple channels. That is only my assessment though, and I'm a Telco tech, not a cable tech, so take it with a grain of salt.

Evidence to back up my assessment...

From modem event log, 2 recurring messages (These messages make up the majority of the events)
1. No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2. Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, but no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 timeout

The common factor between these 2 messages. High CMTS utilization. T4 indicates possibly >95% CMTS utilization. Recommended range is 80%

According to »volpefirm.com/docsis-101 ··· tenance/,
"A final note, T3 and T4 impairments are always within the DOCSIS network inclusive of the CMTS and cable modems. In fact it is the cable modems themselves that are doing the counting and alerting of T3 and T4 timeouts. This is one time that the IP network behind the CMTS is not to blame for any of these errors. No finger pointing on this one!"

What this says, it's Suddenlink's own DOCSIS network itself, not my network, not the Internet itself. So, it is in Suddenlink's network between their customer premise Cable modem and their CMTS inclusive, nothing on my side.

In a nutshell, they OVERSOLD their network.

6-22-12: Had a tech come out today, replaced the modem, all good for a few hours, now back 1-2Mbps.

7-2-12: Had a "Supervisor" tech come out, and ask about speeds right now at 6:00PM, and when they were alright, he left, telling me to call back when I had a problem.

7-5-12: Down to 5-6Mbps again, still no resolution, and SL only offers to send another tech out. IT'S THE OVERUTILIZED NETWORK!!!!

7-6-12: Checked my bill, I was charged $39.68 for a service call to replace SUDDENLINK's modem, which DID NOT fix the issue, also my internet fees were supposed to be refunded, and that didn't happen either.

7-7-12: Still going down to 1Mbps at night. Contacted tech support AGAIN, they just flat out refused to help, stating that I was being affected by an outage. Sent email to Pete Abel asking for assistance. We'll see.

7/12/12 - 7PM, connection running at about 0.4Mbps (4% of my rated speed) for the rated speed of 10Mbps. WOW!!! Suddenlink supposedly is going to split the node, but was told that it could take months. Serious considering move back to "slower" 3.5Mbps DSL, as 3.5Mbps is still faster than 0.4Mbps on 10Mbps rated cable.

7/13/12 - Back to 1.4Mbps, awesome, so glad I subscribed to 10Mbps.

7/18/12 - WOW Seldomlink upgraded my service to 15Mbps, what is my throughput at 10:00 PM? Oh, between 3-5Mbps. SeldomLink, You rock!!!! Uploaded 2 speedtest imaged (From SeldomLink's own servers).

7/19/12 - So, my speeds have been pretty stable since 6:00PM at 250Kbps. I cannot use my phone and internet at the same time. I either have phone service or internet service, like back in the Dial-up days. Currently I chose to have phone service, because I can tether 3 times faster through my nTelos cell phone than with my cable modem.

7/26/12 - Local tech supervisor came out, installed a DOCSIS 3.0 modem in addition to telephone MTA. Now I am getting rated speeds consistantly. Things are looking much better, hope it keeps up.

8/13/12 - Things still looking good, updating review to reflect that fact. Had some billing issues, but all worked out, but spent another hour on the phone to fix it.

11/30/12 - Screwed up billing again for October and November, overcharged by $20 per month. Spent 20 minutes on hold, 30 minutes total.

Check my connection in the monitor group for Suddenlink at »/testh ··· ?view=83 with the DSLreports speedtests shown. Here is a link to the Speedtest.net page showing the recent results »www.speedtest.net/result ··· db&ria=0

12/24/2012 - No internet service, no phone service, no ETA at call center (thank God for Cellular and Mifi's). Came back that evening.

12/27/2012 - Internet speeds at .3Mbps on 25Mbps connection. Not happy. Called SL, may have been a fire for some building of some company that may have burnt a cable or fiber somewhere, that may be affecting you. Yep, pretty much that vague.

1/3/2013 - Internet and phone out, no estimated time for fix.

3/21/2013 - Been a fairly uneventful time. The service is currently working pretty good for the last couple of months. Some ratings were raised to reflect.

4/1/2013 - Got a bill stating that my bill was past due and threatening termination. What is the past due balance, you may ask? $18.73. Suddenlink once again FAILED to apply the $20 monthly credit. I can't dock tech support/customer service anymore points, it's already at the bottom. Already on a phone hold for 12 minutes (without having spoken to a live person), to inquire about my bill at 12:34 PM on MONDAY April 1, 2013, a non-peak time.

2/28/2014 - Again internet speeds are drawing down to 200-400 Kbps with loss of telephone service. I DO NOT RECOMMEND SUDDENLINK, but very few alternatives available. I have called and we are now treating this as a new problem, EVEN THOUGH the ORDERED node split NEVER occurred.

3/5/2014 - Connection back to expected shape after local management called. Some work at the CMTS was done and the connection has been stable all day, even during peak hours. Thanks to Pete Abel for making this happen.

7/3/2014 - Internet and Phone were disconnected at 9:33:59 am 7/1/2014. Why? Apparently non-payment. Balance due? $00.00. Restored service at 12:24 PM on 7/2/2014 and then went down again for 3.5 hours.

