Fairpoint Communications page on DSLReports

Review by xQim See Profile

• Location: 01234
Good "It Connects Most Of The Time, No Contract"
Bad "Constant Slow Downs & Drops Requiring Reboot, Never Get Close to Advertised Speeds"
Overall "Way More Expensive and Slower Than The Competition, Terrible ISP"

unFairpoint has to be the worst ISP in the areas it provides services too. I don't need anyone to counter my claim because you will be 1 person out of 10,000 that actually gets the service you are paying for. Except for FAST, the price to speed ratio is downright abysmal. It costs $60/Month for 7.1Mbps/1Mbps. How is that competition when you can get TWC 50Mbps/5Mbps for $5 more? I still think TWC packages are garbage too. The Ultimate should be a minimum of 10Mbps upload. Anyways, I have had unFairpoint DSL several times. All of them were not by choice, as the house wasn't hooked up to the cable grid and I wasn't going to pay $6000 for TWC to run a line up my 1200ft long driveway. I also had it in another town where my distance was 5000ft to the CO, and another town where my distance was 3100ft from the CO and still didn't receive advertised speeds. It started out with Pivot.Net. Anyone remember that horrendous service? It was $60/Month for 256Kbps/96Kbps. Anyways, Pivot.Net was taken over by unFairpoint and the speed went up very slowly. The quickest package for DSL is 15Mbps/1Mbps if you are lucky enough to be in the area that provides this. Most people only have access to the whopping 3Mbps/1Mbps service. Furthermore, GWI leases lines from unFairpoint and can provide 20Mbps/1Mbps @ $44.99/Month. Why can't unFairpoint provide these speeds and pricing?

This is opinion based on experiences with this company. They do not care at all about their customers. Out of all the times I have had their DSL service, at no point did I receive advertised speeds. I realize the gimmick is "up to" but there should at least be a "best effort" to try and give customers the speeds they are paying for. I was even told by a technician that they oversubscribe DSL users 200% plus above what their equipment is capable of and what the town is allotted for speed. Every single time I had the service I would have frequent drops (which was blamed on a hop in New York), slow speeds, even slower between 4pm - 11pm (3rd Picture). Generally, the upload speed was quicker than the download. I also ran into an issue where everyday my speed would be cut in half for no reason, forcing me to continously keep rebooting the modem until my speeds returned to normal. The tech support is terrible. It gets old hearing, "Have you tried rebooting the modem," or "you need to plug the computer directly into the modem," as if either one of these fixes anything.

The service, tech support, and prices are terrible. Yes, the tech support speaks English, but what good is that when they have no idea what they're talking about? The best advice I can give anyone is AVOID this company at all costs unless it is the only landline service.

Here is what I received on a 7.1Mbps/1Mbps service (2nd Picture) and the other picture is what unFairpoint speeds should be (1st Picture | Ethernet 30Mbps/30Mbps). Furthermore, why is DSL always capped at 1Mbps upload when some of the DSL protocols are capable of 3.5Mbps upload? The answer is obvious. They have no competition so there is zero incentive to improve anything. As stated before:

Zero Competition = Terrible Service

Comments:
ajeff

·Fairpoint Commun..

I guess it just depends...

...on where you are located. Westmore, VT:
xQim

join:2003-09-20

4 edits

Re: I guess it just depends...

Glad you get such great service.

·Fairpoint Commun..

Re: I guess it just depends...

Down boy - lets not bump the blood pressure! Unfortunately, most of your assumptions are not correct. I am a semi-retired IT consultant whose only connection to FP is through my clients and at my residence. My home service was installed 1 year ago July and most anyone who was going to sign up did at that time, except the numerous well to do seasonal folk who signed up this summer. The only option to FP is Great Auk wireless (Great Ugh!) and they have become, for the most part, a non issue where there is any competition. No cable in Westmore.

You might remember the feel good national news story about FP using draft horses to string fiber through the mud and snow - that was us. What you probably didn't read was that residents of this town brought drinks and tasty goodies out to the crews that were stringing the cable in appreciation of their efforts to bring reliable broadband to this corner of Vermont on time in spite of terrible spring flooding. I pay $50/mo for 15 down and 1 up and I get what I pay for and happy to pay it. To accuse me of Photoshopping my upload is rather childish.

