Axvoice page on DSLReports

Review by kathys See Profile

• Location: Avenel,Middlesex,NJ
Good "Crystal clear voice and best customer service"
Overall "Money saver"

I spend so much time on the phone complaining about everything most companies are doing wrong; I figure it’s time to actually give praise to a company for a change. As you can imagine, I’m usually dissatisfied with most of the companies I deal with. For instance, I just had to call my cell phone carrier and complain about my crappy phone reception and dispute some suspicious charges. Then, three days before that, I was on hold for 45 minutes with the energy/water company about my high utility bill. I’m just used to being disappointed so it’s really refreshing to deal with a company like Ax-voice. I've never had any problems with my service nor my bill. Everything works consistently without any worries, which is awesome. I've only had to call customer service once, but the staff was so polite and helpful. I still remember the lady’s name that helped me. When people exceed my expectations, I never forget. I've never taken the time out of my busy schedule to write a testimonial; mostly because I never had a reason to until now. My family has had Ax-voice for a little over six months now, and we love it. Me, my husband, and our two teens all have cell phones, but when we’re at home, we’re mostly fighting over the house phone. We have the Sprint family plan and our signal is horrible in our area, so having a home phone is crucial. We couldn't be any happier. The price is perfect and the features are amazing. So for the first time in a long time, I have no complaints!

Comments:

Review by scottzz980 See Profile

• Location: Wilson,Wilson,NC
Good "Perfect provider I could find"
Bad "nada"
Overall "Excellent voice quality"

My service provider informed me that they were going to close their operations and recommended me a couple of providers. Axvoice was one of them. I compared them with the other options I had available and they stood out for the price, reviews and support. I signed up with Axvoice and the best part was that I was able to secure and transfer my numbers from the old provider to Axvoice. I also loved the option to be able to select any number from any area. Since I needed this line for business line I selected four numbers from Chicago and Philadelphia (have a small branch there). Their voice quality is excellent and 30+ free features make it worthwhile.

Comments:

Review by like2angle See Profile

• Location: Studio City,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Call quality, price"
Bad "Abrupt and poor support, not all features are really available or are limted"
Overall "I would look for a more full featured provider who values their customers"

The tech support and website are written by someone who knows the service and cant put themselves in the position of someone who doesn't. The support email replies are sometime very abrupt.

Example: The is a non descript drop down in voice mail settings where you can choose a time in seconds. You would think it limits the recorded message time bit its really the time to answer.

You can not check your voice mail from another number, they do send a wav file to your email but neither my wife's phone or mine will play it. There are no voice mail instructions at all by the way.

They claim you can use your cell phone through their service but to do so you must first disconnect your VOIP Gateway so in reality you cant.

There is an occasional 1 or 2 second lag in connect times and have had a couple of occasions when calls took 2 or 3 tries to connect. An immediate speed test and ping test result showed no issues on our end.

If they improved their support, the information on their website and were more upfront at to the services they provide they could be a great VOIP provider.

Comments:

Review by matthewb2 See Profile

• Location: Swayzee,Grant,IN
Good "Crystal clear voice"
Bad "nothing"
Overall "best service ever"

I and my grandmother love this service. She has had a landline all her life, and the thought of switching to VOIP was scary at first. Since I've been living with her, I've had internet access. She was complaining about her phone bill being $93, so I suggested getting a VOIP home phone service. Of course she didn't know what it was until I told her; she thought she had to know how to work a computer to use it. After searching the internet, I short listed a few companies. The price is what caught my attention, but after reading the website and reviews, I quickly found out that Axvoice is much better than the other ones I found. My grandmother couldn't believe the price was so low. When we received the adapter, it was pretty easy to setup. When she made her first call, she was grinning from ear to ear. She didn't notice any difference in the call quality. We were also able to transfer the old number and she is really happy about it. She brags about it to everyone she talks to on the phone.

Comments:

Review by destiny See Profile

• Location: 61259
Good "Low rates, excellent voice quality"
Bad "none"
Overall "Very reliable. No call drops"

I must say, I am very impressed with Axvoice; and that's very hard to do. I'm a technical support professional myself. I've been in the field for 7 years, and have heard every horror story in the book. The issues I had with my old provider were dropped calls and poor call quality. Since employees get a discount on services, I decided to get company recommended phone service. I spent more time troubleshooting problems, than actually using the phone. After two months, I cancelled the phone service. There was no point paying for a service that didn't work.