8/21/2014 - Found out about previous disconnect order. It was for a DIFFERENT CUSTOMER, OPPS, not even as much as a apology. Phone and internet are now dropping out daily, BOTH modems go completely out of sync. Suddenlink dispatched tech on SUNDAY (8/17/2014) and failed to inform me, just get a knock on the door. Tech also apparently decided not to submit any notes of work done. Connection was stable on Monday (8/18/2014), but dropped on Tuesday, then again on Wednesday and stayed off until Thursday evening. COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE!!!

1/1/2015 Major packet loss during peak hours and now modem going offline daily and stays that way. I have had two "line-techs" to my house last week, after the second tech, my modem started going off line daily and remaining offline until powered cycled. Problem is, I work 150 miles away, so by the time I notice it, I'm 2+ hours away. I first started noticing stuttering on my Android tablet (Nexus 9) and then started to notice games and Netflix stuttering. After investigating, I found via PingPlotter that I am losing 10ish percent of packets during peak hours, which talks to the error correction of new games and Netflix, 10 percent should bring them to their knees, but it does not.

Comments:

tech101

@184.21.36.x

not a tech in your area but would like to help

I noticed your post and just wanted to ask a few quick questions
first is the hardline outside your home aerial or underground? did the techs go back through the hardline if so how far have you spoke to any of your neighbors and are they having the same issues you are the times I have ran into this and it not having been a house issue comes down to just a couple things one there's either an area in your main line feeder/trunk with water damage or heavy squirrel chews on it don't know if this helps but it may be a good idea to bring it up to the next tech out
jdmm72

join:2002-02-12
Nitro, WV

Re: not a tech in your area but would like to help

The node was overloaded, and I was forced to use a DOCSIS 2.0 modem because of telephony. They installed a separate DOCSIS 3.0 modem, in addition to the telephony modem, and speed issues are fixed, as I can bond to multiple unused channels.
jdmm72

Flaky service.

Speeds today as of 12/27/2012 are averaging about .30Mbps. Yee Haw, glad I'm paying for 15Mbps internet service and am set up for 25Mbps service.

On 12/24/2012, had a day long outage with no explanation from SL, other than there is an outage.

lvlill3r

@frontiernet.net

Switch to frontier Vdsl or bonded HSI

Switched to Fronter Communcations Bonded 24meg service from seldomlink and my connection has never been better

Review by davidg See Profile

• Location: none
Good "best speed in the area and NO CAPS"
Bad "high cost"
Overall "worth it if you can pay the price."

We put in cable internet because Uverse was only good for 3/512 here. It took a while because they had to build out a mainline to us from several hundred feet away(about 5 poles). The service has been rock solid other than originally being too hot and had some blips but were quickly fixed.

Recently SL upgraded our 50/8 to 150/8 at no additional charge.

member for 12.8 years, 5049 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by cdarena65 See Profile

• Location: Bossier City,Bossier,LA
Good "When it works, fast internet and decent phone"
Bad "It doesn't always work - frequent outages and network congestion"
Overall "Caveat Emptor - let the buyer beware"

Overall I am satisfied with Suddenlink in Bossier City, but there are times when I feel like pulling my hair out.

I cut the cord on Cable TV service a few years ago, and now subscribe only to high speed internet ($52/mo) and VOIP phone ($25/mo "for life" - which may not be such a good thing with prices dropping).

"high speed" is officially 12MBps download speed, and 1.5MBps up; I have sometimes clocked as high as 14MBPs down, and 1.2 MBps is a more realistic average upload speed. This is normally plenty of speed for watching 2 on-line shows at once (CBS or Netflix), checking email and some web surfing, and light online gaming - all at once, on 4 devices. Downloading large ISO files (like the latest Linux flavor) is pretty darn fast. And uploading video to Youtube... well, I do that at night when I'm sleeping - adequate.

A word about VOIP (Voice over internet protocol): I made this decision based on $100 phone bills - now I'm down to $25 a month plus maybe $20 in (international) long distance calls. At the time, I was worried "what happens when the power goes out - does my phone go dead?". The response I got was "Here's a Telephony cable modem with a built-in battery to provide power."

The reality of VOIP: When my connection speed drops (and oddly enough it is usually the Download side that drops - the Upload side is rarely affected), people on the other end complain that my voice sounds Roboty or cuts out. And that backup battery works great when My House loses power, but does Nothing when the Neighborhood loses power - apparently the rest of the VOIP telephony network is NOT battery backed up.

Outages: Okay, with any network there are bound to be outages, and "in general" Suddenlink is pretty good about fixing them. From 2000 until December 2014 I had maybe one outage every 2 months - barely noticeable unless you really needed the internet at that minute. But come December 2014, some curse seems to have hit my network: I had repeated outages, usually internet only, but sometimes including the phone. Usually 1-5 outages a day - I know, because one of my online games shows a "lost connection" error in the chat log, and my wife would tell me at lunch that the Internet and phone went out that morning.

Performance: I pay for 15MBps download, and that's pretty much what I have come to expect, and for the most part received for the past 14 years. But the past few months there have been times that my speed degrades to 1MBps - causing issues with video, slow page-load times, and robot voice. Tonight is one of those nights - I called Suddenlink to report the issue and... well this deserves its own section.

