Suddenlink page on DSLReports

Review by acourtesy20 See Profile

• Location: Ruston,Lincoln,LA
Good "Fast speeds."
Bad "Data Cap. Terrible Customer service."
Overall "I pay for whats available. I would rather have Comcast over them and that says alot."

Let's talk about data caps.

I spoke one of their reps. She said this and I quote.

"We're allotted so much data from the government, leasing out a certain amount of bandwidth per customer". I was livid. I've gone over my data cap every single month. 600gb one month, 400 one month - I wasnt home half of it and now this month its at 500Gb. Once again I gave their nice poor representative a phone call. Poor girl. I'm one of those cord cutters, I only use internet. That is all I will ever need. What about NFL gold ticket, sir? Screw it. Internet. I pay for Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hulu for a reason. I'm not going to give you another dime Suddenlink. I will go to DSL before I choose to pay you anymore money. Make me happy.

You would think the richest company in Louisiana would try to benefit it's customers.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week

Comments:
Uplinkpro

join:2008-02-11
Lake Charles, LA

If

If they really did say that, that's a news story right there cause there is no government mandated allowance.
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

Dumb-asses.....

Dumbass got her data and IP address mixed up.. God help you.. These fools are a internet provider...

Review by harrijc3 See Profile

• Location: Spring Hill,Johnson,KS
Good "internet speed is so slow you will struggle to exceed the generous data cap"
Bad "Internet service is unusable from ~4 PM to midnight"
Overall "If you want terrible internet service with data caps call now"

I ordered 20 Mb/s and phone service back in late December of 2013 because Centurylink (the only other option where I live) was not delivering. I was supposed to have phone and internet installed on the same day and someone botched the phone install which did not happen until mid January. I lost internet service for a few days on day 2 after having the service installed. The biggest issue I have with Suddenlink is their inability to deliver the speed I am paying for... it is not even close. Around 3 PM I am lucky to see 6 Mb/s and by 8 PM if I break 1 Mb/s it is a bloody miracle. The worst part? I have been calling them since January trying to get this issue sorted. I have lost count of the number of calls I have made and have had 8 tech appointments and every one of them have said there are no issues with the lines or equipment. One of the customer care reps told me in February they would be doing upgrades in the spring. Either nothing was done or the upgrades did not help as the issue still persists. Either no one in the company can sort out this issue or they are not admitting to the extreme network congestion. Bottom line... if you have another option besides Suddenlink, take it.

»www.speedtest.net/result/3651934770.png

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:

Review by Vice92990 See Profile

• Location: Pauls Valley,Garvin,OK
Good "Price"
Bad "Service,customer support, Tech knowledge,tech friendliness ,consistency of service, speed, connection, support,"
Overall "by far the worst company I have ever had to deal with. Im a patient person but am at wits end with suddenlink."

By far the worst company ever. Not only do I not even get 1/10th of my paid speed, but the connection goes in and out constantly to the point its unusable. I have had a tech at my house almost every month sometimes 2-3 times a month for 4 years because they can't figure out what the issue is. The techs they send out are disrespectful and unknowledgable. I had one tech tell me I should be happy that I even have service as he lives out in the country and pays 100 for 1g. I had the line tech tell me to stop emailing his boss behind his back getting him in trouble. Down right disrespectful. They talked to my wife before I got home one time and she informed me they were very rude and told her the same thing about not contacting their manager. The service itself is horrible , the customer support is horrible, the techs are horrible. The only good thing is its 65 a month but for what Im paying and what im getting isn't worth it. If suddenlink wasn't the only provider out here, which is the only reason im still with them and probably why they think they can treat me this way, I would have switched a long time ago even if it means paying more.

Comments:
totalradio

join:2007-09-15

Be forewarned...

One of the Suddenlink trolls, who are "employees" will be by to "help you out". They didn't help me when I had constant problems with my internet AND cable TV, so I got rid of them.

You may end up doing the same thing. You have my sympathy.

Review by Rock See Profile

• Location: Bastrop,Morehouse,LA
Good "Service is fairly steady"
Bad "Tech support, consumer practices, and pricing"
Overall "Bad! No competition except dsl(slower) and satellite(slow)"

Had service for a year now. Started with internet and tv package at about $105 per month. Techs installed tivo, 2 mini's and wireless modem which I switched out a few days later for my own modem. Left with no instructions whatsoever and did not even put plates on the wall over the sheetrock where they drilled through. Was told by CS that the tivo system would record 4 shows at a time, BS!

