Fairpoint Communications page on DSLReports

Review by ajeff See Profile

• Location: Orleans,Orleans,VT
Good "Rock solid 15meg down, 1meg up"
Bad "None yet"
Overall "After years of the worst internet service on the planet (Great Auk Wireless) FP is like going to heaven."

The morning DSL went live in Westmore I received a call from a FP sales agent who signed me up and a modem was on my doorstep in 48 hours. Hooked up myself and a tech showed up about 2 weeks later to tweak my 30 year old lines - now get the 15meg down anywhere in the house. Lost the Westell modem (junk!) during a thunder storm and a new one was overnighted - can't complain about the service. In dealing with FP on a professional basis, 3 things ring clear: 1) The sales and support people are located in the US and speak perfect English 2) The sales & support people really want to help and solve any problems 3) The sales and support people don't always have all the tools necessary to accomplish #2.

1/26/12 6 months later everything still rock solid....

10/15/12 I hate to be boring but everything is still rock solid - no glitches whatsoever to report. I might suggest changing out the modem/router. I never have to reboot my Netgear DGN2200 ($20 delivered on Ebay). Running Voip.ms and Googlevoice out of an Obi 110 with no issues.

4/25/13 Still rock solid!

11/3/13 No change!

4/7/14 More boring news - still rock solid. BUT - FP lowered my monthly charge by $8 when I called to ask about their latest promotion.

member for 6.7 years, 2678 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by xQim See Profile

• Location: 01234
Good "It connects, no contract"
Bad "Constant Slow Downs Requiring Reboot"
Overall "Way More Expensive and Slower Than The Competition"

Well, I hooked up with Fairpoint and purchased their 7.1Mbps/1Mbps package. I received my modem one day early and was elated. I immediately set up shop and plugged it in. First things first was to do a speed test. Disappointing to say the least. I pulled out a staggering 1.2Mbps/0.35Mbps. Now I am hardly surprised as I have had their service in the past and had the exact same issue. I called tech support and went over the usual useless recycling of my modem and router which is not the problem. Speed test again. Guess what the results yielded, a whooping 1.2Mbps/0.35Mbps.

Update: Turns out it wasn't their fault. I checked the outside box and the wiring was mutilated by some idiot. I connected each color wire to where it belonged, went inside and checked the speed and received 7.1Mbps/1.04Mbps. Definitely satisfied with that.

*Update* 08/01/2013

I am lowering the overall satisfaction rating of Fairpoint because it slows down and/or cuts the speed in half everyday, multiple times a day, which forces me to reset the modem. Once I reset the modem it will go back up to the normal speed. It does this at least six times a day. It only effects the downstream for some odd reason. It doesn't matter what time of day it is. The speed will just auto reduce itself and it is irritating. I'll be switching to Wideband 50Mbps/5Mbps within the next couple of weeks as I am just downright tired of it. I am sure glad I'm not in a contractual agreement.

2nd is Before Reset. 3rd Is After Reset. I unplug it for 30 seconds and plug it back in. Very Annoying.

HERE IT IS AGAIN. It is really starting to enrage me! Why does it constantly auto reduce for no reason? 4th picture is before reset, while 8th is after reset. Read the screen shot times.

*Update* 08/05/2013

The internet is extremely slow as indicated by the speed test screen shot (7th picture). Like I mentioned before, it does this multiple times a day. Once again I reset the modem and here is a screen shot of the outcome after reboot (1st picture).

*Update 08/28/2013*

Upgraded to RR Turbo for $54.94 (20Mbps/2Mbps) vs Fairpoint DSL $54.99 (7.1Mbps/1Mbps). Difference is clear with the 8th picture. Latency is way less, down and up speed is way up. Love the change.

Fairpoint Ethernet: What all Fairpoint connections should be. Surprised they can even do this. 5th Picture. (30Mbps/30Mbps) Expensive.....Jealous?

Comments:
ajeff

·Fairpoint Commun..

I guess it just depends...

