Suddenlink page on DSLReports

Review by Assassinx See Profile

• Location: Mammoth Lakes,Mono,CA
Good "Listens to their customers with more upgrades coming soon."
Bad "Nothing Anymore as of 2-13-2015"
Overall "Get Suddenlink Internet if you can in the Inyo/Mono Area -"

Updated Review as of - 2-13-2015

Internet Price is $55 a month for the 50/3 and now that they have upgraded my node and they have upgraded the Servers at the central office speeds are consistent even when it is busy in town.

Install Process was smooth and easy. Very well coordinated.

Nothing is supplied unless you want to rent a modem at 5$-10$ a month. (just buy your own Modem and Router)

After calling and complaining and getting Tier 3 support I was finally given a call back by a nice technician who explained the issues I was having were due to an Overloaded Node. He explained they had ordered new equipment but it wouldn't be installed for a while (This was in December 2014). I got a call saying they were going to bring the network down on Thursday night 12:00AM for upgrades on the 13th of February 2015. After the upgrades went into place I have not had a single issue and speeds are very consistent. There is talk of upgrades again this summer for 107Mbps down and 5-10Mbps up.

I complained to the prior to the upgrades which I actually got a call back not to long after. It appears suddenlink definitely is working to help out the customers. If there are problems in your area report it to LEVEL 3 tech support and they should be able to help out. (Know that sometimes upgrades will take 3-6 months)

Thanks Suddenlink for resolving ALL my issues. I highly recommend their service now.

Comments:

linicx
Caveat Emptor
join:2002-12-03
United State
·DIRECTV
·TracFone Wireless

If you are

If you are only paying $70 for 50/3 then kiss them. I'm paying close to $100 for 10/1.

They all oversell the service, charge too much, and have poor tech support. If you do not live in LA or SF or SD, or San Jose be greatful for what you do get. I live in an area where dialup speed is the norm for CL and the other net providers. Most are a duopoly of phone companies. They all collude on price, speed, territory, and scheme to keep competition out of our small towns. ~ Lived it in small town America for too many years.
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

Review by lcornejo See Profile

• Location: Huntsville,Walker,TX
Good "Bandwidth usually overdelivers"
Bad "I never been impressed with latency"
Overall "Gets the job done for most activities, even voip, but usually gaming is frustrating, high latency is just not ideal"

ISP that delivers in terms of promised bandwidth in my neigborhood. But the latency (bufferbloat or routing) is way to high as of late in my area. Walker Co. Texas

Update 2014/12/17:
I got some speed upgrades this month! So far so good. The latency issues haven't been a major problem, but from the recent network changes the west coast pings improved greatly.

member for 1 year, 263 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by marcusj3000 See Profile

• Location: Boyce,Rapides,LA
Good "Quick setup!"
Bad "They might start with the Crappy caps"
Overall "Faster than Ma Bell and cheaper too!"

Update 24 Dec 2014
Now serving 155 / 15 for speed. They have officially obliterated At&t which is now only focusing on LTE and wireless service. Once again only thing better if fios.

Update 30 July 2014

Now have the 107 speed plan and loving it. Wish 300 was available in my area but it is now just getting a test run in TX. Price is still good for what I get with expensive DSL from At&T available in my area. Can;t ask for anything better other than FIOS.

Update: 21 Oct 2011
Speeds still good and service has only been out once after a storm.

Update 25 September 2009
No problems with the service. The speed keeps increasing which is nice. The price for the top tier is kinda pricey but the alternative is the Deathstar AT&T. DSL speed increase is done since suddenlink has just left At&t behind and U-verse is like a good 5 years away for this area. Overall they have a done a good job . gave up on the digital phone ecuase it takes to long to have it setup so now I have VOIP service thru LINGO with no problems at all.

Update 15 October 2008
I have gotten there service again because I now live in a new home and the speed of DSL just isn't cutting it anymore. DSL is dieing a slow painful death and it can't hold a candle to the speed cable keeps progressing to. They have seemed to have corrected some of their problems and currently is a good buy right now.

UPDATE 03/28/2006
I have switch backed to AT& T. Seems that they are indeed throttling speed and blocking ports now. They are also trying out packet inspection technology. What good is the speed when downloading big files and working from home when thy block ports I need to use, cut the throttle speed and make excuses that they are not. I wish they would sell my area to someone else because it was better when cox was here.

I got a 10 / 768 connection and couldn't be happier since AT&T is raising prices and don't plan on digging out of the grave their DSL service is in. Install was smooth since I already had cable TV thru them, just picked up the modem and boom I was online again. I will be order Digital Phone service form them to finally escape the clutches of the death star. I luv the fact that after I bundle all three I will still be paying less than when I had a landline phone and internet thru bellsouth now the new deathstar.

Comments:

Review by Nyron See Profile

• Location: Charleston,Kanawha,WV
Good "Stable and fast. Cannot ask for much more. "

When Charter brought cable modems to Beckley I was one of the first to obtain one. I can still remember the tune of the shark fin modem, as it often reset letting me know there were problems. That always seemed to be the issue with Charter, when I moved to Teays Valley it was really no different. My connection would drop several times a week. This led me away from Charter and I had dsl for a few years.

I have been back with Suddenlink for about 6-7 years now and overall I am very pleased. Their internet has typically been rock solid. Their speeds are fast, especially for WV which is an infrastructure and investment nightmare. They are getting ready to increase speeds, despite not really having any competition (DSL is pretty much irrelevant in my opinion).

Overall very happy with the internet service. At times, their tech support can be a bit marginal, but they are usually easy to deal with. I highly recommend them.

Comments:

Review by Turbo Mach 5 See Profile

• Location: San Augustine,San Augustine,TX
Good "Speed"
Bad "Price"
Overall "If you stay on them, they'll eventually fix it..."

Ordered late October (10/1 the fastest they offer here in San Augustine), finally got it stable mid November. During that time speeds were great in the morning but come the evening: no. Would drop to ~1 Meg service. Not good at all. Called a couple times, tech came out and fixed it (changing the filter and resetting all the way into town) but still had the same problem. Well one night Suddenlink called me back, asking if I still had the trouble. Told them yes and that possibly the line that runs from the pole to the house is the issue (been up there for over 10 years). Replaced the line, reset everything back into town and haven't had an issue since (apart from the occasional drop but that's to be expected). Suddenlink has a bad reputation in this town for their cable TV though but I didn't order that, just Internet. So long as it's stable, stays stable and fast (and hey, maybe even get faster for the price I pay), I will be with Suddenlink for a bit.

Got an Arris DOCSIS 3.0 modem. Install was pretty clean and quick.

Update as of 2/23/2014

I went on and replaced the modem about a year ago with a Motorola SB6121. Great little box. Saves me some $$$ with the rental fee. Then about a few days ago, we got bumped from 10/1 to 15/1.5. And honestly I'm seeing it go a little higher. Keep on trucking Suddenlink. MUCH better than AT&T in this town now!

member for 6.8 years, 163 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by gatorkram See Profile

• Location: Winterville,Pitt,NC
Good "The good points are that there are no real bad points"
Bad "The phone service doesn't offer free calling to Canada"
Overall "Best price/package you can get in the area."

Overall everything seems to be running about the same as when this area was run by cox.
About the only things I have to complain about are the lack of higher speed options, and telephone.

--update--

They now have a 10/768 package, and rumors to be more in the works for upstream speeds
They also offer telephone now, but I have yet to get it.

--update--

They now have a 50/3 package, which I subscribe to, and have been very happy with.
And they also offer home security packages

--update-- 2/12/2014

They now have a 107/5 package, which of course I subscribe to. It's 105 a month with
cable service. Love it. Wish it had more upload and more cap.

-- update-- 8/19/2014

The 107/5 package in my market, with TV is now $86 per month.
Updated my review with the updated speeds and cap info.