Professionally I deal with FP, Comcast, Charter, Great Auk, and a myriad of phone providers and I can honestly say I have fewer issues with FP than the cable outfits. My guess is that is not as much technical as much as right of way issues in bad weather (read trees falling on lines!).

I agree that there are many sites trashing FP but as we know, satisfied customers rarely post to forums. Pissed customers often post. You posted because you were upset with your treatment by FP - I posted because I have a problem with your gross generalizations. I don't doubt your poor history with FP but I have a problem with stretching that to include the total footprint of the company. As I said before, it depends where you are...

Orleans, VT
I applaud your decision to remove your original review.

Review by ajeff See Profile

• Location: Orleans,Orleans,VT
Good "Rock solid 15meg down, 1meg up"
Bad "None yet"
Overall "After years of the worst internet service on the planet (Great Auk Wireless) FP is like going to heaven."

The morning DSL went live in Westmore I received a call from a FP sales agent who signed me up and a modem was on my doorstep in 48 hours. Hooked up myself and a tech showed up about 2 weeks later to tweak my 30 year old lines - now get the 15meg down anywhere in the house. Lost the Westell modem (junk!) during a thunder storm and a new one was overnighted - can't complain about the service. In dealing with FP on a professional basis, 3 things ring clear: 1) The sales and support people are located in the US and speak perfect English 2) The sales & support people really want to help and solve any problems 3) The sales and support people don't always have all the tools necessary to accomplish #2.

1/26/12 6 months later everything still rock solid....

10/15/12 I hate to be boring but everything is still rock solid - no glitches whatsoever to report. I might suggest changing out the modem/router. I never have to reboot my Netgear DGN2200 ($20 delivered on Ebay). Running Voip.ms and Googlevoice out of an Obi 110 with no issues.

4/25/13 Still rock solid!

11/3/13 No change!

4/7/14 More boring news - still rock solid. BUT - FP lowered my monthly charge by $8 when I called to ask about their latest promotion.

8/18/14 still rock solid 24/7!

member for 7 years, 2898 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
xQim

join:2003-09-20
·Fairpoint Commun..

You are the only one....

You are about the only person to receive close to advertised speeds. I am nothing short of amazed. I would however, love to see a few other peoples speed test results that also live in the same town as you to get an average.

And how far are you away from the CO? I'm betting less than 5000ft.

Review by modem_reset See Profile

Good "Relable Rock stead service"
Bad "Price..but we all want more"
Overall "if relability is better then speed..DSL"

·ObiVoice
My home setup is not the 'normal' setup.

My incoming line is sent into a PfSense box, Nic1 is my internal network. Nic 2 is an outside network for another home (that we own).

On Nic1 (internal), I have the following VM servers:
FreePBX
OwnCloud
Plex
Unifi

An always working Internet line is paramount to us. Living in rural maine (poland), we frequently loose power, and we would loose cable as a result.

The 3 issues I have had were:
1.) Self inflicted, I wired my DSL line through a surge protecter, forgot about it and had a lightning strike nearby. THis took out the lines and limited speeds..
FairPoint came out next day, found the issue and was resolved.
2.) Bad Power Pack. Orignal PowerPack for the modem died with in 6 mos of usage. I have another with same output and put it in. Fairpoint came out again and replaced it.
3.) Planned maintance one night at 12-630am. Nothing I could do on that line. After talking with the Local tech, they moved us to a fiber backbone out of the LO

All in all...I'm very pleased with the service, but as I said we always want more speed.

I just don't see that changing any time soon.

I had TWC RR service (worked there for a few year), in the same home.

In a 6mos period Cable dropped out over 10 times due to power issues. My DSL never droped

member for 4.2 years, 793 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Biff See Profile

• Location: Canaan,Grafton,NH
Good "Low(er) cost than Comcast"
Bad "Bad installation experience, intermittent service, terrible repair"
Overall "Avoid like the plague"

I moved from Comcast to Fairpoint at the same time that I switched to DirectTV. We set a date for installation after I explained that they would have to pull wire from the street because it is new construction. Although I was told to be home between 9am and 5pm, they said to call at 9am for a more specific time. I called and they said that they couldn't do that (sigh). At 4:45pm, I got a call to ask if I still wanted someone to come and I said, "of course". A single tech showed up, ready to install the modem, but not ready to pull the wire. By then, I was more than a bit peeved and said that I had pulled plenty of wire before (I did infrastructure for four hospitals) and would feed from the street. Muttering under his breath that he was working late, he pulled a ratty old spool of wire from the van. After pulling the wire to the dmarc, he told me that he would have to charge extra to run wire from the demarc to the patch panel. I said, "I'll do it while you punch down on the street" and completed the inside wiring using my own CAT6. We finally got the thing installed and he tried to walk off before we tested. It finally was operational at 7pm.

Since then, I have had multiple outages or extreme slowness. When I call service, they never give their names or the number of the ticket and usually are late or fail to appear at all. I have worked with Verizon, SBC, Comcast, Teljet and other overseas Telcom companies and Fairpoint is absolutely at the bottom of the barrel and only slightly better than a wet string.

By the way, if you ever have a chance to work with First Light (Teljet), they are undoubtedly the best.

Comments:

Review by jde5500 See Profile

• Location: Drexel,Bates,MO
Good "Absolutely nothing unless you like to be lied to!"
Bad "Horrible had nothing but problems. constantly down, tech says he showed up when he did not"
Overall "If you want to have internet and have any other options choose someone else!!!"

Worst company ever.... never call back, never show up and they say our internet is working when it is not. Paying $100 a month for 12 MB/s but only get 3 MB/s most the time.

We call multiple times a day and IF they put in a repair ticket they just close it with no knowledge by us. They say that their modems a top of line, we looked it up and its only worth $20 (comtrend) Sorry I could buy a better one at a dollar store. Fairpoint Communications is a complete joke. Wouldn't invest it them ever. I know grade school students with more knowledge than their techs have. What a rip off...They come in and do a speed test say all good then leave, never fixing a problem. Paid for new lines instant problems. Oh and you have to pay for a phone line as well, never mentioned in presale or install. Wonderful!!!! We have to call them at least every other month because the internet is down. This week has been everyday. According to them we had a tech out here this morning I was home all day and no one showed up. They also put in the notes that they called at 9 am today and it was 11:30 when they called. The worst time with the internet was when it was out for a month and because of that I lost my job (I worked from home and needed the internet to do my job). They always said that they had sent someone out and never did. We have only had FairPoint Communications for about 6 months and only use them because they are the only ones that service our area without a cap on the usage. Your better off just running off your cellphone you will have better service. Thank you for your time.

Comments:

Review by Kirby Smith See Profile

• Location: Derry,Rockingham,NH
Good "Continued uneventful operation of ex-Verizon FiOS"
Bad "Still no TV"
Overall "Worth every penny"

Fairpoint FAST is heritage Verizon FiOS. (See earlier FiOS review.) I have two ONTs running 30/15 and 30/15. Except for occasional wee hours of the night dropouts, presumably for maintenance, it just keeps chugging along.

member for 13.5 years, 4355 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by hiltonizer See Profile

• Location: Newton,Rockingham,NH
Good "Good speeds, reliabilty, and latency. GREAT pricing."
Bad "Issues, while rare, are slow to correct."
Overall "Fiber service highly recommended."

On my 3rd year with Fairpoint FAST now. In New Hampshire, this is the old and extension off previous Verizon FIOS footprint.

Installation time was average. When I first moved in it took Comcast 2 weeks to get to me, the lead time to cut over to Fairpoint was 10 days or so.

The tech was great. They have a great deal of autonomy, he gave me his cell number and instructed me to call him with any issues. Unfortunately, I had horrific latency and throughput issues, the service was essentially unusable. Troubleshooting this took some time, a few weeks. I was ready to grovel back to Comcast. Eventually they replaced all equipment and ran a direct line to my modem to rule out house wiring and this got things running great.

About 2 years of flawless service later, I had my first real problem. A few -10-20F nights and my connection completely dropped. It was happening nightly for almost a week, phone support was less than useful. Once the subzero cold spell broke, it was fine for a month until the next cold spell, where it died completely. Fortunately I was able to tether my 4G phone for work. Eventually a modem/router and ONT replacement were done after they exhausted all other options and things went back to being great. It took almost 3 weeks and 3 tech visits to get this resolved. I got the sense support is disorganized and punts things around.

It's been almost year since then, hopefully no more problems with the cold spell this winter. I was locked in 3 years ago at the 30mbps for $40/mo rate and am happy to have dealt with the few hiccups. Even with my data overage from tethering during outages, I'm still WAAAAAAAAAY ahead of where I would be with Comcast, which had horrible reliability during peak hours... and required modem replacement every 6 months or so.

My biggest complaint would be the Actiontec Routers, my 2nd one is OK now that its a newer version equipped with N networking, the previous one required lots of rebooting. The lack of features and having to at the very least use it as a bridge sucks, I wish I could replace it without much hassle and put a real piece of equipment in its place. One of these days I may hack around it.

I'm in IT, and work remotely almost exclusively. It suits my purposes very well.

Speedtest: »www.speedtest.net/my-result/2933121469

Comments:

Review by NObama See Profile

• Location: Nashua,Hillsborough,NH
Good "Price, Speed (30 / 15), UNMETERED connection"
Bad "Nothing yet"
Overall "If it is reliable, it is a great value for the money"

·magicjack.com
3/18/2013 UPDATE - Connection and performance are still as good as the day we had it connected. No issues and have not had any outages. No complaints. Thank you Fairpoint.

SEP 2012 INSTALL - Moved to a new house in an area that Verizon wired for FIOS prior to selling it off to Fairpoint. My Comcast internet was fast, but suffered modem resets on almost a daily basis over the past year.

Cutting the cord anyway. No more Cable TV. With an unmetered fiber connection, HDTV antenna with all the Boston channels, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and a Roku, we should be good for a while. $150/mo to Comcast was too much.

Appointment was set between 8am and 5pm today, and I figured i would be waiting until 430 for the tech to show. Fairpoint confirmed yesterday with an automated system. The tech called around 9am and said he would be here in 30 minutes. Did the walk through, picked the spot for the box, and he was done a little after noon. He took lunch while the home office provisioned the unit, came back around 130, and it was working.

30/15 connection, unmetered, for $45/month.

Tested at 29+/14+. Let's hope it stays that way.

Six weeks or so later and speeds are still right up there. Like other ISPs, occasional congestion slows speeds down on occasion. My work laptop at times won't connect to the wireless modem/router Fairpoint provided. It has been okay recently, but I am not sold on the provided modem/router.

All told, I am still satisfied with the service so far.

member for 8.8 years, 753 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
johnmull

join:2012-11-27
Manchester, NH

nice

it really does depend on where you are, southern NH is great but in manchester NH where i am i can get a max of 1.5 D and .750 up, terrible speeds and after numerous techs coming to see the problem they basically told me i have no choice either go with 3mb down and get disconnected all the time or stay with 1.5mb and have a stable connection. basically i was told i am too far from the service center and the further you are the worse it gets, i really wish fiber was around here but i think comcast owns this city. i'm ready to pay a little extra so i can watch youtube videos while my kids watch netflix, its pretty sad i have to turn off HD when watching youtube 480p is just not the same

Review by tschmidt See Profile

• Location: Milford,Hillsborough,NH
Good "Reliable"
Bad "Speed and PPPoE instability"
Overall "Happy with the service wish we qualified for faster speed"

12/13/2012 UPDATE Just signed up with G4 Communication bundled phone and ADSL service. Speed is twice as fast and we wound up saving $20 a month.

»/comment/86416

7/25/2012 UPDATE 4th year with FairPoint. Still stuck at 3Mbps. Service has been stable consistently delivering advertised speed. A month ago Manchester NH DNS server failed resulting in fallback to secondary server, problem was quickly resolved.

8/9/2011 UPDATE 3rd year with FairPoint. It has been a pretty uneventful year here in Southern NH, even though FairPoint has had serious problems in other parts of New England, especially Maine. Would love to get higher speed but circuit is too long. 3 Mbps works well enough for Netflix streaming and multiple computers but more speed would be a plus

8/17/2010 UPDATE 2nd year with FairPoint. Service has been reliable. In May grandfathered ADSL rate of $29.95 ended, new rate for 1500/3000 service is $35.99. This reduces the price difference between 3meg and 7 Meg DSL to only $4 a month. Too bad I'm too far to qualify for the higher speed.