Technician competence: Here is a typical experience (from tonight). Call Suddenlink, and suffer through the ads for "WWE (pay-per-view?)". Maneuver through the voice-mail menus reminding you to reset your Modem, Router, and Computer. Next you wait on hold "for the next available agent" - and suffer through a bunch of ads proclaiming how fantastic Suddenlink TV, Phone, and Internet are - and how reliable they are too. When the agent actually answers, again suffer through the whole "reset your modem" routine. Listen as the agent arranges to have a technician sent out at the earliest time - in 4 days. (Hopefully this issue will resolve itself in less than 4 days, considering it worked just fine an hour ago) When I tried to give him more info to help diagnose the problem (I mentioned I had run several speed tests) he replied "how hard is was to get an accurate speed test over WiFi." (paraphrased)

FYI - I do not have WiFi connected tonight (for security I rarely do). And to get an accurate "snapshot" speed test, all one has to do is disconnect any router or switch and directly connect a PC (preferably running a minimum of network related services) to your modem and run a speed test: immediate accurate results unaffected by any other network devices. Was the technician assuming I had a WiFi router, or spouting tech-babble to attempt to impress his customer? For reference, I have a Bachelor's in IT and hold Comptia certifications in A+, Network+, and Security+. My current job covers all those areas, so in a nutshell I Know Networking.

False Advertising? You be the judge: I recently saw a cable ad at work for Suddenlink phone - a little girl called 911 on a cell phone, and the emergency operator asks if she can call back on a land line. (Intimating that Suddenlink Phone service is far more reliable than that ancient Cell Phone technology). While waiting on hold for Suddenlink Tech Support you will probably be bombarded by more ads touting how reliable and superior Suddenlink services are. Which is Ironic, considering I am usually calling Suddenlink from a cell phone because my Suddenlink phone and internet are out... Maybe not false advertising, but it is Really Annoying to hear how "reliable" something is while you are on hold for 45 minutes to report your phone & internet outage! (Did I mention how the cell phone miraculously stayed connected the whole time?)

Competition: As of February 2015, AT&T U-Verse also services my neighborhood offering a comparable plan for internet+phone; After my recent troubles I am tempted to give them a try; I suspect if these problems keep up I may be giving them a call.

Update: To give them the benefit of the doubt, I ran some more speed tests about 90 minutes afterwards, and I'm up to 3.6MBps and 4.9MBps; still not above 10MBps and its well after midnight now.

Update 2: (In the interest of fairness) about 3 hours later I am up to 16MBps down/1.6MBps up. This is "normal" but remember this is but a snapshot in time - 5 minutes ago my video was buffering in the middle of a show. (Usually I buffer at the beginning and the video will then play flawlessly) Do I suspect someone at Suddenlink did something "techno-magical?" No - I suspect it was either general line conditions or a partial outage that was resolved; time will tell. I just wish the reliability in 2015 was what it used to be from 2000 til 2014.

Update 3: 2-28 2015 Last night noticed another bad down-spike. Both up and down speeds dropped below 300KBps for about 30 minutes. I suspect that Suddenlink either has too many hosts on my current network segment (congestion due to poor network analysis and failure to upgrade link speeds), or else some there is sort of bandwidth shaping in effect for higher-tier users (WHICH WOULD BE ILLEGAL following the 26 Feb Net Neutrality ruling). Regardless, these interruptions and consistently re-occuring slow speed periods make a strong argument for failing to fulfill their side of the contract. (Or if you want to quote the TOS double-speak back at me, then a strong case can be made for false advertisement; doubly so when you add in the frequent outages and have to listen to how great Suddenlink's Telephony service is while you are forced to call Tech Support from a cell phone!)

Update 4: 2-28 2015 (11 PM) Here we go again. Sudden lag in response from the simple point-and-click online game I am playing; 10 minutes ago it was fine. Speedtest (to a Suddenlink server in Lake Charles, LA!) shows 300KBps down speed, and 1MBps up speed. (I am subscribed for 15MB down/1.5MB up) And I hear my wife's youtube video pausing/resuming in the background. For reference, after the speed test my router shows far less than 100KBps of actual outgoing traffic at the moment, so it is not some mysterious background traffic, and I have no wifi so nobody is sneaking onto my router. This is what I mean by re-occuring - it seems like every evening sometime after 9:30PM my download speed drops far below normal. If it stayed above 4MBps I probably wouldn't notice unless I was downloading something huge - I'm talking about a painful 90% or more reduction in speed - visually obvious.

Update 5: 3/10/2015 10:50PM Okay, tonight it is so bad that my first attempt at a speed test and the page couldn't even load the graphics or the speedtest applet. My second attempt: the applet loaded but froze when selecting the nearest server based on ping. In the other room, my wife's Youtube show sounds like 2 kids fighting over the mute button on a remote. Logging in to do this update was painful. Come on, Suddenlink - I'm paying for 15MB, and I'm lucky to get 15KBps tonight... Why in the hell would I even consider paying for an upgrade to 50MB? So you could rip me off for even more bandwidth? There ought to be a MINIMUM speed on these packages.

Update 6: 3/13/2015 10:41PM Sigh - it was acceptable all day today, then at 10:20 or so, bandwidth dropped below 1MBps. Went to check in the other room, and it crept back up to 17MBps. 10:30 it dropped again - so badly I could not load DSLReports at all. Came back up to 8MBps, then went down again to the point that Speedtest would not even run. Up again... then down again around 10:40PM. Speed tests are all over the place. Tried pinging my DNS server, DSLReports, and Google.com - fast results but a bunch of dropped pings as well. Now (10:45) it seems to be back up again, at least for the moment. 10:50PM - spoke too soon... another 1 minute dropout. 11PM - Been completely down more than up the past 10 minutes. Tried 6 times to get a Speedtest with no luck, then 13MB downspeed. The speed graph looks like a jagged sawblade, with drops down to zero, then at the end a steady climbing hill. I wait until I hear steady video in the other room before pressing update on the review.

Comments:

Postal1982

@cebridge.net

No problems here.

I have sudden Link and I get 50 MB down and a sad 3 Mb up. I have a great ping on speedtest.net of 8-10 ping and the speed has never been below 47.5 mb.
cdarena65

join:2015-02-23

Re: No problems here.

I've had Suddenlink since I got here to Bossier City 16 years ago - heck, it wasn't even Suddenlink then, it was Cox Cable (who was bought out lock stock and barrel by Suddenlink - I kept the same line, modem, and everything), but up until this year I've never had an outage or problem lasting more than a day or two. The past three months have been like torture - just fine most of the day, then in the evening Daddy Suddenlink finds the bottle of Scotch and the evening is ruined - have to wait until he passes out in a few hours.
SDLashley1

join:2011-07-19

Suddenlink Help

Hi cdarena65 - My name is Ashley, and I'm with Suddenlink. I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing issues with your Internet service. I'd be happy to work with our Management team in your area to investigate this issue. Please feel free to email me directly with your account address - my email is: socialsupport-AT-suddenlink-DOT-com. Thank you, -Ashley

Review by derpygirl See Profile

Good "When it works: It's great "
Bad "Like I said, when it works. That's rare. "
Overall "Honestly? Buyer Beware "

Okay, back around 2011: My family got Suddenlink internet after dropping AT&T because they charged us a fortune. At first it worked pretty well. It was fast, it was reliable, and it was pretty okay. Sure, there were outages a few times but overall, it worked okay.

That is until we got the cable added in with the Tivo Box. Now for them to do this, they had to put in a cable that ran outside across the backyard. They said they would get someone to bury it in a month's time. They didn't actually do that until 5 months later, when our dogs chewed up the cable and ruined both the cable and the internet.

Once it was buried, it was okay. Until around 2014, when it just started dropping like crazy from 12pm - 5 pm. Now for me, I use the internet constantly for web surfing, gaming and just being social with my friends. However, most of the time I have to wait until the connection stabilizes to do anything. Even when we call Tech Support to come look at our service and see what the problem is, we have to be on hold for 45 minutes or longer for them to keep asking us if we reset our modem. Which we have: SEVERAL TIMES.

The last time we called them, we were given the whole treatment: listening to a robot voice, waiting forever to actually get a person to talk to us, them asking us if we reset our modem and then finally someone asking what was wrong. After talking for awhile, we got someone to come over at 4-6 pm. Which for my family, that's difficult because no one is really home until after 5. It didn't matter because they didn't show up until 6:30 pm about 30 minutes before their shift ended. Really, they just stood there and did what we've done several times and told us it was nothing.

Now, it barely connects to either of our devices. All of our phones, our Mac, the three Windows laptops in the house and my niece's Samsung tablet. The Tivo Box works fine but the internet doesn't.

Honestly, I don't know what happened between those times but nothing has been working. The customer service is really shoddy. The connection is unreliable, especially during a storm [ rain or snow ]. The speed is slower than molasses in January half the time and it feels like we're not getting our money's worth.

It can work, but most of the time it doesn't for us. So, if it works for you: then you're lucky. From what I've seen with multiple reviews, this internet isn't the best as they advertise. But hey, it may just be us and the area we live in. We don't know, we can't get a solid answer out of them.

Comments:
totalradio

·Windstream

And don't expect to get an answer.

Suddenlink has a bad habit of providing lip service to its customers. I run a computer service company and I started getting complaints from some Suddenlink customers. They all had the same problem, and started calling their "tech support". They're neither "tech" or "support", got the run around, the obligatory "we're sorry but there's nothing we can do". Until...

I decided to take it just a little further up on the pecking order within the company. Did a little research, and got a couple of key email addresses. So, I took a shot at it to see what might happen.

This was on January 5, 2015 around 8:30am. I explain my problems in detail (forcefully) and "explained" what was about to happen. Like magic, around 11:00am that same day, the problems were being tended to and by the end of the next business day, all was well.

If you want to try what I did, just shoot me a PM and I'll give ya a couple of folks you can email. If it worked for me, it just might work for you.

Review by JBrown11 See Profile

• Location: Wayne,Wayne,WV
Good "Internet and Phone very few issues love the speed increase"
Bad "Cable TV nuff said"
Overall "Continued price increases on Cable TV CSRs are not knowledgeable"

My current services at time of the review is

Triple Play - Includes: SL200, High Speed Internet 50.0, Home Phone Unlimited $144.94 (TiVo Q included - Increases $5.00 in April will be $149.94)

Family Package -$8.00 (Increases $1.00 in April will be $9.00)

Safeguard -$4.99

TiVo Mini - $7.00

SL DigitaLink - $0.00

Broadcast Station Surcharge - $4.59 (Increases $3.07 in April will be $7.66)

Sports Programming Surcharge - $0.00 (Will begin to charge $3.00 in April)

Now I have been a loyal cable subscriber in my area since 2006 before Charter sold the area to Suddenlink (known as Cebridge at the time) that is 9 years as a cable & internet subscriber and I was one of the first to sign up for their telephone service dropping Frontier Communications in my area.

Not many people liked Charter at that time but I never had issues with Charter and always had my issues resolved. That turned bad when Suddenlink took over later in 2006. Just some history with Suddenlink:

With Charter I had their "Biggest" programming package all premiums, all digital tiers, 3 converter boxes (2 DVR 1 Standard) Basic Internet. When Suddenlink took over they increased the speed of the internet to 10 MB and I called to take advantage of the new speed tier. My cable TV and Internet were not in a double play package with Charter and when Suddenlink took over I was in a grandfathered TV package I asked several CSRs before upgrading Internet if it would break my Cable TV package I was assured I would keep my current TV package so I upgraded the Internet only. The next month I get the bill increased 100% and I was now paying full price for Basic/Expanded Basic all three digital tiers and all three premium services and for all three boxes. I called to ask what happened and was told where I changed my internet speed I broke the grandfather package and couldn't get it back. After threatening to cancel I get the "Silver Value Bundle" which included Basic, Exp Basic, One converter, One tier) I had to drop all my other services to return my bill to normal

My second strike with Suddenlink came when they introduced TiVo in my area. I asked how much a TiVo HD DVR would be and was told it wouldn't increase my bill I was like okay lets do it. Again I get a nice surprise the price of my SD DVR goes from $9.99 to $16.00 and I now have the extra HD tier of channels at an additional cost. I found this out by checking the Recent Activities section they USED to have on their website. I spend 3 hours on the phone to get the HD pack removed and even after speaking with a manger that told me the SD DVR price would go back down to $9.99. I leave for work then come home at 2am to find that the SD DVR had all of its functions disabled I called tech support and they told me I canceled the SD DVR service earlier in the day and a tech would be out the next day to swap boxes. After spending another 3 hours on the phone with a Tech Manger that was rude they finally re-instate my SD DVR service at the price of $9.99/mo with the Manager being rude telling me I was lucky I called when I did as they charge $16 for any DVR.

Four months ago I called Suddenlink because I was tired of paying the same price for cable service after the Viacom channels were dropped my bill was over $200/mo I call into Billing and ask for a breakdown of my services and their respective charges. The CSR was rude telling me that the TiVo, Family Pkg and Wire Maintenance was extra at that point I wanted a supervisor who gave me the breakdown I wanted and gave me a one year discount to bring my bill down to the current price.

And now I see the increases for the Cable TV portion again I understand Suddenlink is a business however after dropping Viacom channels which are being claimed as expensive my bill is set to increase by $12.07 which brings it close to the $200 mark again. I always try to see value in what I am paying but after talking with two CSRs I don't see the value in this anymore. Their main points:

- If we kept the Viacom channels your bill would have increased 18% instead of the 5% and DirecTV just had a 5% increase to their services

- The Broadcast surcharge is for your local networks and the price they charge us to carry them

- The Sports surcharge is for dedicated sports networks like ESPN and for general entertainment channels like TNT, USA and CBS that carry sports. Apparently this has always been there Suddenlink just ate the cost of this surcharge until now.

Now these explanations have turned me off their Cable TV Service they honestly have because according to the CSRs I am now paying 3 different times for Locals (Basic, Broadcast Surcharge and Sports). Suddenlink in this area carries the LEAST amount of sports programming compared to Comcast, DirecTV and Dish that carry BOTH regional sports networks in my area.

Now Comcast does charge a Broadcast fee but it is nowhere near the $7 Suddenlink will begin to charge. Both Comcast and DirecTV carry a "sports" fee in my area but again with those two companies it is a "Regional Sports Fee"

I am now looking into other options as this is ridiculous I'm not spending this much money on cable tv and if it wasn't for my grandmother and mother living at my second home I would so ditch the TV part completely and go with streaming. I refuse to pay over $10 in surcharges for the same channels I already pay for in my SL200 package. I also will not pay an additional $1 for the damn family tier when they removed channels from it to put on the SL 200 lineup and added lower rated networks to the family tier.

FXX, Great American Country, Hallmark Movies and Mysteries, OWN, and UP were already availble in either Sports, Family or Movie tier

Game Show Network was a channel they dropped along with POP (then known as TVGN) then readded after the Viacom dispute

Pivot, Sprout, & TheBlaze were the only "new" channels they added

The replacement digital channels most of them are a joke and I know all the new channel additions/moves do not equal the amount they were previously paying Viacom.

Comments:

DM

@suddenlink.net

They have alienated there customers and continue to lie.

We have now taken channels away to save you money. We have now charged you more for the family package (we took channels from) raised your sport package, raised your local broadcast fee, added a a sports fee.

You now have a faster internet at no additional cost. Two months later, we are raising your internet another $5.00. I think enough is enough, Suddenlink has continued to lie to there customers. It all adds up to more profit for them, or less because they continue to alienate there customers.

Review by monster87 See Profile

• Location: Royse City,Rockwall,TX
Good "In the beginning, they were a fundamentally a good cable isp. Since 2011, they've gone downhill, and have now reached bottom"
Bad "DATA CAPS (Ridiculous!); My bill has jumped from $77 to $120 because I went over the friggin data cap"
Overall "Their internet is the worst I've ever had. It goes out 5-9 times a day, every day. Actively choose to avoid this comapny."