...on where you are located. Westmore, VT:
xQim

join:2003-09-20

4 edits

Re: I guess it just depends...

Glad you get such great service.

·Fairpoint Commun..

Re: I guess it just depends...

Down boy - lets not bump the blood pressure! Unfortunately, most of your assumptions are not correct. I am a semi-retired IT consultant whose only connection to FP is through my clients and at my residence. My home service was installed 1 year ago July and most anyone who was going to sign up did at that time, except the numerous well to do seasonal folk who signed up this summer. The only option to FP is Great Auk wireless (Great Ugh!) and they have become, for the most part, a non issue where there is any competition. No cable in Westmore.

You might remember the feel good national news story about FP using draft horses to string fiber through the mud and snow - that was us. What you probably didn't read was that residents of this town brought drinks and tasty goodies out to the crews that were stringing the cable in appreciation of their efforts to bring reliable broadband to this corner of Vermont on time in spite of terrible spring flooding. I pay $50/mo for 15 down and 1 up and I get what I pay for and happy to pay it. To accuse me of Photoshopping my upload is rather childish.

Professionally I deal with FP, Comcast, Charter, Great Auk, and a myriad of phone providers and I can honestly say I have fewer issues with FP than the cable outfits. My guess is that is not as much technical as much as right of way issues in bad weather (read trees falling on lines!).

I agree that there are many sites trashing FP but as we know, satisfied customers rarely post to forums. Pissed customers often post. You posted because you were upset with your treatment by FP - I posted because I have a problem with your gross generalizations. I don't doubt your poor history with FP but I have a problem with stretching that to include the total footprint of the company. As I said before, it depends where you are...

Orleans, VT
I applaud your decision to remove your original review.

Review by jde5500 See Profile

• Location: Drexel,Bates,MO
Good "Absolutely nothing unless you like to be lied to!"
Bad "Horrible had nothing but problems. constantly down, tech says he showed up when he did not"
Overall "If you want to have internet and have any other options choose someone else!!!"

Worst company ever.... never call back, never show up and they say our internet is working when it is not. Paying $100 a month for 12 MB/s but only get 3 MB/s most the time.

We call multiple times a day and IF they put in a repair ticket they just close it with no knowledge by us. They say that their modems a top of line, we looked it up and its only worth $20 (comtrend) Sorry I could buy a better one at a dollar store. Fairpoint Communications is a complete joke. Wouldn't invest it them ever. I know grade school students with more knowledge than their techs have. What a rip off...They come in and do a speed test say all good then leave, never fixing a problem. Paid for new lines instant problems. Oh and you have to pay for a phone line as well, never mentioned in presale or install. Wonderful!!!! We have to call them at least every other month because the internet is down. This week has been everyday. According to them we had a tech out here this morning I was home all day and no one showed up. They also put in the notes that they called at 9 am today and it was 11:30 when they called. The worst time with the internet was when it was out for a month and because of that I lost my job (I worked from home and needed the internet to do my job). They always said that they had sent someone out and never did. We have only had FairPoint Communications for about 6 months and only use them because they are the only ones that service our area without a cap on the usage. Your better off just running off your cellphone you will have better service. Thank you for your time.

Comments:

Review by Kirby Smith See Profile

• Location: Derry,Rockingham,NH
Good "Continued uneventful operation of ex-Verizon FiOS"
Bad "Still no TV"
Overall "Worth every penny"

Fairpoint FAST is heritage Verizon FiOS. (See earlier FiOS review.) I have two ONTs running 30/15 and 30/15. Except for occasional wee hours of the night dropouts, presumably for maintenance, it just keeps chugging along.

member for 13.2 years, 4215 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by hiltonizer See Profile

• Location: Newton,Rockingham,NH
Good "Good speeds, reliabilty, and latency. GREAT pricing."
Bad "Issues, while rare, are slow to correct."
Overall "Fiber service highly recommended."

On my 3rd year with Fairpoint FAST now. In New Hampshire, this is the old and extension off previous Verizon FIOS footprint.