Could only get 1 show recorded at a time. CS then sends tech out and find out that you have to disable the mini's on other tv's to get more shows recorded. That sucks. Tech begrudgingly showed how to access tivo to do that. Then I get billed a $40+ service call. I ended up dropping the tv part and kept the internet. 15 meg for $50 per month!! And don't get the 15 all the time. Now out to right at a year I slip up and miss the due date and I look at the next bill and they have put a $9 late fee on a $50 bill. Hell cell phone carriers aren't that bad. I realize that they and cell phone carriers bill ahead but come on, a $9 late fee on a $50 bill. I am disabled and on a fixed income with a tight budget so it does not help.

Now not only this I just found out on my bill that they have a cap limit on the internet. I have my youngest daughter back with us for a while so there has been an increase in the internet usage and I got a warning for going over a limit that I did not know even existed. They have a 250gig cap on the 15 and 30 meg service. The 107 meg service which is not even available to me has a 350gig cap. The 15meg is $50 and the 30meg is $60 and I have no idea what the 50meg and 107meg is as I am sure it is pushing$75- $100 per month.

But new customers can get the 15meg for $35 per month, the 30meg for $45 and the 50meg for $55 per month in my area. I think in the city limits the 107meg may be available. These prices are for new customers only to get you hooked. So I am considering just dropping them and going to dsl. I can only get the 6.0 here but a lot of the time I am only getting 6-7 megs down anyway. The dsl 6.0 is $19.95 per month and may be a 12 month contract but I have had dsl before and only left them for cable because they had an outage that lasted for 10+ days. I got Charter then and was very happy with them til moving out of their area. Maybe by the time the contract is up there will be another provider in the area or I can get a better deal on service from them but for right now they suck.

So for the bottom line, if you can get service from someone else, do it.

Comments:
totalradio

join:2007-09-15
·Windstream

I feel the pain !

Rock, we're just up the road from you in El Dorado. I started out in 2002 with Suddenlink (when it was Cox). Service was shitty from the start. A few months after they rolled out cable internet, AT&T offered DSL. Not as fast as cable, but much more stable and I've been with DSL ever since, that's been 12 years ago. Both have caps here, but DSL is much more stable for me. Suddenlink has been trying for years to get me to convert to them, and they don't get past the first few words of their pitch before I tell them to piss off. When I had my computer business, I had MANY people who had Suddenlink and wished they didn't. In some cases, some of them got DSL, but in some, DSL wasn't an option

To me, speed isn't important, stability is. DSL may not be for you, but it might be worth the try to find out. Just a thought.

But I'm sure one of the Suddenlink "trolls" who are from the company will try and "fix it for you". I doubt they'll ever fix it to your satisfaction.

abnormal69

join:2003-04-19
Hollister, MO

What?

You mean a 250 Gigabyte cap I hope.
Rock

join:2014-06-23
USA

Re: What?

Thanks, yes I did. Talking about the speeds just overlapped in my aging brain...lol
SDLashley1

join:2011-07-19

Re: What?

Hi Rock - Thomas with Suddenlink here. I'm sorry to hear that your experience with us has been less than exceptional. I'd be happy to look into this for you. Feel free to email me directly at socialsupport-AT-suddenlink-DOT-com. Thank you, -Thomas

Review by barncii See Profile

• Location: Many,Sabine,LA
Good "Low ping times, usually consistent speeds, good customer service"
Bad "Fastest connection offered is 3Mbps down and only 512Kbps up"
Overall "Good company and people but connection speeds are too slow"

I would pay two or three times the money i pay now if i were given an option to have faster service. I sent an email to regional supervisor Randy Goad and received a response back that he would look into it and someone would get back with me, which they did, hence the good customer service rating. The man who called me back informed me that they would be upgrading my area in the first quarter of next year (2013). this is great news but that is still up to 4 months away and its almost 2 years since i received an email that faster speeds were coming, which they did for about 3 days, only to be reverted back to the original speeds. Great company but i wish they would give customers more freedom in the speeds they could choose, especially people who are willing to pay for it. CP-tel is a small provider in Many, LA who offer fiber to the home up to 40Mbps and uploads around 8Mbps. It would be great if suddenlink could offer something competitive to this.

UPDATE: Fall 2013. Suddenlink now offers 15/1.5 Mbps in my area - Finally. this is a much welcome update. hopefully faster speeds will be offered. although 15 is adequate for download the 1.5 is still not what i would like to see for the upload. i have noticed that they are using channel bonding - 4 channels on download. so hopefully this means they will be upgrading the speed soon. Thanks for the update suddenlink!

Comments:

Review by Motes See Profile

• Location: Jacksonville,Pulaski,AR
Good "Internet speed was great for the first 3 years"
Bad "Internet speed has been horrible since January"
Overall "Drop it if you can find another provider in the area."