I came across Axvoice and for the price, I had to try it. I read their testimonials and I contacted their customer service first, and asked them every question I could think of. I was surprised how well their staff handled themselves. They were patient, polite, and extremely knowledgeable. I liked the fact that the VOIP adapter was free. Most companies charge customers for the equipment. I got the adapter within a few days; it took no time for it to get here. Installing it was super easy. I just plugged the adapter into the wall, plugged the Ethernet into my router, and I was ready to go.

The features are incredible, especially for a residential plan. When I'm at work or out and about, I get all my landline calls sent to my mobile phone. My favorite feature is the alternative caller id. When I make landline calls, my cell phone number shows up instead. It’s perfect when calling my parents. They don't answer calls from unknown numbers. It took them months to get familiar with my cell number; so instead of having them remember my new home number, I just use the alternative caller id feature instead.

Axvoice is a top-notch service in my own personal and professional opinion. I would definitely recommend them to anyone who wants clear crisp calls and an abundance of features.

Comments:

Review by brittanygorr See Profile

• Location: Granite Falls,Caldwell,NC
Good "Best service ever!"
Bad "nothing"
Overall "Best call quality and value for money"

I'm a sophomore at MSU, and have a horrible cell phone signal in my dorm room. I have to go all the way downstairs to the recreation room in order to get a half way decent signal. My roommate has a better signal than me but she has to sit by the window, and she still gets dropped calls. I told her we should get a landline. She laughed but agreed to pay half. I did a little research and found axvoice.com and that was totally within our price range. When we first got it, we were so excited. Sometimes we chill in the room with our door open, and people would stop dead in their tracks like, "you guys gotta house phone?!" They laughed at first, now everybody wants one. Two other students on our floor has ordered your service as well (btw, we should get a commission *hint *hint ). Talking on our phone is so cool. The calls are always clear and crisp. We barely even use our cell phones anymore. We tell people to call our dorm phone now. Even when we're not in our room, we just forward the calls to our cells. How cool is that?! How many students you know are well connected like us? We've always thought of VOIP home phone services as something for actual homes. Who would've known AX Voice would be great for college kids in dorms. I think I've started a trend. Thanks! You guys rock!

Comments:

Review by auditorman See Profile

• Location: Saint Petersburg,Pinellas,FL
Good "Price"
Bad "Service"
Overall "Horrible, not recommended, and those who like will learn not to like very soon"

These are examples of email responses I received from Axvoice for a simple request: The phone service does not work, I have no dial tone and can not be called, calling party hears a ring but no answer. Call forwarding to a landline was the only way to receive calls.

This is the first in a long line of email responses to NO DIAL TONE on two phones

1. Both these accounts are not registered with our SIP server right now.
Try rebooting all the devices in your network including cable/dsl modem, router and the phone adapter. Wait one minute between each device reboot.

Me: After asking what do I need to do?

2. You need to check your internet connection and the router. There are no issues on our end. Your account is active as wel

Me: After contacting my cable company and emailing their determination.

3. It doesn’t matter what is your bandwidth. What matters is that they might be blocking VoIP/SIP packets. However we do not suspect that. Most probably it’s a problem with your router. Did you recently change it? What is the make and model of your router? We see that the adapter for account “auditorman19585” is not even connected. The adapter for account the cancelled “auditorman1958” is still trying to register with our server. You might want to check that and connect the right device.

Me: The beginning of the excuses, a discontinued 3rd line adapter was not removed from the cable router, the 3rd line service was to be discontinued the next day.

4. As per our record the adapter for account “auditorman19585” with MAC address 000B82333904 isn’t even connected .The adapter for account “AuditorMan19588” with MAC address 000B823338F9 is also not connected.The adapter for account “AuditorMan1958” with MAC address 000B82333B18 is connected however this account is canceled and you should disconnected this adapter. You need to return this adapter. You will be charged $39.99 equipment non-return fee.

Me: The excuses continue.

5. The adapter for account “AuditorMan1958” with MAC address 000B82333B18 was disconnected after our last email. We have the logs with IP address and timestamp to prove that. See the last attempt from this device to download configuration. It never attempted to connect after that.
97.97.14.221 - - [04/Dec/2012:05:47:59 -0500] "GET /gs/cfg000b82333b18 HTTP/1.0" 200 416 "-" "Grandstream HT287 1.1.0.42 DevId 000b82333b18"

The adapter with MAC address 000B82333904 was connected at 6:03 am. See the first attempt to register below.
97.97.14.221 - - [04/Dec/2012:06:03:39 -0500] "GET /gs/cfg000b82333904 HTTP/1.0" 200 512 "-" "Grandstream HT287 1.1.0.42 DevId 000b82333904"

The adapter with MAC address 000B823338F9 is now also connected. See log below.
97.97.14.221 - - [04/Dec/2012:05:46:42 -0500] "GET /gs/cfg000b823338f9 HTTP/1.0" 200 512 "-" "Grandstream HT287 1.1.0.42 DevId 000b823338f9"

Now the correct adapters are connected, we need to know what is make and model of your router because it’s your router that is blocking SIP/VoIP packets now. You need to disable SIP ALG in your router setting. Please look for that and disable it.