Installation time was average. When I first moved in it took Comcast 2 weeks to get to me, the lead time to cut over to Fairpoint was 10 days or so.

The tech was great. They have a great deal of autonomy, he gave me his cell number and instructed me to call him with any issues. Unfortunately, I had horrific latency and throughput issues, the service was essentially unusable. Troubleshooting this took some time, a few weeks. I was ready to grovel back to Comcast. Eventually they replaced all equipment and ran a direct line to my modem to rule out house wiring and this got things running great.

About 2 years of flawless service later, I had my first real problem. A few -10-20F nights and my connection completely dropped. It was happening nightly for almost a week, phone support was less than useful. Once the subzero cold spell broke, it was fine for a month until the next cold spell, where it died completely. Fortunately I was able to tether my 4G phone for work. Eventually a modem/router and ONT replacement were done after they exhausted all other options and things went back to being great. It took almost 3 weeks and 3 tech visits to get this resolved. I got the sense support is disorganized and punts things around.

It's been almost year since then, hopefully no more problems with the cold spell this winter. I was locked in 3 years ago at the 30mbps for $40/mo rate and am happy to have dealt with the few hiccups. Even with my data overage from tethering during outages, I'm still WAAAAAAAAAY ahead of where I would be with Comcast, which had horrible reliability during peak hours... and required modem replacement every 6 months or so.

My biggest complaint would be the Actiontec Routers, my 2nd one is OK now that its a newer version equipped with N networking, the previous one required lots of rebooting. The lack of features and having to at the very least use it as a bridge sucks, I wish I could replace it without much hassle and put a real piece of equipment in its place. One of these days I may hack around it.

I'm in IT, and work remotely almost exclusively. It suits my purposes very well.

Speedtest: »www.speedtest.net/my-result/2933121469

Comments:

Review by NObama See Profile

• Location: Nashua,Hillsborough,NH
Good "Price, Speed (30 / 15), UNMETERED connection"
Bad "Nothing yet"
Overall "If it is reliable, it is a great value for the money"

·magicjack.com
3/18/2013 UPDATE - Connection and performance are still as good as the day we had it connected. No issues and have not had any outages. No complaints. Thank you Fairpoint.

SEP 2012 INSTALL - Moved to a new house in an area that Verizon wired for FIOS prior to selling it off to Fairpoint. My Comcast internet was fast, but suffered modem resets on almost a daily basis over the past year.

Cutting the cord anyway. No more Cable TV. With an unmetered fiber connection, HDTV antenna with all the Boston channels, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and a Roku, we should be good for a while. $150/mo to Comcast was too much.

Appointment was set between 8am and 5pm today, and I figured i would be waiting until 430 for the tech to show. Fairpoint confirmed yesterday with an automated system. The tech called around 9am and said he would be here in 30 minutes. Did the walk through, picked the spot for the box, and he was done a little after noon. He took lunch while the home office provisioned the unit, came back around 130, and it was working.

30/15 connection, unmetered, for $45/month.

Tested at 29+/14+. Let's hope it stays that way.

Six weeks or so later and speeds are still right up there. Like other ISPs, occasional congestion slows speeds down on occasion. My work laptop at times won't connect to the wireless modem/router Fairpoint provided. It has been okay recently, but I am not sold on the provided modem/router.

All told, I am still satisfied with the service so far.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:
johnmull

join:2012-11-27
Manchester, NH

nice

it really does depend on where you are, southern NH is great but in manchester NH where i am i can get a max of 1.5 D and .750 up, terrible speeds and after numerous techs coming to see the problem they basically told me i have no choice either go with 3mb down and get disconnected all the time or stay with 1.5mb and have a stable connection. basically i was told i am too far from the service center and the further you are the worse it gets, i really wish fiber was around here but i think comcast owns this city. i'm ready to pay a little extra so i can watch youtube videos while my kids watch netflix, its pretty sad i have to turn off HD when watching youtube 480p is just not the same

Review by tschmidt See Profile

• Location: Milford,Hillsborough,NH
Good "Reliable"
Bad "Speed and PPPoE instability"
Overall "Happy with the service wish we qualified for faster speed"

12/13/2012 UPDATE Just signed up with G4 Communication bundled phone and ADSL service. Speed is twice as fast and we wound up saving $20 a month.

