NBTel now Aliant page on DSLReports
No six month summary.
Closed to new reviews.

Review by mishkin8 See Profile

• Location: Beaver Dam,NB
Good "no dl cap, no throttling"
Bad "speed droped"
Overall "not stable"

I have the ultra and it went full speed for 6 months at 600/60KB/s and then one day suddenly droped to 460/40KB/s. Had techs over and talked on phone lots, tryed different modem, different comp, tested lines max speed which was 7mbits, changed filters, cables etc none of which helped. Along with the speed drop came dropouts which keep my from seccessfully playing online shooters, very annoying but for the most part doesn't hurt other stuff very much.

with the no download cap I can't complain too much as I'm a heavy user

also high ping occurs and packet loss 6% when torrenting at full speed but also happens when using 10+ ftp threads... so I don't think it's throttling... could be the wiring in the house as the basement is quite damp... could be corroded or some shit hard to say.

Anyways it was golden for the first 6 months

Comments:

Review by ve9dwf See Profile

• Location: Dalhousie,NB
Good "If you within range, solid connection - smooth service - line noise issues and older house wiring need to be upgraded"
Bad "Issues with some connections for some i know, customer service should be made aware that the client is not always the problem"
Overall "Very reasonable priced , no Geek dictators , no port throttling , its your internet, do whatever you want with it ..."

They are a straight forward , one of the original ISP providers who as much as possible tried to blanket the province with internet service. Rural coverage still remains an issue as DSL does have its distance limits. Most likely if they stay with copper services, they will fall behind in the future as tech advances increases speeds beyond what copper dsl provides. It will be interesting to see if they continue their all area upgrades for all of the province , or will they just concentrate in urban areas only.

Comments:

Review by techcafe See Profile

• Location: Halifax,NS
Good "i wish"
Bad "dropped connections, dns timeouts, slow speeds (up & down)"
Overall "Aliant DSL is slow and unreliable, a frustrating waste of time & money"

I am subscribed to Aliant's 'Ultra High-Speed' broadband (ADSL) service, which is supposed to have a bandwidth of 'up to 5Mbps' downstream (which is considered slow by today's standards), but my connection gets max'd-out at less than 2.7Mbps downstream, 0.3Mbps upstream, and those numbers represent ideal conditions only.

I've e-mailed and spoken to customer service on numerous occasions... they promise that someone will look into the problem and get back to me... but they never do. Aliant simply does not care about their residential customers.

Some friends of mine, who subscribe to Eastlink (Aliant's competition), are getting speeds in excess of 15Mbps downstream and 1.0Mbps upstream... for LESS money than I am paying Aliant.

It's simply a matter of time before I stop doing business with Aliant, and switch to an ISP with more reliable and faster broadband service.

Comments:

Review by willtriv See Profile

• Location: Quispamsis,NB
Good "Totally open! Torrents are fast! no download limits. Servers are OK!"
Bad "DSL isn't the best, I live far from CO so connection is only 3mb/5mb"
Overall "Solid reliability better than control freaks at rogers!"

We switched to aliant after rogers repeatedly told us we had a virus on our system and cut us off with no warning. Aliant doesn't hooked up their "ultra" dsl for us but old us we lived too far from the CO to get the speeds advertised. I get 3000/520. Which is a lot less than the 8000/1000 i was getting with rogers, but it is a totally open network and i can even run smtp servers. I recommend aliant over rogers because it allows true internet connectivity. Instead of having someone pick and choose what you are allowed to do!

Comments:

Review by lebel7 See Profile

• Location: Petit-Rocher-Sud,NB
Good "good local tech service"
Bad "helpdesk wait in queue over 30 minutes advertsed speed not always up to snuff"

good company
just changed to a lower speed.
giving me similar results to previous advertised speed

Comments:

Review by toto50 See Profile

• Location: Saint John,NB
Good "Telephone Support"
Bad "Most have been resolved"
Overall "Long time getting here but one Manager followed thru! Service is OK now"

After more than 2 years of trying to have my service repaired it now approaches closely the advertised speed. Thanks to a dedicated employee who made it his quest to see the problems resolved. Third World quality phone service has been repaired and now sounds good as a result and of course the DSL improved significantly. I truthfully was about to pull the plug and consult the CRTC to settle the issue but "Derrick" of Aliant's ICT Group Miramichi,NB went the distance and it appears his persistence paid off. I can honestly say that they have retained a customer who would have left for Rogers in all likelihood. They made additional adjustments in my favour as well so as noted I am a very happy camper now. Some advice, after a few attempts don't give up. I tried probably 10 times (had service people, line conditioners and lord knows who else come by to no avail)before I emailed the last agent and insisted on contact with their Supervisor/manager. It was then that I had the good fortune to speak with the right man. So a story of miserable service has been transformed into one of satisfaction. Hang in there if you have problems there are people out there who still know what customer service is all about. I hope Derrick doesn't mind me mentioning his name. He is what customer service is all about. Thanks, Brad G

member for 8 years, 35 visits, last login: 6 years ago

Comments:

Review by kaj27 See Profile

• Location: Saint John,NB
Good "Easy Setup, Faster than dial-up"
Bad "Unreliable speeds, Terrible customer support, Crazy price for the speed"
Overall "Quick way to get DSL, Not worth it in the end."