Me: As per their instructions, I do the procedure, and it used as another excuse.

6. We updated adapter setting and now both of your adapters are registered. We updated settings to a different non-standard SIP port because the default port is blocked by your router. You might experience issued with calls if your router doesn’t NAT it correctly. Test a few outgoing and incoming calls that last more than 30 seconds and see if it works fine. If it doesn’t then you have to fix your router setting

Me: If the adapters are registering and connecting to your server, then the cable router is not blocking anything..

7.You can try any setting you want, the goal is it should work. However, the routers that do not have SIP ALG enable/disable feature would keep on giving problems. We recommend using Linksys routers

Me: You are the service provider, you should know your business better than I do. If I connect a Linksys router, will the phones work?.

8. You can try whatever you want. We have explained the problem and you now have to go through hit and trial process to get it working.

Me: I have tried everything you have said and I still do not have any phone service. I need your help, this is a service you are providing to me.

9. You keep blaming your mistakes on us and we have logs to prove that and we can present those in the court of law if required. If you can’t make it work we’ll be happy to cancel your accounts and you can return our equipment. We do not want to keep any unhappy customers onboard.
This is a problem with your router and ISP that is beyond our control. We have provided you recommendations. You now have to act on them. You got wrong device connected and blamed it on us. As soon as you connected right devices we got them to work, now it’s your network/router that is causing issues.
If you can’t get it to work and we’ll send you return instructions and cancel your accounts. Please confirm how would you like to proceed.

Me: The poor service providers, I am blaming them because I do not have the service I am paying for. You keep giving me excuses, bottom line, I am paying for a phone service that does not work.

10. You sent cancelation request for one account only. Please confirm if you want to call remaining two accounts as well.
You made a call tat was 52 minutes long so we don’t think you are having any issues. However we see two devices registered with our server. If you are still having issues we have already suggested some work around. Please try those and if it doesn’t work please let us know and we’ll cancel your accounts.

Me: Can you see the lack of spell check? These people I have entrusted to provide a telephone service to me? I received a call that was 52 minutes long and in order to receive it I had to have your service call forwarded to a landline number.

11. Ok, our mistake here that we didn’t notice you had enabled call forwarding. We apologize for that. You should do the same for connecting wrong devices until this morning

Me: The service provider is telling me that I should apologize to them? When did I become the service provider and they became the customer? Another excuse. 3 separate phone services and all they can do is harp on the one that was disconnected. It was removed from service, but now still no dial tone. So what is the next excuse?.

12. We told you the reason and solution. You now either need to work with the ISP or use another router.

Me: After having the cable company verify that there is nothing blocking their services, then asking them what their next excuse will be.

13. There were no excuses at all. From day one we told you that you need to check your adapter because we do not see them connected.
By trying whatever you want, we meant you can try by enabling/disabling different options or try using the Linksys router. If disabling something works for you then we’d be more than happy. Since this is out of our domain or control we can only suggest you why it isn’t working, trying to find what works for you is up to you. Every router is different and have different settings. You have to understand that and try different settings.
As we offered earlier if you do not wish to try anything or think it isn’t working for you we can go ahead and cancel the accounts. Without you helping yourself you won’t get it to work.

Me: Followed a few minutes later, a 2nd email.

14. We also wanted to add that you are taking every email offensive and thinking we are trying to make some excuse or reacting because you cancelled “ONE” account. You need to cool down and then start trying different settings/options. We’ll be glad when it starts to work for you. For us it will be one less ticket to respond to.

Me: This is customer service? Telling me to cool down? I am inconveniencing them by asking to receive what I am paying for?

