TBayTel page on DSLReports

Review by tbaysmell See Profile

Good "A little better than dial-up or satellite"
Bad "Speed"
Overall "Horrible speed"

I am constantly frustrated with the poor speed tbaytel offers. They advertise 8Mbps, you really get around 3-4Mbps with constant connection dropping. Uploads are around 0.4Mbps. It may be alright for home use, but in an office environment with 10-15 people using the Internet it is frustrating. I have replaced out routers/switches three times already hoping that was part of the problem. It is becoming very difficult to run an office that depends on cloud applications.

They are now offering higher speeds if you subscribe to their television service. They need to offer these higher speeds to everyone (including businesses) before they have no customers left.

Goodbye Tbaytel...
»www.speedtest.net/result/2163247257.png

Hello Shaw Cable...
»www.speedtest.net/result/2163262479.png

Comments:

Review by bman1 See Profile

• Location: Thunder Bay,ON
Good "Faster than K-net"
Bad "Nothing bad just the speed could a bit higher than 4 Mbps."
Overall "It works without many disruptions."

One thing is that it should be 8 Mbps but only get 4 but considering my last internet provider I'm not complaining. The cost comes with a free speed touch 516 v6. Right now it cost 17 dollars for a year then goes to 38 dollars.

member for 9.1 years, 3404 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Thunder309 See Profile

• Location: Thunder Bay,ON
Good "I can host a web server. Speed is as advertised - overhead. Little down time and almost always announced - upgrades."
Overall "An independent company. I get discounts for DSL, phone, long distance, cellular!"

Tech support is available 24/7 and I had help with my router even though they are not obligated to assist with customer-owned equipment.
I like the idea of supporting our very successful independent local phone company -it's a win win situation for all.

I can't wait until they begin to offer an entertainment package to compete with the present EXPENSIVE MONOPOLY- Shaw Cable

member for 13.4 years, 848 visits, last login: 2.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by BrickHost See Profile

• Location: Canada
  • Telco party Sprint
Good "Included accessories, no contract term"
Bad "Very poor reliability, non-existent tech support, poor installation guides"
Overall "Choose Shaw X-Treme Instead"

I setup a DSL connection from TBayTel at my home to run in tandem with my cable connection. If the DSL were faster and equally as stable I would have happily switched and saved $10-15 a month.

They needed close to two weeks before I could go and pickup a modem. No onsite installation with this Teleco. I'm not sure why it took so long, but it was over the summer, so maybe their tech was on holidays.

However, after finally getting the DSL modem to work with my router, the installation guide included was a few photocopied pages, mainly focusing on Windows 98.

While faster with some server, especially those in Minnesota and Illinois, the speed was the same as my cable connection. But, after two weeks, with the connection failing a half hour to an hour a week, the connection died for three days straight. I spoke to friends and their DSL connections were also down. I tried dealing with tech support, but the "24 Hour Internet Help Line" is really just a recording from 6PM to 9AM.

I cancelled the DSL a few days later, and have since upgraded my cable connection to X-Treme. I won't even give DSL from TBayTel a second thought, it's a waste of time.