Where to start....

Aliant seems to think they can claim 3mbps and only give you 2mbps....and its Okay. They customer support couldnt fix my email problem, They kept blaming my computer...even after trying several computers.

The speed is terrible, Sometimes I get a GREAT connections....most of the time I only get 1.5 to 2.0 Mbps. And they wont help me becuase its an Okay speed.

For the price of Aliant "High-Speed" You could get Rogers.....Might as well eh?

They should be offering more for our money, not just crappy tech support, crappy connections, and a crappy modem. Gotta spice it up people.

Comments:

Review by steward9 See Profile

• Location: Saint John,NB
Good "always up good speed down load and now upload"
Bad "none"
Overall "great service fot the price"

i have what is called ultra high speed and it works very well. iam very close to the c.o..uploads were down avg..speed 256kbs called tech. support and with in two days a tech. was at my house 8:30 am swapped modems and uploads on the new mainstreetxpress are well over 400 kbs.. down stream stays about 2300...2400 kbs

no complaints here ...
dynamic ip
using pppoe in xp pro and xp home on oter and windows 98 an the 733
all work well

Comments:

Review by Kr0m See Profile

• Location: Fredericton,NB
Good "Fast email, and sometimes fast surfing."
Bad "Horrible speeds and pings in the evenings."
Overall "I had a similar experience with Rogers, might end up going back."

I'm lucky to get 240KB/s down and 60KB/s up. Its $39.95/mnth +tx for unlimited usage, ONLY one email account, ONLY 5 mb of webspace. I've had it installed a few times because I've moved, two installs were quick and painless, the latest one became a bit troublesome. I could only get 120KB/s down, come to find out I had to change my MTU settings, the installer didnt know anything about it and just blamed my poor download speeds on line conditions. They supply the modem and its part of your monthly fee. The modem I was given is a Mainstreet Express 27020. If you wish to connect additional computers to the internet from your home, NBTel encourages you to get an extra IP for an extra $10.00 +tx/mnth. There are ways around this though. The last while the service, reliability, tech support has been degrading. Users are left in the dark for some time on outages(they do have a network status page which sometimes is helpful). Alot of problems are caused by NBTel working on their equipment and not letting people know about it. Connections are unlinking at random intervals. There's a long waiting list now to get it installed. The delays of installment are blamed on the fact that their supplier is short equipment. Some people have been told that there are no more IPs available in their area at the present time and will have to wait. Transfering files can be a pain, especially for new users. We constantly have to be updating our programs to the external IP. Lately for certain areas certain ports are being blocked, for example Netmeeting can not be used. Large downloads tend to die off and have to be restarted. All in all the service isn't too bad for the money, especially when you compare it to dialup, but the hassels that come along with it aren't worth it sometimes. Theres no other High Speed provider in NB yet so most people put up with all the problems. Rogers @home is soon to be implemented and I expect there will a number of people "jumping ship"

******************************************************************************************

I just came back to NBTel from an even worse experience with Rogers. I guess we can't escape the issues providers have sometimes. The problems I was having with Rogers by far, out weighs the problems I had with Vibe.

Goto »/dsl_diary/other/228391 to check it out.

Anyways, the new Vibe/ Aliant High speed review...

I ordered Vibe on Monday, Feb. 17/03 and got it installed on Thurs. Feb. 20/03.

The install technician had quite a job ahead of him. I knew this and it is why I didn't choose the self-install method. He ended up taking 3 hours to complete. Wires were a mess & there was a previous Vibe install in another room & install a new jack for me.

So far so good speed/ping wise. The download speed is half of what I had before when I was with NBTel. They use PPPoE now as well which was pretty painless to setup.

I'll update this in a couple months.

=======

Update: October 16, 2005

Horrible pings in the evenings for the past few weeks... which is unacceptable since I only have high speed for online gaming.

member for 13.7 years, 216 visits, last login: 7.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by xpac1 See Profile

• Location: Moncton,NB
Good "good download speed(when working)"
Bad "unstable pop3 server down more than up"
Overall "its been worse(its improving a bit)"

Well i must say things have improved in the last 6 months a bit, my vibe rarley goes down, maybey its because people are on pppoe now i dont know. But they still need to work on the network lag we all sometimes feel really bad its almost as bad as a disconnect. Also They need to work on the stability of thier pop3 server and news server. They also need to get rid of thier clueless tech support personel.

Thats my 2 cents.(dont like it? suck it!)