Suddenlink page on DSLReports

Review by cdarena65 See Profile

• Location: Bossier City,Bossier,LA
Good "When it works, fast internet and decent phone"
Bad "It doesn't always work - frequent outages and network congestion"
Overall "Caveat Emptor - let the buyer beware"

Overall I am satisfied with Suddenlink in Bossier City, but there are times when I feel like pulling my hair out.

I cut the cord on Cable TV service a few years ago, and now subscribe only to high speed internet ($52/mo) and VOIP phone ($25/mo "for life" - which may not be such a good thing with prices dropping).

"high speed" is officially 12MBps download speed, and 1.5MBps up; I have sometimes clocked as high as 14MBPs down, and 1.2 MBps is a more realistic average upload speed. This is normally plenty of speed for watching 2 on-line shows at once (CBS or Netflix), checking email and some web surfing, and light online gaming - all at once, on 4 devices. Downloading large ISO files (like the latest Linux flavor) is pretty darn fast. And uploading video to Youtube... well, I do that at night when I'm sleeping - adequate.

A word about VOIP (Voice over internet protocol): I made this decision based on $100 phone bills - now I'm down to $25 a month plus maybe $20 in (international) long distance calls. At the time, I was worried "what happens when the power goes out - does my phone go dead?". The response I got was "Here's a Telephony cable modem with a built-in battery to provide power."

The reality of VOIP: When my connection speed drops (and oddly enough it is usually the Download side that drops - the Upload side is rarely affected), people on the other end complain that my voice sounds Roboty or cuts out. And that backup battery works great when My House loses power, but does Nothing when the Neighborhood loses power - apparently the rest of the VOIP telephony network is NOT battery backed up.

Outages: Okay, with any network there are bound to be outages, and "in general" Suddenlink is pretty good about fixing them. From 2000 until December 2014 I had maybe one outage every 2 months - barely noticeable unless you really needed the internet at that minute. But come December 2014, some curse seems to have hit my network: I had repeated outages, usually internet only, but sometimes including the phone. Usually 1-5 outages a day - I know, because one of my online games shows a "lost connection" error in the chat log, and my wife would tell me at lunch that the Internet and phone went out that morning.

Performance: I pay for 15MBps download, and that's pretty much what I have come to expect, and for the most part received for the past 14 years. But the past few months there have been times that my speed degrades to 1MBps - causing issues with video, slow page-load times, and robot voice. Tonight is one of those nights - I called Suddenlink to report the issue and... well this deserves its own section.

Technician competence: Here is a typical experience (from tonight). Call Suddenlink, and suffer through the ads for "WWE (pay-per-view?)". Maneuver through the voice-mail menus reminding you to reset your Modem, Router, and Computer. Next you wait on hold "for the next available agent" - and suffer through a bunch of ads proclaiming how fantastic Suddenlink TV, Phone, and Internet are - and how reliable they are too. When the agent actually answers, again suffer through the whole "reset your modem" routine. Listen as the agent arranges to have a technician sent out at the earliest time - in 4 days. (Hopefully this issue will resolve itself in less than 4 days, considering it worked just fine an hour ago) When I tried to give him more info to help diagnose the problem (I mentioned I had run several speed tests) he replied "how hard is was to get an accurate speed test over WiFi." (paraphrased)

FYI - I do not have WiFi connected tonight. And to get an accurate "snapshot" speed test, all one has to do is directly connect a PC (preferably running a minimum of network related services) to your modem and run a speed test: immediate accurate results unaffected by any other network devices. Was the technician assuming I had a WiFi router, or spouting tech-babble to attempt to impress his customer? For reference, I have a Bachelor's in IT and hold Comptia certifications in A+, Network+, and Security+. My current job covers all those areas, so in a nutshell I Know Networking.

False Advertising? You be the judge: I recently saw a cable ad at work for Suddenlink phone - a little girl called 911 on a cell phone, and the emergency operator asks if she can call back on a land line. (Intimating that Suddenlink Phone service is far more reliable than that ancient Cell Phone technology). While waiting on hold for Suddenlink Tech Support you will probably be bombarded by more ads touting how reliable and superior Suddenlink services are. Which is Ironic, considering I am usually calling Suddenlink from a cell phone because my Suddenlink phone and internet are out... Maybe not false advertising, but it is Really Annoying to hear how "reliable" something is while you are on hold for 45 minutes to report your phone & internet outage!

