NBTel now Aliant page on DSLReports
Closed to new reviews.

Review by techcafe See Profile

• Location: Halifax,NS
Good "i wish"
Bad "dropped connections, dns timeouts, slow speeds (up & down)"
Overall "Aliant DSL is slow and unreliable, a frustrating waste of time & money"

I am subscribed to Aliant's 'Ultra High-Speed' broadband (ADSL) service, which is supposed to have a bandwidth of 'up to 5Mbps' downstream (which is considered slow by today's standards), but my connection gets max'd-out at less than 2.7Mbps downstream, 0.3Mbps upstream, and those numbers represent ideal conditions only.

I've e-mailed and spoken to customer service on numerous occasions... they promise that someone will look into the problem and get back to me... but they never do. Aliant simply does not care about their residential customers.

Some friends of mine, who subscribe to Eastlink (Aliant's competition), are getting speeds in excess of 15Mbps downstream and 1.0Mbps upstream... for LESS money than I am paying Aliant.

It's simply a matter of time before I stop doing business with Aliant, and switch to an ISP with more reliable and faster broadband service.

Comments:

Review by kaj27 See Profile

• Location: Saint John,NB
Good "Easy Setup, Faster than dial-up"
Bad "Unreliable speeds, Terrible customer support, Crazy price for the speed"
Overall "Quick way to get DSL, Not worth it in the end."

Where to start....

Aliant seems to think they can claim 3mbps and only give you 2mbps....and its Okay. They customer support couldnt fix my email problem, They kept blaming my computer...even after trying several computers.

The speed is terrible, Sometimes I get a GREAT connections....most of the time I only get 1.5 to 2.0 Mbps. And they wont help me becuase its an Okay speed.

For the price of Aliant "High-Speed" You could get Rogers.....Might as well eh?

They should be offering more for our money, not just crappy tech support, crappy connections, and a crappy modem. Gotta spice it up people.

Comments:

Review by Kr0m See Profile

• Location: Fredericton,NB
Good "Fast email, and sometimes fast surfing."
Bad "Horrible speeds and pings in the evenings."
Overall "I had a similar experience with Rogers, might end up going back."

I'm lucky to get 240KB/s down and 60KB/s up. Its $39.95/mnth +tx for unlimited usage, ONLY one email account, ONLY 5 mb of webspace. I've had it installed a few times because I've moved, two installs were quick and painless, the latest one became a bit troublesome. I could only get 120KB/s down, come to find out I had to change my MTU settings, the installer didnt know anything about it and just blamed my poor download speeds on line conditions. They supply the modem and its part of your monthly fee. The modem I was given is a Mainstreet Express 27020. If you wish to connect additional computers to the internet from your home, NBTel encourages you to get an extra IP for an extra $10.00 +tx/mnth. There are ways around this though. The last while the service, reliability, tech support has been degrading. Users are left in the dark for some time on outages(they do have a network status page which sometimes is helpful). Alot of problems are caused by NBTel working on their equipment and not letting people know about it. Connections are unlinking at random intervals. There's a long waiting list now to get it installed. The delays of installment are blamed on the fact that their supplier is short equipment. Some people have been told that there are no more IPs available in their area at the present time and will have to wait. Transfering files can be a pain, especially for new users. We constantly have to be updating our programs to the external IP. Lately for certain areas certain ports are being blocked, for example Netmeeting can not be used. Large downloads tend to die off and have to be restarted. All in all the service isn't too bad for the money, especially when you compare it to dialup, but the hassels that come along with it aren't worth it sometimes. Theres no other High Speed provider in NB yet so most people put up with all the problems. Rogers @home is soon to be implemented and I expect there will a number of people "jumping ship"

******************************************************************************************

I just came back to NBTel from an even worse experience with Rogers. I guess we can't escape the issues providers have sometimes. The problems I was having with Rogers by far, out weighs the problems I had with Vibe.

Goto »/dsl_diary/other/228391 to check it out.

Anyways, the new Vibe/ Aliant High speed review...

I ordered Vibe on Monday, Feb. 17/03 and got it installed on Thurs. Feb. 20/03.

The install technician had quite a job ahead of him. I knew this and it is why I didn't choose the self-install method. He ended up taking 3 hours to complete. Wires were a mess & there was a previous Vibe install in another room & install a new jack for me.

So far so good speed/ping wise. The download speed is half of what I had before when I was with NBTel. They use PPPoE now as well which was pretty painless to setup.

I'll update this in a couple months.

=======

Update: October 16, 2005

Horrible pings in the evenings for the past few weeks... which is unacceptable since I only have high speed for online gaming.

member for 13.4 years, 216 visits, last login: 6.9 years ago