Comments:

Review by Cabal See Profile

Good "Fantastic tech went above and beyond for install, reliable service, great signal levels"
Bad "n/a"
(ratings well above consensus)

Had no issues with a Ceton PCIe 4-tuner card from Suddenlink, have since switched to OTA and cable for Internet at half the price. No problems with speed or reliability on a customer-owned DOCSIS 3.0 modem.

Comments:

Deb

@75.111.183.x

Suddenlink ; outdated and up yours company

I hate suddenlink. OUt dated service and they only care they are getting your hard earned money. When it comes to service it is the worst I ever seen. If you have no choice like myself write a review and bitch like crazy...

Deb

@75.111.183.x
I hate suddenlink. Out dated service and they only care they are getting your hard earned money. When it comes to service it is the worst I ever seen. If you have no choice like myself write a review and bitch like crazy...

Athenstx

@166.147.72.x
We were trying to start device with Suddenlink but we had a horrible experience with the service tech. My mother-in-law was here to receive him and he left because "she didn't speak well enough English". The supervisor was not helpful in resolving the issue. I do not recommend Suddenlink to anyone.

Review by AricBrown See Profile

• Location: Amarillo,Potter,TX

The are ok, This was a Cox area and they had just upgraded everything. Then sold it to suddenlink. If it wasnt for the stupid money making caps it would be good.

member for 12.3 years, 2672 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by jmorison See Profile

• Location: New Bern,Craven,NC
Good "Speeds, bundled pricing, installation"
Overall "Very pleased"
(ratings well above consensus)

Switched from CenturyLink DSL after 6 years because they could not provide better than 1.5 MBps speed at my home. Service was very good. Suddenlink bundled pricing with phone and cable will save me about $30/mo compared to prior separate services but now includes free long distance which I was previously putting on the cell phone. Installer was well versed, knew product and ran speed checks on my PC with speedtest.net before he left. I opted for the 10 MBps service for $5/month more, and I'm getting 10.9 or 11 on all subsequent tests with a normal ping of 10 or 11, sometimes up to 25. Arris modem, order placing was fast and efficient with price quotes for the bundle after tax.

5/11 update, only one service interruption for about 1 hour, all users in the neighborhood, speeds consistent at 10.9 down, 1 up on a 10 Mb line. Upstream power does now go up to about 56 most days, where it had been in the 40's before but no effect noticeable on speeds or response. Had the underground line replaced by Suddenlink for problems with TV tiling, service was prompt and followed up by tech who came to the house for the hook-up and checked the signals at all outlets including the modem. Only issues have been with the DVR for the TV freezing but it has never lost recorded programs after a re-boot. Have swapped the box 3 times since going to HiDef but they each have had problems after about 4 months. Luckily, the office is close by, and when you call the Priority number you get the local office during the day. Very good tech support for these TV issues and for internet support by the techs on house visits.

1/12 Update, continued great service, only outage was a short one during Hurricane Irene but once power was restored all was fine. Speeds consistently 10.9 on a 10 line, no more TV issues with the new underground line.

12/12 update, continued great service now upgraded to 15 Mbps, speed tests show 17.5 after the burst to 22+.

7/13 update, still great service, did have to get a replacement modem from them as it would not reset itself after a power or other interruption. Speeds remain consistent at 17+/1.6 Total price listed includes phone, TiVo, internet, bundles.

1/14 update, new modem resolved all resets, no interruptions since. Speeds still 17+/1.6 on a 15/1.5. Excellent tech support on a high upstream power issue (55 to 58), found it to be an older small analog TV on the cable. New LCD TV, power down to 44-48.

8/14, no issues or downtime at all.

member for 13.3 years, 4663 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by checkplt See Profile

• Location: Kingwood,Harris,TX
Good "fastest speed in my service area"
Bad "have to deal with corporate to get the best deal local office doesnt offer"
Overall "Have been pleasantly surprised with speed and reliability"

Starter with a data package then added phone. They screwed up adding the phone and it took two service calls to unravel the mistake made on the server end. Techs were super!! has been flawless since (6 mo)