NBTel now Aliant page on DSLReports
No six month summary.
Closed to new reviews.

Review by edrummie See Profile

• Location: E3B
Good "Speed is great, 1-800 number is always answered (short hold time)"
Bad "Upgrades and hardware repairs done without notice, or short notice"
Overall "Great service, but they could work on outage notification"

(I am an employee of the primary DSL manufacturer supporting NBTel's DSL roll out - Alcatel. My opinions are not necessarily reflective of my employer or of NBTel. My opinions expressed here are strictly as a customer/user of the service)

I called and received the service on the same day, which was great. It worked right away and I had my VPN software working that afternoon to allow access back to my office (out of province). I have had no problems with the static Class A 10. address they provide or with the proxy service that maps my 10 address to a public address for Internet surfing.

The modem is the original Newbridge MainstreetXpress 27020 (Alcatel purchased Newbridge in May '00). The modem is full DSL compliant and can provide up to 640 kbits / 6 megbits service. I believe NBTel shapes customer traffic to a 2 mbits/sec rate (250kbytes/sec) at the gateway router in Saint John..

The only difficulty I, and my wife, have had is the mailserv outages and unannounced DLSAM upgrades which leave the service off-line for a short period during the day (uncommon). There have also been some outages related to connectivity to Montreal and Toronto which NBTel do not list in their problem website which I'm sure leads to some customers getting frustrated and blaming NBTel instead of CAnet (who's problem it really is).

All in all a great service, much better then Bell Canada's High Speed Sympatico service in Ontario.

Comments:

Review by Lokes See Profile

• Location: Saint John,NB
Good "Better than Dialup."
Bad "Less reliable than Dialup"
Overall "It is fast, but thats only when it works."

I ordered the Vibe Internet Service which is aDSL. Quote "Vibe brings the customer this amazing speed for both sending and receiving information (2 Mbits/sec download and up to 640 kbps upload)" well, i get maxed out at 250kb/sec download and 60kbps/upload, so I'm happy with that. The install was free for the month, so that was nice. The service is on a Static Internal IP, and dynamic external IP (which takes quite a job to even resolve), and currenly NOT using PPPoE.

The one big problem with the service is the reliablity. Service loss has come to be expected throughout the day and anyone who relies on the service for anything, is a fool. Anywhere between 3 to 10 times a day, service is halted, all connections go down for all customers. thank god nothing critical runs off of this service... or at least I hope.

Comments: