Suddenlink page on DSLReports

Review by checkplt See Profile

• Location: Kingwood,Harris,TX
Good "fastest speed in my service area"
Bad "have to deal with corporate to get the best deal local office doesnt offer"
Overall "Have been pleasantly surprised with speed and reliability"

Starter with a data package then added phone. They screwed up adding the phone and it took two service calls to unravel the mistake made on the server end. Techs were super!! has been flawless since (6 mo)

Comments:

Review by dbamber See Profile

• Location: Payson,Gila,AZ
Good "It works"
Overall "My speeds are consistent "

I finally gave up waiting for any upgrades from Centurylink to upgrade our 1.5 MB DSL service. I previously had Cable Internet from Suddenlinks predecessor, and it stunk! IMO opinion Suddenlink has improved the plant here, and Iam happy to have changed ISP's. I have run numerous speed tests even using Centurylinks test site, and my download speed has only dropped below 50 MB on a few occasions. I provided my own modem, and had no issues. I was quoted a $40 install fee, and when I got my first bill it was $10 higher. A quick call to customer support had the $10 additional fee reversed.My only other issue with billing is that it seemed that their system took a few days to have my first payment credited to my account, even though their website says that my payment was credited to my account. I have had no billing issues since then. All of us have enjoyed having a fast internet service, and being able to enjoy Amazon streaming video. We have since added a Ooma VOIP phone service without any issues.

Comments:

Review by anklosaur See Profile

• Location: Tyler,Smith,TX
Good "Some reps actually care"
Bad "Spotty, spotty, spotty support"
Overall "Will do if it's all you can get... getting better"

Quick note, service has been getting much better but they've a long history of poor service and customer support ball dropping to overcome. When it works, it works well. They need to continue building infrastructure, adding bandwidth and weeding out the employees who don't know what they are doing. More HD content please... much more. Website is ok if you are already subscribed but it's almost impossible to add/start services, and trying to find out how much it will cost you is impossible from the website.

member for 11.4 years, 1715 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
SDLashley1

join:2011-07-19

Suddenlink Help

Hello - My name is Ashley, and I'm with Suddenlink, and approved to help customers in this forum (Approved Suddenlink Tech Support Agents). If you're experiencing any current issues with your service at this time, please feel free to email (ashley@suddenlink.com) or IM me with your account address and the name on the account, and I'd be happy to escalate the issue to the attention of senior Management for your area.

Review by DataDoc See Profile

• Location: Greenville,Pitt,NC
Good "Rare outages over past 7 years, speeds are as advertised."
Bad "Had to bury my own cable from box to house."
Overall "Rough switchover from Cox, settled down and smooth sailing ever since."

08/20/2013
Moved out of state, cancelled service.

07/21/2013
Other than the occasional 2 am outage for maintenance, I've had solid, reliable, performance since my last review.

08/01/2012
Switched to Suddenlink Business account due to business requirements. Works fine, once fixed IP was assigned.

12/23/2011
Speed as advertised, rare outages for a few minutes/hours. Happy with service.

05/07/2011
Speeds are as advertised, no outages in 2 years. Very satisfied.

12/30/2009
Rebooted modem last night, now have 10/1MB speeds. Only one outage, for about 3 hours, since July.

07/28/2009
Only about a half dozen outages, indicated by my DSLR Monitor showing gaps. Most of these were caused by turning off my PC during thunderstorms.

Overall, good service.

10/17/2008
Speed has gone up to 8MB down, still 512 up. Newsserver sometimes has been erratic, but it looks load related.

Only one or two outages, most I didn't notice, except that my DSLR Monitor showed gaps. Even these may have been caused by my turning off my PC during thunderstorms.

Overall, good service.

04/13/2008
A few minor outages in the last year, none more than a couple of hours long. Calls to support have been answered courteously and accurate explanations were given.

I have switched to OpenDNS and other mail servers (alternate ports for sending, as regular ones are blocked) to avoid SuddenLink's overloaded ones.

Overall, since I only rely on SuddenLink for the connection, I like the service.

09/07/2007
I called support this afternoon and complained about new accounts getting speeds loyal customers had to wait for, and the mumbo-jumbo you did with your account. She explained the policy was given to them, blah-blah-blah. I thanked her and asked to speak to a supervisor to register my complaint. I was on hold for about 3 minutes, and then she returned, she told me the supervisor wasn't available, and that she had turned on the upgrade for me.
And, so she had.
My speed test results: 6619/530kbps
Not exactly maxed out, but I'll test again at a better time. I usually get ~3600/500kbs.