15. We have tried our best to make the adapters work. We have tested and verified thoroughly by provisioning devices on non standard SIP port because the default SIP port is being blocked by your ISP or the router. Your ISP also confirmed that as per your email communication. Both the ISP and router configurations are beyond our control. We understand that you tried our suggestions but still couldn’t make it work. We apologize for any inconvenience caused.
We have cancelled your accounts. Please return the equipment as per instructions below. Please note that we will issue a refund once we have received the adapters in good working condition. If you file a chargeback or claim in court we certainly will fight back. You will also need to prove that you returned the devices to your credit card company or court with a return receipt or tracking number.
Please return the adapter along with cables and power supply to the address below with in 10 business days. Please send us the tracking number once you have mailed it. You have also been charged $39.99 for the adapter. A refund will be issued once we receive the adapter.
Please note that no refund will be issued if you do not send us the tracking number or anything is missing/damaged in the adapter package. Please contact us 48 hours after delivery of the adapter to request a refund.

So this is how it ended. They canceled my accounts. Because of this I lost my business numbers.

Needless to say, I do not recommend them.

member for 1.4 years, 5 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:
axvoice

join:2007-08-20
NY

Problem with customer's router or ISP

We did try our best to resolve customer's problem but it was an issue with their router or ISP; most probably the router. Whenever we provisioned customer's adapters using non-standard SIP ports it started working but customer's router couldn't handle NATing. It's probably SIP ALG issue that a few routers have and we believe customer accidently updated their router's firmware. We did the troubileshooting but customer didn't act on our instructions to fix it and kept blaming us.
How could we not help a customer who has been with us for over one year and had 3 lines with us. We tried our best but the customer lost his patience and became abusive (that's why he didn't post his replies in this thread) so we had no choice but to let him go.
Expand your moderator at work

·Axvoice

Re: Problem with customer's router or ISP

This customer did everything that he was instructed to by Axvoice.
The cable company also did everything that they could.
The "abuse" was from Axvoice not the customer.
Telling a customer that he needs to cool down? Telling a customer: “You can do anything you want”.
Telling a customer: You can try anything you want.”
Telling a customer: “You keep blaming your mistakes on us.”
What mistakes? I discontinue one of three phone lines then suddenly the other two lines stop working? Try telling a customer that you are working on the problem, instead, you suggest that they cancel their accounts?
Looking for any possible excuse to shift the blame, even trying to accuse a customer of using the service for a 52 minute call without verifying the accuracy of this statement?
Telling a customer that if they cancel their accounts then they will have one less ticket to respond to?
This is hardly the words of a service oriented company attempting to give to the customer the service that is being paid for.
My replies are according with the frustrations that are felt when dealing with a company that is a joke when providing customer service.
Your choice is to let a customer go is because you are not able to resolve a problem in your network.
+According to the cable company, if your server can connect with the adapters, then that is all that can be done, the problem is on Axvoice's end.
The fact is that the next day after canceling one of the three separately billed lines, the other two lines began to have problems.
Axvoice just does not wish to admit that they dropped the ball here and only wishes to put the blame on anyone or anything except where the real blame belongs, on them.
Axvoice – A company full of excuses. We will see what from a legal standpoint their excuses get them. Then let the parade begin against VOIP service providers like Axvoice and see how long they remain in business. Anyone care to join in a class action ?
kbc1982

join:2013-04-07

Re: Problem with customer's router or ISP

I have been in the computer repair and networking business for over 10 years and let me just say this, You need to have a better understanding how routers and gateways work! After reading though all of this stuff you posted I think you have some kind of anger issue or you just think the world is out to get you. Your and idiot and I don't believe you would win anything be going to court in fact you would just get laughed out of court due to your stupidity lol

·Axvoice

Re: Problem with customer's router or ISP

Suddenly the folks at computer repair companies are doing psyche analysis ? Hardly the one to be doing so, especially that it is so evident that your command of the English language is so challenged, even with a spell check button below you can click. You have one point correct, sometimes you can never please, and you are proof of that. I have a feeling that you are actually an employee of Axvoice. At the very least, you are sounding like another loser just like the rest of the folks at Axvoice.
kbc1982

join:2013-04-07
I run a computer repair company and some customers no matter how hard you try to please.. its not worth the frustration of trying to get them to understand and listen.. you're better off letting be someone elses problem.

Review by flexlancer See Profile

• Location: Fort Lauderdale,Broward,FL
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "Calling features and inexpensive calling rates"
Bad "nothing so far"

I'm no stranger to VOIP Home Phone Services. Even though I mostly use my cell phone, it's really good to have a landline. I learned that the hard way. When I moved into my new apartment last year, my cell phone had little to no signal. It was weird seeing how it worked during the first few months living here. I ended up switching mobile carriers, but I felt the need to have a landline, just in case it ever happened again. The company I went with charged over $40 per month.