Avoid this company like the plague. They jacked the over the cap fee from $5 per 50mb to something much higher without any meaningful notification.

Comments:

Review by TurboNerd See Profile

• Location: Clovis,Curry,NM
Good "It works when it works, but if you have any problems at all see the BAD."
Bad "Tech Support Sucks, you have to go other routes to get it fixed like here on DSLReports"
Overall "Don't get any other services other than basic/expanded cable."

3 years for an ongoing phone issue (turned out to be a simple DROP that they refused to replace blaming it on equipment/house wiring for 3 years)
2 months for a recent OVERSOLD/OVERLOADED network issue where they wanted us to supply our own separate piece of equipment.

I couldn't put the real date on DAYS FROM ORDER TO SUCCESS because it only has 3 spaces I need 4.

If you have a working setup COOL for you.
MAKE SURE YOU PAY THE 5 DOLLARS A MONTH FOR UNLIMITED TECH VISITS BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT YOU WILL NEED IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM. at $50 dollars a visit it did cost us a hundred dollars for them to NOT FIX THE ISSUE.
If you have any problems at all DON'T EXPECT THEM TO FIX IT RIGHT THE FIRST, OR SECOND, OR THIRD, OR FOURTH, OR .........(I can give details/threads to explain it all) through normal channels
Normal Channels being local office visits, 1-800 tech support, and field techs.

IT TOOK COMING ON DSLReports.com TO GET SOMEBODY TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE SLOW INTERNET ISSUE and ONGOING PHONE ISSUES.

Normal Channels wanted us to spend our own money on a DOCSIS 3 modem (we don't have a DOCSIS 3 PLAN) to alleviate the slow internet issue for their OVERLOADED/(OVERSOLD) NETWORK. But DSLReports helped us by getting them to supply us with one.
Normal Channels refused to replace the DROP to the house which was the cause of the ongoing phone issues. It was the help of DSLReports and refusal to let the tech in the house to diagnose/touch anything untill he replaced the drop when he knocked on the door.

SuddenLink should do better TRAINING of their CALL CENTER MONKEYS, as well as the FIELD MONKEYS that come to your house.

I am not a cable tech nor do i profess to being one, but I knew what was wrong but was told countless times that's not the way it works.
I have limited knowledge with INTERNAL cable modems connected to a DOCSIS 1.0 CMTS from my nerd days 12.5 years ago and limited terminology knowledge but that was enough for me to diagnose my own stuff.

IF YOU WANT IT DONE RIGHT DIAGNOSE IT YOURSELF and DEMAND THE TECH DO AS YOU SAY BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW THEY JUST SWAP PARTS NOT DIAGNOSE. If they are supposed to diagnose they are just LAZY AT DOING IT. I have never underestimated the LAZINESS OF PEOPLE but it surprises me all the time.

IS SUDDENLINK HIRING, BECAUSE I CARE ABOUT THE PEOPLE, AND THE COMPANY. NOT JUST THE PAYCHECK AND BOTTOM LINE.
I TEACH THE HIGH SCHOOL KIDS THE SAME THINGS. MAYBE THEY CAN HELP YOU OUT.
HATE THE EMPLOYEES THAT CLOCK OUT AND NOT THINK ABOUT THE JOB BECAUSE THEY KEEP THEIR PERSONAL TIME PERSONAL, WORK TIME WORK.
A GOOD EMPLOYEE & GOOD COMPANY DOES/ALLOWS FOR BOTH.

TRAIN YOUR EMPLOYEES TO CARE, OR FIRE THEM & STOP HIRING MONKEYS.

PRE-SALES INFORMATION, All i want is a listing of your services and prices (regular menu price not introductory rate) none was available it needed to be entered in the computer and the lady behind the desk refused to go through all of the options. (worst rating)
INSTALL COORDINATION- the trained monkey showed up on time (as expected)
CONNECTION RELIABILITY- works when it works (hopefully you don't need TECH SUPPORT)
TECH SUPPORT- NON EXISTANT, MONKEYS WERN'T TRAINED RIGHT OR EVEN THE SAME WAY (ONE TECH WILL BLAME ANOTHER FOR NOT DOING IT RIGHT AND ON AND ON)
SERVICES-OK when it works (would get better rating if TECH SUPPORT made it work like they should figure out the issue instead of swapping out parts and (its fixed) even though they have been told it's an ongoing frequently intermittent issue)
VALUE FOR THE MONEY- would be better if they knew what they were doing.

Update (now I have the ability now)
Fall 1014
Unable to update (though comments are still locked.
Moldy pickle it was 24 years when Cox set us up and was unable to give a date they turned it on.
(Others)
I hate the fact I had to come here to resolve issues. But am glad the Suddenlink employees HERE were able to give us knowledge what's happening and when issues will be handled.
It took a while but be rest assured (knowing you are already here to read this) the representatives/techs here will resolve your issues.
Being here gets the ball rolling at least and I am now confident they will strive to keep the momentum rolling on that ball.

Speed resolution was stop gapped (going from 1 channel to 4) in spring 2013. But January 1014 issues returned appropriate information was given they resolved issues for now.
Hopefully they can be proactive instead of reactive from now on, but who knows what will happen next year concerning issues but I know where to go to get the issue resolved from now on and visiting this forum you got your ball rolling.