1. Ordered 15Mbps+TV+Home Phone for $93.14

2. Order and install was great.

3. Internet Service was great for the first 3 years since I moved to the Little Rock Air Force Base back in May 2011. Internet has been slow since January 2014 and this May 2014 has been the worst. I have been getting anywhere from 0.7 Mbps to 4Mbps constantly. Last night's range was 1.55 Mbps to 0.7 Mbps. Suddenlink doesn't seem to be able to fix the issue so I'm currently looking for another provider in the area.

Comments:

moldypickle

To be fair

We're just going to apparently IGNORE the fact that you have been told already by SuddenLink that a large fix was scheduled for August or September (as per what you yourself have said). So saying that SL won't/isn't fixing the problem is simply erroneous and false.

Re: To be fair

It's 30May14, I can't have 3 to 4 months more of service like the entire month of May much less the service since January. Especially when taking online test for my evening classes and the internet service totally quits and doesn't return to useable speeds for the rest of the night. My evening classes that start at the first of July are even more important for my military career and I can't have my test freezing up half way through. Couldn't even use the Wi-Fi on the iPAD last night from lack of service. Had to get on my iPhone and use it to get on the web. It's been an Everyday issue this month. Why should I keep paying for something I haven't been receiving much less keep paying for up to 3-4 more months or more while waiting on a possible fix? I need reliable service especially before the July classes start.

Re: To be fair

And the results of calling in every month for service discounts/refunds have been?

Your review though is inaccurate that SL isn't able to fix the problem. They are simply waiting on a $600,000 fix (again, according to you).

Re: To be fair

True, Suddenlink (Karen Maddie) called on 23 May 14 and didn't even mention the $600,000.00 fix in September that the tech told me about when he was at my house. All she said was that they worked on my node and that my internet should be fixed and that they were crediting my account for $25.00. 7 nights later and my internet was still horrible and getting worse. I will run another speed test this evening and link it to my Facebook as well like I have the last 2 nights speed test. Going to go by Verizon, and Dish this weekend to see if they offer at least 10 Mbps service on the Air Base. From what I can see from the websites, they are a lot more expensive than Suddenlink but I need the constant internet access.

Review by sithru22 See Profile

Good "not much"
Bad "everything"
Overall "pay to much for the little service that is provided (cable/phone/internet)"

The service is horrible. You get very little in form of cable TV for the price you pay. They say free HD but you have to pay for them. Misrepresentation. Where are these services you advertise? My fathers internet keeps going out and we are in the same area, but mine is fine. Has had a tech over 3-5 times. Ëverything is fine is all they say and the problem is never fixed.

Tech support is terrible. Is there any possible way for you people at Suddenlink to get techs who no what they are doing? Your response to everyone is: "I'll escalate this to the attention of senior managers in your area, asking them to follow up. We want you to be pleased with the service you are receiving." This means nothing!!!!!!!

Please use Americans as sales and technicians please.

SUDDENLINK = SUDDENTRASH

Comments:
Motes

Suddenlink

Same issue here in Jacksonville, Arkansas. I was down to 0.77 Mbps by 10 pm last night. Couldn't even get a webpage to open half the time last night. I managed to get 1.55 Mbps about 6:30 pm yesterday. This has been going on since January of this year.

Support staff

SL doesn't have any overseas phone centers and all the techs are american citizens. Not sure what that was about.

Suddenlinker

@145.255.4.x

Suddenlink User of Many Years

I too am a Suddenlink User of many years. I live in south east Ohio along the Ohio River Bordering West Virginia. Across the river there are 2 Cable Companies plus Verizon and someone else.
Over here there is Only Suddenlink and Verizon that I am Aware Of, Maybe AT&T but pffft!.
Verizon will Never receive my money again and I Sincerely Hope they Eventually Close Shop due to their Practices and Activities... Slim Chance Though! End of Digression = ; ' )

Suddenlink on the other hand Provides Very Good, Dependable Service Very Consistently. Tech Support is Top Notch & I feel they run a pretty tight ship here in my area anyway.
I do however, feel their prices are Too High. I used to have their Digital Package (Without Phone) that was $100+ Bucks a Month, (Too Much!!!) so I ditched the TV and stuck with just High Speed 20meg internet at $43.00 a month but had to Buy the Modem to get it down to $43.00. Of course it was $40.00 until the new year came around. When They Raise it again, I will shut it off too!
I Rarely have Issues where I'm at now.
The last place I lived, (Few blocks away) I had lots of problems with signal loss and dropouts etc... but this was due to too many cable splitter connections running through the building and causing the signal loss.
Other than this, I am Happy With the service for now but I can see the writing on the wall.
Verizon Decided to Traverse the globe setting up a GREAT CHANGE in the Internet As We Have Known & Loved It! Why? Because when people started realizing they could stream most of what they payed extra TV for, many began doing so (Self Included) but Corporate America Simply Will Not Tolerate Us Being Happy with Anything Good or Reasonable, they just have to screw up everything we enjoy and make it about More Money & Advertisements! Argh!
Therefore, it is hard to say how long before I Jump Off The Net Too! I Doubt Anybody will be worthy of My Money Once The Change Occurs.