After awhile, I decided to look for an alternative to save some money. I came across AX Voice and was very impressed with their plans and features they offered. When I made the switch, everything went smooth. The set up only took a few minutes, and I was able to use the VOIP adapter I already had (most companies force you to buy their adapters).

Like I said, the features are incredible. I get way more with AX Voice than the last VOIP company. I use to get bombarded with telemarketing calls (probably most of them were for the previous phone number owners). I'm now able to block all private calls, and blacklist telemarketing calls. Those calls use to drive me crazy. Not only that, but I can avoid those late night calls that interrupt my sleep. So I use the "Do Not Disturb" feature to send people straight to voice mail. That way, I can sleep without being awaken by unnecessary calls from partying friends.

I travel a lot for work, so the "Find Me Follow Me" feature helps people get a hold of me no matter what. When I am at home, I do find myself using the landline more. Cell phones get hot after long periods of use, so its nice to lounge around on the cordless phone. I can't believe how better AX Voice is compared to other companies. I'm saving hundreds per year, and getting more bang for the buck. I even got my parents to switch to AX Voice as well. I can only imagine how much money I would've wasted if I stayed with the other company.

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Phone works"
Bad "The gave away my phone number after provisioning, and then charged me for services I had not yet received."
Overall "Its a matter of trust .."

I signed up for AXVoice due their positive reviews. I decided that I would sign up for the $4.95 / month service, plus $20 reserve and would port the number after I was satisfied with their service. Here is my experience:

Day 1
I signed up in the evening, and I received an on screen message my online order was placed, BYOD
I attempted to sign into their portal with my userid and password – got a message pending approval
No email confirmation of order placed
Day 2
Next day I go to their online chat to see what the status is, their email is being blocked on their side due to being on black lists for spamming

They said they would be calling me for the approval. – (No indication of this step on the website)
They call, all good I'm provisioned, Credit card charged $4.95
I set up AXVoice with my Obi (no instructions) took a few tries

I decided quality seemed good, so I’ll upgrade to the $99 plan (I chatted with CS to confirm before signing up ..said no problem)

Emailed billing got the ok, asked then to credit me the $4.95, or start on month later. Instead they start the $99 plan in 15 days and charge my credit card $24.99 – comment “signup billing”. I email billing said I will get a credit for unused amount! – I’m feeling used. We’ll see if this turns out .. stay tuned

Then to top it all off, after provisioning my number, and setting up my voice mail they changed my number! They gave it away.

How am I to trust them to port my number??

BTW: The mobile option is a bit misleading as there they offer a generic SIP service, you then are recommended to purchase a app for your Android, or iPhone. Not a deal breaker, but again misleading.
Other mis thoughts:
- Is there a message indicator?
- How do you set up music on hold, as I can't find these in the set up.

My point is that their knowledge base is limited, and so is their technical support, add that to their business practices and I feel like I'm dealing with the phone company I'm trying to leave! :-(

(review was emailed from domain directroad.com)

Comments:
axvoice

join:2007-08-20
NY

All issues were addressed

First off, we do send confirmation email after signup. None of our mail servers is blocked for spamming. We closely monitor that. If this happens we'll be loosing a lot of customers since email is one important mode of providing support and ticketing system. You might want to check your mail server since you are using your own domain.
We did confirm that you will receive a prorated refund for any unused days/deposit. Please double check your emails.
We use number inventories from different vendors which is accessible to many VoIP providers. Number you select at signup is a temporary number. We activate a number when someone actually registers his device with our server. We don't want to be wasting numbers because there are costs associated. That is why most of the providers don't even let you select the last 4 digits of the phone number.

Re: All issues were addressed

Axvoice, the company built on excuses strikes yet again...

Review by AlanWit See Profile

Good "Works when I need it to and doesnt break the bank"
Bad "None so far...All A okay.."

Considering all options and pricing, axvoice and their service is best for me. I pay a great price each month and use the service occasionally, but when I do use the phone everything works and that is what I like to pay for, good service and great pricing. I signed up for axvoice after reading some great reviews online about them and then decided it doesn't make sense to pay Comcast well over $35 dollars per month for a phone I don't use that much. My cell phone is my primarily used phone and I don't want to lose my home phone number either that I've had for pretty much over 15 years so I found axvoice and read their service is great and I liked their price a lot. I had to get customer service’s help when it came to an install issue for the router box and they helped me through the problem in minutes and I was up and running. Highly recommend axvoice!