Competition: As of February 2015, AT&T U-Verse also services my neighborhood offering a comparable plan for internet+phone; After my recent troubles I am tempted to give them a try; I suspect if these problems keep up I may be giving them a call.

Update: To give them the benefit of the doubt, I ran some more speed tests about 90 minutes afterwards, and I'm up to 3.6MBps and 4.9MBps; still not above 10MBps and its well after midnight now.

Update 2: (In the interest of fairness) about 3 hours later I am up to 16MBps down/1.6MBps up. This is "normal" but remember this is but a snapshot in time - 5 minutes ago my video was buffering in the middle of a show. (Usually I buffer at the beginning and the video will then play flawlessly) Do I suspect someone at Suddenlink did something "techno-magical?" No - I suspect it was either general line conditions or a partial outage that was resolved; time will tell. I just wish the reliability in 2015 was what it used to be from 2000 til 2014.

Update 3: 2-28 2015 Last night noticed another bad down-spike. Both up and down speeds dropped below 300KBps for about 30 minutes. I suspect that Suddenlink either has too many hosts on my current network segment (congestion due to poor network analysis and failure to upgrade link speeds), or else some there is sort of bandwidth shaping in effect for higher-tier users (WHICH WOULD BE ILLEGAL following the 26 Feb Net Neutrality ruling). Regardless, these interruptions and consistently re-occuring slow speed periods make a strong argument for failing to fulfill their side of the contract. (Or if you want to quote the TOS double-speak back at me, then a strong case can be made for false advertisement; doubly so when you add in the frequent outages and have to listen to how great Suddenlink's Telephony service is while you are forced to call Tech Support from a cell phone!)

Update 4: 2-28 2015 (11 PM) Here we go again. Sudden lag in response from the simple point-and-click online game I am playing; 10 minutes ago it was fine. Speedtest (to a Suddenlink server in Lake Charles, LA!) shows 300KBps down speed, and 1MBps up speed. (I am subscribed for 15MB down/1.5MB up) And I hear my wife's youtube video pausing/resuming in the background. For reference, after the speed test my router shows far less than 100KBps of actual outgoing traffic at the moment, so it is not some mysterious background traffic, and I have no wifi so nobody is sneaking onto my router. This is what I mean by re-occuring - it seems like every evening sometime after 9:30PM my download speed drops far below normal. If it stayed above 4MBps I probably wouldn't notice unless I was downloading something huge - I'm talking about a 90% or more reduction.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Hinkster See Profile

• Location: Elkview,Kanawha,WV
Good "No lapse in Service during transition to cable telephone service"
Bad "When there is a problem they are difficult to reach. No phone or net."
Overall "Wish there were more competition for better rates"

Once you can get in touch with them problems are resolved quickly.

I have added their phone service and amazingly my phone lines are clear without continuous pops and cracks that neither verizon nor ATT could ever repair. F the damn phone companies and may they die slow withering deaths as they lose customer after customer to better rates, service, and quality.

Kudos to Suddenlink because they appear the next day or that day to repair what it takes Verizon 2 weeks to get to. I was without telephone for 4 weeks last summer waiting for them to get to me and then fix the phone. If that had been my internet service I would have been irate.

Comments:

Review by dd31879 See Profile

• Location: Boyce,Rapides,LA
Good "Can call them anytime for support (for whatever that is worth)"
Bad "Packet loss and Peak Hours cause substantial loss in speed"
Overall "Suddenlink is the only service in the area and is better then dial-up."

2015 review update:

My Suddenlink cable internet has been nothing but trouble!

Speed:
My internet speed in the evening is horrible. It is what they like to call "peak hour" speed drop. I can understand this. Everyone being on the same line at the same time causes a lot of traffic. However, there should be NO EXCUSE for my internet dropping from 15Mb to 3Mb. That is an insane amount of drop. I could pay for Satelite internet and be getting faster "overall" performance then that.

My internet during peak hours likes to show up with packet loss. Note though that its not anything to do with my equipment or the lines from my house to the pole. Many technicians have been to my house and many have walked away with the words "Well, I'm sorry I could not find anything" or "I'm sorry to have wasted your time."

Occasionally my internet will decide to just cut out while I am in the middle of doing things. Which is extremely annoying when you are trying to do online college courses. It doesnt cut out nearly as much as some of the times in 2014, but it still happens on occasion.

Support:
Phone support seems lack luster. All they are trained to do is restart the modem and that is it. There is no real "technical help" that knows anything. Ive did my share of phone support and dollars to donuts none of them have any experience in ITT. They are just reading a predetermined script.

They seem to be very zealous in sending technicians to the house even when one just was there. Left hand not talking to the right hand? Seems like a very serious miscommunication. If the technician that was just sent did not find anything wrong then why send another? ..and another? ..and another? It makes no sense at all.

Comments:

elana

@myvzw.com

lost signal

I have only had cable for 18 months but I would say the signals probably gone out six or eight times it always happens in perfect weather like tonight. It seems almost pointless to call them because I don't fit into the business or the residential category since I am NOT a business and the apartment complex pay for our cable

nobueno12

@spcsdns.net

internet connection speed

All my family uses is internet. We have no use for cable or a home phone. We have been with suddenlink for 7 months and been throttled 5 out of the 7. Yes, we stream a decent amount of movies and shows. But this is annoying. And frustrating being that in the military I work hard for my pay. My wife and I both go to college and my sons use abc mouse. With my wifes second job needing voice over IP. It gets frustrating.

Review by Assassinx See Profile

• Location: Mammoth Lakes,Mono,CA
Good "Listens to their customers with more upgrades coming soon."
Bad "Nothing Anymore as of 2-13-2015"
Overall "Get Suddenlink Internet if you can in the Inyo/Mono Area -"
(ratings well above consensus)

Updated Review as of - 2-13-2015

Internet Price is $55 a month for the 50/3 and now that they have upgraded my node and they have upgraded the Servers at the central office speeds are consistent even when it is busy in town.

Install Process was smooth and easy. Very well coordinated.

Nothing is supplied unless you want to rent a modem at 5$-10$ a month. (just buy your own Modem and Router)

After calling and complaining and getting Tier 3 support I was finally given a call back by a nice technician who explained the issues I was having were due to an Overloaded Node. He explained they had ordered new equipment but it wouldn't be installed for a while (This was in December 2014). I got a call saying they were going to bring the network down on Thursday night 12:00AM for upgrades on the 13th of February 2015. After the upgrades went into place I have not had a single issue and speeds are very consistent. There is talk of upgrades again this summer for 107Mbps down and 5-10Mbps up.

I complained to the prior to the upgrades which I actually got a call back not to long after. It appears suddenlink definitely is working to help out the customers. If there are problems in your area report it to LEVEL 3 tech support and they should be able to help out. (Know that sometimes upgrades will take 3-6 months)

Thanks Suddenlink for resolving ALL my issues. I highly recommend their service now.

Comments:

linicx
Caveat Emptor
join:2002-12-03
United State
·DIRECTV
·TracFone Wireless

If you are

If you are only paying $70 for 50/3 then kiss them. I'm paying close to $100 for 10/1.

They all oversell the service, charge too much, and have poor tech support. If you do not live in LA or SF or SD, or San Jose be greatful for what you do get. I live in an area where dialup speed is the norm for CL and the other net providers. Most are a duopoly of phone companies. They all collude on price, speed, territory, and scheme to keep competition out of our small towns. ~ Lived it in small town America for too many years.
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

Review by monster87 See Profile

• Location: Royse City,Rockwall,TX
Good "In the beginning, they were a fundamentally a good cable isp. Since 2011, they've gone downhill, and have now reached bottom"
Bad "DATA CAPS (Ridiculous!); My bill has jumped from $77 to $120 because I went over the friggin data cap"
Overall "Their internet is the worst I've ever had. It goes out 5-9 times a day, every day. Actively choose to avoid this comapny."

Avoid this company like the plague. They jacked the over the cap fee from $5 per 50mb to something much higher without any meaningful notification.

Comments:

Review by cutepuppy See Profile

• Location: Haughton,Bossier,LA
Good "The service has been fairly reliable."
Bad "Monthly bandwidth caps. Communication before the installation process could have been better."

The service with Suddenlink has been decent. I haven't had many issues with reliability.