06/21/2007
Called about high packet loss and loss of sync about 2 weeks ago. SuddenLink sent 2 techs out over a 3 days period. Both arrived on time and ultimately resolved the problem to be my Surfboard 4200 modem going bad. I bought and installed the new modem and called SuddenLink to register the serial numbers. It only took a few minutes and I was back online, but when I really began to use the net the next morning I saw the speed was very low. DSLR's speed test confirmed I had a 256/128 connection. A call to tech support confirmed that the tech hadn't deleted the old record, and with 2 modems in the system, only the first (old) modem got the correct speed. The tech deleted the old record, speed returned and she said she would talk to the (newbie) tech about the problem.

When you register your modem, before you end your call make sure you have the tech read back the serial numbers to you . There was no problem here with that, but Cox got it wrong and it took much longer to track it down.

11/2/2006
I was a Cox customer for the last 2 years and was satisfied overall with the service. This review will cover the switchover and what has happened since then.

I watch my monitors pretty regularly, and the the one from the New Jersey site used to average in the 20ms range, but after the sale to Cebridge, it slowly crept up to around 100ms, with large swings. Two Sundays ago we were switched to SuddenLink's network and the pings are down into the 30ms range, without the large jumps that occurred on a regular basis.

Yesterday I switched my Cox account info to SuddenLink's, using their 4 step procedure at »suddenlink.net During this I used the Trueswitch software.

I only had one account on the old Cox network, so I went ahead and tried out this feature when I was transferring my Cox account to SuddenLink. I have Outlook, and use many non-Cox mail services, so your mileage may vary if your setup is different.

The first thing Trueswitch does is go through your mail and creates a new folder under Inbox, and then moves a copy of every email folder and its contents to that new folder. This took over 20 minutes for me. Once I found the duplicate folders I deleted them. The originals were unchanged.

Next Trueswitch goes through your Contacts List and sends a "change of address" email to every address in it. 99% of the people in my Contacts weren't even aware of that Cox address, and I spent last night getting "Is this from you?" emails, replies from mailing lists that told me how to really change my address and bounces from "announce only" lists.

Trueswitch seemed to imply it would change the Outlook POP and SMTP settings as needed so I could send mail using SuddenLink servers, but that didn't happen. I changed them later. Their instructions are here: »account.suddenlink.net/selfcare/···ngs.html
These assume you only use their servers, so if you don't, do as they say, except change the settings shown on the 3rd graphic from "Use same settings" to "Log on using" and fill in your SuddenLink account info.

All in all, I wouldn't recommend using this if you use other mail services. If you used Cox for your mail, you may still have to change the settings yourself. It might be good for average users, but if you're experienced, do it yourself.

One last thing, my IP seems to change every 2 days. I've had to install a dynamic IP updater to keep my monitors useful. With Cox, it only changed twice in 2 1/2 years.

Comments:

Tyrind

@suddenlink.net

Horrible Reliability

I cannot count the amount of problems i've had out of Suddenlink here in Greenville, MS. Pay for 30/5MB speeds and only get 30/1.5MB speeds and reported it but nothing was ever done about it, constant outages and problems or lack of quality signal. Horrible support team with little or no helpfulness.

Review by Turbo Mach 5 See Profile

• Location: San Augustine,San Augustine,TX
Good "Speed"
Bad "Price"
Overall "If you stay on them, they'll eventually fix it..."

Ordered late October (10/1 the fastest they offer here in San Augustine), finally got it stable mid November. During that time speeds were great in the morning but come the evening: no. Would drop to ~1 Meg service. Not good at all. Called a couple times, tech came out and fixed it (changing the filter and resetting all the way into town) but still had the same problem. Well one night Suddenlink called me back, asking if I still had the trouble. Told them yes and that possibly the line that runs from the pole to the house is the issue (been up there for over 10 years). Replaced the line, reset everything back into town and haven't had an issue since (apart from the occasional drop but that's to be expected). Suddenlink has a bad reputation in this town for their cable TV though but I didn't order that, just Internet. So long as it's stable, stays stable and fast (and hey, maybe even get faster for the price I pay), I will be with Suddenlink for a bit.

Got an Arris DOCSIS 3.0 modem. Install was pretty clean and quick.

Update as of 2/23/2014

I went on and replaced the modem about a year ago with a Motorola SB6121. Great little box. Saves me some $$$ with the rental fee. Then about a few days ago, we got bumped from 10/1 to 15/1.5. And honestly I'm seeing it go a little higher. Keep on trucking Suddenlink. MUCH better than AT&T in this town now!

Comments:

Review by gatorkram See Profile

• Location: Winterville,Pitt,NC
Good "The good points are that there are no real bad points"
Bad "The phone service doesn't offer free calling to Canada"
Overall "Best price/package you can get in the area."

Overall everything seems to be running about the same as when this area was run by cox.
About the only things I have to complain about are the lack of higher speed options, and telephone.

