Alaska Communications Systems page on DSLReports
Closed to new reviews.

Review by cuiosgeorge2 See Profile

• Location: Soldotna,Kenai Peninsula,AK
Good "NONE"
Bad "Traffic shaping, and peer to peer port blocking!"
Overall "THEY PROVIDE TERRIBLE SERVICE!!!!"

First of all it took them over 2 weeks to get me my modem. Then after a couple weeks of use i stated noticing my peer to peer programs were running terribly all of a sudden, then a week later they quit working all together. I called ACS and told them what was going on and what do you know they claim i had a virus on my system so they HAD to block my p2p ports. I scanned with my antivirus (notron internet secutity) and found nuthing (just as i expected) then with the two bullcrap online scanners they recommended whic probrably had spyware and of course they found nuthing either. I then called them back to re-establish my service only to find out the real reason they did it was my bandwidth consumption. I dropped their service immediatly and went with GCI cable. Has worked great with no "problems" for almost 7 months now using the same, if not more amount of bandwidth.

Comments:

Review by TheRageAK See Profile

• Location: Anchorage,Anchorage,AK
Good "Available...but"
Bad "....just enough for them to charge you"
Overall "Over priced,miserable performance, stingy with the bandwidth."

At the time of signing up, I considered it a good idea ( I only have 2 options)....and they were the only provider that offered unlimited monthly transfers....but now I understand why.

I initially went with the basic 320/256 DSL package that came with the local phone service bundle. I was not very impressed so after moving I asked to be bumped up to the 1mb/384

deal, they assured this was possible and after about a WEEK , I had a decent connection in my new condo...or so I thought.

I have been getting 1mb down for over a year now then out of nowhere for no apparent reason the provided paradyne 6310 modem/router does connect with them. Now im not new to this computer and internet stuff, so I know things don't just stop working unless something is broken and needs to be fixed. But after multiple visits and calls to and from the ACS office they just came to the conclusion that I am now after a year of somewhat acceptable DSL performance "Just too far from the office to achieve the speeds I am supposed to be getting".....Ok .....so what have I been paying for all this time then?.....Well I know whats really wrong here and I will explain it the same way I explained it to them....only to be ignored and put on a lower more reliable speed.

As some of you might already know there is a big difference in how your modem syncs with their DSLAM, I was on "Interleaved" 1280/384 and all was well.

Then the modem would not connect and they had to some out and fix something, I do not know what as I am always left in the dark. But immediately after that it syncs as "fastpath" 1024/576, and all is crap.

I am too far for the low ping & low error correction of "Fastpath," So I asked to be put on "Interleave" so I had more error bits to prevent the packet loss......they had no idea what I was talking about & what fastpath was. And just offered a slower speed and a lower cost to get me off their backs.

And their motto is "ACS..were there"

Well obviously your not,,,or your DSL isn't anyway.

Its nice to know that its 2007 & I live in one of the wealthiest countries in the world but places like Croatia can provide better broadband service to its citizens.

Stay away from them unless you want to pay for a service they really cannot provide...at least thats what they told me.

Comments:

Review by LordGene See Profile

• Location: Anchorage,Anchorage,AK
Good "Cheap DSL. and good Customer Service"
Bad "Equipment for their DSL services suck. They also have poor technical support and equipment."
Overall "Cheap DSL as usual"

Where to start.. Well I signed up for their services after I couldnt afford GCI anymore. They were very nice to sign me up. Well they have a huge wait time if you don't have phone service with them. Expect 3 days for transfer or longer. Also extra 5 days to have their DSL service set up on your line.

They have cheap prices but they lack the Technical Support. They also have horrible DSL equipment. DSL modems tend to have very latency and faulty. You must be within 20 FT to get the max speeds you pay for. IF you don't, expect 300kb loss of speed or lose connections.

You have a contract to sign up. Not worth it for the problems and limited mobility.

Speeds go as fast as 1.0 megabytes down speed. So overall go to Clearwire.com for your needs (Beware of some ports blocked on their network)