Dave Gillis (Sr. Vp of southwest operations) informed me that the comment Trained monkeys was a racist comment to the African American community. Not being racist (and not understanding those who are) my ignorance caused others to feel that way. And I give my apologies to all whom were offended.

Will update scores appropriately after 1 year time has passed with no issues with service past the residential end of the drop. Example in home wiring or equipment we own (cable modem belongs to suddenlink)

Comments:

moldypickle
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA

That's time to live, as in, how long did it take from the day your ordered to the day they showed up to hook it up

Not surprising...

Suddenlink used to have their trolls on here as well, led by the SVP Pete Abel. I don't know of anyone they've helped with their internet (or TV) problems, except to make them worse. When I had them, they got one shot to fix my internet & TV problems a few years ago, and they failed miserably. I promptly got rid of them, encouraged other to get rid of them (which most did) and I haven't looked back since. Got AT&T DSL for internet and Dish for TV. Been very happy ever since.

I feel your pain. Suddenlink is as clueless as politicians.

abnormal69

join:2003-04-19
Branson, MO

Re: Not surprising...

I was having issues with my internet and after several calls to support, I gave up. I contacted Pete Abel on here, and my problems were resolved within a few days surprisingly. Kudos to Pete on my end.

Review by TheMega See Profile

• Location: Parkersburg,Wood,WV
Good "Used to be great until about a month or so ago. "
Bad "Times out when just watching YouTube. 15MB connection showing in KB up to 2MB"
Overall "Sucks ass right now. Going to turn in my cable box and turn off phone. "

Been a VIP customer for years. Going to drop both TV and Phone due to ignorance and BS. My 15MB Internet has been topping out in 2MB range with a few readings down in KB area! Support is of no help - just canned response of turn this and that off, reboot this and the other crap. I've been working on computers since `98. Well aware of computer end of it, and even a little more on some of their hardware when they say to unplug cable modem when it has an 8 hr battery backup inside it... wtf good would unplugging it do?? RESETTING it might do something?!!

Done with their crap - should cut bill $100 after dropping TV/Phone

Comments:
totalradio

Hell...

The Suddenlink trolls no longer show up here anymore to "help people", not that they did any good anyway.

I got rid of them years ago when I got the same runaround from them. Got Dish for television and AT&T for internet and never looked back.

I feel your pain !

Duane

@24.231.29.x

Re: Hell...

Suddenlink has never failed to disappoint me over the years. Found out today that I had been a customer since 1994.. which means I have been a Suddenlink Customer since its existence in Parkersburg, WV. My disappointment runs deep.. I've seen countless rate hikes, avoided late charges on my bill (because Suddenlink "can't control the mail").. by hand-delivering my payment each month on time the day it was due. I've noticed that all the "packages" and "deals" were reserved for only NEW customers. If you were an existing customer, clearly you didn't matter anymore. Even when you had issues or problems they'd send a guy in a truck to your house.... for a ridiculous fee of course. And most recently, after the final straw of dropping nearly 30 channels from my cable and not bothering to make any true effort to inform me.. I decided to make a switch. When returning all of my equipment on the same day my bill was due, I was told to expect a refund of 53 dollars or so? Then was billed for 247 dollars? After a call to their service center, I was again informed to disregard that bill.. I was due a refund. Today Weds. Oct. 22nd I have now received another bill! This one for 87 dollars. Again I'd call to check on the status of my refund.. when low and behold I was told this bill was right? I now have gone from a REFUND to a BILL of 85 dollars?? Impressive Suddenlink.. like I said disappointment just keeps on coming from Suddenlink. When I returned my equipment I kindly stated that if I was not happy with my new services, I'd likely return. Well.. the billing nightmare has enlightened me on that idea! Through all these years of "wonderful" treatment this company has given me in rate hikes, to digital tear-up garbage on their "free" HD channels,(which isn't free when you pay a cost for the HD box to receive the channels..pfft)... to out and out removing some twenty-something channels from my cable line-up,... as a kind thank you to me leaving them in the dust, they now claim I owe them money?? It's always been pretty clear what suddenlink has been about,.. and it certainly isn't the customer,.. it's that almighty dollar their after. Thanks for clearing it up for me. And in regards to the so-called balance due... I'll just call it even for ripping me off all these years in rate hikes and channel losses. For very poor customer service. And for not giving a damn how the customer feels about anything.

Sincerely,
Duane C. Congrove

Sincerely,
Duane

Review by georgew3 See Profile

• Location: Pflugerville,Travis,TX
Good "Good bandwidth tests"
Bad "Bad bandwidth on everything except tests. Bad netflix, bad amazon prime, etc..."
Overall "This company is malicious, /causing/ you use exceed bandwidth limits, then billing you extra"

I have deleted my review, because while it had useful information, it was too long, and a recent relevation has caused me to alter my review.

I caught Suddenlink STEALING money from me!!! they are billing me for excess bandwidth that was /caused/ by their network.

So I have directv, I only use suddenlink for overpriced, crappy Internet.

Suddenlink has been blocking, or throttling over the top video. So Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.. Don't really work through Suddenlink. This is not new, it just sets the stage for what comes next...