»/comment/86416

7/25/2012 UPDATE 4th year with FairPoint. Still stuck at 3Mbps. Service has been stable consistently delivering advertised speed. A month ago Manchester NH DNS server failed resulting in fallback to secondary server, problem was quickly resolved.

8/9/2011 UPDATE 3rd year with FairPoint. It has been a pretty uneventful year here in Southern NH, even though FairPoint has had serious problems in other parts of New England, especially Maine. Would love to get higher speed but circuit is too long. 3 Mbps works well enough for Netflix streaming and multiple computers but more speed would be a plus

8/17/2010 UPDATE 2nd year with FairPoint. Service has been reliable. In May grandfathered ADSL rate of $29.95 ended, new rate for 1500/3000 service is $35.99. This reduces the price difference between 3meg and 7 Meg DSL to only $4 a month. Too bad I'm too far to qualify for the higher speed.

Decided to discontinue one of our two wired phone lines. Unfortunately the number we wanted to keep was not the line that had DSL. Back when we first got DSL testing indicated that line had the best characteristics. Expected change would be difficult and did not want to risk losing DSL. Rep I spoke to indicated it would not be a problem. Step 1) Discontinue the line we no longer needed. Step 2) Place a hold on that phone number so it would not be reassigned. Step 3) Transfer number to DSL line and retire the existing number. Had some trepidation about the process but it went smoothly. Called every few days to make sure things were progressing as planned.

We have gone through an interesting history as far as number of phone lines is concerned. Before the Internet, or BBS for you old timers, we had a single voice line. During the heyday of dialup had three voice lines with a separate dry pair for SDSL. Now in 2010 we are back to single line for voice and ADSL.

6/22/2009 UPDATE One year anniversary with FairPoint. We were spared worst of the problems when FairPoint converted from using Verizon systems to their own. Email was a problem for a few days but as I do not use ISP email was not a big deal. Speed has been consistent. Have not had any problems sending and receiving email from my hosted domain. As with Verizon have occasional problems maintaining PPPoE session. However PPPoE session disconnects seem to occur less frequently with FairPoint.

FairPoint announced they will not include Usenet access for VT/NH/ME DSL customers. Seems to be a trend with broadband suppliers scaling back on Usenet access.

6/23/2008 Verizon sold wireline assets including DSL in VT/NH/ME to FairPoint communication. As a long time Verizon DSL customer had been on an annual contact to reduce cost. Called FairPoint about contract pricing. Much to my surprise was told there is no annual contract and I was grandfathered at contract price. Was told “Tax recovery fee” of $1.45 was being eliminated.

Last part of my annual DSL renewal ritual was to ask for upgrade from 1500/384 to 3000/768. Each year my house magically moves farther away or closer to the Central Office. Rep said distance is 12,600 feet (with bridged taps) too far for 3000/768. Said system allowed him to request upgrade (at no cost just like Verizon). Said it would not change until Monday. Was skeptical but had nothing to lose. Sure enough on Monday modem (Netopia 3346N) was syncing at 3360/864. Margin is down quite a bit as expected to 24/10 dB from 31/23 dB and transmit power is up. Did a few speed test benchmarks: 2875/725 kbp/s. Was hoping to be upgraded to ADSL2+, as it improves performance over long lines, but that did not happen.

member for 13.4 years, 7510 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mutex77 See Profile

• Location: Salem,Rockingham,NH
Good "Way better than comcast, and alot cheaper"

Ive had comcast, verizon and now fairpoint at various houses over the last few years. I moved to southern NH and signed up for comcast for tv & phone and fairpoint for inet. I'd definitely fall into the "heavy inet usage" catagory, and ive been that way for over a decade. The inet goes down and I start to shrivel

Fairpoint was awesome with the install, calling the installer about some minor probs and then having him call me to figure out how to make it work. I had a small emergency and had to leave for 15 mins during that 4 hour window where they were supposed to show up. Comcast told me if i wasnt there i'd have to reschedule. Of course comcast was then almost 4 hours late so it wasnt an issue.