--update--

They now have a 10/768 package, and rumors to be more in the works for upstream speeds
They also offer telephone now, but I have yet to get it.

--update--

They now have a 50/3 package, which I subscribe to, and have been very happy with.
And they also offer home security packages

--update-- 2/12/2014

They now have a 107/5 package, which of course I subscribe to. It's 105 a month with
cable service. Love it. Wish it had more upload and more cap.

member for 12 years, 4933 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jmorison See Profile

• Location: New Bern,Craven,NC
Good "Speeds, bundled pricing, installation"
Overall "Very pleased"

Switched from CenturyLink DSL after 6 years because they could not provide better than 1.5 MBps speed at my home. Service was very good. Suddenlink bundled pricing with phone and cable will save me about $30/mo compared to prior separate services but now includes free long distance which I was previously putting on the cell phone. Installer was well versed, knew product and ran speed checks on my PC with speedtest.net before he left. I opted for the 10 MBps service for $5/month more, and I'm getting 10.9 or 11 on all subsequent tests with a normal ping of 10 or 11, sometimes up to 25. Arris modem, order placing was fast and efficient with price quotes for the bundle after tax.

5/11 update, only one service interruption for about 1 hour, all users in the neighborhood, speeds consistent at 10.9 down, 1 up on a 10 Mb line. Upstream power does now go up to about 56 most days, where it had been in the 40's before but no effect noticeable on speeds or response. Had the underground line replaced by Suddenlink for problems with TV tiling, service was prompt and followed up by tech who came to the house for the hook-up and checked the signals at all outlets including the modem. Only issues have been with the DVR for the TV freezing but it has never lost recorded programs after a re-boot. Have swapped the box 3 times since going to HiDef but they each have had problems after about 4 months. Luckily, the office is close by, and when you call the Priority number you get the local office during the day. Very good tech support for these TV issues and for internet support by the techs on house visits.

1/12 Update, continued great service, only outage was a short one during Hurricane Irene but once power was restored all was fine. Speeds consistently 10.9 on a 10 line, no more TV issues with the new underground line.

12/12 update, continued great service now upgraded to 15 Mbps, speed tests show 17.5 after the burst to 22+.

7/13 update, still great service, did have to get a replacement modem from them as it would not reset itself after a power or other interruption. Speeds remain consistent at 17+/1.6 Total price listed includes phone, TiVo, internet, bundles.

1/14 update, new modem resolved all resets, no interruptions since. Speeds still 17+/1.6 on a 15/1.5. Excellent tech support on a high upstream power issue (55 to 58), found it to be an older small analog TV on the cable. New LCD TV, power down to 44-48.

member for 12.6 years, 4423 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Zorack See Profile

• Location: Fayetteville,Fayette,WV
Good "ok"
Bad "not too bad"
Overall "over priced cable tv"

Both television and my internet have been pretty solid for quite a while now,but like utilities they raise their rates far too often when it exactly isn't needed,it's greed plain and simple.

member for 12.6 years, 5703 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

DontUseThem

@mycingular.net

Suddenlink is crap

Saw a commercial today for suddenlink, stating weather didn't effect their service. What a complete lie. If it even drizzles, the Internet goes out and the tv is worthless. Glad I don't use a home phone or I'm sure I'd be pissed about something with that. Overall, I'm done with suddenlink, a dish can't be this bad tv wise nor this slow, Internet wise. If you have a choice, any choice at all, don't use suddenlink.

Review by AricBrown See Profile

• Location: Amarillo,Potter,TX

The are ok, This was a Cox area and they had just upgraded everything. Then sold it to suddenlink. If it wasnt for the stupid money making caps it would be good.

member for 11.6 years, 2574 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Thanatos3 See Profile

• Location: Bryan,Brazos,TX
Good "It handles our heavy use"
Bad "Caps are ridiculous for people who stream"
Overall "I'll be switching back to Verizon with 2 DSL connections with no caps for less per month than Sudden Link"

We were happy with the service for the most part. The service drops once or twice a week and we have to reset the connection, but that's not too big of a hassle. The service keeps up with our streaming TV and games. We have the 30mb package for $70ish a month. Order and install were fine, techs were good when our line was cut, we use Motorolla modem and Netgear router.

We got hit with a excessive usage fee and will be dropping the service. I don't see our usage going down any time soon as technology advances, and I dang sure didn't buy HDTV's to stream at poor quality.

FIOS is not available here but Verizon DSL is and we'll be getting two lines piped in for less than the service charges at Sudden Link.

The bottom line: for a $24 fee, Sudden Link loses $230/month in total service charges (2 homes and cable tv)... I guess I wasn't a good enough customer even though we paid them around $10,000 the past decade or so (without collections issues). The usage caps are not really reasonable IMO, especially for good paying customers.