Take Care!

Review by totalradio See Profile

• Location: El Dorado,Union,AR
Good "Speed is good... when (or if) it works"
Bad "When it fails, you're in for a nightmare !"
Overall "Use something else"

·Windstream
UPDATE 08/07/2009
My last Suddenlink internet customer disconnected their internet service today and I canceled my television service from them on the same day. As you can read further as to the problems that I've had with this company.

UPDATE 07/02/2008
Well, I had to downgrade them again. Seems they have latency problems (again). Been running pretty good until recently. 60-80 is the norm, but the last few days its been averaging between 250-800. Don't know what to say, but as soon as I can find out, be more than happy to post them here !

Service is getting better (only marginally), and will upgrade them accordingly. If one of my customers wants high speed internet, I usually recommend a full T-1 (from AT&T or BellSouth), or DSL.

Speed is EXTREMELY ERRATIC, which in business-critical situations, could cause problems. MIGHT be OK for personal use. Seems to be a bit pricey compared to DSL. Having the problems that I've had with this carrier, its gonna take a while to upgrade them. They need to show me how reliable (tech support & connection) they can be.Cable television service isn't much better !

member for 6.8 years, 1984 visits, last login: 4 days ago

Comments:

Review by jpdrake6789 See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "Technicians, when they show up, are knowledgeable."
Bad "Poor customer service, terrible communication, not concerned with customers, at all. Typical corporate indifference."
Overall "If you can get something else, do it."

When I got my service installed, the technician told me that the service was sketchy. She said there was something in the hard line, which meant it didn't matter which service I paid for, there would be issues. She said that another senior technician would have to come out and check the line to figure out the problem, but I would have to call them to make that happen.

So, I began the process of tracking down the issue. First, the technician didn't make any notes about the line, so when I called customer service, I had to explain everything. The representative, as was typical from that point forward, was generally rude and disrespectful, unless I asked for a supervisor. Then, and only then, was anyone courteous or helpful.

After having two more technicians come out to look at the coaxial, it was finally determined that I needed to contact the apartment complex to get permission to do anything else. what followed was a full debacle. Between Suddenlink and the apartment complex, it took from February to May to get the final answer, which was that the apartment complex was concerned that drilling a hole in the wall could be a liability. The reason that it took so long... Suddenlink failed to make contact with the apartment complex after multiple attempts to get them to do so. Even more so, Suddenlink had said that they would call the complex immediately, and failed to follow through.

Between all of this chaos, I was told several times that, once Suddenlink had sorted the issue out, they would negotiate a discount in my bill. However, when I called them to ask for the discount, following the 5 months of frustration, they told me that, since it wasn't technically their fault, even if they did fail to communicate on several occasions, no discount would be given.

Rather than waste your money and your time with this company, I would strongly suggest finding ANY other option. Quite frankly, you would be better off with dial-up.

Comments:

moldypickle

?

Reading your review, it was your apartment complex that blocked the fix from happening, correct?

Review by ajr3v See Profile

• Location: Amarillo,Randall,TX
Good "Online"
Bad "Ping; inconsistency; High Prices for low DL/UP Speeds; Bandwidth Cap"
Overall "Bad ISP but only decent speeds in amarillo area"

I have had suddenlink off and on for years. Ever since I moved from Pennsylvania I have nothing but complaints. As a IT Professional I can tell you their staff is poorly trained; their techs have to make sales on service calls; installs a quick however they never do clean installs. cable slopped wherever they can get it. Worse of all; SL has the worst routing in NA. If you game; expect pings from 50-60 to Dallas from Amarillo; 90+ ms to Illinois and New York and Chicago; Its sad that on Comcast I would Ping 40ms from Pennsylvania to CA but from Amarillo to Dallas at least 50ms plus. I've talked with a SL Tech on the forums who fixed my latency issue; this fixed for a couple days then they went right back up; pm'd tech again and he stopped helping. I would switch to another cable isp if suddenlink wasn't such an oligopoly in Amarillo.

Comments:
sauria

join:2002-04-23
Abilene, TX

Thanks

This is useful.

ken wood

@72.168.98.x

bad bad business stay away from suddenlink

If I can save anyone from this nightmare co. Please listen! Do not trust one word they tell you lie upon lie', not one thing has worked right from the get go 2 months ago! Customer service absolutely horrible and watch you credit card for charges that don't exist! If your a business owner run the other way! FAST!!!!