Its now been about 6 months, and I still have comcast TV and fairpoint inet. Ive had 2 cable boxes from comcast fail and some other problems with the TV, but the fairpoint inet has been awesome. No probs at all.

The speed on fairpoints FAST is comparable to FIOS, which is very fast imo. 30Mdown, 15M up and for the most part I seem to get it. Ive seen comcast's xfinity do ok on speedtest.com, but then saw large file downloads get noticeably slower. I found out this is comcasts "speed boost", it goes fast at the beginning or for a small file (or speed test) but then they slow it down. When I pay for a certain speed, I expect that speed all the time. I downloaded a linux dvd over bittorrent from my friends comcast connection and it averaged 275kbs, I went home and downloaded the same at 480kbs. My connection is 30M down, his is "up to 50M down" and pays over twice as much for his inet. We actually ran a few more tests over the next few days and there was 1 that comcast just barely won, the rest were fairpoint hands down.

Now the best part. Fairpoint is $40 for inet, and then around $5 for the modem so my bill is $45. No fees or other BS. My comcast tv/phone package is $119, but by the time your done with all the fees and other BS its over $150.

Ive heard horrible things about Fairpoint. Seems like they had nightmare in ME and VT but I can tell you in southern NH they're awesome. I just wish they had FIOS TV and I could dump comcast altogether!!

Comments:

Review by GraysonPeddi See Profile

• Location: Altha,Calhoun,FL
Good "Good Internet Service; 6 Mbps"
Bad "Random Internet Disconnects Between 30 seconds to 1 minute; Modem is a router"
Overall "Altha is a small town, so loss of Internet connection is expected."

My mom pays for service as she owns her house, so I don't know all the details of the ordering process and all that stuff. Well, with 6Mbps, I get good Internet connection speed but there are two things:

My mom does not know that the DSL modem is a router so when she got a Cisco/Linksys router with 192.168.1.x subnet, the Internet connection won't work due to both the modem and router having its DHCP server turned on by default. I must note that it's a couple of years ago so I helped her solve problem as I'm her tech support. When I told my mom to disable DHCP server in the Cisco, it worked. I do hold a grudge about modems having a built-in router due to me being tech-savvy, but for those who have no knowledge of how to setup their own network, it makes sense to have a router built into a modem. But for those of us (me and my mom) who already HAVE a router in the first place, well, that can be troublesome. Recently, I did took the Linksys/Cisco router out of the picture and enabled wireless access point in the modem's built-in router.

For internet connectivity, I've lost Internet connection like countless number of times for every 30 seconds to a minute or two before the Internet connection comes back online. When I say "countless," I meant like once every hour, 2 hours, 6 hours, or maybe about a day or two.

The name of the DSL router is ComTrend ADSL Router (192.168.1.254 with a default admin username and password but I won't change it because it's not mine) however I don't know the model number.

member for 3.8 years, 1386 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ymiontwitr See Profile

• Location: Bedford,Hillsborough,NH
Good "It's the internet"
Bad "Everything else"
Overall "It sucks"

To hear Fairpoint Support tell it, I should just be thankful I get internet service at all. It may not be as fast as the 1.5mbps Verizon DSL service I had 7 years ago and there is a 3-5 minute outage every night between 11:55pm and 12:05am, but I just have to deal with it. And let's not even talk about all the hurdles I had to jump just to begin receiving the service. No wonder they insist on a 12-month contract. Never thought I'd be saying this but I guess I was just spoiled by Comcast. Granted they are more expensive, dollar for dollar you are definitely getting more for your money with them. I can't even listen to Pandora on my Fairpoint service without my wife complaining that she can't do her school work.