Decided to discontinue one of our two wired phone lines. Unfortunately the number we wanted to keep was not the line that had DSL. Back when we first got DSL testing indicated that line had the best characteristics. Expected change would be difficult and did not want to risk losing DSL. Rep I spoke to indicated it would not be a problem. Step 1) Discontinue the line we no longer needed. Step 2) Place a hold on that phone number so it would not be reassigned. Step 3) Transfer number to DSL line and retire the existing number. Had some trepidation about the process but it went smoothly. Called every few days to make sure things were progressing as planned.

We have gone through an interesting history as far as number of phone lines is concerned. Before the Internet, or BBS for you old timers, we had a single voice line. During the heyday of dialup had three voice lines with a separate dry pair for SDSL. Now in 2010 we are back to single line for voice and ADSL.

6/22/2009 UPDATE One year anniversary with FairPoint. We were spared worst of the problems when FairPoint converted from using Verizon systems to their own. Email was a problem for a few days but as I do not use ISP email was not a big deal. Speed has been consistent. Have not had any problems sending and receiving email from my hosted domain. As with Verizon have occasional problems maintaining PPPoE session. However PPPoE session disconnects seem to occur less frequently with FairPoint.

FairPoint announced they will not include Usenet access for VT/NH/ME DSL customers. Seems to be a trend with broadband suppliers scaling back on Usenet access.

6/23/2008 Verizon sold wireline assets including DSL in VT/NH/ME to FairPoint communication. As a long time Verizon DSL customer had been on an annual contact to reduce cost. Called FairPoint about contract pricing. Much to my surprise was told there is no annual contract and I was grandfathered at contract price. Was told “Tax recovery fee” of $1.45 was being eliminated.

Last part of my annual DSL renewal ritual was to ask for upgrade from 1500/384 to 3000/768. Each year my house magically moves farther away or closer to the Central Office. Rep said distance is 12,600 feet (with bridged taps) too far for 3000/768. Said system allowed him to request upgrade (at no cost just like Verizon). Said it would not change until Monday. Was skeptical but had nothing to lose. Sure enough on Monday modem (Netopia 3346N) was syncing at 3360/864. Margin is down quite a bit as expected to 24/10 dB from 31/23 dB and transmit power is up. Did a few speed test benchmarks: 2875/725 kbp/s. Was hoping to be upgraded to ADSL2+, as it improves performance over long lines, but that did not happen.

member for 13.7 years, 7726 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mutex77 See Profile

• Location: Salem,Rockingham,NH
Good "Way better than comcast, and alot cheaper"

Ive had comcast, verizon and now fairpoint at various houses over the last few years. I moved to southern NH and signed up for comcast for tv & phone and fairpoint for inet. I'd definitely fall into the "heavy inet usage" catagory, and ive been that way for over a decade. The inet goes down and I start to shrivel

Fairpoint was awesome with the install, calling the installer about some minor probs and then having him call me to figure out how to make it work. I had a small emergency and had to leave for 15 mins during that 4 hour window where they were supposed to show up. Comcast told me if i wasnt there i'd have to reschedule. Of course comcast was then almost 4 hours late so it wasnt an issue.

Its now been about 6 months, and I still have comcast TV and fairpoint inet. Ive had 2 cable boxes from comcast fail and some other problems with the TV, but the fairpoint inet has been awesome. No probs at all.

The speed on fairpoints FAST is comparable to FIOS, which is very fast imo. 30Mdown, 15M up and for the most part I seem to get it. Ive seen comcast's xfinity do ok on speedtest.com, but then saw large file downloads get noticeably slower. I found out this is comcasts "speed boost", it goes fast at the beginning or for a small file (or speed test) but then they slow it down. When I pay for a certain speed, I expect that speed all the time. I downloaded a linux dvd over bittorrent from my friends comcast connection and it averaged 275kbs, I went home and downloaded the same at 480kbs. My connection is 30M down, his is "up to 50M down" and pays over twice as much for his inet. We actually ran a few more tests over the next few days and there was 1 that comcast just barely won, the rest were fairpoint hands down.

Now the best part. Fairpoint is $40 for inet, and then around $5 for the modem so my bill is $45. No fees or other BS. My comcast tv/phone package is $119, but by the time your done with all the fees and other BS its over $150.

Ive heard horrible things about Fairpoint. Seems like they had nightmare in ME and VT but I can tell you in southern NH they're awesome. I just wish they had FIOS TV and I could dump comcast altogether!!