My issues are with the monthly bandwidth caps. Faster service is offered up to 100Mb/s; however, the same monthly bandwidth cap of 250GB is enforced regardless of speed. So there is no incentive to order faster service. If they offered any tiers with unlimited bandwidth, that would be hard to pass up. But, as it is currently, I will pass.

In addition, during the installation process, the installer tells me after most of the work was completed, that he would need to collect the first month, plus installation fee ($75.00 total) up front. I was never told this when I ordered the service. I assumed that it would be billed. I don't know if it makes a difference, but Suddenlink outsourced the install, so maybe that played a role.

Comments:

azbuddy
join:2002-01-17
Colcord, WV
·Suddenlink

Disappointed With Suddenlink

Suddenlink promised customers a free speed increase with no specific info on what from speed to the free upgrade, anyway we never seen it. This is one of 3 residences my family has with Suddenlink spending close to 500 a month not including my elderly parents. It is sad when you loose service because you loose it all, TV, internet and phone. One would think that they could provide 360 service meaning that if you loose a signal from on direction it would back up and proved service from the opposite direction, Possible? Unsure? I would be curious if this could be accomplished. More importantly when you then have no way of contacting anyone in the event of a sick parent needing emergency care. We would be better off with copper land lines and may very well switch to Frontier. What good is a emergency device if you cannot get dial tone. They dont tell you this in the commercials. The batteries in most outside units (large metal boxes you see on poles that send the signals) are bad so when you loose power and have a generator you still have no device or have minimal service lasting less than 30-45 minutes until the batteries die. Where we are located there is no cell service either. They are constantly bragging about their commitment to customers and the increases rise as well. Always offering new customer a much better monthly payment than a user that has had service for years. They are always adding new channels most don't want or need wishing there were at least 5-7 different packages to control what we watch and not watch, allowing us to try and control our bill based on what we do watch because most channels now just play reality tv garbage or useless shows to fill time (including TWC), Just disappointed... we all 3 have 15/1.5 and was hoping for the speed upgrade. We live in a very rural area of WV, zip 25060/25209. and have 2 choices. Oh and please don't try and make me feel like your giving me something that your required to do such as crediting the account if needed for a outage or crediting my account if the tech does not arrive, this should be standard policy and not use it in commercials like you are doing us a favor. On a better note channel quality is usually always good. I would also like to see Suddenlink review accounts with lets say 2 TiVo reveivers and provide alternative equipment option to reduce your monthy cost without 2 receivers. If I had a clear line of site I would go with DirectTV Thank for reading, like I said earlier I am just disappointed with the issues listed Thank You

Review by SixBeard See Profile

• Location: Sanger,Denton,TX
Good "Customer service employees are polite."
Bad "Speeds are very inconsistent. Bandwidth limits need to be updated now that "streaming only" households exist."
Overall "Inconsistent speeds. Low, costly caps."

I have been with Suddenlink for many years because it's the fastest service offered in our area. We signed up with the 15Mbps package and have since been 'Boosted' to the 30Mbps package. Our base cost is $65/month but we end up paying around $100/month because of overages. The first year or so after connecting with Suddenlink was enjoyable but it has gone downhill from there. It is nice to have new speeds available but they are inconsistent and the bandwidth caps that have been re-established are not up to date with how individuals receive their content.

Suddenlink recently opened up 50Mbps in my area but our caps do not change with that option. It used to increase based on what tier package you had but now it seems all speeds are limited to 250GB per month, or at least that is what I was told during my last call to customer support. In my house we stream all of our watched entertainment through Netflix, Youtube, and other sources(all legal). If you have television included in your package you can watch all the tv you want with no cap but somehow internet coming in on the same line, being used for essentially the same thing, is being capped.

When the speeds are good things are nice but they fluctuate so much throughout the day that it's hard to get what I'm actually paying for. I ran an automated speed test for 24 hours and the only time I got my advertised speed was between Midnight and about 4am. Most of the daytime speeds are anywhere between 4Mbps and 15Mbps.

Every time I have talked to customer service they have been polite and friendly. While they can't always help me, usually because of company policy limitations, it seems they do try their best.

Comments:

Review by lcornejo See Profile

• Location: Huntsville,Walker,TX
Good "Bandwidth usually overdelivers"
Bad "I never been impressed with latency"
Overall "Gets the job done for most activities, even voip, but usually gaming is frustrating, high latency is just not ideal"

ISP that delivers in terms of promised bandwidth in my neigborhood. But the latency (bufferbloat or routing) is way to high as of late in my area. Walker Co. Texas

Update 2014/12/17:
I got some speed upgrades this month! So far so good. The latency issues haven't been a major problem, but from the recent network changes the west coast pings improved greatly.

member for 346 days, 239 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by moldypickle See Profile

• Location: Haughton,Bossier,LA
Good "Decent Service"
Bad "tv portion seems high priced"
Overall "ok so far"

updated January 2015
8 channel x 2 channel bonding active in my area, ready for the upgrade wave to role through. Pete has helped yet again. Had a firmware bug in a modem on the approved list that he got me in touch with the right people to report this. Replaced modem and going smooth again. Connection has been stable except for a couple nights of maintenance between midnight and 2, give or take.

updated June 2013
Asking a phone rep about better pricing resulted in a lower bill and faster service. Pretty stable 50/3 with little to no slow downs and basic cable with the HD box. I still feel that requiring a $6/month cable box to be able to watch "free HD" is a bit of a racket.

updated march 2011
Some connection issues had come up but Pete was able to get me in contact with senior management locally. the problem had already been rectified by the time i was conference called with the manager and lead engineer. dealing with people beyond grunt level is very pleasant and productive. internet is now stable and tv works good. beyond the price, i'm content paying for this service.

*********
Well, I ordered my cable on the first of July and the hookup date was all the way out to the 9th. Friday rolled around and no cable man. Turns out he came three hours before the time slot and never called, then went home and started his vacation. The first two times i called in they tried to tell me that they didn't do instalations in the afternoon, then they were telling me that they couldn't install because i needed cable installed in the attic (of my trailer..... ya. that's something the sales lady had asked when i ordered).

so monday came and i finally got hooked up. the service technician, an outside contractor, gave me a hard time because the work order wasn't for a new install but finally ran the lines since i had already paid the extra install fee way back on the first of the month.

since then i've had pixelized tv service frequently and my cable modem drops during the day as i'm experiencing up to a 14db power swing on the upstream side. Currently awaiting another service tech to come out as Motorla advised that the issue i'm having is the modem is turning off and back on due to a power need above 58db up. and this is all on brand new wiring not even a week old.

at this time i'm not impressed what so ever with service OR customer support.

member for 6.1 years, 2081 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Omne See Profile

• Location: Dunbar,Kanawha,WV
Good "Great speeds for the price"
Bad "Having to keep upgrading modem to get new speeds"
Overall "Speed upgrade not free but great speed"

·Frontier Communi..
I have had suddenlink for about 2 years now, first started out with 15/1.5 with their modem and paying a 5.00 month fee. They started to advertise free speed upgrade but to get it you either had to pay a install charge of 20.00 plus a 10.00 month fee for a new modem. I went with buying my own modem sb6141 for about 60.00 and then calling tech support and giving them the MAC address it went very well a little less than 20 minutes I had 50/5 speed.

member for 14.4 years, 4224 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

slinkyman

@74.197.132.x

speed upgrades

I keep seeing commercials about free speed upgrades, but I'm still at 15/1.5, and my modem is docsis 3.0......maybe a phone call is in order.
Jowmu

join:2009-05-04
Lubbock, TX

Re: speed upgrades

maybe a dumb question, but have you power cycled your modem? I kept waiting as well, and found out all I needed to do was power cycle it so it would download the new config file.

slinkyman

@suddenlink.net

Re: speed upgrades

i have, yes....several times. what did your speed upgrade to?
Lindsey

join:2008-12-16
Gypsy, WV

Re: speed upgrades

we still havnt seen speed upgrade in gypsy wv yet..and local tech has no clue about it
jmorison

join:2001-12-08
New Bern, NC
·Suddenlink

Upgrade was free for me

I had their DOCSIS2 telephone modem, ran internet and phone, with 15 Meg service, got a new DOCSIS3 from Suddenlink for free, along with a splitter and 25' cable, plugged it all in and went to 50/3 service (tests at 51/5). It is free for some markets, or perhaps some combinations of services.
Suddenlink