So with Directv, I have video on demand, so if I miss a show, I can download a copy to the DVR. At first this worked great, usually within 5 minutes you could start watching the show as the download finishes. But recently something changed. When I schedule a show to download, the download will start, but it usually doesn't finish for about a week. Then I get a warning from Suddenlink that I'm using too much bandwidth. At first I didn't make the connection to what was happening, but I spent some money to set up bandwidth accounting on my network to figure out what what was using all the bandwidth. Turns out it was my video on demand downloads.

So at first glance that seems innocent enough, tell the wife to stop downloading so many shows... But she tells me she has only downloaded 1 in the last month. I haven't downloaded any, wassup with that? So I did a download while running a protocol analyzer on the network (in my day job I'm a network expert working for a company that makes routers). What I see in the analysis of the traffic flow is that the downloads start, but never finish, they will run for a while, then be shut down. So my DVR tries again, and again, and again. So if I do one download, it will use 100% of the bandwidth for about a week, and still not be finished.

I ordered Uverse from AT&T. I have a slow connection to AT&T, but it feels about 3 times faster than Suddenlink, even though the speed I pay for through suddenlink is about 4 times the speed that AT&T sold me. When I connect my directv through it, on-demand video works better than ever. Suddenlink always gets great speed tests, usually exceeding the speed you pay for. Bandwidth tests from AT&T seem more real, and run slightly slower than the speed you pay for. To me this tells me that Suddenlink is "enhancing" speed tests to make the connection look faster than it really is. there are all sorts of ways to do this, most likely it is selective bandwidth shaping.

THIS is why we need net neutrality!!!

When looking at similar transfers, moving the Directv connection between AT&T and Suddenlink, I see the server becoming unreachable through suddenlink, while the same IP is still fine via AT&T.

But back to the rip-off... Suddenlink blocks our downloads in a manner to cause them to restart over and over, THEN they bill you for the excess bandwidth. Excess bandwidth that would never happen if they just left your traffic alone.

Avoid using Suddenlink at all costs, they are crooks!

Comments:
Pete Abel
join:2008-01-15
Saint Louis, MO

Perhaps I can help

I'm at Suddenlink's HQ office, and I'm vetted to assist customers in this forum (»Approved Suddenlink Tech Support Agents). If you're willing to IM or email (pete.abel@suddenlink.com) the name and address on the account, I'll escalate your situation to the attention of senior managers for your area.
Vtr_Racing

join:2006-09-04
Pflugerville, TX

Suddenlink

Nice write up. I had the very same issues a few years ago with them. Good product when it worked. I game frequently so it worked pretty good. It went down ALOT. Not enough techs in the field to help with issues. They tried but were overwhelmed since they were the only game in town at the time. We switched to ATT DSL and now UVERSE and its ok except they keep jacking up the price. I was considering trying Suddenlink out again but probably not now.
Jowmu

join:2009-05-04
Lubbock, TX

netflix

I don't have any streaming issues with Netflix or other over the top services. I Netflix quite a bit. I don't like the Netflix app on the TIVO though... as the menus are dog slow. But Netflix thru my Blu-ray app or the TV work just fine. I am not sure what your problem is.

Review by SpyderGurlTX0 See Profile

• Location: Krum,Denton,TX
Good "I really don't have anything good to say about them at this point"
Bad "Very unreliable internet service. We are not getting what we pay for."
Overall "Only option in my area, or I would have switched a long time ago."

We constantly have trouble with this internet service. Recently, we had consistent low download speeds for 2 to 3 months. We complained enough to finally get the contact information of an area supervisor, who told us that they knew there was a problem, but they couldn't fix it for weeks at a time. Eventually, we filed a complaint with the BBB and finally they addressed the issue and our speeds were back up to 15 / second, which is what we pay for. They also credited our account for 2 months service which was good.

Now, not even 2 months later, we are having the SAME issue again. We are back down to 0.6 download speed. We can't even open 2 webpages at the same time. We're "connected", but barely. Of course customer service can't help us. They want to send a tech, who can only tell us again there is an issue in the neighborhood. We contacted the supervisor again, who advised us that he knows there's yet ANOTHER issue, but of course he has no idea when it will be fixed. We are currently at over a week with no resolution and barely being able to use our service.

This is the worst internet service provider I have ever had to deal with. If I had another option in the neighborhood, I would have switched a long time ago. I don't even think they care since they really have no competition. I'm going to get with my neighbors and we're going to demand refunds and for the service to be fixed. I don't know what else to do! It should be illegal for them to continue to charge me and not deliver the service I'm PAYING for.

Comments:
SpyderGurlTX0

join:2013-05-08

Speed Test

This.. this is what I pay like 90 bucks a month for. I'm beyond frustrated with this company.

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 27728205

Meh

@74.196.252.x

Re: Speed Test

Sounds about the right speed for suddenlink ;3. This is pretty much an average thing for suddenlink, they oversell their internet. They would charge 2 people for a 50mbs, while giving 50 mbs to both hoping they don't use it at the same time... now imaging they do that for more than 2 the result is basically the speed you got. The most annoying part is they monopolize this in an area where there is no competition from other providers.

You can call them and they will be all nice and polite, but in reality, they can't fix this(they will send over a technician) and he will pretend like he fixed it.
Pay 90 bucks or $50, in the end you are bound to get the speed of User (X1+X2+X3)/(3).

I use to pay for 30mbs, then swapped to 15mbs. From 1am to 8am I would get the exact result, but during traffic time 5pm 11:50pm I would pray to get a 3rd of what I paid for.